Page: of 80

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  2:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Elinor~ I just noticed a couple of pages back that you're from Meeker and I was going post a note to you to say what a small world! I went to City Market just this morning and was successful with the KA flour. I was at the Antique shop the other day with no luck, but found some things this morning at WalMart! Thanks for the tips. DH and I have a very good friend in Meeker, Andrea. In fact, we stayed in Meeker for the first couple of months that we were in Colorado.

Lisa and Julie~ Thanks for all of the encouragement!

Well, I got home and mixed up my starter so that I can bake on Sunday. I can't wait!! I'll keep everyone posted!

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  3:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Dropped by the public library today! Found no books in our library specifically with sourdough, but did find 3 bread & baking books that have sections about sourdough. Going to read through them and will share any good recipes. I will check for inter-library loan books on sourdough after I get through these.

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

mimilou
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Mary Lou
Lancaster PA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  3:56:35 PM  Show Profile
How much of your mother should you leave in the bowl after you've removed some for baking? I doubled up this past week, and used 4 cups Saturday and now want to bake tomorrow - just one loaf. I'm still not sure how much i need to add to make sure I have enough.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  7:14:01 PM  Show Profile
As long as you have even a little bit left it will help get your new additions of flour and water going. I would say anything more than a 1/4 cup and you are golden! You could get by on less.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  7:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Mimilou, i'd try to leave at least one cup of mother in reserve.

Can't remember if anyone posted the recipe for sourdough english muffins here on the forum or not. If it hasn't been posted I do have a recipe. However, a tip that I saw tonight in one of the books from the library was using tuna fish cans as a mold for making them. Yup! Take the empty tuna can and wash it really well. Remove the label and both the top and bottom of the can. Then you are left with a nice recycled mold to make your muffins!

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  7:31:42 PM  Show Profile
I posted an english muffin recipe sometime back. Most tuna cans are not made to be opened on both ends anymore. A large biscuit cutter will work fine.
Peter Reinhart has done a great job of research on sourdough and related types of starters. Many bread baking books with just a few pages on sourdough aren't ones to give the best info or recipes.
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  10:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Well Ronna, guess I'm just wrong on all accounts. I'll be quiet and leave it to the experts.

Go to Top of Page

lisa229
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Lisa
Dorset(Lenox Twp.) OH
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  06:51:10 AM  Show Profile
I started my starter(make sense?LOL) last week and baked my first loaf this weekend....it came out kinda chewy, almost like it didn't bake all the way, but the batter was super thick and had skin on it - I'm thinking from the dry towel the first week. So now I've been adding to it this week and it is perfect consistency. I think my bread this weekend will come out awesome. Can't wait! It's bubbling, smells like sour dough, and is thinner - no skin on top - I started using the wet towel on Sunday.

Lisa
http://lisa22968.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  09:17:42 AM  Show Profile
Ronna,

I made your English Muffins this morning (actually made the sponge last night). Oh my! Hubby is in heaven :) Thanks again!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  09:21:44 AM  Show Profile
Great! They are so pricey in the store-but then, what isn't. Nice to have your own fresh and much better too! They freeze well too, especially if you split them first so they'll be ready for toasting.
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  09:57:30 AM  Show Profile
My starter is doing nicely on the counter, now only 3 days old. I look forward to baking soon though! I used the King Arthur whole wheat flour and I have well water, so time will tell.

Dalyn

~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/

Muckboots 'N Aprons at Home Chapter
http://yakimafarmgirls.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lisa229
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Lisa
Dorset(Lenox Twp.) OH
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  10:53:32 AM  Show Profile
I have well water too Dalyn and it worked fine. I used Amish flour - must be organic since it worked fine...
What kind are you going to make?
I want to try the english muffins everyone's been talking about.

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  2:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ronna

I posted an english muffin recipe sometime back. Most tuna cans are not made to be opened on both ends anymore. A large biscuit cutter will work fine.
Peter Reinhart has done a great job of research on sourdough and related types of starters. Many bread baking books with just a few pages on sourdough aren't ones to give the best info or recipes.

Ronna~ I'm fairly new to this board. I would love an English muffin recipe. Do you have any idea what page you posted it on or even the approximate date and I could look for it myself?

