True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  5:25:34 PM  Show Profile
Ellie,
You are right I have just read through and I am going to keep trying. Going to look for a cast iron loaf pan also. The pictures I saw looked good and the great thing is knowing that it just needs to keep going. I am usually a better house guest the second week also so here is hoping that me and mom get along better next Saturday....
delicia
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  7:30:49 PM  Show Profile
The Peanut Butter Cookies and Blueberry muffins were a hit last week - the cookies were gone by Tuesday (made them Sunday) and the muffins lasted until Friday, only becaue I doled them out. Made the Applesauce Doughnuts today, but added oatmeal to them and baked them (got a great doughnut pan) instead of frying them. They were like the old-fashioned cake doughnuts - I also added extra spices. I made aglaze with brown sugar, maple syrup and honey. Delicious and the ones without glaze wre much healthier....May make waffles too....

Now my question - what do you do with the mother when you go away on vacation? Should she be stored in the refrigerator? Or do I have to start over again? She is so happy and sour, and stinky and bubbly....I would hate to lose her now. Please help - we go on March 27th.

Kim

Kim (aka missgive)
Proud Farmgirl Sister #927
A Farmgirl Sister headed for my mountain home and farm in 2010.
Go to Top of Page

Ms. Hannigan
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Shari
Middle TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  9:29:45 PM  Show Profile
I'm so going to try this! I've been making no-knead bread from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, but it takes up space in my fridge, and still uses yeast. I can't wait to try this out.

...some women are drippin' with diamonds... some women are drippin' with pearls... look at me, lucky me, the only thing I'm drippin' with is... little girls...
Farmgirl #1158
blog: http://www.lifegetsmessy.com

Edited by - Ms. Hannigan on Feb 27 2010 9:30:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

jelliott
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Jennifer
Athol Idaho
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  11:40:25 PM  Show Profile
Sniff sniff, my first loaf of bread came out of the oven and it was hard, hard, and it didn't raise until I put it in to bake, after eight hours of letting it raise. Does anyone have any hints. My mother did very well during the week and looked good this morning when I took out the two cups to start the loaf of bread. The inside wasn't so hard but it was very very very dense and heavy. Sniff Sniff

If music be the food of Love, play on. Wm. Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  01:07:24 AM  Show Profile
jelliott, I baked my first round today also and had the same result as you. I now have read through the earlier post and am hoping for better luck next week. It seems as though the longer your mother sits the better she get's. I am also going to try putting her in my oven and turning the oven light on during her rising time. So I think we are both on the right track just need to keep going and not give up.
d
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  11:24:34 AM  Show Profile
I think last year it took 4 weeks before my bread would rise. Don't give up.
Where did you find the doughnut recipe? I've been searching for one!

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  11:29:27 AM  Show Profile
Nevermind - I found the doughnut recipe!

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

jelliott
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Jennifer
Athol Idaho
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  1:16:40 PM  Show Profile
Donuts, where are the donuts, they sound good. Perhaps I will try that in a few. Gotta get the bread raising going right first.

Go to Top of Page

jelliott
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Jennifer
Athol Idaho
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  1:18:47 PM  Show Profile
Delicia,
I have three grandkids in Cincinatti, visit once a year. Quite different from North Idaho. I love it when you can find "farmgirls" everywhere.

Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  4:37:29 PM  Show Profile
I know it makes life so much more fun.. You can go anywhere and have a friend.
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  08:38:07 AM  Show Profile
My computer crashed & I'm learning to use a new one...but my husband said my bread last Sunday was the best I've made! If at first you don't succeed!

Marcia Jean
Certified Farmgirl #956
Working on expanding my organic garden & wanting chickens & a Jersey cow!

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

Farm Diva
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Beth
Asheville NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  12:56:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm fighting with my mother! Managed to make one loaf of fairly decent bread,(posted about this earlier), but then my mother kind of pooped out. I've never had a good bowl of bubbling stuff. Had several bowls of no bubble goop with pickle juice smell, and one bowl that kind of bubbled with hooch that was a grey color...? Ew, is it supposed to be grey?Did I give up too soon? I've tried stirring a lot, not stirring too much, wetting the towel, not wetting the towel! I feel like a mad scientist! I hope one day I can yell EUREKA!!! I'm thinking about feeding my mother twice a day. Anyone have experience with 2x a day feedings? I thought maybe this would ramp up the fermentation? I have to laugh at myself because at this point I refuse to give up. Pancakes, schmancakes! I want BREAD!

