Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  6:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Tracy...I could use all the hugs I can get right now...and I know the Lord will watch over him...David and God have a great connection... :)....and thanks for the graham crackers and nutella, love nutella...already it is making me feel better.. :)

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  9:33:09 PM  Show Profile
Hello all!
Peggy, hopefully I will have buns of steel someday... We can all dream! And that's terrible about churches splitting up because of something so trivial as carpet color! But like you said, we are a dysfunctional family, the Church.
Staci, I don't have experience in that area, but I can offer you prayers and hugs! Along with some virtual chocolate
Cherime, I have never heard of banana butter. Something new to put on my to-try list!
Bunny, aren't guys terrible sometimes with being so hot and cold! I hope you can find a good guy soon! You deserve one:) And I will definitely keep up with the running. I'm planning on doing some 5Ks soon. I want to do one a month!
Kimberly, I hope your husband doesn't put on a macho front and get back in the saddle too soon! I pray that he gets better fast:)
Tracy, I don't care what kind of buns I have, as long as there are always cinnamon buns in the world!
Today was another good day at school. Homework, of course! Then rugby was cut short. Our coach was a little upset with a few of the players. He wants us to commit to excellence, and to take practices a little more seriously. We're a nationally ranked team, but we can't keep that title without putting forth the effort. But otherwise it was good! Then after my homework was done, I did my first run for 5K training on our treadmill. It definitely was a good workout!
Also, I did not forget that I am the ornament swapper for August! I will hopefully get the chance to go to the post office on Saturday. I didn't forget about you guys!
Have a blessed Thursday everyone!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  11:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I thought I would post a little something so I can start new tomorrow. I am sorry that I have been a little preoccupied and a little self centered today. I have read every ones posts but haven't been up to responding to each one of them...I've gotten a little behind...but tomorrow is a new day and I promise I am starting over and won't neglect ya'll anymore. I'm over my pity party..lol..well that is until the day I have to hug him for the last time for a while(when he leaves)...so from now until then, promise (pinkie swear) I will do better.

I do want to say I will keep all of you in my prayers and hope your troubles become fewer...I really do appreciate you Porchies, more than you ever know...Love and

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

Edited by - Acelady02 on Sep 01 2011 05:16:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  05:39:15 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all -

Still no power here - the latest update is maybe Friday or Saturday. We're getting along fine with a generator, though, so not really a problem other than not being able to do laundry. I'm starting to run out of clean clothes! I have an old fashioned wooden scrub board in my kitchen for decoration - never thought I might actually have to use it!

OK - for us "uninformed" - could somebody please tell me what nutella is? If it goes with graham crackers and milk, I'm sure it's delicious!

Hugs!
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  06:54:54 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies. Sept is here and I have the Christmas Ornaments ready. I only had one person respond with their address and still need the other addresses so I can get them in the mail. If you could be so kind as to send me your address if you are among those that are in the exchange I would be very grateful.

I am still working the temp job and should be back and more active in a couple of more weeks.

Prayers to all and hope to hear from the exchange group soon

Hugs

Theresa

The well of nature is full today. Time to go outside and take a drink. Diane Ackerman

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  08:05:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Luanne, nutella is a hazelnut and chocolate spread...really, really good...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  1:52:19 PM  Show Profile
Bunny...Supposedly I am over menapause (according to my Dr. and he did blood work to prove it to me because I am a hard-headed woman) LOL
but in my family the women never totally get over menapause (the hot flashes part). My mom is 78 and she still has hot flashes, my Aunt is
70 and she gets hot flashes on only one side of her body (it's the weirdest thing you ever saw...her face goes beet-red and one side of her body starts sweating and is warm to the touch and the other side doesn't sweat and is cool) and I am 59 and still get hot flahtes (not as many as when I was in menapause) but hey...I would like to do an official protest...once menapause is over so should all the symptoms be!!!
I pray non of you have this weird family inheritance...because it makes you want to commit harry-carry some days. UUUggghhh!

