Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  08:54:34 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. Number one son is up and we are going to spend the day getting ready for the yard sale this weekend. He asked for blueberry waffles with bacon inside for breakfast.. so only has a short time on the porch.

Dana, I don't sell my quilts online because with the cost of fabric and the amount of time it takes, I can't get a reasonable amount of money for them. There are people that sell them for such low prices that I just can't compete. I have seen them for sale for less than the fabric would cost. So I make other things that people are willing to pay for. Hopefully when I get to my new home I'll start getting more done.

Peggy, I loved loved all the goodies in your package. I hope to try the tea later tonight. I'm almost embarrassed I only sent one little thing. I have two little things for your bday.. so hopefully it will make up for it.

Megan, get better soon! Drink some echinacea tea when you are sick. It will help you get better soon. It tastes a little crappy the first time.. try with some honey or mix with something you like. But it really works for me. Drink it all day if you can.

Pam, I agree with Lida about the good Dr. showing his strips soon. Saved you some time and misery! Good luck with the other interviews.

Lita, Your garden sounds wonderful. I have never had much luck here in the mountains. I'm looking forward to a new place to have one next year. I'm sure my mom's yard will provide. She doesn't do any gardening and has lots of room in the back yard. Can't wait.

Well, off to make waffles! Line up if you want breakfast at my house!
Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  11:03:52 AM  Show Profile
Lida...you are such a busy busy Woman! You Amaze me! I had friends that started a Church in Guatemala and lived there for at least 10 years. Came back State Side after they were almost
murdered one night coming home from picking up visiting missionaries from the Airport. BUT after a few years back in the States they missed The People and their Church so much, that last I heard they were going to try to get funding to go back. They really did do an Awesome Ministry there...even though the had several really scary things happen while they lived there. No different then any large US City though! Life is Tough but God is Faithful!

Darlene...good to see you on the Porch! You must be hiding out our keeping really busy too! I love all the emails you forward to me. They are usually always good for a few laughs but the Inspirational
ones always touch my heart to the core!

Pam...as I thought over your interview last night with the Chiropractor...I just think God is helping you weed out any future bad positions from the Get-Go! And that is a good thing! We don't want you
having to work for any more bad bosses and he sounded like a Lu-Lu! Was he telling you that your shoes were bad for your posture??? That cracked me up that he would even comment on them!

Bunny...I love what you sent me...so, don't even go there girlfriend! Your gift delighted my heart! ~ I know you don't sell your quilts on-line but can you tell me what your average Quilt price is? I know they are a lot of work and I am sure worth more than you can even sell them for. Just curious! ~ Oh, I would love some waffles! YUM!
And by the way my darlen girl...isn't that your picture on your web-site? I will just print that off for my Photo Journal...that is a great picture! (now tell me it isn't you????) LOL

Well, guess what girls? My youngest Son, his girlfriend and my DH and I are going to the Oregon Coast for the weekend (in a couple weeks) for my Birthday! They told me to find a place I liked...so, I went to some Rental Agencies that I have used in the past for My Women's Retreats and I found the most adorable Condo right on the Beach for a really reasonable price. It is so pretty and romantic looking! Can't wait! That is all I wanted for my Birthday! My husband and I rarely get away together anymore...maybe once a year if that. We use to
travel a lot. Anyway...I'm thrilled! Something to look forward to.

Have a beautiful day and breathe deeply in the Fall Fragrances!

Hugs,Love & Joy,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com
"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

Edited by - LadyInRed on Oct 06 2010 11:11:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  11:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Is it me or does my post show up wherever it decides to go? Somehow I end up in the middle of a post instead of the end and I miss other posts. Maybe I'm really getting wacky!

Pam...I'm sorry but I just laughed my ___ off when you were talking about the Doc! I have run into the most whacked out Doctors in all my years of nursing. The stories I could tell. However, none of you would want to go to a Doctor ever again! When I worked in the OR it was just lovely the way they acted and talked about their patients. It's a good thing you are out! Their wives would be just so thrilled with their behaviors also!

