Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  6:12:30 PM  Show Profile
and here is a stone truck that a man in Calais made. I think it is pretty clever.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  6:21:23 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

A hot time on the hill farm today. The humidity is rising and the clothes are taking longer to dry on the line. It was in the high eighties today. The temperatures in the house were tolerable. The pond is getting lower and the stream is dry right now. We are lucky that the evening temperatures drop into the low fifties or high forties. If there were a breeze life would be grand.

Taliesin's baseball team won tonight 13 to 5 so they are still in the tournament. Their next game is tomorrow at 6. At least it will be cooler to play and watch in the evenings.

Mrs Guinea keeps those babies close. I put out a feeder and waterer that we use inside when our chicks arrive int he mail. Last year we bought in 12 or so guinea keats and only two made it this far to mate. it would be nice if they all made it to maturity but chances are slim especially since we do not keep them penned. They do set up a racket with their calling but I like it.

I am jealous of those who are making the salsa. Our tomatoes do not even have flowers yet.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  6:32:57 PM  Show Profile
Great pics, Holly!!! Congrats to Mr. And Mrs. Guinea ..... What a great truck!

I'm at work...it is quiet...yea!!!!

Oppps, sorry, Nancy, I sent you the email with my birthday and addressed you as Penny....my bad! Well, age is creeping up! Hehehe....

Chat at you all later!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  02:55:31 AM  Show Profile

Dear Newbies: I am a nut about our dogs and Mollie is our 12 year old Labrador that I natter on about without end.

Oh it has been a long few days. Dear Ol' Mollie, of Mollie's Canyon fame, has been having a tough go of it. The fact that our weather has been about ten degrees above normal has made everything more difficult. It appears that at best, Mollie has urinary tract infection. On Thursday midmorning, Mollie barked to be let outside. A rarity, usually reserved for deer or UPS men. So, when I let her out, I watched to see what the excitement was. She squatted and urinated, then squatted again, and again and again. She came back in and twenty minutes later, she barked again. Strange. She repeated the entire squat, strain, wander, repeat activity. Came back in. Next time she wanted out, I captured a urine specimen with obvious blood. The vet did the testing and called the next day with the news that the UTI is pretty significant and she wants to do blood work. We discussed this decided to treat the UTI at this point and see how Mol is in a week. Blood work would show if Mollie's kidney are shutting down, if we should suspect kidney or bladder cancer. All kinds of bad news that at this point in the gal's life I wouldn't feel it would be kind to treat her for. So we are waiting and watching ... I am good at neither.

So, as usual, when things aren't going smoothly in my life, I have clammed up. I know I should share with you gals, that there is no judgment, only support, but I always feel like a whiner. I wouldn't dream of asking for prayers for my canine when our prayer-power should go to the humans in our group who need them. We have family members fighting cancer, caring for ill ones, living through loss and preparing for surgery. I, of course, am making deals with the devil to keep sweet Mollie comfortable.

On to the big concern, sheesh, again, the job market. Please keep my daughter in your prayers. She needs a break. After six years of college, a year of internship and volunteer work (obviously unpaid) and a 300 mile move away from home, she still cannot find a job that isn't a scam. Did you gals know that there are companies out there that ask you to pay them to work for them? And then you heard about the one offer that she got and took that turned out to be abusive. She is applying to restaurants, but she has little serving experience, mostly sandwich/coffee shop experience. I fear our economy is destroying the spirit of our young people. I know my daughter is not the same person she was when she graduated full of confidence. She is depressed, hopeless and frankly fixated on finding a job.

Boy, when I let loose with the worries, I let loose! I know you all forgive me.

Holly, I couldn't have asked for anything to make me smile more than the Guinea Family Portrait. Great job capturing it. Our quails all hatched and left... still haven't seen them around yet. Glad to hear that Talie has a team that is strong enough to showcase his skills. He has some great potential. I know letting that potential grow will keep you busy these next few important years! I absolutely love the pick up. People can be so clever and patient. It must have taken some doing to find the right size stones for each space. So cool.

