rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  3:15:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh! I would give my right arm for one of those pretzels! That's just plain mean to post such a photo of gorgeous baked goods. Just kidding!

Your husband must be thrilled with all your baking and pasta making! It is so rewarding to cook a meal that someone really enjoys. It doesn't happen that often in our house with my husband traveling so much. When he is on the road he obviously eats out so home time is almost always watch his weight time.

We are watching The Bodyguard together this afternoon. It seemed sort of mandatory with Whitney's passing! Of course we are both on our laptops tapping away.

Catch up with you all later! (Now where can I get a soft pretzel.)

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  3:56:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals! Went to see Mama and take her some groceries. She can't stop coughing,poor thing.
We had tea together and I stayed as long as I dare. I did have to mention to her to cover her mouth when she's around people.(when did I become the parent) *sigh* I try to take care of her,but it's hard when she doesn't eat well. I guess being 84 she just doesn't have an appetite.
I'm sitting here drinking "Herb&wine flavored chicken broth." Yum! I've had a scratchy throat for a couple of days(remember,DH has a nasty cold too)so broth sounded good for supper.I'm playing with fire between my Mom and Hubby both being sick! ~~Ugh!
Well, I'm off to get a hot bath, then a movie and tea!
Our weather is bitter cold with that WIND....again!
Keep warm!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  5:05:04 PM  Show Profile
Judy, we have been cold here also. It was only 1 degree when I got up this morning, warmed to 33, but like you said, the wind is cold. Hope you, your DH and mama all feel better real fast. We drink green tea with honey here and it seems to knock it out in a hurry. Get well soon!!!!
Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  5:50:51 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I think all of us are a bit crazy and a bit needy of attention? approval? kindness? none of those words fit the situation quite right but I am glad I have all of you. some of us share commonalities but none of us are the same. It has been interesting over the months that I have been reading that pockets of us share same experiences so we can support each other. then a new situation comes along and some of us share that experience as well. Not everyone and not the same group but enough that we do not feel a lone anymore. or oddly odd. That is what is good about this group.

Glenda, you are amazing with the facial features. That is the hardest part for me in creating a doll. Giving her personality the right look.

Where I live we receive one newspaper. On occasion the newspaper from Burlington calls and wants us to subscribe. I know they do not deliver around here but the salespeople on the phone do not believe me and it is a pressure sales. I have finally gotten to the point of telling them to go ahead and deliver and when I get my first copy I will put a check in the mail. Sure does save on feeling rude by just hanging up. Anyway, the newspaper that we do get has its own box that the newspaper people put up. They put up one for everyone on the route regardless of whether the people have ever subscribed or not. wishful thinking on their part I am sure.

I have grown tall phlox for years. The original plant was a gift from a friend who was thinning hers. I separated mine and planted some down by the pond. it was growing wonderfully. The plants were about waist high and the buds were getting ready to pop open when the next morning I find that the deer have eaten all of the buds. The next day the whole plant was chewed down to the ground. Well, the wild things were here first. I do have my rosa rugosa and some other flowers fenced and the deer have shown no interest in eating them. When we had horses they ate the buds and the cows love the rose hips. I do not know how they eat them without getting thorns in their lips.

Deb I am glad you are back. I wondered what had happened to you after your bikini post. I am sorry that your distraction was so worrisome. I hope that your dh recovers fully and you both can get on with your lives.

today was in the twenties. some clouds and some sun.

This afternoon my partner and I went to see Janice Perry at Lost Nation Theater. I have known her for close to thirty years. She is a little older than me and a risk taker in a different way than I am. She is brilliant and politically astute. Lost Nation Theater | Janice Perry: NOT JUST ANOTHER PRETTY FACE Then we went out to eat. The children were at home and thank the heavens for Kethry who keeps everyone in line and fed the whole bunch of them.

