Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  8:29:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi all!
Darlene, I completely missed your post! I sincerely apologize, and I'm glad that you made it through the surgery and the earthquake safely:) Prayers and farmgirl love are with you sister!
Everyone, I'm glad you all made it through the hurricane safely.
Kimberly, prayers and hugs for you and hubby! I hope he recovers safely and quickly.
Penny, I'm sorry about your son! Big hugs for you:)
Big hugs to everyone! I finished my homework, so now I'm just trying to have a little writing time. Then bed! Have a tubular Tuesday!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  9:29:43 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, thanks for the good words on my online guy. I have such a good feeling about him. I just hope he get over his "cautious" state and just get it over with and meet me so I can either move one or get to know him. It's been since November...
I'm not teaching anything until Sept 9th. It also looks like they are going to schedule me for another set of kids classes. The kids there get out early on Wednesdays so we are thinking about doing a after school sewing class. We also raised the age limit to 9. It seems our little troubles were all with 8 year olds. I can't wait to get started.

Kimberly, I'm so glad hubby is OK. Scary with the staples.. you can call him Frank for a while. (Frankenstein).

Penny, I feel for you and your son moving away. I had to leave my sons in California when I moved to Oregon. ( I had to close my business and give up my house because of the economy). I miss them every day. Thankfully my older son calls me almost every night and my younger son calls at least once a week. It helps but I do miss them. I'll be saying a prayer for you. It is hard to have them so far away.

Glad our east coasters are getting along ok. Bummer about no power. Amazing how spoiled we are with our new inventions. I have to say other than freezing in the winter.. I loved the loss of electricity every once in a while. My house would be so quiet. No fridge running.. just a house full of candles and kitties all around.

Nite nite for now.

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  11:31:46 PM  Show Profile
Hello Porchies!

So glad that our lovely ladies seem to be weatherin the storm okay out east.

Kimberly... Tell Hubby we will be prayin for his speedy recovery and for a lack of brain damage, other than the testosterone induced kind they all seem to be born with! LOL! Just kidding!

I guess things were gettin too close to normal and quiet around here. My 2y/o DD ran full speed into the door jamb tonight. It was super scary! She was screamin, throwin up, and wet on the floor. I was terrified! She was so dioriented she couldn't get her arms and legs to work together to get herself up off the floor. I stood her up, but she couldn't manage to walk on her own. I wrapped her in a blanket and took her to the bath. After her sister rinsed her and I off we loaded into the truck and went to the hospital.

The dr was pretty concerned and sent her for a cat scan. She spent 5 hours bein tested for brain damage. They checked her eyes and blood pressure so many times that the last time they came in the door she tipped her head back, opened her eyes real wide, and stuck her arm out before they got a chance to say anything to her!

She didn't show any brain swellin or bleedin and she got her balance and appetite back before we left. The dr said she was a tough little cookie and should be fine other than a pretty nasty headache. I have to wake her in the middle of the night tonight and tomorrow night and watch her for any signs for the next 48 hours, but she seems to be okay.

I'm a wreck, of course, and the emergency room was full of family who stayed with us till midnight, so tomorrow will be a cranky day for alot of us. I'm so wound up from the whole thing I can't seem to lay down and rest. I guess I'll do some research for my winter gardenin projects and try to learn something so this night won't be a total loss.

I'll see you all later at a more normal hour!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  01:04:52 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly...be happy that you did not have to watch them staple your husbands skull. One year when we had our grandson...he was about 11 or 12...him and my youngest son and one of his friends wanted to go swimming so we took the 3 boys to the nearest Lake. All of a sudden I hear
a huge commotion down at the waters edge. We were over a hill spreading out lunch. Well, all three boys come up over then hill about the time my DH and I started down it...and Andrew was bleeding Everywhere (like only head wounds can do). And his head was split wide open on the top. Ours sons friend and Andrew had decided to pitch rocks at each other...just to see who could get the closest without hitting the other one. These boys were both ADHD. So, that ought to give you a clue as to why they did something so dumb. Anyway, I had to be the
one to take Andrew into emergency and when the doctor told Andrew he was going to have to have staples and it was going to hurt. Andrew was pretty cool with it...but when I saw The Dr. walk back into the room with a Gigantic Stapler and put that staple gun to my grandson's head
I thought I was going to throw-up. And I am not squimish around blood or medical stuff at all. Andrew is now 24 and his hair has a natural part in it from where his head was split open. Kids! So, I know just what your hubbies head looks like. Praying for a quick recovery for him.

