True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  06:26:04 AM  Show Profile
Hey Linda!
You don't need anything other than a love of the "magic" of life to join us!
So jump in when you feel ready!

I have studied Wicca, Celtic Christianity, Goddess paths, Anthroposophy (Steiner), Faerie paths, Wise woman, Eastern paths and I'm an ordained minister. What I found is that I don't need to be defined by one path. It is all a part of my life and that of our family. I love ritual, but it has evolved over the years since having 3 kids. My youngest is still at home and at 15 is finding her voice as a woman and finds the attention to detail in ritual important for her.

We live in the buckle of the Bible belt and our walk through life has been private. Plus we home school and in order to not "worry" our home school friends we kept a low profile. Subtle things in our house - our round kitchen table with the seating facing the 4 directions - the statue of Bast at the front door - Bridget's crosses over the stove and heaters - statues of the four seasons place in the 4 directions around our property. Little things.

Ok, too much info! LOL! But just wanted to assure you that there is no one path even as a witch.

PS. I once saw the word WITCH described as Woman In Total Control of Herself!

Dana

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
www.schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  06:34:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda, hope you will join us. I have no 'title" or set path. I'm a seeker, learning as much as I can. I think you would be very welcome here.

Dana, I'm right here in the buckle with you. actually had a little anxiety attack after I first posting on this subject. lots of family here that would freak out at the title of this thread. I love your description of your home, NOT too much info. I appreciate you sharing.

Love all the ideas here, I'm afraid I dont know of any witchy blogs I check in with Witches Voice sometimes, interesting site. Like I said before, I'm just learning, so would love to know about any other sites.

blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  07:02:50 AM  Show Profile
I too have studied a lot of different paths. I even became a priestess in one of them but find that there are things in all that hold a certain amount of truth for me. I too felt a little anxiety when I posted here the first time as I have a really good friend that does not know my beliefs and she is a farm girl. I am new to the whole chat thing so I don't know of any blogs, am not even sure what that is. My daughter (the Web Master) tells me this is considered a blog. Guess I am showing my age. I am very glad I found this "blog" "chat room". I would love to have more contact with women of like beliefs. Living is a suburb and being a witchy farmgirl has it's drawbacks when it comes to finding someone like minded to talk to.

Blessings Beth

May the force of the Horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  07:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
ok..count me in! I want to make a broom to swap too!

Linda
in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  07:55:23 AM  Show Profile
Wow! I think it is so awsome that everyone was afraid to post here, but did it anyhow. It is true everything we post here is public and if someone was to google "farm witch" this would most likely come up. How inspiring that we all feel "safe" enough in this forum, how sad we don't feel safer in our communities, especially with our own families. . .for wanting to better the world and selves.

Dana I love, love, love your defination of a Witch.
A Woman In Total Control of Herself.

I wish witch's weren't such a threat to religion. Like I said earlier to me it is a respect for other cultures, religion is personal.

I was listening to Ms Myss and she was saying how important it is to keep your beliefs to yourself so not to lose the energy in the words.
I think that goes with the lesson "don't just talk about it, do it"

Has anyone heard from Tasha?
I have been emailing her and no reply, the last I heard was two weeks ago she said she had come down with the flu. We miss you Tasha and hope you are feeling better.

Dana, thank you so much for sharing about yourself. Your honesty and willingness to shine sure gives me the strength to be true to myself. You go girl!

I really want to start a collaboration "Withcy Farm Girl" book. Who would like to do some pages?

Best,
H

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  07:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
For better privacy it would be good to start a chapter for members only.

Linda
in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  08:06:51 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Looks like Tasha is starting one...just read that...
good!
I also want to see some blogs.

Linda
in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  08:09:10 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I haven't read all this yet...but when I found it I wanted to share with ya.

http://pagan-wiccan-practice.suite101.com/article.cfm/what_is_a_kitchen_witch

Linda
in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  08:23:12 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
here is an extension of that link...about how to start a group

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/wicca_witchcraft/111408

Linda
in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

Michigan Girl in TX
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Kristi
Cottonwood Shores TX
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  08:58:52 AM  Show Profile
I think it is absolutely awesome that we are open enough to have this post! I have friends from all walks of religions and beliefs.... from Christianity to Wiccan. I feel the most important thing is to respect others.... regardless of their culture, ideas and beliefs. I like people for who THEY are.

I love that "don't just talk about it , do it"! Too many people just "talk" with no actions! It is the actions that are important!

I too keep my personal beliefs pretty close to my heart but they do come from many different paths.... you can miss out on a lot of wonderful people and ideas if you stay closed minded!

Hugs to all of you!

~Kristi
Farmgirl #474
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  09:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Kristi, I like the way you said that. Thanks and I agree!

Linda
in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  11:01:02 AM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Carol, I've always been curious about those books too. I guess they are all cookbooks, and no other types of recipes? I recently got these two and I like them a lot:

http://rubyurl.com/MrcP
http://rubyurl.com/qNUo

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  12:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Hey Stephanie, I'm not sure what the Kitchen Grimoire books are. There are five of them. I'm hoping one of our Farmgirl sisters has them or has seen them and can let us know. I do have one of the books you posted though, the first one.

