Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  11:26:30 AM  Show Profile
Luanne...that is Awesome!!! You will have to share all about it once you've gone.
I'm curious about their Wedding Traditions.

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  11:31:59 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon ladies. Gray and cool today but not as cold as it has been and no wind to note (for ND that is). On my lunch break so I thought I'd jump on. I've gotten a bunch done on my rag rug this week. I've got almost half it done already! I'm excited. Need to get some of my fabric tubs out and start cutting fabric up for the next one.

Shannon - I use to love to jump in leaves also until I developed severe allergies in 5th grade. At least I had the joy of it for several years before that :o) I didn't do too bad this year other than breaking out a bit on my arms and wrist where leaves got in under my shirt and gloves. No asthma flare thankfully. The Amish chicken & noodles with mashed potatoes was a comfort food. Occasionally is okay but yah the double starches will kill you lol.

Heather - How are the kittens doing? You hanging in playing kitty mama? lol

Peggy - I'm with you on PJ day - the whole week has been a stay in your pj type of week. I'm with you on the GMO stuff too. It's ruining everything. Why has it been banned in something so many countries yet people here think it's the save all? Makes no sense. FYI - Did you know there's an Amish community in MT? If I get my camper I'm heading over to check it out. It would be neat to see it and compare it to Indiana's Amish community where I grew up.

Judy - how I envy you going to Amish country! The Amish quilts and their clothes hanging on the clothesline during the fall are so beautiful.

Luanne - What a privilege to attend an Amish wedding! I bet you're excited. They are huge! You'll have to give us a HUGE description of it afterwards.

Okay, back to work for me. One more day and this week will be done. Good news though, that special project I was on is finished as of tomorrow!

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Etsy: PrairieGpysyCrafts
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  4:52:59 PM  Show Profile
Special news bulletin just came across the TV - they caught the sniper that killed the state trooper and seriously wounded a second one. No details yet, but finally our little town can get back to normal. We've lived in fear and frustration for 7 weeks. What a relief.

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

My blog: finallyafarmgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  5:25:20 PM  Show Profile
Praise God Luanne!!!

Love and Hugs,

Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  9:41:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh Luanne, I'm so relieved that they caught him! There's a second one? Oh no!
Yes, the laundry was on all the Amish clotheslines and even on some of the porches. It was a cloudy day and I think some of them feared rain might drench them. One family had a clothesline that went from the porch, up a hilly yard, into a huge tree. It was full of clothes too. They use the pulley system so that they don't even have to leave the porch to put up and take down the clothes. Pretty smart, since that tree end of the line was about 15 feet off the ground. I've been reading the library books, The Amish Cook, that Elizabeth Coblentz wrote and then her daughter Lovina Eicher after Elizabeth passed. What wonderful reading! I learned a lot about that amazing family and Amish in general! I copied a lot of recipes too. I take after my Mama, I love to read and copy recipes.

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2014 :  02:55:51 AM  Show Profile
Judy - there was only one sniper. He shot 2 state troopers, killing one and severely injuring the other. We are so thankful to the PSP, FBI, ATF, US Marshalls, local police and everyone else that searched for this man for over 7 weeks. Finally got a good night's sleep with no helicopters circling overhead.

It was announced last night that trick-or-treating will be allowed tonight for our township. It had been cancelled along with our Halloween Parade because of the shooter. All the local kids are SO excited! I have to run and get candy today - hadn't bought any since the kids weren't going to be allowed out for safety reasons.

Happy Halloween everybody! Hot cider and pumpkin donuts for breakfast on the porch if you're hungry!

