wannab
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

donna
ruston la
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  5:34:35 PM  Show Profile
Yum! Now that looks tasty. I attempted the 'Mother' and it failed. I have since (today) made another sourdough starter using yeast. I have had no luck finding the organic flour. But now I see a link or two here so now I am off to purchase flour via the internet. Thanks for the info.

"If you need help ask God, if you don't Thank God."
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  7:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
wannab, keep trying...don't feel bad if you had to use another type of recipe to get a starter going! We are all pretty laid back here (unlike some groups that I've been in where if you aren't a "purist" they cut you down).

Julie...you bake the most beautiful things and then take the best pictures of them too!

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  7:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Sideways Sourdough Fruit Cake from The Carefree Gourmet - by Joyce McCombs

A lot of people run away screaming when fruit cake appears on the table - maybe you can call it Sideways Cake instead. I tried to find out if there was a substitute for the brandy, but the only thing I came up with was sherry or hard cider. The alcohol might not be to your liking, but it's traditional in most fuitcakes and does help preserve the cake for a long time. Remember you have to start soaking the dried fruit the night before you bake.

1 1/2 cups dark raisins
1 1/2 cups golden raisins
3 cups assorted dried fruit
(try cranberries, dates, apricots, prunes, cherries)
1 cup brandy, heated
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup shortening
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 eggs, well beaten
1 cup sourdough starter
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons salt

Line two 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans with a double thickness of wax paper, then grease the paper well.

Rinse, drain and coarsely chop all the dried fruit and place in large heat proof bowl and mix in hot cider (or brandy). Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let stand overnight.

The next day, cream the sugars, shortening and spices together until fluffy. Beat in eggs. Stir in sourdough sponge. Combine with fruit mixture and almonds.

Sift flour, baking soda and salt together into batter and mix thoroughly. Turn into prepared loaf pans. Bake at 275 for 2 1/2 hours or until loaves test done, turning pans twice.

Cool loaves completely on wire racks before removing paper. Spoon 2 to 3 additional tablespoons of brandy over each cooled loaf before storing. Wrap in foil and refrigerate before slicing.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  7:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Sourdough Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce from The Carefree Gourmet - by Joyce McCombs

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup sourdough starter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup flour
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 and grease and flour a 9 inch square baking pan. Cream together butter and sugar; add egg and mix well. Add molasses, sourdough starter, cinnamon, ginger, ground cloves, nutmeg, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix. Add flour and milk and beat well. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes until cake tests done. Try it with this tang sauce:

Lemon Sauce

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel

Mix sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in 1 cup water. Cool over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture become thick. Remove from heat and stir in butter, lemon juice and peel. Serve hot over Sourdough Gingerbread.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  7:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Sourdough Bran Bread from The Carefree Gourmet - by Joyce McCombs

1 cup sourdough starter
4 tablespoons molasses
1 package dry yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm water
3/4 cup powdered milk
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups whole bran cereal
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 to 2 cups all-purpose flour

Place starter in a large mixing bowl. Add powdered milk, egg, butter and salt. Add cereal and whole wheat flour. Mix well by hand. Add flour until dough cleans the side of the bowl. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once. Cover with a cloth. Set in warm place for 1 hour.

Punch down. Shape into loaf and place into greased loaf pan. Cover with cloth and let rise in warm place, free from draft, for 1 hour. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  7:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Sourdough Applesauce Cake from The Carefree Gourmet - by Joyce McCombs

Ingredients:
1 cup Sourdough starter
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup dry skim milk
1 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons soda
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 350 and grease and lightly flour an 8 inch square cake pan. Combine starter, milk, flour, and applesauce, and let stand in a covered bowl in a warm place. Cream the sugars and butter together until light. Add the beaten egg and mix well. Add spices. Add a half cup of raisins or chopped nuts, if desired, or a mixture of the two. Beat until well mixed and no lumps remain. Bake at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes. Test for doneness with a knife when half an hour is up. Allow to cool completely before slicing.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  8:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Sourdough Chiffon Cake

