Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 663

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6425 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6425 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  11:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judy...Pesky litte varmits aren't they??? Them coons can be vicious too.
We get a lot of racoons and possums here. They are always all over the roads (hit by cars). The possums are so ugly and scary looking...I sure don't know how people use to eat them. Glad that is a delicacy of yester year. LOL
Hey, you might have a bright idea to make a little extra money...charging for your Zoo. ~ I am Medically Retired because of my Fibro. When I first had to quit working I was so sad....so bumed...I loved working. I was sooooooooo bored!!!
Now, I love not working and I am rarely ever bored. And life is good at a slower pace. I know I would never be able to go back to being the energetic, go-to person, I use to be. But I do have very fond memories of my working years.
Earlier this week my son and I stopped into the Christian Book Store at the Mall that I managed 11 years ago. The gal there said that they still get Sales Reps, and customers calling for me. And they still get business mail for me. That made me feel good.
I really loved that store. It was my baby. I still dream about working there or working for the owner. He was a great owner.

Janet...I love fall! I don't think we are going to get it until about late Sept or early Oct. around here...because our summer started so late. I think we will have an Indian Summer here.

Megan...I think that is great that you will get that experience at a grocery store. I always thought it would be fun to be a cashier at one but never even tried to get a jobat one.

Bunny...don't you love when God has your back and it is so obvious!?! That was so great...how those chain of events all had to happen just like they did for you to get that check. God is Good!!

Shanda...I loved your plumber story too. I've done that with The UPS drivers before...infact many times. I don't like bathrobes...so, usually I just throw a jacket over my pj's and answer the door. I am sure I've scared a few too. LOL Now, not only would I have messy hair,
I wouldn't have any teeth in either. LOL They'll think Halloween has come early.

Well, we have rain coming tonight. Not a lot just a drizzle they said...but it affects my body all the same, a little or a lot. This morning after I took Snickers for his walk...I came back home, ate breakfast, made my bed, did the dishes and then it was 10:00 am and I was so exhausted. I stretched out in my Recliner and slept for all most 3 more hours. I hate how the weather change does that to me. And tonight I feel like a walking zombie too. Barely have my eye balls open. They are at half-mast as my DH says.
So...I'm on here early so...I can go to bed early. Nightie Night!

More tomorrow chickies...
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 28 2012 11:27:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  06:56:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning girls, anyone want some coffee cake? I lived with a girlfriend once, and she used to make the best coffee cake. Just sounds good. And speaking of recipes - and this one is far from farm-ish - but I made myself an interesting breakfast this morning. I was packing the boys' lunches, and grabbed myself a couple of HB eggs to mix up for an egg salad sandwhich at lunch. I already had mayo and a roll stashed in the kitchen at work. I sliced one in half and put it in the boys' lunches too, and was about to sprinkle some salt on it, when I realized I was OUT OF SALT! Duh, how can a person run out of salt? I seriously don't think I've ever run out of salt before, but I guess the last time I filled the shaker, I neglected to remember to buy more! So - improvise right? Well, we had dinner with a couple friends at Buffalo Wild Wings a couple of weeks ago. DH likes to get the "naked chicken tenders" with the Salt & Vinegar rub on the side. You can actualy buy containers of that and other rubs at the restaurant too, so I picked up some on the way out. I sprinkled just a tiny bit of that on to the boys' eggs, and then decided I'd better put some on mine too. Then, after all this I remembered that DH and I planned to go OUT to lunch today. Ok, so improvise again - I'd just have an egg salad sandwich for breakfast! And you know what? That Buffalo Wild Wings Salt & Vinegar rub mixed in pretty well! Flavorful and a bit tangy mixed in! I'd eat it again. Living in MD, I've been known to put a little Old Bay Seasoning in my deviled eggs too!