Penny...don't say "goodbye" to your son...because it isn't going to be goodbye. Just longer times in between "hello's". Just love on him a all over the place...but no goodbyes. (promise!) But you can cry and vent...anytime you need to with us girls. We are here for you darlen!
I like your son...and I don't even know him. But you can tell a lot about a man by how he treats his mama! ~ OK, I am probably the only one in the whole world who doesn't love Nutella. It's because I don't like Hazelnuts. Love the Chocolate...part, does that count???? lol

Kimberely...glad hubby feels good enough to go to work. That is answer to prayer!!! My poor grandson had to fly home a day after he got his
staples put in and I guess the pressure in the airplane really caused him a lot of pain. I hadn't even thought about that. I was glad his
flight was only 40 minutes. So, how did you do looking at those big staples in his skull? Kind of freaky...I think! I am so glas that your
husband isn't simming to suffer much head pain...can you message his neck and shoulders for him...to help ease that pain?

Luanne...oh, I am sorry you and others are without electricity. Glad you can jump on and off the Porch from work. But power isn't a big deal when you consider all the flood damage and lost lives. We do love our conveniences though don't we???? Praising God you are alright!

Elaine...I bet you are going to be tired for awhile girl until you get back in to the swing of Full Time Teaching. You might have to get to bed earlier each night so you make sure you get plenty of rest...because your little group of kiddies are going to be full of energy!!

Darlys...Welcome to The Porch! So glad you came over to join us here. :+) I found out some new things about you today, reading your post.
So, you too can relate to what our Staci is going through. You had some very good advice for her! Even with all the Christian Family Dsyfunction...being a Church Secretary was one of my favorite jobs. It's like any family is...only larger!!

Deborah...glad that you are OK and also glad to hear that you and others who escaped the harshness of the Storm are reaching out to
help those less fortunate. I am praying for strength and endurance for all of you. Keep us posted on how things are going in your
area.

Megan...when is your 5K that you are practicing for? ~ Did you get all the addresses that you needed for the Ornament Swap?

Theresa...I will try to email you the addresses for the ornament swap later tonight. I think I saved the list when I made it for
Angela. I would do it now but all of a sudden my Chronic Fatigue is hitting me.

Tracy...I like you Cinnamon "buns" the best myself! At my age...I could careless about buns of steel.

OK girls...must go lay down. Chat with you more later or tomorrow.

blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  3:17:38 PM  Show Profile
Well, I thought I'd stop and sit a spell on the porch. I need a break. Been ironing and baking banana bread with pecans. I brought some along - but it might have to cool a bit as it's fresh out of the oven.

I have a problem. More to the point my IRON has a problem. This is not a new thing -- maybe it's just that I'm hard on irons. I try to be sweet to them. I try to listen to their concerns. I understand their hot flashes. I just can't seem to coddle them out of the repetitive and unrepentant incontinence! Just a few minutes ago my "high-quality" iron just wet all over my ironing board - again. I'd say it peed but don't want to offend anyone's sensibilities. Does anyone else have an iron with this unfortunate infirmity? And, if so, has ANYONE figured out how to nurse it to health? Do I have to give up the "steam" and resort to a squirt bottle? Or, is it me ... do I need to be doing something that I'm not?

How about a lovely glass of iced tea with your banana bread? ..... butter?

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  4:10:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies. Hope you're all having a fine day. Kimberly, your peaches sound so yummy. Staci, my Etsy is on my list of things to fix. I did a blog entry today about the summer. I feel for you about the church thing. Our church is very clever. We were due to have a remodel so they had two choices made up for the congregation to vote on. One choice had a very updated color pattern and nice new chairs. The other was virtually the same thing we already had. It's not hard to figure out which choice won. I agree with the other ladies. Be Switzerland. I would even go so far as to say it out loud that you're not getting put in the middle. Luanne, you're a busy lady. I know what you mean about being ready for bed earlier and earlier. Around here 7:30 at night and we are all in pj's and heading towards pillows. Glad you're enjoying school Elaine. Luanne, you can find Nutella in your store in with the peanut butter. Darlys, have you tried not filling the water container full? I only fill mine half way because if laid flat water would spill out. Mine has a button to push if I want a spray of water instead of steam. Maybe that button is malfunctioning.