1 1/3 c All-purpose flour

3/4 c Sugar

1 1/2 ts Baking powder, double-acting

1/2 ts Salt

1/4 c Vegetable oil

1/4 c Water, cold

4 Egg yolks

1/2 c Sourdough starter

1/2 ts Vanilla

1 tb Fresh lemon juice

1/4 ts Cream of tartar

4 Egg whites

Mix and sift the first four ingredients. Make a well and add the oil, water, egg yolks, sourdough starter, vanilla and lemon juice. Beat until smooth. Now add the cream of tarter to the egg whites. beat the whites until well blended. Be slure to fold very gently. Turn into an ungreased 9-inch tube pan. Bake for 1 hour in a 325F oven. Cake should spring back when touched with finger. Immediately turn pan upside down placing tube over neck of bottle. Let hang to cool. Loosen with spatula to remove from pan. From Pat`s Sourdough and Favorite Recipes ISBN# 0-9625098-1-7

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  8:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Sourdough Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup sourdough starter
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon saltMix peanut butter, butter, brown sugar and flour. Add butter and remaining ingredients; form into small balls and press down with fork. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes on ungreased cookie sheet.Yields 36 cookies.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  8:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Sourdough Spice Cookies with Maple Frosting

1/4 cup soft shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup sourdough starter
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon hot water
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon gingerMix together the shortening, brown sugar, egg, molasses and sourdough starter. To this add baking soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water.Sift together flour, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon, and add to the first mixture. Drop by teaspoon onto lightly greased cookie sheet and bake about 10 minutes in 350 degree F oven.When cool, frost with Maple Frosting.Maple Frosting: Blend thoroughly 1 cup confectioners` sugar, 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring and 2 tablespoons cream or milk.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  8:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
These come from Adventures in Sourdough Cooking and Baking by Charles D. Wilford. If you like to cook with sourdough you chould get this book!!
Sourdough Oatmeal Cookies
1-1/2 cups sourdough starter
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup cream or evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla
2-1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 cups rolled oats

Let all ingred. come to room temp. Cream shortening with sugar and brown sugar. Beat the egg and stir it in. Add the cream and beat until light and fluffy. Stir in starter and vanilla; mix well. Add soda , salt, and cinnamon to flour and mix well. Add this to batter, 1/2 at a time, stirring after each addition. Add oats 1/2 cup at a time and mix well. Drop by spoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 12-15 min. Cool on wire rack. Yield: 4 doz-3" cookies
note: 1 cup raisins or 1/2 cup chopped nuts may be added with oats.
This I got from here at TKL
* Exported from MasterCook *

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  8:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Black Bean and Chipotle Bread
Also known as
Mexicali Heat

This recipe was adapted from Mark Miller and Andrew Maclauchlan's "Flavored Breads - Recipes from the Mark Miller's Coyote Cafe"

I've never been to the Coyote Cafe, but I've heard only good things about it, and the flavored breads title got me interested. The book was being remaindered, so it was all the more attractive. It was worth full price. However, being a sourdough fan(atic), I didn't want to make this bread with a sponge, the way Mark Miller and Andrew Maclauchlan do. So, it's been converted to sourdough. It is a moist, well risen loaf, that is rich with black beans, and warmed by the chipotle peppers. Mark Miller says it's reminiscent of a black bean soup, and I have to agree, but it's the smoky pepper bite that really makes this pepper-belly happy. Makes 3 good-sized loaves or 2 large loaves.

When we were running our bakery, we had trouble giving this bread away. Until we changed the name to "Mexicali Heat" - it just goes to shoe you that a name does matter, William Shakespear not withstanding. No matter what you call this bread, I think you'll like it.

Ingredients:
2 cups active sourdough starter
2 cups (1 lb) dried black beans, picked through and rinsed
1 cup reserved cooking liquid
3 1/2 cups bread flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, or 1 1/4 tsp dried regular Oregano
8 dried chipotle chiles, stemmed and chopped (about 1/4 cup ), or 5 teaspoons canned minced chipotles
1 1/3 tablespoons barbecue sauce

Method:
1. Do whatever you need to do to prepare two cups of active sourdough starter. While the starter is fermenting away go to step 2.

2. Pick over and clean the 2 cups of black beans. Cook until done. Make sure they are fully cooked.

3. Next drain the beans, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid per batch of bread. If you don't have that much cooking liquid left, dilute the liquid with water to make 1 cup of liquid per batch.

