Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  11:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Good afternoon Ladybugs!

Luanne~ It's good to hear that your mom and BF are doing better. Still praying for all of you! :)

Also sending lots of hugs and prayers to all you girls and your families with the river and flooding.

I went to the doc. She says I've got a respiratory infection. BLUCK! It's my third infection in a year. Anyhoo she asked me how I do on Amoxicilian. I gave her a thumbs up. She usually tries to give me one of those new-fangled drugs and then I'm back in her office three days later still sick. After the pharmacy I was still feeling ok so I trucked over to Tractor Supply and got my latest copy of MJF!! I'll be curled up with that and a cuppa hot tea later.

Is this crazy? On facebook yesterday, one of the guys I went to school with suggested I sniff warm salt water up my nose. Have any of you ever tried this? He says it works. I wonder if he's yanking my chain.

Well I need to walk the dogs and get the kids from school. See ya'll later.

Hugs~ Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  1:23:13 PM  Show Profile
Melanie... There are a lot of people who use netti pots. It's a little tea pot lookin thing that is used to deliver water into the nose. I don't know exactly how to use them or if they work. I don't do well goin under water in the pool, so puttin water in my nose scares me. I bet you could research them on the internet!

Peggy... We must be on the same wavelength! I'm doin laundry and my towels are my biggest pile out there. I've been sick and the baby isn't sleepin cause she is too, so laundry has piled up pretty high out there. I've almost dug out the wash room floor though! I will see the tile out there tonight! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  4:19:59 PM  Show Profile
evening porchies
my MIL left today and i'm celebrating LOL
with dark choc & strawberry tea really good
i also made devils food cupcakes with dark choc frosting
really needed the boost after she left...LOL
thank the lord for tea and cake
we are getting alittle more snow tonight
i loved when its fresh and clean.. but one day and its dirty and my poor car really
needs a bath..and i good cleaning inside , in summer and fall i use bunches of fresh herbs from my garden
makes the car smel so good ..in winter i use essential oils to freshen it up
love lavender everything..
night and blessings ladies

http://jerseyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  5:54:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!
Pam, feel better! Healing vibes are being sent your way:)
Peggy and Tammy, the knee is doing much better! I'm walking so much easier, and day-to-day living is just easier! I don't have to depend on my Mom as much, and I can be left alone without her worrying about me!
Welcome to all of our new farmgirl porchies! You'll love it here :-)
Last night was my friend's birthday sleepover, and it was so much fun! We stayed up laughing and having an amazing time. Then today we walked up to our old grade school to say hi to all of our old teachers, and it was so much fun! It brought back a lot of memories, and we were able to see lots of things that have changed in the past year. It was also good to see some of my favorite younger students! Then I had an eye doctor appointment, where I found out that my left eye is a lower strength than my right eye! I also picked out a new pair of glasses, so that made it better! And now I'm relaxing before school tomorrow. May your tomorrows all be filled with happiness!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Merry Heart Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Janet
Ackerman Mississippi
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  6:46:45 PM  Show Profile
Well, gals, I have MIA for quite a while now. I have read about 10 pages tonight. I have hurt at all the prayer request, etc., laughed at all the funny stories and jokes and felt good when read posts like Tammy talking about her contentment and all the gardening already started and in the planning stages. I have missed you all so much but I have been forced by life's circumstances to take a sabatical from the internet. I hope to be back on here more now.

We are two sentimental people and had houses when we married over 9 years ago and decided to move into the other for winter as it would be more efficient. We are slowly, ever slowly working on both of the houses. Well, I still don't have internet at the one we moved into. With three kids to take care of at my age, December was such a stressful month and I cut out as much as possible and I was still stressed. I just kept thinking if I can just make it through Christmas, I would be ok. Well, I came down with the flu on Christmas Eve. I was some kind of sick. Also, the youngest child came down with it 2 days later. I am finally over it except some coughing but now I am trying to play catch-up (but not too fast as I surely don't want to relapse). I sure hope that you all did have a Merry Christmas and I am sorry that I wasn't in a position to chat at that time. I did appreciate all the beautiful cards and ornament. I meant to send some out but I just didn't get everything done that I wanted to!

As for the toothaches, have you tried oil-pulling? I know that it works for gum disease and I have heard that it helps with teeth too. Go to earthclinic.com and see if they have any solutions.

On the sinus problems, have yall ever tried taking extra Vitamin D? They say that most everyone is deficient. It hasn't stopped everything for us apparently but it has certainly helped with sinus and respiratory problems. You can get info on naturalnews.com and other places.