Penny...crying is good for you! You can have my shoulder to lean on sister. Bunny and I both know what you are going through emotionally...and it is hard, but you will make it through. But cry and vent as much as you need to.

Cherime...the Rhubarb Tart went great with my dinner tonight. Thanks!

Angela...love and hugs to your little one and you! Oh, don't you just wish you could take their place and carry their pain for them.
Praying a quick recovery for her too. Hope you can get some sleep before she wakes up.

Megan...thanks for sharing yout teenager moment with us the other night. I love that you feel comfortable to do that. And isn't it nice
that girls now have the freedom to ask a boy to dance or ask him out if they want to? That wasn't done in my day. When I had just graduated from high school...my boyfriends parents had given him a Month Long Trip to Hawaii for his graduation gift. They had family friends there.
So, Mike ended up staying the whole summer...but he would have his guy friends who he trusted come over and take me out for a night just to help me not be so lonely. Well, to make a long story shorter...one of our mutual guy friends came to pick me up and he was just in cut off shorts (a very hot day and evening) and he had no shirt or shoes on and my dad just flipped out. I couldn't go anywhere with him until he put a shirt and shoes on. I was so embarassed but he had them in his car...so it was no big deal. But it was a big deal to my daddy, let me tell you. I ended up marrying my boyfriend who spent the summer in Hawaii...but I think his parents had just sent him there to see how
serious we were about each other. LOL

Bunny...that is funny that 8 yr old seem to be your problem students. I like kids from ages 0-5 and then I like them at age 10-15 and after that, I always threatened to put my boys in boxes and seal them up until they were 30, when they finally learn that "Hey, my parents really did know what they were talking about!" ~ Play it cool with Mister I have been burned and am now afraid of getting to close to the fire again. He will come around, I am sure. Hopefully before you both grow too old. Ha Ha!

Elaine...I tried to post some pictures tonight also and had trouble. I find if I wait until the next day...I can usually post them. Strange huh?

Madame Butterfly...glad that you are feeling a little better. How are your little butterflies doing so far? Speaking of little kids...
one of my Neighbors is about 57 and she always does fun things with the neighborhood kids. Well, one of the little boys who is probably five or six asked me the other day if I was Kathleen's Mother? (I guess because my hair is grey and Kathleen still colors hers)...I thought I was going to die laughing before I could answer him. He was so darn cute! And so serious! But I told him no, I was just her friend.
I am still chuckling over that though.

Deb...thanks for checking in so we knew you were OK too!!!! Praise The Lord!

Julie...what do you sell your Caribean Sea Salt Soap for? What does it smell like? And what is it's benefit? Is it for exfoliating?

Well My Lovely Porchies it is after midnight and I want to read a little bit in The Help before I go to sleep.
More tomorrow girls.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 30 2011 01:07:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  08:51:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Oh my goodness Angela, that is so scary, I am so glad she is ok...I can't imagine what you were going through...wow...God is good and so glad he watched over you DD. Try to get some rest and keep us posted.

PeggyA. It mean more to me than you know to have you ladies to lean on. In such a short time I feel so close to all of you...thank you for understanding and for the shoulder. I will miss him but I know that this is best for this time in his life, he hasn't been happy in Columbia, SC for a few years now and wanted a change, He looked all over the US for a place to transfer. I am glad that he chose MI since he does have family there. It would have been so much harder for me if he went somewhere that he had no one. But he is my BABY and I will miss him. No more just showing up on the farm for him...he loves it here and really is close to my DH. I love your story about your high school boyfriend...bet they were surprised when ya'll got married. I want to read the book "The Help" too...got to see if I can find it on line...hopefully it isn't to much...our real estate closing has been pushed back so might have to wait till that closing to get it.

Kimberly, I am so glad that you DH is ok. That is alot of staples for a rock accident. Bless him and you...Prayers going up for ya'll.

