Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  09:57:01 AM  Show Profile
So nice to see some new farmgirls on the porch.
My iPad has not been liking MJ and I have not been able to sign on to post. Finally got it to work.
I'm so ready for school to be done! For good! Still don't have a job though. I applied at the college again with not even an interview. Same thing for a local church. The church job would have been perfect. But I didn't even get an interview. I went to see the career counseler at the college yesterday and we redid my résumé and cover letter. At least when school is done I'll have more time to work on my Etsy store. No sales lately but lots of lookie loos.

Prairie Tammy, love the spinning wheel! Have you looked for a guild in the area?

Well, today is a hard homework day and I better cut this short and get to work.

Later all!!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  12:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi PorchBuds,
Well, all 5 of Patsy's kids made it home for Mama's funeral. We had a very, very relaxed and spiritual time together the whole week.(a week already? Amazing!) Having them all here has made it so light and digestible. After they are all gone at the end of the month I may need the Bereavement Center that contacted me, but we shall see. I do have my PorchBuds to lean on don't I? So we took the weekend to let the kids take anything they wanted after they asked Patsy or I if we wanted it. We even had the youngest nephew do the auctioneer thing and hold things up and we all said pass or dibs. We laughed a lot during that and it was fun. Mama would have laughed at us too. Then we'd cry together and that was ok too. Her cat turned 13 today but unfortunately he isn't taking Mama's absence very well. We have decided to put him down and have an appointment tomorrow at 5pm. Prayers please! He was a very loving companion for her but nobody wants a sad cat who may die soon on his own from pining. We decided that giving him to an elderly person at the nursing home probably would be bad idea. Either of them could die and what then? *sigh* No...this is best. Gonna be sad though.
That's all for now. Happy to see new faces on the porch. *hands ya'll a cuppa* Welcome!
Later Gators!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  12:06:14 PM  Show Profile
Did I hear COLD ICE TEA anyone??? Hot here today so I'm running for the porch! gosh, hopped on & now you can't get rid of me! LOL
Having a break.....gosh, where did the morning go to? I'm thinking, dreaming & trying to ignore the left over green beans! They're giving the evil eye right....calling my name.....anyone want some....giggle

Shannon, you'll get your farm some day & it will surely be worth the wait! Your kiddos will love it! I don't know about living the farm dream though.....I usually say I live in a zoo that's gone terribly wrong!!!! If some critter isn't wanting a bottle or feed & believe me they let us know big time or the other ones are out at the most crazy time.....like the time my city sister came to visit who hates ANYTHING to do with animals, bugs or farm life in general had to run around her car followed by our pet lamb. What a scene.....the faster she ran the more Buddy the lamb thought it was a game & kept right up to her! giggle!!!!!! Just rolling with the curves & MOSTLY loving it ......but.....the whole place could be up for sale the next bad day! LOL

Tammy, wow, what a price! Sounds like some serious work for repairs on your part. It looks like it could be in a decorating magazine! You've certainly got my interest!
Oh, I truly hate how the companies cut trees! They more butcher than trim!

Sara, sure hope you'll feel better tomorrow! Hugs!

Now Red, honestly I won't care if it was a note written on toilet paper....it's a surprise & it's from you with a hug! What could be better!!!!!!
YOu made hubby laugh soooo hard thinking that the world needs more of us 2.....he says the world's got enough problems!!!!!! LOL