NancyOO, It really brings home the difference in our longitude when you are talking fall gardens and I just picked my first two tomatoes!!

Kathy, your salsa is the envy of our house!! It does sound delish. And like it was a lot of slicing, dicing and chopping. Does Jenny prefer kitchen work to the dreaded garden duties?

Oh Thelma, that does sound like a bit of a bother having to turn the hydrant on and off as needed. Hope you move up on the plumbers list soon!

Glenda, Welcome to my club of good intentions. I have always enjoyed snail mail and sending goodies, but I just can not get myself in gear these days. The time flies by and I miss birthday after birthday, not to mention FGOTM. I keep hoping I will pull it together.

Brenda, it is nice to hear from you any time you stop by.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

SisterSue
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Connie Sue
Fredericksburg TX
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  04:53:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi Marianne,
No apologies for ANY prayer requests for me. our four legged family members capture our hearts and when we hurt prayers are always a good answer.
I also feel for you with your daughter. I am new to the group, but I have a struggling daughter of my own. She actually is with her husband stationed at Ft. Lewis, WA but they will be coming back to Texas soon because the Army has eliminated his job. They were just getting started, he has only been in about 18 months. She was a single mom of our darling Chloe who is now 3 and half. After a severely abusive freshman year in college, then back surgery to repair herniated back discs, a rebound marriage, a precious child, divorce, moving in with us (so I was raising both she and little Chloe) too much alcohol, repeated failure at college, then finally meeting a nice young man - marriage again and the move to Washington. I was lost after 2 years of them living with us, but so relieved that we finally were empty nest. Things seem to be settling down, she just had her second daughter. So we have a 3.5 year old grand and now an 8 week old precious grand. But just when things finally seem to be turning around they are surprised with this, having to unexpectedly get out of the army because of budget cuts. She struggles with depression, and I just pray that this new thing doesn't send her in to a tailspin again. I don't think it will, because she is happy now and has a supportive husband (he is actually in the process of adopting Chloe - whose birth father hasn't even seen her since she was 6 months old). Anyway - all that said, to let you know it is an honor to pray for someone else - for pets, for children, for all of it. Takes my mind off of myself! Bless you......

Farmgirl #4283
Go to Top of Page

NancyOO
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Nancy
Sanderson Florida
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  05:06:23 AM  Show Profile
Looks like the two Nancy's are the first to post around here since we are EST. Happy Sunday Morning.

Holly I loved the pictures of Mrs and her kids. And the stone truck is so cool. Is that near you?

Marinne, I to have furbabies and do not have any trouble praying for them. I think Papa cares for them and our relations with our pets be they are important to us. I hear what you are saying about your daughter finding a job too. My bestfriend's daughter is looking for a teaching job. She has applied for several her in our small town and every interview goes very well. then she finds out a few days later that so-an-so's son or other big last name in the county got the job. Since my friends's family has a transplant of only 20 years.... Very discouaging for her. It seams that empolers don't really care about finding good people for jobs.

With my hubby's job he is off two weekends then works two weekends. this is one of his off weekends, always a treat for me since we can attend church together. then I think we are having a family out to eat after wards. His parents, our son and us. Always a nice time.

I love getting to know all of ya'll farmgirl sisters.

Nancy OO
Double O Ranch
Farmgirl #4284
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  07:30:42 AM  Show Profile

People. Dogs. Cats. Gardens. Chickens. Livestock. Kids. Parents. Ourselves. I pray for God's guidance in everything I do. The bible says "pray without ceasing".

Holly I just love your guinea picture. I didn't know they were so cute. The mother is beautiful. The gueneas Dad raised, a life time ago, were ugly gray looking critters.

