Page: of 83

ProgressiveHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  08:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Send ProgressiveHomemaker an AOL message
So what shall we talk about? How is everyone's new year going so far?

Life's short. Make today count.
Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  5:12:34 PM  Show Profile
Hey, all!

I could hang out here! :o) Honestly, I don't practice anything consistently... More into Wise Woman kind of stuff, I guess earthy energy, etc. I used to pay closer attention to the lunar cycles and would like to follow that more. Just wanted to say Hi and hope to be more active here. :o)

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679
http://farmgirlby40.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  5:21:39 PM  Show Profile
This is surely to be a year of great change! All for the better.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

ProgressiveHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  06:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Send ProgressiveHomemaker an AOL message
<~into the wise woman tradition and earth energy stuff myself.

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  10:10:50 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone studied Shamanism? I have had this need to get back to my Native American roots of late. Maybe it's my age! I'm N.A. on my mother's side and I was very, very close to my grandmother who in my eyes was a wise woman - she knew everything. If anyone has some good books on the subject, let me know. Or anything related to the subject. Would appreciate anyones input. Thanks so much ladies.
Go to Top of Page

ProgressiveHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  12:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Send ProgressiveHomemaker an AOL message
Annie, I would strongly suggest you embrace your roots. If I come across anything I think would specifically be good for you, I'll let you know.

Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  08:33:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kris, glad you chose to hang out here. I'm more into the wise woman thing myself.

Annie, I haven't studied Shamanism, but am interested. yes, I would certainly check it out with your family history. The only thing I have read along those lines is Cherokee herbal.

hope everyones new year is off to a great start. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  3:57:34 PM  Show Profile
Rachell, thanks so much in advance if you find anything. Going to check out the library in town (which isn't much) and hope they might have something. Otherwise, it's going on-line and also checking Amazon for books.
Phyllis, if I find out anything I'll let you know about it too since you're interested in this as well. Will be fun sharing info with each other. If you find out some interesting info, please let me know.
Go to Top of Page

ProgressiveHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  5:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Send ProgressiveHomemaker an AOL message
Annie, I am sure getting books online will be a great way to find great stuff, but I would encourage you to look around at what's on the internet for free before spending a bunch of money. There is a ton of information out there. Here is a link that explains the wise woman tradition that interests me pretty well, http://gatelessgate.wordpress.com/category/a-witch-wise-woman/

In a nutshell, I embrace traditional skills and try to approach all things through love in a way that makes a positive difference. I am interested in things like healing, herbalism, gardening, wildlife, domestic animal-keeping, earth-keeping, cooking, baking and crafts like cross-stitch and crocheting. Those that associate closely with Wiccan tradition would probably not consider me a witchy farm gal because I do not practice any of the wiccan rituals. I do respect the wheel of the year and the wheel of life and I do observe my own rituals based on those. I find that most religious folk feel that I am witchy.

Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  5:33:16 PM  Show Profile
I've been reading some Ellen Dugan books and couple on Celtic goddeses and myths & magick. I also have the Sun Sign book and the Moon Sig book and a book on crystals. I have all kinds of books, but have no idea where to start. The 2 Ceticl goddess books are Goddess Aloud and Goddess Alive. Maybe with a little more background I will knowwhere to start. I get so confused.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go

Farmgirl Sister #2351
Go to Top of Page

ProgressiveHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  6:56:05 PM  Show Profile  Send ProgressiveHomemaker an AOL message
Kay, just enjoy what you read and follow your heart.

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  1:19:12 PM  Show Profile
Rachell, thanks so much for the info on the website. Going to check it out. You sound very much like what I feel inside myself and what I want to study and learn about. We live in the country on top of a mountain (if you call the Black Hills mountains), I feed my deer every day and talk to them, have two dogs and tons of wildlife, a "spirit" tree in the front yard (has a cruck in the trunk and I wouldn't let them cut it down when we were clearing the land to build the house because I felt it spoke to me) and will start a garden this spring. I'm very much an earth-based person and have always felt more of an attachment to mother earth than anything else in my life. I sure didn't get this feeling from my mother - she was always trying to hide her heritage. Not me - I embrace it. My grandmother was my teacher when I was young and now I would like to teach my grandkids - or at least some of them.
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  10:10:58 AM  Show Profile
Rachell, you sound like many of us here. I don't exactly fit into any one tradition. good idea about finding things online, I've spend a good bit of money to find out what I'm not. LOL. I know I'm witchy enough to get me in trouble with most of the people I know. thanks for sharing with us, it's so good to find people who understand the searching.

Annie, will certainly share anything I find. I have a tree like that in my backyard. it's a big old maple, with gnarly roots. I call it my fairy tree, a prefect place for them to play. I wasn't blessed with anyone in my life to learn from in person. I know there are folks around here that practice the old ways, but don't have a clue how to find them. someday, when my health improves, I'm going to take a course on foraging and herbal studies, should be a good way to meet people.