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

My blog: finallyafarmgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2014 :  4:52:10 PM  Show Profile
Good evening chicklettes! It's been a long time since I've been on the porch. I might lurk a little but with my life being busy with gardens and life in general, I haven't been able to pop in. My 7 yo lost his first tooth a few weeks ago. My dh and I went to Vermont for a 9 year anniversary/birthday trip for dh. Went to the Northeast kingdom, then to the western part and down through the heros. It was a beautiful trip through farm country. We hit the trees at peak turning. Lake Willoughby was stunning! Not a lot new with this chicklette. Had a fair blueberry crop. Crappy haying weather. could have sold another 1000 bales if we had the fields like we did last year but one person sold the loam off one field and another, the owner died. the third was sold to another family who put it into sheep. So we lost 3 of our 7 fields that we mow for hay. We're expecting our first snowfall this weekend. Hoping to get some hunting in on opening day. I've been horse back riding, something that I haven't done in 15 years. My first trip, I went down a 10 foot embankment backwards, but the horse and I came out unscathed. The second trip was uneventful, but we rode about 8 miles. The other woman, who owns the horses, and I were both sore for 3 days. Now that deer season is upon us, I'll be riding in her "ring" and developing my seat, which was never strong to begin with. I found I never really lost any knowledge, I'm just rusty. The horse is a little of a handful. BUT... before moving back to eastern maine from southern 14 years ago, I learned a lot from and old friend by watching and listening to her work her own horses. It's amazing what a person can learn just by watching and remembering, even 15 years later. Well happy Fall everyone! TTFN!

Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2014 :  9:13:31 PM  Show Profile

Well, Little Woodsie Owl came to Trick or Treat and Grandmama's House Tonight.

We were the first stop...as I had bought him a bucket and filled it with Fruit Snacks, some little toys, and
Suckers. He was so darn cute and loved the fruit snacks!

They were just taking him to a few houses. They never let him have candy...so, I'm sure they will eat most of it. LOL

I didn't see that many kids out tonight trick or treating but I know our Church and most of the larger Churches in our
area do Trunk or Treat Events...it is just a way safer environment for the kids. Our Mall does a big Event too.

Lorena...you have been busy girl!! All sounds like fun though. I would love to see the Leaves in Vermont. I have never
been back there. ~ You can have the Snow! I like it for about a week then that is enough. LOL ~ Happy Hunting! ~ Come
back soon...don't stay away so long.

Luanne...so glad they got that guy!! That is such great news... for your area can now breathe a bit easier.
We had a shooting here this morning that put five schools in lock down. Some guy shot and killed his land lady
because she was going to take him to court for renting out rooms in the house he was renting. Then he wounded
a by stander out on the street and then killed himself before the cops found him. Such a CRAZY World we live in.

Judy...I want to get those Amish Cook-books and read them too. I looked on Amazon and you can get them used for
pretty reasonable prices. Love and Hugs sent your way girlfriend!

Well, I guess I'm going to read for awhile...and have a cuppa tea and some of those pumpkin donuts Luanne left on The Porch.

Blessings and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Nov 01 2014 8:12:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2014 :  11:52:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh Peggy.........just love that Lil' Woodsie Owl!! You are so blessed, Grandmama!!!

Lorena...welcome home!

My best to all,
Mel
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2014 :  1:24:37 PM  Show Profile
Luanne - so glad they caught that guy. Scary he was able to evade that long.

Judy - Glad you're enjoying the Amish Cook books. I'm the same as you about reading cookbooks. M* thinks I'm crazy lol.

Peggy - What a cute trick-or-treater. I only had 5 kids total, which is 5 more than I had last year :O)

Well today has been somewhat productive despite my fatigue. M* woke me up about 2:30 this morning coming to bed and I realized I had a massive migraine. Got up and took some meds and went back to bed. Once the meds started to kick in I realized it was a sinus migraine and the pain laying down was more than I could take so I got up and slept in my recliner with an ice bottle on my neck. Slept for about 3 hours in the chair and then moved back to the bedroom. The dogs must have sensed I wasn't feeling well since they let me sleep until almost 8, which is nearly unheard of for them. Put away all my Halloween decorations but left my fall decorations up. Cleaned the living room, my office area and the master bedroom as well as knocking out part of the kitchen. I'm trying to build up some energy to give Tip a bath. He's been a scratching fiend lately. I've added olive oil to his diet but it will take a while and I'm sure a bath will help sooth him. The bathrooms will wait until tomorrow, I just don't have the energy. I'd like some craft time later today but we'll see how I'm feeling.

