Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2014 :  6:58:35 PM  Show Profile
Bunny - I received my teas yesterday and they smell divine! Haven't had a chance to drink one yet. Hopefully tonight.

Peggy: Yes, I did get a good deal. They're a little beaten up but I'm hoping some elbow grease and maybe some paint will do the trick. Anybody have any ideas on how to get nail polish off the seats without ruining the finish? I noticed some crayon scribble on the bottom of the table today so I'm assuming she had a little girl although some boys do like nail polish so I shouldn't jump to gender identity lol. M* thinks leaving them unpainted is more rustic. We'll see how they clean up. I also got a black oak tv stand for Jordon for $30 from the same person. It's nice and heavy so will easily hold the 60' tv he wants.

I love the craft with the falling leaves. Did you use silk leaves or real ones?

Your mouth dryness - are you using artificial sweeteners? I have a similar problem if I use fake sugar of any type. My mouth tastes dry and like something died in it. Nasty.

Books: I finished the Half-Stiched Amish Quilting Club and it's sequal The Tattered Quilt. I just started The Alchemist. Finished reading Good Cheap Easy - Discover 55 recipes for less than 2 Dollars! One I really liked recently was The Promise of Provence by Patricia Sands. Awesome read. I also finished The Kissing Bridge. I'm also still working on The Amish Cook's Anniversary Book. If you haven't ready any of The Amish Cook's stuff it's different from a regular cookbook in that she writes an article for a newspaper and occasionally contributes recipes which they compiled into several cookbooks. It's an interesting glimpse into Amish life.

Bunny - M* being home while I'm working just won't work. He's way to high maintenance and everything he wants is important. My office is also between the dining room and living room so there's no shutting the door to block him out.

Luanne - I'm sure getting away from that was relaxing for you. I know how you must feel having been on military bases when they've gone into lock down before. It's a bit unnerving. Hopefully it will end soon.

Today was nice and sunny although I wasn't out much. I finished up my peaches today. I processed 2 canners yesterday and the last one today. Managed to get 21 pints out out it, unfortunately one of the bottoms broke on one of the jars while processing. It's the first time in all the years I've been canning that I've ever had a jar break (knock on wood) so it was bound to happen eventually. Matt took the jar out after the water cooled and looked at it and noticed it was defective as the thickness of the glass was different on one side, it was a lot thicker than on the other sides. Surprisingly it was one of my Ball jars, I figured it would have been a Kerr jar because rarely does anybody have problems with Ball. I have a ton of veggies and fruits from my Bountiful Basket orders so I need to make up menus to try and use everything up. M* used some of the apples tonight for apple dumplings. Tomorrow we're using a bunch of celery, garlic, parsley and carrots for homemade chicken noodle soup. I have a late yoga class tomorrow so it will be nice to come home to a yummy bowl of chicken noodle soup afterwards.

I'm getting tired so I think it's time for a cup of tea and a book before bed. Night everybody.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Etsy: PrairieGpysyCrafts
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2014 :  8:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I have such a hard time getting on this site and posting. It flies off somewhere and then I don't repost. Anyone else have this problem?

TLTammy
Oh no already? Maybe we need a wine swap instead of a tea swap! LOL! Your picture of the boys and your furbaby is priceless. Handsome sons with their faithful friend. Sorry for your loss. It never is easy. Many good memories will carry you through.

PGTammy
Wow, I had my first Ball break in the canner this year too. I didn't inspect it though to see if the glass was thinner. What a mess. Walmart is paying pretty good! You really get a lot of produce. I wish we had that around here.

Judy and Patsy
Big hugs and many prayers sweet sisters.

Bunny
Got your teas and tucks. I love peach tea. I'm going to put a pin back on the flower and put it on my jean jacket. The quilt is wonderful. He will love it. Your outfits are gorgeous. Good for the sale! I asked about the sewing machine. I know singer is plastic junk. My DIL gave me her mother's Bernina. It needs a good cleaning. I was using it until I picked up a Kenmore at a thrift store for $22.50. Cabinet, cams and all. I had one similar when I was first married. It really needs a good cleaning and a new belt too.

Luanne
This situation is scary. Still didn't catch him but the news just said they are closing in on him.