Again, thanks everyone for allowing me to vent and cry, it does help me feel better. I guess when he moves I will have more stories to tell.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  08:57:34 AM  Show Profile
Angela, how awful. When kids get hurt it terrifies one so much sometimes it's hard to cope. Been there done that and DO NOT want to do so again. With DD being a type 1 diabetic have done too much of it. My heartfelt sympathies.
Penny, I know how that feels. Having my grandchildren and greatgrands way down in Oregon is hard. I have missed so much. As to rhubarb, it mixes the best with strawberries and it can be extremely tart. I like to chop it up and then put it in a pan with just enough water to keep from burning it and simmer on the lowest flame I can get for as long as it takes to create rhubarb butter. Then I add the cooked berries. That way I only have to add a tiny bit of sweetener, in my case honey. Excellent stuff.
Bunny, my DH was about as gun shy as a guy could get, I was number 3. I knew he was a good man and just needed someone who really cared about him and not just getting their own needs met. He put me through quite a few changes but his need for companionship kept him circling around until finally it all worked out. We have a lot of good years before he went home to the Lord. Our marriage was good enough that I don't think I could find a better partner, and we certainly were partners.
Kim, God certainly is good, all the time. :-)
Peg, I have a bunch of pears someone gave me and I am waiting for them to ripen. Pear butter here I come.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  09:42:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies. Just getting ready to go to market. I made another batch of soap with a new recipe today. I'm trying different recipes in the hopes of finding just the right bar of soap. Penny, the face cleansing oil is unbelievable. It's one of those products people don't think will work but then try it and are hooked. It has a blend of 2 carrier oils, which don't clog pores, and 3 antiseptic/antibacterial essential oils (rosemary, lavender, cypress). It's calming to the skin since it doesn't strip the skin. I don't have to use moisturizer afterwards. With calmer skin there's happier skin, less breakouts, and great on rosacea. It only takes 3 drops to cleanse the face. I sell it in one ounce bottles. It is on my Etsy. My husband loves it also since it can be used for shaving and it keeps him from breaking out on his forehead from sweat. The lotion I make from a pre-made base that is all organic and eco-certified ingredients. It's a lot of fun experimenting with different scents and it doesn't take hardly any time at all to make them. Peggy, I'll have to try the sea salt soap again. I don't like the way it turned out. Too much salt. It is for exfoliating. It's basically the same salt as bath salts. The caribbean scent is what's called a proprietary blend of different essential oils. Basically it's a secret recipe from the company I order from. I sell my soaps for $1 an ounce which is the going rate down here. So a typical bath size bar will run $4-5. I also do special orders in bulk rates(lower price). So if you make holiday gifts/baskets it's an easy solution. I'm hoping to get things on Etsy listed and organized soon. It takes a lot of time for me to write the copy for the product description.

Kimberly! Oh my gosh! That was quite a blow to his head. I hate mowing because of rocks. DH says we surely must have polished them all smoothe by now.

Penny, I'm sorry your son is moving so far. You'll have to keep a lookout for good plane fares.

Elaine- I'm glad you're safe and sound. 5 days is awfully long. I know some people can go fine for 1 day, ok for 2 days, losing it at 3 days, and crazy by 5 days. Without the internet and cable tv, some people just can't handle life without the conveniences. Sad really.

Tea Tammy- You're absolutely right. Porch food has no calories and it's a cinch to make! I'll leave something yummy for everyone today.

Angela- My DD did the EXACT same thing. Ran full speed into the door jamb. She instantly had an ostrich size goose egg on her head. I had to cover her head and hide it from DH seeing it as he would've flipped out. And he's a nurse. Kids will be the death of us I swear! Glad she is alright and toughed it out in the hospital like a big girl. If you haven't tried Melatonin for relaxing and getting some sleep, it's a big help. It's natural and cheap. Or catnip tea.

Well, ladies thanks for the break. Time to get back to work. I did however make some delicious brownies for you while I was typing this. I'm throwing in some vanilla ice cream, too. Enjoy!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  11:56:24 AM  Show Profile
Angela - WHOA! That's scary stuff. My five year old son played that trick on me twice, with the same door within a couple weeks of each other! So I understand the fear that flowed through your veins. I swear children are looking for a way to kill themselves and drag us into the grave with them!! :) Glad she's okay. Tough little cookie.

