Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  6:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Suzanne- your starter should be fine. You can put it in a cool place to slow down the yeast metabolism if you are concerned.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  6:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nora's dinner tonight consisted of, in part, a couple of slices of homemade sour dough bread with peanut butter and honey! She loved it! It is the first meal in a long time where she has really dug in with gusto! I think we will have to start trying that for a snack more often!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  05:41:38 AM  Show Profile
Alee,
Do you make your own peanutbutter?? Just curious. Night before last we had BLT's....made with sourdough and they were yummy. Last night we went out for dinner to celebrate my #55 birthday. This morning I woke up closer to 60 than 50. Kinda hard to wrap my head around that....but I firmly believe you're as young as you feel. So that being said.....this week alone I have been in the range from 30 to about 80 ( when the cold hit and all the joints were aching....and I was actually walking around with a shawl on to keep my shoulders warm. All in all.........it's been a GREAT trip and I look forward to several more decades.

Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  06:10:25 AM  Show Profile
Just was wondering how heavy the sourdough should be. I tried it last week and it was very heavy and hard to cut. My husband tried it and said this bread grows on you. He really like the taste of it. And I like the idea making its own yeast.But just wanted to try to make it lighter. Can someone help me out on this.

Farmgirl Sister #462

Worry ends Where Faith in God begins.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  07:29:57 AM  Show Profile
I love real peanut butter. I get it at the market. Just plain ole peanuts. But be careful now because of the salmanella outbreak in peanuts now. 8 people have died so far from the peanuts that came from a factory here in Ga. And it's in any peanut product, too, like crackers or any snack food with PB in it. My husband had gotten some Smuckers all natural PB and had a sandwich while he was out on the road in his truck and he was awfully sick right after. He thinks that's what made him sick.

They did say all Jiff is ok. So ya'll be careful. It especially affects younger children. Sorry to get off the subject of the sour dough, but thought I'd bring this up since it kind of does go together. And happy birthday, Kate!

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  07:57:36 AM  Show Profile
Baked my second batch of Farmhouse White this morning after letting the single batch rise over night in the oven with a moist dishcloth cover. I decided to try my pyrex bread pan. I knew I needed to "fuss a bit" as last week's batch stuck to everything but the dog. I'm not really much of a fusser, but I have a very precocious four year old fusser on staff. I made a template of the pan interior and let her go to town tracing and cutting out parchment paper pan liners! Her tongue poked out the corner of her mouth in the sheer delight of concentrated bliss (this bought me enough time to help a grumbling nine year old write a paragraph on the habitat of the platypus). The bread turned out PERFECT! Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, slightly dense and quite sour. Needless to say it's half gone already. I did knead it about 10 or 12 times before letting it rise. I couldn't be more pleased!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  10:36:48 AM  Show Profile
I did IT!!!! It does not rise very much(or did I goof?),,,but, tasted like a real sourdough...am trying another batch a I type....
YUM!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #368

http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  10:48:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Debra-

Real sourdough, and by that I mean the homemade stuff. Slight segue here- Did you know some store bought bread uses commercial yeasts and then "added flavoring" to give it the sour taste? Not real sourdough at all!

Anyway, the real sourdough will be denser than most commercially bought bread. It will have body and texture to it and be strong enough to handle a goodly amount of sandwich fillings without falling apart.

If your dough is coming out dense try letting it rise for a longer time. Sourdough needs a long slow rise. my first batch was nice but denser than I prefer so my second batch I let rise overnight in a warm environment and is perfect!

Since it is winter, most of us keep our houses a bit colder than in the summer. So you will see a bit of a difference in bread that is left to rise for 8 hours in winter as opposed to bread that is left to rise for 8 hours in summer.

