dmiller2003
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Deana
Denton Texas
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  5:48:24 PM  Show Profile
This is my first time to do a starter. Started last wed. and followed instructions and the starter was super thick. I never noticed bubbling and it doesn't look anything like the pics I saw of the other starters here. I started a new one today and it still seems a little thick. Could I be doing something wrong? I use well water and KA organic white flour, the brown and white package.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  6:05:22 PM  Show Profile
It will get thinner and more bubbly as time goes on. Give it time to work it's magic!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

gardenmaam
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cathy
Moreno Valley CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  7:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Send gardenmaam a Yahoo! Message
Alee-Yes, you're right-it is a small round loaf I want to make to hollow out the inside and serve clam chowder in....individual size is what I am looking to do. Did you get to try the bowl/bread recipe?

Ronna-thanks for info on Sunset Mags SF Sourdough-saw recipe on pg. 13 of this topic (thanks) and will try that next week for the bread/bowl. I did butter my baked loaf when it got out of oven...but it was still quite a bit crunchy. After cooled - I put in plastic zip bag to keep moist and soft. I think it just may be the nature of this bread, huh? The Farmhouse recipe is what I've used.

Kelly - I have used a glass loaf pan; turning oven temp down 25 degrees. I used parchment paper and buttered it and it worked just great.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  07:30:23 AM  Show Profile
I just made crackers from the pizza dough recipe on page 32. I thought the dough would be great for crackers because it was so crispy. So I made some this morning. They are SO good and crispy and crunchy! The only thing wrong with them is I can't stop eating them. So we're having crackers for breakfast!

I just rolled them out really thin and I have a little flower pick thing that you stick flower stems in a vase to make them stand up. I just cut out the crackers and poked them with the flower thing, but you could use a fork. I put them in the top middle of the oven on 400 for about 8-10 minutes. I checked them in between. Cool on a wire rack and munch away! Very good. And since they have salt in the dough I didn't add any to the top, but I'm sure you could get creative and add other things to the dough.

Ya'll have got to try this. Super EASY!

I am also trying the riasin nut bread but I'm using dried cranberries, since I'm not a raisin lover. It's rising u[stairs under the sink in the cabinet with a lamp on. It's warm in there!

Happy baking day! Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

shover1970
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Tracy
Kirklin IN
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  07:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Send shover1970 a Yahoo! Message
I am making the starter for the first time and it is looking great. It is bubbly and smelling so good. i can't wait to make bread with it this weekend. I am loving it.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  07:40:40 AM  Show Profile
Kristin - I am glad the crackers worked out. I really thought they would. Keep us updated on how long they last without going stale. That is if you don't eat them all before then! HAHAH! Maybe you could set one aside for science!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  07:43:39 AM  Show Profile
Tracy - please keep in mind that many of us had less than ideal results with the bread the first week. Don't get discouraged if your bread doesn't turn out like you expect this first week the starters seem to be taking more like two weeks to mature enough for making bread. If you are worried you might want to try the pancakes or waffles instead this weekend and wait another week on the bread.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Daisy
Thistle Sprig Farm NW Indiana
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:03:26 AM  Show Profile
This is week 3 of baking for me. My bread has worked fine each week, but it is way too sour. I mean get you in the back of your jaw sour. So anyway, this week when I made bread we used it to make french toast. YUMMY! And the homemade syrup evened out the sour nicely. I am going to start weaning myself off the pricey KA flour now that my mother is well developed and use my own fresh ground ww flour. Any ideas on how to cut down on the sour? A little is good but this is way too much! D

Thistle Sprig Farm
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
My DH loves the sour, but I can't handle it either. I would welcome any suggestions as well. Blessings, Pam

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If you bake with it more often it will reduce the sourness of the bread. I have been baking with mine every couple of days and so using higher volumes water and flour to replenish the starter. And my bread is much less sour than before (which is fine with me!) This seems to keep the sourness down. If you can't bake with it as often, think of dumping a cup or two a day before you are going to use it and then replace it with about the same volume in flour/water mix. That way your starter stays fed, but you get rid of the matured sour taste.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:16:26 AM  Show Profile
My molasses bread turned out great in texture and all, but I had added flax meal to boost the nutritional value and I added too much. A tablespoon or so would be good but I went over that :)

The molasses worked well and gave me a nice dark loaf. Also, adding some quick oats in place of some of the flour was good. That loaf had a great taste and texture and the oats were a nice little bit of chewiness that I like. It was excellent toasted for breakfast!