Never & I mean NEVER go to the clothesline with your nightie on, hair heading in every direction possible & gum boots on just because you live in the middle of the boonies & who is going to see you!!!!!!! Wise choice........NOT SO MUCH!!!!
It's first thing in the morning so I thought I'd just slip outside to hang a basket of clothes to get a early start. I'm out there doing my on thing..usually singing away (there's not a signing group in the world that would want this talent!!!!!! LOL) & adding up the to do list for the day. i heard something kind of behind me but just thought it was a calf that slipped through the fence & was in the trees so of course kept hanging clothes. this woman's on a mission!!!!!!!! I was taught "finish the job"!!!!!!! Out of the corner of my eye I see something black so now i know it's a calf......my eagle eyes are working over time!!!!! I even take the time to straighten out the line to make it look really prettttttttty! I'm slowly heading back to the house checking the flower beds & basically wasting time to avoid canning green beans. giggle Then I heard it......a weird sniffle....yep, I'm sticking to the word sniffle.....I turned thinking that's it's hubby being ooooooooh sooooo funny! But nope it's a black bear!!!!!!!
Now, I know ALL the national park booklets they hand out. say.........DON'T RUN! Drop & roll into a ball & cover your head for protection! Who ever came up with the info forget to tell people like me that you're going to be tooooo scared to drop, roll & whatever else!
Of course I just about peed my pants in this whole thing!!!!!!!! I swear I looked at that back door, the bear looked at the back door & this farm girl would have won the world's record on the short distance speed track!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness Izzy, our little wiener dog wasn't outside......she would have gotten eaten, then I would have got eaten trying to save her & that black bear would have had to go on a diet!!!!!!!! I slammed the door, as Ms/Mr? Bear went around the house, shop etc.
We were told about the SK black bears but they're sooooo shy quite rare that we just shrugged it off! First DUMB mistake!!!!!! They're about the size of a med-large dog & have long black fur with brown/reddish tips. Not that I was standing there getting a good look or anything! Not any where the size of mountain black bears. Ok, that's a big comfort while I'm runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnning!
Now, not that i'm complaining but when men, MOSTLY my hubby says.....not to worry, it's gone! or it's more afraid of you than you are of it!!!!!!!!!!! I'm NOT believing them!!!!!!!
Those were the DRIEST clothes in the history of clothes line drying!!!!!!!!! They stayed out there for 2 days just looking real prettttttttttttty!
While hubby was trying desperately to catch his breath from his laughing fit, he mentioned he was putting life insurance on me!!!!!! What a loving guy!!!!!!!!!!!! He stop laughing when he had to stay beside Izzy while she did her business outside......EVERY time....that wore off fast!
Heard on Sunday that someone spotted it about 20 minutes away in their yard. To all who read this.....AVOID any advise from me & bears.....listen to the national park guys! LOL
Yep, now i can say that this crazy Canadian farm girl really does live in a zoo.....bear act & ALL!!!!!!
You just to LOVE life!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hugs Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  12:17:49 PM  Show Profile
Girlies, I think we have another comic relief in our midst....and a "Judy too" no less! Lovin' it!!!
Thanks for the giggles. You are a true treasure, 'Treasure Judy!'(my new name for you)

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  12:54:35 PM  Show Profile
OH MY LANTA! That is hysterical Judy! I was seriously cracking up with tears rolling down my face!!!!!! I learned some time ago not to go outside "indecently" dressed ;) Since we are sharing stories, I guess I should share mine....

We have a german shepherd, named Zoey that will be 2 the end of October. About a year ago, she decided around 11 that she needed to go to the bathroom. Since it was so late, I figured I would be safe letting her out into our fenced (6 foot) backyard in our subdivision, in my nightgown. I let her out, and she proceeded to bark. Not thinking much of it, I told her "all done," and walked out towards her. At that point, my neighbor behind us, yell's "hi Shannon" and flips on the light over his pool. He is standing on a ladder, trimming his palm tree, right next to our fence!!!!! What man in his right mind trims their trees at night!?!? I about died on the spot! I have never been so embarrassed and I will not even let the dogs out now - my hubby has to :D

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  8:56:42 PM  Show Profile
OMGosh...loving these funny stories.
I forgot to tell yuns that we played 'Boot Scootin Boogie' at the calling hours and Patsy, my youngest nephew and I danced and told the rest of the people to do the same if they couldn't keep their feet still. 'Mama wouldn't want you to be sad' I told them. She would get up and twist any time a good boogie came on the radio, I told them. She loved to dance. Then I kissed her on the forehead and said, 'That song was for you Mama!'We also played 3 of Hank Williams Sr. gospel songs because she loved them too. When they played 'I Saw the Light' it got so quiet and we heard everyone start singing and harmonizing softly and the hair on my arms stood up. It was so beautiful.
Just wanted you to know that it is ok to think outside the box....even for funerals.