And I too have an interest in all type of religions - Christian (I am actually Russian Orthodox), Wicca, Judaism - which for those who don't know a lot about Judaism, they follow a sort of a wheel of the year and a lot of their holidays are nature oriented. It's pretty cool. Also I'm learning Hoodoo which is NOT a religion but it pulls into it the Psalms and the saints. So I too have studied a lot about different religions. And it took me many years to allow myself to pull in and practice things from different religions. I just do a little of this, a little of that. It's what works best for me!! But I LOVE my Kitchen Witchery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  12:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
I also study difference religions - christianity, wicca, buddhism (more of a doctrine, I suppose), hinduism, jainism, etc. I find what works for me and implement it. I like to think I'm an equal-opportunity ritist. :)

And a funny note: I got kicked out of a Russian orthodox church a few years ago for wearing pants! I was offended at the time, but now it's a funny memory. ;)

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  12:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Okay, I just dug out my Kitchen Witch's Cookbook. But I see Stephanie you posted the link to the COMPANION. Do you have the first one, and are they different books? Thanks!

I haven't looked at the Kitchen Witch's Cookbook in a long time, so it will be fun to go through it again.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  1:41:57 PM  Show Profile
Ooh, I didn't know there was another Kitchen Witch's cookbook. gotta get me that. LOL. I have the first one and just love it. the herbal book Stephanie listed looks good too.

I'm really glad to see so many "witchy farm girls", glad everyone got brave and posted. Hugs to all phyllis
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  5:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Oh Stephanie - OMG I wear pants all the time to my church. I guess some of them are strict. I would have been offended, too. I love the Russian Orthodox faith, but there are some things about it that annoy me. I was raised in Baptist church and we never heard about Mary unless it was Christmas time... seriously. So when I began attending Russian Orthodox services, I thought it was THE coolest thing that they make a big deal about Her!!! I love it! In my church she is called the Theotokos, which is a Greek word and means one who gives birth to God. Plus Brigid is my patron saint!!!!!! One reason I have always loved Imbolc!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  5:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Nice, Carol! The reason I was in there is that I had driven by the church every day or almost a year, so one day I went in to see what it was about. It was so gorgeous - colors and artwork everywhere. I was marveling at a particularly beautiful wall when the priest came up to inquire what I was doing. When I said I was curious as what sort of religion lived in that amazing church, he was very nice but asked me to leave and come back in a skirt or dress. I was younger then and took things much more personally. ;)

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  5:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
So, question - in that article that Linda posted, it talks briefly about "hedge witches" and "cottage witches" and how they are different from kitchen witches. Does anyone know what these other two witch types are? I'm really curious now!

Also, I wanted to share with you ladies the program I'm thinking of taking:

http://rubyurl.com/vInS

I'd like to take the two year intensive course (it's much cheaper!) but I think I may do the nightschool version that lasts three years.

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  6:21:54 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
OH MY GOSH! I just googled "hedge witch" and it fits me to a T. There are so many amazing books out there.

Holy smokes, I feel like I just learned my own name! What a weird but wonderful feeling.

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  6:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Okay, Stephanie, I need to google it now. By the way, I really enjoyed your cooking blog! I love to cook and I'm always looking for new recipes.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  7:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Carol!! :D

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  06:01:19 AM  Show Profile
Hey ya'll, good to 'see' you this morning. Stephanie, the course looks great. I would like to do something like that. Just have to find something nearby. I just got a new book yesterday about hedge witchery, it's calledTHE WAY OF THE HEDGE WITCH by Arin Murphy-Hiscock. I haven't read much of it yet, but I like the description of hedge witch, seems to be the way several of us describe ourselves.

Carol, glad you have had better experiences at church that Stephanie did. I grew up in a Baptist church that considered the southern Baptist too liberal. now I don't mean that as an insult, just most of the folks I know that go to southern Baptist churches wouldn't consider themselves liberal. I know many wonderful Christian folks and many more that I feel misuse the name, you know what I mean?? I admire anyone who walks their talk in any religion.

Hope today is a wonderful day for everyone. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  06:23:25 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ya'll! Wouldn't it be fun to take a course like the one Stephanie shared? I would like a southern one and free please!

I am putting together a Maiden Lodge series for my daughter and a friend. When I look at all the stuff I have collected I feel overwhelmed! And why, you ask, haven't I organized it all? Good question, my friend. Lazy? Busy? All of the above? Let's just say I like collecting information. From tarot to crystals to oils to herbs. Luckily my dear friend is going to meet with me May 1 to put together a curriculum format. She is a public school teacher and GOOD at that stuff. I am hoping the 2 girls can invite a couple of more girls so as to have a nice circle. Your never too young to have a "circle" of friends!

Well, tea kettle is singing and the deck calls my name!

Have a magical day, ya'll!

Dana

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
www.schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  08:33:18 AM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Phyllis, please tell me what you think of the book! I was looking at it on Amazon and couldn't really tell all that it talked about. Looks very good though. :)

Dana, what's a Maiden Lodge series?

Oh, and there are online herbal courses that folks might be interested in... here's one I was looking at recently:

http://www.jeannerose.net/courses.html

I love Jeanne Rose. I've been reading her herbal books since I was seven years old. I guess this is in my blood somewhere.

--------------------

Edited by - sjs on Apr 24 2009 08:33:52 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 83 Gathered Up: Previous Topic witchy farmgirls? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page