Also-I think the molasses over came the sourdough flavor a little so that if anyone doesn't care for the sourness this may be a trick to use. I like the flavor, but also like the taste of molasses, so it is good either way for me. If anyone wanted to make a marble loaf, you could mix some molasses in half or make two separate recipes, one with molasses and one with honey, then roll them out and layer them, roll them up together, rise and bake. It would make one of those fancy loaves that I see all the time!

CArrie M

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:18:11 AM  Show Profile
Kelly-

I sometimes use loaf pans--they work for no knead to help reduce the spreading out. Use oil on the sides and parchment in the bottom to help get it out, though!!

CArrie m

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:22:09 AM  Show Profile
Cathy-

I made some rolls that would work for soup bowls. They needed to be kneaded to get enough firmness into them. I let them rise for only a couple hours, then baked at a little higher temp for less time, like 20 min. What I did was I made a regular recipe of dough and then cut it in half, cut each half in half and then kneaded each piece of dough individually until it was firm. It was fun! They were excellent!!

carrie m

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:27:45 AM  Show Profile
Dear Lora-

Your loaves looked so lovely!! I'm so sorry they were not as yummy a treat as they look in the photos!!! They had nice shape and the slits in the top worked well, too. They look just like Rock Hill Bakehouse's sourdough loaves!

Hope your next adventure brings you a full stomach!

PS- I need to use higher heat--about 15 degrees-- than what is called for, as well as 5-10 extra minutes. Try that next time:)

CArrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:32:00 AM  Show Profile
Daisy-

I find that using whole wheat flour cuts the sour somewhat. Whenever my mother gets too pungent smelling I just use the whole wheat to feed her and over a couple days I notice a huge difference. whole wheat flour will also reduce the rising, however, and may require a little more "working" to get a rise. Just knead a bit or use a dough hook and work it in the mixer before adding the final cup of flour.

Let me know if you get the same results with the sour reduction.

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

gardenmaam
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cathy
Moreno Valley CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Send gardenmaam a Yahoo! Message
Carrie -
Thanks for the info on how you did the bread rolls. I am looking forward to trying that on Monday.
Good to hear the suggestions on how to cut down the sour taste. I will try some and see how next weeks batch is in that regard.

Freezing bread loaves - Anyone have luck freezing this bread with good results? I know if I make small rolls ("bowls") for the soup we will only use two. Can save the others for following week maybe.
Go to Top of Page

pearlgirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Lydia
Holland MI
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  2:42:35 PM  Show Profile
If you aren't using your starter very often refrigerating it may help it stay mild.

Here are some instructions for keeping it in the refrigerator from sourdoughhome.com : Feed your starter until it will double in size between feedings, feed it one more time and then refrigerate it. The storage starter will need to be fed from time to time. I do not suggest leaving a storage starter in the fridge for more than two months without feeding it and reviving it. Let starter you are going to use come to room temperature and use it.

Also, feeding it twice a day helps keep it lively. I bake at least twice a week so I just feed my 1/4c. water and 1/3c. flour when I wake up and before I go to bed. It hasn't been very sour at all for me.

Also, I noticed a big difference in sourness between my two, four, and six hour rises. By giving it a nice warm environment with no draft it can rise in two hours and hardly be sour. I just heat up my cast iron before putting the dough in it (you could warm glass up by filling it with boiling water) and put it in a warm oven to rise. Leaving it four hours I think gives the best flavor.

Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
Pro 31:30,31

http://pearlsgleanings.blogspot.com/
http://www.pearlgirl901.etsy.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  4:38:34 PM  Show Profile
Hello bread enthusiasts!
I had time for a few quick photos so I wanted to share a few more bread and pan options. Below is a double batch of my olive-garlic bread recipe found on page 72 of the Simply Bee issue. (I used all organic white and no rye.) I could tell a double batch was too much for my loaf pan so I grabbed one of my antique cast iron muffin pans and loaded it with dollops of dough also. (I buttered it first. For the loaf pan, I lined it with parchment paper because it’s an old pan with a few chips. If you smear a bit of butter in the pan before you put the parchment in, it will stay in place better while you’re putting the dough in.) For this recipe I used gourmet deli olives that I chopped up. I used fresh garlic and fresh rosemary and thyme. Yum. The aroma as it baked was, well, salivary.