For the virtual walk I think we could get a route from AAA. anyone belong? I think we should keep track in time moved, Then if someone were home and watching TV if that woman walked back and forth or marched in place or stepped up and down on a box or sat in a chair and swung her arms we will count the time. Everyone keeps track of her time and post. We could take turns keeping track through our region. The tracker would tell our progress and give inspiring anecdotes about the regions we walk through. I think Darlys would be first narrator unless we are starting further south with Betty and walking the length of California. From Darlys we go up through Oregon and into Washington. Fill in the details and let me know. I am sure that shoveling manure will get me twenty minutes of movement three times a week and carrying the laundry will get me at least thirty minutes a day.

Talie had a basketball game on Friday night. He scored six points and had several blocks. Saturday was a tournament. His team won all four games. The season is over. On to baseball. That season starts in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone heard from Buffy Puff?

Sweet dreams everyone.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  8:42:52 PM  Show Profile
Bunny I meant to say that crocheted flower is really pretty.
Hope you will post yours too when you get it finished. Im trying to crochet with
#10 cotton thread but not very good at it
Judy hope you dont get sick. Holly I always enjoy your posts too
Glenda #3534
http://www.gypsyglenda.com

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 19 2012 9:00:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  03:03:39 AM  Show Profile
Holly - I enjoy your thoughtful and thought-provoking posts. I have a word to throw in to the mix re: what we are all looking for. I know I am looking for "acceptance" and I have found it here. You start out anonymous and let out whatever you feel safe letting the others know ... and sometimes you surprise yourself. At least I do. I am so guarded about talking about my scoliosis, but here I just put it out there! It interesting to wonder how much not "seeing" one another might weigh in on our comfort level. You certainly can't judge someone on their looks alone here! Of course, we all have that terror of being judged on our spelling! I know in my mind's eye I have a "face" for those of you who haven't posted a photo. It is so fun to have that idea challenged when I do get to see an actual picture of one of you!!

Anyway, I just wanted to add my thoughts to your great post ... so, are you ready for some BASEball, now? What position does Talie play. I think you mentioned he is quite tall. So, is he pretty quick around the bases?

I got a kick out of your local newspaper's marketing strategy with the paper boxes. It sort of makes you think you forgetting something if you don't subscribe!

Bunny - I love that flower. Hats off to you to be able to replicate something by just looking at it. What a talent!

Oh, Judy, my fingers are crossed for you, hon. You are really tempting the cold and flu gods! But, what are you gonna do? Hope your Mom's appetite picks up so she can get on the mend. So, does you hubby turn into a 5-year-old when he has a cold? (Mine does.) I have to do everything short of holding a kleenex and say "blow." But I get that all-important "acceptance" from him, so I will!

I have never come across herb and wine flavor bouillon. Where did you find it? It does sound like it would be good on a cold day when you might be fighting a cold!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  09:30:41 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday i did not get my paper. I called customer service and was surprised when someone answered. I explained that I had 'made' a container that should have been used. I don't know if she was being a smartie or what, but she said, "I'll send Martha Stewart right out to investigate. Maybe she'll want to make one on her show." About an hour later a truck pulled into the yard and this grumpy guy tossed the paper into my garage. I stuck my head out the door and told him to just start putting it in my homemade container. He look oacross the road, scratched his head, and said, "@#%#% I'll just use your government box. giggle - ouch - giggle!

I did not mean to make anyone uncomfortable about spelling. Even though I am not good at it, I feel it has made me strong because I have to stay on my toes. I taught special needs children for many years. Sometimes I felt like like I was being judged - the dumb teacher taught dumb kids. Little did these people know that I had to take lots of classes and earn many endorsements in order to teach "those kids". About phonics; You can not teach phonics alone - thats why programs like "fun with phonics" do not work. A newbie reader also needs comprehension and stratagie skills as well. They compliment each other. OK I'm off my 'soap box' now.

I would like the addresses and birthdays of our new gals or anyone who wants to get 'farm chick mail'. tdadams@wctatel.net. please don't send me a virus giggle also want to start a list of gals who want to exchange Dotee Dolls. Last Friday I had a cancerous sore removed, and tomorrow I am having a tooth pulled. When I get back on my feet, hopefully right away, I'll start my version of our doll for posting. I do not want you to copy my ideas unless you want to. I think this is a good way to express our own personalities!