Ok...only one story. I was working as a Home Health Nurse and I was assigned to a post op patient with an incision that was infected and only the fascia (inside layer) was closed and we were healing it from the inside out. The 1st visit the exudate from the incision looked like pistashio pudding and he was running a high fever. Called the Doc to see if I could culture it because maybe the Antibiotic was not correct. No problem. Next day the wound began to be very fragile and bleed. Called same Doc and sent him to see him. Next day the incision was really bleeding and I could see it pulse every time his heart beat. Called Doc, the partner. He was livid that I called him and refused to see him because he was already seen yesterday and he was only covering until 11am. I explained the situation, what he bled through and how fragile the tissue was. He screamed at me because I was talking to him in front of His patient. I couldn't help it I had my hand in the incision holding pressure on the bleeding. I had to tell the Doc that I wasn't taking no for an answer and I would make a note stating he refused to see him. Knew I was fired! He agreed to see him and I said, Ok I'm putting a pressure dressing on and he's on his way. He called and told my agency if they didn't fire me he would take his patients elsewhere. Yup...they fired me! I cried awhile! Gave it to God! Got a better paying job! Several years later the dear Doc had his picture on the front page of the paper for doing drugs. So even though many Docs think they are God, God is the only God and he Is in Control! Amen.

How is the swap going? Did everyone complete the swap?

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

DNA doesn't make us sisters, Love does!

The road to a friends house is never to long!

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  12:08:06 PM  Show Profile
Darlene...great story! Most Dr.s need reminded that there is Only One God and they are NOT Him!
I am so blessed because I have the best Country Doctor ever! He is so awesome and over the years
has become good friends with my husband and me. (His entire staff in fact!) I am always in with
him for an hour and a half or more! He never rushes you (even though he is incredibly busy) often
prays with you, has gotten really choked-up and even cried for me when he has seen me in deep
emotional and physical pain from my Fibro. Has told me that he can't wait to see me running around
in Heaven, pain-free! (I jokingly told him that I wasn't wanting to rush that visual picture but
it will some day be great!)LOL Those kind of Dr.'s are few and far between I realize and I feel so
blessed! ~ But getting back to your story...I watched some show like 60 Minutes (or something like that)
where they put hidden cameras in Dr. Offices, Clinics and Operating rooms and the Dr.'s comments about
their patients were horrid! Especially this one Clinic That did Colonoscopies! And you are right girlfriend.
I refuse to go get another Colonoscopy since I watched that show. I do the little Packet Tests...but unless
those should come back showing a problem...you are NOT getting me in for the Procedure just for preventative
measures. Those Dr.'s were so crude, rude and mean! IT WAS AWFUL! I think for the most part Nurses are much more empathetic and compassionate. I'm sure there are a few Nightmarish ones too but nothing like those Dr.s

Well, you got me on a roll with that one!

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  12:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Me again...I was thinking that we could do a swap that wouldn't cost anything and we all could participate. Sound like a plan? This could be entered by any new person at any time.

Let's make a Porch cookbook:
We will all post our recipes on here once a week and copy them and before you know it we will have a wonderful compilation of our wonderful sisters from the porch. We could do a different category dish weekly. Won't cost us a cent and everyone is included. I want everyone to feel included and this sounds practical to me. Let's post the recipes anytime M-F since everyone's schedules can accommodate this. I will post the 1st recipe for this week. The category is:
Something from your Crock pot

Crock pot Beef Stroganoff

2lbs stew meat Brown stew meat and onions. Place in crock pot with all
1 diced onion other ingredients. Cook on low 6-8 hours.
1 sm can cream of mushroom soup
1 sm can condensed onion soup
2 sm cans drained mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste

1 8oz sour cream---stir in when above is finished and cook a little longer to heat through.

Serve over noodles.

I just found this recipe but it sounds good. I hope it is and you will enjoy it.

I have a few more ideas for swaps but I would like everyone to get their 2 cents in here and keep it rockin and rollin!

I think I'll call my recipe book Sisters feeding Sisters on the Porch!

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  12:55:38 PM  Show Profile
Darlene...I love this idea! I have a Folder on My Desk Top called "Farm Girl Recipes" and I have copied
every recipe given so far and put in that folder. There is 8-10 now with your newest one. I will enter a Crock Pot Recipe sometime today. Right now...I need to go eat lunch and do something around my house today.

Hugs,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  2:19:03 PM  Show Profile
Lida- How was the dinner? I hope you didn't do the cooking for that many people!! My in-laws do that kind of thing from time to time and I think they're crazy, they prep for weeks!