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  05:35:22 AM  Show Profile
Judy - what an incredible tribute to your mom! I love that it was more like a celebration of her going Home to Glory, than a time of not knowing that you'll ever see her again. When my cousin passed, it certainly was not that upbeat, but there was definitely times of laughter in our remembering! Continuing to pray for all of you!!!! You are an inspiration!

I am excited for today.... after the rain gave us a free pond in our backyard, we are hoping the sunshine will bless us with a dry yard today. My poor kiddos want to RUN and quite honestly, I think they need to do so, to get rid of some of the excess energy! My poor chickens must be thinking we are trying to turn them into ducks! They have at least been still laying eggs, though not as many. (we were getting 5 a day from the 6 chickens... the last few days we have been down to 3). We have one silly chicken that refuses to use the nesting boxes!!! She always lays over next to the water container in the run! Silly silly chicken!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  09:08:49 AM  Show Profile
Judy, what a great way you, Pasty & your family said goodbye to your Mamma!
Thinking outside the box is PERFECT!

Shannon, hope the weather is drying up & kiddos are outside today! How's the "ducks" doing?

Canning, canning & you guessed it canning today & roasting off a turkey to make pies with. Meat pies are a great way to use up the garden veggies. Other than that not a new thing in sight! Anyone for a pot of tea????
Hugs Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  10:35:38 AM  Show Profile
Judy OH, sorry to hear of your loss. I got my road trip done and it was a gas. Anyway, it's now money time and I can go get some tea for tea swap. Just in case, will someone email me an updated list? I wouldn't want to leave anyone off.
The bear story Judy SC is a good one. I drove down the Cassiar in Canada and saw 6 black bears and one grizzly cub. Of course I did not try to get pictures of that cub. I got out of there ASAP.

Blog http://cherimemacfarlane.wordpress.com
Cherime
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  10:51:27 AM  Show Profile
tea swap? may i get more info? We are super close to the Charleston Tea Plantation....

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  11:12:51 AM  Show Profile
That sounds interesting Shannon.

Blog http://cherimemacfarlane.wordpress.com
Cherime
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  2:40:35 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for all the well wishes to our room mate, ladies! Sorry it's been a few days. Work has been busy and I have been busy....

I had two job interviews this morning, and already got a call back to come in for a second interview from one company. I wasn't expecting ANYTHING until next week, so keep yer fingers and toes crossed, and pray if you are so inclined!

The roosters are getting used to me. Being Catalana, they don't like people much anyway, but if I take them fruit or veggie scraps, they seem to appreciate it. Meshach even ALMOST came up to me when I brought him zucchini scraps this morning.

Other than that, I am dragging my own tail feathers!! It's been SUCH a busy day! Running here, running there, and on about 6 1/2 hours of sleep at that! We were in the city last night, which we don't normally do, but some dear friends of ours came up from Houston whom we haven't seen in abut 2 1/2 or 3 years. It must have been a sight for sore eyes at one point... the window in the living room of their hotel suite overlooked the Congress Avenue bridge, and they have never seen the famous Austin bats.... so, there on the couch were our friend John, his daughter Jennie, me, and his wife Margie... the grown ups on their knees with hineys in the air, and when the bats finally showed, John was almost more excited than his 4 year old.

(and that's about the time that my husband came back from his smoke break outside and walked in to see all of us, buns up.... haha!)

Well, I'm going to try to get some work done on paper goods tonight, and I will try to get pictures out, soon! I have the store open, but still don't have anything posted.

BUT for now, it's back to work as it's starting to pick up again.

Hope everyone is well, and will talk to you all again, soon!