Peggy
They had Dr Oz before a government panel for endorsing some of the products on his show. 37 years seems extreme. There must be something else that you don't know about. God knows and that's all that matters. All in my prayers.

I'm posting this and then starting a new post because I don't want to lose this one.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2014 :  8:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Well my 2nd post just evaporated. I'm really fed up with it!

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2014 :  9:58:44 PM  Show Profile

Good Evening My Porchies...

Just wanted to show off the Amazing Farmgirl Journal My Very Special Friend Tammy Cummings made for me in our Henhouse
Swap. The entire Journal is Awesome but I am going to post more pictures on my Blog this coming week. But had to share
with you that she Even Included My Porchies in the Journal. LOL How cool is that? I'm not sure exactly which of you
lovely Ladies are represented by the picture but hey...if the apron fits wear it! LOL

I will let you all know when I post more of the pictures on my blog.

Darlene...I heard some of Dr. Oz's testimony and they were really reading him the riot act weren't they.
There is a lot more to Daniels case but I couldn't share it all with you guys...or I would start worrying
again. Just know that my husband and I covet your prayers.

Judy...loved your creative little rhyming post!! Great to have you back on The Porch Tonight.

Prairie Tammy...I would use cheap hair spray to try to get off the nail polish. Also, sometimes using
more nail polish (use clear) will remove older nail polish. You might also try Hydrogen Peroxide. Not all
at the same time mind you.

I use Stevia drops to Sweeten my Tea and Coffee. Or Raw Sugar and Stevia mixed. No artificial Sweetners.

I will get on here more tomorrow girls. Off to try to find Downton Abbey.

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  11:56:27 AM  Show Profile
afternoon ladies. Another low 50's temp day. Love it for working out in the yard. Being so busy with my 'Angel Mama'(my new name for her now)all summer set me back in the gardening/weed wielding dept., so I am just now catching up. I was surprised by a visit yesterday from our lawn-boy/young man now. He and his family moved away back in July and we haven't seen him since. But he was in town with his family yesterday for a parade we have every year this time and, was I ever surprised at the young man that stepped inside when Dave opened the door. He's a few inches taller than me now, but still hangs his head bashfully. Some of you remember the cute red-headed, freckle-faced 'Opie' child and his snake, Jess that I took a pic of a couple years ago. This young man is still a joy to us, well mannered curious and innocent and 15 now...WHAT!/? Wow! He's enjoying the new school and home in the country even though it was a rocky start. He did NOT want to leave this town. Typical kid! haha I knew once he got there he'd love it. My BIL went there. Nice simple folk. No stuck up kids there..so he informed me. I'm glad he adjusted.
Bunny, I am sipping your peach oolong tea as I write. Very nice and smooth. Oolongs are so much smoother than black teas...in my opinion. haha
PGTammy, I will be looking into the Amish Cook books. Do you suppose the library would have them?
Peg, I too am interested in that candle you made. What type of glue did you use to glue the leaves into place before you decoupaged them? I would love to try that. Have you burned it yet? Is it as pretty as it sounds?
Well, I had better get to work. Hubby left for work and I'm acting like I haven't thing to do.
Later Ladies. Man this tea is sooooo tasty today since it's cold. This cold weather allows for more hot teas to be drug out and brewed. Love it!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  12:39:57 PM  Show Profile
Darlene - So sorry your posts keep disappearing! I thankfully have not had that issue yet, and like you would be so frustrated if I did!

PGTammy - I feel funny writing that, as I often think of "pregnant" when I write that, but I am sure you know what I mean ;) I too have had jars break this year, in both my waterbath and pressure canners. I wonder if the mass production is causing more issues. It is especially frustrating when it is a brand new jar, rather than one I am re-using! I have never thought to actually look at them and see if I can figure out why they break.

TLTammy - I am so sorry your kiddos are already giving you issues this year! Since being home from MD, we just started school back up today with my own kids. Oy! What a day! THey are still not finished, though they should have been 2-3 hours ago!!!

Judy - I LOVE your name for your mom! I can see where your garden could be therapy for you! How sweet of your lawn boy coming for a visit! I love your description of him! It is so sweet that he came by for a visit.