Well I put in my application at Walmart so I'll wait and see if they are willing to let me work the hours I offered. All overtime has been cut at work so I need a part time. I'm crossing fingers as I need new tires before we get serious snow here. M* wanted me to apply for a janitorial type position, cleaning offices or businesses, but I'm not sure I want to do that again, especially leaving late at night in our weather conditions during the winter here. I also found out that work will be training again later this month or early next month in another specialty so I went in Friday and spoke with my team leader to request I be allowed to take the training. It will make life here really interesting to say the least. I need to get some more specialties under my belt. They've been training so many in lab that we're running out of work which isn't good.

Hope everybody has a great day!

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2014 :  6:06:52 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, as usual your little trick or treater is adorable. I love watching him grow up.

Praire Tammy, sorry about the migraine. Glad you were able to beat it. I hope you aren't going to be over doing it working two jobs.

Luanne, so glad they caught that guy. I'm sure everyone is feeling much safer now.

Not much going on in my world. My son's new girlfriend is past tense. Didn't last long. She started to give him mixed messages. He is keeping the lines of communication open but isn't willing to deal with any drama.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  01:26:09 AM  Show Profile
I'm still here! Just been busy, trying to get the kids back on some sort of school routine that has lagged off lately and putting a lot into planning for our farmgirl chapter. We have the next two meetings planned, one we will be making vapor rub, elderberry syrup and magnesium lotion and the next we will be making Christmas ornaments. Since our group has a lot of children (military wives tend to be in their 20s and 30s and have kids!) we will have a craft for the kids at each as well. We are also hitting the road and going pottery shopping in poland on black friday!! So lots to plan!

I've also been looking into ways to earn some extra money (in the few extra hours a day I have). They (the army) make it really hard here. The ends meet so we don't NEED it but we would like to get some savings built up and debt paid off before hubby retires in 6.5 years. We have dreams of purchasing a little land and having a hobby farm and we would like to be a little more financially independent so he doesn't have to work full time. Especially with the job market being so tough. However, I can't babysit more than 10 hours a week "on a regular basis" here without jumping through a million hoops to get certified....its not that getting certified is a bad thing but I don't want to be "open" 12 hours a day (which they require) or even really have full time kids, and since I could only have 2 kids in addition to mine it just isn't worth it. I can't run a physical home based business (i.e. direct sales) without jumping through a million hoops to get that approved, and they make that nearly impossible (you can't use your military post office box, you can't use your car, can't buy anything for the biz at the PX, and more) so that is out, I have a company but I just run it online which is less effective. I regularly toy with the idea of blogging but I know its hard to make any money doing that....just frustrating that we are rather stuck with no options just because we are stationed overseas! Anyway, that was more of a rant than I intended! :)

Hope everyone is doing well!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  01:28:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh and Peggy that is just an adorable costume!! :)

Our kids have lots of allergies and personally I don't like all the gruesome stuff so we don't trick or treat but we handed out candy, got a lot of German trick-or-treaters which surprised me! (also handing out candy doesn't really help with avoiding the gruesome like I'd hoped lol)

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  04:18:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi gals!

Luanne, that is fantastic news about the caught sniper. I'm sure the town is relieved.

Lorena, I hope you get a deer (or two) to fill up your freezer with good meat. Stay on your horse! No more going down embankments.

Peggy, that costume is so stinkin' cute! So is the little boy.

Prairie Tammy, I hope your work/financial situation gets better.

Sabrina, wow, that's a lot of regulations to deal with. I hope you find the perfect thing for you to do.