Kay, I like the Dugan books that I've read. I'm with Rachell, be patient with yourself and follow your heart.

blessings y'all. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  2:35:53 PM  Show Profile
Phyllis, know what you mean about spending a lot of money to find out what you're not. Websites are free and easy.
Isn't it funny how one innaniment(sp) object can speak to you like our trees. When we were looking at the property, before there was even a road up here (went on logging truck tracks) and I saw that tree with it's curve in it's truck, I told my husband that the guy clearing the property can NOT touch that tree at all. It spoke to me. When people ask why we have that one and only tree in the front I explain that it is my sprit tree and it talks to me and it's the protector of our house. It takes care of all the birds that come to feed from the feeders that are in the front yard next to the tree as well.
I've been in stituations with friends when they get to talking religion and I explain that I have an "earth-based" belief, they seem ok with that and understand. Just with more people were like that tho.
Just got my Herb Companion magazine and it has an article on Grow your Own Garden That Heals. Have decided that my new garden this spring will have lots of herbs if nothing else. Then plan to use them and dry them. If anyone has ideas on making an herbal garden, let me know. I could use all the help I can get. My Granny was an excellent gardener and wish I had paid more attention to what she was doing. But think her spirit will guide me.
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  3:14:40 PM  Show Profile
Annie, I'm hoping to have a good herb garden this summer. trying to read up on herbal treatments that help with immune function, and fight infection. I started some Valerian this spring( I use it for pain and sleep) but my neighbors doggy watered it for me and it didn't appreciate it. : D my neighbors have given me sage and rosemary, so I'm starting. will have to look up the Herb Companion to see what's up.

We have several maple trees and I love them, but most of them will probably have to come down.(we have a small lot and need the food growing space) But my fairy tree will stay. I hate cutting down my trees, so we are putting it off long as we can, until we fill up the rest of the yard.

around here one of the first questions you get is "where do you go to church" I usually don't get into religious discussions if I can help it. we folks ask me to visit their church I just say thanks for the invitation and go on. I don't know too many people in the area that would be open to earth based religion. haven't figured out where to meet anyone. that's one reason I'm so thankful to find you all here.

hope your day was a great one. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  1:52:04 PM  Show Profile
I have been reading where most of you have someone in your past who seems to have guided you. I have had none of that. My maternal grandmother was raised Christian Science and Mormon and my mom -- well, she was a mess. It's just been reading here and online that something has been speaking to me deep inside. The big thing is that I would like to learn more about healing. We had our first vegetable garden this past year and I've been trying to grow herbs. Some of them came out beautifully and some not so much. That and I don't really know what to do with them. Right now I have a horrible sinus infection and have felt awful since Wednesday. Saw doctor on Friday and still feel crappy. But I know something about if I had known what to do with either my coneflowers or yarrow it might have helped. My mom and grandmother have both been gone quite some time now. My Granny (my stepfather's mom) might have understood, but then again maybe not.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go

Farmgirl Sister #2351
Go to Top of Page

mamashaw
True Blue Farmgirl

268 Posts

Annette
Cahokia IL
USA
268 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  7:39:21 PM  Show Profile
Kay, sending warm healing thoughts your way. Feel better soon!

someplace between lost and found
annette FS#1372

not all who wander are lost

why worry about the comming storm when you can learn to dance in the rain
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  2:39:47 PM  Show Profile
Kay, also sending you warm thoughts for healing.
My mother's side of the family were all Mormon's too. But growing up I felt "different". My granny was Mormom, but she held onto her Native American roots and learning from her I finally found where I belonged. I was excommunicated from the church and felt liberated. I then started to study different ways of life and this was it.
Consider us your family of sorts. There are some very knowlegable women on this thread who I have learned so much from. Whenever you have questions, there will always be someone here to help you. I was tickeled pink when I found this thread and found other women who practice this lifestyle. One doesn't feel so isolated or alone when you know where to go to be with others such as yourself.
Get well soon, Kay.
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  11:25:05 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I hope this isn't off-topic. I just found myself cornered into "coming out of the broom closet" at work--to my boss. She isn't treating me any differently, but I feel all squirmy inside for some reason (maybe because I don't think religion at work is anybody's business?).

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  11:33:49 AM  Show Profile
Annie, sure hope you are feeling better soon, sinus infections are no fun.

Alyce, that is disconcerting!!! hopefully your boss is not one of those narrow minded folks and will continue to treat you the same( I agree it's no ones business). keep us posted on how things are going.

blessed Imbolc all. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

CountryKim
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  4:55:00 PM  Show Profile
Annie,

I love that your Mormon grandmother held onto her Native American roots. I have bounced all over the place picking up pieces of religions here and there. I love that many holidays resulted from the original Pagan quarters and cross quarters.

By the way, Blessed Imbolc!

Forever farmgirl

Edited by - CountryKim on Feb 10 2012 7:50:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  6:10:22 PM  Show Profile
Alyce, I agree with you that your religion isn't anybody's business (at work or anywhere else). Maybe you're feeling so squirmy because it seems you felt cornered and didn't share the info because you really wanted to but felt you had to.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  11:14:08 AM  Show Profile
Alyce, I'm with the others in that your beliefs aren't anyone else's business. Hopefully this will pass and things will get back to normal.
Kim, I'm with you too regarding the fact that so many "celebrations" are Pagan in origin. Most people don't even know that. Funny how that all works out.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  2:57:26 PM  Show Profile
Blessed Oimelc Sisters!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://omgsitstasharose.wordpress.com

[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]
Go to Top of Page

CountryKim
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  4:21:44 PM  Show Profile
And yes, it really isn't anyone's business especially at work. It's not affecting how you work. We have many Pagans at my place of employment.

Forever farmgirl

Edited by - CountryKim on Feb 02 2012 4:22:41 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 83 Gathered Up: Previous Topic witchy farmgirls? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page