sandylee
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

sandy
sunset south carolina
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  11:17:59 AM  Show Profile
I'm am 53 and am so excited about being a part of this sisterhood. We (my Husband and I) are fixing to start the life we have been planning for a few years now. It is just the 2 of us, the children are married (a son and daughter)which are the joy of our lives, along with our daughter and son inlaw and our precious grandaughter. We have 2 acres of land near the mtns. and we are building our cabin with reclaimed and sawmill lumber. Just planted our garden! and very anxious to get started on landscaping the yard.

:) so blessed :)
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  11:30:42 AM  Show Profile
welcome Sandy! so glad you could make it! you will love it here, the gals are all crazy and loving and very giving.
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  3:35:53 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Sandy. Sounds like you have a very beautiful place there. I am sure you will have a blast here with all of us. We are funny, and also serious, very supportive, we are like family. Again, welcome.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  4:16:59 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I had thought about starting another thread with just the virtual trip. I think it could happen on the Welcome Wagon forum. I could start on Monday when we leave my place as long as you all visit and carry the humor. It would make the posts on this board a little more manageable to read.

I am glad Glenda that you poked your nose in. I do miss reading your words of wisdom and I hope that you are well enough to participate more regularly soon. I think that healing from such an intense surgery would make you very tired all of a sudden.

Today was warm. Seems like in the sixties and seventies. The ground is very dry. I am in a holding pattern with the garden. The temperatures are too unreliable to plant anything not frost hardy.

Nancy I would be happy to have you come and visit. Kathy we could use a nice grandmother. Marylyn where is your land?

I think I moved one hour today. This nasty cough just hangs on and while I do not feel bad most of the time I am very tired from coughing.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  5:56:10 PM  Show Profile
Holly - you should rub a little Vicks on your chest, wrap up in granny's quilt, and tuck yourself into bed. A nice hot cup of lemon honey tea wouldn't hurt too. Take care of yourself. We need you here. I think moving the virtual tour might be a good idea too. You have my vote.

Sandy - keep up posted on your garden. We all have them & love to share. Welcome!

Bunny - what a great gift!! And what a great son!!!

Congrats on the new grandbaby.
Anytime you want to send me one of those cupcakes, feel free.
How's the job going?
I'm so happy to be 'running around' with so many strong and capable women. You all lift me up - everyday. Thank you all for being around when I need a smile, a new grandbaby, cupcakes and boas. I hope we all stick around a bit longer.

Virtual tour -
Marylyn is no longer allowed to drive on our trip. That long winding drive should have taken an hour, but Marylyn made it in half an hour!! Didn't you see all the feathers flying out the open top of her convertible? It was all I could do to hang on to my hat as she was in such a hurry to get to Santa's village so she could sit on Santa's lap!
We flew right past the Western Village, so if anybody else got any good souvenirs, share?
I really don't think getting one of those nail rings, means you're engaged to one of the elves, Holly. It doesn't help, Darlys to encourage her with more lemon aid.
I think Santa was happy to see us leave....a bunch of crazy hat wearing, boa slinging, lemon aid drinking "ladys" dancing all over town, twirling everybody to the tune of "Oh, Christmas Tree".
I'm staying put at the Maple Sugar Museum Shop, where they sell these wonderful little maple sugar leaves. Mmmm....sugar.....I think I'll rest a little at the planetarium until the rest of you catch up to us. Try to be a little quieter when you get here. In all this nice dark, star studded planetarium. Oh, look.....I can see Jupiter!

Later sisters!!

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  04:42:24 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, Sistas!!! The sun is just now peeking over the horizon. It looks like it is going to be a beautiful day; however, there is a rain front headed my way! Looks like it stretches up and down the USA.

Holly, I live with my husband on a 3rd generation farm, that through the years has been whittled down to about 27 acres. It is located in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains, which in my neck of the woods is just hills. We live about 1 1/2 miles outside of town that boosts of a population of 447. My husband and I both grew up here...I grew up a few miles on down the gravel road. Everyone moves away to work in St. Louis or some other locale and eventually moves 'back home'...I smile every time I read 'Farmgirl in Training' because I have been a farm girl all of my life! Because of the family generation thingy, my husband deeded me two acres of the farm. It is located up front and that is where I have been working to put in an orchard, laying out my chicken yard, planning my barn, planning my rabbit hutches, and cutting trees to build my cabin!!!! And I cannot forget my 'farm store...Auntie M's!!!'. I call it my cabin, but hubby will live with me...hehehe!