We're dealing with neighborhood development encroaching around us. It has made us miserable and we just don't want to live here anymore. My realtor is trying to work out a deal with a developer to purchase my properties. I feel like a sell out but I just don't have the energy or money to fight it.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  04:26:54 AM  Show Profile
Catherine-I saw your post about the development :( what a pain. Guess it happens but seems so discouraging. I don't understand why when a developer buys property they just assume they can bully out the neighbors!! You bought the property bordering these existing small farms why didn't you expect natural lawns and animals??? If it bothers you put up a wall or fence. Ugh. Just seems so inconsiderate. I hope you are able to sell for enough to buy an equal or better property somewhere else and cover the move!

As far as finding something, I don't know if I will honestly. I'm trying to figure out how to balance what is worth my time and effort because if I'm "working" I'm not paying attention to the house or kids, on the other hand they are still here and I can still stop to respond to them. All the at home things seem to be such low pay. For a blog I am not sure I can narrow my focus enough to make it successful, I have so many interests!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  07:22:23 AM  Show Profile
Good Mornen' My Porchies...Well, I guess Falling Back out of Day Light Saving Time has messed up my sleep...
because yesterday I woke up at 7:00 AM and this morning at 6:00 AM and since I don't go to bed until after
2:00 am every night...that doesn't give me much sleep. So, I will chat with you all, drink a cup of tea and
then hopefully go back to bed for a few more hours. We are getting some serious rain today...over an inch
for this 24 hour period...then we are heading in for a cold but dry spell...Praise The Lord!! Oh, boy this
tea is yummy this morning...I mixed some Cranberry Tea with some Vanilla Tea and it is quite tasty!!

Well, I was suppose to take the Train to Seattle tomorrow and stay with my son and DIL and grand-daughters
for a week but Miss Madeline came down with Strep Throat yesterday...so, I had to cancel. I have a very
compromised Immune System with my Fibro...and don't dare catch that kind of thing...if I can avoid it. So,
the girls are bummed and so is Grandmama. But they will all be here in a few weeks for Thanksgiving with
some of their friends in Salem Oregon...so, I will see them once or twice at the end of the month. I also
will still try to see them in early Spring for a week.

Catherine...Oh, my goodness girl that sounds like such a headache to have to deal with other properties and
people closing in on your little piece of Heaven like that...but goodness nobody can blame you for not wanting
to continue to be miserable. I would want out to. Hope your realtor can get you what you want and need for
your properties.

Sabrina...sounds like you are kind of stuck between a rock and hard place...as far as earning more income.
You sound extremely busy anyway without adding a "JOB" on top of it all. I think we all wish there was some
magic wand we could wave and find the "Perfect" at Home Job... but they are just too few and far between.
My oldest son in Seattle has the perfect job because he works from home and gets paid extremely well...He is
an Events Planner for a International Company. He has to fly to his corporate office in Chicago about 4 times
a year but other than that He works and Telecommunicates from Home. Also our Porchie Prairie Gypsy Tammy works
from home also...but I think like my son...she had to start off in Corporate Offices and then was able to
negotiate working from home. Being in a foreign Country and in The Military just adds extra complications.

Bunny...sorry to hear your son's girlfriend was a short-lived relationship...but in the end that is not always
a bad thing. Sounds like she may have been a Drama Queen and not very many men want to put up with that. ~
How are things going with the San Francisco Store...consigning your clothes? Hope it is a successful venture for
you and not a waste of your time and effort. ~ Yes, it is fun watching my little guy grow...but let me tell
you he is such a Character. Now that he walks and runs he is into so much mischief...and he delights in it!! If
you tell him "NO!" he is challenged to do it just to spite you. Last Sat. while I was watching him he started pushing
his dads paper work off his desk...so I picked him up and moved him...and as I was straightening the papers he
went over to the dog food bowl and threw it all over the floor...and he's laughing while doing it...so I whipped
him up and put him in the PacknPlay while I cleaned up the dog food...and so he throws all his toys out of the
PacknPlay onto the floor...and thinks that is great fun too. I tell you it is a good thing he was born CUTE because
it is the only thing that is going to keep him alive. LOL His parents don't swat or slap-hands...they just use
diversion and time-outs...but I'm thinking that isn't working so well. He just finds all obstacles to his fun...
a challenge to meet head-on.