Ladies thank you so much for your kind words and prayers. I think my hubby is doing well. The friend that is an EMT came this morning and changed the bandaging and was very pleased with how it looked. Said for a 24 hour wound it is healing nicely. So that's good to hear. I'm a big chicken liver when it comes to blood and injuries but I forced myself to watch so I could do it next time and it didn't look bad at all. Whew! So I'll be able to handle it next time. :) His main complaint is that his neck and shoulders hurt. I guess having a 10lb + rock dropped on your head will do that! No signs of any brain trauma he's still himself in every way. Blessed beyond measure and so thankful for it. All praise to God.

Have a great day all.

Kimberly

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  1:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Kimberly, thank you, thank you, thank you, the peaches look wonderful, canned 13 quarts and am so glad you shared how you did it. It was so easy that way. Thank you so much...you have been such a blessing.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  4:33:18 PM  Show Profile
YEAH Penny!!!! So glad it worked well for you. And so happy I could help in some small way. I've often felt that I didn't have anything I could share with others but I'm discovering that maybe I do. :) I've actually taught a couple of ladies how to can because their moms didn't. Wait until you taste them this winter. MmmmmmMmmmm you're going to end up canning a lot more next year!! :)

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  5:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Kimberly, I have always put mine in the freezer but once I saw you post about canning them I wanted to do that instead. Thank you. I've been canning veggies for years but have never done fruit. Thanks again...they are so beautiful.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  5:13:42 PM  Show Profile
LOL I'm the oppostite Penny! I can most of my fruits and freeze my veggies!!! Except for all the dilly beans, dilled carrots, pickles etc. :)

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  8:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!
Bunny, I hope the guy comes around. If he can't make a decision, then that's his loss. And that's pretty funny that the 8-year olds are the worst!
Angela, that must've been quite an experience for a 2 year old! Prayers and hugs to you and your DD. :)
Peggy, that's kind of funny! I have so many things that I don't like about the way boys carry themselves (hats off to the side, pants halfway down their legs, etc.), that I was pretty impressed that the guy I like doesn't do any of those things! And yes, I think it is pretty great that we can ask boys to dance if we want to. I just need the confidence to do so!
Penny, at least you know your son isn't going to be alone, which I think is definitely less scary than moving somewhere where you have no one!
Kimberly, thank heavens your husband is recovering well!
Another evening of sitting on the porch with my sisters! Today at rugby was a little hard. We ran hills for at least ten minutes, which I'm going to feel in my butt tomorrow for sure (I was climbing my stairs and I felt it a little already!). But other than that, it was a good practice, and good night. The temperature is cooling a little, so hopefully that means fall is on its way! As much as I love summer, fall is my second favorite season, so I'm excited for it to come! Have a marvelous Wednesday everyone!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  12:34:08 AM  Show Profile
Megan...well look at running those hills like this...You are going to have buns of steel girl! It will be worth it in the end. (no pun intended!) Ha Ha!

Penny and Kimberly...I am even different than both of you. I use to can everything...and now I freeze everything! I think age makes a
difference too. Once you go through menapause...you no longer want to be sweating in the kitchen over a hot canner and stove...because
you sweat all the time and you hate it. :+) At least when you freeze everything you can stick your head and hands in the freezer and
cool down for a few minutes. Ha Ha!

Kimberly...how is hubbies head today? Has he had a headache or anything? I hope not. Did he get pain meds for his head? I hope so.
Not fun!

Angela...how is your little angel doing today? Poor baby...I feel so badly for her and you. Hoping you got to rest a bit this afternoon.
Been meaning to mention to you how much I have been loving that Rose Jelly you sent to me. It is so good. I am kind of trying to stretch
it out to make it last longer (not sharing with my hubby is one way)...he thinks Rose Jelly is a bit too feminine for him anyway. But it
really has been delightful. Thanks so much for going the extra mile on the ornament swap and spoiling us with your excellant cooking.

Cherime...I have never had pearbutter before but it sounds good. I love applebutter so I am sure I would enjoy pearbutter too.

It has been a much cooler and overcast day today...but the weather man assures us that we are going back into the HOT weather this weekend. OK girls now don't laugh...he is talking mid to high 80's. I'm thinking... that would seem like a bit of a cool down for some of you gals who have had to deal with 100+ degree tempts for weeks on end.

Today I re-arranged my seasonal decorations. Decided if we weren't going to get any Summer, then fine I would decorate for Fall. Actually, just in the last few days I kind of feel like it's time for Fall. I'm like you Megan...it is my second favorite season. I enjoy them all but love the colors of Fall and the crisp and crunchy leaves beneath my feet.