4. Pulse the cooked beans in a food processor about a cup at a time until they are chunky, but not pureed. Try not to leave any beans whole and intact. The texture of the bean puree will affect the texture of the bread - you choose how smooth or chunky you want the bread.

5. Pour the reserved cooking liquid into a large mixing bowl.

6. Add the beans and sourdough starter to the cooking liquid.

7. Remove and discard the stems from the peppers. Chop the chipotle peppers. If you are using dried peppers this will be messy as they are dry and brittle. Use all the pepper, and the seeds as well.

8. Add and stir in the whole wheat flour, chipotle peppers, cumin, oregano, salt, and barbecue sauce.

9. Stir, and add the bread flour a cup at a time, until the dough becomes too stiff to stir. Pour out the dough into a well floured surface.

20. Knead the dough, kneading in additional flour as needed, until the dough is fairly smooth and springy. You may need to add more flour than is called for above, depending on how liquid the beans are. Knead 6 to 10 minutes. The dough should be soft and lively.

11. Transfer the dough to a lightly oil ed bowl, turn, and cover with plastic wrap.

12. Let rise in a warm place for 1 - 2 hours, or until approximately doubled in volume.

13. Punch the dough down, transfer to a well-floured surface, and cut into 2 or 3 equal pieces.

14. Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal (or spray with Baker's Joy).

15. Shape the dough into loaves. Mark and Andrew suggested round loaves, I made oval loaves instead.

16. Place the loaves on the baking sheet, cover with a moistened and wrung out linen cloth, and let rise again in a warm place for 1 hour.

17. The original recipe calls for a baking stone. I suggest you use a baking stone or quarry tiles. Whether or nor not you such, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

18. You may spay the loaves with water, and then lightly dust them with whole wheat flour. I didn't. However, you can get much the same effect with a banneton.

19. Make 2 or 3 diagonal slashes in the tops of the loaves with a razor blade to allow the dough to expand in the hot oven.

20. Put the bread in the oven, and put a cup of water into a tray on the bottom of your oven. (I use a disposable baking pan to hold the water.)

21. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is caramel brown, and the loaf is done. While some people like the "thump" test, I prefer to take the bread's temperature with a quick reading thermometer. At my altitude, I shoot for an internal temperature is 195 degrees F. At sea level, I'd try for 205 to 210F.

22. Cool the loaves on a rack.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  8:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Seven Grain Cereal Bread

This bread is based on a recipe from "Natural Health" magazine. It is a very, very nice bread. It was supposed to use quick rising yeast to get the bread ready to bake in less than an hour. You know how I feel about that… so the recipe went into the lab, and has been reformed. A warning… this bread has enough fiber to keep a regiment ahhhh... well... regular. If you are not used to a very high fiber diet, be careful with this bread. These loaves were allowed to rise in a banneton, a wicker basket that is lined with a floured cloth. The basket helps the loaf achieve its distinctive shape.

Ingredients:
1 cup starter
1 cup water
1 1/8 cups White Flour
1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 tsp Salt
2 tbsp oil
2 tsp Barley malt extract (available in health food stores)
1 tbsp rolled oats
1/2 cup 7grain cereal (I've been used Arrowhead Mills and Bob's Red Mill)
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cups 7grain cereal
1/2 cups Toasted seeds (opt) (see note)

Some preparatory steps:

If you want to turn this into seeded seven grain bread, which I recommend, add 1 more tsp malted barley to the recipe, and about 1/2 cup of toasted seeds. I use 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds, 2 tbsp flax seeds, 2 tbsp sesame seeds, and 1 tsp poppy seeds. Toast 'em in a hot dry skillet until fragrant. Set them aside and let them cool.

Cook 1/2 cup of the cereal in 1 1/2 cups water. Cook until the water is absorbed. Don't add salt, the bread has enough as it is. Once cooked, let the cereal cool to reasonable temperature.

You may grind the remaining 3/4 cup of cereal in a spice or coffee grinder, although I haven't ground the rest of the cereal, and the bread has been just fine.

Once the seeds, if you're going to use them, and the cereal are cool, continue….

Whisk the water, starter, barley malt, the cooked and cooled cereal, and the oil together. Add and whisk in the ground cereal, whole wheat flour, salt and whisk together. Add the white flour. Add the seeds, if you are making seeded seven-grain bread –and remember to add an extra ½ tsp of the malted barley extract.