I hope everyone has a great night and I hope to chat again soon.

Peggy, I am hoping to send you something this week.

Janet

Have a great and blessed day!
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  8:24:22 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to all the new porchies!

Megan- so glad your knee is doing better, you and hannah are so active I can just imagine how stir crazy you've felt

Janet- good to hear from you and thanks for checking in...I've been wondering how you've been

Melanie- the salt (saline) rinse for the sinuses do help with congestion and allergies too; just make sure if you do it that you follow the directions or get a pre-made saline solution. You want to use one that is the same concentrationas your body (0.9%) or else its going to sting like crazy!

Weather here has been in the 60's so we've been outside all day. Its been so amazing to get some sunshine in the middle on winter. Needless to say, I've got alot of porch reading to catch up on. Thinking of all of you who are sick or taking care or loved ones who are sick. Also for everyone facing crummy weather...sending warm thoughts your way!

Dana-farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  8:54:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls and Welcome to all the new porchies. Good to meet you all. Those of you in pain, in floods, having problems.....you are all in my prayers. I feel so helpless for you....except for the Love, Mercy & Power of God! He IS listening girls!
Melanie, I love my nettie pot. When I go out in public and people are sneezing & coughing around me, I just come home and wash my sinuses out with that warm, comforting salt solution, and gargle warm, 50/50 peroxide water and I feel fine. I use to pick up germs so easily out in public but not any more.
Well Girls, I took all of your "TeaBags" mail to the P.O.Box today(to save the poor mailman's back tomorrow) LOL so start watching for them. *giggle*
We're expecting an ice storm tonight after midnight, so I guess tomorrow will be another day like last Weds., where we snuggled in, made grub in the crock-pot and watched movies.
Well, sleep well my porchie-sisters.
Love ya'll!
P.S.Has anyone heard from Darlene...or did I just miss her post on here somewhere? hmmm....

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  11:49:53 AM  Show Profile
I love my Neti pot! It's important to make your saline solution with NON-iodized salt, and you need to find the right water temperature to be comfortable. I'll admit it takes some getting used to, but the instructions that come with the pots are pretty clear and if you follow them exactly, you won't go wrong. The water just flows into one nostril and out the other. You won't believe how good it feels to get the gunk out!
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  1:13:10 PM  Show Profile
Wow, the porch has been so busy. Welcome to all the newer ladies.
I haven't been able to get out here much. My whole schedule has been thrown off since my DH is home and looking for work. I think of you all often and am enjoying reading back and seeing what everyone's up to. Praying for the many needs.
Looking forward to the tea swap and reading more of the gardening plans.

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  1:40:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Porchies...those Netti Pots look and sound gross to me. lol I couldn't use one of those if my life depended on it. But I do know that people that use them are firm believers in there results and use them religiously during cold and flu season. We all have those tried an true remedies that work for us but others turn their noses up at. Me, with my Indian heritage I am a firm believer in taking a cold rinse after you take your shower. Most people say..."Hey, I am all warm and toasty why would I want to freeze myself before I step out of the shower?" Good question huh? Well the answer is that one of the reasons we catch so many colds and flu is that we go outside with all our pores wide open after a hot shower. Have you ever wondered why at swimming pools they tell you to take a cold shower before you go in to swim? Same reason...if you close those pores you are less liking to get any bacterial infections etc from the water. I rarely get colds or flu because of this practice. Remember my ancestors (and many of yours) took baths in lakes and streams (even having to break the ice in early spring in order to get to the water). Trust me it really works (now watch I will probably getting a raging cold after bragging about how well this work) ha ha ha!

Janet...my sweet pen pal...good to see you back on here. I just sent you out a letter today! Really had you on my mind big time!
When you get it, pour yourself a cup of tea or coffee and sit down for about 10 minutes...it's another novel. lol I may not write real often but I am wordy!

Judy...we probably need to give Darlene an email shout and see how she is doing. She gets busy with her quilting and Dr. Apptmnts and forgets to come up for air some times and take a breather. She is such a kick in the pants that I miss her when she goes MIA.

Pam...how is your dad? Again when I watched the news last night it looked like people were evacuating from his area and hiking out because of that bridge closure. Hope he wasn't one of the stubborn ones who decided to just hunker down and wait it out. That water is just so volatile right now. I am ready for dry weather and no rain. I am sick to death of rain...like most of our Farmgirls are sick of snow.

