Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2014 :  12:10:50 PM  Show Profile
Afternoon ladies! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! My first day off and I feel like all I want to do is sleep. Woke up at 6:30 this morning (sigh). Had to take son to work by 8 so I just stayed up. By 9 when M* woke up I laid down thinking I'd take a quick 30 minute to an hour nap. M* woke me up 1.5 hours later so we could go out for a late breakfast. A lot of people are sick so and I broke out with a cold sore this morning so I'm guessing I'm fighting off something. Guess if I'm going to be sick it's best it's on the days off but I hate to lose precious time off sleeping. Taking some immune support gummies along with my other vitamins and supplements. I might make up a batch of echinacea mint tea too for added protection. I'm baking my pumpkin pies as I type.

Shannon - I'd wash the cover you made and see how it is for size before making another one. If you plan on washing them on a regular basis they will shrink over time too. My wool socks do the same thing.

I agree with your husband, you probably need time to build your immunity back up. It's a great time to stay in.

Starletta - thank you for the comment on my pictures. I'm just starting to use my camera more and trying to photograph different types of things. I should have mentioned that the tree is a maple tree.

Judy - I've never heard of hoar-frost but it would be a good description of it for sure. Which poet referred to it?

Peggy - I was in a shrimp mood earlier this week and bought one of those small frozen shrimp cocktail rings and ate it all by myself LOL

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Etsy: PrairieGypsyCrafts
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2014 :  12:22:23 PM  Show Profile
Merry Christmas to my sweet porchies,
Just wanted to pop in before family and fun begins here. Love you all and remember Jesus loves you so very much.
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Whispers of Morning
http://todayanewday.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2014 :  5:25:40 PM  Show Profile
Merry Christmas sweet porchies <3 Praying it is a blessed and peaceful holiday, full of Christ's love!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2014 :  05:19:54 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful poem, Peggy!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2014 :  06:01:24 AM  Show Profile
Good morning dear Porchies :) Praying your Christmas was truly blessed! I woke up this morning feeling a little let-down... there is so much focus put specifically on Christmas Day and so much excitement put on it, that it seems the day after is just a release of all that pent-up excitement. And yet, as I reflected on WHY we have Christmas and WHY Jesus came to this earth, I found my joy and excitement build right back up!!!

Yesterday was a delightful day for us! I had made each of the older five kiddos an apron.... the 11yo got a horse one, 9 yo ds a deer in the woods one (think Real Tree), my 7 yo ds got a parrot covered one, my 5 yo dd got a kitty cat one and my 3 yo son got a Thomas the Train one. They were all so excited and wore them to help me make dinner. We dropped off our apple pies to some of the local fire departments and the police station. We added an additional one this time, so we delivered to 1 police station and 3 fire stations. There were different people working than we have ever met before, and they all seemed genuinely thankful and excited! The police officer we gave it to had the biggest smile on his face and talked with the kids quite a bit!!! With everything going on right now, I hope those pies were a little bit of encouragement, especially for the police!

Today is going to be "clean up" day, at least somewhat. I need to stack the kids' things under the tree and finish cleaning up the house. I'd also like to take advantage of hubby being home and have some fun family time - either working on a project together or just playing some games as a family. The 1 yo doesn't do as well with the latter, so we might wait until she takes a nap.

I must go feed a baby. Merry Day after Christmas everyone <3 Praying you enjoy your day!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2014 :  10:34:25 AM  Show Profile
Hope everyone had as great a Christmas as I did!!

I stayed overnight Christmas Eve at son Kirk's and Michelle's house with my new buddy Matlock aka Mattie. And Michelle made Julia Child's recipe for Bouef Bourginion (sp? It was incredible and I got to bring home leftovers! I made Pistachio Nut Cheesecake for dessert!

Here's Mattie!

The kids got me a new red Kitchen Aid.....needless to say I was overwhelmed....it brought tears to my eyes!

My best to all,
Mel
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2014 :  12:35:28 PM  Show Profile
Good Morning (oops almost noon) My Porchies...

