delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  06:30:11 AM  Show Profile
Well today is the day. I took out 4 cups of the starter since I had been doubling up all week. They look good and are in the oven with the light on so I am praying for good things...
delicia
Go to Top of Page

Farm Diva
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Beth
Asheville NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  08:52:45 AM  Show Profile
I killed my mother! Arrgh! Fed her yesterday and after I put in the flour I got distracted. (Phone rang).Came back put water in and when I stirred it was really lumpy. Used wire wisk to break up lumps. This morning I had no bubbles whatsoever. Just a bowl of goo with some hooch sitting on top. Soooo frustrating! Dumped it out and started over. Sigh. Buying some organic artisan bread is beginning to look better and better!
BTW: Good Luck Delicia!! I'm rooting for you!

Do something you love!
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  2:59:54 PM  Show Profile
Chocolate Chip cookies turned out well. Tomorrow I will try bread. I hope it turns out okay.

Kim (aka missgive)
Proud Farmgirl Sister #927
A Farmgirl Sister headed for my mountain home and farm in 2010.
Go to Top of Page

Farm Diva
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Beth
Asheville NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  7:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Women, it pays to read! I went back through all these posts and discovered my mother probably wasn't dead, just resting! I may have thrown out a whole bowl of good starter! Aw geeze! I figure at this rate I should be baking bread as soon as 2012! LOL!

Do something you love!
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  10:06:00 AM  Show Profile
I had increased my mother & never had time to do my extra bake. Yesterday I made 2 big loaves instead of 4 little ones and they turned out great! I even forgot to put my muffin tin with water in the oven and still great. Perhaps my having a gas oven makes it moist enough!
Question: Mary Jane said not to put your bread in the frige. I've been wrapping it in a towel. After 3 or 4 days it's really dried out. Any suggestions? I freeze any extra loaves.
Thanks,
Marcia

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  11:42:36 AM  Show Profile
I am interested in making my own bread the MaryJane way. I have read several of the posts here that say that the mother "grabs" yeast from the surrounding air.

My question--we have an ancient dog with chronic yeast infection. He spends quite a bit of time in the house. Will my mother pick up that yeast? Is that bad? I'm not sure I want my bread to taste like he smells!!

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Farm Diva
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Beth
Asheville NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  11:56:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi Loyce, this has nothing to do with bread, but I have had incredible results using organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar with my dog.(It must contain the "mother" of vinegar. Will say on the label.) I put a tsp in her water, and a tablespoon mixed in with her food. She doesn't stink anymore, and her coat is lustrous and thick. No hot spots, no flaky crud on her skin, reduced the flea count. You can also dilute it with water and spray on the skin and coat. Do an internet search, there are lots of testimonials for ACV! It's good for you, too!
Welcome to the bread baking dialog! Good luck!

Do something you love!
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  4:45:09 PM  Show Profile
Like many others, first loaf was pretty much a flop. No rise, thick, but still good.

I baked it in this stoneware loaf pan...

I put some more in the oven to rise, for take two. And it rose!! It was sooo pretty!

And it is so good! Yay! I'm feeding "Ma Ethel" more, so I can bake more often. I'm sooo excited!

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson

www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

Farm Diva
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Beth
Asheville NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  4:56:34 PM  Show Profile
Alicia, thanks for posting the pictures! Wow, what lovely loaves you have, my dear! It helps me to see what is coming out of other ovens! I'm hanging tough. Hopefully my new batch of mother will be ready sunday for baking.

Do something you love!
Go to Top of Page

jelliott
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Jennifer
Athol Idaho
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  3:50:29 PM  Show Profile
I made cinnamon rolls with my mother this last Saturday, and they were wonderful. Family liked them and so did my friends. They were wonderful. Raised wonderfully and wow did the house smell great for the rest of the day. YUMMMMMMMM

I am so glad that I stuck with this whole process, now I am sharing with friends and they are going to start their own mothers. yeah whooooooo

If music be the food of Love, play on. Wm. Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  11:14:27 AM  Show Profile
I am still not seeing and bubbles or hootch. (3rd week) It always gets a crust on it. I am not going to give up. We made waffles over the weekend and they were great. I am just nervous to make bread again with out seeing any yeast action.

Any ideas for me.

