Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  6:02:17 PM  Show Profile
...my ohh my... the humidity is wet! The katydids are loud and the fireflies are flashing!
Have you girls ever heard of the katydids? I didn't until I moved to Georgia... at times they can be deafening!
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q7cx8i4lUk)
But those fireflies... I love them and has many memories of them at Grandpa and Grandma's farm at the lake!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  9:37:19 PM  Show Profile
Karrieann, the katydids are amazing, aren't they! Iowa has alot of fireflys right now too and oh my, the heat and humidity here is stifling!! Tammy, sounds like Nebraska is "feeling the heat" too!!

Darlene, I get exhausted just reading your blog....you need some R&R and some porch time!! Congrats on your weight loss!! That's awesome! Keep up the good work, girl!

Megan, so nice to make time to read!! Yeh!!

PeggyAnn, hope your hubby recovers soon and you take care of yourself so you don't get it too!! I've just started embroidering again too after so many years....satin stitch is always a challenge for me!!!

Lida, enjoy your time away.....have fun, fun, fun!!!

Pam, you sound so organized and how nice to get all that finished and time to relax!! Good for you!!

Iced raspberry tea and shortbread is my contribution tonight!! Did a neighborhood Yard Sale today and there were lots of people, but didn't sell alot. What didn't sell, went to the Goodwill!! It was just too hot, I think. Hung out the laundry, but wonder if it'll even dry in this heat and humidity!!??

Hugs, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!

Edited by - Lin on Jun 26 2010 9:40:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  01:25:06 AM  Show Profile
Very pleasant day here but it is always nice to come to the porch before
retiring for bed and a good book.

I never saw Fireflies until I went to Michigan last year to visit my Oldest Son and Family.
They were just so fascinating to watch. I wish we had them here. The Cicadas I could live
with-out however. They had them dead...everywhere and they are ugly. We have chorus's of frogs
here where we live. You could out at night to take the dog out and the frogs are just deafening
sometimes. But it is a sound I enjoy because they are small Tree Frogs not big old bullfrogs.
We also have crickets that sound loud too at night.

Well, it has been a long day. DH still sounds bad but he says he is feeling better. I keep sleeping
a lot so my body is really trying to fight against getting it full blown. Thanks for the prayers and
well wishes.

Good Night Ladies! Blessings, Peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  06:56:32 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, hope you fight it off!
It's gonna be a hot one here today, 96 they say. Got alot to do;worked the last two days and hubby has been home with the kids so naturally the house is a mess. :-) Sunday is always major cleaning day for me. It's amazing how messy the house can get in two days of daddy and the the kids at home with me at work. Oh well. Have a wonderful day everyone!

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  07:36:39 AM  Show Profile
I skipped all my chores yesterday and me end DH went out on the motorcycle with some friends. We rode all over the countryside. Then the friends headed home and we stopped to grab sodas and pretzels and found a cool shady spot to sit and talk for a while. It was nice and relaxing. Now we're gettin ready to head out to the garden. It's time to till the walkway weeds down agian and put out our last plantings. I am going to cover myself with sunscreen this time! Maybe I'll just bathe in it! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  07:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Angela-what a wonderful way to spend the day! Motorcycle riding-I'm jealous!

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  11:57:58 AM  Show Profile
Angela...we all need days like that where we just put everything on the back-burner
and just go play. If we work hard we need to play hard too. So, good for you girl!

Pam - have you been riding your new pink bike? This may sound dumb but I really want
a three wheeler...with a basket on the back. (I have some balance issues from my Fibro
and so I think a two wheeler is out of the question). But they want at least $400.00
for a three wheeler at Freddies. Mercy me!

blessings,
~peg

Lady In Red

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  1:21:28 PM  Show Profile
Peggyann, Have you checked on craigslist? A friend of mine got one for less than $100 after the hour long drives gas was added in. You might get lucky and find a good deal.

I am just back in from the garden. I am gonna need to spend a couple more hours out there tomorrow to finish up, but it sure is lookin better. I am gonna harvest the last of the beets on tuesday for the farmers market. My DH is gonna retill the beet row for me so I can replant it. I'm gonna make beet jelly this winter! I think I have some carrots to harvest too. That's the row I need to weed tomorrow. I have tons of green tomatoes hangin and I can't wait for them to ripen! :) I so love my garden!

Now it's time to start the housework... :( Oh well, all good things must come to an end.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  7:36:34 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Angela for taking a "day off"!! We all need to be reminded to do fun stuff because the work is always there waiting for us when we get back!! So good to play and clear you head!! Hugs and Smiles, Lin

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  8:20:06 PM  Show Profile
Angela...thanks for the Craig's List Tip. Just hadn't gone there in my mind but will
check it out.

