Page: of 80

gardenmaam
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cathy
Moreno Valley CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  4:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Send gardenmaam a Yahoo! Message
Well, hello girls .... My second attempt turned out pretty good! I used the glass loaf pan with parchment paper in it; buttered. It rose overnight. This morning I put it under the under cabinet halogen lights where it is warmer and it rose a bit better there. About mid-morning today I baked it at 400 for hmmmmm....not sure how long....maybe 35 mins? It is quite tasty! It reminds me of a cross between english muffin bread and sourdough. We'll have it with dinner tonight. Having breakfast for dinner and will toast it. I am pleased with todays bread..YAY!
Oh--two things....
Any suggestions for keeping the top from getting very crunchy?
Thought about putting foil on it after it bakes a little for the remainder of the baking time but not sure if that would work. Anyone tried that?

Next week I think I will make two or three mini round loaves and have them with clam chowder in them. Thought of that today. YUM
I just need to find very small round pans. OR maybe small sized glass pyrex bowls would work?? Am happy for anyones suggestions. Has anyone tried using the bread for a soup bowl? Want to bake in a container so they keep a good shape to use as a bowl. If I just put them on the baking sheet I am afraid they may spread out like my first attempt last week.
Cathy

Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  4:19:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks all for the advice!
This may be a stupid question... can I ask why no one is using a loaf pan? Is it because you want a more rustic-looking loaf? Or is there a yeasty scientific reason for it? Could I use a loaf pan if I wanted?
thanks again,
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  4:45:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julie why I said it didn't look good is for couple of days no bubbles very flat.
shouldn't it have bubbles after a week and half?

Worry ends Where Faith in God begins.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  5:24:00 PM  Show Profile
Julie, forget the coffee/tin can baking. It was done in decades past when people did not know about the solder holding the can together leaching and being toxic. Same with the old apple pie baked in a paper grocery bag..too much recycled matter to be safe.
You might come across one of glass Pyrex bread tubes in a thrift shop. They came with a metal stand to hold it. Trick with that is to grease it really well or the bread will stick like glue. Butter, which I know was instructed for greasing the bread pan, can cause sticking too. Best would be clarified butter, where it's melted and the solids have settled to the bottom. Use just the clear part.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  5:30:18 PM  Show Profile
Cathy, you need a fairly stiff dough to make bread bowls. Otherwise, they will just slide into a "puddle". Best way to do bowls is to lay the dough over the outside of a bowl turned upside down and greased. Can do it in braids or lattice also for a decorative bowl (that won't hold soup, for sure). Not sure I'd even try this with sourdough, especially one without any yeast and not kneaded. Need a strong gluten structure for it to hold it's shape.
If soft top crust is desired, brush the loaf with butter as soon as it comes out of the oven. Sourdough has a thicker/crunchier crust than most breads, so it will soften just a bit.

Edited by - Ronna on Feb 09 2009 5:32:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  5:32:16 PM  Show Profile
Kelly......yes, you can use a loaf pan. I used my glass pyrex loaf pan the other day and the bread turned out just fine. There is no "yeasty scientific reason" for the freeform loaves that some of the gals are making. One of our Farmgirl sisters found a castiron loaf pan...which I think is neat. She posted a pic of the loaf and it was beautiful! Gonna have to look for one.
Anyway....good luck with your bread.
I have to tell you......the "yeasty scientific reason" made me chuckle. You're funny!!! and I mean that in a "funny haha" kinda way.
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  5:43:37 PM  Show Profile
What a bummer about the coffee can. Thanks for that info Ronna.

Ronna/Cathy - I believe Cathy is talking about a round loaf of bread that once baked you cut out the middle and pour the soup in, rather than shaping the loaf like a bowl. Cathy I think you could do this because there is a restaurant around here that serves soup in sourdough bread bowls. (YUM) The trick would be keeping the loaf from spreading too much before you bake it. I am wondering if you would be able to make a small ring (like out of foil???) to place around the loaf while it rises to hold it in place but then remove the ring when you bake it??? MMMMmmm...I'll have to keep thinking.

Kelly - I think a loaf pan would be fine. You just want to make sure it is well greased or use parchment to keep it from sticking.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  5:53:32 PM  Show Profile
aha, yes, scooped out bread bowl...thanks for the memory jolt. Still will need a fairly stiff dough to be sturdy enough when baked to hold the soup or such. I worked at a restaurant in SoCalif years ago and we served beef stew in the small individual loaves of bread hollowed out. All bread was made with frozen Rhodes dough or mixes for the date nut loaves, but the customers thought it was wonderful. Owner had great ideas for serving low cost food in a way that high prices could be charged and it was very successful.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  6:01:36 PM  Show Profile
Ronna do you think she could try adding some extra flour to make the dough a little sturdier or is that going to change it's structure too much?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  6:17:46 PM  Show Profile
Yes, more flour to make the dough thicker, but also would need some kneading to develop gluten too. Just adding more flour, the dough will take even longer to rise. I'd suggest that SF sourdough recipe I posted way back in this thread rather than the no knead no yeast "Bread the MaryJane Way".
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  9:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I made the French Bread recipe out of a sour dough book that Ronna sent me almost 2 years ago now! I forgot to put the water in and it made a nice hard crust. It would certainly have made great bread bowls if I had shaped them that way. The dough was sticky when I let it rise and had the most awesome interior structure. In fact I made two loaves and while I was gone for about 10 minutes getting my husband from work, the dog stole and ate half a loaf!