Mel...it sounds like this was the Christmas for tears of happiness (and some sadness too for others)...
Those red kitchen aids are so pretty. My youngest son bought his wife one last year. This year the kids
knew how much Sadies' mom really wanted a Kindle Tablet...so, they bought her one and she cried so much
when she opened it up. She has no other person in her life who would buy her such an expensive gift
and she knew that even the kids were struggling financially and yet they made sure she got the one gift
she really desired. It was so touching...and she is the sweetest lady in the world. I just love her...
and I was so happy for her. On the other hand one of my dearest friends SIL died on Christmas Day and
that was so sad for their family and so bitter/sweet on Christmas of all days. ~ I loved your little
Mattie in his Santa outfit. What a darling picture!!!

Shannon...I think that was so Wonderful of your Family to take Pies to The Police and Fire-stations. I am
sure they were a huge "Encouragement" to ALL but especially the Police with all the bad publicity they
have been getting of late. Thanks for sharing with us...because your lovely generosity really touched my
heart. ~ I bet your kids really loved their Aprons. The material you used sounded so cute and kid specific
that I bet they just loved them. ~ And good for you for taking advantage of dad being home to play games
and do family fun things together.

Catherine...I'm glad you liked my Poem. God gives the words to me and then says "Share"...so I do. I know
that not everyone is into poetry but that is one of the gifts God has blessed my life with. And I love
poetry...so, I think He knows it blesses me the most. LOL Hope Your Christmas was a Sweet and Happy One.

Teacher Tammy...I hope you enjoyed your Christmas too. I keep thinking about your boys graduating this
coming Spring and I know that you are just storing up memories and treasuring them in your heart. I hope
they aren't planning to go off to far away to College. ~ So, did your butterflies behave themselves the
week before Christmas? Any funny stories from them lately??

Well, I had a very long and lovely Christmas day. LOTS of Family Time. Started off at youngest sons house...
as we always open gifts together Christmas Morning. Then home for a couple hours of fixing some side dishes
and a quick cat-nap before picking up other relatives to take back over to sons house for a big family
dinner. By the time we dropped my Auntie back home in Portland, OR and got back home ourselves it was... almost 11:OO pm
News time on TV and then we literally dropped into bed. But it was a great day. Our little Elijah...was
overwhelmed with the Christmas gifts...and only liked the books and clothes. The Toys seemed to scare him
for some reason. He is almost 19 months old (so who knows what his little mind was thinking) but
he liked the empty wrapping paper tubes better than any Toy he got. LOL!!! He uses them as a sword to whack
people with.

I got LOTS of Gift Cards...which I so appreciated...as our little Apartment can't hold much more "Stuff" if
you know what I mean. Hubby bought me the Kindle Echo, "Alexa" which I love and he thinks was a waste of
money...but that is the difference between men and women. I think she is great. Again, Elijah is afraid of this
talking black canister that MaMa (as he calls me) has in her house. LOL

QUESTION FOR YOU ALL: What was your biggest blessing this Christmas?

Ok My Lovelies...Kick back and enjoy a Nice relaxing day...YOU EARNED IT!!!

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch

Edited by - LadyInRed on Dec 26 2014 12:44:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2014 :  3:00:27 PM  Show Profile
My biggest blessing has to be my three year old starting to say "Momma I love you sooooo much!" and my 18 month old starting to say "I love you!" nothing better than those words from my littles!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2014 :  4:02:28 PM  Show Profile
Evening ladies! Hoping everybody had a great Christmas. It was an okay Christmas and I'm okay with that LOL. No drama thankfully. I'd asked M* for an AeroGarden and he bought me 2 along with an extra pod kit with lettuces so I have one unit with 3 types of lettuce and one unit with basil, dill and parsley (which came with the kits). I'm really hoping this will extend my growing season. I'd been looking at a 6 pod unit with LED light for about $200 on Amazon and I'm glad I didn't get it. These 3 pod units were only $60 at W*lmart. Also, I didn't realize, although it makes sense, that certain plants take up more room so the pods around them can't be used. M*'s interested in growing cherry tomatoes and I'd get another unit if we do that because one pod requires 3 grow spaces so it would take an entire unit. He doesn't eat enough tomatoes to justify me buying another unit though for that. I need to find some more herbs though and order them as I'd like some cilantro and rosemary along with a bunch of others. They're pretty neat in that they have timers on the grow light and aerators so they shut themselves off and turn back on. I guess this could be a small experiment in aquaponic gardening LOL

I'm working on organizational projects. I bought a metal shelving unit for my bathroom and organized my bath salts, oils, and lotions today. I also inventoried the deep freezer so I know what I have. Need to inventory the refrigerator freezer next. I've got a box of stuff I need to go through and sort, file and throw away. I want to have that done before M* gets back from Michigan. He'll be home Wednesday afternoon so I have a few days to accomplish it.