I am excited! Very excited! Tonight I go to my first photography class. We go for 2 Monday nights and then have a few months to work on our personal style then more classes later on to critique our work. Class is over an hour away and it is supposed to rain and then turn to snow. It is 11:30 and the sun is shining. Hope it holds until I get home.

I have my bread machine going and little Lily dog is afraid of it. Haven't used it for a long time. giggle I do hope every feels better soon. It is hard to be a caregiver to your parents or you spouse. I know because I have done both. More on that another day.

Edited by - Thelma on Feb 20 2012 09:39:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  11:42:06 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning All

It is gray and cold here. ICK! I try to remember it is still February, but we have had some really nice days.
DH and I took Friday off, well sort of. We satyed in bed til 8am then got moving. We went and helped trim fruit trees and clean out and set up a green house on our friends property. Nothing hard and kind of fun. Saturday we were all out building a bunny barn for some other friends. It is made of logs and tin. 32 feet long and 10 feet wid. She has a lot of bunnies! LOL
Sunday we went to Church and then just relaxed and napped. We neede it by then. LOl

Glenda ifeel free to use as much space as you need. i love to hear from you. Glad you had a good day. The pictures were great thanks for sharing with us. Ed can smile and your GD is so cute.

Holly as always you have great advice. Thanks. We are working on a contract as we work on getting things set up.

I am up for a virtual walk accross the country. Let me know when and where we are going to start.

Marianne Thank you. I am learning to make them. There are a couple of swaps that you can join at different times. It has been lots of fun, but with life getting busy I will have to bow out of them for a while.

Kathryn if you are too strange then the rest of us are serious trouble!!

Ruth Ann Hi and welcome to this crazy bunch.

Darlys They are headed for Montavideo (not sure I spelled that right). it is on the westernside. We will probably go out there this summer.

I can not handle this weather!! It was warm and sunny all weekend. Now it is snowing. Did it snow when I wanted it? NO! I don't want it now and what does it do SNOW!!! AHHHHH!

Ok I am better now, the tea is steaping and I will survive this crazy weather.

Debra my prayers are with you. Please keep us posted on what is happening. we are here for you. Just ask and we will do what ever we can. That is what sisters are for.

I need to go. I only made to page 193! I will be back

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  11:44:36 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning All

It is gray and cold here. ICK! I try to remember it is still February, but we have had some really nice days.
DH and I took Friday off, well sort of. We satyed in bed til 8am then got moving. We went and helped trim fruit trees and clean out and set up a green house on our friends property. Nothing hard and kind of fun. Saturday we were all out building a bunny barn for some other friends. It is made of logs and tin. 32 feet long and 10 feet wid. She has a lot of bunnies! LOL
Sunday we went to Church and then just relaxed and napped. We neede it by then. LOl

Glenda ifeel free to use as much space as you need. i love to hear from you. Glad you had a good day. The pictures were great thanks for sharing with us. Ed can smile and your GD is so cute.

Holly as always you have great advice. Thanks. We are working on a contract as we work on getting things set up.

I am up for a virtual walk accross the country. Let me know when and where we are going to start.

Marianne Thank you. I am learning to make them. There are a couple of swaps that you can join at different times. It has been lots of fun, but with life getting busy I will have to bow out of them for a while.

Kathryn if you are too strange then the rest of us are serious trouble!!

Ruth Ann Hi and welcome to this crazy bunch.

Darlys They are headed for Montavideo (not sure I spelled that right). it is on the westernside. We will probably go out there this summer.

I can not handle this weather!! It was warm and sunny all weekend. Now it is snowing. Did it snow when I wanted it? NO! I don't want it now and what does it do SNOW!!! AHHHHH!

Ok I am better now, the tea is steaping and I will survive this crazy weather.

Debra my prayers are with you. Please keep us posted on what is happening. we are here for you. Just ask and we will do what ever we can. That is what sisters are for.

