beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  04:08:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh and Happy Birthday Penny. Card in the mail but late - sorry.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  05:55:49 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, good luck with your MRI. Hope all is what is expected, but no surgery required.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  05:57:48 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning,

I have to kind of hurry this morning. Lots to do to catch up for not being here last week. Thank goodness we have had rain almost everyday. It keeps things a bit cooled down and fills up the ponds.

Kathy I am praying that all goes well with the MRI. I don't mind having one but I know a couple of people who can't take being inside the machine.

Thelma your flowers are beautiful. I like your fence, too. giggle

I am finished with my nieces quilt. I had to correct one part 3 times before it came out looking okay. Now I am making 2 Dotee Dolls which I enjoy very much.

Have a wonderful day.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  06:07:53 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, gfs! It is a beautiful day in the Ozarks! The sun is shining...and we got about an inch of rain Monday afternoon! Well, I made another batch of Queen Anne's Lace jelly Monday morning and a cute little Dotee Doll for the swap on Tuesday! My sewing machine went down, so the sweet little Dotee Doll had to be made all by hand, and as I sewed I thought that there was no way I could have sewn it on the machine anyway! Way to tiny!

Penny, I hope you had an awesome birthday yesterday. Please, forgive me for being late.

Kathy, I hope the MRI went well and that you received good news from it.

Patty, about three more weeks!!!! WoooooWhoooo!

Ladies, I hope you all have a wonder-filled day, that your gardens are growing well, that your chickens are laying, that your pain is lessened, that your heart is filled with joy, and that love fills your soul.

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  06:16:54 AM  Show Profile
Happy, Happy Day! Heading to the Dr for a follow-up today. Then on to get feed and corncob bedding. Yesterday my daughter and I went comparison shopping. We are looking at starting up a business. We will see how things go the next month.
My youngest granddaughter, Lily (3 yrs old) has been repeating over the last week that she likes "shopping, hotels, McDonalds, Taco Bell and McFlurries" She is just so darn cute. I love having them here. The older girls pretty much stay outside with their Chickens and the tire swing. Good old fashioned fun!
We have 99 quail suppose to hatch today. We need to butcher some this week. Hopefully will find time. I hope to do it when the kids are visiting other family so that the little girls are not here to see it. They already have decided they can not possibly ever eat chicken again...lol. How could anyone eat something so sweet? ...lol.
Well, off to the Dr. Have a wonderful day.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  07:40:30 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, welcome back. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and a great visit with Darlys. So wonderful that some of you can meet each other. Makes your friendship even closer. Glad to have you back, we missed your posts.
Patty, good luck at the dr. I am sure things will be fine for you. What a great experience your grand daughters are having. They will never forget this summer at grandma's.
Off for breakfast with my sister,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  09:29:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

The weather here has been crazy. Highh's in the 80's and 90's then the next day it is in the 60's.
We are suppose to get a couple of weeks of hot weather but I have my doubts

Penny congrats on the promotion. Way to go!!!

Janet glad your lungs are better. As for Summer School, I only work till July 16th then I am off the rest of the summer.
So that is not to bad.

Kathy We have a couple of local groups that I will donate the stuff to. Youth Ranch is one and the other is Love INC. Both are good groups.
I thought about putting everything at my SIL's yard sale but there really is not that much left.

I am good with what ever weekend. I am hoping not to do summer school after this year, but we will see.

Patty I am glad your trip was fun and you got to meet your penpal. Thats always fun.

Kathy congrats on the fle market finds. I love it when some one scores at a flea market. I will keep your shoulder in my prayers.

Patty The silkie chicken is so cute.

Penny keep up the good work. You are awesome!
I am late as usual Happy Birthday!!

Kathy Some people just don't know a good lawn when they see one. Clover is a wonderfull thing in a lawn. I would much rather walk on clover
than grass. So much softer. Look out for the bees.

It is beautiful out today. I kind of hate being at work, but I am off by 3:30 so thats not to bad.
We have about 40 meat chickens that are close to butchering. That is on the list for this weekend. I hate that part
but love having all that chicken in my freezer!

Back to work

Dianne
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  11:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh! I am glad you chicks enjoyed my bright yellow flowers. I was working with my computer nurd and asked him to send a picture so we knew it was going to go through. We just clicked one. I took the picture for my wild flower badge project.