Well, I am off to read more in my book The Help. Sweetest Dreams and cozy covers! (or just the sheets if it's too hot)
Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  08:04:45 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies, I'm poppin' out with some lemon-lavender scones and a pot of Lady Grey.
Penny - I'll be praying for you through this time of transition. My kids are still teens and I'm not ready to even imagine them being too far away.
Julie - I love to hear about the things you create. I just imagine the scents and feel relaxed. I'm due to head to your etsy and stop imagining.
Kimberly - so good to hear that other than a possible new "part" in his hair, it sounds like your DH is doing well. I found out the hard way that my mom has no stomach for gorey things. My dad had hernia surgery several years ago and the docs weren't able to close his incision for one reason or another. Well, Mom couldn't handle the after care and I guess at that point I didn't live far enough away from them. lol. I got to go over twice everyday and remove the packing, disinfect and repack my Dad's tummy. oh, yeah. good times.
Cherime - maybe I shouldn't follow that story with anything about food but... I love pear butter. I just picked up a small jar of SF pear butter at one of the local orchards. Delicious on toast and cottage cheese.
Peggy - you always, always make me laugh- buns of steel - in the end.
Megan - you go girl! But then it seems you always are going.
TLTammy - so glad you're feeling better and found some meds. so that you're getting rested up and enjoying the butterflies.
Angela - wow! You always have exciting things to share. I hope you get a chance to rest and the your little sweetie is doing ok.
Luanne - do you have your power back yet? Hope so.

I could use your prayers. Working at a church can be a tremendous blessing but also has it's drawbacks. Right now we're looking for a new lead pastor and renovating our building. I'm the church administrator so I'm working with the board on both projects as well as being the lead on the renovation. Right now, I'm struggling to be diplomatic with different groups that have different ideas and agendas for both areas. Because I'm in this position, I know the inner workings of the projects which leads some people to think that I should be keeping them informed at all times or that they can influence things through me. At the same time, I am a member with my own opinions on many things. It is a difficult balance to find at times. So, any insights you can share and prayers you can lift would be much appreciated.

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  08:42:32 AM  Show Profile
Staci, what a difficult place to be in. Will be praying for you. I got a book by Elizabeth George, note that there are two of them and one writes mystery stories set in England and the other books on Christian living. I had no idea that there were two different people with that name writing. Anyway, got a book on loving God with your whole mind. Very interesting reading so far. Stayed up a bit too late last night with it but, good stuff. She had issues with depression and how she overcame it is a lesson in living. I do not have depression problems right now, probably did after DH died, but her words hit a chord and I am looking forward to reading more this evening. The part about relationships was right on.
Kim, you have no idea how much knowledge you have until you start talking to others and find out that you can help them more than you realize.
Peggy, one of my bosses wives loves to make jam, butters and jellies. She made a cantaloupe butter that I hoarded, made one small jar last almost a year. My DD once made banana butter that was so yummy I licked the spoon clean each time I put some on toast.
I am praying for one more dry and at least 50 degree weekend so I can finish my outside wall and get it painted. Last Sunday was so lovely and now we have State Fair weather, RAIN! Drat it. Come on sun!!!

CMF
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  08:56:24 AM  Show Profile
Stacie...I do not envy you your position at Church. I was a Church Secretary to 4 Pastors at one time, and working for them was the
easy part...it was the Congregation that was the difficult part. Like you say...every body thinks YOU should keep them informed and
abreast of what is going on or they just call to give you their two cents (on everything) whether you want it or not. I will be
praying for you! I have no words of wisdom on this issue but I will pray that God gives you some! The Scripture says, "If anyone lacks wisdom let him ask..." So, I will be asking for you! One of the first things I want to ask the Lord is why He left His Church in the hands of mere people? Because we can really mess stuff up without even trying. LOL! I have seen Churches split over choosing the color of the carpet or the roofing or the color of the building or what color the new pews should be. Or should we have pews or chairs.....and on and on and on and on... I was also in Leadership in the Church for over 30 years in Women's Ministry and being in Leadership you learn more about people than you ever wanted to know. After 30 years and coming down with Fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue...I am now a pew sitter and I
really like the view from where I am at. I still teach an inter-denominational Bible Study Group that I have been teaching for 23 years. They are my God given "Little Flock" of Soul Sisters and that is as close to Leadership as I want to be at this stage of my Life. I tell people all the time that I am a Christian because of Jesus and despite The Church. And it's TRUE! The Church is a disfunctional family!
OK...I'm stepping down off my Pulpit now...before somebody pushes me off. LOL