It is 9:00 am and so hot out one can hardly breath. I will spend another day inside. We have been hit hard by the lack of rain. Crops and livestock, not to mention flowers and veggie gardens, are really starting to show serious stress. We have the county fair going on later this week and I think it will be a bust. People will stay home and the smart ones will give up the dream of the purple ribbon to keep their animals from stressing out.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  08:59:36 AM  Show Profile
Marianne, if I can complain about my mom, you can ask for prayers for anything. Sometimes this is the only safe place to vent. I feel for your daughter. My son just got his first job at 20 years old. He has been trying for ever. He finally got a part time job at the mall.
Has your daughter considered doing something on her own? Pet sitting, dog walking, freelance, she is in a big city that may have opportunities not found in smaller ones. Can she teach something. If she could do whatever she wanted for money, what would it be. It takes time, but people do find a way to make money without jobs. Tell her to think about her talents and if any of them could be turned into a money making opportunity. Ill send positive thoughts her way.
I hope Molly is going to be ok. My old kittie had a bladder infection, it cleared up and she is fine. I'll say a prayer it is the same with Molly.

Holly, as usual your pictures are wonderful. What kind of camera do you use? Love the stone truck!

Connie, I'll pray for your daughter. To many people having a hard time right now. I'm living with my mom because I lost my house and business to the economy downturn. At 55 I'm going to college attempting to get my life back. I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones. It would have been very easy to end up homeless.

I too am going trying harder with the birthdays. I know how nice it is to receive all the cards in the mail.

Well off to the basement for more sewing. I figure I need to get as much done this summer as possible. When school starts I only have time for hours of homework.

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile
Fabric www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  11:54:14 AM  Show Profile
"Sew on sunday rip it out on Monday". I have been sewing most of the afternoon myself - giggle

Being without work is devistating. I was reduced to substitute teaching for s few years before the job of my dreams came along. Cutbacks - and that was in the 1970s! I dislike that word - I prefer to refer to cutbacks as poor politics in the work place with a personality contest thrown in for good measure. Don't give up. I went through some rough spots with a ton of selfdoubt and low self esteem. I wonder how people who have been fired for one reason or another handle the blow. I am so glad I am retired now and my children have good jobs.

Back to sewing. Taa taa Chickie poos.

Edited by - Thelma on Jul 15 2012 11:55:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  5:56:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the salsa praises. Jenny says thanks too. She says she hates to cook, but she does help me a lot in the kitchen; dinner mostly. She is definitely not a baker. I make all the cakes, cupcakes, pies and breads. She does pretty good with the planning and keeping me on schedule and she can follow directions on the boxes or bags, but she's not too good reading a recipe. We're working on that part of her learning curve. The salsa recipe was her idea and while we were doing all that chopping, she was complaining but afterwards, she is loving the outcome. I think she likes cooking way better than gardening.

Oh, by the way.....Jenny's birthday is Aug 26th. She's not an actual MJF sister, but just in case you wanted to know.

Connie - I understand your daughters problem all too well. Oldest daughter has college degree in elementary teaching and is waiting tables at Hard Rock Cafe. You gotta do what you gotta do to survive these days.

Marianne - you have my prayers and Jenny's for your little fur baby. Hope she will be feeling better soon. We all love our pets, but we also know they will go before us unless we are very old, or they are parrots or tortoises. Part of life's plan. But, that doesn't mean we don't love them any less. We just miss them more, because they love us unconditionally. And forgive our shortcomings.

Love the pics of the rock truck and all the little guineas.

That's it for tonight, sisters. Going to bed with a headache. Probably because of the weather.

Later sisters. Prayers all around.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  6:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I am sorry to hear that Molly is not doing well. We have Beecher. He is a Brittany Spaniel. He is our third and as Kethry (almost 16) says he is the fattest oldest one we have had yet. I think he has cancer of some sort. It is hard to make decisions based on reality when hope is always present. Doing what is right is hard and harder when it is someone whom we love and who can not speak their wishes. May her journey be easy.

Around here there is an online service called MonsterInc. I do not know if it is national or not. Apparently, people put there resumes on it and employers head hunt there. A friend who is a nurse moved from a teaching position at the State Hospital to a company that provides wellness programs to corporations. She really likes her job.

SisterSue - I did not know that the Army downsized people. It is good to read that your dd and her dh take care of each other.