I need to go. I only made to page 193! I will be back

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  12:18:59 PM  Show Profile
Hey gf you didnt make anyone uncomfortable about spelling
I think it is funny. I am too old to use phonics as an excuse. I blame
It on shorthand. How many of you are old enough to remeber that?
I also blame it on these dumb keyboards haha

I always know what the words are so I don't care if it's
Spelled right or not

Right now I am sitting at DOC # 3's office waiting for my turn
It's times like this I Iuv this smart phone
Even if it can't spell worth a hoot. Haha

Thelma. Just how bad do you really want that paper??? Martha Stewart??
Maybe you should go paint it pink and hang some flowers on it? And don't forget the glitter!!
Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 20 2012 12:31:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  1:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
THELMA, now girl, you didn't make us feel bad about our spelling, I'm sorry if my joking to the teachers out there may have made you feel like I did...sorry, My Momma made spelling very important in our lives...she was such a great speller and taught me the importance of words....When I didn't live in the same town as her she would call me with a word a week that she wanted me to spell daily, use in a sentence daily and then write in a journal....she always thought you should challenge yourself, one of her favorite things were any kind of word problems she loved crosswords....so if it was me that made you feel bad please forgive, I was only picking on you...hugs and love

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  2:09:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey guys no one made me feel bad. It takes a lot more than spelling to get my dander up. Don't ever worry about hurting my feelings! Mom was a stickler for any kind of school work. When I was little I couldn't wrap my mind around sight words. She got out a large piece of butcher paper and wrote those words down and hung it behind the cupboard door. She would point to a word with her yard stick. If I missed the word she would wack me. Didn't take me long to learn those darn words! Oh my! This story just cracked me up. giggle giggle and giggle some more. I haven't thought about it in years. thanks Penny for refreshing my memory. Giggle. I think my mom knew your mom. When I was in college and wrote to her she used to circle all the mispelled words and send the letters back to me. Mom was from a family of 16 kids and she was the only one who graduated from high school. She wanted to be a teacher but had to settle for being the lunch room lady.

Glenda - if it wasn't so windy I would go straight outside and decorate my work of art. However, I do have a few days to think about it. Maybe that grumpy guy will have a surprise in there on Sunday hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  2:15:38 PM  Show Profile
Doc #3 - finally someone with some sense. He said 3 surgeries at one time would not happen. He said his part to repair the hiatial hernia would be 2 - 4 hours and that is all that would be safe for me at one time. I explained the whole thing to him that I have been through and we decided to fire the ob-gyn for being an idiot and he is going to get one of his collegues (darn there's that spell thing again!) that he works with for my ob-gyn and he said the bladder/ VG wall surgery at the same time was a definite no-no so that goes to the back burner. Anybody should have known better than to tell me that. He also said he knows I've been in pain for 2 months now but I am not in any emminent danger, he could give me narcotics for pain, but I said I'd stick with the IBprophen, he said I could take it up to 24 hours before surgery. So that's the end of this chapter, I'll bring it up again when something finally happens but in the meantime let's go back to the funny stuff. Like a pink coffee can mail box for your newspaper. Now, that's something that could really catch on--Thelma, you may have a cottage industry here.

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  3:28:15 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I have been playing catch-up since this morning, but it's taken me all this time to get to my responses; busy day at the doctor's office today.

Ruth Anne, Welcome. You will be so happy you joined; trust me on this!

Darlys, The weather here is extremely fickle; it doesn't give my body time to adjust in between the changes. I do better if I have a few days of the same weather, my body adjusts to the change, that way it's not quite so painful. Not here though, no adjustment period, well, not until summer, anyway, then every day is almost exactly the same as the one before...HOT!! The red dirt is everywhere, but I've found a good use for coke, pour one in your washer and throw in anything cover in red dirt mud, it comes right out...most of the time. *giggle*. My "fence" may have just had a wrench thrown into the works. That house has finally been sold, it's a major fixer-upper and I saw a couple guys working on it yesterday. I lived in that house and my friend, who owns my house, put a bunch of stuff in and on that shed; I am hoping the new people are nice and will let me have it...they haven't moved in yet, but keep your fingers crossed.