Luanne - continuing to pray for you and the situation in your town! How scary and frustrating! I've read some news articles regarding it, but I have to wonder how true all of it is, and how stretched other parts are. The stories seem to attempt to make the issue exciting, rather than how scary they really are!!! I so want to call them up and remind them that there are real people that died and real people's lives in danger. Why must everything be twisted into something impersonable? Okay... off my soap box, lol.

Peggy - What an incredible gift that journal is! Continuing to pray for your son and all of your family!

Things here are alright. Saturday was absolutely glorious temperature wise, and then it was warm again yesterday (upper 80s). Today hasn't been too bad, and now we are enjoying a lovely rain shower. Truth be told, we do not need the rain, yet I love to hear the rain fall and hit the windows! My kiddos are giving me some issues with school today, but I keep telling myself that once we get back in the routine of doing it, it will go much smoother. Oh how I pray that is true! My baby girl, Aly, is trying to learn to walk. She is so cute as she pushes her walk-behind toy forward and then tries to move her little legs forward as well. She is almost 15 months old, yet is still trying to reach that milestone. She will get it in her own time :) My chickens are loving the bogs that seem to be constantly surfacing with all the rain and are scratching and pecking to their hearts content. My dogs are lying at my feet, sleeping the afternoon away. I'm trying to find the energy to start dinner, as hopefully my hubby will be heading home from work in the next couple of hours. I had gotten use to him being home with us. Due to my surgery, he had been off since the 30th of August! We now have to adjust to him working loooooooong days again. He leaves the house at 5 in the morning and won't be home until between 5 and 6 in the evening. It wouldn't be so bad if he got paid for as many hours he has to put in, but alas, we are thankful he has a job, considering how hard the economy is right now.

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/

Edited by - hudsonsinaf on Sep 22 2014 12:48:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  7:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Peggy
Less is more about the case if you know what I mean. Lawyers check all the social medias and gather info. Nice porchie book!
I haven't done any swaps except the tea swap. When they are good they are good and when they aren't enough said! Shannon and I had a good yellow swap once!

Shannon
Be careful to not overdo it. Easier said than done when you are a mommy! Did Aly ever get a diagnosis? Is she eating ok? Good she's walking. Soon you'll be chasing her all over. I remember when my hubby worked 7 d a week and long hours. Felt like I was the only one here and doing everything and I was. Exhausting but rewarding too.

Still didn't capture the state trooper's killer. Schools still closed. Roads blocked. What is happening in this world? We need God desperately.

Weather is fall like and I love it. Sweaters, boots, pumpkins and apple cider!

Sweet Dreams.

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2959 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2959 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  09:47:10 AM  Show Profile
Wow, everyone is so busy - including me! I can't believe how much I had to read to catch up on the porch. I don't know where time is going.

Thanks for the tea Bunny - it smells wonderful! The flower is adorable - now just have to decide where to put it. I'm thinking it'll look good on a new apron. I wish I had some extra money to spend on some of your clothes. I loved the sweater too! And the jacket is too cute. I love your work!

Prayers to all of you who need them.

Sorry, just not enough time to post to all of you individually. I've got a big box of apples waiting to be canned into pie filling (for Christmas gifts) and a bunch of cows that really could use a new farm by winter. So, I need to get back to searching the internet for some farm listings (doesn't look like the one we're trying for in ND is going to work out) and then get the canner out.

Hope everyone has a great week.
Hugs,

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  12:37:31 PM  Show Profile
Darlene - I so enjoyed our yellow swap!!!! I understand what you mean about the swaps though :/ There are a few that I have never received anything in return. With that said, I love that they "make" me sit down and make things! Sometimes I need that "extra push." As far as over-doing it, hehehehe... ummmm yeah..... I'll leave that one alone ;) Aly has never been diagnosed with anything. We are taking her to developmental peds on Thursday to see if they have any thoughts. She still is not gaining weight very well and she doesn't like to use her left leg, though her muscle strength seems the same in both. I'm starting to wonder if it is something with her hips. When she crawls, she sits on her bum, puts her right leg out, and digs that heel into the floor to pull herself forward. When she stands, she stands on her right foot and then drags her left leg and foot up. When she walks, she steps with her right foot and then drags her left. I just don't know! I totally understand feeling like you are doing everything... in fact, I've said I feel like a single mom. But that is the military! Only a couple more years :)

Peggy - I agree with Darlene about the less said, the better! It amazes me how nothing is private, and they twist things as well :/