The stone truck is about three miles from my house. Our property borders the Calais line. pronounced callous.

We had a little rain in the early evening. Our temperatures while hot for us are seasonably hot. We usually have hot weather for two weeks and then it drops. However this year the hot has been longer than the two weeks. I read several years ago when we had rain every weekend that when the weather is clear and hot in the summer there is less depression in the fall and winter. I think that many of you southern and western women would find our temperatures balmy. The rain cleared some of the humidity from the air.

My camera is a Canon Power shot SX40 HS. It is a PhD camera. Push here dummy. I use it on auto focus most of the time. I just zoom in or zoom out to frame the picture and then click.

Talie's team lost tonight 10 to 7 so they are out of the tournament. He had a hit last night and tonight. I think we are done baseball now until fall ball starts in September.

I am always available to listen to the bumps in people's lives. I know having someone to listen lessens the burden. I am learning that I can not fix every thing for everyone but I can listen.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  8:05:15 PM  Show Profile

Another hot summer day. A little breeze was blowing so was a little better than yesterday. Our 6 year old grandson was out in the heat today and became sick due to the heat. I guess he decorated the bthroom in WalMart. Everyone remember to take a water bottle outside with you, and keep the anmiles watered as well.

Hope Molly had a restful day. I hate it when pets are under the weather.

Taa taa until tomorrow my dear chickie poo friends.

Edited by - Thelma on Jul 15 2012 8:07:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  8:32:52 PM  Show Profile
Holly. Great pic of guineas. I too did not know they could be so cute and they look healthy. Sure hope they make it
Kathy thank you for letting us know about Jennie's bday. I bet she would be thrilled to get a mailbox full of cards. I am away from home so much but I've decided better late than never so I am committed to doing better. Does anybody have a copy of the list they could email to me. I looked high and low this morning and it is. Not to be found I am on the iPhone and it is so hard to manage so will echo
Thelms's good nite chickie poos. Sounds so much better than Old Hens lol

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  8:41:11 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could get some of these people who can't find jobs to come to my farm and caretaker in exchange for free rent. Lots of space for garden and animals but I can not do it by myself. I have beautiful land furnished guest house large raised garden cable Internet
And food. No salary but there are jobs in town Even temporary would help

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  8:56:07 PM  Show Profile
Actually I even have a job of sorts. I have a warehouse full of stuff I need to sell on Ebay and etsy and I don't have the time or inclination to do it. Wish I could find someone to do it for a pecentage. Same with raising livestock. I have the land and could buy the animals but can't take care
Of then by myself fix fence administer meds trim hooves all that but it could be a great setup for someone who wants to live that kind of life but does not have the means to get started. I have a beautiful place going to waste.

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  05:07:32 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies,
I am just stopping by for a few minutes to say hi. I stalk the board, even if I don't post...lol. Today the rest of our company will be leaving and once again we will have the house to ourselves.... it has been quite awhile.

Marianne- I am so praying for your best friend, Molly. It has only been a couple of weeks since I lost my 16 yr old lab. You hate to see them in so much discomfort.

Holly- My mom's guineas that I hatched look different than yours. I love the pic, and was surprised to see the color. I love the pic of the truck.

Glenda- I would sell my house and move to Texas in a heartbeat. Just so I could have cows...lol.

Thelma- Your poor grandson. The heat is terrible this year, everywhere. I took a ride on the motorcycle and had to have my dad come and rescue me. It was so hot that I got too sick to drive.

Nancy- Will be thinking about you on Thursday. It will be wonderful to have your vision improved!

Well, I woke up to quail hatched in the incubator...somehow I did not get them moved to the hatcher and now they are hanging sideways in the incubator as it tilts the eggs. So, I had better take care of them.
Have a wonderful day!

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  05:36:48 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

I just saw 15 geese out in front of my house fly off to the nearby pond. I wonder what they were doing sitting out there in the street. When they get the "call" to fly they honk up a storm.

