Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Downhome CountryGirl
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sam
Klondike Texas
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  10:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Downhome CountryGirl a Yahoo! Message
Hello ladies it's been a really long time since I've had the chance to come on the porch and visit for a while I have been quiet busy with school, kids, holidays, and oh yah don't forget we just moved. So it's nice to take a moment and visit with some friends. By the way we have moved to what we intend on being our place from now on, it's a blank canvas in the way of a farm, and the house has been moved in and is ready to be transformed. So I have so much that I'm looking forward to doing this spring the only problem that is standing in my way is it's black land I've never lived on black land before I hear it's really good for trees, shrubs, and roses so that's a plus. I've already got those started but I'm still scratching my head on the garden so if you ladies have any ideas clue me in. I do my best thinking while sipping tea on the porch.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  08:52:20 AM  Show Profile
Mornin Porchies! I am feelin a little better about my spring and summer plans. I was able to order almost all my seed last night. I was a little worried about gettin my supply before things got crazy.

I was at my local nursery the other day pickin up some potting soil and a few other things. I ran into the owner and we got talkin. She is the sweetest lady, believes in the farmers almanac and old ways of plantin and growin things. She said she is already gettin swarmed by the cidiots. That's her word for the city folk who have never touched fresh dirt but become instant experts after a 2hour internet search. She said one had come in and she happened to get her burpee seed delivery at the same time. The guy bought 5 packs of every kind that display held! She said it was enough to plant over a 1000 square foot garden! When she asked him about his garden he said he was gonna make a raised bed from his back patio. He said it was 20x10 foot, which only amounts to 200 square feet!

The lady told me it's been that way since the first of the year. She said her husband had said he was gonna mark half the flats of all the plant starts as reserved. That way when one of their regulars come in they can still get their plants even if the tables say sold out. Those of us who have been in that nursery for a few years are well aware of the couples hoardin habit to protect their regulars. Every year I have to ask for my onions since they are hidden away in the storeroom for me! She told me to get on my seed list and to let them know anything I can't get from my regular orders. She wasn't sure if she could track down my missin items, but she was willin to try.

I have found myself huntin all the good heirloom sites tryin to locate several things off my seed list. The weather made for somewhat restricted seed amounts. The worse the weather, the worse the seed supplies. Then you have massive amounts of people wantin to grow that don't know how much to order that are massively over orderin. My experience with several family members has led me to believe that seeds should not be list by weight. I have an aunt who ordered 5 ounces of carrot seed! That's ridiculous for only a 3 person family. I ordered a grand total of 1 1/2 ounces for cannin, cellarin, winter growin, and sellin roadside and I have 5 people in my family! I even tried callin a couple of local seed companies that have popped up in the last few years, some real mom and pop kinda places. They are all seein record orders and some of the stupid large orders from people they simply can't convince to cut back a little.

I have ordered extra seed for family members I know won't be able to order till tax time. I also began my garden assistance jobs early and have begun drawin up garden plans for all my people. I want them to get started on their seed orders and I'm gonna be offerin starts for their gardens from my greenhouse for a small extra fee. I have been on the phone most of last evenin and most of this mornin with all my gardeners makin arrangements for this spring.

I thought you girls might like the heads up on the possible seed shortages that most people seem to be expectin. I am orderin really early for me and am runnin into seed outages already. I hope you girls fare better with your preparations!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?

Edited by - natesgirl on Jan 16 2011 08:53:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  09:40:49 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon girls. Hello Sam. I'm new here and don't know you...yet. ;) I don't believe I know what black earth is. We do have an area of it over this way in a town called Hartville where they grow and sell veggies in the summer at roadside stands.They've built up the earth that way themselves. It's very rich in fertilizers and nutrients. But as for a whole farm of it, never heard of it. What's in the earth that makes it that way? Is it in all Texas earth? Just curious.
Angela, I love the "Cidiots" definition. Too funny. But very sad to think that they are buying up all the seed. How rediculous.
Well,it's spittin snow here 18 degrees, but the sun is trying it's best to peep out, not that it will create a heat-wave AT ALL!LOL
Have a great Sunday Girls. I have my "TeaBags" cards ready to go out. Worked on them last night.Love Yuns!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  1:00:51 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies,
It is a rather cold sunday here. Thought I would pop in. Have supper in the crockpot, papers graded, and ready for the rest of the afternoon.

