Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  10:10:21 AM  Show Profile
Hey all! The weather has been beautiful the last few days; there was a really stormy night one night last week, but nice ever since. We are supposed to have temps in the 90's by Wednesday. You all are so busy with your gardens and such; I have to admit, I'm so jealous that I can barely stand myself. In fact, although you may not have noticed that I haven't been by lately, but I have been having a bit of a pity party for one the last few days. I'm still trying to break out of it, but it's hard, you know? When you feel like your life has left you behind and people who have been in your life show absolutely no appreciation for all that you've done for them and completely forgotten your character besides. *heavy sigh* Of course, everything is amplified and made worse when you have no therapeutic outlet...

My heart goes out to you, holly, about your friend's dementia; it's a hard thing to watch someone you care about lose themselves.

Well, I'll check in later...

Squishes and Hugs!

Kathryn

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  1:28:31 PM  Show Profile
Holly, you are one of the most caring, kind women I have ever encountered. I am so sorry about your neighbor (friend). I remember you talking about her once before when the care-giving agency had a glitch and no one showed up. You and Cherie are goddesses in my book.

And, about the trip ... I think we could all use a bit of a breather. There are so many things to be attended to at this time of the year. Besides - the others who rely on us for clean clothes, dinner on the table, and companionship may benefit from our return. I, for one, am refreshed and energized from the happy times, the laughter and the rowdy adventures we have enjoyed. So, I thank you with all my heart!

But dang! For the first time - I was going to report 15! hours. Well, I'll save it.

We had a lovely (very warm - 90 degrees) weekend up in the Jackson/Sutter Creek/Pine Grove/Pioneer area. Great-GD turned 2 with a flourish! She is very proud. She is also a delight. She played hostess and served us nachos. Grampa said he didn't like a lot of cheese on his chip. So, she licked the cheese off his chip and brought it to him on a napkin.

The touristy towns have lots of interesting/fun shops. Sutter Creek was the best shopping. On the way home we stopped at Columbia and it was touristy, too, in a different way. It had buildings preserved from the mid 1800s with little shops in them and shop keepers dressed in period clothing. The shops were very much "westerny" with a general store and a candy shop thrown in. Lots of motorcycles around. Colombia is very near Sonoma - which is also touristy - but we were tired by the time we went through and didn't stop -- until we got to a wonderful fruit/veggie stand way down the road. I loaded up.

Kathryn - fabric is on it's way. Hope it cheers you up.

SueEllen and Karen .... so good to have you with us. Yes, there comes a point when we realize we DO need other women. And, I have found some women here who will be friends for life - with or without MJF. But, saying that, I'm so glad we have the Farm. There's no telling who the next couple of BFFs will be.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Apr 23 2012 1:31:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  2:47:46 PM  Show Profile
Here we go
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  2:50:11 PM  Show Profile
Just sending a picture to see if my trip to the computer shop paid off. I quess it did! I'll try sending another one
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  2:52:36 PM  Show Profile
Can you handle one more?
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  2:56:09 PM  Show Profile
This is the little doll Holly made me. It is Mrs. Claus on a zipline screaming for pure pleasurs
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  2:58:52 PM  Show Profile
Shoot

Edited by - Thelma on Apr 23 2012 2:59:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  3:44:48 PM  Show Profile
I'll try again. This is the gravel road that runs past my place heading north
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  3:46:05 PM  Show Profile
ok I'm quitting while the quitting is good! I'll read your week end posts and chat later tonight. taa taa
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  4:48:50 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We must have received a good lot of rain while we slept last night. The creeks are high and so is the North Branch of the Winooski. Not anywhere near flooding but high enough so we can see a difference.

Now I look out the window and the clouds instead of traveling west to east are now traveling south to north. It is scary when this happens. Who knows what will come next to us.

Kethry (15) had to go to the dentist this morning. Three cavities.... I thought they sealed all those teeth. Her teeth have been soft since they came in. her baby teeth had a lot of cavites and so do her second teeth. Oh well..... drill and fill for her.

Talie (14) has been in a twist most of the day. Two of his friends said they wanted to come over today and are not following through. Talking to the other mothers their sons just do not like to make plans. Talie is a planner.

The cows are so happy that the grass is finally growing. I am happy as well less hay to be used now. Cream should be on top thicker.

Kethry said the Gosshawk is back and ate one of the laying hens. Most of our hens are old so I do not mind so much. Here are pictures of the gosshawk eating a meatbird last year.

So, I do notknow why one picture went small and the other did not.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on Apr 23 2012 5:00:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  4:58:48 PM  Show Profile
Good evening again,

Thelma, The garden is so tall. The road is so straight and the house is so white. lol I think the only roads around here that might be so straight for so long are the highways that President Eisenhower commissioned as runways for planes. YOu have a good eye for framing in the picture.