My older boy started the "Boys Gymnastics" class at the center last night. I was amazed that there were 16 boys in the class! This is great, and he had fun, so I hope it's something he'll find pride in. Piano lessons ended last night too. Not his thing. My younger boy is still playing football, and DH is still coaching. This tackle football thing is just OBSESSIVE for all those involved. So many committments! So MUCH time! It's all DH can talk about, and I'm just sick of it. Unfortunately, there are another 2 months to go! It's not that I dislike football, and I really want to be supportive of DH and Younger Son (YS). It's just that it has monopolized much of our life, and it's becoming like nails on a chalkboard! <sigh>

My friend and I are going to try to pull off a quick and dirty yard sale this weekend in my garage. Yes, it's a holiday, but we have been trying all summer long to find a free date, and well - Saturday's it. We figure for all those folks who travel out of town, there are an equal number of folks visiting, who'll want something to do on Saturday morning. Problem is, that I'm supposed to take pictures at YS's football game, so I'll have to dash out for an hour and leave my friend running the show. At this point, it'll just have to be. I'm constantly telling myself, "Just Roll with it." I was hoping for a nice social evening with my yard saling friend and her DH and daughter, but no - Older Son (OS) has a local pool party to attend with Scouts! I might invite my friend and family to just come along. It's a small pack, and a neighborhood pool, so I don't think it'll be a big deal. Just gotta "Roll With It."

To boot - I can't even sit out in my backyard because the mosquitoes are so bad! I don't know what to spray either, because I don't want to harm my chickens. There doesn't seem to be an easy answer other than patience for a COLD NIGHT or TWO to kill the sucking fiends!

Ok, enough wining. I'm going to have more "virtual coffee cake."

Bunny, good that you got your tables and check. You didn't need that stress!
Shanda, I'm so happy your tub was a quick and easy fix - both for you AND your bladder!
Judy, next time I'm on the porch, I'll have to tell my "Baby Possum Story."
Janet, I too, have put my knitting away for cooler days. I just got some embroidery supplies to work on my FarmGirl badge though!
Tammy, thanks for being a teacher. I was one once. I taught 6th, 7th & 8th Grade Honors English and Social Studies. Grading Papers was my middle name!

Everyone have a great day, and if not, well... just "Roll With It."

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  08:58:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have been fighting off a lousy head cold. It's at times like these when you discover how truly horrible your mattress when you are sick and cannot sleep because the bed had totally died. I finally took the pillows and changed them to the foot of the bed and was able to get some sleep. It really did throw the kitties off though. They landed on my head instead of my feet. That sure woke me up. Bless the Bank of Boss. Blessing that he is he loaned me enough to get a new mattress which is to be delivered on Friday.
Megan. Good for you. It sure is nice to be employed.
Bunny, God had a hand in that one with the check. Thanks for reminding me about that tea. I will pick some up on the way home. I am in for a 1/2 day as I don't think I can take any more.
Peg, I LOVE the eyelashes. I always thought that whiskers and ears would have been appropriate for VW Rabbit but DH nixed that idea. He was conservative about how vehicles looked. The plainer the better as long as the paint job was good and the vehicle washed and polished.
Janet and Ruthie take care of yourselves.
Blessings on all this lovely new day.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  09:01:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erin just noticed your Ridgerunner thing. My dad was a constructive curser and one of the most constructive I ever heard out of him was this one on mosquitoes "Ridgerunning, stump pulling, gully jumping, cotton picking, misery making flying hypodermic needles!"