I will experiment in making bread bowls tomorrow. I will let you know how I fair!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  05:28:32 AM  Show Profile
Cathy,
I agree with Ronna. The No Knead MaryJane bread is WONDERFUL....and what a great opportunity she created for all of us to get together, yet once again. With that being said....Ronna's San Francisco Style Sourdough Bread would be PERFECT for your bread bowls. I have made it twice and it turns out perfect everytime. It really makes a big loaf, and I imagine you could get 4-6 nice size soup bowls. The crust is, well, crusty and crunchy and the bread in the middle is soft. Great combo for bowls. Oh, and it will hold it's "freeform"....no need for pans or molds or anything like that.
This is week 4 for my start......and due to the "conditions" here at my house, it has taken it I feel, longer to mature than a lot of the other gals. I have now been successful in making a MaryJane loaf...and am going to make another today, but prior to that, when everyone was turning out their first "doorstop loaves"....I KNEW mine wasn't ready for making it MJ's way just yet, so I made the San Francisco...which I think is on page 13 of this thread. I was sooo stoked about making a loaf of bread and didn't want to wait any longer.
Good luck with the bowls...and let us know how they turn out.
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  05:35:04 AM  Show Profile
Alee,
I would LOVE Ronna's French Bread recipe....
Would you mind either posting it...or send it to me in an e-mail???

Thanks....and Ciao,
Kate

P.S.......Shame on the dog!! But I imagine he/she was thinking......"Wow, Mom left me a yummy treat....slobber, slobber, slobber!!!"

Heart of Texas
Chapter

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  06:37:21 AM  Show Profile
hey kate, I agree with you about the dog.....lol....anyhow, this is Kelley over in Quitman, I emailed ya!!! Thanks, Kelley
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  07:37:24 AM  Show Profile
My first attempt at the sourdough bread came out just fine, so I decided to make the sourdough cinnamon rolls next. They came out perfect and are delicious! I made them two days ago and they are still yummy!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  07:40:03 AM  Show Profile
Great Dawn! Glad to hear it!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  07:41:35 AM  Show Profile
The San Francisco Sourdough Bread recipe is at the bottom of page 13 of this thread. It's a Sunset magazine recipe, I can't take credit for anything but sharing it. For those having problems getting a good loaf with just starter or if you don't want quite so much sourdough flavor. Also if you don't have time to wait for dough to rise without added yeast. Not at all to take away from the original concept of Bread the MaryJane Way.
Go to Top of Page

mollybee
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

JoAnn
Rogue River OR
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  07:49:14 AM  Show Profile
Help!!! I followed the instructions using the organic flour and my bread came out hard and awful. This was my first attempt at home made bread and it was a disaster. My husband smiled and tried to be nice enough to eat it, he's sweet. I used the King Arthur's flour and well water. I can use some advice girls. Thanks..
Go to Top of Page

LoraFLeming
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Lora
Onalaska WI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  08:02:39 AM  Show Profile
I am so happy I found this site after picking up a couple of issues of the magazine in the grocery store! I have one suggestion though ... when you talk about someone else's photos etc could you list their website or at least the page # you got their link from? As this post grows it's going to be hard to go through them all to find one posting! When I read "so&so's bread turned out great and looks delish" I want to rush over and see it too! When I start looking through the posts for it, I get sidetracked and end up forgetting what I was looking for in the first place! LOL! I'm glad that I am not the only one who thinks making bread from scratch is still a worthwhile activity ... sometimes it feels that way! If you want to see my first batch and it's disastrous ... yet humorous ... finish, go to my blog! If nothing else, you'll feel superior to me or realize you're not the only one who's first batch failed, and I've been baking bread for 30 years! I think my mistake was covering it with the damp towel the first week ... I got the directions mixed up ... thought "damp first week, dry after that ... I'm using the dry towel now for week two and it already looks much bubblier! Can't wait for Sat ...again ... maybe I'll try a heart shape for V-day!? <3
http://loralynn7.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  08:20:45 AM  Show Profile
JoAnn - you didn't do anything wrong. This was a common problem with everyone the first week. The issue is that the starter hasn't had enough time to mature. Give it another week or so and you will see GREAT results. In the meantime I would suggest you at least skim through the last 36 pages of this thread. You will find LOTS of great information. There are several recipes you might want to try that work great even with a young starter. The Pizza dough, waffles and pancakes are all wonderful. You could take that hard bread and turn it in to crutons. In another week or so your starter will be much better and ready for making bread. Your hubby will be glad to eat it!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  10:25:28 AM  Show Profile
I love reading everyone's Sourdough Adventures! This is a great thread

Lara #327

"Boots" Becker Homestead Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  10:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I found a recipe in the Sour Dough book that Ronna gave me for bread that bakes with a hollow center specifically for putting soups, chili and other things in. I will try it before sharing the recipe so I know if it works or not! On my way to the kitchen now!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  12:04:10 PM  Show Profile
Do you think we can make "frenchbread" out of our mother? Has anyone tried this? Do you have to have any special "tools"?

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  3:59:56 PM  Show Profile
The recipe MaryJane has given us for the Farmhouse Bread is very similar to a traditional french bread recipe. I would suggest that you add a little more flour and that you knead it a little before forming your loaf if you want something more traditional in size and shape.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  4:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I made french bread yesterday with the starter and it was lovely! Absolutely perfect!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page