Prairie Tammy...Migraines are not fun. Are yours stressed induced or hormonal? Oh, I just went up and re-read your
post and you said it was a Sinus Migraine. Those can be the worst because your whole face hurts besides your head.
~ I haven't started the Healing Quilt yet but have it on my Kindle. Wanda Bruenstettar (sp) is my favorite Amish
writer. ~ I put all my Halloween Decorations away too and then just added my Pilgrim Couple and some sheep to all
my pumpkins and gourds.

Well, I think I am almost ready to go back to bed for awhile. So, more later girlies.

Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  10:53:32 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, you are right my hands are pretty full I was just hoping to help my family a bit. I was inspired by a blog called "Teaching Good Things" to brainstorm but if it doesn't work out that is ok. We are blessed and all our needs are met with a little left over. I know God has a plan and if that isn't for me to have an income that is ok. I am probably going to be doing nursery care for our chapel until the baby comes and that pays well and doesn't require me to find childcare for my kids. I will go back to it when I feel like baby and I are ready so maybe that is enough. I will keep crafting and start writing and maybe this is just a season for learning and practice :). I can be ok with that. I just can't see taking time and attention away from my kids for a tiny bit of money (everything I've seen seems to come out to around $3-5 an hour).

I'm with you on the daylight savings throwing me off! I wake up early but feel groggy. Its getting dark before 5 here (not dark dark but definitely starting to get twilight) and that makes me feel like I need to be in bed at 7!! Of course I don't know how much is really just the pregnancy!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  12:43:28 PM  Show Profile
The kitties are doing ok. 2 are doing great, but one is just so much smaller than the other 2 and I can't get her to eat any more. She seems healthy though. Just little. They got moved outside today :( It's a big stress for hubby to have them in the house. Me too to be honest. I can't get them to drink out of a bowl. I'm hoping by interacting with some of the other cats they'll pick up on how to do it. They have a nice warm home in the sheep shed since my nephew sold all his sheep at the fair. I put up a heat lamp and everything for them. They should be fine. I'll still feed them extra times since their mama won't.

Peggy - your Halloween visitor is SO cute :)

We got snow that stuck Halloween night. I thought it was the perfect way start the day. My sister in law and I were going to Christmas open houses in my favorite little town. We got a later start than I wanted, but the snow put me in a good mood. We get all the way there (about an hour and 15 minutes away) and figure out that the open houses aren't until this weekend. We're going back - and this time my mother in law is coming too so I guess it all worked out.

Sorry this is such a short visit to the porch, but I need to get back to work on Christmas gifts before milking. I'm a little stressed out with my lack of gift making progress. Have a great evening everyone.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2014 :  11:02:20 AM  Show Profile
Just dropped in quickly. I need to know if anybody's address changed since last year's tea exchange and did we add anybody? I'm getting ready to mail so wanted to check first.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2014 :  2:31:49 PM  Show Profile
Tammy...I will email you the List.

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2014 :  12:45:52 PM  Show Profile
Wow, it's been very quiet on the porch the last 5 days! I guess everyone is inside where it's warm :) It's very chilly here. Only in the mid 40's, but it's windy so it feels colder. It's really supposed to be cold midweek next week. Good excuse to work on Christmas crochet projects. We went back to the Christmas open houses yesterday. It was a fun time, but didn't get much. It seems like things are a bit too pricey for me this year. I was sad to see my favorite store (we all call it the barn - since it's actually in an old barn) is closing for good in December. I guess it's like Peggy likes to say - everything has it's season.