I posted those pictures and could not find the framing system I have used before on photobucket. Here I think I have mastered a piece of posting pictures and find I really have not. oh well.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Country Dreamer
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Karen
Lake Villa Illinois
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  6:12:35 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Suellen...and thanks Darlys Yes, men just don't always see things the same way if they are your main source of conversation.LOL. Empathy is not always their strong suite. I can really see that all the sisters here are so encouraging to one another and don't most of us need that!

I loved your pictures Thelma and Holly. I think pictures are a bit beyond me right now. It is more important to read the posts and keep up with you. Holly we certainly do not often see sights like that in northern Illinois, up at the summer place we might but not here. Thelma, loved your home and road....I keep dreaming of a place like yours someday, hence the screen name I chose.

In spite of the business of the time I had great fun picking out fabric for the swap. Auntie M if you read this the package will be on its way to you tomorrow. Don't you rush now, enjoy the baby!

Peace everyone!

Karen
Farmgirl #3975
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  7:08:59 PM  Show Profile
Daryl's, you passed through my home! Sonora has always been home for me for so many years. I never did want to move to Groveland. Had to when I remarried. I actually lived up the hill from Sonora in Twain Harte. My first shop was there. I dream of the day I can go back for good. My oldest son goes up almost every weekend. He is on the Search and Rescue team there. I can't tell you how much I miss it.

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  7:10:57 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, sorry my spell checker took liberties with your name.

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  7:38:46 PM  Show Profile
Good evening. Gosh so many new gals. I feel lost here reading all the post.
So we had an early spring but these days it feels like winter has come back. We had some 90' weather earlier and now we can't get above 65'.
I have been busy with the garden now as well as the quail, chickens and pigeons. Holly, I wish someone was coming your way so I could send a few young birds your way. I have a couple young pigeons needing a new home. I plan on taking them and some chicks to a sale this weekend. I will sell the pigeons for $4 each. I have 50 quail beginning to hatch out. Right now I have about 250 eggs in the incubator. Chickens, quail and ducks. They will keep me busy for sure.
Jake has surgery tomorrow AM. They are going to clean out scar tissue and bend his leg. He has not been able to bend his leg at all yet, so they will go in and bend it during surgery and make sure it works. Dalous will be going out to Ohio to help him. Sometimes he makes a wonderful surrogate mother. :) One of us has to stay home and take care of the birds and the old dog. I have a couple of Dr appointments here this week myself, so it is left up to Dalous to help out Jake.
Well, off to bed I go. All my days are long busy days, and this one was no exception. I am totally worn out.
Attached is a picture of the young pigeons and of my painted "brick" patio... a pinterest idea.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  9:06:03 PM  Show Profile
Yes, my gravel roads are very straight. they are laid out like a grid every mile the east west roads cross over the north south roads or vise versa.

Holly, your raptor pics are nice. Unusual shots. Did you take them with a telaphota lens?

Patty, your painted walkway looks great! don't you just love it when projects turn out so nicely?

I am glad that we have decided to call our virtual trip until next fall. That way more of us can travel together. We should come up with an easy way to record our daily movement so we keep exercising.

I'm ready to hit the roost for the night. It has been a busy day. I love you all. Taa taa til the morrow!

Edited by - Thelma on Apr 23 2012 9:11:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  9:14:16 PM  Show Profile
One more time

OK I give up

Edited by - Thelma on Apr 23 2012 9:14:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  10:32:04 PM  Show Profile
this is it

Edited by - Thelma on Apr 23 2012 10:32:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  06:18:30 AM  Show Profile
I am also sorry to see our little virtual trip come to a close. However, my garden will be happy to see more of me. My sewing room has taken on a life of it's own and I will be glad to get back in there to whip it back into shape.

Rain has stopped this morning, so now I have to go out and do damage control. Did I mention I live in a housing area, where 40 years ago or so, the designers decided to plant these absolutely horrible trees. Yes, the do grow well, tall and shade the house, but they drop hundreds, no thousands of nasty little helicopter seeds. They're everywhere!! I only get about a week to get them cleaned up or else they start sprouting. It only takes them just the summer season to get so strong, that they are hard to get out! I hate them. Aaaarrruuuuggg!!!!

I will post pics of my veggie garden when it starts looking like a garden. I have put lots of flowers in my garden as well as herbs too this year. I love fresh herbs & always have pots of them growing in the green house, but never planted them in the ground before. I bet I'll have lots to dry this year!

Welcome to our new sisters. I know you'll love it here. I know I do. Travel around to all the chat rooms. Grab a cup of tea and pull up a chair. Jump right into any conversation. I have found out the most interesting things doing that.

Thelma, your fabric will be in the mail tomorrow, well, Friday at the very latest. I hope you like it. And never mind about the craft thing. I see others have already posted they'd rather not do another something when they are so busy with their gardens and critters and stuff. I do not mind either - same reason.

Carry on sisters!!

