beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  06:23:08 AM  Show Profile
Bunny - great jacket - love the colors and the pattern. I had one once, made out of silks. It was lovely until I ran it though washer and dryer --don't put silks in the dryer. Turns silk into leather.

Thelma - prayers for you mother in law. I try not to go into Hobby Lobby too often. I spend too much money there.

I'm going to try to tear into a corner of my garden where I have been trying to baby a couple of old old lilacs. They haven't bloomed for several years and are just taking up valuable space. I can plant pumpkins there. I have go get it done today and tomorrow, before it gets hot again. And if I get it done now, I can still plant some cabbage or some peas for a fall crop. And before my surgery puts me out for the rest of the rest of the growing season.

Well, off I go to pull out old junk plants.

Later sisters. Prayers and hellos all around.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  07:41:33 AM  Show Profile
Good morning friends. Thank you all for your well wishes. I am now in my last year of this decade, so I do hope I make it count for something. Went out with friends for dinner at Pappdeaux, and received calls and emails from all my family and a few friends, so it was a wonderful day for me. My spinning class was cancelled due to not enough people signing up, and my daughter's husband cancelled his trip so they don't need my babysitting services, so tomorrow I am headed back home.
Today I have an appointment with a chiropractor to see if I can get some help with my back and knee.

I join the others in welcoming all the new farmgirls on this thread. And ditto the others on your jacket, Bunny. It is really beautiful and unique, you will get compliments everywhere you go wearing that beautiful jacket. Come on, cool weather.....!!

I have some patterns for quilted jackets but I've only ever made one, an ambitious attempt for my first quilting class, actually. We patched and quilted the fabric, then cut out the jacket. I still love it even though the workmanship leaves a lot to be desired.

I am glad we do not swap on this thread. I read some of the swap and barter threads and there are a lot of disappointments and thus hard feelings. I will not be doing any of that, as this is supposed to be fun, not stress. I just had a bad experience with someone on a different thread. I do not deal well with that sort of thing, so from now on, I will participate in the friendly chats only.
I enjoyed reading some of your posts this morning but need to get off this computer and get busy today. Will hve more time when I get home tomorrow. love and hugs to all, Glenda

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Jul 10 2012 4:00:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  09:41:43 AM  Show Profile
Everyone thank you for your kind comments about my jacket. I learned so much making it. On thing...no more reversible jackets for me. I could have made two different ones in the time it took for this one. The reverse has many booboo's but I covered them with appliqué. Mistakes are just opportunities for your creativity to show and boy is it creative. I used the pattern "frayed jacket" from My Favorite Things. It was pretty easy except for the collar. I whined big time doing that.
Glenda, I'm afraid I'm with you on the swaps. I was in a swap on another forum and got the short end of the stick. I sent a really nice package, I usually go overboard. I even sewed two things. I didn't get anything back. I even sent a nice email asking I'd maybe she didn't get my address... Nothing. She doesn't post to that forum anymore either.
I am in a tea swap that has done ok though. I'm willing to do the shopping bag swap, but will wait until my swap partner actually sends something to me. I usually go a bit overboard and am tired of getting the short end.
I hope you are feeling better. You were in some pain last time you posted....any better?

I have to say I'm going to try harder with birthdays though. So many people were wonderful about my birthday and I know I need to try harder with that.

Thelma, I hope your mom is doing better. I have never been to a Hobby Lobby. In Calif. we have Michaels. I bet it isn't much different. They don't have fabric though.

It's getting pretty hot here. It was pushing 100 yesterday. I would give anything to live a little more north and west of here. I love the rain. My favorite time to work outside is when it is drizzling.

Working on some purses today. Not sure how I'm going to do them just yet.

Stay cool everyone.

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile
Fabric www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  10:22:47 AM  Show Profile
Goodmorning
I hope all of you are having a wonderful day. It is hot here. I mean really hot!
We lost a bunny and a couple of meat chickens to the heat. Moved the other bunny
to a shaddier area an the meat chickenn as well. they all seem to be doing good now.
We keep ice in with the bunnies but at 104 or hotter not much helps.