Darlys, thank you so much for the instruction, I had noticed that before; however, when I tried it the button to look in my files will not activate...so maybe it is an iPad thingy!?!? I'll just keep perservering!!! You have helped me more than once and for your input I am truly grateful.

Virtual Tour:

Now, Kathy, you know the gas pedal got stuck! The car is almost an antique, but, man oh man can she fly!!!! My feet do get a little heavy after lemonade!!! But if you insist, I will send her home *sniff sniff*...bye-bye, Tilly, I'll be home in a few months! But the ride sure was worth it, that Santa had the best lap....oh, there were pictures, too??? *face turning red*

Save some of those sugar maple leaves for me!!!! Are there any chickens there??? I need some more feathers for my boa!!!!!

Sandy, welcome....I am semi new myself..even though it sure doesn't feel like it...they just swooped me right in!

Have a great day, Everyone,
Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  05:30:36 AM  Show Profile
good morning.

We had some rain yesterday but it looks like today is starting out to be rather nice. I see the blue sky with just a few clouds. Our temperatures lately have been in the 70's and it is lovely here.

You can put me down for a thumbs up on the new thread for the virtual trip. A really good idea!

Thanks for the invite to come to your farm. I was telling my DH about your place and he wanted to see your house so I was looking last night for the picture you posted. I didn't find it yet but I know it is somewhere there in the 100' s.
I think he will love seeing that big window.

Welcome Sandy. This is the place to be for fun, love, caring and good recipes for food if you like to eat.
Share with us about what is happening.

Marilyn, you are my kind of gal with all that tree cutting and putting in an orchard. I am truly a want a be farmgirl. I would like to have a place where I could have chickens and room for an orchard. How fun it must be to be planning out all that you are going to do there.
I hope you can get some pictures posted. It sounds like you live in a beautiful place.

Virtual tour:

The line to see Santa was so long and I nearly fell off his knee because it was so weak from all us gals sitting on it. He did give me a little candy cane but he never found out that I took a few extras to eat later. This really cute little elf made the cutest ring for me. I pinched his cheek and gave him a little kiss, too. Kathy the ride was so wild!! It is a lucky thing I was hiding in the trunck with the others. We had had some of the lemonade so we were all giggling and joking.

I love sugar maple leaves. Yum! Melting in my mouth...... I wonder what is in the museum and if there is a show at the planitarium.

Holly put me down for 2 1/2 yesterday. I hope to get in more moving today and the weekend.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

patchworker
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Sondra
Fernandina Beach Florida
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  05:51:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by annielaurel

Hi, I'm over 50. Yes, way over 50. I'm 68 and I will be 69 in February. I am enjoying everyday of life and thankful to God. My hubby and I are living everyday to the fullest that we can.

Nancy

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  12:47:02 PM  Show Profile
Sondra - I am 65. It is nice to relax and enjoy life in different ways now that I have been retired for 3 years. I am as busy as I choose to be. Nothing wrong with being 68! Your title is patch worker. Are you a quilter or do you work a patch of ground. Hmmm

I do like the idea of moving the virtual trip to a new thread. It won't be long and I will be in the yards and gardens several hours daily. This would be a good time for me to pack up and go home; leaving you virtual gals to have fun without me. I am not leaving this chat room - I love you gals to much. sorry ,but you are simply stuck with my wierdness - giggle

Welcome Sandy - glad to have you join us. Be prepared to giggle now and then!

Glenda - nice to read your post. I do know what you mean, and Yes, it is hard to explain.

We had a great trip yesterday. The food was good and I was able to find enough healthy stuff so as not to wreck my Weight Watchers commitment. I enjoyed to play. It was about the Mississippi River and the early days of steamboats and water travel. We were on an actual steamboat, but never left the dock - I guess it as to windy and rainy. The singing and dancing was great! On the way home we stopped at Bauchman's Greenhouse. I have never seen such a big greenhouse in my entire life! I bought 5 minature house plants so now I can start my fairy garden. I just need to find a large enough vessal to plant and design in, but one that won't take up the entire sunroom table. If it turns out I will enter it in the county fair flower show. While at the greenhouse I decided to take a few minutes and watch the professional flower arrangers. I was shocked when a janitor came by and many cut flowers were simply tossed away. Thay look fresh to me! Wow!