Judy~Ok girlie, you asked for it. Here are my other favorite tea sites that I visit often and I do mean often. I mean what else is a tealady to do.

Adagio Teas http://www.adagio.com They have wonderful teas and often have sales and free shipping.

Harney and Sons http://www.harney.com They are a bit more expensive so when I shop there I stock up and then dream the rest oft he time.

The Tea Table http://theteatable.com I love this site. Very reasonable prices and free samples.

There is also a teatime magazine I subscribe too that is really fun to read.

Ok ladies all this talk of tea has made me think it is teatime.

love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://butterflywings.wordpress.com
Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Downhome CountryGirl
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sam
Klondike Texas
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  2:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Downhome CountryGirl a Yahoo! Message
Judy, I have lived in Texas my whole life ok in the same county since I was 2 and we have always lived on sandy land. But have incountered some clay mixed in with the sand in some places, and have know of black land which is a nightmare to me. It is said to be rich, but the most favorite saying that I have heard so far is that if you can stick with it through the dry summer months it will stick with you through the wet winter months. Meaning when it is hot and no rain in sight for sometime it will get hard as a rock and crack, but when it's wet it's not like regular mud it clings to everything and from there it grows (everytime you put down your foot it doubles and weight so much so it's not hard to loose your shoes/boots). It has a precentage of clay mixed in but it's black and nerve racking. The only thing that I know to do is to get it broke up and then add my own mixture of soil in with it to create a garden site.
This stuff is so bad that as soon as the weather and everything is right I intend on creating stone or brick walkways and adding to the grass throughout the yards anything to cover the soil in walking and playing areas.
And as far as the whole farm being this way I'm not the only one suffering the horses are having a time of it since we've moved out here, I have a mustang and bless his heart he has feet the size of saucers anyway but since it's been raining he comes up from the back of the pasture and it looks like he is wearing black gallon buckets on his feet. I'm working on the blue prints for our horse barn but that's still a ways off, I guess I could look at it as in they are building leg muscles. It wears me out just watching them.
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  2:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon, This is my first time here thanks to an invite from Judy- herblady55. Come join me on my front porch today. The high desert is having a glorious day of 75 with no wind. We can sit and chat and enjoy the mountains and the warm sunshine and the birds. DH filled the bird feeders today and I have doves, sparrows, red winged blackbirds and gold finches. I have three hummingbirds that have stayed for the winter and probably the same three that have been here for every winter since we moved here 5 years ago. In the summer I have a dozen or more of the Anna's, Costa's and later in the summer the Rufous. My roses are pruned and bushes trimmed and the bearded iris are ready for them awake when it's time. That's the scary part as the roses are budding out and we still have a long ways to go until spring. Our last frost day is April 15th but it's been later than that. I even saw a lady bug this morning. I'm sure all of you in colder climates would enjoy an afternoon of sitting on my porch and swinging in the swing. I have some tea but not as exotic as some of you ladies but some Earl Grey and some Twinnings. That's my English heritage for you. I will have to check out some of those websites for tea. Last year three of us here in the neighborhood went to a private tea to celebrate one of my neighbors birthdays. The lady who gives the teas only certain times of the year when her garden is in full bloom is one of our local artists and also a friend of the three of us so we had a wonderful time sitting on her patio, drinking delicious tea, having cakes and enjoying all the fragrances her garden had to offer. Of course it was before all our hot desert weather and it wasn't windy. I look forward to chatting with you again but I need to get back to my sewing machine. I have two more blocks to finish for a quilt block swap that I am involved with. The pattern is called Pink Warrior and the blocks are for people with cancer. They make lovely comfort quilts. Bye for now. Betty
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  2:57:01 PM  Show Profile
Betty this is my first time here too. I will head on over to your porch the weather sounds wonderful. Since it is 75 degrees I will bring you some southern swamp water to drink and some lavender cookies. The swamp water is made with 1/2 sweet tea and 1/2 lemonade and served in mason jars. I am working on some cross stitch so I will bring that over too!