Thelma, I think your coffee can Idea is great and it's called ingenuity, GF. Martha Stewart, BAH! She hasn't got anything on you. I like your dottee doll exchange idea, too. I started my first one yesterday, but thought I might be doing it wrong, you the shape of it, so I set it aside until I could check on it today. There doesn't seem to be a set pattern, so I'm good to go. I bought several napkins at the thrift store Saturday just for this purpose. I can't wait to see how she turns out. I too was a teacher; a pre-k teacher, for a number of years. I taught my kids those phonetics that You and Nancy were talking about; it was so successful with my own kids that I had to do it; I got many parents and teachers thanking me, so it must have been a good decision. I loved my photography class too; I would love to be able to get one of those fancy cameras, but, not right now, some day, maybe.

I'm in zone 6b, whatever the 'b' is supposed to stand for...?

Debra-E, So sorry for that scare with your husband. I've had a few of those scares with a few people I'm close too and I know, you go around with your heart in your throat. Then you sit around watching them, so nothing can happen like that again, not that you van control it, but thankfully, we can have the ear of someone who can. I'll be having a chat with HIM about it on your behalf. Don't worry, we've got your back.

Nancy, "Twisted Sisters" united in pain and in love, but never love of pain... ;)

Penny, You were very lucky your mom, not only was paying attention, but could/would also make your clothes to fit you right. My mother sewed my clothes too, but she did not have either capability. I frequently went to school with my pants either pulled up to my chest, so the crotch fit, making the legs WAY too short; or pulled down, so the length was right and my crotch hanging to my knees. This, of course, was before it was "cool" for your crotch to be way down there and your plummer's smile showing. How embarrassing! I can't believe I just told you all this. My face is bright red; I'm glad you can't see me. HAHA Maybe when I finish my book I'll blog it and you can all read and critique it, Huh? Those pretzels look yummy; I hven't made pretzel in years...isn't it just bread dough? I can't remember, but I think I'm going to have to make some now... My eating...well,I had a snickers bar today after lunch, but I didn't gorge myself, so that's good, I guess...

Marianne, being a follower isn't so bad. I can't seem to make up my mind which I'm going to be...We can't all one and none of the other. ;) I've never really done anything for Mardi Gras; I don't know that much about it, really, so no traditions here. lol I celebrate the Passover rather than Easter, as well; I'm Messianic.

Patty, those babies are so adorable! Your daughter is now on my list and the strawberry thing...? I'm going to leave that with a no comment for fear of using a few words I've been trying not to use... :/

Glenda, you are an encouragement to me lady.Your and your brother are both in my list... If you can, find a homeopathic doctor; they'll help with your brother's chemo symptoms and get some Arnica for yourself and start taking it about a week before your surgeries (when they get scheduled)and for a bit after; it aid in your healing. It can actually reduce your recovery time...just a suggestion.

Bunny, that flower is great. I'd like to see yours when you've finished it. I would also, if it's not too bothersome, to have the "recipe" for it. I crochet some, but my skills are not of the caliber of yours; I can't just look at something and re-create it. I'm jealous, I just have to say. lol My skills are still at the basic level; I'd like to gain more knowledge, but...well... Anyway, if you don't mind sharing the pattern, it would be a great bookmark for my granddaughters; big and bright. Maybe they won't lose it quite so easily. Not to mention that several of them would make a nice "bouquet" for someone nice.
Judy, I know how hard it is to be the parent of your parents. I'm doing the same thing. My brothers son't even bother to help, but they are great at "arm-chair quarterbacking."

I'm trying to hurry; it's a thunder storm out there and I don't want the power to go off and lose everything; that would really be the pits...

Holly-I've heard from some people with a dear problem to put some hair where you don't want them to go; I'm told it works; it's worth a try. Your local hair cutting place might be willing to let you have some cuttings... Cows? that's different, I don't know what to do about that...how do they manage not to get poked?

The virtual walk could be cool if the "narrator" of the day would/could post some pictures to go with their narration... and maybe a virtual "here's our luncheon place today, ladies.." It would be fun and we might get to see things we've never seen. I think we should start with the most south-western and work in a loop either east to west or north to south. Like San Diego all the way to the Canadian border then work our way back south then back north, etc... I think you get the idea. Unless we have Canadians, of course... I might be able to get my son (math whiz) to work out the logistics, if he has time, that is, what with getting established at a new base and all.