Ok, all caught up on reading posts. I've been having some allergies or a cold the last couple of days. Yesterday I had a lot of fun. I met a friend and we went to a farm that's in the city. They have a market a couple of days a week. Afterwards we went to a yarn shop. We got some nice yarn for future projects. I bought some to knit socks when I'm brave enough. The place has a little house in back that they open and you can sit and knit and talk. After that we went to Stitch Lab. This is a fabric store and they do sewing classes. Gorgeous material. I bought one called Frog Prince by Westminster. They had matching laminated material. I'm hoping to make a lunch bag and a small project bag. I opened my email today and found I have an order for 25 bars of soap! It's for a baby shower. I've done several orders like this and it's nice to get those big orders. Tomorrow I'm meeting a lady for lunch at a new place. It's supposed to serve only locally sourced food. I think it'll be good. Her and I were supposed to do the market on the university campus. A few days before the organizer cancelled it due to the possibility of rain. Of course their was no rain today. Just a little over reacting to the weather reports. They had said 30% chance of rain. Sheesh...

See you all later!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  4:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Penny - I'm not at that stage yet but I think I can imagine the pain of having my son move far away. *hugs*
Darlys - Excellent description and extremely funny!!! I say just quit using it, that will show it. :)

To all the ladies without electricity - that sounds fun for a few hours, maybe, but then it probably gets a little annoying. Hope your power is back on soon and all your deep freezers are okay.

Nutella = taste from heaven and nutrients from hades. This stuff is so good but if you eat much you might explode. But I think I'd like to experiement and see how much you can actually eat before the explosion......

I spent a fortune today. I hate going to town. One: I hate crowds and cities are full of crowds. Two: Driving an hour to get there, make the plethora of stops and then drive an hour home makes for a tired and grumpy momma. Three: It's always expensive because you're buying so much to make the trip worth it. Four: You always get home and realize you forgot something!!!!!

My mom did this when I was young and I think I'm going to start it now too. Ever heard of Kombucha? We're soon going to be drinking it. Plus I bought some organic grains. I've been grinding my own flour for years but now I want to sprout the grain before grinding it. Apparantly you get TWICE the nutrients doing it that way plus it's easier to digest so less chance of allergies etc. I bought wheat, kamut and spelt. So I'll soon be sprouting and grinding and baking. :)

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  7:06:09 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies,
I tell you what I had some serious catching up to do. I was gone a few days and yall were just chatty little things.

Nutella is like a bit of heaven....very yummy on scones, toast, bread, graham crackers...can you tell it is a staple at my house.

Elaine hope you have a wonderful year with your new class. I still think you must give them a pet name.

I have to share a giggle with yall. Yesterday my little butterflies were doing some cutting from magazines for a project. One little butterfly was looking very intently on his scissors. I asked him if there was something wrong and he smiled and said oh no...my scissors ate the magazine. I guess they were hungry. I just laughed. I thought how cute! WE are finally getting into some kind of routine...it has been slow coming but getting there. I am still getting to know them but I tell you they are just plain cute little butterflies.

Well ladies, 5:30 comes early so I am going to head out for some tea and bit of reading. Left you some chocolate muffins along with some Valentine's tea (chocolate with strawberry bits) to enjoy.

love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~The View From Within
http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  8:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Theresa glad to see you on the porch...looking forward to seeing you more often.

PeggyA. I HATE menopause...night sweats, hot flashes....nasty little things...been going through it for a while...had to go through it once in my early 20's when I had to have a hysterectomy and Dr. said I hate to tell you but you will have to go through it again...I ask him, what in the world was he trying to do to me..lol...but it is, what it is... I am sorry you are still going through it...no one should have to go through it that long...but as you say it runs in your family. I 'promise" I won't say goodbye..I will just say till our next visit. Thank you so much for the kind words about David. He is a great young man...he has a great heart, loves his Momma and loves the Lord. What more could a Momma ask for? I want to thank you again for being here for me...Yeah either you love hazelnuts or you don't, doesn't seem to be an in between....but oh my I do like it a lot. I sure hope you feel better sorry that the fibro has got a hold on you tonight...prayers for you to feel better.