Mara...you are right about getting the right solution in the Netti pot. Too much saline can cause more damage than good. I learned that the hard way when I use to gargle with salt water for sore throats. You are suppose to just use a small pinch in a glass of water and I was filling the entire bottom of the glass about a fourth of an inch full. It started causing my throat to bleed. Home Remedies are great if you know the right formula...but you should never guess or think "Well, if a little is good for you...than a lot more should be better." Wrong!

Hey Teacher Tammy, RFM Tammy and Judy...I got my Teas today from Culinary Teas. This is what I got White Chocolate Rooibos, Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Tea, then the sampler pack of: Chocolate Mint,Carmel Cherry Cheesecake,Strawberry Shortcake, Carmel Creme Brule, and Butterscotch Carmel Toffee. Anybody want to have a tea party with me??? I am about to partake of one of them...I just might have to flip a coin to decide which one first. lol Teacher Tammy...I am so glad that you shared your secret tea places with us. My budget will never be the same...but I am going to be a Happy Girl!

Dana...our weather has been unusually warm too. In fact I have just been wearing a light weight wind breaker outside for the past week. It is crazy. But our warm weather came with rain. We are suppose to get a two day break from the rain starting tomorrow. I will enjoy that immensely! Hope everyone is all well at your house now!

Megan...sounds like you're have been having fun! And I am so happy for you that things are going better with that smaller brace.
Soon, it will be no brace at all and you can go run, hop, skip, and jump and hopefully just in time to get back to Spring Sports!

OK Deborah...I am thinking your choc. cupcakes with rich dark choc. frosting would go really good with my new teas! Don't you think? I'll share if you share! lol So, how long is hubby gone for? It is nice to have a break once in awhile. When my boys were young...whenever dad had to be out of town...we would all four have a camp out in the living room and pop-popcorn, pick out our other favorite junk foods, our favorite bottled soda's, rent movies and just have a great time. A couple times my DH's trips would get canceled and my 3 boys would be soooo mad. They loved mom's idea of Camping Out/inside. We all cherished those times of bonding. It was a good thing I had boys because when I was young I was a Tom-boy for a good many years. As a parent I was the one who pitched baseballs with them, played hoops with them, rode-bikes with them and hiked with them and they always were my walking partners when I walked five miles a day. We also had once a week date nights just one of the boys and myself. We split the times up...so they each got individual times with me. Back then my poor husband got left out alot but he worked long hours. He has been able to make his own time with the boys over later years.

Hey Angela...did you get the laundry caught up? I still have one load of towels but have to wait to get more quarters for the machines. Oh, I miss having my own washer and dryer in my Apartment. It is so much easier that way! I guess, I shouldn't whine...at least I don't have to go off site to do my laundry. That would be even worse!

Melanie...I like how you call us all "Ladybugs". That is cute! And I love ladybugs and so does my little grand-daughter. We kind of have a ladybug thing going on between us!

Luanne...I wrote you a big ol' long response yesterday and then my computer froze-up and I lost it all. Grrr! I am going to have to get a new computer. I am going back to a Lap Top. I have better luck with them than PC Table Monitors. ~ My husband does not have Kidney failure but he is starting to show signs of leaking protein from his kidneys...which I hear is not a good thing. But they are just keeping an eye on him for now. My dad did have kidney failure and heart problems...but you are not at the point of needing to hear what I will share...if your BF takes a sudden turn for the worse then we'll talk. Right now we will just pray that he stays stable and regains some of his energy level. The energy and over-all strength can take 6 mo.-1 yr. to come back. So, you might just have to learn to do some fun things with girlfriends and allow him the time he needs to re-coop. But believe me he will feel better and less guilty if he knows he isn't holding you back from living your life to the fullest. From the picture you sent of the two of you he looked quite a bit older than you. So, don't think you have to just sit and grow old with him...that won't be good for either one of you.

Well, I guess I should get something else accomplished today besides my Mail-Art and dishes. Will probably hop back on later tonight.