Miranda

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Thrall, TX

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2994 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2994 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  6:49:05 PM  Show Profile
Love the stories from both Judy's. I don't think I would remember to stop and drop either if I were to encounter a bear. In Mary Jane's idea book she shares a story that she didn't either - she ran. And I agree about momma - she wouldn't want everyone to be sad. What a wonderful thing you did Judy!

Here's a little funny story from the farm. We finally had a few more heifers born. They're quite the bunch. The first one of the group we named Princess Ionia (hubby was really happy to have a heifer and was spoiling her). Anyway, she was born in the evening. The next morning we go out to do the chores and her Mom (Irisha) is standing at the gate and princess is no where to be found!!!! Some how she got out, went around the barn and was between the wood shop and wood pile sleeping. We put her in a calf hutch with a chain and collar. After morning chores we went to get our fertilizer for the hayfield. When we get back I notice there's a calf in my flower bed! She broke the chain and got loose again! We're going to have our hands full with her if she keeps this up.

We've had a lot of rain and really cool temps so our sorgum/sudan grass isn't doing very well. We made first cutting and put more fertilizer on this week so hopefully it'll do better. But, we got 3.3 inches of rain the other day and it's only been in the 70's. It's been a really weird year weather wise. It makes me think we're going to have another really cold winter.

My nephew took his sheep to the fair a couple weeks ago. They didn't do very well, but he won rate of gain with one of them. My husband helped him with his veterinary science project and it was selected for the state fair!! He also won the overall science award for 12-18 year old. That was pretty wonderful we thought since he's so young (he just turned 13, but his project age was 12). His sister starts kindergarden Friday. I can't believe how grown up they are!

We sold 2 bull calves to the owners of the airport café (my hubby's favorite place to eat) and we went and watched the one show at a different county fair. It got second in it's class. They didn't show the second one.

I've been trying to do some crocheting for Christmas, but I've not gotten very far. We only have 3 cows not milking so we don't get in until late now. Most nights it's after 9. By the time we shower, cook and eat supper, there's not much time for anything else. Now that the fairs are over and hay is made the only thing left is manure hauling (once it dries out) then I will hopefully have some time in the middle of the day. There's only 133 days left!

Well, I better post this before the internet fairy gets hungry and eats it :) Help yourselves to some chocolate cake with chocolate chips on top rather than frosting. It goes great with a big glass of milk!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2994 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2994 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  6:59:59 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention I put some new pictures on my blog - my last post was snow!!! Check it out if you'd like.

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  9:53:37 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I'm so glad everyone was able to be there for the celebration of your momma's life.

Judy too, I love the bear story! No way I would have stuck around on the ground playing possum.

I got three dresses almost finished the other day. Just need some appliqué on one and some pockets on the other.
I got an order from Australia this morning and it looks like three custom jobs on the way. A lady wants me to take two pantsuits that were her grandmothers and make them into dresses for her and her sister. Then another customer wants one of my jackets. I had a bit of a dry spell and was getting worried.
School will be over soon and I can't wait to get back to my sewing room.

Nite all!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2014 :  09:22:34 AM  Show Profile
Cherime - he Charleston Tea Plantation is a super wonderful place to visit!!! It was the first tea plantation in North America, as the heat and humidity here makes it favorable to grow tea. There is a free tour that allows you to see the tea being processed, be it for green or black tea, and all the tea you want to drink, in some lovely flavors. There is also a trolley tour (not free) that takes you around the plantation, explaining the various tea plants, the greenhouse (which you can walk in and check out the baby plants, etc. I have a blog post with pictures from a couple years back.... http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/2013/03/charleston-tea-plantation.html

Miranda - Oh how exciting to already be called for a second interview! I am thrilled for you! Praying you get one of the two jobs you are trying for!

Heather - Princess Ionia sounds like a trip! Perhaps she should have been named Princess Houdini ;) Good on you for starting Christmas presents!!!!!!! I am so overwhelmed with life right now, that I have given up on even planning!!!