Daryls, I have almost done the same thing your iron has been doing...I've laughed so hard I almost wet my pants...dang another one of those aging things, I don't like. I know when I fill mine up more than half way it will leak too...don't know if that will help you or not... thanks for the banana bread and tea...love me some banana bread.

FarmDream, You have had a very, very busy day girl...wow, bet you are tired. Sounds like so much fun to me. We are going to Augusta, GA next week to meet a friend of mine from SC for her birthday supper. I have already asked DH if he will take me to the craft store and fabric store...I am so excited. We have nothing around here like that...Augusta is a little over an hour away..so I can't wait. Get some rest tonight

Kimberly, Thanks for the hug...I'm like you I feel for the ladies without electricity...bless them..we were without it for a week this past winter due to the snow...we almost never get snow and got it 3 times. But it wasn't so hard for me except for being out of water because we have a well...that really was the hardest part. I use to live in the mountains of TN on Clinch Mtn. and where we lived was referred to as "living beyond the power lines) I was married to David's Dad then and we lived over a mile up the mountain on a dirt road(our driveway). We bought the house knowingly without electricity. The people that built the house chose not to have electricity, they lived in a T-Pee for 4 yrs(with2 kids) while they cut and milled the wood off the land to build the house. I loved that place. We had spring fed water from above us with a holding take up there too...and we had a propane full size gas refrigerator, gas water heater and yes indoor plumbing...lol...We heated with wood and kerosene lamps for light. We did have a generator that we used once in a while..not often...so we could watch tv (with an antenna) every now and then...It was an amazing place. I make kombucha here too...love it.. I started making it about a year ago I guess...I can tell the difference when I don't drink it...I would love to have a place close by where I could buy grains to grind myself...nothing around here like that...

Tammy, we have been chatting alot haven't we? lol...I with you on the nutella...heaven. I love the story of the little boy...so cute...thanks for the chocolate muffins and tea....wow I have never heard of that tea before. Have a great day tomorrow.

I worked on my Harvest kitchen swap today and did a little extra for what ever swap may come up...I have also been working on the faux chennille blanket. I can't wait to get all the lines sewn. I really have been enjoying sewing again. Makes me feel close to my Momma..which makes me think I should clear something up... Mama...yes I know that is how it is spelled...but when I was very little I would say Mom Ma so that is how come I spell it that way. I have always wanted to be different..lol...So I can imagine someone here must have thought I couldn't spell...lmbo...but I promise I can...This was just my special thing with my Momma...funny huh, My older brother called her Mother, my younger brother called her Mama and my younger sister was like me and called and spelled it Momma. Just depends on how us southerners..pronounce stuff...lol..

I will check in later. Have a great evening Porchies

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  9:35:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!
Penny, it is okay if you have stuff to vent! It's what we're here for:)
Luanne, Nutella is a hazelnut/chocolate spread. It's very, very yummy! And I hope you're able to get clean clothes soon!
Theresa, I'm going to email you straight away!
Peggy, there are a few that I want to do. One is this month, it's for breast cancer research (not only would it benefit our dear Darlene, but it's a cancer that runs in my family). There are two in October, but I'm only going to do one because they are on consecutive days, which definitely wouldn't be good for me! One's in November, then one on New Year's Eve day. And I emailed you about addresses!
Darlys, I don't what to tell you about your iron! I just hope you get it sorted out soon! Hugs to you!
Julie, it sounds like you had a busy but fun day!
Tammy, that is absolutely adorable!
Today was a good day. I had school, then rugby, but I wasn't able to participate because of my knee brace. I need to get cleared to wear a different type of brace for games, and we scrimmaged today, so no practice for me! Then it was back-to-school night, and since my Mom was working, my dad went and he walked my schedule. He finally knows how it feels to be in classrooms all day with no air conditioning! Ha, yeah, it's different at night than during high sun time. I hope everyone has fan-tabulous Fridays!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  9:46:25 PM  Show Profile
Darlys; good one. My iron, a spendy one too, tends to pee all over its space too. Have not figured that one out.

Peg and all, I have had a very easy transition through menopause with the exception of hot flashes. Still get those dratted things.