The weather is very humid with temps in the 90's this week. The big, fluffy clouds are all around us. I love seeing the "pictures" in them. Mostly I see animals on their backs with the paws in the air. We are hoping for a little rain here.

Marianne, my prayers for your little doggie and your DD. My DG, Kelly, applied for over 100 jobs before she finally got one and that is just for the summer as she is still in college. I like what Bunny said about doing something on her own. I do hope she finds something soon. My oldest GD has 3 jobs and still does not make enough to live on her own. She finally saved enough to get a car.
Thelma I am glad you had a whole day of sewing. How great. I sometimes start to sew or do an art project and completely forget time. It would be nice if I could do that more often. Enjoy, sister.

Holly I love the picture of Mrs. Guinea. Those chicks are so adorable. Your photography is superb. I am happy to read the good news about Taliesin's game and that he is still in the tournament. I love that stone truck. How clever some people are to come up with these ideas.

Connie Sue, I, too, was unaware that you could be let out of the service because of job elimination. I hope all will go well with your daughter. I am sure with the new baby and a supportive husband she will do well. Life hands us so many curves. I used to fight and worry about so many things that I now just go with. I think getting older makes many of us see that we can only do what we can. I pray that your SIL will find work soon. It sounds like your DD has found herself a wonderful man.

As Thelma so nicely put it I am "praying without ceasing" for all animals, children, and circumstances. I pray for courage, strength and guidance in all circumstances. I feel so blessed to have all you here. What a great group of ladies we are.

Kathy, I will write Jenny's birthday down on my calendar. How special it will be if she can get lots of cards from us for her birthday. :))

Have a great day everyone. I have errands today....post office, some shopping and ironing, which I really don't mind doing. I will start my eye drops tomorrow getting readiy for my surgery, Thursday.

Happy thoughts to you all.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

NancyOO
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Nancy
Sanderson Florida
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  06:17:48 AM  Show Profile
It's Monday!! I am sure most of you don't need to be reminded of that fact. I hope everyone had a good weekend. We had a nice lunch after church with my in-laws, my mom and our 29 year old son and of course me and hubby. After we got home it was f
Florida summer thunderstorms so we had a nice relaxing day inside for a change.

Patty -I hope your baby quail won't be mared for life hanging from their heads, LOL.

Oh Thelma, that is terrible about your grandson, I hope he is feeling better.

Holly- LOL I love the PhD camera, I know I am proficeint with the other PhD (post hole diggers) Sorry that t
Talie's out of the tourny. I have been to 45 state, 46 if you count being in the airport in Washington state. The only other states beside Hawaii are the New England states. I have told my Hubby that I want a road trip to Maine, Vermont, NH,and RI. So if I make it can I came a knocking on your door to say "hello"

Bunny- I appauld you for going back to school at 55, that is a tough row to hoe. I hope things work out for you.

Well I have a busy week getting the house cleaned up for my son and his family for a weekend visit plus getting read to be gone for a week at my scrapbook "camp". As long as I have eggs and hot dogs for Hubby he is happy. Fried egg sandwiches are his speicalty and hot dogs his favorite meal. Better get started.

Nancy OO
Double O Ranch
Farmgirl #4284

Edited by - NancyOO on Jul 16 2012 06:19:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

SisterSue
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Connie Sue
Fredericksburg TX
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  08:05:47 AM  Show Profile
I served in the Air Force between 1979-1985 and back then when you were in for your enlistment, you were in.
My son in law was trained in rear intelligence for his Stryker (tank) unit, and his unit is deploying in Nov. He and 6 others were trained in the intelligence stuff, well they elimininated that job. So all 7 of them will be discharged. They are getting honorable discharges, and commander will write letters of recommendation for job apps, but still getting out. What scares me is now that unit is deploying without the surveillance and intelligence trained troops. Anyway, glad he is not deploying but concerned about their future as they had planned to be in the Army at least 4 more years. He is trained as a plumber, will go to work for his Dad when they get back, but he really wants to be in law enforcement or fireman. I'm just thankful he at least has something to work at when they get home in Nov. My daughter will continue her education as she is able.