I had my mammagram yesterday. I was scared! The doctor gave me a clean bill of health.
I have some dense tissue. More on one side than the other. He avoided saying "at my age"
I could expect this. He was young poor guy. LOL Any way I feel like I can pick up life again.
Everything got put on hold for a few days. Now There are things I want to do and see.
Funny how something like that makes you realize how really precious life is.

Thelma I have not had anything glued down, yet! I do agree it is good, bad, beautiful, and ugly! LOL
I will admit that I bribe them a little. If they work I bring cookies on Friday.

Connie Sue and Nancy in Florida Hello and welcome. You will love it here. This a great group of women.
We laugh and cry with each other.
We encourage and pray for each other.

Kathy thank you for sharing that story. i laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair!!

Holly it sounds like you had a wonderful 4th. You are very creative to think up games that keep the children entertained.
The reenators would have been wonderful to see.

Nancy I will keep you in my prayers. Surgery of any kind is no fun.

Janet enjoy your camping trip. We are going on the 20th of this month. I can hardly wait!!

Nancy from Florida I am a tea lover. Hot or iced sugar or honey sweet or not. LOL
I love loose leaf the most as I can combined flavors.

Darlys I am soooo sorry for being MIA. I would never want you to have abandonment issues. LOL
It has been a crazy summer so far. I am a little more settled and focused now. I think. well maybe?
My DH got my skirtting table done so I have been working on and learning to skirt (clean) fleece.
The first step before I can card and then spin. I am enjoying all of the learning.
That is what I have been spending most of my free time doing

Bunny that is a beautiful jacket. You are so talented. I play at quilting, but you are really fantastic.

Thelma I am praying for you MIL.

I had better get going. I only have 1 student the first hour and a half then several more come in.
They are all busy but I know the questions will start soon.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  11:51:40 AM  Show Profile
I know what you mean about the swaps, Bunny. I usually try to keep an open mind though...maybe they want to swap, only they don't have the talent or money and can only swap what they have. I know, I know....they shouldn't join the swap if they can't really do it. But I like to think I'm making somebody smile when they get my packages. Glenda, I wish I could have been your partner in a swap! I am currently 'doing' a couple of swaps. So far, I haven't had a bad experience.

Hubby wants to go out for soda and Diatematius Earth for the chickens to roll in, so we're off.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

NancyOO
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Nancy
Sanderson Florida
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  12:56:04 PM  Show Profile
GGGGRRRRR.... I had just typed up a nice post with remarks on everyones post and with out thinking I checked page 305 to make sure I didn't miss anyone and lost my whole post!!

Bunny and Dianne my fellow tea lovers, I jsut got a neat water kettle that has heats water from 150 to 212 degrees. It works great for oolongs and green teas that steep at lower tempature. Do either of you have a good site to order teas? I love The Tea Table and have just started using adagio teas.

Dianne, do you butcher out your own chickens and rabbits. We use to raise meat rabbits and Hubby would slaughter them and I would butcher them out. But I don't eat rabbit any more. I have done chickens many years ago when the kids were in 4H but it was only a few birds. I want raise about 30 or 40 at a time and stick them in the freezer.

marianne, congrats on 27 years. we are working on 32. the OO comes from our last name Oliver and our "brand" is to O linked together like wedding rings. Most lists that I have ever been on has at least one other Nancy so NancyOO is my list name
I was up early seeing hubby out the gate at 7;30 and started mowing the yard before it got to hot. got 85% done and raked up and loaded out for the cow to eat the cuttings. I did leave a pile or two for DH to pick up to night.

Tomorrow taking my mom and her dog to the vet then lunch and grocery shopping.

better go think about dinner tonight and get something ready.

Nancy OO
Double O Ranch
Farmgirl #4284
Go to Top of Page

NancyOO
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Nancy
Sanderson Florida
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  4:18:17 PM  Show Profile
I just applied for my first merit badge - shopping green - I have been using reusable bags for years. It is so much easier to tote in one bag than four plastic ones. What are some of the badges y'all have done? Hey Nancy, you will have to help me the stitching ones. maybe one day we can met up and you can teach me.