Darlene- LOVE the recipe idea!!! And yes, I am so excited to get my girls in the country and give them to opportunity to raise animals and explore nature (although with bears around we're going to have to be a bit watchful)

Bunny- Your quilts are so beautiful and I just loved the bib idea! I wish I were closer, I'd go crazy at your shop!!! We will be traveling thru Oregon next year so maybe if you get a new place set up then I'll have to stop by

Peggy-What an awesome birthday present! Please post some pics. I just love the coast. I grew up along the California coast and really miss fog and the smell of the ocean

Today I feel like I have the worst PMS ever, even though it isn't that!! Don't know why, just in a really crabby mood. Thank God for a bit of tea. Put the Ava down for a nap and put on Word World (a spelling cartoon) for Sophia and decided to take a few minutes to have some tea and visit with you ladies. I think I needed a time out My three year old (Sophia) is in this really whinny mode recently and I don't tolerate whining well (a actually do it back to her sometimes and she just stops and looks at me like I'm nuts. Sounds wierd but it makes her stop) She's over being sick for the most part so I think it's just the usual boundary testing. Oh well, thanks for listening, I feel better. I think alot of it is stress from where the economy is going;things are bad and I'm afraid they are only going to get worse. Although at this point my family is secure, there are so many who are not and I worry for them. Oh well, I need to trust in the bigger plan I know.

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert

Edited by - Rxgirl on Oct 06 2010 2:20:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  3:02:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh Gosh! I LOVE sharing recipes...way back in early porch conversations I shared a bunch of recipes, let me see what I can find!

EDIT! Here are my favorite golden raisin scones....I found the recipe years ago, tinkered with it and like it best as is. Golden raisin scones are so good and comforting with a pot of tea to go with.

I'll share more when I can think of them
GOLDEN RAISIN SCONES

2 1/2 c. flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. butter, cut into slices
1/2 c. golden raisins
2/3 c. milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbsp. sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add raisins, milk and eggs; stir until evenly moistened. Knead dough into a ball on a well floured surface. Pat into a fat circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Move to an un-greased baking sheet. Brush tops of scones with milk then sprinkle with sugar if you like, also good sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar!. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until pale golden color.

Dana, I know how you feel...I'm kind of having a PMS-ish feeling day too. Yes, thank God for TEA!I'm drinking a good cup of it right now. Mmmmmmmm! I'm a worrier, and the state of the world and the downward spiralling economy has me in fits when I let myself think about it.

Peggy, please DO get pictures to share. I miss the ocean something fierce! And enjoy yourself!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

Edited by - Annika on Oct 06 2010 3:09:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  6:40:09 PM  Show Profile
Hey everyone! Thanks for the well wishes! I'm feeling so much better, and I did rugby today and will probably play in the game tomorrow! We had another team dinner tonight, and I love hanging out with my rugby girls! We are sisters too, and we have the most heart and spirit ever!
I think that maybe a sentence a week would be so much fun! I'll start with one of the most simple phrases: How are you? It's: Como estas? It's phonetically spoken, very easy. Stay posted for more espanol!
Peggy, I do hope to be able to use Spanish in my future career.
Well, today was a red day, which meant I went into school at 9:50! I was so energized today, and hopefully will be again tomorrow!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  7:14:21 PM  Show Profile
Darlene,
I think the idea of recipe is wonderful. I have a recipe for crockpot but will post it tomorrow as I have to remember what box it it is in. I am so glad you liked your package. I do like to mix my own teas but that one is actually one I got from a favorite tea shop of mine.

Peggy~ think it is wonderful that you are going on a special trip for your birthday. That is just such a blessing from your family.

Angela~I hope you are doing alright...miss hearing about your days.

Annika~I am a scone lady ...so I am going to have to try your scones to have with my tea.

Megan~so glad you are feeling better

Bunny~hope you had a great day today

Pam~been praying for you

Lida~i love reading about your days and your family. Prayig DD get settled soon

well ladies it is time for some evening tea and a bit of time with God. So I will say goodnight.

love to you all and have a great day tomorrow.
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  7:27:47 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmm....I don't have a crock pot, sadly =( but I will see if I can find a good crock pot recipe anyway! =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  7:40:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Tammy!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  8:23:16 PM  Show Profile
Annika...even though this week is a Crock-Pot Theme I still loved your scone recipe. Will give it a try!
Thanks for Sharing!