CMF
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  6:49:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone!
Janet, I'm going to be working two or three days/nights. I'm going to try and work as much as I can on the weekend so it doesn't affect school.
Judy, I don't know if I'd laugh or get scared if I were you! Rodents of the natural world scare me! Not squirrels or rabbits though, those little guys are cute! *giggle*
Peggy, I'm really excited! I think it'll be great experience, and it'll look wonderful come time to apply for college! Plus a little extra pocket money never hurt anyone;)
Erin, I hope you have a successful garage sale! I'm sure there will be some people looking for deals. Even with the holiday!
Cherime, I hope that you're able to not get your cold too badly! And it definitely is a nice feeling to be employed, it gives me a new independence.
Well, it's Wednesday! After Wednesdays, my weeks go faster, so hopefully tomorrow will be a good day! I hope everyone has great Thursdays!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3375 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3375 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  9:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....ok.....it's midnite and a city worker just rang my doorbell to hand me a paper saying that the water will be off until 7 in the morning....AND ....to boil it before consuming it for the next 48 hours. GREAT! I guess some old valves broke and have to be repaired. They were out here banging on the pavement making a hole(of course DH went to bed at 10 so he slept thru it all since he gets up at 4:30),so I had to tape the note to his bathroom mirror and leave his light on so that he sees it and doesn't try to take a drink in the dark.There's no water anyhow, but I don't want him to panic. Oh dear....he will panic anyhow 'cause he can't shower before he goes to work. He can shower at work, he has that option. ~whew...that's settled~
Also, he bought some critter-rid stuff at the farm supply store today. It has dried blood and garlic in it. He sprinkled it all around the back yard perimeter and guess what?....as we were sitting on our patio this evening Rascals ears perked up and we looked and there was a young skunk only about 15 yards from where we sat just moseying around sniffing the ground and heading straight for us. We both just stared at it dumb-founded. Then I pulled myself together and hissed at it and it Stopped-Stared(in disbelief)Yuk! Smelly humans! and I think I heard it *gasp* LOL,turned around and did that skunk waddle-run they do, as fast as it's little short legs could go. If you could have seen Hubbys face(ROFL). He picked up his quivering lip off his chest and whined,"THAT'S where I sprinkled the heaviest application of that (stuff)....around that shed area!" *whine*
The poor Dear! *giggle* I so badly wanted to say,"Maybe it has a head-cold and can't smell the (stuff)! Or he can't smell it over his own odor!" hahahahahahahahaha I controlled myself....I made ya'll proud!I just scooped up the cat and said..."Let's go inside." *sigh*
That was your comedy relief for the night. Hope you enjoyed it!
G'Nite!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"

Edited by - herblady55 on Aug 29 2012 9:56:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2422 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2422 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  06:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Judy, those skunks are bold. Not much keeps them away. Did you try mothballs? That is the only thing that ever worked for us here.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Netty
True Blue Farmgirl

379 Posts

Lynette
Hardy Nebraska
USA
379 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  07:15:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Megan....so proud for you on getting a job! My 17 yo daughter also works at the grocery store as a checker and and carryout. She likes her job and she loves the pay check. As she was getting older I told her she had to get a job because I could not afford the clothes she was wanting. Now she can get what she likes most of the time, like my mama always said, you have champagne taste living on a beer budget!! Good luck!

Oh girls I wished you were here, I am cooking fresh green beans and are they smelling gooooood. Can't wait till dinner now, also am having new potatoes with them. Ok, I'll bring some to the porch and share with the ones that would like some. Oh how I love summetime.

Cherime....sure hate you have a cold, it seems there have been a lot of colds and flu this summer. Very odd don't you girls think. Cherime, I got a kick out of your cat story, it reminded me of when I was a kid and I had a house cat and he slept with me at the foot of the bed. One night I was laying on my stomach and Jasper (cat) was down by my feet. Next thing I knew he was crawling up my legs getting ready to pounce on something and that something was my head with claws extended. He also learned how to fly that night. Take care and rest if you can so you can start feeling better.

Peggy....I think it is a great idea about the eyelashes, I want to get a cape for my SUV and be super mom. My kids said NO WAY!!!
I think it would be so cute and fun. Maybe one of these days.

Judy....I think your zoo is coming right along if your getting babies now. I always thought wild animals were scared to get to close to humans. I guess them being hungry is stronger than fear.
I have a story for you too, one night some friends came out to visit and on their way in our guy friend bent down to pet one of our cats, when he was just about ready to touch it, it turned its head and hissed at him with really long fang teeth showing. It was a darn ole possum. Needless to say he jerked his hand back rather quickly. *laughing* I still get a kick out of that story!! Just glad it turned out good and he didn't get bitten.

Teacher Tammy....I am so happy for your new house and that school is going so great for you. I am proud of anyone that can be a teacher, I was raised that a child was to respect their elders and especially teachers. So I get a little upset with the way kids are today, that is with mine included. They tell me some stories of what happens in school and it hurts to think how cruel some kids can be to the teachers. Also the kids here at my kids school call some of the teachers just by their last name. I guess I will never understand.

Shandra....I know how you feel with the repair man coming earlier than expected or in your case getting woke up. Where we live we know all our repair men and sometimes when they come to work on something they just walk in and start to work. Now that can get kinda of hairy sometimes and I hate getting caught with my nightie on. Just down right embaracing. Right!!

