Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  10:16:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I see that most all of us had a good weekend! Mine was pretty good. On Saturday, I went to dinner with my Dad and two cousins, then we stopped at one of the many church festivals going on around here. Then on Sunday, my Dad took me to church, and we went to the parish that my Nana made her first communion in, which was pretty special for me. Then we went to a few bakeries to get some deli and baked goods for us and my Nana. The day was perfect because my Nanu took my three cousins and I swimming pretty much all afternoon. It's been a scorcher here for the past week or so, and it's only supposed to get worse! But it's better than winter, so I shouldn't complain! I hope everyone has a fabulous Wednesday!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  09:46:42 AM  Show Profile
Well last night went a bit better with the brat (aka df) and he did give me a goodbye kiss this morning. He got home over an hour before I did and apparently spent the entire time cleaning. Of course one of the first things I heard was "Since I'm not going to get any sympathy anywhere today" bit. His boss sent him on a job where he had to get under a car which either backs my theory that he doesn't act as crippled as he does at home or his boss has had enough to. I'll be gone all evening tonight so I'll be able to get away and get a break from it. I was going to cancel my bellydancing class tomorrow to get ready for the bbq this weekend, but having second thoughts about that and think I will go.

Angela - I'm going to pick up some of those white willow pills you suggested.

Bunny - There are days I wonder if I really want to get married again so I know where you're coming from. It was so much easier when I could decide what I wanted to do and not worry about a partner's wants. I would be a lot healthier if I didn't have a male in my life since I use to use my evenings to take long walks with the dogs and do yoga. I had time to read and sew too. They can be so flipping high maintenance at times.

I'm pretty excited, I get to attend my first MJF local group meeting tonight. We're doing flower pounding and trellis making for projects. It will be so nice to meet like minded ladies and hopefully make some friends. This group is about an hour north of me so I'm not super close, but it's not bad either. I brought an apron to wear too :O) It's too far to go home and then go the meeting since it's just north of where I work so I'll do a bit of shopping and grab a bite to eat before heading up there.

Stay cool everybody, they're saying it's going to be a scorcher today.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  11:02:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies. Still pretty hot here. We do have a nice cool breeze every once in awhile. Since I got my compost pile fixed up, now I have to keep up with it. Turned it and watered it today. Working up the nerve to go back out and get one of the garden beds prepped. I found a website that could be beneficial for some of you, too. It's called Smart Gardener (www.smartgardener.com). It's free to register. You input where you live, your garden's orientation to North/South, how many beds, what size/location. You pick what you want to plant and when. It will give you a garden plan of what to plant where. It tells you which companion plants will work and which won't. It's supposed to send emails on what needs to be done each week. I'm going to use it as a guide but will inevitably change a few things.

Here's a pic of tomatoes I canned. The tomatoes were free from a farmer at the market who wouldn't be able to sell them. I added onion, garlic, rosemary, basil, and oregano. I did these in the pressure canner. I'll give one back to the farmer. The other pic is kitty napping on my quilt.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  11:34:40 AM  Show Profile
Julie...very pretty jars of tomatoes! Very pretty sleepy kitty!

Have A Beautiful Day My Porchies. Here is a Special Thought For Each Of You:

"To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the World."

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 22 2011 12:12:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  5:37:26 PM  Show Profile
Wow,it's been quiet here!
RFM Tammy, I hope that you had a good bellydancing class!
Julie, what pretty tomatoes!
Peggy, that is one of my favorite quotes!
Today was all study study study! I have my final tomorrow for my summer school class, and I'm pretty confident after spending the day studying. Then this weekend is all relaxation! I hope everyone has a wonderful Friday!
Megan

Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  6:37:50 PM  Show Profile
Bunny - We usually have a few days or a week (or two!) of super crazy hot weather, but generally speaking, average temp is 25-30C/around 80F, with little humidity. It's cooled off now, to I think a high of 25C for the next few days. Thank goodness!