OK My Porchies...Enjoy all of the beauty the day has to offer.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  09:00:02 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. Hope everyone's love ones are mending well. Angela I can't imagine your poor little one going through that. I would be so scared. I'm glad she is ok.
Kimberly, sounds like hubby is doing ok. Maybe he needs to wear a helmet at work? Just tell him all the cool guys are doing it.
Megan, I'm thinking this guy is just not that interested in me. He sounds nice but there have been guys that I didn't want to meet for one reason or another. I can't blame him. I just have this feeling and wish we could get past the email stuff. Then if he isn't interested.. I'll move on and leave him alone. Keep up that running. I wish I could do now what I did in high school. I know many of us older ladies would not have the weight issues we have now if we did. Lugging around 170lbs in running shoes is just too hard these days. So keep it up!

Peggy, I agree with the canning and hot flashes. I'm having them big time right now. I have a big iron in my sewing room that heats up big time. After a while I have to go outside to cool off. When I was teaching my kids sewing class, one of the girls asked me.. "you're having one of the hot things huh". "I said yes", she said "I can smell you sweating". So nice to hear! lol

More sewing today. I finished up some small items I'm thinking about putting on Etsy. I'm working on a quilt pattern today. I have to give in an start writing the directions pretty soon before I forget. I have 3 patterns due in October to pay for my fabric dies Accuquilt gave me. I'm learning though to take my time. I always rushed through a process and now I leave a quilt up for days and look at it each day to see what I can add or remove. I feel like I'm finally get the hang of the process.

Have a wonderful hump day!

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  09:57:44 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Porchies!

My husband went to work this morning. I bandaged up his head and he has a shower cap along to make sure nothing gets in there. He's planning on getting caught up on paperwork and has an appointment with someone so he's going to try and stay away from the dirt until the scabbing is all in place. But obviously he is doing well!!! He's taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen back and forth, like you would do if a child has a bad fever. But honestly he says his head doesn't hurt, it's his neck and shoulders. Thank you to all of you again for caring and praying. I know that people have been praying for me because I'm not one who does well with stress and I'm a worry wart but I've handled this amazingly well, which has to be God because it's not me.

My mom went into menopause very early so I've seen first hand how the hot flashes and such make your life miserable. Not looking forward to it at all. My hat is off to all you ladies who are going through it yet still manage to be cheerful and of a lovely disposition. I want to be just like you when I grow up!!

Angela, how is your daughter? Good? And you? Hope you are all getting back to normal.

Staci, being in positions in a church is a difficult thing. The problem with churches is it is made up of people! But it's a good thing that people do get involved or nothing would get done. Just keep praying for humility, wisdom, guidance, discernment and God will be faithful.

Blessings,

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  11:27:14 AM  Show Profile
Prayers headed your way Staci and to everyone else having issues of oen sort or another.

We still don't have our power back, and the last we heard it will be Friday or Saturday. So, I'm jumping on and off here at work, but don't dare to linger too long!

Am working at our local fair after work every night, and will be there all weekend and Monday. It's a lot of fun, but I'm finding that the older I get the more ready for bed I am by the time I get home!

Hugs to you all,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  11:53:06 AM  Show Profile
It's been a while since I sat on the porch. Seems the Over 50 Group keeps my chair warm. And I see, some of you are here! I thought I'd check in and see what's to nibble on. Lemon-Lavender Scones and tea. How wonderful is that!

Staci, you can add me to those who truly understand your position. I was a church admin, too.

First church I worked at had two pastors who were, to say the least, challenging - in that their political opinions and approaches to ministry were at extreme opposite ends of the spectrum. I actually loved both of them. In spite of the differences they were both men of God and good men. Ah, and then - in comes the congregation - yes, there are three sides to everything. I was fortunate for the 10 years I was there - I called myself "Switzerland" - and never openly took a side. My opinions were between me and God. When I was asked how I managed working for those two pastors - I just said ... they are like a right hand and a left hand - when you put them together - you pray.