Bunny....so glad things worked out for you. Life can be so frusrating sometimes especilly when money is involved. Some people don't know what it is to live from pay check to pay check.

Erin....Oh I hope you have a great day for your garage sale. I love garage sales, you can find some really good deals sometimes and for the person having it, you get to meet some very interesting people plus get rid of some stuff.
It sounds like your life is very busy with your kids, and with your husband coaching, that can get real busy too I'm sure. Just remember to take care of yourself also. I remember having younger kids and my husband to care for and I always was left for last. I now take time for myself and I feel better for it. I know it seems hopeless for you to find time for yourself, but look hard for that time and take it by the curly cues and relax.

Janet....did you get to work in your flowers? That is so relaxing to me to work in my garden or my flowers. I use to love to mow the lawn because it took about 2 hours to mow and that was 2 hours I didn't have to listen to my kids scream and fight. I am such a terrible mother.
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  10:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Megan - congrats on the job!

Bunny - You sew so well, I can't imagaine it not going right for you! :) I'm glad everything worked out for you in regards to the check.

Janet - zuchinni bread? I'm there!

Erin - Your salt story reminded me that we're just about out of baking powder - better put that on the grocery list!

Judy - around here, groundhogs are plentiful and pleny destructive if they come upon anything tasty in the garden! There've been rumors of a famliy of skunks living in the little woodpile we have for campfires... but so far we haven't seen any. We have smelled one a few times. So far they've not gotten to the chickens or anything like that.

Cherime - that's a pretty apt description of those pesky skeeters!

Peggy - I saw something today that made me think of you - a minivan with - guess? - eyelashes on the headlights! I must say it doesn't look quite as cute on a Dodge Caravan as it does on a PT Cruiser or Bug!

Yesterday, my glasses broke in half... ugh! Thankfully I was able to go to the eye dr. and get an exam and order some new frames and they're putting a rush order on them so I should have them by Saturday. And I found out my vision has actually improved in the past three years so that was nice! Mom and I were able to figure out a way to repair my old ones enough that I can wear them when I need to, like for driving, until the new ones come in.

I tried the lacto-fermented carrots today and they were good! A bit too garlicky so I don't think I'll put as many garlic cloves in next time. I shredded most of them and added peas and a honey-vinegar-water dressing to make a nice salad and ate some of that for lunch.

In a little bit I'm going to head out to the library to return some of those books and the farmer's market - I heard there's going to be Honeycrisp apples available this week and those are my ABSOLUTE POSITIVE FAVORITE APPLE IN THE WORLD! So I'm looking forward to getting some of those!

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6425 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6425 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  10:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning My Porchies....

I tried to post last night but my computer was being difficult and I ended up just shutting it down for the entire night and rebooting it this morning. It decided to be "NICE" this morning...it probably just needed a good nights rest too. LOL

Erin...thanks for the coffee cake!!! I am always up for food.
~ I know what you mean about parents getting too aggressive at their kids sporting events.
My husband and I team coached Soccer...and it seems to me like the parents would have been better off playing just so they could learn a bit about Sportsmenship themselves. Their kids were better at it than the parents.
My goodness some of them could get so worked up and bent out of shape. You just wanted to walk over and shake some sense into them. They were very poor examples for their children.

Cherime...Summer colds are the worst. Hope you are feeling better today.
I think whiskers and ears would have been so cute on your Rabbits...and maybe a big fluffy tail for the rear end. LOL
I got my eyelashes in the mail yesterday. My DH is going to go run the Bug threw the carwash for me...so, I can put them on today. I'm so excited. The crystaline Purple eye liner is so cute on them.

Megan...you will have to share stories with us from your job. When you work with the public there are always funny stories and sweet endearing stories to share. I seriously could write several books about things that happened when I worked retail. People are just a hoot. My favorite are the stories I have about children, especially at the Holidays. They are just too precious. So, keep your eyes and ears open...and you too will have fun things to share.

Judy...talk about funny stories. I'm not sure which is funnier the skunk or the city worker ringing your doorbell at midnight.
Come on who does that???? And who answers their door at midnight??? Lol
Besides you! We would never go to our doors here at night...you might be robbed or killed. And it has happened believe me.
Thanks for the comic relief though...I did get a good chuckle out of both.