Blessings,
~Peggy

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  11:20:40 AM  Show Profile
Angela, your day sounds like such fun! Yesterday was my friends graduation party, and I had such a good time. I got to see my best friends, and I haven't seen them for a few weeks. How I miss school! Hope your days are all going well!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  6:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Peggy-I want one of those too! I think they are so cute. I went out yesterday and rode my bike. I ran into a building and broke a fingernail but otherwise I'm doing pretty good! I just got the season's first cherries-dig in ladies!

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  8:48:16 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Peggy, hope you and DH are better. It's never fun to be sick in the summer. I want you to know that I was diagnosed with fibro many years ago. Working as a nurse was torture. I refused a number of meds because I knew all the side effects etc. I lived on Ibuprofan 800mg before I left for work. Able to survive my shifts. Long story short, I took myself off my BP med and within days the muscle pain was gone! I went to my MD and told him what I did. My BP was fine without the med and he said stay off it. If I was still having the pain I would never have been able to care for my GD because I wouldn't have been able to lift her. My balance was off and it isn't anymore. The side effects of some meds are ridiculous. Don't know if you are on any meds that could b affecting you. I used to feel 100yrs old. I feel 100% better. Just thought I'd tell you.

Angela, lucky you going on that MC ride. Wish it was me. Brings back memories!

Lida, have a great reunion.

Lin, I recouped by staying in my garden all day until 7pm on saturday. Love that dirt!

Baby and Mom are both doing well. Thanks for all your prayers.

Blessings,
Darlene
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  9:41:16 PM  Show Profile
Darlene-glad to hear everyone is doing well and congrats on the newest member of the family!
I was going to head over to the "virtual porchies" section and introduce myself formally but I've got a terrible headache so it's gonna have to wait till tomorrow. Have a lovely evening everyone, time to relax on the porch and hope this pounding goes away

farmgirl #1432

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  10:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Dana, Hope your HA subsides soon.
I had to laugh when you said about your messy house when you work.
My husband had the nerve to say to me today that I should try dusting. I just had the GKS for a total 9 days. Spent the day until 7pm in the garden saturday. Went to church sunday and grocery shopping afterward. I told him to do it himself if he didn't like it. I guess you know that went over like a ton of bricks! Life goes on!

Darlene
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  12:16:50 AM  Show Profile
Darlene...men can be so verbally non-helpful! He needs a day in your shoes!
Thanks for sharing about your experience with Fibro. I don't have HBP and take very
few actual medicines because I am extremely Drug sensitive. I don't think your
diagnosis was correct for Fibro...and I do know how bad some drug side-effects
can be. Everything I have taken for my fibro ...I can't tolerate. The only thing
I use now if I get a real bad Fibro Flare is Tylenol w/Codeine which gives me
migraines so then I have to take a Soma with it to counter the migraine.
Pretty much I just stay in bed on a warm electric mattress cover and that helps relax my muscles.
I am medically disabled from it and it runs in my family. My mom, aunt, sister,
and brother all have it. My sister and mom also have Rheumatoid Arthritis but mine
is Osteo-Arthritis. I have learned that I can live with an incredible amount of pain.
BUT I refuse to let it ruin my life. I stay as active as I possibly can and have
even gotten back to walking a mile and a half a day. For 15 yrs I walked 5 miles per
day/7 days a week. BUT when the Fibro & Chronic Fatigue hit full force my entire life
was turned upside down. Everything came to a screeching halt until I learned to accept
my new reality and quit wanting my old life back. It took God, a Counselor and 2 yrs of extreme depression to get mentally adjusted to
my illness but I am there now. I don't like it...but I can live with it.

Pam...I don't know why but your comment about riding your pink bike and running into
a building and breaking your fingernail...just hit my funny bone something fierce.
Probably because I could envision myself doing the same thing. LOL

My hubby is going back to work tomorrow for half a day...to see how he does. He is not
yet fully recovered. I am doing pretty good with fighting against getting it. I am
drinking so much water and liquids I am spending all my time running to the Little
Girls Room.

Have a good evening girls! You are all such a JOY to visit with.

Blessings,
~Peggy

Lady In Red

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jun 29 2010 12:21:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  05:53:20 AM  Show Profile
I am hoping to get some garden work done today. I am having so much trouble sleeping lately and it makes it very hard to stay motivated. I think the heat is so draining and it keeps me inside when I'm tired. I wish I had my grandmas drive, she never stops! That sweet old lady has lived her life without a/c and gardens even now at nearly 90. She is outside weeding and fussin with her flowers and veges everyday. It makes me feel so lazy when I don't want to go out and do mine. I am going out today to work on the potatoes and carrots no matter what. I have so much replanting to do from all the rain and the harvesting. I have to be able to start that by thursday so today is weedin day cause tomorrow is market day.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  07:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Peg-it was pretty funny. Mark came running up to me to make sure I was okay and I showed him my fingernail. He just looked at me, shook his head and laughed.

Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  07:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Angela, a garden is such wonderful "therapy"!! I'm so happy you have yours! Beet jelly sounds delicious!!!

Pam, I also had to "belly laugh" when I read about your little accident.......I can oh-so see myself doing that!! Of course, I'm happy you were okay!!!

Megan, so happy you got to see your friends!! They're so important!!

I just ache for you gals with Fibro....I am so sorry you have to deal with that. I know of so many that suffer from it and I pray they can find a mild medication to nip it...or better yet, find a cure!! I admire you all so much! Hugs!!

Dana, you get rid of that throbber and come visit when you feel better!

Darlene, isn't that interesting that your DH notices the dust!!! I wonder if he knows how to dust or what to even use??? Maybe he was just having a crabby day!!!

I made a spinach quiche for lunch and a sparkling raspberry water, so will bring that on over!! Talk soon girls! Lin

Edited by - Lin on Jun 29 2010 07:55:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  09:19:39 AM  Show Profile
Thank goodness for sleep! Feeling much better today
Lin-It's pretty funny what my hubby's definition of "clean"is (I'm lucky if toys are put away and dishes are done when I get home). He says he doesn't know how I can get anything done during the day. We work opposite days (him 4 and me 2) so he gets to stay home with the 2 little ones on the days I'm working. His attitude about stay-at-home- moms has completely changed! He agrees that it's a much tougher job than going to work every day and corrects any guy that says otherwise.
Well, I'm off to do some grocery shopping for our trip...have a great day everyone!

farmgirl #1432

Edited by - Rxgirl on Jun 29 2010 09:21:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  10:21:33 AM  Show Profile
Dana, I think that's so neat that your hubby has learned appreciation for what you do through "hands on" because I think all lessons in life are seen through a different light when we walk the mile. And you two having that shared respect for each other is worth it's weight in gold! I love it that he corrects other men.....that is absolutely the best!! Maybe he's on to something.....!!! Hugs, Lin

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  12:05:16 PM  Show Profile
Lin, I had so much fun seeing my friends! As we get older, even if we just talk, it's a good time. We also hit a badminton birdie around, and that was fun as well! I'm going to miss them next year... But I'll make new friends! They won't be like my old friends, but they'll still be friends.
Dana, I'm sure if men and boys had to do traditionally "women's" jobs everyday, they would wonder how everything got done!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  4:59:16 PM  Show Profile
Lin...I would love a slice of that Spinach quiche...my very favorite! Glad you thought of us~

Today has been cooler but still perfect weather here. No complaints...as long as the rain stays
away for awhile so my garden can soak up those sun rays. I want warmer weather but not that scorching
heat like some of you have been having.

Angela...what is it about Grandmother's that they can dance circles around us??? My MIL up until this
year (she just turned 85 on Sunday) with her back fracture from playing golf and then her recent heart
attack...could out work me any day of the week, 10 times over. Just a bundle of love, energy and enthusiasm
for life. She has taught me a lot by example.

Pam...men just don't get the "Oh, darn I broke my fingernail" thing. Us women can sympathize with you
though. But Mark's reaction made your story even funnier.

Darlene...I tell my husband or anyone else who complains that my "dust" is furniture protector. LOL

Does anybody besides me like cold meat-loaf sandwiches? I can bring a tray of them and some Ice-cold sweet Peach Tea to the Porch if anyone is interested? And some Cherries. I think Pam and I bought cherries on the same day. Great minds think a like!

I must share a funny cartoon I saw today in a magazine. A Mother and her little boy are at the Beach. The little boy is sitting in the sand playing on a lap-top computer and the mother is talking to a man walking past them. She says,"Oh, he has a program that allows him to build virtual sand castles." LOL Made me think of all of us Virtual Porchies!

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jun 29 2010 5:05:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  8:12:25 PM  Show Profile
Cute Peggy! Love the cartoon...does anyone know when the next MJF is coming out? It seems like it's been forever? Don't they know we start having withdrawls when it's been too long?

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  8:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, I LOVE cold meatloaf sandwiches!!! I haven't had one for so long.....thank you for sharing!! And cold sweet peach tea sounds so refreshing!! I can eat cherries until my stomach hurts!! I'm getting very hungry!!

I love the sandcastle cartoon......my, what's the world coming to??? Sigh.....

Glad you like spinach quiche because I made a big one!! Time for porch sitting!!

Monica, you're so funny!! I'm guessing the new MJF magazine will be in our mailboxes within the week!! I so hope I'm remembering correctly!! (oh Lin, let's not go there!!) Hugs!

Edited by - Lin on Jun 30 2010 11:40:16 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page