Hugs, Peggy

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  8:43:41 PM  Show Profile
For The Crock-Pot and The Chocolate Lover In All Of Us

HOT FUDGE CAKE submitted by Peggy Smith

Cooking Time 4-4 1/2 hours

1+3/4 cups packed brown sugar, divided
1 cup all-purpose flour
6 T. baking cocoa, divided
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 cup milk
2 T. butter, melted
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1+1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1+3/4 cups boiling water

When serving Top with Vanilla Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt

In a bowl, combine 1 cup of brown sugar, flour, 3 tab. cocoa, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the milk, butter and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Spread evenly into a 3 quart slow cooker coated with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with Chocolate Chips.

In a bowl, combine the remaining brown sugar and cocoa; stir in boiling water. Pour over batter (do not stir!). Cover and cook on high for 4 to 4+1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream or frozen yogurt.

Yields 6-8 Servings

Note: This Recipe does not use eggs

ENJOY! IT IS A FABULOUS CHOCOLATE FIX!

The Queen of Chocolate,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Edited by - LadyInRed on Oct 06 2010 8:45:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  9:06:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Peggy,that just sounds insanely amazing! Im drooling just reading these recipes :-)

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  07:49:45 AM  Show Profile
Morning ladies.... first off I must say that I love it here. I don't always have time to post but I pop in everyday to just listen to the advice and encouragement. You all are a blessing everyday. Thank you!

Pam - oh, girlfriend, I'm praying for you to get that job...sounds great and much less stressful. I can't imagine you not being the standout interviewee.

Peggy - I've never been to the West Coast but my folks went several years ago and their pics of the Oregon coast are breathtaking. Enjoy!

Dana - your plans and property sound like a bit of heaven here on earth. I pray that all things will come together in good time for you and your family.

Lida - even though your life is more in the city, it sure sounds like you have a good bit of heaven here as well. (And a whole lot of energy!)

Hugs and blessing to everyone and welcome (back) Christine.
I'm going to seek out a crock-pot recipe.... I love, love, love cookbooks and sharing recipes. Thanks for the great idea Darlene!

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Edited by - staci860 on Oct 07 2010 08:25:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  08:22:23 AM  Show Profile
Here goes, (this is from a Sandra Lee cookbook - she can be a real time saver. )

Marmalade Meatballs
Ingreds:
2 lbs fully cooked frozen meatballs
1 16oz. bottle Catalina salad dressing
1 cup orange marmalade
3 T worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

1. Place frozen meatballs in 5 qt slow-cooker.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the rest of the ingredients and then pour the mixture over the meatballs. Stir to coat.
3. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours.
4. Serve as an appetizer or a main dish (over hot, cooked rice.)

Easy, peasy.
Now I'm hungry.

Blessings, staci FG# 973

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  08:40:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Friends,
Taking half a vacation day to go on a fall foliage train ride through the Finger Lakes with the family. it stopped raining and the sun has came out! Off for a train ride with 3 of the 5 kids, 2 sons-in-law, and 3 grandkids and DH.

peace,
Lida
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  08:47:14 AM  Show Profile
Well had a good day yesterday. Tired and in pain by the end of the day but nothing a nice hot bath couldn't deal with. I'm so going to miss my big bathtub. I pray every time I get in.."please God don't take away my bathtub" but what will be will be.

Peggy, yes that is my picture on my blog. One of the best if I say so. Most of the time I look terrible. I even did an internet tv show with a friend (Alex Anderson) and hated to watch because I thought I didn't look like myself. I know the camera doesn't lie..lol. My quilts depend on size. Lap size is about $250 to $350. Double around $500 queen to king is $700 to $800. A king size quilt takes about 18 yards and costs me about $150 to have quilted. I try to make about $10.00 an hour and then the rest is actual costs. Baby quilts are about $195 to $350. I try to make simple ones to keep the cost down. Most people just don't think we in America making "crafts" should make so much. When people get quilts for gifts they have no idea the actual costs without labor involved. Plus there are a lot of retired women that make quilts to sell and charge so little that it makes it hard to charge labor. I have a lady here in Groveland I know that from what I can see, only charges what it costs her. What is the point in that other then to keep your hands busy. But it hurts the rest of the ladies that need to make a little extra to get by. Sorry for my soap box.. but I had such a hard time listening to tourists for 9 years ask for custom quilts and then tell me they could buy a king size quilt at Walmart for $150.00. Now I get to do what I enjoy.
Ok! Enough of that! I'm up for a wonderful day at work.

