Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 Natural Solution For Ant Beds in the Yard
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Natural Solution For Ant Beds in the Yard Next Topic  

AmyInNC
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Amy
Pittsboro NC
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  2:27:21 PM  Show Profile
To take care of ant beds, slowly pour a gallon of boiling water on the center of the ant bed. it works! I love heating up my tea pot and marching through the yard to zap 'em. Larger beds may need more just to be sure.

soleil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Linda
Butternut WI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  8:06:21 PM  Show Profile
This sounds just too simple to be true. But definitely worth giving a try. We have had more ants than I can remember around here this summer. Seems like all they do is keep moving around to get away from whatever we try. Might even have a cuppa tea while I'm at it!

Thanks for the suggestion, Amy

Blessed be,*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ * soleil

Even as we dream, we begin to succeed...even as we succeed, we begin to dream again.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  07:41:22 AM  Show Profile
You can also take a shovel and move them from one bed to another. The ones you introduce into the bed will kill the ones already there and then you move them from bed to bed. It takes some time but they will kill each other out.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

soleil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Linda
Butternut WI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  09:31:45 AM  Show Profile
Hmmmm - That sounds like something from a horror movie...."The Attack of the Killer Ants". But if the boiling water doesn't work, I may just rent that movie!!!!!!!! : )

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Blessed be,*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ * soleil

Even as we dream, we begin to succeed...even as we succeed, we begin to dream again.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  6:43:34 PM  Show Profile
I just use plain old corn meal, they bring it home, eat it, can't digest it and die. I just sprinkle it where ever I see ants outside, on their trails and their mounds. Inside in jar lids where ever I see them inside. No poisen, or bad smells, no danger to kids and animals, been doing it for years...

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  09:41:17 AM  Show Profile
I have a book that covers so many areas for home and health and it had a bit about ants in the house. First was on insect's killer: Boric acid pwoder (not borax). Use behind appliances away from kids and pets and food. Buy at farm and garden stores.

Second, Ant Repellent: Spray 50% white distilled vinegar on surfaces you see ants and wipe, leaving a residue. It will take weeks to get rid of them using this method.
To treat the whole house, pour vinegar all around your foundation, close to the wall, using one gallo for every five feet. Kills folage. Repeat every 6 months.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
Go to Top of Page

AmyInNC
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Amy
Pittsboro NC
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  10:19:40 AM  Show Profile
I used borax in small caps to get rid of ants inside once. it worked almost instantly... I was skeptical that it wasnt' just a coincidence. I hadn't seen a boric acid vs. borax distinction. I'll have to look into it. oh, and I mixed a little sugar in the borax to attract them.
Go to Top of Page

Queenie
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Lahnie
Horicon WI
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  9:03:40 PM  Show Profile
I've used plain white vinegar twice now. The ants have not returned to either nest.
Go to Top of Page

hwright95
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Heather
Murfreesboro TN
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  11:26:03 AM  Show Profile
I've tried, vinegar, cornmeal, chili powder, cinnamon, I'm going to get an anteater next (lol) the little black harmles ones are really bad around here. I did see a huge red fire ant about a week ago, that made me look up anteaters, if you do a search on youtube there is an adorable one that likes spray cheeze in a can
Go to Top of Page

Saffron
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Sheila
Dallas Texas
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  2:04:51 PM  Show Profile
Will any of these combinations work specifically on carpenter ants? I seem to have them inside and outside of my front door area and I would like something that would not be toxic to my dogs! Thanks for any suggestions......

"We cannot Lord, Thy purpose see, but all is well that's done by Thee."

Farmgirl Sister #1987
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  07:25:33 AM  Show Profile
When I was a kid, my dad would pour gasoline down the ant hills. Yuck. Worked, though.

----------------------------------------------------------

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School
http://goodnaturedearthling.wordpress.com/
Become a fan! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-Natured-Earthling/85786527923

Go to Top of Page

Valgirl
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Valerie
Hot Springs AR
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  7:59:13 PM  Show Profile
I have tried everything from Organic One to borax to corn meal, and the only thing that has been a sure and true ant killer it boiling water. I shove a stick down the center of the hill and get them stirred up real good, then pour away....HAHAHAHHA.....NO MORE ANTS!!!!!

Today is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  11:50:26 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the wonderful advice.
Finally, I have hope!

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  09:51:43 AM  Show Profile
I used fresh ground coffee at our old place, it seemed to do the job. I also used it around the house to help keep the ants out. After I did that the ants didn't come into the house!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~
Go to Top of Page

Carianne
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Carianne
Bushnell FL
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  9:22:21 PM  Show Profile
I am going to try the boiling water for sure, but I have always used chemical killers in the past and since we have a well want to cut down on all the chemicals.

I always use a shovel just to open up the mound and get to the bulk of them, they usually go way down and spread out farther than you imagine, and then do the killing. Just shovel it fast and tap, tap, tap the ants off after every time you stick the shovel in the ground cuz those little suckers will climb up your shovel right to you! We have fire ants, it's awful painful, swelling is terrible and lasts for a week or more.

I always tell my kids to jump up and down if they get the ants on them, the ants have big teeth, but little hands and can't hang on good! :)
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Natural Solution For Ant Beds in the Yard Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page