Heather - We have not gone apple picking yet this year. I'm hoping maybe we can do it this weekend. I was given a bshel of pears, however, so I am in the process of making pear sauce. It is something new for us :) I seasoned a large pan with 2T cinnamon, 1t cloves, and 1t allspice. It is pretty yummy :) How fun to look for a new farm! I didn't realize you were looking to move out west. You could join us in the northeast part of Wyoming :D That is where we plan to move in just a couple years :)

Well the weather here is lovely temperature-wise, though cloudy and rainy. I love being able to have my windows open!!! It is not very many months that we can do that, it seems. So we are enjoying it while we can :) Unfortunately, my 5 yo, Sammi is sick :( She normally does not feel well when storms are in the area, due to her JRA (junior rheumatoid arthritis), and often complains her stomach hurts, but this time she is actually sick :( The other kiddos got their school done on time, so are being silly here in the living room, since they cannot run outside. I'm thinking tonight is a good night for some meatloaf, mashed potatoes, broccoli and cherry pie for dessert. Now to just get it all made ;)

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  10:27:26 PM  Show Profile
Just jumping onto the porch for a minute to thank Bunny for the wonderful tea..sounds yummy, and for the flower (so sweet).
My youngest birth sister arrived from CA on Thursday (a day early to surprise me). She and her DH are spending a over a week with us! This is her first trip to Iowa since several of us were adopted out in the early 50's. My 3rd visit with her. I am taking her to meet two other of our birth sisters on Thursday. They are all so excited; and, I am so happy for all of them and all of us. DH is being a dear and running us all over the state to visit memories.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  5:14:11 PM  Show Profile
Sure is quiet here on the porch today! We've had a quiet relaxed day here as well. I didn't get anything accomplished other than school with the kids and harvesting basil, but my oh my was it lovely! I actually got to have my windows open and wore socks :) That is a big thing for me! I LOVE warm fuzzy socks, but it doesn't get cool enough here usually to wear them too often! I've been trying to figure out what to plant in my garden for the Fall. I've never replanted for the Fall season, but really what to give it a whirl. We are looking at apple picking in the near future. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do with all of them, seeing I still have apple pie jam, apple pie filling, applesauce, apple butter, and dried apples. I'll have to see what else I can come up with! Well, off to try to finish a project or two. Have a glorious night!

Judith - I pray your time with your birth family is memorable in the best possible ways!!!!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  6:01:49 PM  Show Profile
Good evening, ladies. I read through page 474's posts to catch up.

I'm remaining in prayer about the court case, the officer's killer and the community, and health concerns.

I'm now just sittin' here on the porch swing swingin' my feet back and forth.....watching y'all drink your yummy tea!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2014 :  2:13:59 PM  Show Profile

Hi My Porchies...

I have had so many frustrations the last few nights trying to post this picture...for Judy and the rest who were interested in seeing
how I did it. For some reason I got it to post today.

Judy...I just used Modge Podge Glue over the entire Jar, then attached
the leaves...(let them dry a bit) and then glue them all again.
Hope the Holidays will not be too painful for you and Patsy and your Hubbies. Praying for you guys...but wish I could take your pain and loss away.

Catherine...I am so impressed that your read all those back posts on The Porch. Wow...I usually just suggest people read 2 or 3 pages back
to and jump right in. So, wow girl...pats on the back to you!! (+:
And I appreciate the prayers.

Sorry, girls need to go...hope to come back later and chat longer.

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 26 2014 2:40:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2014 :  07:32:01 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies. I hope all is well with all y'all. I'm sipping my second cup of coffee on the porch this morning.

@Peggy...You're giving me way too much credit for reading more posts than I did. I only read the posts on page 474 not 474 posts. lol!

I'll be outside doing some fall vegetable planting today.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2014 :  5:22:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi my sweet ladies,
It has been a very busy week and I finally have some time to just relax. It has been beautiful fall weather here this week. I of course just love this time of year.

Bunny I got your tea and sweet things in the mail. Can't wait to try it.

Peggy love the journal. That is so darn cute.

Judy how are you doing? You and Patsy? Keeping yall in my prayers.

My poor Jax misses Shadow so much. So we decided to get another golden retriever and we found some very cute and lovable pups. We get to bring one home in about 10 days. I was so worried about my Jax. He has been grieving his loss. I am hoping having a new friend will help. He doesn't know what to do by himself. Bless his sweet little heart.