Netty...I think you should put a cape on your SUV...it would be cute.. super mom!
Loved your possum story too. It reminds me of the commercial right now on tv where the woman goes out her patio door to bring her cat in for the night and she doesn't have her glasses on...and a raccoon walks back in with her. Hee Hee!

Janet...I love zuchinni bread and I haven't made any yet this summer. I have a good sized one in the frig. I think I will have to bake up a loaf or two.

Lidnsey...I am so with you, on the Honeycrisp Apples.
They are my all time favorite. The prices are so high on them...but I must say they are worth it.
Yeah, some how a Dodge Caravan doesn't seem like it would look as good with the eyelashes. I think the car has to have some of it's own cuteness to pull off those eyelashes.
Hope you have a good time at the Farmers Market.

My son is coming over this morning to help me put a security lock on my front door. I thought it was so crazy that they didn't put peep-holes in our doors so you could see who was knocking or ringing the bell. So, that is why I wanted a chain lock besides the deadbolt lock...so, I have some protection between me and who-ever.
So, DH got the lock last night for me.
And son is bringing his drill...so we can attach it. But my son...said, "Mom there is a peep-hole in your door, you're just too short to see out it." I said, "See out it, I'm so short I didn't even see we had one." LOL

OK...have a great day girls.

Be a Blessing To Some One Today,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 30 2012 10:58:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  1:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Afternoon
it has cooled off a little here, but only for a couple of days. Back in the 90's latter this week and weekend.

Pam that is pretty material you used. I like the way it turned out too. I would love to do something like that in this house.

Bunny i am glad you had a good time with your class. Die cutters can be a lot of fun.

Peggy I love the eye lashes. My DH would never go for it, but I think they are great.

Judy I love the idea of adding rasins and seeds to the no bakes. I will have to try it.

Lynette Home canned salsa is the best. I hope I can put a garden in next year so I can make some.

Megan congrats on the new job.

Shandra LOL that has happened to me. Always when I want to sleep in someone calls or shows up. LOL

Bunny Glad you got the check stuff straight. Hope it does not take to long to get a new check.

I need to run. I have a meeting for training to work as the Homeless liaison. If you could pray for the students and me I would really appreciate it.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2422 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2422 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  3:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Netty, I have not been able to get out in my gardens. I want to collect the seeds to plant next year, but it is way too windy out, the seeds would be all over the place. It feels like huricane wind here today!!! But it is warm, and very humid again. Darn!!!
Dianne, Prayers being sent your way. It takes a special person to do what you are doing. You go girl!!!!!
Just got done eating. I made cobb salad and boy, was it refreshing. Also blueberry pie for desert. Help yourself if you want, I don't mind sharing.
Now I think I will get back to my knitting. I quit making mittens for swhile, but now I am working on cowls. Alot easier to work on for now.
More later,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1459 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1459 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  6:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evening ladies,
I do hope yall have had a great day. WEll my day started with not hot water..YIKES! Talk about a rude awakening....it was. Apparently there was a loose wire and blown fuse..hopefull that is the fix and we are not replacing the water heater.. It was picture day and my little butterflies were so darn cute all dressed up. I am also getting another new butterfly come Tuesday. That makes nineteen pairs of wings a fluttering in a small room..but I will make it work. Will have to do some rearranging this weekend...too hard to do that with 18 butterflies telling Madame Butterfly how to do it.

This weekend the rest of the family is going to the state fair but I am staying home with the dogs and minding the home place. I don't really want to go...need some time to get ready for new student and just chill out a bit. I will have the house to myself...now that is my cup of tea every once in a while.

Megan so glad to hear you got a job. I am sure you will do well.

Judy...I don't think I should fly in your neck of the woods with all your critters...they might eat my wings.