I am tired today as yesterday was an active day. I need to finish my my walking as it was to cold and windy to do my whole route this morning. Taa taa chickies. chat again soon.

Edited by - Thelma on Apr 20 2012 12:53:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  4:35:36 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

A lovely day all day long. Morning temperatures were in the forties when I did chores and warmed up to the low sixties. A scattering of cumulus clouds blew on through now it is scatterings of high cumulus.

Ross and I played sand and trucks for a while. Kethry(15) found where the guinea hens have been laying their eggs. I think we have two females and four males. I collected 20 guinea eggs this morning. If there had been an interest in one of the hens sitting I probably would have let her.

This afternoon I took a friend who is living with dementia and her cat to the vet for Aunt Jo's physical. My friend knew we were at the vet but could not understand why because Aunt Jo was not hurt. My friend had a hard time word finding to talk to the vet about Aunt Jo's food or mouse catching abilities. It is interesting that Aunt Jo has only been in my friend's life for a year but she can remember her name. This dementia is nasty and is progressing quickly in her. she is past the time when she could remember who she was before and be angry about it. We all lived through her anger already. She is 75 years old. She was a master in library science, an emergency room physician, and at fifty went to law school and practiced law until retirement. Dementia is tragic.

Time to go pick up Kethry from having her weave put in her hair.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  5:25:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh Holly, I am sorry about your friend. Sometimes life just plain stinks!
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  7:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Sondra, so nice to have you join us...we are a crazy fun loving bunch of girls...jump right in....

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  05:33:54 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry about your friend, Holly. Yes, dementia is cruel and tragic. My mother suffered from it as does my MIL.

Thelma your trip sounds like it was really fun. I would like to see what your little plants look like on the fairy table. It sounds like it will be so pretty.

After three days of chit-chatting with people here and there in our town I think I will do some work in the garden today. Also, have some things I want to sew and a doll without clothes who is asking me for a dress. giggle!

I found my Leslie Sansone walking tape so I have been doing that for the last 3 mornings. I like her because she is nice talker on the tapes and is not too young. Her walking has movements that I can do. Does anyone else know of her and her DVDs?

I'm off now to have my morning cup of coffee and some breakfast. Snuggles and Mr.Kitty are sleeping in with DH.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  1:00:50 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today is warm, high sixties and very windy this afternoon. High solid cloud cover. I was really hoping for rain. The apple trees are greening up no buds yet.

Thelma I like to hear about your trips and tours. Someday when I have fewer children at home I would like to take some trips. I am eligible now trhough our Senior Center that accepts us at 50. They have a lot of classes and it seems like a nice group of people to hang with.

Later

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  1:35:26 PM  Show Profile
Here are some pictures of some gifts I have received for being FGOTM.

These lovely items are from Judith Lickteig in Iowa

and then.....New Yor

I also received a nice card from Nancy Jo in New York state. It is a recipe for a chocolate cake that takes nine eggs and no flour. Inside the card was a nice picture of a robin's nest with three little blue eggs with sparkles and a green ribbon on top. I can hang it up or use it as a book mark.

Today in the mail I received a hand decorated journal from our Nancy. If I were able to upload the pictures from my camera to the computer by myself I would have a picture for you.

Thank you everyone,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  3:54:33 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Holly!!! Beautiful gifts!

Lots of love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  5:13:10 PM  Show Profile
Good evening,

On the forum To Your Health there is a board of people trying to encourage people to lose weight. I think this forum is the one the walk should move too. I would like to think about it. I would like others opinions so go on over and look. I have not had time to read the whole board.

Let me know.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Country Dreamer
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Karen
Lake Villa Illinois
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  8:19:59 PM  Show Profile
It is really nice to hear how everyone is spending their days. It has been to cold in northern Illinois for gardening. Husband is painting the fence and I have been working on pictures. What a chore, having left them go for years and years. Now I am prepared to tackle the boxes of pictures from back onto the 90's with a scrap book and photo album for each of the sons. Hubby wants to scan first, good idea, I just don't think I can wait that long to get them put away. I can see how people get addicted to scrap booking. It is so much fun to see the pages devlop.

THank you Auntie M for your email. I am looking forward to the fabric (no rush at all, enjoy your GGD's first few days with as much cuddle time as you can get. No daughters in law, grands or anything like that for me. So I have to enjoy yours virtually.