My boys were at a 4-h show today. So I hopped my mama butterfly wings in the car with hubby at 4 this morning so we could see them show at 7:30 this morning. It was fun. I made it this am without my tea so hubby stopped at Barnes and Noble and I did a bit of shopping and hit the café for some pumpkin spice tea. Yum!

well I am going to curl on couch with Jax and hubby and watch some football.

love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Whispers of Morning
http://todayanewday.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2014 :  10:09:44 AM  Show Profile
Morning everybody! Thought I'd jump on while I have a minute. It's been a busy weekend. I started redoing the table and chairs I bought 2 weeks ago for $10. I decided i didn't want a solid white chair but didn't like the blond wood seats so did a lot of reading and found you can use a poly stain over faux wood. It's hard to see the difference in the before and after pictures but there's a HUGE difference in color. I just put a second coat of the poly stain on. M* is quite impressed especially since he kept telling me it wouldn't work lol. I'll paint the rest of the chairs antique white next weekend.

We went to a rodeo last night. Indoor rodeos to me are sort of weird. I prefer the outdoor ones where you can stand by the fence and get into it a bit more. One guy at the end go thrown from a bull and I think as he was flying off headbutted the bull and he was knocked out cold. He was carried off on a backboard but they announced that the ambulance hadn't left and he was sitting up talking to them so he thankfully was okay. It was an interesting night though, it was like the bucking broncos and bulls wanted to strut their stuff. They had 2 horses open the chutes and strut around the ring. They had problems getting them to leave the ring too. Several of the bulls didn't want to be taken back out of the ring either. All of them seemed to want to prance around saying "See, aren't I an awesome specimen" LOL.

Darlene - Yes, Walmart is paying well. The finally upped the pay about 3 months ago for associates. The pay went from $8.60 to $10.20 and they still can't get people so they just jumped it to $12.20.

Peggy - beautiful Porchie keepsake. What a wonderful gift. I love the Jar candle. I may try one.

Judy- I would think The Amish Cook books should be in the library. If amazingly they don't have they can probably do an intralibrary loan for you. I think I've got 3 of her books now and find them interesting to read. I've been picking them up used on Amazon.

Well I best be getting back to staining. I prepped the table to stain the wood and now need to tape around the tile to protect them and put my first coat of stain on. I need a bigger mud room if I'm going to be doing this much LOL

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2014 :  2:00:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals,
Peggy, I like the candle. It sounds pretty easy to do too. Thanks for posting that pic. Somebody else asked if they were real leaves. They look like it. Are they?
PGTammy, I have a mud room too, and you are right, it's just not big 'nuff, but glad to have it anyhow. Hubby and I both use it a lot. A sink in an off-kitchen area, coming in from outside/basement entrance is a blessing if you have messy men or boys(is there a difference between those 2) hahaha. I think I would like those books. Gonna go look them up this week. We were suppose to go to a bull-riding event last night at a fair, but my back was acting up yesterday so we didn't. I really enjoy rodeo events. I don't like to see them get hurt but hubby always roots for the bulls. He's a nut. Not normal at all.
Holidays are going to be rough this year. Hubby works Thanksgiving and New Year. I may have to go to another relative's house. I have some in the area. If we don't have a blizzard that is.
We are having warm temps lately. 80's and high 70's. Leaves are starting to change though. We had a huge maple topped and trimmed up this week so that we actually have sun coming in our south windows now. Took the 2 guys that did it 2 days. It's actually 4 trees grown together and about 70 ft tall. The guys have been here before. Nice guys. We find the nicest workers to do these jobs for us. We are lucky, I've heard some horror stories from other people.
Well that's it for this chicky for now.
Have a Blessed SonDay!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2014 :  10:28:34 AM  Show Profile
Thought I'd jump on really quick on my lunch break and post before I forgot to. I was listening/watching Netflix while working this morning and watched Finding Normal. I think several of you might enjoy it. Chic flick - woman doctor gets caught speeding as she's rushing from LA to the Hamptons and gets forced to do community service in a small rural town for outstanding parking tickets.