Nancy OO
Double O Ranch
Farmgirl #4284
Go to Top of Page

NancyOO
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Nancy
Sanderson Florida
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  4:26:52 PM  Show Profile
I was reading over the requirements for the Community Service Badge. I am a little late on that one. I just stepped down after 16 years on our local volunteer fire department. I started out as rookie firefigther, took over 600 hours of training over several years to become a state certified firefigther, then became a state certified EMT and worked my way up to Lt, then Captian of our station. I was Captian of the Rehab division when I left to be around for my mom. Oh well.

Nancy OO
Double O Ranch
Farmgirl #4284
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  8:28:45 PM  Show Profile
It is almost time for me to hit the roost, but just want to tell everyone that I had a fun day today. went to a luncheon with friends and then visited with my niece this afternoon. I got home just in time to get the flowers watered. I then went on a wildflower hunt with my camera.

Tomorrow and Thursday a friend and I are going on a 2 day shop hop for quilters. We will be able to sleep in our own beds Wed. night but will have 2 long fun filled days. If we hit all the shops we will get 12 pieces of half yard fabric cuts free. the only catch is that we have to buy something at each shop. I don't think this will be a problem as I am starting to think about Christmas sewing and quilting projects.

My MIL is doing ok. Hopefully she will return to the nursing home tomorrow morning. She has a very bad heart and is ready to pass over. She is a good christian woman. When her time comes we will honor her with a celebration of life. Her birthday is August 9th. I hope she can celebrate one more. She will be 92. She really is mixed up. When we entered her room she asked if it had started snowing yet. LOL

Well chickie poos - be good to yourselves, don't miss me to much while I'm not posting. I'll be back in a few days with shop hop stories to tell. Taa taa

Edited by - Thelma on Jul 10 2012 8:32:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  04:59:31 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies.

Bunny , your jacket is just gorgeous! The colors are stunning. I wish I could learn to do quilting freehand with a quilting pattern. I tried once but stopped when I couldn't control what I was doing. I bought a special foot for my sewing machine but didn't work out so well. The pattern you used for the jacket is really nice. Enjoy wearing it. I am sure everyone that sees you in it will comment on how beautiful it is. I am so into finishing my partly made quilts that I am 2 days behind in my reading on this post.

Kathryn I am so happy to hear from you. Sounds like you had quite a fun time with all the children. My DD had a birthday sleepover once and she invited 13 girls. They all showed up and our house was full of giggles, laughter and chatter until 3 in the morning.

Hi Laurie, so glad to see you here. We have lots of wonderful ladies here. All kinds of topics talked about and mostly lots of fun knowing each other.

Thelma, I am sorry to hear about your MIL. Hope she will be okay. You will have to post some more of your pictures. I love the photography that you and Holly do. It is truly lovely. I used to do a lot of house painting and some wall papering as well. No more. What color are you going to paint the basement woodwork?

Marianne, I will keep your DD in my prayers. How great to have your mom be 92. My mom died at 93 and I feel so blessed to have had her for so long even though she had dementia the last 3 years she lived. It is so hard to find jobs nowadays. I hope they will find work soon.

My GD, Kelly, finally found work after 100 applications. She has studied art since she was 5 years old so she was so happy when she got a job doing Henna tatoos down at a kiosk at the beach. It is within walking distance of her home and she gets to do art all day long. She is so happy with her summer job and her boss told her that any time she is on vacation she can work there. She loves meeting all the people and of course the art. I sent her a picture of my hand so she can make me an "art tatoo" on it. Then she is going to mail it back to me. Virtual tatooing!

Kathy, the pumpkins will grow so much better than the lilacs even though the lilacs are much prettier, I think. I will keep you in my prayers for your surgery. I know all will go well.

Dianne I am sorry to hear about your bunny and chickens. I am happy, though, that your mammagram situation came out okay. I went through a similar thing last year and it is not fun. I do not have dense breasts but the doctor who first examined my breasts was totally mistaken and sent me to have further testing. She is no longer my doctor after what she put me through. I don't know what was wrong with her...she was pressing so hard on me when she examined my breasts. I think maybe because she was 8 1/2 months pregnant that the baby was kicking her and she took it out on me. hahaha Anyway I am glad that you are well. Yes, life is so precious and we have to live everyday to the fullest.