Bunny - that is super awesome that you have more "jobs"!!!

Life here is horrendous! I have a ton of anxiety with my surgery coming up! My middle doctor is now sick. And one of our six chickens got herself pecked really badly and her head is now bleeding really bad, so we are trying to handle that before we leave this weekend for my pre-op appointment. Life is so stressful;!!!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2014 :  11:46:55 AM  Show Profile
hello porchies,
So nice to read all the stories.
Judy been praying for you and family. Sorry about the cat.

Bunny so glad to see you. I know school keeps you busy.

I am ready for my little butterflies. I have my classroom ready for 22 little butterflies. We begin school on Tuesday. My hubby and sons began this week. I have to admit it was a bit sad for me as I watched my twins begin their senior year. It was a moment that I won't forget. Their last "first" day. We have been trying to finish up senior pictures...but still have some to get done yet.

Other than that I am just enjoying my last few days off.
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Whispers of Morning
http://todayanewday.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2014 :  11:55:53 AM  Show Profile
Miranda, sending you lots of good thoughts for your interview!!

Tammy, I hope this year goes better for you and your butterflies. Watching kids grow up and know they will be leaving soon is soo hard! Enjoy their senior year with them.

Heather, I have another friend on MaryJanes that has animals that are very adept at escaping. She has now put some kind of gps on her cow so she can track her down when she gets away. She is forever chasing pigs down because they are very good at figuring out how to get out.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2014 :  10:13:24 PM  Show Profile
OH My Goodness My Porchies...Brian and His IT Guy still can't figure out why I am getting non of the MJF Posts.

But here I am again tonight...really loving all The Porch Chatter and Stories!!!

My Country Treasure Judy...I knew the girls would love to hear that Bear Story...and I loved it all over again
too. I have to agree with you and others...I would so forget to drop and roll...I would RUN for The Hills and
Pray All The Way...that I got there before the Bear did. LOL

Judy...I am so Happy that your Mama's Funeral was a Special Memorial and Sharing Time with Family.
And I loved how you let one of your nephews be an Auctioneer on distribution of her earthly possessions.
She probably got a big kick out of that...if she was looking down on ya' All. ~ Sorry about her cat but I
think you came to the right decision about NOT letting it mourn itself to death. ~ Continued prayers for
all of you...and especially you and your hubby, after everyone else heads home.
~You and Treasure Judy are two peas in a pod that is for sure!!! You are both such Hoots!

Bunny...I gave a shout out to you twice today as we drove through The Dalles to Biggs Junction to pick up
our Grand-daughter Hallie. She is from Spokane as you might remember...her mom and a female friend drove and
met us half way with our Sweet Hallie. She is getting ready to turn 15 next month and she is a little quieter
this year as she is maturing into a young woman. ~ Glad to hear about your Special Orders. Very Exciting.
Hope the job hunt pans out or else you just get so busy with Sales that you just can't work anywhere else.

Cherime...Glad you had a good Road Trip! And we are exciting about your Tea Month and can't wait to see what you
come up with for us to try. I will send you the Tea Swap List again.

Shannon and Sara...Every year we have a Tea Swap. In December I will List All Twelve Months and Have People Sign
Up for the 2015 Year. So, only 12 people can sign up...it is a lot of fun. Sorry, this year is already FULL.
The Month you sign up for...you send out to the 11 others who signed up. This is a FUN way to try NEW Teas.
Shannon...keeping your upcoming surgery in our prayers.

Heather...I always love your Farm Stories too and your pictures. Your Princess sounds like she is going to keep
you all hopping!!! Too Funny!!!

Missus Miranda...will be praying that one of those two jobs pans out for you. ~ Can't wait to see your Paper Goods.

Teacher Tammy...I'm with Bunny...ENJOY every minute of your Sons Senior Year. It will go so quickly! I can hardly
believe that my youngest Son had his 10 Year ReUnion This Summer. It seems like he graduated just a few years ago.
Also, glad that you feel energized and ready to take on those New Butterflies. We will be waiting for some cute
stories from Madame Butterfly this year too.