GREAT NEWS! I had another consulation with my team of liver drs. I explained my concerns about the expensive medication. They agreed that there was only a slight chance that it would work. They talked me into signing up for a drug study. The price is right as it is free, including the blood work that goes along with the study. There are 20 people on this study and 2 are children. It is a 12 week study and starts next month. We were told that the side effects are doable and I can go off the drug at any time if it gets to much for me to handle. I will be going to physical therapy soon to improve my balance as I am at high risk of falling (baloney). Will need another colonoscapy in early November. and blaa blaa blaa. I can walk and chew gum at the same time because I am a tough old bird giggle

Thank you so much for your prayers and concerns for me. I will never be able to express how wonderful it was knowing you were out there for me. 2 week at with Mayo and then my computer needing repair was way to long to be away from my chickie poos. I am forever in your debt.

Edited by - Thelma on Jun 13 2012 12:03:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  12:06:44 PM  Show Profile
Ok lets see if I can remember how to send you a picture.

Edited by - Thelma on Jun 13 2012 12:08:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  12:10:05 PM  Show Profile

Hurray! I think my problems are solved. I took this pic in my front yard. It is a goldfinch which is Iowa's state bird. By by chickie poos - later

Edited by - Thelma on Jun 13 2012 12:12:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  12:54:09 PM  Show Profile
50+ I care for my 89 year old mother so I am home bound, and working on being as self sufficient as possible on a 1/4 acre.

Stand for What's Right
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  1:58:51 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Pam....welcome to the older ladies group (never thought I would hear myself say that! Haha)...stick around and get to know everybody!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  2:40:01 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Marylyn

Hey, Pam....welcome to the older ladies group (never thought I would hear myself say that! Haha)...stick around and get to know everybody!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062

thank you I will.

Stand for What's Right!
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  3:37:44 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Pam. You will like it here, get lots of support and some advice too!!!

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  5:20:03 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Talie has had baseball games these last two nights. Lost Monday, rained out in the second inning on Tuesday. He had a great time.

I have had bees for years. They are easy to keep and a new hive's queen can live several years. When the queen dies you can requeen the colony if you recognize that she is old or has died and then the bees just keep on living. If you do not and the hive dies then you buy a nuc and start all over. I have only extracted the honey once because I do not own and extractor and have just found someone who has one near to me. The cold can bother a hive if they do not have enough honey to last the winter. The bees cluster around the queen to keep her warm and eat the honey in the hive bodies that they have stored. some people put tar paper around the outside of the hive. Some people move the hive in to an unheated building out of the wind. If it is a strong queen then the hive should last the winter. Last winter was problematic for the bees because they did not know whether it was winter or spring and with the warm weather would become more active and use more honey. If you have plenty of flowering plants around from spring through fall then bees will live. They start the spring with the blossoms on the trees. If a beekeeper finds the hive is low on food then she can feed them. You can have a hive in Michigan if you want.
If Jenny does not threaten the bees they will not sting her. Honey bees are particularly gentle insect. Beekeepers have been breeding for gentleness for generations.

I have not yet glamped. I do not own a camper so it could be a problem. I will stay with Marianne in the hotel. I would fly that far as well. If we went south we could meet in January or February when the gardens are dormant.
I guess those quail feel pretty safe nesting in your garden, Marianne. They need to lay a lot of eggs because the babies are feed for predators and if there are a lot then some live to maturity to mate. It would be great if you could set up a camera so we could watch. I wonder how those people do that. I once saw a video of a hummingbird nesting and hatch out her young. Now.... I wonder where the link to that is?

I wonder Marianne if you said some of those words when the sugar water fell on you. heheehee

Herrschner's catalog has a lot of printed cross stitch. I find it irritating an much prefer counted cross stitch. I figure if I make a mistake it is called folk art. Welcome back LInda. I have wondered where you went. I hope your health is improved. When I lived in Philadelphia I had two window boxes and grew zinnias they were so pretty against the backdrop of the city.

Penny I am so glad to hear that your job is working out well. A good result from a bad situation(dh not receiving disability) I am glad you are happy and people are appreciating your efforts. I do have my birthday list and know that your birthday is this month bout now for the second month in a row I am behind so your birthday will stretch out a little longer.

I am glad to be Darlys' fictional character. Fictional characters get way more done and have far more adventures than mama's on a hill. I do wonder how ever when do they go to the bathroom?

Judith a bumper crop of dandelions. My bee teacher in college said old beekeepers went around and spread the seeds so the bees would always have early spring nectar. One time I made dandelion wine. It was smooth so I have been told. I once tried to get the children to eat dandelion roots but none of us liked them and it took hundreds to make a meal they are so thin. We tried dandelion leaves once too. only once.