Both pastors eventually moved on and when the new pastor was called I moved heaven and earth to make him feel welcome. Unfortunately, the congregation would come to me with their concerns. The new pastor was furious and indicated that if I was on the phone with anyone, member or not, for any more than 30 seconds, he would rip out my phone and throw it against the wall. Nothing pleased him. I lasted about three more months. He held his breath and turned very red when I gave him my resignation.

That congregation suffered for three and a half years and a friend of mine said "it cost a lot to get rid of him." (Her words, not mine.)

The next church I worked at for four years: I was hired as the Volunteer Coordinator. The pastor told me "Your job is to love up this congregation. Lord knows they need it." Things were going well until some particularly mean council members took it upon themselves to insist that all church workers record the -exact- amount of time that was spent on each "duty" for a month. Guess how that went over? We were spending more time trying to make our time records than in actually getting the work done. I left (as did others) and I went to work for a technology company where my pay was doubled, the hours shorter and the people with authority were kind. I guess I'm not much of a role model.

My goodness. I just looked at what I wrote and I'm afraid I was venting. But, because it was part of my life's history, I'll leave it just the same.

Well, all I can offer you, Staci, is a slot at the top of my prayer list. I understand that a smile and genuine caring about member's opinions (more so, caring about what was going on in their personal lives) got me through a number of valleys. But it wasn't easy. I agree with PeggyAnn - the Church is such a dysfunctional family. But, there are some truly wonderful people there, too. Follow your heart, pray for guidance and be as sweet as you possibly can. The words "I'll have to think about that ... " bailed me out of tight spots many times over.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  4:28:52 PM  Show Profile
Just checking in to say HI! It took me a while to read through everything. Prayers to all who need prayers (and who doesn't).

I've been in school for the last three days in meetings and getting the students' books, meeting with my Para and just really enjoying myself. But I am exhausted.
Looking forward to a good night's sleep tonight!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  5:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Tears, tears, tears, DS just called he is leaving on the 16th, a month before I thought he was....He said Momma I know you don't want me to go...and I told him "no I don't, but I want you to be happy and if this makes you happy then I'm ok with it" I really mean it...but man this is hard. He is so sweet tho...he says Momma we will see each other at least 4 times a year. Ya'll can come up once and I will make the other 3 trips. It will be ok...he's trying to make his Momma feel better...Gosh I love that boy...He says he is going to come spend the weekend of the 10th with me...This is going to be hard saying goodbye...I know he is a grown man and has to do what is best for him..but dang he is still my baby...I love you David...be happy Son...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  6:05:01 PM  Show Profile
evening porchies
LUANNE hoping you get your power back soon..
ANGELA OMG your nerves must be totally fried how awful and scary thank the lord she is ok..phew!!!
well the rivers crested yesterday all around us..we are high dry and powered... thank god
but so many others are homeless and without power..i am praying for them and gathering any clothes and household items that may help when and if they can return home..are area was so hard hit and alot of people did not have flood insurance as they were never flooded before ...
the mall is now a lake the highways are a mess or closed
i am praying for all our sisters and they families all around new england and the midatlantic
blessings deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl

Edited by - debtea2 on Aug 31 2011 6:07:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  6:13:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi porchies, I brought a box of graham crackers and a tub of Nutella. Did any one bring milk?

Penny, I just want to give you the biggest hug! And I pray the the Lord with watch your boy.

Elaine, I am praying for you and your students I hope you have an excellent year. That goes for all teachers and student on the porch!

I can sympathize with church workers too, I did funeral arrangements for 5 years among other things at the Cathedral of St. Helena. I am grateful for that work, but I don't regret leaving that work to be a better wife.

Hang in there Luann! Having no power gets real old!

Kimberly, my heart stopped when I read your pleas for prayers! I am glad he is recovering beautifully!

Megan, you may have buns of steel, but i have buns of cinnamon! ha ha! I'm proud of you girl!

Angela, I hope your young one is OK!

My hubby and I have been painting the chicken coop! Now I have this large, very yellow structure crying out for a barn quilt! I know there have been posts about this, so I will re-visit those. I promise pictures of this project when I am finished. The hardest part is deciding on a design!

my blog: http://bushelnpeck.blogspot.com

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page