It’s almost 9pm here and I am patiently waiting on the water path canner to reach the proper temp. I came right home and processed those pears I was waiting on to get ripe. I ripened them in those green bags and they did really well. But had to do them tonight as I have a sunny weekend coming up and that means finishing the house wall and I got PAID so I have the money to do it. Back to the canning and that pear butter is going to go really well with some fresh hot bread. Hugs all

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  10:26:40 PM  Show Profile
Don't you just love that satisfying little "thunk" when those jars seal? Made it. Good night all.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  01:15:27 AM  Show Profile
Megan and Theresa...emailed you girls the Ornament List. Couldn't find the one I sent Angela...so retyped the one I still had from Darlene. This time I made sure I saved a copy in case any of the other gals on the
list need a copy.

Kimberly and Penny...OK, I give...what is Kambucha? Must be healthy...I don't see the word chocolate attached to it anywhere! lol

Tammy...loved the butterfly story. Isn't he precious! Those scissors CAN eat magazines! ~ What is your latest good read??? I am in the middle of The Help. I'm loving it.

Darlys...I have one of those spitting, peeing Irons too. What ever you do...do not quit using steam...because then they will start pooping brown rust all over your clothes and fabric. They are as bad
as children and puppies. :+)

Penny...I think people all spell mama and grandmama differently anyway...so I didn't even think aboutyour spelling. My oldest son calls me "Mother" my middle son calls me "Mom" and my youngest son calls me "Mama"....isn't that funny that they each have chosen their own particular word...that they are comfortable with? I call my mom..."Mom", unless she has me really irritated, then I call her "Mother"...so when my oldest calls me "Mother"...I am hoping it is a term of endearment...not irritation. Ha Ha!

Holly...hope you can figure out how to post pictures. Would love to see your place.

Cherime...I always loved the little "thunk" of sealing jar lids. Such a statisfying sound! Like, "OK...job complete!" Fresh hot bread...I can smell it from here!! I eat way too much bread...even though I eat the good kinds. Ubber Healthy!

Night My Porchies....
blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 02 2011 10:12:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  04:33:04 AM  Show Profile
Yippee skippee - I have power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it's not a big thing in the scope of all the storm tragedies, but it was so nice to go home last night and do a load of laundry and take a real shower - such luxury! Still don't have phone or cable, but I can easily live without those.

We have been working at the local fair all week, and will continue through Labor Day. It's fun, but exhausting.

Thanks for the info on nutella - can't wait to go to the grocery store and see if I can find some. Anything with hazlenut AND chocolate can't possible be bad!

Have a wonderful weekend everybody.

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  06:13:50 AM  Show Profile
Cherime - I LOVE those pops, and thunks of sealing jars! It's my reward for all the hard work. :)

Luanne - YIPPEE!!! I'm so glad you have power again. Aren't showers just the greatest thing???? Nutella is great, if unhealthy. :)

PeggyAnn - Kombucha is a a tea made with a kombucha "mushroom". It's actually a symbiotic colony of yeast and bacteria that acts on sugar and tea to produce acetic and lactic acid and glucuronic acid. So...... this means that it helps your liver detoxify your body, gives your immune system a dramatic boost and is refreshing and good for you. It's said that it can help with those suffering from cancer or help prevent cancer. It's a fermented drink which is good for the ol' digestive tract. Folks have been drinking it for thousands of years and those that do drink it on a regular basis seemed to get sick less and there's a low to zero rate of cancer among them. I remember my mom doing it when I was younger and after reading Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, I've decided that I need to do this again. I need to get my family on this and make it an every day drink for my family.

Penny - I love the sound of your cabin! I dream about living such a simple life but I'm afraid I'd want to have solar/wind power because I'm a spoilt brat and like it that way. :) I've lived simply without power for short periods of time while in the mountains and it's great. But I'm thinking on a full time basis I would miss the luxuries far to much. Things like a deep freezer! lol

Well it's a new day and it feels like Fall out there. Lets see if I can accomplish anything today!!

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  07:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Megan, please thank care of that knee....that is so sweet of you to think of our Darlene when it come to the Breast Cancer run...don't over do it...make sure that knee heals completely first... It amazes me that the schools have no air conditioner...It's tough enough sitting all day but to have to do it with no air conditioner is just torture...honestly we should do better by our young people..