I am glad that someone is thinking out of the box for your health Thelma. I hope the study makes it better for all of the participants. I would guess that some will be a placebo and I hope it is not you. At the bottom of the all forums page is a place to practice putting up pictures. I use it some times when I am not sure how it will comeout. Sometimes if I post and delete on here it freezes and I say those nasty words at my innocent computer.

Thelma I do believe you have got it in the picture department. How did that goldfinch stay still long enough for you to find your camera, turn it on focus and shoot. I am often too slow for nice pictures of the birds but they are my favorite subjects.

Pam I think there are a couple of us who care for aging parents.

So, now that I have caught up on all of the posts and written a good page already I will write that we have put in 420 bales of hay in the last two days. Lucky for us the farmer delivers the hay in a kicker wagon so we do not need to collect it in the field and bring it home to unload it. Been there done that getting too old and creaky for that now. Unfortunately for the first two loads Jarrett and Talie both of my testosterones were away so Kethry, stacked, I slung it out of the wagon and Leo and Bonnie carried it into the barn. For the third load Jarrett replaced me but they were burdened with imminent rain. I would like to get about 100 more bales in so we are sure to have enough to make it through our 180 days of possible no grass time. It is a great feeling to have the hay in and the wood done which it is not yet this year and the freezers full but the down side to that is the knowledge that the cold is coming soon. It is nice to have strong children. They do not like to do hay but know it is necessary so do it without complaining. Jarrett is allergic to it so he wears a mask over his nose and mouth which is especially uncomfortable for him in the hot weather. Marianne do you put in hay? Penny do your horses graze all year?

Dianne do you do in your birds yourself? Do you have a plucker? I want a plucker.

Sweet dreams everyone.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  6:38:35 PM  Show Profile
Wow Holly, you have been busy. Our warm weather is just starting, and you poor farmers have to think winter so early, but then at least you will be ready for the cold weather. Thank you for all the info on bees. I knew some, but not all. Bees are very complex characters, busy and smart, which most living creatures are in their own way.
Thelma, those are great pictures!!!! Now you know how to upload them, that is good, I know you have tried so many times before. You are doing great with them.
It is jacket weather here today, this morning it was 32 degrees. My gardens are okay though. Had to water this afternoon, so I am hoping it does not get too cold tonight. I hated to have to put on long pants today, but was not going to freeze. Also very windy out, which makes it feel even colder, like October weather!!!!!
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  8:38:51 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, I must have missed your shoulder problem. I hopeit isn't serious. How do you do the cake decorating with a bum shoulder? Is Jenny doing it, too? I am with you on the clover and the bumble bees. Whenever my dh sees me in the garden surrounded by bees he says, "you're gonna get stung." And I always tell him that the bees know I'm there to help them. I'm sure my neighbors would leave my yard shaking their heads, too.

Thelma, I am so happy to hear that you are able to take part in the trial. That is so exciting. I pray it makes a huge difference for you. Every time I have gone to physical therapy I have thought, hmm this is gonna take a lot of my time. But, I always feel much better after a few weeks of working with them. I hope the same thing happens for you. They like us tough ol birds there! Love your photos ... violets are some of my favorite flowers.

Nancy I hope you will share a photo of your quilt and dolls. Sounds like you are very dilligent in getting the work done right!

Marylyn, Your jelly sounds so interesting to me. Do you enjoy doing a bit of handwork now and then rather than on your machine? Sometimes it makes you appreciate the smooth even stitching more!!

Patty, I am so happy for you at all the fun you are having with your girls. AND a bit jealous!! Hope your drs appt went well. Thinking of you. Tell us more about your intended business!

Pam, I am glad to meet you. My husband and I are close to moving his mom into a studio on our property. She is 85. You and I may have a lot to "talk" about. I am glad you are gonna stick around to get to know these fantastic women. I look forward to learning more about you.

Holly, It is wonderful to have strong healthy and willing children. Of course, as many of us know, it is wonderful to just have children period. It must make you proud to see your kids working together towards the common good. Thank you for realizing that of course, I muttered a few select words when I dumped the sugar water on myself! I wish I could set up a quail-cam. Has anyone checked out the eagle cam lately? I watched them for a while yesterday. They are huge! We have two horses on 28 acres. We let them graze for about 48 hours and then being them in to their very generous paddocks for 48 hours for a sprinkling of grain and a flake of hay. So given all that info, we need to only bring in about 4 ton of hay a year. Unfortunately, the least amount we can get delivered is 8 ton. That was fine when we could split that with first one neighbor and then another, but last year we had to take the full 8 ton ourselves. So, the ponies will be eating "leftovers" next winter. Not the best nutrionally, but they will have to deal...