Nancy thank you for the tea sites. I love tea and wish I had a tea kettle like yours. I do like the oolong tea and drink some others during the day, too.
How big a place do you live on? I might have missed you telling us that. I have some badges on sewing, making journals, painting/drawing. I still have some that I want to apply for.
I hope one day we can get together since we live fairly close to each other.
Wow! I never knew anyone who worked in the fire dept. How long did you work there? So interesting.

Well, enough gab from me. Have a wonderful day and try to keep cool if you are in the "heat" areas.

Love you all.

Hugs,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  06:16:31 AM  Show Profile
hello gals! bunny your jacket is AWESOME! love it love it love it!!
thanks to cj and jan for my birthday cards - they are so special to me this year. my mom is now beyond remembering birthdays so i was not expecting anything at all this year and now i have several cards! all of you are so wonderful to me! work is still overwhelming but my boss is letting me stay in the office today so i am catching up with the IMPORTANT stuff (te he)
hugs to all
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

SisterSue
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Connie Sue
Fredericksburg TX
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  07:09:29 AM  Show Profile
Sorry I have been absent after just joining in, I have been without internet since Monday (lightning hit out server tower)- we are very thankful for the rain here in drought stricken Texas though! I am currently at the local coffee and tea place to try and answer some emails and do some much needed work. I do online scheduling for Weight Watchers and have been unable to work for 2 days.

Nancy, I just got my first two badges - first one was energy (did the research on our coop and energy usage around our home) and also the beginner crochet. I am an accomplished crocheter, but followed the rules and made a new item for myself. I also plan to apply for the shopping (reusable bags) have been using them for years, so will get the beginner one for that. I found the buttoned up badge, I have my grandmother's button collection plus some I have added so will apply for that as well. So fun!! Hope to be back online at home soon so I can be regular in the chatter.
Oh, and we just built our first chicken coop and have our first 4 laying hens, so I think there is a badge for that too.
I am such a true farm girl wannabe..... we do have 3 acres, but mostly scrub cedar and hardwoods. We have really jumped in with raised bed gardening and now the chickens. We also started a large compost pile, is there a badge for that in gardening? I would love to have milk/meat goats as well, but we would have to fence a large area to do that and that is not in the budget right now. The next big project we are working on is a solar panel for our well, we have a great well but when electric goes out - no water. They are pricey but we are saving!!

Farmgirl #4283
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  5:29:36 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

This week Taliesin had three evening baseball practices for Babe Ruth All Stars. This weekend and next is the double elimination tournament for northern Vermont. His first game is on Friday at 2. He and his team really want to win.

I am behind sending out birthday cards. I will before the end of the month.

Marianne 27 years is a long time to be married. and when you post it seems you still like him well enough. Congratulations to you both.

Bunny the jacket is beautiful. You are a wonderful artist. Around here Vermont has an artists guild that promotes Vermont Artisans. They run several stores and it is a juried situation. I wonder if your fine state has the same thing? You could easily win a space and then the prices are such that they support the artist.

Nancy in Northern Florida. I wish you luck with your cataract surgery. what kind of lenses are you going to have? I spoke to a sales clerk at the shoe store and she had crystal lenses. She really liked them.

It has been hot here but not unbearable. I am almost done the chicken house and will post some pictures soon. I have been collecting rose bugs in a jar of oil for the chickens. My dd, Kethry, thinks it is disgusting.

Mrs Guinea is still setting on her eggs. It seems like forever now that she has been at this business.

Our water situation is improving. The siphon seems to catch every now and again. Perhaps it is because the pipe is 1800 feet long that it is taking a while to work out the air pockets. We do have hope.

It is time for me to get off. I am being preempted y the need to send baseball pictures to other parents for the program and applications.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

NancyOO
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Nancy
Sanderson Florida
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  05:16:52 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Girls, Hope everyone is doing good this morning. We have been having some good thunder boomers the past two days. Had one of our pine trees hit by lightning. Sure scared the ba-geevers out of me and Hubby was outside walking across the yard to the house.

Thelma, did your mom make it back to the nursing home yet?