Hope everybody is having a great day. It's overcast and gray today and making me feel blah lol. Leaves are turning and starting to fall though so a little bit of color. There aren't a lot of trees around here so I don't get the beautiful forest full of turning leaves scenes any more. Might have to take a trip to MN to get my fix.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2014 :  12:42:02 PM  Show Profile

Here are a couple of Jean Pocket Decorations I made. These are a very fun and simple way to use The Decorator Pockets
on worn-out Jeans. If I see a friend with cool pockets on her Jeans (or his) I ask that they keep them for me when
the Jeans wear out. The Pocket on the right side...I made for a friend who wanted a Pocket to hold her cell phone
while it was charging at night. So, i just left a small slit at the bottom for the Cord to hang out of. The other
pocket on the Left was a fun one to fill with note pads, pens, chocolate candy etc. And once the things in it are used
up you can add dried flowers to the pocket and leave it hanging on your wall.

Good Afternoon My Porchies...

Catherine...I am so relieved to hear that you didn't read all those pages of Porch Posts. I thought...oh, my gosh,
now here is an Inquiring Mind!! LOL

Hi Judith...we wish you would come jump onto the Porch more often girl. We miss chatting with you.

Darlene and Shannon...you are both right about the Trial...Less is More. It is hard for me to talk about because
it is so Scary...and like I said, I only shared because some of you asked. Plus I don't want people believing
the News Media Hype...about my Step-Son bottling and selling house hold bleach. God is in Control...and there
are lessons to be learned from everything...but this is so huge...I have to implicitly entrust this whole mess to
The Lord.

Teacher Tammy...oh, I hope Jax loves his new playmate!!! Can't wait to see pictures of this pup. ~ Oh, I didn't know
you loved football too! I am a huge fan. Even though I was so busy this weekend I didn't get to even watch one
game. )+: It was a weekend that I was on the go 24/7 until 9:30 last night. Church was great yesterday!!! Then my
DIL had me over for Grandmama time with Grandson...since I will be headed for the Coast on Thursday for our Ladies
Bible Study Retreat. I am so looking forward to this. I needed a bit of Refreshing and Rejuvenating...that I can only
get at The Beach.

Judy...I emailed you about the leaves. Yes, these were real ones (don't use crispy leaves though). But I think Fall
Silk Leaves might work better. Not sure! Will try to make a larger one and see...which I think is easier.

Prairie Tammy...I can really tell that the Polly Stain darkened and brought out the wood-grain nicely!!! You are
going to have a Table/Chair set that you will love and use for years to come. ~ I will also have to check out those
Cookbooks and the Netflix Show. Thanks for sharing that.

The Rodeo sounded like fun...even though it was inside and the Bulls and Horses where showing off!!! LOL
I don't like to see people get hurt either.

One time when I took my step-daughter to Holiday on Ice...(we had fabulous seats too) but this male skater
grabbed his female partner by the ankles and was spinning her above the ice...when he got her too low and
cracked her head on the ice. It sounded like a ripe melon splitting open and it sprayed the ice with bright
red blood. We were all so horrified (and it happened right by Jenn and Me)...that it was hard to keep in our
seats and watch the rest of the show. They did close the show down for about 20 minutes...to get her off the
Ice and to clean the ice. It turned out she had a slight concussion and needed stitches...which was bad
enough...but you know how head wounds bleed...we thought it was going to be so much worse.

OK...Ladies, off to do some FaceBooking and then start making some Home-made soup...as we have a couple of
days of rain and cool weather to contend with.

Hugs and Joy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 30 2014 3:05:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2014 :  5:24:28 PM  Show Profile
PGTammy, I saw that movie. Excellent chic-flic. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I went to the library and ordered The Amish Cook from another library. There's only one, correct? um...by, last name Colblentz? That's all she could find. Then she found another Amish Cooking Across America by Ferguson. Are there more?
Peggy, cute pockets. You come up with such cute ideas for stuff.
Patsy and Jim are camping again at a place near their home. I never saw 2 people who like to camp as those 2 do. It's the last week of camping season there so they are going to enjoy some boating and fishing. Watch them get sick again. hahaha
Well, I have laundry to fold. Later 'chickies.'