I had just a normal day today. That can be so welcome some days, can't it? Normal grocery shopping, etc. Got everything I needed to get done. We had thunder and lightning last night and today. Very unusual for June for us. And we have been in the 50s and 60s. WE are definitely ready for some heat here. And so are my tomatoes.

Everyone stay safe until we hear from you again.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  05:56:32 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, gfs! Another lovely day in the foothills of the beautiful Ozarks. Back to work today...you know I say those words every week and as I just keyed them I thought how truely blessed I am to have just a good job; however, it does take me away from my beloved little farm and that makes me sad. : (

Marianne, the jelly actually is not my concoction, I found the recipe on Patty's blog when I first joined, and I have been making it ever since. So you would have to ask her about it's origins. Seems like she said that it was copied from an old cookbook.

Thelma, I hope your trial goes well for you and that you find the relief expected.

Kathy, hope your shoulder is giving you some relief. I pulled my bad shoulder out last week and the pain was such that I just stopped everything until I healed. I cannot imagine living with that constant pain.

Oh, Patty, there is no place like Grandma's for the summer! I used to think my grandchildren would spend summers here, but, alas, that is not the case. For one thing they live about a half a mile from me and they are too busy....ahhh well, times they are a changing. ; ). And for the second thing, I work...my grandma worked on the farm! I can remember her hooking me and my cousin up to the garden plow and we would pull the plow through the garden like mules! Then we would head for the creek and jump in!!!

Pam, we took in my in-laws a few years ago..it was stressful for a while...they passed but the memories remain...I would do it again tomorrow.

As far as sewing those little Dotee Dolls by hand...I think that is easier than sewing with a machine. It only takes about a half an hour to do by hand and they are so intricate, I don't really think sewing on the machine would be easy!

Gotta run, ladies. Chat at ya's later!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  07:15:43 AM  Show Profile
Just got back from a power walk. I have wanting to walk for so long, but dog and hubby cannot go as far as I like to, so made up my mind this morning I was going by myself. It is breezy, but sunny, so away I went for an hour and about 5 miles. About the 4th mile it was up hill for the last 1 1/2 miles, so my legs got a good workout. I went nonstop, so that was pretty good. It is supposed to rain now for the next 5 days, so will probably not be able to go again until next week. Makes me feel so much better when I get fresh air and walk in. Now to get some stuff done around here.
Have a great day,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  07:39:05 AM  Show Profile
Geez Louise! I just lost my post. Oh well, I was just stopping by to read your recent posts. I really like the idea of getting together in 2014. Where is the middle of the United States? We need a place where we can choose to camp or stay in a hotel. How about a bed and breakfast? We will need a place close to an airport, but away from big city life. Are we talking 3 days? A long weekend? Think chickie poos. Think! And start saving up your pennies.

Taa taa chickie poos. Have a wonderful day!
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  07:50:12 AM  Show Profile
Sending a picture of my inside Fairy Garden. I want to enter this in the county fair next month.

If you have any ideas on how I can improve my garden let me know. I need some artistic imput while i still have time to rearrange things.

Edited by - Thelma on Jun 14 2012 07:52:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  07:53:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Thelma I absolutely love it!!! I bet you take first prize!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  09:48:54 AM  Show Profile
I don't remember actually hurting my shoulder - I told the doctor that I'm just getting old and wearing out. He laughed but what can I do. I just lived a very busy life and used my body the way it was intended to be used. I won't know the results of the MRI until end of the month when I go back to the doctor.

My cake decorating class is mostly sitting down. Some standing and frostening. Mostly making stuff for hubby and Jenny to eat. Making some neighbors really happy too cause I'm not keeping that much sugar around. Here's a sample of my first week's stuff - we practiced making stars on cookies:

And, here's what I completed in class yesterday - we actually cut a cake, filled it with pudding then frosted with chocolate fudge frosting & a pretty design:

Chicken coop is almost ready. All I need are latches for the doors, a bale of straw, chicken feed & a water bottle. Then I can have them home. Good thing too, as I had my last egg for breakfast this morning, scrambled with salt & pepper.

Gotta run to the General Store for the chicken stuff!!

Prayers all around.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  09:50:31 AM  Show Profile
And Thelma - beautiful little fairy garden!! You win the blue ribbon in my book.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  12:28:41 PM  Show Profile
Thelma, I love your Fairy garden. Did you do the Fairy in a jar Swap? I just sent my Fairy in a Jar out yesterday. I think your's is really cute, I am sure it has Blue Ribbon written all over it.

Kathy, I am now starving must stop at bakery when I leave work for cookies. Yours look really yummy.

It is hot and humid here but, loving it.

enjoy your evening everyone...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page