I'm just about done my dress that I'm making for my cousin's wedding. I should rephrase that now: My aunt is making it more than I am :s. I'm kind of scared of her sewing machine, b/c I don't know it & don't want to screw it up! We could have been done it last night...but the size I made it is slightly smaller than what it should be (imagine that. Nothing like having an article of clothing that you're making for yourself not fit, even though you made it larger than the size you are!). Aunty Lynn thinks that it should be easy to fix & maybe I don't have to put a zipper in it! Haha. The yarn I wanted for the shawl does happen to actually exist outside of my mind (!!!), of course it's after I already ordered some different stuff, but I ordered the new stuff that I actually really wanted to begin with anyways. (Can ya all follow that sentence?? lol) I keep checking my mail to see if the yarn is here & it's not :(. Hopefully it's here tomorrow, since it will be a full 2 weeks since I actually ordered it (just counting business days). I'm going to go to bed early tonight, and I get to sleep in a bit tomorrow!! Yay! I'm hoping that tomorrow is a good day :).

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  6:49:11 PM  Show Profile
Hot, hot, hot here! Nothing like my family in Oklahoma though. We are going to Michigan soon to visit friends and swim in the Great Lakes. Will be a nice break.

Beautiful tomatoes! I have never canned but I have to learn very soon. Must go pack now.

Night lovely ladies.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  6:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Pam - isn't it frustrating when you find what you imagined in your head after the fact. I think it's probably the bane of crafters in general.

The Dandelion/MJF meeting was great. Wonderful group of women. I seriously thought about stealing a couple chickens to bring home - don't think she would have noticed lol. We did the flower pounding which didn't work very well for me and some needle felting which I enjoyed. Have to agree with the ladies that it's an awesome stress reliever lol. I'm looking forward to next month's canning and herb swap.

Megan - thanks - the bellydancing class is always fun and I have a lot of fun doing it. My stomach and hips get quite a workout though from the 90 minutes of working out and it's not uncommon for me to be sore for a day afterwards. A couple weeks ago was my one year anniversary of training with my instructor so she gave me two saries which are 10' lengths of fabric that you wrap around your body several times and then pleat the remaining. Beautiful fabric.

Farmgirl - that site sounds like it would be great. I'll have to check it out.

Stay cool everybody :O)

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  7:50:27 PM  Show Profile
good hot evening
i feel like i live in the dessert OMG is it HOT
101 and its night whoa i am not complaining because
i'll be wishing for this in december january & february whens it 10 below...brrrr
and the snow just keeps coming..
so at least i can do things outside just slowly..LOL and then jump in the pool to cool down..
julie gorgeous tomatoes...
tammy sorry about your brat (DF) maybe hes needs a buddy his own age to vent with..
i am some watermelon and mint smoothees so help yourself not baking today..LOL
blessings deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  11:46:09 PM  Show Profile
Hello Porchies!

You should start to recieve your packages soon for the ornament swap. I was supposed to have them to you all last month, so I added in an 'I'm sorry' gift. You each got a jar of homemade jelly or jam. I hope you all enjoy it.

I also forgot to include the little note with the boxes. I had written them all out and they were still sittin there on the table when I came home from the post office! LOL! It apologized for bein so late and told you that the ornament doubles as a picture hanger. You can slip a photo into it and hang it on your tree. An angel to hold your angels for the season!

My mom took the kids to the park today, so I got 3 hours of quiet and the house to myself. I laid on the couch, in the a/c, with a glass of chocolate milk(which I don't let the kids have so cant drink it around them. wink! wink!), a bowl of rice puddin, and watched Beauty and the Beast the tv series on netflix. Not the most constructive use of my time, but definitely fun and relaxin!

My poor Hubby left for work at 6am and it's now 2am and he's still not off work. They got a call for an emergency water line repair and he agreed to go. These jobs usually only take a few hours, this one turned out to be broken underneath a concrete pad. They had to get a jackhammer and bust up the concrete, then dig out the area, replace the pipe, bury it, soak pack the ground and level it, and now they are cleanin up the area and gettin ready to mix and pour the new concrete. He is so tired and has to ride home on the motorcycle. I'm worried about him, but I know he'll call me and go to a friends house up in the city for some sleep if he needs to. At least they said he wouldn't have to work tomorrow. He's kinda happy about a 3 day weekend, just not the way he had to earn it.

I have to track down 2 new gages for my canners. Mine are gettin too old and are off by 5 pounds now. I'm still gonna use them till I find some new ones, my beans will be ready to start cannin this week I think. I will also be ready to start makin my tomato sauce in a few weeks, but there is absolutely nothin wrong with my water canner! LOL! The 9 cases of jelly and jam will attest to that!