Baseball! Love it! I grew up with my brothers playing and going to major league games; no major league here and no tv...booo!
I sometimes go to local little league games, though, and cheer on the little tikes. You should see some of the looks I get; like who is this person...it's hilarious and fun. I've been approached by "concerned" parents.

Dianne, I'm glad this is a group for women like me, just a bit nuts...lol I always have to make sure; I don't want to freak anyone out, don't you know.

I promise, ladies, that I won't take so much space the rest of the week. It's just that when you miss the weekend you have a lot to respond too... ;)

Hugs!!

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  3:55:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals! Jusy popping on to say, DH and I had a great day together. The weather was almost 50/sunny/calm(for once) haha. So we went out to eat at a place that gave me a coupon for my birthday. Then we met his sister to get our organic chickens for the freezer and eggs. They raise their own...we buy them.The good stuff!hahaha Then we went to a Goodwill but didn't really find anything. So it really was a great day. Tomorrow is Green-Farms, stocking up on produce. Yeaaa! Love it!
See ya later!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  3:58:03 PM  Show Profile
Thelma. My daughter is a special Ed teacher so I know what you mean
It is a very tough job. Count me in on the Dotee doll exchange.
And thank you for organizing it

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  4:40:30 PM  Show Profile
Glenda - Great news! So happy that you found a doctor with whom you feel comfortable and are confident in his ideas. So important when he will literally hold your life in his hands. And how nice to know there is no danger in waiting.

Hope you brother is doing well today. He is in my thoughts.

On to the funny stuff.

Thelma are you sure you are going to go with pink? You know stripes are a nice look. Polka dots? This isn't something you want to just rush into. Take your time to make the right decision on the decor for your coffee can paper box.
By the way, I hope you are feeling ok from your procedure on Friday. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow with your extraction! Yow! Not much fun in your future right now.

For our farmgirl dotee dolls, will you give me parameters for the size? I saw the online lesson and it looked like the pattern was the size of a business card. Is this what we are going with?

I am emailing you with my info. Since I am one of the "new girls" One of the "new" 50-year-olds.

Today, dh and I took our sweet 12 year old black lab, Mollie tothe vet. She has lots of bumps that labradors and other breeds are very prone to getting. (We call them her lovely lab lumps.) One had gotten soft and drain (ick, ooh) about three weeks ago. I have been cleaning it and putting neosporin on it everyday. It wasn't getting better so off to the vet we went. Vet said, "Clean it and put neosporin on it twice a day." OOOOKay. Oh and put her in an elizabethan collar. An 81-lb enthusiastic lab who lives indoors in a huge cone? I opted for the new blow-up collars. They look like a life vest in the shape of a donut around the dog's neck. Anyway, if I can't get this to heal up in about 7 - 10 days, Mollie will have to have a little surgery of her own. (And Mollie doesn;t like to leave home anymore, let alone visit the vet)

Time to deal with "dinner." Funny thing about that, dh thinks he should eat it every night. He has always had some strange habits and I just can't break him of this one. (I hope you can tell I am kidding.)

Check with you gals later!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  4:56:17 PM  Show Profile
I'mmmmmm Backkkkkkkk!(Said like the little girl in the movie Poltergeist)

First of all, a BIG THANK YOU to Glenda, Holly, Thelma, & Jan for checking up on me and for the Valentines. It has been one stressful month for this gal so your concern is greatly appreciated. I left our trip in Rio and I don't think I will be able to read 100+ pages to catch up, but wanted to quickly thank you girls!! It's really nice to be missed and thought of!

I went to visit my parents for one week in Virginia and to celebrate Mom's 84th birthday with her. I returned home at midnight on a Monday and on Tuesday about 10 am Mom called to tell me she was having surgery on her rotor cuff on Thursday of that week! We thought it would be in May or June. So on Wed. I turned around and drove BACK to their house (a 14+ hour drive each way) to be there for her and Dad. My Dad if you all remember is 93.