Farmgirl #4283
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  09:29:16 AM  Show Profile
Glenda. If you weren't so far away I would almost take you up on your jobs. I just can't deal with the heat, I have fibromyalgia and am only good for about 4 hard working hours a day, and Texas is too far away from my kids. Other than that... Sounds like a great opportunity for someone. There is a website for finding caretakers I'll have to search for it again. But you might be able to find a nice young couple that would be willing to do it. No money changes hands, it's all about care taking and free rent for work. I'll try to find it.

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile
Fabric www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

SisterSue
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Connie Sue
Fredericksburg TX
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  09:37:50 AM  Show Profile
I'm very nearby and am half tempted to take you up on it! Would love to have land to work. I'm really more interested in animals though.

Farmgirl #4283
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  11:47:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi farmgirls!!! I am back from our camping trip. It was relaxing, but very hot. We got home yesterday, and today I feel like I have been up all night. Tired, hot and moving slowly. It is so humid here, no rain. I watered my gardens really well last night, it was pretty wilty by the time we got home with no rain or water for 8 days. They perked up and thanked me for the drink.
I read all the posts, but too much to reply to, just know that I read all that you wrote. Welcome to the newbies.
Bunny, your jacket is beautiful!!!! That will surely be an heirloom. I love the colors. So colorful. You did a splendid job on it.
I will post more later, stay cool and hydrated,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  12:17:43 PM  Show Profile
It is hot hot hot. I am still praying for rain. I am going on a bus tour to 3 different gardens on Wednesday. One is run by Iowa State University. One is privately owned and has tons of water gardens, and the third one is a community effort. We will have lunch on a paddle boat as well. If it is going to rain this week, Wednesday will be the day! Who cares - I will be out dancing in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bunny, I too have fibro. About 4 hours is it for me too. Glenda, if I ever get to Texas I'm staying in your guest house, but only if you chase all those terrible snakes away. giggle

Connie Sue, thank you for serving in the military and keeping this country a wonderful place to live. MY family and I are forever in your debt. Were you ever deployed?

Grandson is ok. Mom gave him a cool shower, changed his clothes, and had him rest for awhile. The family is in Omah, NB this week as our granddaughter is taking dance classes and is in a major recital tonight. Wish I was there to cheer her on. They will be back late Wed. This is the first one of her performances I have missed. Oh well, we will be going on our family vacation together in August.

I started back on my weight watchers program this morning, but won't be able to weigh - in until the 25th. I will probably bore you with it for the next few weeks, but I do need to lose 20 pounds and your support will be a true blessing. Even my doctor agrees that it will help take the stress off my bones. At this time I haven't gained anything, but I have not been exercising so don't look or feel my best. Is there ever a good time to lose weight? Every month or season seems to have a celebration of two to keep me eating.

Back to my sewing room. I want to retrain myself in making button holes this afternoon. taa taa

Edited by - Thelma on Jul 16 2012 12:23:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  12:23:52 PM  Show Profile
Holly, loved the quail pictures. And, if I didn't say so, congratulations to Mr. & Mrs. Quail.

Even though Tallie is out of the tournament - he is a cool athlete ... and I'm sure he can handle whatever the game dishes out.

Kathy, thanks for Jenny's birthday info.

Gypsy ... creative thinking! Bet somebody will take you up on it. If Eric weren't continuing in school (math, now) I'd ship him out to you. He'd probably love it - but, isn't independently wealthy - and needs to find a paying job somewhere around here. At least there are SOME opportunities in the Bay Area. Bunny's idea looks like a fertile area to explore.

Thelma - thank you for the get well wishes for Bernie. As of now, I only know that she will cost me $260 (service and parts) to bail her out of sewing machine ICU. I hope to get a call today to come get her. I have a couple of things cut out that are begging to be stitched. Maybe I wouldn't even be sewing but I need her "at home." I'm kind of hoping you will share the "ideas" you picked up on your Shop Hop. You piqued my interest - I should get going on Xmas projects.