Blessings,
~peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 18 2011 1:55:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  3:26:14 PM  Show Profile
I am a new one checking in. Come sit on my porch with me and swing on the porch swing. For all you gals in cold climates, it's 75 in the high desert today and just wonderful. There isn't any wind either so I am doubly blessed. I read on Yahoo last night that over 100 scientists are working out the theory that CA is overdue for a 100 year old flood. I don't know which is scarier, that or earthquakes. The birds are out there singing and eating away. I haven't checked eggs yet but I did get 5 yesterday out of 9 hens. I look forward to meeting all of you and having a good chat. Had better go check those eggs.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  4:00:07 PM  Show Profile
I got my laundry done and the dishes are done as well. Then I thought I'd treat myself to a nice break and watch a movie on netflix. My DH got it for the girls this week. I chose badly for a relaxation time. I've been wantin to see Food Inc for a long time and they had it on the instant download list. I was anything BUT relaxed! That movie left me with nightmares and a sickening feelin!

I have been proactive about the whole thing though. I have located a few CSA's (community supported agriculture)that I am gonna be joinin. One is a meat only, all grassfed organic, one is for eggs, all natural organic, and one is for veges and fruits, all local and nonGMO. I also have found a cowshare program to get raw milk. The raw milk will cost me a good bit more than I would like, but the meat and vege ones will save me some as well, so it almost balances out. I also am considerin takin my aunt up on her offer of lettin me put a milk cow at her place. It's only a 10 minute drive there and she said she would only charge me a share of her hay cost for the year. I'm not sure which way to go just yet.

Betty... Welcome to the porch!!

Well, I guess I better get off the computer and try to get some dinner fixed.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  4:01:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls! I got a couple of e-mails from Darlene, so I know she's still out-there. lolol
My nettie-pot came with pre-measured pkts, so I'm safe with amounts. And our local Pharmacy carries the refills cheap.
Well, we didn't get that ice storm at all last night. Thank the Lord!!! :)< It went around us I guess. Today it was upper 30's and cloudy, then misty rain in late afternoon. Now they're saying rain mixed with snow overnight. We'll see.
75 in Calif. Good for you Betty. I enjoy it thru you Lady. Sounds wonderful. I sure hope you don't see that 100 yr flood. You're such a sweet Lady, we wanna keep you here on our porch with us. So glad you came over to see us and "set a spell."
Peggy, sounds like you really like your chocolate when it comes to tea. hahaha Enjoy! I got a nice variety for DH and me. He likes the breakfast teas, so I got a sampler of those. It's his Scottish blood. ;) I like fruit, flowers & spices myself. Plus I got the butterscotch-caramel-toffee and the Choc-rasp-truffle to try some evening when I'm snuggled in with a good movie or book.
Well take care and stay warm & dry Gals!

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  4:56:44 PM  Show Profile
hey porchie
prayers to all in need
we got an inch of snow for a second and then it turned to icy rain all day
skated out to the car and could have paddled to work so much flooding from
the last storm 3feet and another 18inch ad then 1 inch what a mess
glad i didn't wash the car yesterday ...LOL would have been a hugh waste
it now covered in mud and lord knows what lol
JUDY i love my nettie pot and boy does it ward off colds and keeps the nose in check
and i'd love to share teas.. i'm drinking acai berry tonight to get a vit C boost,.
Betty i envy you and your 75 its cold here 24..want to swap LOL
have a good and blessed evening deborah

http://jerseyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  5:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Whew! I have been crazy busy! My dad is doing better than most in his area. Two houses are gone in his area and the tennis courts are floating down the Sandy river. He helped the volunteer firemen yesterday-cleaning up debris from the street and helping people out. He is a tough old bird!

I just bought the white chocolate kiss tea and LOVE IT! Now I'm in my footie pj's, watching scary movies and chilling out the pups. Ahhhh! So good to be home after a long day.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  7:08:20 PM  Show Profile
hey you sweet things,
so glad to see we have been a busy happening place. Welcome to all yall new sisters.

Peggy~ The strawberry shortcake tea you have is really good. I sure hope you are having goodies with the tea cause you know I will just fly my butterfly wings right over for a teaparty anyday.

Judy~Looking forward to your mail with tea...I will be watching that mailbox like a hawk now with big butterfly wings flapping hurry up.

I am plotting out my herb garden for spring. I am hoping what I planted will come back. But if not I have some thing lined up/ And hubby is going to allow me to have small garden so I am happy camper. I mean really yall I was not raised on a farm and it has taken me 20 years of being married to my hubby to figure out why I love it so much.

Today I began weight watchers. I want to learn to make healthier choices and lose a about 15 pounds. I am only 5 feet tall and with a few health issues that I decided I am not 20 any more so I might as well accept the fact I need to eat better. It was interesting and bit overwhelming but I made some new friends and who couldn't love that.