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2014 :  7:17:39 PM  Show Profile
Judy - I hope you enjoy the books! I'm not sure how many cookbooks/books they did, I'd say over a dozen total. Elizabeth Colblentz was the mother that started it and after her death her daughter Lovina Eicher took over. Amish Cooking Across America was written by Lovina. She writes much like her mother did but her daily schedule was a lot different as she had young children at home. Kevin Williams was the editor for the newspaper and also helped with the cookbooks. When I was checking on Amazon I discovered at DVD called The Amish Cook. The one rating for it was horrible though. I'm curious about how they got around the rule of not allowing their image to be taken. They might have just done pictures of rooms and not of the people. I did come across this article tonight from the NY Times regarding Lovina. http://tinyurl.com/nqepam2 I have been reading the Amish365.com blog and getting the emails for a month or so. I hadn't associated the name until I read the article and saw the website listed. I've had concerns about the website as most of it seems to be Williams begging for money and his new method is a special pay section. I do enjoy the photos and recipes though. If he wasn't being fair with Elizabeth and Lovina I may have to rethink supporting his site. Granted there were a lot of factors like Williams having to type all her articles after he got them in the mail in the computer and make them understandable so there was extra work on his part due to their Amish belief limitations. Unfortunately too many over the years have treated the Amish wrongly.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  12:37:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies. I hope everyone is having a great day.

I'm gonna watch the movie Tammy suggested. I also listen/watch movies while working around the house or deep cleaning the kitchen. It serves as a distraction from drudgery and I also stay productive instead of sitting for 2 hours.

Peggy, I love your pocket decorations. So cute.

Tammy, the chair looks wonderful. Good result for your hard work.

I'm feeling kinda low today. I was wondering why and then I realized that tomorrow is the year anniversary of my mom's first stroke. It's interesting how our bodies remember and know things.

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  1:43:49 PM  Show Profile
Good Afternoon everyone.

Peggy, cute little jean pockets! Have fun at the ocean.

PRTammy, I just may look for that movie too. Went to see The Box Trolls last night. Very cute. Kinda scary though for young ones.

Judy, Sounds like Patsy and Jim need flue shots or something to keep them from getting sick. Hope you are doing well.

Tea Tammy, so sad about Shadow and Jax. I'm sure a new puppy will put Jax back on track. We will need to see pictures of course.

Catherine, sorry about your mom. Hang in there and do something nice for your self.

I have been busy thankfully. I had a custom order for two dresses from the lady's grandma's ghastly polyester pantsuits. I did it though and they came out really cute. Here are the pixs. The pantsuit material is the two polka dot fabrics.

She sent four men's shirts and the pantsuits. I just charged for labor.

I have a bunch of other outfits done. I did sell a sweater dress and another dress this morning to the same person. It is so nice to hear that "chaching" sound on my phone!

I have decided to pursue applying for disability. It was a hard decision to make. But I have been feeling really lousy lately. I have only been able to sew for 1.5 to 3 hrs a day. I just get to tired and in too much pain after that. Now I'm just trying to get my Drs on board documenting everything. I know this is going to take a long time.

Anyway, hope everyone is well and staying out of trouble!!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  5:21:04 PM  Show Profile
Hey Bunny.........belatedly, thanx for the tea! Cute outfits!

Oh and I think I forgot to tell Cherime thanx too!

Geesh,, not much action on the porch lately.......no fun lurking when there isn't anyone around.

Bet Peggy is having fun at the beach!

PGTammy....your table and chairs are a great find and you did a fine job redoing the finish!

Shannon...hope you are healing well...you seem to be over working...take time for yourself NOW so as not to be more ill later, kiddo!

Sending good thoughts to all our porchies....even if I didn't mention you by name! Off to watch Thursday Night Football...have to say 'GO Vikings' on this one!

And Judy and Patsy....you are often on my mind....hope your grieving is easing....you know Mama is watching over you and wants you to be at peace. I'll continue praying for you and your family.

My best to all,
Mel
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!

Edited by - Kirksmom71 on Oct 02 2014 5:25:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  5:25:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi guys! Just popping in to say a quick "hello." Mel - you might not want to read this.... but we went apple picking last weekend, so I have been canning apples in multiple ways. Anyone have a suggestion of what to do for "sand pears" as far as canning them? I already have 12 quarts of pear sauce. Friends gave us another half bushel. Eeeks - there is the baby wanting to eat - gonna run. Have a good one!!!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page