Darlene, It really makes you think about whether or not you really want to visit a Doc when you are sick. I only go as a last resort now days anyway. I know police and fireman can get pretty crude sometimes. My son is with the local sheriff search and rescue and they use it more as a copeing mechanism. Dealing with body recovery can be hard. But Doctors don't have that excuse.

See you all later! I'm having dinner with a wonderful Italian friend tonight.. that spells wonderful cooking!!!
Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  08:55:22 AM  Show Profile
Today is the day that the Alaska State Permanent Fund Dividend disbursement gets deposited in many citizen's bank accounts. Checked and mine is there, a tidy $1,287.00. I promptly wrote a check to pay back my bosses who kindly lent me $1,000.00 when my son's house was in jeopardy and he needed the money. It is good to get that bill off my mind. Even a greater blessing is that they would loan me that much and not insist on payments until now. God is good. Bless all you wonderful porchies and have a Spirit led day.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  09:18:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi All Porchies,
I have just stopped by here randomly and it seems like a good spot for chat and now for recipes! I don't know if I'll ever manage to go back to the beginning days but hope to get to know you as time goes by. Here is a recipe we really enjoy.

EDGAR'S CUCUMBER SALAD
1 cucumber, peeled and cut in chunks
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup sliced black olives
1/2 cup chopped tomato
1 cup shredded lettuce
DRESSING
2 Tbls olive oil
1 Tbls balsamic vinegar
1 tsp tarragon

Toss and let sit for a while for flavors to blend.
Alternatives: Add chunks of Swiss cheese
Use a different dressing such as tomato and onion.

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  12:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Awesome my wonderful porch sisters...I'm so happy you like the recipe idea. My mouth is watering! I could not live without my crock pots. What lifesavers they have been for me. I think I'll rename my recipe book ...How my sisters from the porch made me Fat! LOL!

Megan...I am making my Spanish workbook for your weekly lesson. Thanks for doing it. When my son was in HS he took Spanish. As a group the Spanish teacher took her students to a Spanish speaking country each year. The year my son went ,I went as a chaperon to Mexico. Needless to say, the kids took great pleasure in my inability to speak Spanish. I on the other hand took french in HS. So guess where my son lived for his job a few years ago? You got it, France! LOL! Glad you are feeling better.

Peggy...How did I know it would be chocolate! I will love it! In Hershey, Pa they have a spa that covers you in chocolate. Some friends went and they said it was awesome. The daughter took her mother for MD. Lucky you for your Romantic BD get away. TMI my dear...LOL!

Bunny...Enjoy your Italian dinner. Come to my house, I cook for an Italian husband everyday! Quilts are alot of work and people don't realize the amount of time it takes. I bought several quilt tops years ago and never got around to quilting them so I found a Mennonite lady that quilted them for me. She charged by the amount of thread she used. We also have many churches that quilt for people. Do you have alot of inventory left? Will you be able to take along and sell it out of someone else's shop on consignment?

Staci...I love Sandra Lee...That recipe sounds good. I've only seen it done with grape jelly. Yum!

I love scones and cukes. I love everything!

Keep posting your Crock pot recipes until Sunday nite.

New recipe category on Monday!

Good thoughts and hugs to you all. If I didn't mention you...you are still in my heart and prayers!

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  05:50:17 AM  Show Profile
Morning! Well, I should have asked for quick and easy campfire recipes. We're heading out this evening for our last camping trip of the season. I love cooking and eating outdoors with the family. Each year I try to find a new recipe that makes use of just our pie irons or foil.
We love making "tacos" in the pie iron with flour tortillas and taco meat that I prep at home. Add cheese and your own favorite extras and stick it in the flames. Of course the teens love pizza pies. We're taking pre-made chicken and pork barbecues along this trip, I'll see how they do in tortillas.

Megan - I think a phrase a week sounds like fun! My DD is taking French and my DS took 2 years of Spanish - I remember just enough of both from HS to make them think I'm really smart. (Like that's gonna last...)
Cherime - so glad to hear of God's provision for you.
Pam - looking forward to hearing about the job search, I just have really good feelings about it all for you.