It is snowing here a bit so I am having tea and grading the little butterflies papers.

love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://butterflywings.wordpress.com
Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  8:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Tammy-I did great on WW. I did the points system. I really liked it and it was super easy.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  9:13:54 PM  Show Profile
Peggy-thanks for the all wishes, other than some teething we are all finally better. Got your ornament and tea today and LOVE them!!!!! Can't wait to try the tea tonight:-)

Tammy- I just started working out again, I want to get 20 lbs off by summer so im right there with ya. Hubby and I are thinking of maybe trying for one more kidlet but I get so fat when im pregnant that I need to get back to my regular weight before we go for another

Angela- how does raw milk taste? I've heard it has some amazing health benefits

Well im super excited, yesterday my boss offered us a small house on 5 acres in tahoe to rent for free! Gotta check it out and see if its liveable with little ones but free is a good thing. Then today one of my oldest friends offered me the cutest miniature horse for free (if she can't convince her husband to let her keep it...she already has one). I don't have too high of expectations but we shall see

Dana-farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  12:01:55 AM  Show Profile
Teacher Tammy...I think most of us are right up there with you...having the desire to loose 20 lbs myself. I know if I could just give up my sweets (chocolate)and get back to walking I would be fine. I only have two addictions in life...coffee and chocolate. And I am not sure I want to give either of those up. I like them too much. I love tea too but I love coffee more. Tonight I tried the Carmel Cherry Cheesecake Tea (first I had it with just sweetener in it) Then later (right now) I am drinking it English Style with milk. Great both ways! English style is my favorite though!

Judy...I did order a lot of Chocolate Teas huh? but I crave Chocolate everyday sense I went through menopause. So, I take it in any form I can get it in. LOL I know Darlene has been sending me email forwards too...so we know she is alive and kicken out there.

Pam...glad your dad is doing OK and that is awesome that he is getting out helping people in the disaster. That is very cool! ~ Hey I saw that White Chocolate Kiss Tea at the store the other day and if I hadn't just ordered all these new teas I would have bought some. Is it good???? Let me know! I am sending you an email later.

Betty...Welcome to The Virtual Porch, we love having new people come enjoy our Porch! Everyone is Welcome and no one is a stranger past the first visit. You will enjoy the friends you will get to know here. And we would all enjoy it if you brought your 75 degree weather with you! We're jealous!

Deborah...skating to the car does not sound like fun. We get a lot of freezing rain in the Vancouver/Portland area too this time of year. Sounds like maybe your weather is similar to ours...since you are dealing with flooding too and so are we.

Dana...hey, you are the first one I have heard that received her ornament so far. Yahoo! Glad it made it to you and hope you enjoy it. I had a great time making them. Every one gets the same basic ornament the only difference is everyone's colors are different and some of the embellishments are different. But this ornament ought to prove to everyone that the ornaments can be made very simply. If I can do it anyone can do it! TRUE!

Angela...sounds like you were even more inspired to get on the basic organic healthy way of eating for your family's sake. I applaud you farmgirl! That movie is a real eye-opener huh? Nauseatingly beneficial to watch.

Well, My Beautiful Porchies...I am off to read for awhile be for I go to la-la land and I need to re-heat and finish this delicious tea. Sweet Dreams!

Blessings,
~peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 19 2011 12:08:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  08:07:04 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, if I miss a day or two here there are ALOT of posts to read...lol. Sounds like you ladies are busy busy.
It has been spring like weather here in So. California this week.... the birds are chirping and, well this is unusual even for here in January =)

I have been searching for the ingredients to make my own laundry soap and I cant find 'washing soda' anyplace here! Do any of you live in CA and if so where did you find it?
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  08:45:14 AM  Show Profile
It has been unrelenting here with the cold. Usually the temp eases up into 20 or so and only dives to the minus temps for a few days. But better the cold than having your house wash away. I am praying for those that are in danger and will continue to do so.
One of my non-paying renters got a job, one that he was really happy to get. He was in radio as a dj for years and then when he got married went into the family business of storage rental instead. Now that the marriage has fallen apart he was unemployed and doing odd jobs. Not enough to pay rent but enough to keep him in necessities. The woman, they are just room mates by the way and sleep separately, she upstairs he down, has a chronic illness and really cannot hold down a full time job and without a vehicle here are out of luck for transportation. Anyhow, he got hired at the local radio station and knows that I was praying for them both and is so happy that God answered.
They were part of the homeless in the valley that our non-profit is wanting to help. They were sleeping in her car before it was repossessed and so they moved in to the apartment that I was trying to renovate with an eye to a bit more income but their need was too great to ignore. Later for that.
Meanwhile blessings on all and stay warm, dry and content and may our God supply all your needs.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  09:39:11 AM  Show Profile
Tammy - Tried my chocolate raspberry truffle tea last night. It is to die for - thanks for sharing it and the website. Any chance you've tried the pecan pie tea? It sounds delicious and I'm thinking of putting in another order.