The kittens are doing really well. They've become very good friends with the next older bunch of kittens. They all pile up under the heat lamp. The older one's keep the little one's licked clean. They all play by batting at each other. The little ones fall over a lot. It's fun to watch. The only bad part is I still can't get them to drink from the bowl. They just stand in it or sniff the milk up their little nose and sneeze for a while. Hopefully soon. All three try to attack the bottle at the same time. It's hard to hold the bottle, the nursing kitten, and keep the other 2 kittens away from the one nursing. My niece, nephew, and sister in law are all trying to talk my brother in law into adopting them. My niece (she's 5) said today "daddy, we need help aunt Hettie find them a house to stay warm in this winter - I think ours will be real good!" He didn't agree.

Well, not much else has been going on besides the normal busy farm work. I guess I'll go make a hot cup of tea and work on gifts for about 45 minutes until milking time. I hope everyone has a wonderful week.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2014 :  10:42:40 PM  Show Profile
Heather...I agree with you...our Porchies must all be very busy... or out doing the Christmas thing already.
Glad to hear that the kittens are all doing well. Now to find them good homes huh?

I had a really good day...started out spending time with the Lord in complete Solitude. It was Wonderful. Then
I had to take a nap as my Chronic Fatigue hit me...just two hours after I got up. Later in the day Hubby
and I went to Barnes and Noble and worked on my Bible Study Lesson for Thursday Night. Then I came home and made dinner
and spent the Evening knitting and watching TV.

We are getting ready to have a cold spell this week. High's in 40's and lows in the 20's. Which I know is warm for
most of the Country...but cold for us.

I am fatigued again tonight (way too early) but goes with the weather change.

I hate how early it gets dark now. We were coming home from Barnes and Noble and it happened so fast that it was
like someone pulled a curtain down in front of us.

Well, what does everyone have planned for Thanksgiving??? We can't decide if we are going out to dinner or
having it at my sons. The problem is that both families like to have it together and that makes about 20 people
total. AT my youngest sons...it is hard to accommodate that many people in their starter home. And last year
the Restaurant we like to go to...crammed us all in a corner...with no elbow room to move...and it was very uncomfortable.
So...we keep debating what to do. We are going to have to decide pretty soon or else Thanksgiving will be over. LOL

Well, come on My Porchies...I don't want to have to send out the Posse again.

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  04:26:54 AM  Show Profile
We had a busy weekend! Hubby unexpectedly got Saturday off (he usually works Saturdays) so that was awesome. Then Sunday we went with a ministry group we are part of to a church and orphanage in Czech republic. That was fun but I was so utterly wore out when we got home and even still today that I'm wondering if it was a great idea. We have been once before and I love the opportunity as I have a burden for orphans anyway but with three little kids its hard to do. I need to keep all of them in sight at all times to make sure none of them wonder off somewhere they shouldn't and they don't exactly like to stay together! LOL Hubby ends up playing soccer with the boys which means I just watch kids. Also, none of the kids speak English or Germany and I don't speak any Czech, not that I would expect them to but there is a huge language barrier! We had more people able to translate with us this time but its still hard to have a conversation. The group I went with did a "fall fest" for the kids which was fun and they seemed to really enjoy it but there was food involved that my kids couldn't have so that was an extra challenge. Also it was cold and drizzly so while we spent most of the time outside it was rather miserable (but better than being inside because there was a playground). They are going back in December and taking Christmas presents for all the kids, my family will definitely buy some presents and help with preparations but I don't know if we will go this time, since I'll be 7 months preg I won't feel up to chasing my kids!! Also its hard to find the way back home and my GPS doesn't work there so we are stuck until someone else leaves....which is fine except for yesterday I wasn't feeling so great. Man I sound like a complainer!! I really am grateful for the experience and opportunity and wish there was more I could do to help but yesterday turned out to be difficult!