OK My Porchies...time to go spend the remaining few hours with my DH and lovely Grand-daughter.

More later...

Big Hugs and Thanks For Whoever left The Chocolate Cake on the Porch...YUMMO!
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch

Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  08:02:27 AM  Show Profile
Morning, y'all! Tired as I am, I am in a good place at the moment. Have a LOT on my plate, but most of it is good stuff.

I am working with my brother for a fundraiser/benefit he is running in Bastrop, Texas on October 18th. He has me as one of his admins on the Facebook page, and I am running the Twitter page, as well. It is a family event to raise awareness and funds for Military Vets suffering from PTSD. He learned about an Army vet, younger than me, who lost his battle with PTSD and decided to get this started. If anyone is interested in learning more, the event is called Farrin's Run (you can search Facebook for the page, and the twitter page is @farrinsrun).

I also decided to get some flower jars made for the raffle, and might even get a couple of bike photos made into posters if I have the time. I have supplies coming in the mail for the flower jars including a couple of stickers... one Indian motorcycles, one Harley Davidson.

Yesterday, I got home and started some vegetables for roasting - mushrooms, carrots, cherub tomatoes and Brussels sprouts - and I sliced a few tomatoes, a carrot and two sprouts, and took them to the roosters. OOOOOOH They were happy to see me. In fact, Meshach nearly walked right up to me, which is a BIG step. I have learned if I stay around and talk with them a bit, they seem to cautiously enjoy it. Meshach LOVES his food, by the way. Shadrach is a bit more dainty, but still enjoys it. They were waiting for me at the door when I walked up, haha!

Interview is tomorrow... I'm a little nervous, but not really. I am trying not to overthink things so that I don't blow the interview. I have a feeling that's why the first one went so well... it was so unexpected, I didn't have a chance to "prepare". The more I prepare, the worse it goes. I'm just going to have to remember to stay calm and not expect ANYTHING - good OR bad - when I go in.

Well, with everything going on, plus my back nearly going out on Sunday, I haven't done much studying, so I think (while it is quiet) I am going to get to that. I hope everyone has a wonderful Tuesday!

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Thrall, TX

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6814 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6814 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  08:27:16 AM  Show Profile
All you ladies are so busy doing so many different things. I have learned so much from listening to y'all visit back & forth.

Today is trash day so earlier I cleaned out the small bed of Grandma Jones' irises and took a bag of leaves to the curb.

This year most of the leaves went to the curb because of ice storm damage small twigs were mixed in with the leaves. Next year I hope to make leaf mold to be used in beds.

Yesterday 2 stainless steel skillets came from QVC. I am changing out all non-stick cookware for stainless steel. Last month I ordered a stock pot; this month 2 skillets; next month I hope to order 2 pots.

Friday is another trash day so I hope to bundle up twigs and have them ready for pick up. I am thankful for the 2 days of trash pickups. On Tuesday I can put out 6 bags/bundles of twigs. On Friday 6 bags/bundles and 1 big item - no bigger than refrigerator or 6 more bags/bundles. Sure helps me with seasonal cleanup.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2014 :  7:41:28 PM  Show Profile

Just thought these were pretty and wanted to share.

I wish my Blue Funk was a pretty as these blue buttons. LOL I don't know why but I just
kind of feel blah today. Had hubby take Grand-daughter out for awhile. She is great and
I love her dearly but she is his daughters daughter and I just think he should spend some
one on one time with her too. Why I have to do all the entertaining I don't know...but
he was receptive to doing it and I'm happy. Gives me a few moments to breathe and rest.

Had my Lil' Man this morning too for a couple hours while his mama went for an Eye Appointment.
He is so busy but really even more FUN now that he is on the go. He is my little love bug.