Megan - have you got your scores back on your tests yet? Here in Michigan we have what they call the MEAP that if I remember is given in the freshman and junior year of high school. If you passed it with a specific score or higher you were to be given a $2000 collage grant for any instate college or university, but they did away with it due to budget issues and those that were getting it or anticipating it were left out in the cold financially with really no notice. Not nice to say the least. My son is in the middle of finals week. They increased their classes from 6 to 7 per day this year so they did one of the finals on Friday and he already found out he got an A on that. Hoping he does as well on the rest of the tests. Are you still liking the new knee brace?

Cherime - You are very kind to be helping this man and his wife. I can't even imagine being homeless and sleeping in a car here in Michigan in the winter and imagining it in Alaska is even worse. The homeless situation here is horrific with all the job cuts that have been made. They gave a number of homeless kids that are either living on the streets, in cars, or living cramped in apartments or houses with multiple families that was just heartbreaking. I just couldn't imagine that many kids in Detroit and this number was of those homeless. How do you keep from getting overwhelmed by it?

It's currently 25 degrees out but when I went out it was absolutely frigid. Wind chills must be dropping it significantly. We're getting ready to rip out our tub surround this weekend and put a new one in so the single digit temps they are predicting aren't good. I can't seem to tolerate cold well so this is definately not my favorite time of year.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  09:52:05 AM  Show Profile
Hello Porchies! We are 30/cloudy/sleey weather here. I'm ready to hop on a plane and head for the sunshine and 75 temps some of you have....just for a week...I'd miss my winter weather if gone too long. I could never live in a place where I couldn't watch the four-season-changes. I know, I'm weird. lol Ohio is getting to be the "Place to Live" anymore. All the relative I have living in the South are ready to move back here...their weather is worse than ours anymore. hahahah That'll Learn'em!!! LOLOL I really miss my Sis since she moved to NC 11 years ago. A day doesn't go by that I miss our "Sissy-Hugs!" *sniff*
Bren, I got my washing soda at a pool supply. I bought an 80# bag cheap. I know CA. has pool places, right??LOLOL I bought my baking soda at a feed store,40# cheap. That comes in handy for all kinds of things from cooking to freshner for the cat litter box to making cleanser to clean the sinks and toilet. Now if I could just find that borax in a huge bag/box, I'd be a happy camper.LOL
You gals be careful out there in the snow/ice/water&rain.And know that you all are in my prayers for all the problems life has delt you. I love you all so much, my "Porchie-Pixies!"
Enjoy your teas! I lift my cup to you!

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  11:14:56 AM  Show Profile
Peggy... I got the ornament and tea!! Thank you. The ornament is beautiful! My mom wants to borrow it as she loves plastic canvas items. I told her I might bring it over one day and we would work out the cut out pattern for her. She wants to make a set for her tree.

Dana... If you take the cream off the top it tastes very much like whole milk. If you shake the cream into it, it tastes richer and a little sweeter that whole milk. I like it shook together, but it makes store bought milk taste watery. My DH's aunt kept us in fresh milk for years, but then she had to give up her cows due to health problems.

I am very determined to get my family healthy and safe. I will make it happen, but it may take a little more time than I would like. I am stockin up on jars and plastic containers for freezin in. I am workin my way through every video I can find on health and food on netflix. I have a list of about 15 movies so far. I am learnin so much and knowledge is power.

I'm off to finish my chores so I can do some movie watchin!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  11:41:24 AM  Show Profile
Hey Angela, if you figure out how to make the canvas tea set pattern, I'd like a copy of that myself. I don't have a crafty bone in my body, but I might try that since it's TEA oriented! hahaha And good for you, begining the journey for you and your family, back to healthy. You go girl!
BTW, I'm having a cuppa Choc/orange tea with a splash of CoffeeMates Italian Sweet Cream creamer. YumYum!

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Jan 19 2011 11:44:00 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page