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  06:56:40 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, Sisters! What a beautiful day in the Ozarks! I spent the morning plucking the blooms and many tiny strawberries from my new crop of strawberry plants...it seemed like such a waste; however to get healthier plants next year, pluck I must!

I have to drive 25 miles to the nearest larger town to shop today! I am going to buy a new fishing pole ( rod and reel ) to take camping and just fishing in my pond. Last year I was pulling in a big catfish from my pond and my reel came loose from my rod, so I just started running backwards and pulled that big boy in!!! Yum, yum...was he good! Also need to pick up a camping toilet for my barbeque, new qroquet set. And and....I'll figure it out!

Have a wonder filled day all!
Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  08:47:49 AM  Show Profile
I've only made it to page 255 and now I have to leave work and run errands so I wanted to at least post my sticky notes.

I think moving the tour is a good idea too Holly.

Marylyn, congratulations on that new G-Grandbaby! Love the name too!

Kathryn, good thing it was the tree and not the house! Love the cupcake too, yummmm.

Bunny, you have a wonderful son! If he ever feels the need to buy another one, tell him about me :)

No need to worry about your bones Darlys, I bought air mattress's with my LL Bean money, one for each of us! Also got a new barn coat!

Welcome Sandy!
Welcome Sondra too!
Welcome Sue too!

See, not far into my reading, but way behind you girls! I am having major personal problems, keep me in your prayers please!

Later,

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  09:12:19 AM  Show Profile
Hello girlfriends, I am trying hard to get back in to the swing of things here. I wrote a long post last night but when I went to post it disappeared. So I got disgusted and gave up. maybe the message is...do shorter posts.... so here is a short one:

Welcome new ladies,its always fun to see someone new on this thread. can't have too many friends.
Kathryn, I'm sorry things are not going well for you but I hope you are feeling better by now. I have had my share of fighting that old devil depression and I know it is not fun.
I had some good experiences in Austin but I will put them on the poor old blog that has been neglected while I try to get myself back together mentally as well as physically.

Patty, glad to see your post..you do live such an interesting life and I love reading your posts.
Ginny, I am sorry you are having problems, prayers and best wishes to you.
Thelma, you are a hoot----arent you the one who is taking photography classes, or do I have you confused with another sista? I want to buy some kind of program for my photos, does anybody have experience with Photoshop, or what would you advise? Nothing came with this computer.
Darlys, I am going to try to call you later this afternoon. But right now I've got to go eat a lemon bar. Nancy, you funny girl, I need to talk to you too.
Holly, thank you for the sweet card. You are a treasure.
Ok stopping now so it won't go "poof" on me again. I did not go back a page because I know that does it.

Glenda #3534
http://www.gypsyglenda.com

Edited by - doll58maker on Apr 24 2012 09:15:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  3:48:02 PM  Show Profile
Evening everybody. Loving spring. Flowers are all over the place - even where I didn't plant them!! Gotta' love them squirrels.

Ginny - Always in my thoughts and prayers. Glad to 'see' you. Hope you're doing well.

Patty - Adore your patio. I'd do that to mine if the cement was level.

Holly - Wow! What a sight. I guess you're happy to finally find out why your feathered friends kept disappearing.

Welcome to all yall' new sisters!!

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  4:07:42 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

The pictures of the gosshawk were taken with my cannon from the window of the house. I just pressed a little button and the camera zoomed in or the lens zoomed out. The chicken pen is right next to the house and the gosshawk arrived at 5 AM one morning. I heard the chickens setting up a ruckus. but I was getting up to hem a pair of Cheri's work pants. I looked out and there it was plucking away. I opened the window not 10 feet from where it was eating breakfast and clicked away. It glared at me but did not fly away, which was fine because the chick was already dead.
We have had hawks fly through the area before and take birds but they only took one. This bird showed up the next morning and took another chick. I penned them that night. The next morning the gosshawk came and flew at the wire on the chicken house and grabbed it with its talons. I wished I had a picture of that. It finally went elsewhere after I made an enclosed pen for the chickens. AAHHHH life in the country.

Today was overcast and precipitated a lot of different ways. The clouds are still going the wrong way. south to north instead of west to east. The wind has been gusty all day.

I was supposed to go out and repair that chicken pen from last year to hold this year's birds but I failed to talk myself into going out in the cold and wind. I hope tomorrow is better. I really need to get the birds out of the stall. the laying chicks are coming on Thursday and I need the space with the lights.

Patty I wish there was some way to get to you to get those pigeons. they would be fun to have. If only you lived about fifteen hours closer. lol the patio looks great.

Ginny sending good energy to you.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Country Dreamer
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Karen
Lake Villa Illinois
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  4:35:35 PM  Show Profile
Love reading about the animals everyone has. Our community doesn't allow chickens and such. Please keep posting I can live vicariously through your stories. Does that mean I would have to have the sore muscles from the hard work too? Yes, I suppose so,to be fair.

Thank you!

Karen
Farmgirl #3975
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page