Chermine, Ahhhh the sound of success....glad you got your pears finished. I am going to have to get the ladder out next week and start picking pears. The one's I can reach aren't quite ready yet..so think I can wait a few more days. I can't wait to do things with them this year I've never done before.

PeggyA, I see that Kimberly explained Kombucha for you...it is so good for you..to me it taste like apple cider when it is ready to drink...

Luanne, yeahhhh glad you have electricity again. Last year when the snow took ours away, I don't think there was anything I enjoyed more when the power came back on more than I did the shower...wow...so glad you were able to take one and to finally get you so clean cloths. If you like chocolate and hazelnuts I promise you will love nutella.

Kimberly, thanks for the nice compliment. It was an interesting. We lived there 4 yrs. But now our deer camp is just as peaceful to me. I love the simple life..DH and I are looking into solar/wind power too...after we were without power for a week we decided we needed to do something.

I want to share this pic I just took of my horse Jiggy...can't believe he was just standing there with the water hose in his mouth...even stranger than that, not sure how he got it turned on...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  09:40:50 AM  Show Profile
Yea for power Luanne. I dread losing power in the winter. That would be a disaster for the old water system. I have a small wood stove and it barely heats the house.
Penny don't you wonder sometimes if our animals are laughing at us as we try to figure out how the managed something.Thats a real good one.
Kim I am going to do a few more canning projects but not many this year. Vacation set me behind on outside chores. Its pay for play time now.
Peg I had an iron do that rust bit as well. You just have to put up with the wet spots. I just figure it means the fabric needed to be really wet.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  10:36:04 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies!

The baby is doin okay. She's back to runnin through the house at light speed, jumpin off anything she can climb up on, and keepin her mom a nervous wreck! LOL! She still has a heck of a knot on her little forehead and hollers if it gets bumped, but she's back to normal.

I've been super busy puttin the house back together and catchin up on the laundry and stuff. I have been checkin the porch and updatin my prayer list. I am glad our east coast ladies are okay and gettin their power back! I bet you all have a ton of catch up work to do! Wish I was closer to help out a little.

Since the garden has mostly flopped, I'm gonna be usin my empty cannin jars to store extra grain products. I have been stockin up on wheat, oats, and noodles. I need a way to keep the drugstore beetles out of them, so, empty jars to the rescue till I can afford the good airtight containers.
I just need another rubbermaid tub to store the jars in to keep the light out.

I'm off to work on those jars of grain!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  1:23:19 PM  Show Profile
Afternoon sweeties!
Thank you all for the prayers and advice. I really like the thought of saying, "I'm Switzerland!" But then they'd expect me to bring chocolate (well, I usually have chocolate, but they might expect me to share. )
Cherime - the book description you gave was so good, I went to amazon, ordered it that day and it came today. I'm ready to dive in. You mentioned depression and I think that is something I've been feeling but not wanted to acknowledge. Thank you!
Darlys, Peggy and all you others who have worked similar jobs. Amen, and thanks for the encouragement. It's always beneficial when you find out you're not alone and others can relate.
Julie, I look forward to checking your etsy out anyhow. Don't know how you do all you do as it is!
Kimberly, I was going to ask about kombucha but you've already answered that. Thanks. Now to find out where you get it and how you make it. Any sites with that info. you'd recommend?
TLTammy and Darlys - thanks for the baked goodies, I'm back on the calorie counting wagon and I love how your things have none!
Penny - hugs to you! You mentioned living in the Clinch Mountains of TN and all of a sudden I felt the need to read a "Sackett" story. Louis L'Amour - my favorite. He always described Clinch Mountain people as resourceful, too - sounds like that hasn't changed from the setting of his books. (Yes, I know they weren't real people, at least not to most people - but I choose to believe 'cause I want to be a Sackett when I grow up.)
Megan - you're such a sweetie. Good health and good times to you with your 5ks.
Luanne - so glad you got your power back! Nothing like a shower with your own stuff.
Hugs to the rest of you!

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Edited by - staci860 on Sep 02 2011 1:27:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  1:51:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Porchies~

It is a beautiful day here but so hot in the sun.

