emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  7:51:20 PM  Show Profile
Because you DO reuse them... or haven't thought about reusing them??? =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

dandylee
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

paula
kapowsin wa.
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  8:05:47 PM  Show Profile
I do lots of pressure canning every year. Usually I get a few jars that do this. I believe through talking with more experienced ladies that the reason for this is weak/old jars. Jars do not last forever, the glass loses its strength or time from being clanked around, your going to get tiny unnoticable fractures in the glass. Try sorting your old jars and your new jars that you buy each year and see which ones you have problems with.

Dairy farm raised bon-a-fide Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9269 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9269 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  06:12:50 AM  Show Profile
Angie, I have never re used them. It never crossed my mind that it was an option. :)

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  06:33:10 AM  Show Profile
The only thing I reuse lids for is when I use a jar to hold something that I want to keep dust out of, NOT for sealing/canning purposes.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  09:28:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Paula - welcome! Yes, I have noticed which jars break - and that was part of the confusion because only the NEW jars were breaking! In the 25+ years I've been canning - I've only had this start to happen in the last two years. So I wasn't sure what was going on. But - after this string of helpful comments, I'm aware there is a whole composite of sloppy little things I've gotten by with -- which I guess the newer material of these more recent jars just couldn't withstand.
And Angie - yes - this is one of the several "sloppy little things" I admit I've slipped into. Being in a bit of a hurry and not waiting for jars to be really hot before I use them. :)
Busted! LOL In more ways than one, I guess.
Cheers, All -

Being mindful is a way of life - and health.
Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

MTNSunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Sunny
Tollhouse CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  09:39:10 AM  Show Profile
Such great info! So in your opinion what is safer? The pressure canner or the water bath canning method?

Proud FarmGirl #914 ;o)
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  10:17:48 AM  Show Profile
Laughing, Sunny ~ OK, in my new-found position of expertise based on the long string of helpful comments from so many true experts - here's the scoop.
Only use a water bath canner for high acid things - tomatoes (and even then, add vinegar to be sure); fruit. Any vegetable other than tomatoes really does need the extra heat generated by the pressure in a pressure canner. (Physics: Boyles law - pressure in a closed container increases the temperature).
My "doc-voice" really does need to caution: botulism is a really, really nasty player - and is the number one prob with home canned stuff done improperly. It's an anaerobic bacteria, meaning it thrives in places without air. If not killed by enough heat - it just sits in those cans happy as can be, pumping out toxin in its general environment. A very small amount ingested causes huge trouble. Paralysis. Death. You know - stuff other people make a lot of money off of by making it into movies.
But I digress. Hopefully I answered the original question. :)

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  08:11:34 AM  Show Profile
wow. lots of good info here on canning! Thanks for this post full of information.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  09:50:44 AM  Show Profile
I use the pressure canner for everything except jam/jellies and fruit. I even do my applesauce in the pressure canner since I have had issues with the hot water method in the past with jars going bad. I can't say that the hot water method isn't ok for applesauce, just that after years of doing it in the water bath all of a sudden, two years running I had mega spoilage probs which I have not had since I started pressure canning the applesauce. I always pressure can my tomatoes as it takes less time and I know for sure they are safe. Even so - always boil canned vegies in an open kettle for 5 min. before tasting to be safe according to all the instructions from the County Extension office. I have been canning for 30+ years and as long as care and common sense are used and instructions followed, home canning is a great way to go.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  11:04:38 AM  Show Profile
OK -- I've gone back and forth on whether to write this response, because I incredibly much don't want to discourage anybody from canning --- but - for the sake of doing the right thing,
I feel like I should again caution: botulism which is the main "bad player" in home canned products pumps out toxins anaerobically while in the jar. No amount of boiling will get rid of the toxins, once produced, because they are an inert protein - not a living substance. So - although boiling will kill organisms that may have squeaked their way in, it will not compensate for food that was improperly canned to start with in terms of this one.
I agree with Sheri, though - that home canning is a great way to go. We've purchased minimal fruits and veggies for the past --- long time (years) - because we put up so much stuff. And it's so great to have! So -- I hope this cautionary note is taken as simply a suggestion that nothing replaces doing it right to start with.

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

deemc54
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Dee
Lufkin TX
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  8:10:13 PM  Show Profile
I also have had jars break in the last few years. And I always use "real" canning jars - Ball and Kerr. There is another one that Dollar General makes that I use too. I do not use any old mayonaise jars that used to fit the canning lids. I try to always follow the rules. My pressure canner has a gauge on it. I find that this is the most difficult- to keep it at 10 lbs. of pressure. Maybe I have let it fluctuate and that was the cause of my jar breaking. The thing that agitated me the most was all the work that I put into that jar of broken produce- all the cutting up of the vegetables. I think it was the squash pickles that I made that the jar broke this summer.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  10:20:29 PM  Show Profile
I was taught years ago to put a washcloth on the bottom of the canner even with the pressure ones before I put the jars in. it has always worked for me & I have never had a broken jar yet....Michele'

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Canning question Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page