Well, her surgery was a nightmare! The Dr. didn't fix anything! But she still has to recover as though he had. I can't even begin to tell you how mad I am and how many mistakes I know were made! In fact I wrote them down and covered a normal college ruled piece of paper on both sides!

When prepping her the anesthesiologist was going through her chart and would say "so I see you've had a stroke" and we were like, no; then he said "I see you had a heart attack" and we said no; and then when he said "I see you had part of your colon removed" I looked at her and saw the excuriating fear in her eyes when she said "No, I think you have my husbands chart" and let me tell you, I have never seen so much fear in one persons eyes! I wish now I had done what my gut said and picked her up and left immediately!!! But how do you stop a scheduled surgery when you are being prepped for it?

She now can't comb her hair, put on a bra, cook dinner, or clean the four bedroom home they live in now. She can't garden which is her passion. She can't drive. She can't even reach for a glass of water! I've been there a month taking care of them and trying to wittle down which retirement/assisted living complex we can put them in that they can afford and want to be at while at the same time trying to make her house more user friendly for her now. She's small to begin with so think of having to lower everything to the height someone in a wheel chair could easily use and that's where we are! And I was also running them to Dr., getting meds, cooking, cleaning, etc... I am beat and really do need a vacation in Rio! But I had to come home and get back to work or be out of a job.

Mom is devastated not only because her life has been turned upside down but the Dr. was one that she really liked and trusted! My warning to the world "DON'T USE KAISER PERMANENTE"! My goodness, the woman couldn't even get the needle into her vein correctly for the IV's! Both Mom and I kept telling her how to do it, Mom was in tears it was so painful, but the lady wouldn't listen! It was a nightmare like no other! My sister who is an RN said to me that night on the phone "Why didn't they take an MRI before hand? If they had, he would have known her shoulder couldn't be fixed!"

We are now trying to get Kaiser to give her a letter allowing her to go to a different Dr. and see what he can do. But that could take months too and if she can't do anything, we need to get them moved before one of them ends up falling and in a nursing home without the other. We don't want them seperated if at all possible! Also, my sister doesn't think she would survive another surgery and the sad thing is, she needs it done on both shoulders.

Some quack put her on blood pressure meds that made her pass out so she fell a few times wihtout any notice. Once at home she just collapsed into the basement window well by her garden, once into the bedroom door, and once at the grocery store on the cement floor. And she didn't even need the damn medicine! Had she not have been on the medication, done of this would have happened and she would still be a healthy, happy 84 year old living her life in her house of 40+ years!

So emotions are running high and the stress is unbelievable in our lives right now.

So that's where I've been for a month! My sister is now there (the RN); then two of my brothers will take their turns, until we can get them situated somewhere, somehow. Please keep them in your prayers!

Now I better find time to read up and see what you ladies have been doing that has to be far more interesting!

Thanks again for the concern and cards!
Ginny

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  5:05:55 PM  Show Profile
Wow!!! You all have been so busy. Lots of Dr. visits also. Good luck to all of you that are seeing dr. and surgery schedules. I have been in a slump lately, trying to get some energy to get some housework done, but seem to be just too tired lately. Think it's the weather. It was 5 degrees this morning, got up to 35, which is above normal. Our normal temps are 9 and 28 for the highs. Some snow expected for tomorrow.
I made pulled pork sandwiches for supper, they were good. I use my crock pot alot, don't know how I did without one years ago.

Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  6:33:08 PM  Show Profile
Ginny I am so sorry about your mom and all that you and your family have been through!! It is hard to understand how these places can stay in business, why someone hasn't shut them down for that kind of gross negligence. Hang in there, gf, we are here for you. Sending huge hugs your way. So glad you came back to the forum. Don't worry about catching up, just jump in where we are.
Janet I want to come to your house for supper. I don't like to cook any more. I have claimed I don't know how to cook but somehow over the past 3 years I have known Ed he has figured out i do know some things. Now I have to make him southern grits and biscuits for breakfast, and as of this week I guess I am going to have to do a slow roasted brisket once in a while, but it is so easy I can't complain. The big one is I know how to do green beans so they are exactly right, still bright green and crispy. You just make sure they are fresh, small, same size, plop them in boiling water for 3 minutes (blanching), no more, then plop them in ice water til you are almost ready to serve, then put a dab (about a Tablespoon for 2 servings of green beans) of butter in a skillet, make sure the beans are dry, put them in the hot pan (don't let the butter turn brown, just make sure it is hot enough to sizzle the beans, sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss for a minute or two, and serve immediately. Cook them less and they are too raw, cook them more and they get limp, cook them like this and they are cooked but crisp and tender. Bigger beans might require another minute.
Yea, Marianne, these guys get spoiled if you give them half a chance. I gain weight when I have to cook supper every night.

Thelma you do know duct tape comes in all sorts of cool colors now.
We will be your consulting committee as you start this new venture. Soon these will be selling on QVC for :ACT NOW AND THIS AMAZING NEWSBOX REGULARLY 49.95, CAN BE YOURS FOR ONLY 19.95. BUT WAIT!!!! ACT NOW AND WE ARE GOING TO SEND YOU ANOTHER ONE, FREE, YES ABSOLUTELY FREE, THAT'S TWO FOR THE AMAZING PRICE OF $19.95.

Good nite, all
Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 20 2012 6:44:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  7:05:44 PM  Show Profile
Ginny -

I am so stunned and dismayed to hear your story. What a nightmare. It is frightening enough to have to trust someone with a loved one's well-being, but then to have it so mishandled and unnecessary. It is heartbreaking that your folks are in this situation. I understand your stress over getting them into a good place so that they can be together, before something happens and the choice is taken out of your hands.

You are fortunate to have your siblings step up and do their share. You all are in my prayers. Ihope you can get some rest before you are needed at your parents'.

It is good to hear from you!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  8:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Ginny, I am so sorry what you have had to go through and more what your Mom and Dad have gone through....people at their ages should be treated so much better....I was wondering where you were, so I'm very glad you are back to let us know you are ok. I am putting your Mom in my prayer journal and hope she gets better even if she can't have surgery anytime soon...Bless her sweet heart....she shouldn't have to go through this.

Glenda, I can just see that commercial!!! lol...yep and I can see them flying like hot cakes out the door...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  05:28:31 AM  Show Profile
Thelma I like your idea about the coffee can and the Dotee Dolls too. I was so bad at spelling as a child that in 3rd grade I remember on the Thursday morning spelling bee I devised a plan. We would all stand against the windows and be given one of the words. If we missed we would have to sit down. I would miss my word on purpose just so I wouldn't have to feel so fearful about what the next word would be. Talk about stress!
I would say that spelling was even more stressful for me than math. Math wasn't bad until I missed my 4th grade math lessons. Whatever I was supposed to learn in 4th grade I didn't get. There was a mixup when I went to New York that year and I ended up with only 3 months of 4th grade.

Ginny what a nightmare you have been through. It is almost unbelieveable what can happen now days with these medical people. I am glad you have it documented. I am glad your sister is there now. I will keep prayers going their way.

Janet I am praying for you too sister that things get better for you and your energy picks up. You need some farmgirl hugs, honey. Wish I was there to give you some in person.

Glenda it seems you finally do have a dr. with some sense. Hopefully things will go forward a little smoother for you. These surgeries need to commence. I probably spelled in incorrectly. My English isn't too good either. giggle.

Well if I don't hurry up and get dressed I guess I will have to go to my sewing group in my pjs. I have been sitting here reading all the posts and now writing. I have exactly 15 minutes to get ready. I guess I will have to be late. I would rather be here with you all than with them.

Hugs,

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  06:24:12 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, thanks for the hugs, I know they will help me throughout the day!!!! Hope your day is a good one
Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  06:34:28 AM  Show Profile
Ginny, so sorry to hear what has been going on with your mom. How awful!!!! It is a shame there are so many bad dr.s out there, hope she can find a good dr. to make her all better again. Hugs to you all!!!

Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page