Nice pictures Holly. I want to make some dishcloths, but have to get my 3 big knitting projects done first. Think everything will have to wait for now. My eyes are closing. Bedtime

So the walk is like a virtual pedometer. I agree another "place" would be better. I never realized how long it takes to read all the posts and catch up. It would be easier for me to be caught up if there was less to read. Hope the sun keeps shining in your farm yards this week.

Karen
Farmgirl #3975
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  05:01:17 AM  Show Profile
Holly, what lovely gifts you have received. I think moving the virtual tour to the To Your Health board is a good idea. That seems to be an excellent place for it.

Hugs,

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Suellen5
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Sue
Fife Lake MI
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  4:17:05 PM  Show Profile
Hey Girlfriends and yes it feels great to call you all girlfriends. Finally at the age of 53 I figured out I NEED other women. So if I seem a bit jumpy I'm still getting into the trust. Thanks to everyone here and a special thanks for all the hard work of those that organize and direct the Sisterhood. I would love to get better connected with all of you (will a lot)
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  5:07:22 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I think I am going to send you all home on the plane tomorrow morning. Maybe when we are all less involved in gardens and such we can hop on over to To your Health and go from east to west that time.

It has rained off and on all day today. We sure could use some steady rain for 15 hours. That would soak the ground and significantly lower the forest fire index. I do not know if our forests are ripe for a burn. We do have a lot of debris on the ground. I have not heard of the forest service doing controlled burns in our area. Sometimes when we have lightning storms we hear trees get hit but I have never seen one become a torch or seen the forest burn from one.

Ross (4) was asleep at 6:50 this evening. He must have been a tired little boy. More time for me to have a little alone time. EXCEPT

our friend who is living with dementia is supposed to have helpers during the day from Home Health. I think that no one showed up today. My partner and daughter went over this morning and made her breakfast and no one came while they were there. This evening she went by to put her pills in their container and no one was there. I went over later and helped her into her pajamas. I am really glad she is not a danger to herself. I will call the agency tomorrow and check out what may have gone wrong.

Beef and bean stew for supper with biscuits. It was quite good if I do say so myself since I made it.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  6:46:05 PM  Show Profile
Holly, I agree with you, it is such a busy time for most of us getting gardens and yards ready. It was fun for the time we were on our trip. Maybe in the fall after canning season and the cold winter starts setting in. Thank you for doing the wonderful job you did on the tour. It had to be alot of research to get us as far as you did. I home your friend gets help right away. It does not sound like she should be alone at all.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  8:28:40 PM  Show Profile
Holly, I really feel for your friend w/dementia and for you. It was so good that you all checked on her today. Thank you for being an advocate for her also. Sounds like she now needs more care than she is getting. Bless both of you.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  04:55:36 AM  Show Profile
Holly I am with you about the rain. We are in such need of a good, long rain here. Yesterday it only rained on and off for little 10 minute intervals. The forest around here is in such need. I hope we get our summer rains this year. Last year was very dry and hot. I can almost hear the flowers, trees and plants laughing when the rains come. Makes me happy, too.

I am sad to hear that your friend was without care. Let us know what the agency has to say about her not having anyone. Maybe the person who was to show up had some problems.

Your supper sounds like it was yummy. We had wild salmon last night with cold slaw and rice. I also made some spinach and a place of raw, cut veggies. DH likes his fish and gobbled up everything. He made himself some chocolate pudding for desert.

I am finally feeling good that I am accomplishing something in my sewing room. I cut fabric to finish my black and white quilt and sewed some of my MJF badges on yesterday. I am still behind in some letter writing.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  06:06:50 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, Sisters!!! What a beautiful, chilly morning. The sun is shining, the temps are cool and I just got back in the house from uncovering and waking my garden!!! We had some frost last night!

Holly, I am so sorry about your friend. I have watched loved ones suffer what I refer to as an insufferable disease.

One last virtual trip saga:

"Wait, Tilly!!! I am returning with you!" as I run down the highway chasing my '64....is she ever going to slow down? Wait I see a brake light...yes, she is pulling off the road. She's only about a 1/2 mile ahead.."Hi, old friend...there's been a little change of plans. Let's go home, tend our garden, plan our barbecue, and pour some candles." aaawww, she's purring. "Now when we strike out again, you have to behave...okay? Okay....let's go home!". See ya on the road, Sisters! And thank you for one heck of a trip!

Lots to do today.

Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page