Nancy your GD'sjob sounds cool for a young person. she can express her art and get paid. My son and a gril friend were just out your way sky diving of all things. She was celebrating her 29th b-day for the first time and wanted to do it. I am not so sure my son is going to go again anytime soon.

Kathy did you get your corner of the garden tore up and get the pumkins in? I need to get my sweet taters in. I am running a week or two behind. Some of the ones from last year that I did not eat are sprouting so I want to cut them and get them in the ground.

Connie Sue, glad you are back on line, with the lightning that hit our tree my weather station is not working right,it quit measureing the rain. I hope I don't have get a whole new unit.

Bummer Glenda on the pinched nerve thing. I hope the chrio can do some good for you. I have arthritis in my back and it is no fun. Me and my mom are looking at maybe getting an above ground pool for water arobics and movement. They say swimming is the best excerise for that kind of thing. And I love swimming 'cos you don't sweat

Hubby had a brush fire last night and got three hours of comp. time. I am hoping he might take an addtional 5 hours and take tomorrow off to make a long week end but I doubt he will.

Well heading off to Bible Study this morning and then to lunch with the girls afterwards, I hope. Got to be sure to get out and cut the okra today too. If I don't get out every two or three days the pods get to big. Any one got a good pickled Okra recipe?? I have been drying it in the dehydrator to make what I call okra nuggets. Wash and cut into 1/2 in slices sprinkle with a little olive oil and season then dry about 10-12 hours. Tasts like fried okra.

Chat with ya'll later

Nancy OO
Double O Ranch
Farmgirl #4284

Edited by - NancyOO on Jul 12 2012 05:25:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

SisterSue
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Connie Sue
Fredericksburg TX
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  3:41:35 PM  Show Profile
Drying out today, we have had several inches of rain over the last few days -VERY welcome for this drought stricken land.

I've been busy on lots of fun things - applied for several merit badges, and we have been making more improvements to the chicken coop. They were glad to be out and scratching today after the days of rain and being 'cooped up' literally, HA! We have had them a week now, and still only one of them is laying. The previous owners were sure that at least 3 of the 4 were laying, but we are pretty certain it is the same one that is laying an egg each day. Hope the others start soon.

My sort-of vintage trailer is at the spa right now. I have a 1977 Skylark, 15' that was in pretty rough shape. We found it on Craigs' list , had been sitting in a pasture for a long time. We started on the interior, and have done lots of improvements. We unexpectedly got a check from our insurance agent when it suffered hail damage. We never dreamed we would get money back on that 35 year old trailer! But we got enough to have her painted!! I'm so excited, supposed to get her back Monday. I call her Oma's Spielhaus (Grammy's Playhouse) or Billie for short - after my Mom. My sister and I belong to a travel trailer group here in Texas called The Getaway Gals, kind of a smaller version of the Sisters on the Fly. We have so much fun. I am anxiously awaiting MaryJanes' book on Glamping to come out in Sept. We do it all, haul, hook up, set up, and everything in between. Great group of women who get up and go! Most are in old trailers like mine, some have truly vintage Shasta's , Airstreams, etc. The group ranges in age from late 20's to our oldest member who is 82, and yes she still hooks up and 'glamps' with us! Mine is coming along, has a real German country theme, which is our family heritage. I plan to display my Farmgirl badges in my trailer. So fun......

Farmgirl #4283
Go to Top of Page

SisterSue
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Connie Sue
Fredericksburg TX
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  3:49:25 PM  Show Profile

This is what Billie looked like when we brought her home.
Soon she will be all spruced up, new baby moon hubcaps and fresh paint.
The inside has been totally redone. I have had her about a year, I have been on 4 GetAways, and my husband and I go to state parks, and love it.

Farmgirl #4283
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  5:44:24 PM  Show Profile
Just jumping on for a quick minute to say THANK YOU!!!! I finally got home this afternoon and got to the Post Office----now I feel bad because I have not kept up with all the birthdays---such cute and funny cards-and little goodies-I will catch up tomorrow with each of you but just wanted to tell you now how much I appreciate your thoughtfulness -- also Bunny the flowers are so pretty--colors are perfect. you farm sisters are the best sisters a gal could have!!!