Thanks,
Stephanie

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  11:33:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Great for you Alica it has been a while sence I have made bread. Christmas and a lot longer sence I have made or used any mother but with the prices of things and the ingredents that are in them everyone is better off cooking everything from scratch and by themselves. Followed you the last few days. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  6:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Hi farm diva (Beth) thanks for the advice on the dog I sure am going to try it. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  6:30:49 PM  Show Profile
You know you can build up your starter and then divide it and have 2 or more going all the time. We are using so much for waffles and pancakes that I needed some for the breads too. So I divided and now have 6 cups at the ready at all times.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  12:21:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness. I started my mother about over a week ago and let her get good and bubbly before I even tried to use her. Prepared for a very long rise and potential disappointment I plopped the dough in my 2 qt corningware casserole in a warmed up oven and let her sit while I took the oldest to Awana last night. She was up over the top of the casserole in about 4-5 hours time! Baked her while the boy got ready for bed (stayed up late just for bread!) It was delicious and crispy on the outside, thick and chewy inside. Just glorious! Not dark at all, but just a lovely golden color. LOVE using the thermometer. The boy says it's better than cake! I am so happy I could sing.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  06:48:21 AM  Show Profile
Wow Amy! How wonderful!
I have been doing this for over a year (ever since the original article in the magazine came out) and I have never had such great results. I have had decent, pretty good or really good results, depending on the week and recipe, but never quite as great as you described. So you just keep up that good work.
Right now, my starter is in the freezer, because I just want a break from that daily commitment, and want the space back on my counter. I also have my seed sprouts (square inch gardening) going, so that takes space on the counter, too.
I must admit, I have tried three batches of "Healthy Breads in Five Minutes a Day", and have had much better results than most of my MJ sourdough breads. I am glad to be able to use different methods to make different kinds of simple and healthy breads. But I kind of got discouraged that after all this time and care that I have put into the sourdough, it is never as wonderful as I'd like. My daughter loves it and even prefers it to the "Healthy in 5" breads I have made. But my husband and I do not.
So, I'll keep doing both, and also use the bread machine sometimes. So that no matter what, we will have some sort of homemade bread.

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

jelliott
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Jennifer
Athol Idaho
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  12:57:04 PM  Show Profile
Don't do what I did the other day and leave the bread to rise and then forget to bake it. I left in to raise most of the day, had some issues that came up and forgot to bake it at the end of the day. REmembered the next morning, it was eatable but very flat and dry. sniff sniff.
The best thing I have made with mine is cinnamon rolls. Lots of folks loved them.

If music be the food of Love, play on. Wm. Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  09:10:16 AM  Show Profile
Loaf number 3 came out great. I shared my mother with a friend who made sourdough pancakes from the recipe I found on one of the early pages (17? maybe earlier than that). Last night we had Brinner (breakfast dinner), sourdough pancakes, omlets with turkey eggs, and fresh sausage. The pancakes were wonderful!!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  07:18:39 AM  Show Profile
Well, today is a major baking day - cinnamon-raisin breakfast rolls, oatmeal bread and EXTRA-chocolate walnut brownies....used up all my "mother" - will start again when I return from his week out of state. I couldn't figure out what to do to take care of my mother while I was away, figured "o what the hay,just go baking crazy" and take the results with us for the trip...The breads are rising, the brownies are done and I am off to do more cleaning and packing....

Kim
"This is a time for you to....vacate and reboot!" MJ Butters
I am on my way....

Kim (aka missgive)
Proud Farmgirl Sister #927
A Farmgirl Sister headed for my mountain home and farm in 2010.
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  07:34:44 AM  Show Profile
LOVING the sourdough. Shared some mother with my mother :). Hers turned out well, too. Have had to up my feedings since the bread is going fast, fast, fast here. Turned her whole wheat this week since that's what I had on hand and added some dough enhancer to the dough when baking. My DH who HATES whole wheat snapped it up and didn't even notice that it was whole wheat! I've been keeping my mother in a tall thin oval tupperware (oval 4, I think they call it) container with a damp towel on top. I have exactly one tiny counter, so space is precious here. Takes up all of about 8 square inches of counter real estate since it's so tall. The best part is that when the mother dries on the side I can squeeze the container and just peel it off. I've got the dry bits in a freezer bag in the freeze in case I ever need to "re-start" her!

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  6:16:55 PM  Show Profile
I'm so please with my bread! One large & 2 small this week. It's so nice, when we are busy, to make a big yummy salad and wonderful
bread. It's just the 2 of us most of the time, so I usually give half away and the other half takes care of us.
Thank you Mary Jane, and all you fellow farm girls for advice and ideas along the way! What a great sisterhood!

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  4:58:18 PM  Show Profile
This morning I changed from the organic unbleached white flour I have been buying and started using fresh milled white whole wheat that I have in my pantry. My mother seems happy and so am I! I'd much rather use whole grains. So, we'll see how my bread turns out on Sunday... the story continues....

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  8:11:16 PM  Show Profile
Last night I made my first loaf of MJs bread. I let it rise all day and it did nothing. So when I baked it, it was the same as when I put it in the pan. However, it had the most wonderful sour taste--just like sourdough--even though it was very dense and doughy.

So for this next week, do I continue with the dry dishtowel or go ahead and use the wet towel over the bowl? How do I get the loaf to rise more?

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  8:25:34 PM  Show Profile
It was several weeks before I got good bread. I had read so many posts about 'first loaves' that I waited. I made sour dough blueberry muffins the first week. Good. Every week since it just gets better. I add more honey than it calls for. I began using the wet towel, as instructed.
Hope this helps, Loyce. Happy baking!
Marcia

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  8:54:43 PM  Show Profile
My first loaf of MJ's sour dough bread with white whole wheat flour turned out great! My husband says he likes it better! Yay!

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page