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  3:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Tammy and Betty! That swamp water sounds like it might be good for my sore throat. Is it good warmed up some? And 75 degress? For real? It's 31 here. I am so not a cold weather kinda gal. LOL

Angela~ I LOVE hearing all about your gardening plans! And I am so grateful that you share them, as I am a "cidiot"-of sorts. LOL I have been trying to plan my garden. I've flipped through catalogs to ooo and ahh over all the different plants. I haven't placed my order yet though. Like I was looking over Baker Creek Seed catalog the other day and trying to decide what my family would actually eat, what I would be able to learn how to store, etc.... And my girls love brocooli! But do you know there are about 300 seeds to a pack! I was like "Are you serious?!" I mean yeah me and my girls love broccoli but not that much. LOL And it seems a waste to have that many seeds if you know you're not going to plant all of them. Ahh.... I really want to say that I admire your love for gardening and feel like I learn something new with each of your posts. Thank you! :)

The nasty sinus crud has decided to step and show who is boss. I got up this morning not feelingso bad. I walked the dogs and got a shower and then felt pootered out. I decided to lay down for a bit to let my hair air dry before going to the pharmacy. I woke up several hours later (about 10 min till 4pm) and that was only cause the dogs were telling me they couldn't hold it any longer. I guess tomorrow will be spent at the doctor's office instead of work. Ugh!

Well I am off to pick the kids up from their dad's house. I hope you all have a terrific evening!

Hugs~ Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  3:28:35 PM  Show Profile
Pam...Thanks for the advice on Bella. I just gave her some drops of Rescue Remedy...because she has been driving me insane with the barking since 5:30 this morning (when the first smokers go out to the Shack). Man they can not get that thing moved fast enough for me! No, I don't have water in her Kennel. She would spill it. I should try one of those Rabbit Hutch Bottles...she could very well be just getting worked up and thirsty. My husband and I read on-line that dogs sweat from their paws and tongue. And her paws are always soaked and some times her whole belly. Her hair is grown out right now because of the winter months so I am sure there are multiple reasons why she is sweating so much.

Teacher Tammy...thanks for the other Tea-sites but must admit, I for one have to wait after my last tea spending spree! I have ordered several times from Adagio. My oldest son also orders me teas from there. Very good. But what I liked about Culinary Teas was the wide range of Dessert Teas. I won't even check out the other two sites for awhile. It did go buy that Bigalow Green Tea yesterday and had a cup last night. It really is a nice mellow, smooth green tea. No bitter bite to it.

Welcome back Sam...nice to have you back on for a visit. Sounds like you have been really busy. I think I have heard That Black Earth is the richest of soils. Should be good for gardens. We have really rocky, sandy soil here...so we really have to build up our nutrients in the ground for growing. I wish we had good rich soil. But when I buy top soil I always get good black earth.

Judy...can't wait for your tea-card! This is going to be so much fun! I love little surprises in the mail instead of bills don't you all? For me a "great day" is getting Farmgirl Mail of any kind. This morning I since I got up early because of the dog and smokers...I sat in bed and wrote to two of my pen-pals one MJF pen pal and another Not. And later I hope to get my other MJF pen-pal written to. I tend to do all my letters at once. I don't know why...as it would be easier spreading them out. Makes too much sense I guess.
I was hoping to get to my mail art today but decided I needed to do laundry instead. Mail Art can wait another day or two but I am close to having to go naked if I don't do laundry...so, it really couldn't wait. lol

Angela...that is just crazy what you found out about the seed shortage. How strange is that? I know more people are getting in to gardening because of food prices but I didn't know we had a cidiot epidemic going on. That is just too funny! I am sure that if Farmgirls keep sharing their seeds we will all be OK.