Peggy - I'm with you - I really like gift cards too.

Mel - Mattie is adorable!

Shannon - that is sweet to hear those words. Oh to have such sweet babies again LOL

Well need to go get supper going. It's 1' out and I'm afraid to see what the wind chill is. My fingers were nearly frozen when I picked up Jordon from work so I know it's cold. Stay warm everybody!

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2014 :  4:10:38 PM  Show Profile
PG Tammy - I couldn't help but chuckle at you inventorying your freezer! We have two chest freezers in our garage.... I inventoried both of those today, along with my freezer hooked to the fridge. I'm hoping to do my herbs tomorrow, then maybe my "pantry" (we use our front coat closet) on Tuesday.

Please stay safe in the cold and snow! We hit mid 70s today :( I miss the snow so much! Hopefully here soon it will actually FEEL like Winter!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

kymomma4
True Blue Farmgirl

516 Posts

RoDonna
Frankfort Kentucky
USA
516 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2014 :  7:10:41 PM  Show Profile
Hello Porchies!! I feel like I've been out of the loop for a while. I've been catching up on all the latest of you girls. We've been busy here. I've been thinking of taking down all the decorations. That's as far as I got. We've had something going around the house hitting just about everyone. I don't think it was the flu but close enough. Most of us are still coughing. It hit a lot of people at church too. So I'm thinking someone brought it to church with them last week.

Believe it but I've started getting seed catalogs in the mail already. :) I've been making me a garden notebook and making plans. We are going to be putting up raised beds this year at our house plus my parents again. DH has been bringing me used tires home. Some of his co-workers found out what I use them for and they brought him some. One of his other friends said that his work will let us have all the pallets we want. Heaven!!

I had a lot of my friends who don't homestead, can, garden...or just plain don't do what I do ask me a lot of questions. I started a page on Facebook and I write on Earthineer sometimes. I've been having a lot of fun! I'm learning too. We are going to be looking into getting chickens this spring and maybe a goat or two.

What's everyone's New Year's Goals? I'm not into resolutions. They tend to fail...so we'll say goals!

Ya'll keep safe and warm..

RoDonna

Farmgirl #2361
"Blessed is the farmgirl who helps make the world a better and healthy place" ~ Me

"For she is clothed with dignity and strength and without fear of the future"-Proverbs 31:25
www.marykay.com/rcarson4
www.pinterest.com/kymomma4
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  07:39:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! Sounds like most of you had a good Christmas! We did as well. It was pretty low key, which is what we wanted. The kids loved all their presents and I personally think the amount they got was just right. Not too many that they couldn't appreciate them all or were overwhelmed but enough that they have been busily playing most of the time since Christmas :). They got a lot of clothes too which always makes mom happy!!!

I am seriously nesting now, which is weird I've never really had that nesting urge before but now I'm starting to be bothered by dirt and clutter anywhere. I'm not a neat freak by nature so its a bit weird for me. I've also started my baby projects. I'll include a picture of the longies I just finished here. I've started a second pair and also finished a woven wrap. I have all the pieces cut to make a ring sling and mai tie. I'm just waiting for the rings for the sling. I have quite a long list of projects so I won't list them all here!

I just applied for my first three merit badges as well as three young cultivator merit badges for my oldest! That's pretty exciting. I also have a few in progress and several I'd like to do soon.

Hope you all have a great week. I am going to be cleaning and working on baby projects. We won't try to keep the kids up till midnight but hubby says we have to stay up because we hardly ever actually get to kiss on New Years. Then on the 5th hubby's schedule goes back to normal (which is crazy busy) and we have less than 2 months before baby gets here!!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  07:46:50 AM  Show Profile
Oops forgot the pic. I'll post a pic of my wrap too although since I don't have a baby to model it there isn't much to show :)

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  09:00:44 AM  Show Profile
Hello porchies,
It is very cold here in my neck of the woods. Christmas was very nice with family. I am enjoying time off from my little butterflies. Yes Peggy they did behave better. Amazing when one says I will have to visit with Santa about your behavior at school...hahahahah I am getting a new student upon return. So I will have 23 students. A very full room.