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  04:55:13 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, gfs! Sorry, I haven't been on in a while...it is summertime and it is super busy. I have been reading about everyone else's adventures! Well, the temps here are in the mid-nineties now, big relief from the sweltering triple digits...however, no rain yet...it just keeps raining all around us!

Oh, Connie, I love your glamper!!!! I purchased a small pop-up camper a few years ago, when I first purchased my first MJF magazine, and I love it. Unfortunately, the ladies I know all have travel trailers that look like mansions and wouldn't dare dream of going anywhere by themselves!!! So I glamp by myself, unless hubby comes along...then he says "what's all this *%#@@ for?" so I glamp in my mind a lot!! LOL but I will never give up my glamper or my dream!

There is no way I can respond to each post individually, so let me say this....Happy Birthday, I hope you are feeling better, I hope your loved one wins the game, and I am still drooling over that awesome jacket!!!!!

Well, three weeks on night shift and I am loving it!!!!!

My kitchen counters are covered with tomatoes, so I have a busy day ahead of me....salsa to can, tomatoes to freeze, and anything else I can think of!

Gotta run, ladies!!!!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

NancyOO
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Nancy
Sanderson Florida
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  05:31:26 AM  Show Profile
TGIF!! I hope everyone has had a good week. This is the first day this week that I get to be home all day. My mom is going to come over and we are going to go through old photos and try to identify dates and places. I will be heading to Americus, GA for a week of scrapbooking and need to get them ready to go.

Satuday Hubby and I are going to resuce about 70 2X6's that some friends pulled out of their barn, they were going to burn them. I see some more raised beds...

Connie Sue you camper, oops, glamper looks so cutie. It sounds like you are having a great time restoring it.

I don't know if I sould say this or not...when I joined MaryJane I so wanted to order all her books but could not afford but one. Well I went on Amazon and have ordered three more used or almost new ones and with my amazon rewards points it is under $25!! I can't wait till they arrive.

Anutie M have you every done any dehydrating? I dried a bunch of tomatos then I ground them in my blender to a fine powder. I made some tortilla the other day and added two tablespoons of the powder for tomato tortillas, you can also add water back and make tomato sauce or paste depending on the amount of water, it works great for making tomato based salad dressing. I don't remember if it is 100 tomatos or 100 pounds of tomatos will fit in a one quart mason jar. It is a real space saver and a lot less work. I am not a lazy person but if I can work smarter, not harder, I will do it.

Nancy OO
Double O Ranch
Farmgirl #4284

Edited by - NancyOO on Jul 13 2012 05:40:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  05:56:30 AM  Show Profile
Boy, I just love sitting here reading & catching up on the days. Not to mention the ideas.....

Nancy00 - I have dried tomatoes in my dehydrator for years, but I have never even thought about grinding them into powder for use later. What a great idea. As I sit here, staring at the gazillions of tomatoes sitting, ripe on my counters (ok maybe only half a gazillion). Later today, Jenny and I will be making salsa and the rest will be dried for powder.

Auntie M - see above about tomatoes. tee hee

Connie Sue - I had a pop up glamper for years. I babied it along through kids, rain & leaks. We finally decided to sell it and get a tent with all the trappings. It takes up less space and you don't have to worry about bugs in the upper linings. The very week we settled on a seller, I got my "I'd rather be glamping" bumper sticker!! Does it still count as glamping in a tent instead of a camper? I hope so. Planning on going soon.

Glenda - A pinched nerve is no fun. I've had them. I found that water therapy helped more than hands on anything.

My beloved husband got my upper corner all pulled out for me yesterday. He worked a little each evening, with shovel, pick and ax to get those old lilac roots out for me. I'm going to dump all my pots of leftover dirt and some chicken coop cleanings with some peat moss along with a couple shovels full of compost from the heap. The pumpkins are already growing about a foot away. All I have to do is lean them in the right direction and soon that whole area will be full of sugar pumpkins!!

Right now, I'm off to the dollar store in search of a kitty litter pan to put diatomatius earth for chickens to roll about in and fluff their feathers. It's been a really hot, wet summer. Great for the beans and tomatoes, but not so great for my poor chickies.