I'm gonna replant my carrots, beets, turnips, parsnips, lettuces, cabbages, and rutabagas. My Hubby wants to try for a late fall harvest of corn and okra, which we never even got to try to plant this spring. I'm also gonna get some things goin in the greenhouse inside this week as well. I read that you can uproot cabbages and put them in a cool basement with a grow light and finish them out in shallow tubs of soil. I'm gonna try if they aren't ready by the time they need to be pulled.

The way food prices are goin has got me really scared. I have so many people who rely on me to help them supplement their food supplies and money just keeps gettin tighter. I need my garden produce to keep all of us goin. Hubby and I have some really crazy plans to increase our food this winter. We have some ideas for window growin of lettuces and chinese cabbages, homemade trough style pea vine trellises for the greenhouse, tomato plant tubs with carrots and beets around them, and onions and anything else we can find thats selfpollinating on the upper shelf. I'm gonna get my family through this one way or another!

I know there's plenty of potatoes in the garden ready to dig, 160 foot double planted, we will be fine through the winter on that. Of course there is plenty of green beans for several winters. We have used very little of the meats from the freezers of late, so I can make that stretch a good bit more with one more deer this year. I am tryin to buy up extra rice, wheat, flour, oats, and yeast each week, before it becomes cost prohibitive. I have lots of bakin soda, bakin powder, cornstarch, cocoa, and pectin. I will add more if I get what I need of the other stuff stocked up.

I would suggest you girls take a look at your pantries and at least stock up some on canned goods. I have cases of veges and dried noodles under my bed. There are a lot of experts that say this winter will be worse than the great depression as far as food prices go. It will carry over into next spring. Summer should see some normalcy, but there is 6-8 months of extreme pricin and shortages alltogether predicted.

I just realized I need sugar, coffee, tea, and sodas on that list! I wouldn't want to run out of decent drinks seein as it's our only real indulgence most days. Plus, I wouldn't want to run out of candy, cookie, and cake makin supplies with christmas comin up. That's our main gift to everyone each year and they all expect it and look forward to it. I have quite a few family members who show up to the get togethers and head straight for me to see what I've baked for them that year! I guess I've spoiled them! LOL!

Did I mention I've hidden bags of chocolate chips behind the deer meat every week for the last few months? I won't be without chocolate! LOL!

I guess I better try to lay down for a few hours before the baby wakes up and stop ramblin and babblin on here so much. I get lonely when Hubby has to work late like this. Sorry for this novel I've composed on here. See all of you later!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  08:42:06 AM  Show Profile
Angela, you are so busy with that wonderful garden. Have you thought about selling your harvest to local restaurants? It may make you extra money to buy other things you need. I know where I use to live there was a couple that had used their land to grow organic produce and sold it to the local restaurants. It was always nice to see what was in that week. (I worked as a cook at one). The main thing is to see how the prices are for them regularly and see if you can beat them. The place I worked at even bought local eggs.

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  09:09:51 AM  Show Profile

Elaine...look what flew in at my house yesterday! Will get a pkg off to you next week. Thanks!

Pam...atleast you have attempted to make your own dress...I wouldn't even do that. I don't like
Machine sewing at all (goes back to my mother's abusiveness in trying to teach me). Anyway, I am
sure with your aunts help you will get it all accomplished and be proud of the job you did.

Megan...I love that quote too. By the way I went back in and changed the misspelled word. lol

RFM Tammy...I should take up belly dancing again...I have some hips and belly that could use some
dancing off.

Kathryn...this is the first year in four years that I wont have to travel to Grand Rapids Michigan
to see my Grand-daughters, because they moved back to Seattle. I did enjoy Michigan once I got
there but I hated the long flights and short layovers.

Deb...I envy you the hot weather but I hear you guys are getting way too much of it. I would just like
a week or two of it so we could at least say that we actually had a summer. I would stay pool-side too
if I were you. Sounds heavenly! Hot weather and swimming!

Angela...I ordered me some of the White Willow Bark drops off of Amazon yesterday. Found they had them in
all forms. I hate capsules because they get stuck in my throat..so thought I would try the drops. Just $7.00
and no shipping because I ordered a book too. ~ You are the most industrious woman I know, I swear. I don't
know how you keep up with yourself girl. You make me feel worn out just reading about all you do. l0l
So glad to see that you actually took some "ME TIME" for yourself. Good Going Girl...those times are never
a waste of time they are much needed and most women don't do that for themselves. I am proud of you!