Other than that I am just enjoying being able to slow down for a bit.
hope yall are doing well.
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Whispers of Morning
http://todayanewday.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  4:50:49 PM  Show Profile
Good Evening Porchies :) Praying everyone is doing well. Today was a pretty typical day... laundry, therapies for my younger two girls... grocery shopping.

RoDonna - I too have started receiving seed catalogs. Oh how I love to dream and plan!

Sabrina - your creations are beautiful! I would love to see your list of plans, selfishly for ideas! Looks like #7 is due in August :D

TLTammy - glad you are enjoying your time off :) Hoping your newest butterfly fits right in!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  7:19:26 PM  Show Profile
Evening ladies. The sick bug has struck here. Jordon woke up this morning throwing up. His girlfriend took him to the doctor. I thought it was a bit premature since it had just started. Although he was hospitalized several years ago for a stomach bug that got out of hand so with him it might not be a bad idea. They gave him a nausea med in syringes that you apply to the wrist and rub into the skin so it absorbs through the skin. Makes sense but I've never seen it before. After he got back he started having chills to the point he was shaking. I heated up the rice packs and she tucked them around him in bed to warm him up. I'm taking my vitamins and supplements and crossing my fingers I don't get it.

I have sprouts already on my lettuce!!! I'm so excited LOL I need something to excite me as the high temp today was -3 with a wind chill of -21 and it definitely felt -21 out. I have got to get the pups some booties to protect their paws.

I started on the box tonight. I got everything out and sorted and was able to put a couple things away. There's a lot of papers that need filed. I have a TON of recipes. How does everybody keep their recipes? I love paper, but I have way too many and need to reduce clutter. I've considered retyping or scanning them into files and putting into a recipe file or possibly to buy a recipe software organizer. I've tried the software route before and I hate typing every recipe in. Suggestions?

Shannon - Great minds think alike. Haven't gotten the refrigerator's freezer done yet. Hopefully tomorrow. Do we need to congratulate you on baby #7 if I read your post right? How exciting!

RoDonna - I'm ready to take the decorations down too. Just not as into Christmas this year with all the drama going on. I'll probably take it down New Year's Day.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  8:08:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi My Porchies...

Sabrina and Shannon..So exciting that we are expecting babies on The Porch. Oh, you mamma's sound like your are busy busy busy,preparing for the main event. Or trying to get all ready before baby arrives on the scene. You know we will
want pictures of those little ones...once they make their Porch Debut. LOL

Teacher Tammy...so glad that you are enjoying your Christmas Vacation. Do you go back next Monday??

Prairie Tammy...I love your new newfangled growing contraption! That looks pretty interesting indeed.
Sorry that Jordan is so sick. That flu/cold is a wicked one this year.

RoDonna...I am not ready to take my decorations down yet. I usually wait until The New Year...but I am
thinking about waiting now until the end of January. This year I decided not to put my Tree up because
I was just tired of wrestling with the lights. So the day after Christmas I ordered a 5ft prelit, pre-decorated
tree. Yup, you heard me right...I ordered one totally assembled and I'm so excited that when it gets here
I'm going to take it out of the box and make sure everything works. My youngest son wants to see it too...so
that is another reason to keep it up awhile and enjoy it. Whether I keep it up a month or not only time will
tell...but I do plan to enjoy it for awhile.

Well...I am tired girls. At I have grandson coming at 7:30 in the morning. I can't believe there really is a 7:30
in the morning...I haven't seen it in 10 years since I retired. LOL

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  10:21:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, This year we weren't in the mood for our big tree either, so I had a 3ft tree that I use to use in my apartment some years back that has all the lights and decorations on it already. It worked fine for us. We sat it on a small table covered with a sheet and it was quite pretty. We loved turning out all the lights but the tree and put a fireplace DVD in the player and just sitting and listening to the logs popping and cracking and relaxing. I have a big collection of snowmen that I leave out until March. Gotta love decorations that are good for all winter long. It was a very quiet Christmas for me with Dave working and the rest of his family down with colds, but I got thru it. Three of my nieces & nephews called and Patsy, so that helped a lot.
Still waiting on snow. We had temps in the 50's for so long that I forgot it was even December. It's getting colder now so just maybe....

