Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  3:56:55 PM  Show Profile
Annette, way to go girl!!!!!! Awesome job. You can do it.
Phyllis, sending you warm blessings.
Go to Top of Page

mamashaw
True Blue Farmgirl

268 Posts

Annette
Cahokia IL
USA
268 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  5:39:50 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies, that class nearly killed me... glad to be done with it!!
We are celebrating our oldest's 20th birthday tomorrow and then we'll get to working toward Yule.. even the tree has to wait until after his birthday.. tradidtion my DH insisted on when the oldest was little.. didn't want him growing up confused as to which day/decor was for him.

someplace between lost and found
annette FS#1372

not all who wander are lost

why worry about the comming storm when you can learn to dance in the rain
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  12:30:05 PM  Show Profile
thanks Annie, how you doing?? all ready for Yule?

Annette, happy birthday to your oldest. good idea to wait until after his birthday to put up the tree. it's so hard on folks that have their birthday near the holiday's. hope the day is great for him and the whole family. glad you survived micro.. I think it was one of the hardest classes. you'll be graduating before you know it.

blessings all
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  4:48:01 PM  Show Profile
Annette, great idea from DH for your son. That way he feels special on "his" day. But know the feeling of being forgotten on a holiday birthday. Mine is near/on Thanksgiving and growing up I never had a party or got gifts from my family - except from my special/earthbased "granny". Growing up it was the still the same - Thanksgiving took presense over my birthday. Sorry for venting ladies. Guess I still have an empty spot in my heart about this. I just think what you and your DH are doing for your son is just the greatest and sweetest thing showing him that you care about HIM. Happy Birthday to him.
Go to Top of Page

Serenity920
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Heather
NJ
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  10:32:26 AM  Show Profile
Blessed Be Y'all - i couldn't resist... I think that is precious. I just found this group and wanted to introduce myself since i would like to hang out here with the cool witchy chicks!!
I have enjoyed the discussion to this point. I am a kitchen witch for the most part and I have used many natural holistic methods of keeping my family healthy and well over the years.
I am an urban farmer I grow a good portion of my own food and most of my herbs, and someday i will have a farm that will allow me to expand my horizons.
Looking forward to meeting you all,
Heather

Faith without works is dead.
Love is a Verb
It is What it Is.
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  11:33:43 AM  Show Profile
Heather, so glad you found us. Looking forward to hearing more about your urban life and family and the holistic methods of treatment you use for your family. We all learn so much from one another on this thread. Again, a big witchy welcome to you.
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  8:19:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi Heather!! glad you found us!! looking forward to getting to know you. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

mamashaw
True Blue Farmgirl

268 Posts

Annette
Cahokia IL
USA
268 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  8:18:37 PM  Show Profile
welcome Heather!! You'll like it here, I look forward to reading more about your holistic studies ( too much synthetic medicine these days I think )
We are rural/urban... lol.. we have almost 3 acres on the outer
un-incorperated limits of our little town yet we can clearly see the St Louis arch from our front porch. I keep a garden and we have chickens, goats and a duck. We're an eclectic bunch too!

The oldest had a good birthday. Thank you all for sharing birthday wishes with him. I am sure he'll be old and gray one day, knowing his day is his but still waiting to put up the tree until after... some traditions are just to wonderful to let go of.

on another note, would you ladies mind sending on the wind; lighting a candle; or what ever pratice you use for my mom.. I got word this evening that she broke a vertebra in her lower back while working at her place of worship. She is only 63 (just a youngster). My dad is beside himself (he is 79) and my sister and I are each 1400 miles away in different directions.....

annette FS#1372

Go to Top of Page

Serenity920
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Heather
NJ
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  04:01:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks you for the warm welcome!! I have been working my way through the many many pages of previous posts and i feel like i am starting to know some of you :)
Annette - I will be keeping both your parents in my thoughts and wishing strength for them both.
I am interested in knowing how everyone marks solstice/yule ect? We bow to tradition and have the traditional Christmas celebration, however we mark solstice with dinner and simple gifts first taking time out of the craziness of the season to be thankful for all that we have been given and just get right with our spirit within.
My older boys (18 and 21) are hard to pin down for most family dinners, however they never miss a "Witchy" dinner since I pull out all the stops.
SO how about the rest of you?

Faith without works is dead.
Love is a Verb
It is What it Is.
Go to Top of Page

Ursula Norsedottir
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Amanda
Nebraska
37 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  2:52:26 PM  Show Profile
I am new to the board in general, I am glad to have found this thread!

My husband and I are Asatru, heathens, so to speak. To those who are of a similar persuasion, HAIL :D! I haven't gone thru this thread yet, but I plan to when I have a few more minutes! And me being a newbie here, how do I get involved in the virtual chapter?

http://theblackbearden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  08:20:49 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Amanda. I've been wanting to study Asatru so I may ask questions if you don't mind. Right now I'm a mix of things. Asatru keeps popping up in my radar so I think it's time to take the study seriously. It definately meshes well from what I've read with my wanting to homestead. I've been checking out a couple books on Amazon. Any suggestions on good ones to start with? As for virtual chapters, you need to go to the henhouse and look through the ones there and see if theres one that fits you. If you find one that sounds good just contact the leader. I will warn you some of them are inactive and you might not get replies. You can also check and see if there are any actual groups in your area. It's fun to get together and meet other likeminded sisters.