This morning getting people back on track was harder than I expected. My middle-and most strong willed-child had a really good week last week but this morning and last night had a really rough time. I'm thinking she ate something she shouldn't have yesterday. Plus my oldest is being slow about her school work, she has been working for 3 hours on stuff she easily could have finished in less than 1 and there is still more to do!! Again, I'm suspecting she ate something. I wish the food issues didn't make going to pot lucks and things so difficult!!!

Today I need to catch up on my Bible study, work on some swap projects and try to work on the girls promised doll clothes. I'm still wore out from yesterday so we will see if I'm successful.

We are having thanksgiving with our Bible Study group then on Friday I'm supposed to be going to Poland to do some pottery shopping then on Saturday we are planning to go to a Christmas Market with a group. I need to rest a lot the next couple weeks to have the energy for all that!!!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  4:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Sabrina
All you have done and will be doing sounds wonderful. Being preggers sure would zap your energy but what an incredible experience for all of you. My son was in Germany a few times and said it is beautiful. My sister also.

Peggy
Elijah is so cute. Keeping you hopping now! LOL! That will surely let you know there's a reason babies are born when we are younger! Poor Sarah. I wouldn't want to be pregnant in my 90's!

Heather
Everything is so expensive anymore. Glad the kitties are doing well. They are so cutwhen they are little. Are they all tame? We have some kitties from summer but they are wild little buggers!

Catherine
How's the real estate issue working out?

Off to do my Bible study for tomorrow AM.

Have a great evening!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  12:33:59 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies. We're having white flakes but not accumulation is expected thankfully. We've got a dusting on the ground now and that's enough lol. Temps are about 20' for a high.

Wow has the porch been quiet! Where is everybody?

Well it looks like my son is moving out. He met a girl at work and is planning on getting a place. I'm not happy about it.

1. She just broke up with her ex.
2. they all 3 work together at the same store
3. he's only known her for a month
4. neither of them has a vehicle or a place so they're staying at a friend's place together until his next pay day and he says he's getting an apartment.

Unfortunately he thinks I'm going to be a free taxi service for them when he needs it and I'm not happy about it. Last night he texted me and asked me to pick them up after work so I picked them up at 9pm, brought them back here so he could get clean clothes (he appears to have packed all his clothes), then he wanted to stop at the grocery store and then at Hardees to buy them supper before I dropped them off. It was almost 10:30 when I got home. It felt like I'd lost my entire evening. He says he'll get a truck in 2 pay periods - how I don't know. Please keep him in prayer. I'm just worried he'll get over his head and she'll go back to her ex or dump him. I met her for the first time last night and she seems nice but flighty. He seems to like to try to rescue the damsels in distress. Personally I think she's like this drama a bit to much.

On the good note I got called in to interview at Walmart so it's just getting through their paperwork and interviews and it's supposedly a given I'll be offered a position. This could possibly give me a reason not to play taxi service very often. M* threw a fit when I went to my interview Monday claiming he does't want to be home by himself all weekend. That he's working overtime on weekends and I have no issue doesn't seem to matter. I did request no Fridays and no Sundays so I wouldn't be working like I did before. I'm suggesting 8 hours on Saturdays and 2 - 4 hour shifts at night for my work schedule. I want one day off a week so that's why I said no Sundays. Fridays M* has off so if we want to do something like go to Fargo that would be a better day so things aren't so crowded. We shall see how this pans out.

I got an early birthday present - my son is coming home Friday from Afghanistan. Two weeks ago they told him they were extended their stay 1 to 2 months and then my DIL said Friday they informed them they're coming back. His flight into Ft. Hood is due in Friday afternoon. Got to love the Army.

OH, just learned a new trick. Many of us have our post disappear while typing. Try hitting the control button & Z button at the same time and it should come back. Just happened to me and I tried it and it worked. It's worth a try.

Okay, back to work. Stay warm everybody!

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page