In the next pic you can see how much it rose during the day, about 8 hours. I kept a wet towel over them.

Here are the rolls. They tested done at 15 minutes with my instant read thermometer. We slathered them with soft artisan cheese. (Next issue of the magazine, I’m going to teach you how to make soft gourmet cheeses using milk, cream and vinegar.)

I left the loaf pan in the oven a lot longer than the rolls--almost another 15 minutes. I wanted a super thick hard crust. But even with the extra oven time, I made sure my thermometer read at least 195 degrees before I pulled it out and called it done.

Notice the exquisite texture on this loaf. It was divine--chewy, not crumbly, but perfectly DONE. My granddaughter ate not one but three slices this morning! Just remember that you want your dough a little sticky going into the pan (and yes, obviously a loaf pan works.) It isn’t necessary to knead it. This loaf was not kneaded AT ALL. Starters (mothers) vary in terms of thin/thick so you might have to make a tiny adjustment in the amount of flour you add to make a batch of bread. Don’t make it too dry or too wet. Hey, why don’t you all just come here for one of my week-long Pay Dirt Farm School sessions and we’ll bake bread the entire week

Next week, I'll show you how to make French baguettes w/o kneading. Easy Peasy.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  5:07:58 PM  Show Profile
When is the Pay dirt farm school for bread making Im am in.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  5:15:07 PM  Show Profile
Well I jumped on the bandwagon this past Sunday. My starter was looking great. Getting bubbly already. But today when I came home from work to add my flour & water my DH notice an area that looked dark. Almost black. It didnt look like mold, but I dumped it anyway just in case. Just wondering, could leaving the spoon in the mother have caused this? I am using organic unbleached flour & purified water. Not sure of the brand of flour but its not KA as I couldnt find it here.

Not giving up, will start again on Sunday. I am so looking forward to trying this. Everyone's pictures look wonderfully yummy!

Thanks for sharing this with us MaryJane. I love the fact that I will be able to make fresh bread for my family & do it easily without always using my breadmaker. It actually seems to take less time with the sour dough. A co-worker also gave me a friendship bread starter today too so I will work on that until I can move on w/my sourdough.

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  5:28:07 PM  Show Profile
Kelly - I wouldn't suggest leaving the spoon in. The spoon could have some bad bacterias deep inside that leech out while it sits there. I'd have to see it to be sure if what was going on was bad or not. If it was BLACK you probably did the right thing by dumping it. However, after several days you will start to get hooch (an alcohol liquid) that will seperate on top. Sometimes it can appear grayish in color. That is normal.

MaryJane - the breads look fabulous! Thanks for showing the different pan options. I've got a fun recipe up my sleeve for this weekend that I will be sharing early next week. I am SO excited about the cheese you mentioned! I think cheese making is going to be the next big thing I try. YUM!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  5:31:07 PM  Show Profile
Dear MaryJane, A week of bread baking with you? Are you serious? Oh my gosh, heaven on earth! How much moola and when?

Homemade Cheese? I am giddy with anticipation (well, even more giddy than I was already) for the next issue...

BTW- My sisterhood special MaryJanesFarm organic flour just arrived, and I am over the moon, with happiness.

Love, Karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  7:26:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the pictures, Mary Jane. It's always nice to see other people's bread.

My cranberry-nut bread is SO good. I had bought a loaf at Whole Foods when I was in Col. and have tried to get the same thing using my whole wheat recipe, but it was never the same. It must have been a sour dough bread, because it takes just like it. I am so glad I made it. I am going to try the olive garlic bread next.

And the crackers are almost all gone. I told my husband to save one to see how long they lastbefore going stale. We'll see. All in all, a good baking day for me here.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  7:33:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the quick answer Julie. I definitely dont think it was hooch because it wasnt liquid. My mother was still pretty thick.

I think it was the spoon. The spoon changed color as well. Which I noticed while washing everything. It was a new spoon. I know not to do that next time.

Guess I should have known better to begin with. I was encouraged though to see how quickly the bubbles started to form. Can't wait to get started again!

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  8:08:10 PM  Show Profile
Kelly - was it a wooden spoon? Make sure you don't use metal. Also you can go ahead and start your starter now. Just make pancakes next Saturday morning after you set your dough to rise and that will take care of the extra. Plus that will give your starter a little extra time to mature and you will get a better rise on that first loaf. Good luck !

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page