Last year I told the kids and grandkids that grandma and grandpa did NOT want anything they bought. All gifts had to be homemade - or I would take their "envelope" off the tree. That was incentive! We got the BEST stuff! One DD whipped out her calligraphy pen, re-upped her "art" and decoupaged her favorite quotations on parchment paper to plaques that Son-IL had made. A GD made oh-so-good cookies and wrapped them beautifully. DIL made a big pan of homemade tamales. A GS actually made "Apple Pie" hootch (sp) and gave each of us a pint mason jar with cute label and a Christmasy ribbon, yet another wrote each of us a poem and presented them in scrolls. Every "envelope" left the tree ... and everyone said it was the best Christmas ever.

Marianne - prayers for Molly. Hopefully, the UTI can be remedied and that it doesn't turn out to be something beyond that. I know you are worried. You are so supportive of everyone and so kind that when you have something going on, you must let us care for you, too.

We spent the weekend in Oakhurst again. Saturday we went to Fresno (45 miles) and checked out 3 car dealers. We are beginning to wrap up our car criteria search homework and have narrowed our search dramatically. Only a few makers offer the lumbar support on the passenger side. (My comfort is the issue.) And, happily, a few of those makers do allow navigation ability while the car is in motion.I understand the safety issues if the driver were trying to navigate - but I'll be riding shotgun most of the time and want to be able to use the navigation system without DH having to pull over to the side of the road. Good mileage is a requirement as well. Now it's time to do the price comparisons and then order the car.

Sunday we went to a very nice afternoon wedding reception (month after the nuptials) at a campground at Bass Lake. The weather couldn't have been more perfect. They barbecued tri-tip and hot dogs ... the kids went swimming ... the adults visited under canopies that were set up over the picnic tables. There was way too much good food!

Then on the drive home we wound up stopped for a half an hour due to road work and "one way/one lane" traffic on Hwy 41. So we got home around midnight and went straight to bed.

I just haven't had much of interest going on in my life lately - so I haven't posted much. My vegan GS will be visiting this week - arriving around 7 tonight. I do enjoy his company even if I sort of complain about his diet. He's probably healthier than anyone else in the family though - so I guess I could take a clue from his grocery shopping.

My cell phone just buzzed that it's noon and I have to move on to other things.

Echoing others saying prayers for everyone -- extra for Nancy facing surgery on Thursday --and gratitude for all of you here.

A true friend laughs at your stories even when they're not so good,
and sympathizes with your troubles even when they're not so bad.
- Anonymous

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Jul 16 2012 12:28:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

SisterSue
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Connie Sue
Fredericksburg TX
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  12:35:26 PM  Show Profile
I wasn't deployed overseas, I spent a large part of my enlistment in Alaska, we supported the whole coastline between us and Russia. If you remember the whole Shah of Iran thing in 1979, that happened right when I enlisted. I worked on large cargo airplanes, mainly on environmental systems (oxygen systems for the crew, pressurization etc). I LOVED Alaska and was single at the time - lots of outdoors adventures the years I was there. Air Force sent me from there to Texas, and I had intended to be career, but got out and got married instead and have been in Texas ever since. I come from 'sort of' a military family. No careers, but my Mom served in the Marines during WWII and my Dad in the Navy, they met each other after the war and married in their late 20's. then my sister was married to a flight surgeon in the Air Force, he died suddenly of a brain aneurysm. She then met my husband's best friend at our wedding, and 9 months after our wedding she married him. So she moved to Texas too. None of our kids have been in the military, other than my daughter married to this young man, but his time is being cut short. My Mom was a true adventurer. A very small town Iowa farm girl and she enlisted in the Marines (she had been teaching in a one room school house) because her Dad didn't have any boys to send to war, so she went! I have the newspaper articles from when she left for basic training. She was stationed in Washington DC as an officer's liasion. I also have the newspaper articles from DC when the lights were turned back on after the war. Amazing......

Farmgirl #4283
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page