Bunny...how is your weather in The Dalles? Are you still sewing your little heart out in your sewing room? I should be out taking my dogs for a walk but I have a lot I want to get done today while I feel good. Have to make those days count!

Well I am off to work on a few projects...will check back in later.

Have a Funtabulous Day,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 22 2011 09:21:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  12:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Peggy~ She looks so happy at your home!

Well ladies, it is official - I live on the surface of the sun. I was walking across a parking lot today and my flip flops melted and I left a trail of black goo. It is too hot for the beach. Too hot to be outside and now we are on water rations(odd/even days).

I saw this sign on a local church bulletin board:

Satan called.
He wants his weather back.

I was laughing so hard i was crying - too bad the tears evaporated as soon as they hit my face! (lol)

Stay cool, stay hydrated, stay safe!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  1:43:52 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, we are having cooler than normal weather here. The cherry farmers are having heart attacks though. Rain and then warm weather isn't good for cherries I guess. Makes them split open.
I have been sewing a lot. I have a new idea for a pattern company. I thought of it years ago but it is really getting to me that I haven't done anything with the idea. So I'm making a quilt with the technique and already have the pattern written. I'm going to try to teach the class so I can work out the bugs in the pattern with students. I haven't heard anything from the TV station owners so far. I may just have to keep traveling down my idea road until something catches on. My main goal is to make a living doing what I do. Not working a non-creative job just to earn money. Hopefully my mom will hold out with me not making big bucks long enough to make it come to pass. I'm getting the impression she wants to move to Utah with my sister. I guess I'm not entertaining or rich enough to do what she was hoping. I have stopped praying for what I want and I just ask for help.

Anyway, back to work.
Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  3:24:25 PM  Show Profile
Elaine...that was such a hysterical Church Sign...I loved it! I was laughing out loud here at my computer! That Is Some Mighty
Hot Weather When Your Flip-flops Melt off your feet! Mercy Me Girlfriend!

Bunny...If you are now praying for "Help" instead of for what you want then you are now right where God wants you. Some times we just have to move over and get out of God's way. Usually when we get to the place you have reached God can do His thing in Your Life and He
usually tosses in some of your wants and desires to boot! So, you are on the right track girlfriend.

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 22 2011 3:27:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  4:27:42 PM  Show Profile
Bunny~ You have so many creative ideas - one or more of them are sure to be a hit. you just have to be persistent! You are in my thoughts and prayers every day. I have just started quilting and everytime I cut out a pattern I think of you. I have great faith in you - I know something good is going to happen. Just keep the line of commuication open with God. You work like crazy on yur end and God will take care of God's end!

Peggy~ My poor flipflops! It was at least 105 degrees here today and that was without the humidity added in. When we walked outside and breathed in it actually hurt our lungs. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse. I think I am going to hunker down here and craft all day long. We are on more water restrictions also. Kind of ironic. I live next to the ocean yet water restrictions are a way of life here.

Enjoy the evening ladies!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  4:42:07 PM  Show Profile
PeggyAnn: I did attempt it....but my aunt is totally the one doing all of the work! I told my Mom that I wanted "Sewing for Dummies" for Christmas (or a similar book), and she says "You don't need that!". Umm, yeah, I do! Especially when she's not just right down the street or across the way! She's 2 1/2 hrs away, whereas my aunt is about 30-40 min (depending on which way you go/how fast you go on gravel roads lol).

Elaine: That's a hilarious sign!

I hurt my foot somehow last night/today & can hardly walk on it. Dumb thing. It's not swelled up or anything, it just hurts. Thankfully it's the weekend!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  7:20:37 PM  Show Profile
Pam~ Usually when I am teying to learn something new I get those "...For Dummies" books. I try the library or see if a friend has it. Sometimes I see if I can swap for it on paperbackswap.com. I do ove those books because they assume you know absolutely nothing (most of the time I don't lol) and explain it in language that is easy to understand and follow!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  7:51:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi sisters!
Kathryn, I hope you have a great trip to Michigan.
RFM Tammy, I have seen saris before, and they are beautiful!
Angela, I'm glad that you were able to have time for yourself! I hope that you're daughter's doing well with the pregnancy, I know you said she was having problems with losing weight. I hope your garden plants well, too!
Peggy, I didn't even noticed the mispelled word! I'm just a sucker for good quotes. Goodreads.com has a quote-a-day thing that they can email you if you sign up. I love getting my new quote everyday!
Elaine, that sounds like an awesome sign! And it sounds like you had the same terrible thick air we had!
Bunny, you are so creative, and you should not settle for a mediocre job that you're not going to love. Don't give up your dreams either! I'm sure that when God starts getting you what you need, He'll keep your dreams in mind:)
Today I took my final for my summer class, and I think I did pretty well. Now for the rest of the summer I can not worry about school at all! Although, school starts a month from Sunday, so I don't know if I have that much time to chillax! Oh well, I've been waiting for school to start since it let out. I hope everyone has great weekends:)
Megan

Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  07:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
We finally have a sunny day and it might be over 70 degrees! I hope everyone with the heatwaves are taking care of themselves and their pets.

Bunny! Go for some crafty goodness! Portland and the surrounding areas are just ripe for the picking.

The dogs kept me up all night because Mark played and didn't get home until early morning. I think I'm going to try to lay back down and catch a few hours of sleep.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  07:59:57 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies!
I've missed you all! Our trip was long (but wonderful), Can't wait to move to Idaho permanently. Wanted to say thank you to everyone for thinking of me on my birthday...I love the teas, cards, and little gifts. Heck, I got excited just over the cutely decorated envelopes I hope everyone is staying as cool as possible, it must be just miserable. Going to try and catch up on what I've missed while gone. I hope everyone is well!

Dana-farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert

Edited by - Rxgirl on Jul 23 2011 08:00:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  08:02:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies. Lovely morning over here. We were supposed to go to our church's district convention but we woke up late and DH is still sleeping so I guess we're not going to go today. We had some friends pick us up the information that was given.

DH and I made a big decision. We've decided to list our van up for sale. It's a Mazda MPV. We really like it but we have the farm truck and another car. We've paid off enough on the van that if we sold it we could pay it off and get the other 2 vehicles running very well (new tires, belts). We'd then be able to pay off the car within a few months and we would have no car payments. Yesterday I realised we're paying $700/mo in car payments with a year to go on both. So cross your fingers and maybe it will work out. We're not in a rush so we can take our time with buyers.

Not sure what I'll do today...something fun I bet! Have a good one.

"DD, are you SURE you washed your face in the bath?"

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  10:28:50 AM  Show Profile
Elaine, that is terribly hot!

I just got back last night from a whirl wind jaunt up the Pacific Coast. Went to San Diego first. Had planned to see my half-sister and then after the arrangements were all made, she decided that we had nothing in common and did not want to see me. But I found a really inexpensive place to stay down there right in the heart of things. $49 per night, 4 blocks from the waterfront and 3 from the trolley station. $5 got me a ticket to ride all day on the trolleys and busses. I went to Seaworld and the next day went to the zoo. Had a good time. Got to see someone I had not seen in over 50 years. Got to see my four great grandsons and are they ever cute. Visited with my sister and her husband as well. I put over 1500 miles on a rental car in 6 days.

My ex-husband died while I was on that trip. I was a bit amazed to discover that he named me executor of his will. How strange. I will need to begin dealing with that one next week. As well as getting back to work and finding out what I have to deal with there.

I was ever so glad that the temps on the coast and eastern Oregon did not go as high as they could. Bunny, I drove through the Dalles on Wed. Praying for you.

Love to all you ladies.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  4:19:41 PM  Show Profile
Wow Cherime. How strange that your half sister wouldn't find the parent you shared as something in common. I kind of understand though. DD's half siblings are much older and never ask about her. Sorry for the loss of your ex. He must of thought you were the most mature level headed person he could trust. Maybe he made his will when you were still married? Glad you had a fun trip anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  06:14:45 AM  Show Profile
Actually just redid his will. He knew that I would do the right thing I guess. And FD you are correct about a parent in common not to mention she was around until I was about 12. I think my oldest daughter had something to do with it. She and my niece have a hate on for me for various reasons. My oldest has convinced herself of things that are supposed to have happened that didn't as far as I was concerned. But as my ex was an alcoholic and his brains so pickled that his memory was not good past a day and a half, I do not know what really went on and probably never will. Spoke to my younger sister about it all this last visit and she told me that my oldest kept adding to and embellishing on everything as the years went on. Ah well. At least got to see my 4 great grandsons. That was good.

CMF
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page