Please pray for my DH, he has been blessed with steady work for years but would really like to be doing something different. He is a full-time custodian/maintenance man for a large church/daycare center. While he is still a relatively young man(45), he has been having physical issues with all the chemicals he works with. He went for an interview last night for another position and has a 2nd interview next week with the owner of a large car dealership in their parts department. (He worked for 10 years in auto parts before- so has a leg up on some of the younger applicants.)Anyhow this job would also be closer to home and in the same town that I work, we would be able to ride together and the savings on gas/auto insurance etc. would be substantial. We are asking God's favor in the area of benefits and pay. My DH doesn't want to "go backward" at this stage of life either. Sorry, I just wrote a book... But we would really appreciate your prayers for favor and wisdom. Thank you.

Well, the packing needs to be done and then some house cleaning (I love coming home to a clean house.) I hope and pray that you all have a blessed and wonderful weekend.
I'll be back to the porch on Tuesday.
Waves and hugs from PA...

Blessings, staci FG# 973

Edited by - staci860 on Oct 08 2010 06:05:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  11:20:56 AM  Show Profile
Darlen Darlene...I think Chocolate all over the body is so like a waste of good chocolate to me! Or else I'd be licking it off myself! I hope they use cheap chocolate not the decadent kinds like Godiva, Moonstruck, or Fran's Chocolates.(my personal Favorites) Anyway...I guarantee you will all Love My Choc. Crock-Pot Recipe. Just remember the better the Choc. you use the more decadent the flavor! And hey, I guess if you don't like it, don't waste it...just go bathe in it. LOL ~ I am loving this whole recipe swap too. So, way to go girl! I have a swap Idea for you Darlene for the future...I'll email you. ~ As far as the Romantic Birthday Get away, my husband & I just have good memories about what those times use to be like. We have too many health issues these days. BUT I will enjoy the Romantic Atmosphere of the Place...non the less! It is a beautiful Condo on the Beach...couldn't be better!

Bunny...your Quilts sound like they are priced SPOT-ON for what I see the Market Places Sell For. And I think you deserve every single penny of that. They are a lot of work. Because I am on a fixed income...I have to just pray that I will inherit a couple more of them. LOL But do you know...I found one in perfect condition for a Twin bed at an Antique Store for $20.00 and yes, of course I bought it. (me no dummy) Ha Ha!

Stacie...Oh, I hope you and your family have a Fun Hooray on your last Camp-Out for the year! Sounds like a good time for all! And yes, I will be praying for your DH on finding a new job. God will provide!

Cherime...what a blessing that Alaska gives those State Checks each year. I wish more states would follow suit but they won't. I love how God has such "Perfect" timing. You got your loan paid off and had a few bucks left in your pocket. That's God...he blesses above and beyond what we need. HE IS AWESOME!

Pam My Darlen Girl...where are you??? Don't be getting me worried now or I'll have to take away your car-keys! :+)

Well My Lovable, Huggable, Squeezable, Porchies...I will check back in later. For now I am leaving a box of Seattle's Frans Sea-Salt Chocolates on the Porch for you! Help yourselves and enjoy! They're scrumptious! And you know that I must really LOVE YOU Girls, because I'm sharing!!! :+)

I's cool on the Porch today! Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Edited by - LadyInRed on Oct 08 2010 11:27:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  4:01:03 PM  Show Profile
Staci and Darlene, I'm glad to teach you guys some Spanish! I think Monday will be when I post my new stuff. It'll help me as well retain the information.
So, I wasn't able to visit the porch last night. I had a rugby game, and we did really well in the A side. We beat them 71-0! Well, I started the B side game, and I was so excited. It was the start of the second half, and I was so happy to be playing the entire game. I was doing really well, and it was going to be the best game ever for me. We were, I would say ten minutes into the second half, and I was coming out of our tackle to get the ball. I was turning to go to the ball, and my foot planted, but my leg kept going, and I twisted my knee really badly. I immediately went down, and started screaming right there in the middle of the field. My other prop stood next to me and told me to stay down, which, I wasn't going anywhere at that point. So my coach and a few of the dad doctors and my Mom the nurse came out to me, and I was crying so hard! My coach, Chin, told me he needed me to calm down so that the doctors could look at it. It hurt so bad! Chin carried me off of the field, and my Mom and neighbor took me to the hospital, where they said there was ligament damage and possible cartilage damage. So I spent the night at my neighbor's because they don't have stairs, and it took my Mom an hour to help me shower and be ready for bed. Then school was the hardest. I get to use the elevator at least! Well, off to continue sitting on the couch with my leg elevated!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page