If you are really struggling with density problems, I suggest trying a glass bread pan. That really set my mind at ease because I could look in and see the size of the bubbles that were forming in the bread. Once it was bubbly enough for my taste in bread it got put into the oven.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  4:34:08 PM  Show Profile
I started my started on Tuesday, it is starting to smell oh so yummy! I can't wait!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  7:51:48 PM  Show Profile
OK, I will add my two cents....I have been making the garlic/olive loaf and it's a "keeper" for sure. But, I did add some chopped green olives (with the black) and some sun dried tomatoes as well......YUM!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  9:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My starter has hit a new level of growth! It' awesome! There is so much action in the starter (bubbles). I am so pleased! I can't wait to try a new baking of bread!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  08:29:19 AM  Show Profile
Ok, someone mentioned they just started theirs on Tues. and it already smells so good. I went and stuck my face down in mine and I don't smell the sour smell,just flour. And I did mine on Sun. It's all nice and bubbly, but no smell. Also the first few days it was real elasticky and now its more not. I also did a lot of baking yesterday and it's sitting on the oven part of the stove. It got real warm.

I hope it's ok. Or should I start over? Kris

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  09:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristin- does it have bubbles in it, especially half and hour to an hour after you feed it? Also each starter will smell a bit different depending on the different types of yeasts and which bacteria strain it is working with.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  10:44:23 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I have a question now that we are on our second week...we went with the larger quantities so that we could bake twice a week. When we take out the 2 cups for the first batch on saturday...since it's moms day off, we don't add anything back in, right? then on wednesday when we take out the cups again, do we add back in only the 2/3 cups flour and 1/2 cup water or do we need to add more? the article says it is simple math but my math is a little rusty for this type of cooking
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  11:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Janie! You got it right the first time! Don't feed on Saturday, but feed on Wednesday after you have taken out the starter to bake with for that day! I highlighted the following paragraph with some colors that I hope help highlight the sentences that will help you.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/Recipes-Patterns-Instructions/no-knead_bread-3.asp
What if I want to make bread three times a week or make bigger loaves? Just make sure you give back to your mother the same amount you take out. Simple math. For example, let’s say you want to bake bread every Wednesday AND Saturday. Start with a larger mother, using 4 cups of flour and 3 cups water, then add 2/3 cup flour and ½ cup water each day except for Saturday, always mother’s day of rest. On Wednesday of the second week, take the 2 cups you’ll use for baking that day out of the mother before you add the flour and water for that day. When I’m feeding lots of people, it’s just simple math again, but I start out using a fabulous antique ceramic bowl that holds eight gallons—now that’s a lot of satisfied farmhands!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  11:03:16 AM  Show Profile
My starter is now a few weeks old and I am noticing a big difference in it's rising ability. I used mostly wheat flour because I like the whole grain bread, so I need to knead my dough when I'm making bread, but the rises are getting better and better. I like to knead so don't mind the extra work and my no knead loaf failed so I'm hesitant to keep doing that. The kids keep commenting on how much they like my bread--rolls, actually, because I make a double batch, divide it up into 10 small "loaves" and bake them that way. It makes a great little mini loaf/roll that works as bread to eat with spagetti (sprinkled with granulated garlic before baking) or for a sandwich (sliced in half and loaded with goodies).

I don't find that kneading has created large bubbles, in fact my bread is of a finer texture than the photos in this link. It's just a heavier loaf than you would get at the store. It is very hearty and yummy.

I do want to try to achieve a "no knead" bread, so I have been using only white flour in my mother and will do a cast iron loaf soon. I don't find KA organic flour near me so I'm using KA unbleached bread flour and it smells and looks great!! I will try to get organic flour the next time I visit our food Co-Op.

Oh yeah, I made pizza dough and it came out wonderfully! I took three cups of mother and added a couple cups of white flour. I mixed it up a bit then let is sit from morning to just before dinnertime. Then I added salt, italian seasoning, and enough flour to make a spreadable dough. This made a round and a rectangular pizza on my two stones. I covered them with sauce and let then rise in my warm kitchen for another 1/2 hour. Then we topped with cheese and baked. Soooo Good!

Grateful for this link...I'm finding little tidbits that are helping me put this whole sourdough thing together. There is so much to learn and I'm finding that it really is very forgiving and not as finicky as I once thought. That is good because I've never been one to follow rules very well. I like flexible projects!!!

Blessing on you all, fellow bakers!

Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  11:08:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
So basically you are taking the times you want to bake per week and times in the base feeding amounts.