Melanie...hope you are feeling better. Sounds like you really did your sinuses & lungs some serious damage not using a mask while working in that fire area. I have burned my sinuses and lungs while cleaning with bleach before...so I know it can be pretty painful for awhile.

Well, time to go get my laundry hung up and folded. Talk to you girls later.

Hugs and Smiles,
~peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 16 2011 5:32:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Downhome CountryGirl
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sam
Klondike Texas
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  3:43:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Downhome CountryGirl a Yahoo! Message
Betty, Sounds lovely on your porch think I will join you here it's 40 degrees and rainy. I can't wait til it starts warming back up and the birds come around. We have some that but not a lot out with the weather like it is. We have yet to get new feeders for them and houses. Which reminds me I want to do some research on bat boxes, there are so many mesquitos around here and I was told that bats eat hundreds of them a night and don't harm anything else.

Tammy, I have only heard only one other person in my life say swamp water and that was my husbands aunt from Louisiana. Thanks for clarifying what it was she is always giving some off the wall descriptions for things that perk my interest I think she just likes to get me ralled up.
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  3:57:18 PM  Show Profile
Melanie it is great warmed up! If I'm feeling under the weather I heat it up and add a shot of rum. Helps you to sleep. I tell you something that is great for a sinus headache. Take some flat round stone and put them in hot water. Pull them out and gently ( DO NOT BURN YOURSELF) lay them across the top of you checks and forhead while you lay back. It really helps the pressure. Hope you feel better soon.

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  4:54:49 PM  Show Profile
Hello and good afternoon all,
Tea lady Tammy can you recommend a best oolong tea?
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  5:28:34 PM  Show Profile
Betty, EarthMamma Tammy, and Sam...That is what is so Great about our Virtual Porch...the temperature is always just right, we have the best Farmgirls dropping by to visit all day and evening, our food and drinks are calorie free and this is the best place to laugh together, cry together, whine together and just share life together. We have lots of Rockers on The Virtual Porch, lots of Porch Swings, a couple overstuffed chairs, and the railings and the steps to sit on. So there is always plenty of room for everybody!!! Everyone is welcome and once you've been here you become an Official Porchie. So We are so glad you've come to join us on The Virtual Porch! I am sure all your Porches at Home are nice (mine is too but a bit small) but THIS IS THE VERY BEST OF PORCHES! No doubt about it!

Hi Bren...I like oolong tea too. We have a Cool Tea Shop in Portland OR called Oolongs and it is such a neat experience having tea there. It is like a Vietnamese Mud Hut with a waterfall-water feature inside and the tables are old shipping crates and the chairs are old wooden folding camp chairs. My favorite oolong tea there is called Dragon's Beard. Very good. But the whole tea experience there is much different than going to most Ladies Tea Houses...where everything is Fancy and delicate. I like both kinds of places...but my boys who like to take me on mom dates...like the Oolongs the Best.

Sam...that kind of Black Earth sounds horrid! I have seen that on Western Movies and I don't think I would like dealing with that at all. The black earth I was talking about is more loamy and not thick and sticky. Your poor horse. That sounded so sad. I could just picture him with big black buckets on his feet.

Well, the laundry is done and I am off in awhile to go to my favorite book store for a little Relaxation time with my hubby.

Blessings,
~peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 16 2011 5:37:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  6:03:43 PM  Show Profile
Bren,
I will give some thought on oolong. I have a friend who drinks it on a regular basis. I am mostly into black teas.

I finished binding my quilt today so can sew the binding down. Yeah!