Unfortunately I don't have a special way of celebrating Yule personally. I do a Yule tree and try to decorate it with nature based or homemade items. Tonight I'm making venison fajitas for part of our Solstice dinner - I thought the venison appropriate.

When I was part of a group we had elaborate rituals and feasting. I miss that. I have not found another group of people that I feel comfortable with to get that close to again so I'll remain solitary, at least for now.

Maybe this would be a good time to also discuss how some of you deal with partners who are of other faiths? Do they participate in your Yule events/rituals? Do you have to camoflage things so they accept them? Are you fortunate and they partake and enjoy?

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

Ursula Norsedottir
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Amanda
Nebraska
37 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  09:11:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Tammy! I will answer any questions to the best of my ability, but really, I am rather new to the faith as well (not paganism in general, but Asatru itself). I have been looking for a kindred to join, but the nearest one is a three hour drive, and I haven't been able to participate yet. If you are really curious, I suggest heathengods.com. They have a lot of great literature there! But in general, the faith of the Folk has been very strengthening. The Nine Noble Virtues are helping me parent as well, because it is easy for my children to relate to!

As for Yule, we are easing into the tradition of the 12 days, where the 20th is Mother Night, and Yule is celebrated on Dec 31st with a pig roast, gifts and New years celebrations. Every day a month of the year is reviewed, and plans made for the next year. We bond as a family each night. We have a small feast on Mother Night, when we put up the tree and decorate the house. It was very informal this year, and Yule will be celebrated on Friday, because it was new to us, but we all loved it, so next year we will do it properly!

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  7:33:59 PM  Show Profile
Ursula - After posting here earlier I had time to do some web surfing. I found a kindred right in my area! I was so excited. Sent an email to the head of it and even got a reply back. Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with them next month. There's a larger group about 2 hours from us that they occasionally do events with. I'm so excited. One of the group events they do every couple of months is mead making. I LOVE mead :O) We have our first batch of mead, a 6 gal carboy of raspberry mead, that's about ready to be bottled. I'd like to get another batch started soon.

Does anybody else make mead? Do you use it for rituals?

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

Ursula Norsedottir
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Amanda
Nebraska
37 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  3:11:32 PM  Show Profile
Tammy - Hubby is busy collecting everything he needs to start brewing mead! So far he has a good selection of one gallon jugs, basically all he is waiting for is to remember to pick up a lock. I am excited, we love mead, and kindreds go through a lot of it, since it is the booze of choice ;). We use it in our blots.

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  5:09:33 PM  Show Profile
My husband likes to make mead, we drink it some but mostly use it for rituals and I frequently put it on my ancestor altar and use it as offerings in my workings. My husband is an Odinist and knows tons about Asatru, if I can be of any assistance let me know. While I am in agreement with most of his beliefs, we differ on some as well and I do not consider myself Asatru (or anything else in particular) I am more Hoodoo inclined (though it's not a religion, it's what I do)

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  1:21:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amanda, sorry I'm so late in welcoming you! glad you are here. blessings

hope everyone is doing well. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

mamashaw
True Blue Farmgirl

268 Posts

Annette
Cahokia IL
USA
268 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  8:51:35 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies for all your thoughts for my mom, she is home and doing well. Homehealth PT, pain managment and more phone calls from me than I am sure she planned for.

annette FS#1372

Go to Top of Page

mamashaw
True Blue Farmgirl

268 Posts

Annette
Cahokia IL
USA
268 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  8:53:30 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the farmstead Amanda!!

annette FS#1372

Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  08:55:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Annette glad your Mom is doing well. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Ursula Norsedottir
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Amanda
Nebraska
37 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  11:09:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Phyllis, Annette! I am glad your mom has improved!

Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  7:05:31 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I'm still attempting to study and am leaning toward Celtic studies. I'm finding all of the comments very interesting and enlightening. Will continue lurking.

Also, the granddaughter has a new "friend" in Germany. I think little Shyanne's going to be someone very special.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go

Farmgirl Sister #2351
Go to Top of Page

mamashaw
True Blue Farmgirl

268 Posts

Annette
Cahokia IL
USA
268 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  5:31:47 PM  Show Profile
hey there Kay, glad you picked our henhouse to lurk :c)

annette FS#1372

Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  1:09:37 PM  Show Profile
Hey, is there room for another Asatru farmgirl here? This looks like my kind of place!

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

ProgressiveHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  2:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Send ProgressiveHomemaker an AOL message
Hi all, just peeping my new farmgirl head in to say Hi and ask how your garden grows this fine day?

Life's short. Make today count.
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  5:38:10 PM  Show Profile
Kay, good to see you again. glad Shyanne is doing well and adjusting to Germany. what books are you studying at the moment?

Alyce, welcome!!! always room for one more.

Rachell, welcome!!!! glad you found us.

it gets kinda quiet around here sometimes, but I know everyone is happy that you are here, and looking forward to learning from each other. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 83 Gathered Up: Previous Topic witchy farmgirls? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page