Peggy did you get your eyelashes yet...I think that is just the darnest cute idea but my hubby said no to me...hehehehe

Well ladies I actually have my papers graded so going to have a cup of tea and just relax
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Wings of Joy http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3375 Posts

Judy
USA
3375 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  8:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Peggy, harharhar....that's so funny about not even knowing that you had a peep hole in your door! Rofl...snort...giggle...
My Mama had them put one in her door at a lower level too. Then she covers it up with tape she can lift up when somone knocks. She has the upper one covered up too. You can actually see in them from outside. Did ya'll know that??? It's true!
The road crew was actually outside working in the intersection at 11PM last night. So when they came back at midnite, I knew it was them.(white city truck with annoying,flashing yellow light) And they saw my light on and my shadow moving around in there so they knew I was up. But, Yes...that was weird of them to do that.
But then, like I told my Mom, if they just left the notice cards on the neighbors front doors, and all the neighbors go out their back doors in the morning,how may of them drank their water this morning and didn't know about the warning.How would they have known??
Oh, and DH said that the water was back on when he got up at 4:30. So he got his bath ok.hahaha We have a whole house filter on the line so there was no difference in the water color. But we have drinking water in the frige.
Dianne, Prayed for you and your situation. That is a tough one.
Tammy,You'd need wings of steel around this zoo! hahaha You obviously have nerves of steel already! *giggle*
Well, we sat outside this evening without narry a whisker nor tail to be seen. *yeaaaa* I told Hubs that maybe the granules needed time to do it's thing. hahaha We'll see!
Well, Patsy called this morning to tell me that Jim,my BIL, was having a gallbladder attack and had been up since 5:30 this morning. He was hurting so bad that he was doubled over at times. They have no insurance now that he's retired. She called their local hospital and told them their situation and they said that they couldn't recommend any natural remedies over the phone. But they gave her a phone number to call. I got my books out and gave her some ideas, but I haven't heard back from her.He was doing hot compresses.
So, I'm requesting Prayer for the both of them. It's hard to watch your Sweetie suffer when you can't do much to help them.

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  8:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can hardly keep up with you ladies! Ya'll love to chat it up on this front porch! :)
Ive had a busy past few days doing some canning. Put up some applesauce, apple jelly and some apple pie filling. Celebrated my birthday on Tuesday and enjoyed my favorite dinner from one of our local Mexican restaurants. The best authentic in MN! Got some laundry done, some tidying up and getting ready to enjoy the weekend up at the lake with the in-laws.

All your adventures with animals, and water and eyelashes and new jobs and more never disappoint! This is a very entertaining thread! Hope ya'll get a great nights sleep and I'll "see ya" in the morning!

~Hugs,
April

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

Netty
True Blue Farmgirl

379 Posts

Lynette
Hardy Nebraska
USA
379 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  9:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok everyone join in to sing Happy Birthday to April.

Ready.....Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear April
Happy Birthday to you!!!

And wishing you many many more.

Netty
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  04:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judy - my pastor had trouble with gallstones awhile back and had great success with going on an "apple diet" where he really didn't eat anything but apples, applesauce, and apple juice for a few days until he felt better. I think he did the olive oil and lemon juice too. And lots of water to flush the system!

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  05:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Netty - You're so sweet! Thanks for your birthday wishes! :)

I'm finishing up some applesauce and then we're outta here to go get some relaxation for a couple of days. Everyone have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend!

Hugs all around!
April :)

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3375 Posts

Judy
USA
3375 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  08:21:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday April! Have a GREAT weekend rest too!
Lindsey, that's EXACTLY what I sent her out of my Natural Healing books...the Apple Diet&olive oil&lemon juice mix! Amazing that we were on the same page. I told my Sister that "An apple a day really DOES keep the doctor away!"
Well, off to run errands!
Later Gals!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6425 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6425 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  10:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ok Girls...now you know I was serious!!! LOL The only sad thing is...you can't see
the purple eyeliner I put behind them. I should have done it differently than they
showed...it would have shown up that way. Next pair...I will do it my way. Live
and learn. They were so inexpensive I can rip them off and do a new pair when ever
I want. (I will wait awhile and get some wear out of these first). They were only
$5.99 a set. My Bible Study gals last night loved them. They got a big kick out of
them. I was calling my car "Zippy" until I put the eyelashes on...now I am calling
her "Sassy". LOL

Dianne...praying for both you and the homeless kids. Hey, let me know if you could use
hats, scarfs and mittens for the kids. We could probably get some of the farm girls to
help make some...but only if there is a true need for them.