Well time to cuddle up with a book.

love to you all,
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://butterflywings.wordpress.com
Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  7:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Welcome everyone! It's wonderful to have you here. I have been sick for the past couple of days with a toothache and now with a stomach ache. BLECH! I love Adiago tea, they have the best samplers. Okay, I'm going back to bed. I have to work tomorrow or I don't get paid.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  8:45:27 PM  Show Profile
aww (((Pam))) feel better soon!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  9:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Pam... I have been dealin with a toothache for weeks now. I am waitin for my DH's insurance to kick in so I can go to the dentist. I had heard from several people to use clove oil to kill the pain. I did a little research and found out it is too strong to use unless you're fond of blisters. It burns the skin.

I tried suckin on whole cloves, which was another reccommendation. It wasn't very easy to talk, drink, or eat that way. So I figured ground might work. It does, but it's not a very attractive option as it sticks to your teeth and such.

I then found out you can add the whole cloves to hot water and drink it like tea. So I added one clove to a cup of coffee. It was good and it worked real well. Then I put 5 or 6 in the pot before brewin the coffee. That worked better and you don't have a clove floatin in your cup all the time.

You could brew tea with the cloves as well and it might help the toothache. I also put the ground cloves around mine at night just before bed. It keeps the pain at bay most of the night and my DH says my goodnight kisses taste like pumpkin pie!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  9:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
I used vanilla extract last night and it took it away instantly. I put a little on a cotton ball and bit down on it. I also gargled with peroxide. I don't have insurance so if it last a few more days, I'll break down and dip into the savings.

On another note. My dad just called. He lives across the street from the Sandy river. It's flooding. The houses across the street are completed flooded and the river reached his driveway. They sandbagged around their house. The picnic table and the trees around are all floating down the river. The tennis courts down the street are completely submerged underwater. He says everyone is standing outside sandbagging and listening to rocks and boulders rush down the river. I told him to come stay with us or we can come up and get him but we can't get across the bridge to his house. He's fine and said that if it raises anymore they will find another way out and come stay with us.

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  12:14:44 AM  Show Profile
Pam...I saw the pictures of the Sandy River tonight on the news and it is not only at flood level but it is a raging river. And yes, you could see large boulders going down the River. One was so big I thought it was a Mini Cooper. I will be in prayer for your dad and everyone around there. Johnson Creek looked bad too and All of the Coastal places too like Tillamook and all of those farming communities are under water. We got 2 inches of rain in the last two day here in Battle Ground but no major flooding in our exact area...just very saturated ground. There are many many rock and mud slides from Seattle to The OR Coast with many highways closed. And more rain on the way...We might need Noah's Ark here any day! ~ Sorry about your tooth ache. It's good to know Vanilla works. The cloves is a very old but good remedy! Another good thing for infections in your mouth, gums, or outside your mouth like Fever blisters is L-Lysine 500 mg Dietary supplements. I use Walgreen's Nature Brand and it is under five dollars for 100 tablets. Excellant product.
I have a Crown I need to deal with that has infection in the gum and the L-Lysine takes the pain completely away and works on the infection too.

Well I am off to do some reading and relaxing myself Tammy!

Talk to you all tomorrow (oops...I guess later today!) lol

Thought for today: "A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery while on a detour."

May you only have sweet dreams my lovelies,
~peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  05:29:12 AM  Show Profile
I've got today off although I have a ton of things I'm hoping to get done. We ended up doing our shopping yesterday so I didn't get my cleaning done. I'm having lunch with a close friend which will be a nice break. I'm also planning on doing some candy making and baking of some Valentine treats but I'm wondering if I should wait on that because I have a feeling they'll be eaten before Valentine's Day gets here. Wish I could curl up on the couch and just knit and read all day.

Temp currently is 12 degrees. Tomorrow we're expecting temps to peak at 29 degrees so they're predicting snow, freezing rain, mixed, and then just rain. Insane.