I also managed a personal bible study and blogged on it today. So, I did accomplish a few
things. Check out if you wish to... http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

I have decided that I am done gardening for the Season. My tomatoes were good but that is really
all that produced and I'm tired of dragging the two gallon watering can back and forth a zillion
times a week. (OK...slight exaggeration but you understand). And then to have 3 of my gardening
containers not really produce anything at all...was just a waste of water and time. I'm re-thinking
next year. May do one container of tomatoes and flowers in the rest. Not sure. You know how you
feel at the end of a bad growing season...like you never want to do it again...well, I'm there at
the moment.

I can't remember it I mentioned my dog getting bit last week (I'm sure I must of as I tell you girls
everything)...well he just finished his medication today...and he is back to doing his full walk with
me each morning...and his hair is growing back over the wound. So, I do believe we got off very lucky.
The people still have given us no money on the Vet Bill but hopefully they will be responsible and come
through. I don't care if we have to take it in payments to help them out...I just want reembersed.

Well, it is quiet here on The Porch.

Sara....it really feels good to start putting the Yard to bed for fall and winter doesn't it?
Sounds like you have a lot of leaves to contend with. ~ Good for you changing over your non-stick cookware
to stainless steel. My son and his wife have done the same thing. I should too I suppose but haven't
gone that far yet....beyond just thinking about it. My main set of Pans are Stainless Steel
and I have had them for 41 years. But my skillets are all Non-stick.

Missus Miranda...that is a very good fund raiser to run for. I applaud your brother! And everyone else who is
trying to fund raise for PTSD. ~ Talking about your roasted vegetables...you listed Mushrooms first and it
reminded me that last night I was fixing my home-made spaghetti sauce and I usually always put mushrooms in it
but earlier that day my grand-daughter had mentioned that she found out the hard way that she was allergic to them
last spring when she ate some Meat Loaf at the school and it had mushrooms in it and she ended up in emergency
that night. So, thankfully at the very last second I remembered that earlier random conversation. If she hadn't
shared it with me...I wouldn't have known...and she would have been at emergency again.

Well, off to relax and chill while the house is quiet. Maybe read a bit.

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 20 2014 7:46:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6814 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6814 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  05:36:34 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, pretty blue buttons brings back memories of playing in Grandma Jones' button box when I was little. Years later after she was gone we cleaned out her house. One of the things I got was her button box. Some 40 years later I still have some of the buttons.

Today sister Bobbie and I are going to sister Betty's house. Bobbie & Betty are twins and 2 years younger than me. We are going to see Betty's new room off her kitchen to house her 3 chest freezers, canning supplies, and jars & jars of canned veggies, fruit, and meat.

Bobbie lives less than a mile from me and Betty about a 30 min. drive to her farm. We will have lunch at a Mexican place there in the little town.

There are wild roses growing on her front fence line. I have thought about taking cuttings and see if I can root them. A woman I know starts old roses all the time from 'rustled cuttings'. She uses the 'shotgun' method. You take all the cuttings you can and hope one will make it.

Somewhere I have the rules for 'rose rustling'. I'll see if I can find it and if I do I will post it in the appropriate place.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  05:40:25 AM  Show Profile
Sara - I've had good luck starting "old" roses by digging a trench beside the existing plant and burying a branch until it takes root on its own - called "layering". Might want to give it a try! I've also done this with forsythia and it works well with that too.

Busy around here again - more changes at work. Guess that's to keep me on my toes!

Could use some farmgirl advice if anybody has any. My boyfriend has been told he is pre-diabetic and is to go on a low carb diet. I've been trying to set up meal plans for him, but with low carbs (he's also on a low sodium regimen) he is starving all the time. He is a big man with a big appetite, and trying to stuff him with veggies just isn't cutting it.

Hugs!
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

My blog: finallyafarmgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6814 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6814 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  06:14:24 AM  Show Profile
Luanne, thanks for the layering tip. Sounds like something I could do.

A doctor on TV said to put vinegar on potatoes. The vinegar kept the potato from going to sugar as quick in our bodies. You might want to look into it so maybe you can add potatoes to his diet.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page