Judy...I so did not know you could see into peep-holes. I think I will stick with getting
the chain lock on my door. My husband bought the kind of lock that they have on Motel
doors but it won't work on our front door because of the molding around it. So, now he has
to take it back and get the chain kind. I tried standing on my tip-toes and I still couldn't
see out of the peep-hole. LOl Hey, I'm 5ft 2in. that isn't that short. OK, its short but
there are shorter people than me. They are called "Little People". Ha Ha!
Patsy's DH ought to do good with those two remedies for his gall bladder...but if he is
having pain to the point of being bent over...he is going to eventually need that gall
bladder taken out. When I was two years without insurance because I was waiting for Medicare
to kick in. I had two heart episodes where I had to go in to the Hospital...and they ended
up just writing the debt off. That is an option if it gets too painful for him. Nobody
likes to have to go that route but hey, you can't be in that terrible of pain too often before
you just can't take it anymore and something has to be done.

Janet...I don't think I have ever eaten cobb salad. What all is in it? Now Blueberry Pie I love...
thanks for leaving some on the Porch. ~ I made cowls one year for all the women in the family for
Christmas. They were fun and easy to make.

Teacher Tammy...I don't blame you for wanting a little "ME" time. I could use some of that myself.
But where both hubby and I are retired that doesn't happen often. Oh, well...I have my Women's Retreat
coming up at the end of September and that will be fun. 4 days away to the Coast with just us Women.

April...Happy Belated Birthday Farmgirl!!!! Sounds like you had a nice one.

Lindsey...You are right...an apple a day does keep the Dr. away!!! They say if we ate one apple a day
and then drank one 8 oz. glass of water every night before bed...we would do a World of Good for our
bodies health.

OK...not much news to talk about so think I will go read and then work on my Bible Study Prep.
for next weeks Lesson.

HAVE A GREAT AND RELAXING LABOR DAY WEEKEND SISTERS!!!!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  1:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Busy Busy Busy! I need to sit on the porch awhile and drink some ice tea.

Peggy I hope we get an Indian Summer here to. I love Fall, but it is way to short. and Indian Summer makes it seem longer.

Judy I love th wild animal stories. I would have love to see your DH's face. I bet it was a great look of disbelief. LOL

Lynette I think it is lazyness that has students use just the last name of a teacher. Here we have a problem with them just using Miss or Sir. We are not that big of a school. There is noreason they can not learn their teachers names.

April Happy Birthday!!

Judy I read somewhere, I can't remember where, that there is scientific facts about eating apples. There are a lot of good stuff in them.

Peggy Those eye lashes are so darn cute! I love them.
We had a lady here delever a big box of had knitted hats. i don't know about scarves or mittens yet. If anyone has time I am sure they would be pu to good use. exspecialy with the younger students.

Everyone have a great weekend.

Dianne
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2376 Posts

Bunny
The Dalles OR
USA
2376 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  08:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arrgggh so annoying. I posted a long post with comments to everyone and my ipad munched it away. Sorry to say I'm not doing it again.

I'm on my laptop so it won't happen again at least.

I got all my school books rented and they are on their way. So much cheaper than buying them at the book store. I saved over $400.00 this quarter by doing that. Took my kittie to the vet for her sniffles and now she is on medicine. I feel better. Hopefully she will be over her infection soon. I have decided to shut down my online fabric shop on September 21. So if anyone wants to order any fabric, now is the time. I am moving everything over to Etsy and will sell it in packages of either fat quarters, charm squares or 2.5" strip sets. I really need to get this stuff sold. I have about $7000 worth of fabric. that would go a long way to helping me save up for my tiny house on wheels. It bugs me to have so much value in something and I can't get it out. I have tried to sell it as a large lot and even large yardage amounts at one time. I figure people need fabric for quilt backs. But no luck. So I'm trying another approach. It will take even longer to sell by the charm square but not sure what else to do.

Anyway, later all. Have a quilt binding to do and getting paid for it.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile
Fabric www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

fromscratchhomemadelife
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Cassi
Western Middle TN
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  12:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my, I have not posted in ages! I hope everyone I was just getting to know is doing well!!

I have been busy busy busy. I desperately need to sit on the porch swing and rock awhile with a nice glass of sweet tea. We've started to hunt in earnest for a farm of our very own. We have a realtor working with us who only deals in farms. We're looking at several over the next month. A few are old 1900 farm houses with tin roofs (I love that!!!) One has the last remaining dairy barn in the county! I'm so excited! We're hoping to find and close on a farm by January or February.