Last night I was standing at the kitchen counter making a pitcher of homebrewed tea and felt utterly content as I gazed at my venison chili simmering on the stove, and watched my cat perched on the back of a kitchen chair watching the food processor processing my batch of laundry soap. It's nice that I can share that moment here and you'll understand the feeling of contentment I was having. If I described that to some I'd get various reactions from "Ewww, venison." to "You know you can buy laundry soap at the grocery store" to "They have jars of instant tea at the grocery store"

Hope everybody has a fine and wonderful day and hopefully I'll get a chance or two to stop back in and visit today.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  07:23:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi everybody -

Just checking in for a minute. BF is doing pretty well with the CHF and kidney failure, but is very tired all the time. He sleeps all night except for getting up to the bathroom, and then sleeps again most of the afternoon. I don't know if this is from the CHF or from all the medicine he is taking. I am praying that he will regain some strength and be able to do some of the things he enjoys. It is so hard to see him just sitting in front of the TV when he used to be so active.

Mom had a 24 hour Holter monitor test last week and is going for an MRI tomorrow (weather permitting). She has had a few bouts of lightheadedness and palpitations, but no more blackouts since last week.

Thanks again for your prayers, care and concern - I appreciate iti so much!

I'm trying to keep my sanity and learn to cook low sodium foods. Since I'm not much of a cook, that's a real challenge. And of course, all that canning I did last year (tomatoes, etc.) has salt, so can't use any of it - darn.........

Hugs to all,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  08:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Luanne-I'm glad he is doing better. Take care of yourself too. Healing thoughts coming your way with your mom and BF.

Peggy-the river crested this morning and dad seems to be okay. Mt. Hood got 8 inches of rain over the weekend. I can't believe that! My dad said that two houses in their neighborhood are gone. Scary! I saw the news about Tillmook too. I think their rivers crested this morning too. Also, thank you about the Lysine. I have some at home and will start taking it.

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  08:46:25 AM  Show Profile
Luanne...My mom's dr told her to switch to sea salt or kosher salt since it isn't iodized. It's the iodizing process that raises blood pressure. She still uses salt, only it's sea salt. I do know that canning salt is not iodized. You might talk to the dr and see if non-iodized salt is an option. If it is, then the canned items should be fine.

I have 38 carrots growin nicely in my greenhouse this mornin! I am gettin pretty excited about my little salad garden I got goin!

My DH got me some little boxes with snap on lids to sort my seeds into. They are so cute! They are a shiny pink and look like minature rubbermaid tubs. He brought 4 home yesterday and said he'd get me 6 more today. He wanted to be sure they would work for me before he bought a bunch of them.
He is startin to get really excited about gardenin season. He already has his plans drawn up for the best way to till the garden and for all the expansions and new raised beds we are plannin.

I can't wait for spring!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  08:50:59 AM  Show Profile
Luanne...so sorry to hear about your BF. Man oh man...My DH has CHF and has had it for 12 years but he did get back to a more active life style. And they can live with that for many years...with healthier eating and taking medications but the Kidney's shutting down is a whole other issue. Are they putting him on Kidney Dialysis? If they do...I would like to email you and discuss somethings about that. Just let me know.

Pam...will your dads house be OK since the River Crested? I know with the snow melt from the Mountains and all this lower level rain...I think there are going to be mandatory evacuations. Just want him to be safe. A house and property is hard to replace but a LIFE is a whole lot more important. So, talk him in to coming and staying with you...even if he is stubborn and wants to wait it out. Rivers can rise so higher and higher so quickly. And that River is angry and raging and destroying everything in it's path.

RFM Tammy...why not just sit on the sofa and knit and read all day??? We all need days like that! Treat yourself to a little R n R girlfriend. And yes, I could so relate to your feelings of contentment doing your farmgirl thing. If nobody else can...we can here!

Well, off to move my towels over to the dryer. More Later:

Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  09:27:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Peg -

BF is not on dialysis at this point. They said his kidneys are Stage 3, and dialysis is Stage 5. We are hoping to maintain him at Stage 3 as long as possible with a healthy diet, diuretics, etc. Does your DH have any kidney problems with the CHF?

Thank you for the advice and the encouragement!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page