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  3:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
you girls make my head spin and my tummy growl... but I am off to bake another loaf of basic farmhouse bread.... I tend to be more of a "plain jane" then the whole lot of you............but I must say... I have tried a few of the recipes and you gals are amazing.. thanks for all the recipes they are awesome! As a side note.. I decided to read through the whole thread today... and WOW... literally my head is spinning.. I feel a little like,
"I cant believe I ate the whole thing" but boy was it good!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  5:48:00 PM  Show Profile
Peggy,

Here it is :)

Sourdough English Muffins

1 cup sourdough starter
1 ½ cups milk
5 1/2 to 6 cups flour
1 T sugar
1 T sea salt
1 tsp baking soda

To make sponge: In a ceramic or glass bowl, mix starter, milk and 5 cups of flour. Cover with plastic wrap, and let sit UNREFRIGERATED for 7-24 hours.

To make dough: Mix sugar, salt, baking soda and ½ cup flour, kneading into the sponge – it will be too thick to stir – no more than 2 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap, letting it rest for an hour. (There’s still ½-cup remaining flour. Some of it can be added in if this dough feels too sticky. You want a dough that resembles a good biscuit dough – not too sticky, not too dry.

Kneading & Shaping: Lightly flour your kneading board and hands – dough will be “soft”. Knead for only 2-3 minutes, just until the dough is smooth, no longer lumpy. Roll it out between ¼ and ½-inch thickness.

Cut out 3 to 4-inch diameter circles. Place on a cornmeal sprinkled cookie sheet, letting rest for at least 15-minutes, but 30 is better. Note: I didn’t use cornmeal as I don’t care for the flavor. Ronna's notes..use Semolina flour, not so crunchy on the teeth and yet gives a bit of texture. Great for pizza too. Use a large biscuit cutter, if it's smaller than 3-4", that's okay. They'll bake/cook a bit faster and you'll have more of them to enjoy. Special EM cutters/forms are not needed. Specific type of flour (bread or all purpose) was not specified when the recipe was adapted, use what you have and they should be fine.

There are two cooking methods – either works well.

1. Stove top: Heat a lightly greased skillet, using a very low flame. I used ghee. Place cornmeal side down in the warmed skillet, cooking slowly for 10-minutes. Flip, cooking other side for another 10-minutes. Check for a light-brown color. Poke the sides to see if they’re cooked – not gooey.

2. Oven: Heat oven to 425-degrees. Place dough rounds on cornmeal dusted cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes. Check bottom side for light brown coloration. Flip rounds over, cooking 6-8 minutes on the other side.

I tested both methods and preferred the oven method. The outside was more crispy, the inside more “fluffy” and light in texture, given the greater amount of heat that expanded the dough. Having said that, the skillet method resulted in English Muffins that were still superior to any store-bought

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Mar 17 2009 5:48:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  7:45:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sharon. I'm not sure what page the list Julie made of recipes up to that date might be on-would be great if it could be moved to the first page, but likely not possible.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  8:53:20 PM  Show Profile
Ronna,

I couldn't find the page so I just copy & pasted from my recipe file:)

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  06:32:22 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Good Morning - I just took brownies out of the oven - I sure wish you could have smelled them baking. Great recipe Julie, with excellent, easy directions. Don't know how long I can wait while they are cooling - hubby is anxious also. Tomorrow I am going to try the Gingerbread recipe that Lisa posted - I'll let you know! Have a great day - suppose to be 50 degrees here, so planning on spending the afternoon outside.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

lisa229
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Lisa
Dorset(Lenox Twp.) OH
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  07:01:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting that english muffin recipe! I'm going to try it.

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  08:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Sharon~ Thanks for finding the English Muffins forme! Now, I just need some rings or bisquit cutters.

I see that you're from SW Colorado...may I ask what area? I'm about 50 miles east of Grand Junction. It is such a small world!

Okay Everybody, my starter is now 3 days old and looking good! Just fed her this morning. I'm hoping to bake on Sunday. Now I just have to decide if I want to make a loaf of bread or use the starter in another type of recipe. Decisions, decisions!!

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  09:18:30 AM  Show Profile
I will post a new index tonight.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

carycamille
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Camille
Cathlamet Washington
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  10:07:32 AM  Show Profile
Page 65 has an index on it.

Camille
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  10:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message

I thought of you all this AM as I was pulling another loaf out of the oven nd fixing tea.....

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  11:10:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting the recipe. My husband is going to be a real happy guy for breakfast in a few days.

Tina Kay

Now I get me up to work, I pray the Lord I may not shirk. If I should die before tonight, I pray the Lord my work's all right. Anon.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  1:38:14 PM  Show Profile
Peggy,

I live in Dolores :) There is another gal Montrosegal (Laurie) that lives in Montrose :)

Try the pancakes (from page 13) too! They are awesome!

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Mar 18 2009 1:40:23 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page