We took two of the cows to slaughter and will be getting them back in 10 days. One is ours, the other belongs to my in-laws. We'll be taking our mean-as-a-snake hog to butcher next. We're still considering whether or not to do that on our own though. The place we take them is awesome and will smoke the bacon and hams for us which is very nice.

Other than that I've been hitting the knitting needles and crochet hooks hard to get ready for Fall and Winter. I'm so excited for Fall. It's one of my absolute favorite times of the year. I've been cleaning and organizing for fall as well. It's still a month or so off for us temperature wise so I have lots of time. I've canned the last of our summer garden. I am sitting here now with a sleeping Raspberry on my chest and Monster is fighting his nap today. It's a gloomy, rainy day. Love those.

Cassi
Farmgirl #4371

http://fromscratchourhomemadelife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2422 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2422 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  3:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sure have been busy cooking. Love it!!! Today I made swedish meatballs. Yum, but it is such a heavy meal for summer, but hubby wanted them, sooooo! I worked yesterday, but the day went by fast, so it was not too bad.
We took a ride to the beach and walked the shoreline. It was so refreshing, even though it is hard for me to walk on uneven ground with artificial hips. I wished I would have taken my camera. It was so blue, and lots of geese and ducks swimming in the water.
Peggy, Cobb salad is a huge salad. A bed of shredded lettuce, then in strips I put cooked, cubed chicken, then a strip of cubed hard cooked eggs, strip of cubed tomatoes, strip of cubed cukes, then a strip of cooked bacon that was cut into pieces, topped it all with colby jack cheese, then we used ranch dressing, but you can use any kind of dressing you want. It was so good a refreshing in the warm weather.
Cassi, glad to see you back on the porch. Seems most of us have been so busy this summer. Soon, hopefully we can all relax on the porch and take er easy for longer stretches.
April, Happy belated birthday!!!!! Hope you had a great one!!!
Peggy, love the lashes. Does your hubby still like them after you got them put on? Mine would never allow me to do that!!!! I love them though.
Bunny, that is great that you are able to rent your books. I know they are so expensive, and then when you go to sell them, you get hardly anything for them. Here at the community college, they only use the same books for about 2 years, then you need to get new ones. Crazy. Glad you and kitty are feeling better.
Dianne, yes, it seems like you did not have much time off from school this summer. I hope you got to enjoy that time off.
Well gals,I am going to knit some and watch some tv. I hope there is a good movie on tonight. Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3375 Posts

Judy
USA
3375 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  8:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peg, LoveLoveLove those eye lashes girl!Those were cheap, not like the ones I saw last week in our(junk)catalogue for $30.00.*aaccckkk* I about fainted when I saw that price. Better be made of gold.hahaha They were slanted/angled like the ones you showed us on that PT Cruiser.Where did you order yours? How many washings will they stay on through? *giggle*
Peepholes are a good security to have along with locks. You can always cover them like Mom does. In your area, sounds like you need all the security you can get girl!Get a doorbell that barks like a dobie hahaha
I had to LOL at your comment about drinking a glass of water every night before bed. Honey, at our age we need to stop drinking ANY beverages after 7PM. We'll be up in the potty all night! hahaha
What am I saying....I am up twice a night now! ROFL
Hi Cassi, good to see you again. Thanks for painting that mental pic for us of the kids sleeping on and around you on a rainy afternoon. So comfy&sweet! Wow...fresh beef AND pork. How nice is that!
We had a very hot/humid/86 day today. It rained this evening and is sprinkling now. Gonna be good night for sleeping now that it's cooled off.
I took the trash out before DH came home this evening(still light) and here came the skunk across the yard, turned and went behind the shed, came out, went to the garden and snuffled all around there. Hubs says, What are ya watching when he pulled in. I said,that crazy skunk. Hey, if it eats grubs outta the garden, that's a good thing, right?It spends a lot of time there digging. A friend of DH's is giving him a couple of live traps. Ok, THAT'S just a disaster waiting to happen. hahaha I asked him what he's going to do with a live skunk in a trap? He says, "I dunno!" I don't even want to see how this one is going to end!
K...G'Nite Gals!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 663 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page