So the base feeding amount is 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup water. So say you want to bake 1 times a week. Everyday but Saturday when Mother doesn't get fed- you will feed

Base amounts x baking amounts = feeding amount

so if you are only baking once per week the equation looks like this:

(1/3 flour x 1 baking) + (1/4 flour x 1 baking)= feeding 1/3 cup flour and 1/4 cup water

If you wanted to bake 5 times a week the equation on how much to feed every day but Saturday would look like this:

(1/3 flour x 5) + (1/4 water times 5)= 1 2/3 cups flour plus 1 1/4 cup water.

If any of this confuses anyone, I would be more than happy to do the math for you. Just let me know how many times you want to bake each week. And remember, if you are changing how much you want to make, you need to give your starter a week to build up the volume.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Edited by - Alee on Jan 30 2009 11:10:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  11:43:15 AM  Show Profile
thank you Alee! my husband and i both were having a bit of confusion with that....we are going to try to olive bread tomorrow....just can't eat regular "bread" anymore..
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  12:06:46 PM  Show Profile
Alee yes, mine is bubbly right after. I just smelled it again and there is a slight sour smell.

Thanks. This is so interesting.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

pearlgirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Lydia
Holland MI
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  12:51:52 PM  Show Profile
Ok, for some reason my post didn't show up, so here I go again.

My starter was so bubbly last night that it was almost frothy. I think putting it in the warm cupboard really helped mother take off. So I took the plunge this morning and mixed up the cinnamon-raisin bread. It is rising in the same warm cupboard. What was really strange was when I took out the two cups of starter there was only like a 1/3 cup starter left in the bowl. Now, I started out with 2 cups of flour and 1 1/2 cups of water, I've added a total of 2 cups flour and 1 1/2 cups water, so is it normal for the starter to reduce that much? I went ahead and fed it it's normal feeding this morning and plan on doing two feedings a day to get the bulk back up.

I let you know how the bread comes out. I am hoping for the best, though at six hours it hasn't risen a whole lot.

Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
Pro 31:30,31

http://pearlsgleanings.blogspot.com/
http://www.pearlgirl901.etsy.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  1:27:19 PM  Show Profile
Lydia when counting the total amount the water is what adds up the most. Because the flour gets mixed into the water you are not really adding 2 cups to the total volume when you add 2 cups of flour.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  04:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Oh my goodness!!!I made my bread yesterday and it was delish.I didn't even get to post pics because it was gobbled up in very little time! I am going to double the recipe for next week and hopfully have pictures to show you gals. I made one basic and the other I made a cinnamon bread with cinnamon icing.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  05:56:55 AM  Show Profile
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I keep my house on the "cool" side. This is my second whole week with my starter, and it is doing beautifully. Bubbles, bubbles everywhere...and a very pleasant sour aroma. The first week I made the San Francisco Sour Dough w/yeast...and it was fantastic...as the pictures I posted indicated. Yesterday I made my no knead....let it rise overnight....and actually all the next morning and had it piping hot when DH got home from work. It was beautiful....but unfortunately no pics this time, as it was devoured by my hubby, his cousin and his wife and me....and my 3 year old niece.
This weeks lesson I have gleaned is P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E!!!!!!!
Have a great weekend...........AND.............GO CARDINALS!!!! I am a former Zonie and am rooting for the Birds.
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  06:22:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is awesome Kate!

My starter is doing amazing too! I fed her yesterday morning and she bubbled like crazy all day and rose so much I had to stir her down, and she is still at it this morning! I am going to have to stir her down again!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  06:33:41 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Everybody,

I am a Newbie here and this is my first post. My first attempt with the starter failed. I was using my filtered water and apparently it killed Mother. We have chlorinated water here and I don't think the filter did the trick in removing all the chlorine.

So I ran, well I actually drove:), to Whole Food Market and bought some new flour and distilled water. I am happy to report that Mother is loving her feedings and doing well. Today is baking day so I am really excited about how things will turn out. As soon as I finish my morning cup of coffee I am going to decide which recipe to make and get started.

I will let you know how this all turns out.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page