Later sisters. Prayers all around.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  06:07:28 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, I see so many new names on here... I just can't keep up. I am so far behind that I don't even know if I can attempt to keep up. I have been busy with my daughter here and getting the coffee truck going. The truck gets the lettering applied today. We are still waiting for the gray water holding tank. It had to be special ordered. I think we are probably looking at an opening of 2 weeks away. I have been super busy...lol. We have my daughter and her family here, my son Jake, Dalous' brother and his family from Cincinnati, and Dalous' son and his girlfriend all spending this weekend. Our house and motorhome are loaded... But are so enjoying the company. The guys will all fish today and us gals will go to St Louis, I want to go to Soulard's Market.. I didn't get to bed last night until about 2 and was up at 5:30. We all sat around the fire pit visiting. It is so gonna be a long day.
I am sure after this coffee truck is up and runnning I will have less time.
You can find me on Facebook (Patty Richey Byrd) for those who are on Facebook and want to keep in touch more.
But I really don't see much time allowed for "over 50's) any longer. This has been a wonderful group and I will miss all the chit-chat. I know you all understand. :)

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  06:22:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Patty, I will so miss you. But, it does seem as though you are entering a new phase of your life. I wish you the best and know you will be a great success with your hard-working state of mind. I am not on facebook, but I will look for thebyrdhaus on MJF forums!!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  06:34:33 AM  Show Profile
Glenda Happy Belated Birthday. Please accept my apology for missing your day. I hope it was wonderful. Can't wait to hear about all your FG goodies. And are you now street legal? Did your DL arrive?

NancyOO, what great advice on tomato drying. I never seem to have that much of an abundance. I have harvested ONE cherry tomato so far! Sounds like a great find all those 2 X 6s! Raised beds, amen!

Connie, Your glamper looked like it was in pretty decent shape. Look forward to seeing the new paint job!! So glad to hear you received some rain. The pictures of the drought areas on the evening news are devastating. Hope the "girls" get comfy soon and you start getting more eggs.

Kathy, so you are in the pumpkin "business" Woo Hoo. I vote that you are still very much a glamper. Does my vote count since I don't camp, glamp or any of the above?

I hope to catch up a bit later,
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  06:49:25 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I don't want to sound silly, but here goes....is a dehydrator the only way to dehydrate foods? Seems like I have heard of doing it in the oven, but who wants to do that in this heat? Hmmmmm....

Oh, Patty, I do so hate to see you leave here, but rest assured I will be following you on Facebook.

Love ya's,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

SisterSue
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Connie Sue
Fredericksburg TX
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  07:03:25 AM  Show Profile
My glamper was in pretty good shape , considering it had been in a man's pasture for a LONG time. There is a gross layer of gloppy stuff on top that was to cover up leaks, we decided not to tear in to the whole thing because we would get in to major water damage! So our mechanic who is painting it is putting a new layer of cool roof on, though that means another layer of goop at least it will be smoother. We are by no means restoring this down to original like so many of the women do, we just can't afford that. So we made sure the leaks are fixed and we are doing everything inside with 'found' objects. They had covered up lots of the original paneling with tacky plywood, so we repaired that and painted. We did put in a new 3 burner stove with small oven (though mostly we cook over the fire when we go) and I just saved up enough money from ebay sales to get a new refrigerator. We put in a small window AC, very needed for camping in Texas! It has a new toilet, and a new tiny water heater. Not enough for showers but plenty for washing dishes and hands. We usually glamp at State parks so there are always good showers there. I grew up camping in Calif - true camping with tents and the great outdoors. Not many places to camp like that in Texas, so the state parks are the next best thing. My Getaway Gals group camps at small RV parks and state parks, so it is really about the getting together with them, we do have a blast. There is everything from tent glampers, to ones like me, and fully restored vintage campers and the big RVers. Some of the gals drive themselves and there are a few whose husbands drive to our spot for them, set them up and come back on Sunday to get them. Not too many of those though.

I want to plant some pumpkins... my compost area is doing fantastic, may have to try them there! They could really spread out and not interfere with anything. Getting lots of eggplant today, and finished putting up cukes in various forms of pickles.

Farmgirl #4283
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page