Do something you love!
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  07:30:59 AM  Show Profile
Happy Saturday:

I am at work but, took my 2 cups out from my mother and am going to try the pizza tonight. I have willowtreecreek (Julie's) recipe and hers looked so wonderful. I hope that mine turns out half as good.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  07:37:46 AM  Show Profile
I tried making a mother last year when the magazine came out and had a little success. Like others my first batch was a bit tough, but my then 7 year old said he loved it, thought it tasted "cheesy". I can see it, that sour tang is bit like the bite from sharp cheddar. Sadly, I dumped my mother when we cleared the house of all gluten and dairy for my youngest son. We gave it almost 8 months. The diet didn't help, so I'm SO excited to be heading out to get new flour and start anew! My youngest had me up in the wee hours and I managed to fold a load of wash and read the first 17 pages of this thread. It's such an adventure! I can't hardly wait.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

Farm Diva
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Beth
Asheville NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  07:52:48 AM  Show Profile
I took a BIG leap of faith this morning. Dumped 2 cups of mother in to a bowl and made the no knead dough. It is currently sitting in a warmish spot while I've gone to work for the day.
Here's hoping that it will have done something by the time I get home. My mother was more bubbly than it ever has been, (though not as much as I think it should be), has nice clean vinegar smell. If this doesn't pan out (pun intended), I suppose the birds will benefit!

Do something you love!
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  4:32:17 PM  Show Profile
The pizza turned out great. The dough was just right. I am so happy that I did not give up last week. Went out and bought a bigger bowl for my mother and am looking forward to the round loaves next week.

delicia
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  8:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Hello, This is my second Sat of trying the mother. Last Sat I took the 2 cups out, followed the directions and it didn't rise. I didn't even bake it. I guess I should have and fed the birds as the previous poster mentioned as a positive.
Today there is absolutly no bubble or hootch. I have had a thick crust like substance along the sides the last few days. It almost looks like it's been baked.
Do I keep going, adding more and more with out using the 2 cups? Should I make pizza or waffles out of it? Is it still healthy to eat if it has not matured enough to make the bubbles? When do you just toss?
Enough rambles....just wondering what to do. I didn't do a thing today but stir it.

Thanks so much. Stephanie

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  08:05:53 AM  Show Profile
Okay - this week I will be attempting bagels and brownies wth my mother - eyeing chocolate chip cookies too, for next week. Making my cinnamon raisin buns for breakfast this week - I love this stuff - each week we get better and better results as I learn more, try more and my mother grows stronger - I have to find someone to feed my mother while I am away in the mountains (Taking some to bake with, since we travel on her day of rest- will bake on Sunday up there) and will dry some at some point to have in case of emergency down the road!!!! Keep it up anmd GO MAMA!
Kim

Kim (aka missgive)
Proud Farmgirl Sister #927
A Farmgirl Sister headed for my mountain home and farm in 2010.
Go to Top of Page

Farm Diva
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Beth
Asheville NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  10:39:07 AM  Show Profile
Came home and the dough had done a bit of rising, but nothing near to what happened when I used the knead method. Baked it anyway. Not a stellar result at all, didn't rise any more during baking. Nice flavor but that's about it. I think my mother needs to age and grow stronger. Maybe when I use the knead method, the bread rises because the yeast eats the sugars that are released as the gluten develops from the kneading process? Wow, I really do sound like a mad scientist! I think I'm going to take the lack luster loaf and slice it thinly, toast it in the oven then whiz it up in the food processor for some sour dough breadcrumbs. Sorry birds!

Do something you love!
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  2:47:08 PM  Show Profile
I was disappointed before and then reading through all the earlier post just kept feeding her and this week had better results. I am going to bake bread next week and have high hopes for that. I read in one of the earlier post that some ladies were putting them into the oven and turning the oven light on for her rising time. That sounded like a fine idea and I am going to give that a go this Sat.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  2:04:39 PM  Show Profile
I happened to be at Wally world after deciding to make this starter, and I found Wheat Montana whole wheat flour. It says all natural, nothing added, nothing removed, chemical and GMO free. I have no idea what it cost, I was so excited to find it!
So my mother has been Wheat Montana flour and well water. She's done well, smelling sour dough-ey, bubbles, and my first loaf is rising now. Fingers crossed!

Alicia

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson

www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

jelliott
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Jennifer
Athol Idaho
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  10:54:40 PM  Show Profile
MIne was better this last Saturday, however, my mother is really bubbly this week and seems to be healthier, (if there is such a thing). I think that I will try some of the other recipes this next time and see what the family thinks. I am so glad that I hung in there and waited and tried again. Worth it.

My mother was like bisquit dough to start with and now she is more liquidy and nice. After feeding her she is a bit thicker but is like velvet when stirring her. What an earthy experience.

Go to Top of Page

Farm Diva
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Beth
Asheville NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  06:37:33 AM  Show Profile
Gearing up for Saturday. I think "Mom" is getting stronger. I have more bubbles and she's developed a bit of hooch. Starting to smell both yeasty and vinegary. I can't decide which way to go, though. MJ's no knead or knead method...decisions!

Do something you love!
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  06:46:47 AM  Show Profile
I have a friend who is an awesome home brewer (beer). I used one of his brews in the slow cooker yesterday to make pulled pork and had a some left. What do you think of leaving the bottle on the counter by my mother? She's less than a week old. Would the yeasties from the beer be potentially harmful or helpful? I'd love to have a nice rise on this first batch of bread Saturday. Maybe I'll do a second mother and experiment a little. I have only one tiny countertop so I'd have to put the step mother (or mother -in-law?) in a different place with her beer...hee-hee.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  1:23:01 PM  Show Profile
My mother is smelly so that is a great thing. I am really excited this might be my best baking Saturday.
delicia
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page