Mix in white flour, and knead until it's ready. The windowpane test is NOT appropriate here. The bread is a pain to knead, and because of the variable amount of water in the cooked cereal, it will take some adjustment in the amount of flour. Add a mixture of white and whole wheat flour. I have doubled the amount of flour in this recipe on some occasions. Trust your feeling for the dough, and go with the flow.

Form the dough into a ball, place into the cleaned and oil ed mixing bowl, turn the ball over, and then cover. Let the bread rise.

Once the bread has doubled in size, deflate the bread, knead again, and then shape into loaves. I like to let this bread rise in a basket to get a round loaf.

When loaves have risen, brush them with water and gently press the rolled oats into top of loaf.

Slash the loaves and bake at 400F for about 40 minutes.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  8:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Sourdough Oatmeal Coconut Cookies
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 each eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sourdough start
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups flaked or shredded coconut
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nutmeats

Cream shortening, sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. Stir in buttermilk and start. Add dry ingredients and stir well. Fold in rolled oats, coconut, raisins and nuts. Drop small gobs onto cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  8:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Sourdough Sugar Cookies
1 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract or almond extract
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sourdough starter
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
Lemon-Milk Frosting (see recipe below)
In a large bowl, cream vegetable shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs, lemon or almond extract and vanilla extract until mixture is fluffy. Stir in sourdough starter; set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into sourdough mixture. Refrigerate dough, covered, at least 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured board, roll dough to 1/4-inch thick; cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 8to 10 minutes or until very lightly browned on the bottoms. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks. When cool, frost with Lemon-Milk Frosting and decorate as desired.
Yields 3 to 5 dozen cookies (depending on the size of cookie you make).
Lemon-Milk Frosting:
2 cups powdered (confectioners) sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons milk
In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, lemon extract, and enough milk to make frosting easy to spread. Tint, if desired, with a few drops of food coloring.
NOTE: Depending on the size of your cookies, you might need to double the frosting recipe.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  8:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Sourdough pretzel recipe
Yield: 20 pretzels, about 4 to 5 inches across, hard crust, soft center.

1-1/2 cups proofed batter
1 cup hot water
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
5-1/2 cups all purpose flour

coarse salt

1. Let all ingredients and utensils come to room temperature
2. Add the 2 tablespoons butter, the 3 tablespoons, sugar, and the 2 tsp salt to the cup of hot water. Cool to lukewarm.
3. Put the proofed batter into a warm bowl. Add the cooled water mixture.
4. Add 4 cups of flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition.
5. Turn out onto a floured board and knead in approximately 1-1/2 cups more of the flour. The dough will be very stiff. (gk: They ain't kiddin'!)
6. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turn over, and cover. Let set for 2 hours to proof.
7. On a board which has been scraped clean of flour break of pieces of the dough about the size of a large egg. Roll each piece out with the palm of your hands until it is about 18 inches long and about 1/2 inch in diameter. Twist into the shape of a pretzel.
8. Bring a pot of water to a rapid boil. Drop as many pretzels as will fit without touching into the water and cook about 30 seconds after they have risen to the top. (Or longer, if you like a chewier pretzel.)
9. Remove to a baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt.
10. Bake in a preheated 425*F oven for 15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and cool on wire racks.

Go to Top of Page

ginnybee
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Ginny
Seattle WA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  8:40:29 PM  Show Profile
Success! After several days of planning and following others' progress on the forum, I baked my own wild-yeast bread. My house is on the cool side, and my mother - though bubbly - didn't seem very active (no hooch). I put the dough in my 5 qt. dutch oven and let it rise for about 9 hours. I knew it would be flat because of the large container but it still rose and tasted wonderful. I can't believe I made bread with just flour and water. I'm converted. I used distilled water and organic flour - I started with all purpose organic flour from my coop (it's Wheatland Flour from Utah, in case anyone cares). Halfway through the week, I remembered that I had organic bread flour (same miller, I think) and switched to that.
Go to Top of Page

Liz103811
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Liz
Edina MN
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  03:59:59 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for the pumpernickel bread recipe. I followed your directions exactly. The bread is delicious! I would highly recommend this recipe. I never would have guessed there is coffee and cocoa in pumpernickel bread.

Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  05:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Good morning ladies! I just love being a part of this group. I'm sitting here drinking delicious Colorado Chokecherry tea and reading all of your positive thoughts and comments and drooling over the recipes and pictures. I don't even like brownies but I sure wanted one after seeing that beautiful picture!

I can't wait to get started. I live in a very small town and am having a heck of a time finding flour and even a large enough mixing bowl. I made a 90 mile round-trip Friday in search of baking equipment with no luck. I'm just going to look on the internet and order the bowls.

My DH works for the oil fields here in Colorado, we rent a completely furnished home and all of my considerable cooking equipment is back home in Washington! I miss it! So, today I'm headed to the "fancy" grocery store in search of flour, Walmart in one last effort for mixing bowls and I'm hoping I get to start my starter this afternoon. Otherwise it is www.cooking.com for me! Wish me luck!

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  07:53:17 AM  Show Profile
I got my first batch of bread made Sat night. Like Ginny, I used a dutch oven that was a little too big so my bread was kind of falt. But the tast was so very sour dough! I have everyone on the lookout for a smaller cast iron pan. Yesterday, I made a batch of soft cheese and needless to say, the bread was gone in no time. And I didn't get to season the cheese until it was about half gone.

So now I have a question, Now that I have started my daily additions again, Do I have to wait until Sat to make bread? Would like to make some on Friday.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  08:27:47 AM  Show Profile
WOW - Lisa! That's Really All I can say! WOW! I'll add all of the recipes to the index tonight and repost it!

Liz - thanks for the compliments. I researched the recipe and took elements from a lot of different ones I saw. I was out of cocoa and didn't add it to mine when I made it so mine was lighter in color. I thought surely Coffee would alter the flavor but when I took a bite it was EXACTLY what I had been expecting!

Peggy - you can order flour from MaryJane! Here is the link http://shopping.maryjanesfarm.org/s.nl/it.A/id.1891/.f

It is a little expensive but SO WORTH IT! I have been experimenting with several different kinds and MaryJanes is just superior! I just got a 20# box in the mail! Thats a lot of flour!!!

Belle - You should be fine to use it on Friday. I use mine all days of the week. If you want to bake more than once (or use more than 2 cups of starter per week) you will want to double your feedings a couple days a week.)

Ginny - So glad you had success!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  08:38:28 AM  Show Profile

All of these recipes sound so good (except the fruit cake). No, it's not because it's "fruit cake". I don't drink alcoholic beverages and there is not anything to use except brandy and such things. Oh well, on to more important things. I have a question. Do any of you use "Pampered Chef" products? They have stone bakeware. I have thought about ordering the loaf pan. My daughters love to use these products. They think they're wonderful. (uhoh, did that sound like I'm selling this product?) No, no, no!

All of you have a very BLESSED Day.
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  09:05:01 AM  Show Profile
Peggy,
You can get KA flour at the City Market in Rifle. There is also a antoque store there on 3rd st. that might have a bowl that you can use.

Elinor
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  09:13:22 AM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Coffee and chocolate--I made the chocolate cake this week and my recipe called for either expresso powder or one cup of strong coffee. The reason stated in the recipe is that it brings out the flavor of your chocolate.

I'm an internet/computer geek and a little OCD. Had a horrible day with my back yesterday, so posting the recipes was a good project to keep me busy. Never can do anything half way. My late husband said that I had 2 speeds...the speed of light or off.

Once your starter is well established (meaning you are getting results that make you happy), then in my opinion it is ok to use it whenever you like. I bake when the spirit moves me now, and just feed mother according to my plans for the week.

Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  11:14:09 AM  Show Profile
It's been awhile since I posted anything here. Was having a wonderful time with "ethel" until I took my mom to visit her sisters one day and my dh fed her with a METAL spoon! We laid her to rest last Wednesday and started again last thursday. Ethel #2 is doing really well and bubbly! looking forward to my bread again...needless to say my dh will NOT be using any metal spoons for awhile :) I bought him a new set of wooden ones just for him.
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  12:12:03 PM  Show Profile
Well....I lost ALL my subscriptions to topics so I am testing here as my first one to see if I get notified....I must have had too many and they are now GONE!!! LOL! That'll teach me!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page