Deb~ Glad to hear you weathered Irene. I am praying for all those hit hard by the floods and the tens of thousands without power (still). This is the start of a long and frustrating road for them.

Luanne~ Hooray! Power on!

Cherime~ I'm with you no power=no hot water here. And I love awarm shower inthe morning to wake me up and get me going.

Tammy~ I loved your butterfly story. I am going to have to come up with a name for my students...I just have to ponder it a bit.

Kimberly~ I am so jealous that it feels like fall there. It feels like a hot summer day here. As long as it doesn't get to humid I can take it.

Penny~ I laughed right out loud over the picture of your horse with the hose in his mouth!

Megan~ Don't over do it - take care!

Well ladies I am still in the middle of bringing furniture and all back into the house from the garage. It is the perfect time to sort through things and donate, recycle or throw away. It's feeling pretty good! Hope you all have a peaceful evening.

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  3:09:08 PM  Show Profile
Staci aka Swiss Miss, I don't know how I do everything I do either. I feel like I sit around a lot. I guess I have a habit of getting housework & such done in the morning. Lunch time is fun/play time. After lunch is errands and dinner. After dinner is sit around time. I'm off the clock. Some days there's not much to do in the housework, errand, dinner department, so I get to play the whole day. I have seen Kombucha at the store. Not sure of the brand.

Today I went to a vintage/junk/collector's shop and bought some prepackaged vintage sewing goodies. It has packs of old needles, thimbles, thread. I'll be sending it along on my craft supply swap. I also scored 11 skeins of vintage Italian mohair yarn. Got an $11 discount since I bought it all. Need to tell the seller to keep an eye out for other yarns at estate sales.

I had lunch with a good friend who also sells soap. We've been keeping her occupied since her DD started kindergarten and she's never been away from home/mom all day. The restaurant was nice but I have to tell you I always feel like a little kid playing grownup when ordering wine/beer. I'm always surprised they actually bring it to me! Silly, I know.

This weekend DH is taking DD to visit family for the weekend and go to the beach. I'll be working and don't you feel sorry I can't go. I wouldn't want to. Not really fond of his family and we're both o.k. with that.

Have a good weekend. I'm leaving an ice-cold bucket of beer on the porch. I know a lot of you have worked hard and deserve one. Hugs and kisses!

Julie

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  5:41:30 PM  Show Profile
Staci - Don't know if I can recommend them or not because I haven't ordered from them yet but this is the place I'm going to try:
http://www.kombuchaamerica.com/kombucha-info/cgi-bin/kombucha.pl/index.shtml I just searched kombucha mushroom and went from there. You might find somewhere you like better. One recipe I've found is: 3 quarts filtered water, 1 cup sugar, 4 tea bags of organic black tea, 1/2 cup kombucha from previous culture (if no previous culture use apple cider vinegar), 1 kombucha mushroom. Bring water to boil. Add sugar and simmer until dissolved. Remove from heat and add the tea bags and allow to steep until water has completely cooled. Remove tea bags. Pour cooled liquid into glass bowl/jar and add 1/2 cup kombucha from previous batch. Place the mushroom on top of the liquid. Make a crisscross over the top with masking tape and cover loosely with a cloth or towel and transfer to a warm, dark place away from contaminants and insects. In about 7 to 10 days the kombucha will be ready, depending on the temperature. It should be rather sour and possibly fizzy with no taste of tea remaining. Transfer to covered glass containers and store in the fridge. When the kombucha is ready your mushroom will have grown a second spongy pancake this can be used to make other batches or given away to friends. Store fresh mushrooms in the refrigerator in a glass or stainless steel container. A kombucha mushroom can be used dozens of times. If it begins to turn black or doesn't sour properly it's a sign that the culture has become contaminated. Throw it away and use one of the new ones. We are truly sisters at heart. I love Louis L'Amour and the Sacketts are my favorite! I might add that I had a dog named Chick Bowdrie, another named Echo.... well you get the idea. The Sacketts were the first thing that came to my mind when the mountains were mentioned too!

Angela - So relieved your little one is well!

Well I think I can say I was somewhat productive today. Besides doing school I froze zucchini and beets. Now I'm off to make supper. Blessings all.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page