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2014 :  02:36:16 AM  Show Profile
Shannon- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

For your pleasure and idea generation....here is my list of "baby items to make:"

"woven" wrap (done)
mai tie
sling (possibly two just because I have two fabrics I want to try but may hold off since I don't know if I will like it)
PUL diaper covers-probably 2-3 each small and med.
Crochet wool diaper covers and longies (the plan is 1 small longies-done, 1 medium longie-in progress, 1 smal and 1 med cover/wrap each from a couple different patterns, don't want to make too many since this is my first try of this)
Diaper covers from repurposed wool sweaters-however many the sweaters I found at the thrift store make (in med and small, longies too)
Diaper covers out of minky or fleece-this is if I find some at the thrift store or on sale, I have a couple fleece blankets we don't use I may chop up!
Baby blanket out of minky fabric (x2 we always give our kids duplicate snuggle blankets so we can wash them!!)
Crocheted baby blanket (I have crocheted one out of the same pattern for all my kids)
Waldorf dolls, simple doll for baby and more intricate dolls for the other three kids-they will get these close to baby being born.
Child sized sling(s), wrap(s) and mai tie(s) for my older kids
Fitted diapers made from the prefolds I have
wipes (maybe, I think I have enough but I have some extra flannel and receiving blankets to do them)
Infinity scarf nursing covers + matching nursing necklaces out of a little of the same fabric, I ordered four fabrics for these.
Something to keep warm while baby wearing, not sure what this will be yet...
Shoes from fleece or crocheted booties...its cold here will need to keep baby's feet warm!
toys (crocheted or sewn, this is if I have time LOL)

That is what's on my to make list right now. In addition I need to clean out/purge/organize my bedroom, my craft room, the school supply room and school cabinet, the pantry, and the storage area plus go through all our existing baby stuff, clean up, see what works and what needs to be replaced (or thrown and not replaced!), sort clothes and pull out all gender neutral clothes and have 0-3 month boys and girls stuff ready to be washed when baby is born and I know which set I need! And make a list and get anything else I need.

And for some reason my family thinks normal life still needs to go on?!?!?! I also realized that starting Monday my husband is back "in cycle." Since he is an instructor our schedule revolves around when there is a class going on, classes last for 4 weeks and he works 6 days a week during that time (so 3 saturdays) and works from about 5am till 7ish pm most days. Cycle starts monday and ends at the end of Jan then he has two full weekends and a week in between classes that he *might* have slower days (but that often doesn't happen since they get tasked with other stuff that week), then cycle starts again and we have 2-3 weeks before baby arrives. SOOOO that means we basically have the rest of this week and then 2 more weekends for him to do anything I need him to do (move boxes and furniture, assemble the crib, watch the other kids so I can clean etc) before baby comes :o That has me a bit tense!!!

So...that said I should probably start working on something!!

Everyone have a happy New Year!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2014 :  07:35:37 AM  Show Profile
Morning, everyone! Here I am again, after another absence. I hope you are all well!

Josh (DH) is working on cars for now. It doesn't pay much, but it is better than nothing, and he enjoys it. Most of the vehicles are older than we are, and honestly, I'm a bit jealous LOL!

I am still looking to get out of banking. I have a few options on the side that I will be looking at.

I'm also looking at joining an art guild in town. Who woulda thought that the little town next door (less than 20,000 people) would have an art guild?? I even got accepted to show some of my art in April at the Lonestar Roundup Car Show in Austin!

I got my Burpee Seeds catalog and will be looking through that for possible gardening this Spring. Our neighbors built us a dog run (finally) so Train won't be able to eat the seedlings/plants/fruits like he did before. I tell you, that dog pulled up a rare purple Magnolia sapling and was carrying it through the yard!!!

Sadly, the reason we had to build the dog run was because one of the pups got out and allegedly bit someone. I am still very wary of everything because that morning, I chained the front gate so that even he could not get through it, yet somehow he still got out. My husband was rather partial to him, too, and it hurts him so much! The shelter where we took him says that there should be no problem finding him a home. He's not a year old yet, and that is the first time he's ever bit anyone. I honestly think this all happened because someone thought he was a pit bull and got upset by it. The truth of the matter is that he is a half Catahoula/half American Bulldog (no pit bull).

Otherwise, things have been a little tough, but livable. Still no babies on the horizon, but if the Good Lord decides to make it happen, he will. If not, we'll raise dogs, haha!

I will try harder to pop in and talk to you all again, soon! I've missed everyone!!

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Thrall, TX

Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2015 :  07:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Hi all.. we got through it all like Judy said. Having family in helped my mind and hands to keep busy but now I'm bushed. Need to do laundry and other stuff but have no gumption. Sounds like you all had a good holiday.

Tammy: I have always kept my recipes on 3x5 file cards in a recipe box. Larger ones are in a 3 ring notebook in pocket sleeves that have black sheets of paper that I tape them to on both sides. Also have just clear pockets to store small appliance booklets.

I want snow to Judy...

Thomas Edison: "Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." :)

Edited by - craftbug on Jan 01 2015 07:33:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2015 :  10:53:32 AM  Show Profile

Here is the Latest Picture of Me/The English Grandmama!!! LOL '
OK, I know I am Lady In Red...but look Like Lady In Purple...
Obviously my two Favorite Colors...What can I say. LOL

Hubby took this yesterday so I could post it on FB to
show me wearing the HAT that Joy Moore/my penpal made for me. Anyway, I thought it
might be FUN to post pictures of ourselves on The Porch, so we can all see what we look like.

Judy & Patsy...you girls can have the snow. I don't want any!!! I can see it in the Foothills of
Vancouver and that is close enough for me. Looks Pretty from a distance. It is so COLD here this
week that I am about ready to drag out my long-johns. LOL We never have to dress for winter here.
Our winter is usually rain. I just took the dog out an hour ago and I swear his pee was freezing
as he went. I didn't let him dally out there because I was froze in a minutes time.
Last New Years my youngest son got married (as most of you remember) and Sadie wore her sleeveless
wedding dress outside with out even a jacket on. Couldn't do that here last night.

Well Mrs. Miranda...long time no hear from. So glad to have you back on the Porch. You went and got
married and then we rarely hear from you. LOL

Sabrina...please tell me what a Nursing Necklace is????

Patsy...glad you made it through the Holidays despite missing your mama so badly. Having other loved
ones around helped I am sure.

Hey girls...I found a 5ft Pre-lit, Pre-decorated Christmas tree (brand new) on E-Bay for $50.00 and
free shipping. It is suppose to be here Monday and I can't wait to see it. I do have a picture I will
post here so you have a general idea of what it looks like. When I saw the Words Pre-decorated...I
did a Happy Dance!!! I gave all the Family Heirloom Decoration to my youngest son about 4 years ago..
and had done my small tree in all Blue and Silver Balls and Ornaments...but they were cheap decorations
and I made Silver Ribbon Bows to fill in the Branches. It was really pretty...but I am ready for a
change. This new one is kind of Mauve/Pink.

OK, My Porchies...let's see your FACES!!! Post Your Picture!

Love and Happy New Year My Sweet Ones,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 01 2015 10:55:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2015 :  01:30:21 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, it's basically a necklace with big interesting beads and/or a ring on the end (I'm using wooden rings but some use stone). There are lots of ways to make them as long as they are made of safe material there really isn't a "right" or "wrong." They are generally pretty chunky. The idea is mom can wear it and it gives baby something to fiddle with when nursing, especially if baby is prone to fiddling or getting distracted. I've also seen moms take them off and hand them to baby to play with (an older baby) when they are stuck with an antsy baby and no toys, obviously you would want to make sure it was really well made and everything is secure for that. I'll post a pic when I make them.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2015 :  11:11:07 AM  Show Profile
So today I realized that not only does hubby have only three weekends left before the baby gets here (including the one starting tomorrow) but I only have three weeks left to get all baby and birth supplies gathered and ready (we are having a homebirth). The general suggestion is to have everything ready by 37 weeks, well that is Feb 4th for me, but I need to add 7-10 days for anything that needs to be ordered which means ordering by the 25th ish of January! Oh my goodness that doesn't give me much time to check local sources and shop around!!! Luckily I am a nut for lists and have all my checklists for birth and baby pretty much done I just need to go through baby stuff and see what I have and what I need or need to replace.

Anyway, here are some just finished projects for your viewing pleasure. A ring sling and woven wrap for my daughter's (or son) to babywear their dolls!! I didn't want them to think I was only making things for baby ;).

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2015 :  11:18:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh and I got my bedroom completely cleaned and organzied!! Its SOOOO nice and peaceful now!! Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to work on our school storage room and the school shelves in the living room, that is my goal (along with baby crafts and maybe baby shopping....and getting hubby to dig out some boxes for me to go through this week since apparently I need to get on top of that!!!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page