willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  09:45:57 AM  Show Profile
Ingrid - I baked some on a stone last weekend and found that the out side browned really quickly. I would suggest turning your oven temperature down to about 375. You will also need to increase the baking time. I left mine about 15 minutes then check the temperature with an instant read. I then brushed the top with butter and kicked the temp up for about 10 minutes to allow the crust to brown.

You may also want to try increasing the amount of flour you use when you bake. It sounds like youve got too much moisture in the dough.

Let me know how it goes and we can do some more trouble shooting if needed!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

strawberyarn
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Christine
Strawberry Arizona
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  09:52:10 AM  Show Profile
I have been reading this since I got the magazine. Back when there was only two pages of posts. I have my organic flour and distilled water and am ready to take the plunge. Being that I do not bake much I have learned much from all of your trials and thank you all for this. So it is onward, my only concern is that since I live in the mountians of Arizona it is still a bit chilly here, snow yesterday and my house may be a little cold but we will see. Thanks for all your hints and helps I'll keep reading and keep you posted of success or the dreaded failure. Christine
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  09:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Julie, just a quick thought. I have found that with these wetter doughs it is often easier to make two smaller loaves than try and make one great big loaf. I don't know just a thought.

Oh yeah...I've got a hoochy momma! I'm so proud of her, hee!hee!

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  10:00:00 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Christina, glad you are here and trying the bread. I think you living in Arizona won't be an issue. I am making my second loaf today. Actually I divided the dough into two smaller grapefruit size ones and am going to try baking themin small castIron skillets..We shall see how that goes. It has been cold here. It snowed yesterday morning very early and stayed cold all day. It is only about 24 right now & I have my bread rising in the window where the sun can do its work.. Goods luck with your bread.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  10:26:51 AM  Show Profile
I put my dough in my oven with just the light on - it seems to raise just fine there.
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  11:10:58 AM  Show Profile
So many ladies are getting heavy, difficult to cut breads. I have found that kneading eliminates the dense, hard to cut loaves. Another option is to add less flour and just really stir it a lot to help increase the gluten. Also, whole wheat flours MUST be kneaded to work. If you don't want to knead then you'll have to use white flour througout the process. I stick with King Arthur and since I can't find the organic I've just used the regular unbleached ones. The bread flour works marvelously!!

If your dough gets real watery just add some extra flour.

If you want to make pancakes and don't want "flatties" just mix your starter with the milk or water in the recipe, and most of the flour, and then let it sit over night. In the morning, add your eggs and rest of the flour and you're good to go!

I like to bake often so I add 1-2 cups of flour and water at a time to my mother. It sours rapidly and lets me make 2-4 batches a week!

Carrie M

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  1:04:54 PM  Show Profile
I made these GREAT waffles today! I forgot to take a picture but I plan on making them again next week so I will take a picture then. You have to plan the night before for these but if you have a waffle iron I highly suggest this recipe.

Sourdough Waffles

2 Cups all-purpose organic flour (King Arthur is great)
2 Tbs. Sugar
2 Cups Buttermilk (regular milk works too - just a little different flavor)
1 Cup starter
2 large eggs
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda

The night before, stir your starter and remove one cup. (You can feed your starter after you remove the one cup) To the one cup of starter add the flour, buttermilk and sugar. Stir and cover and let sit at room temperature over night or at least 14 hours. In the morning mix the eggs, butter and vanilla in a small bowl. Add to the starter mixture. Stir in the salt and baking soda. Cook your waffles according to the directions in your waffle maker.

In the past I have substituted the vanilla with orange or almond extract for a little different flavor. The orange waffles with a sprinkle of fresh orange zest and some mini chocolate chips on top are delicious!!!

NOTE: I have halved this recipe and it works just fine!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Jan 27 2009 1:06:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  3:03:54 PM  Show Profile
I snapped some quick photos of some of my bread baking this week in an attempt to help you with some of your questions. Here’s a double batch of Farmhouse White in the making. I wanted you to see the texture and weight of it. I stirred this just until it became a mass. It still needs a few quick turns before I plop it into my buttered cast iron saucepan. (For a refresher course, click on the link in the first post on this thread and read all seven pages, found also in the Simply Bee issue [Feb/March] of my magazine.)

Here it is plopped into my 3-quart cast iron saucepan (that’s why it’s a double batch--a 3-qt. is too big for a single batch). This saucepan is a Universal brand and does have a lid that I use while the bread is rising all day. I keep the lid placed off-center just a tad so the loaf gets a bit of air. Because this pan is new and still getting a nice dark cure, I cut one round of parchment paper for the bottom, just in case. And because I was in a fussy mood, I placed the bottom of the pan down onto the parchment, drew around it with a pencil, then cut it out and put the circle of parchment in the bottom of the pan. I knew I didn’t need parchment up the sides because I’ve been working on this new pan for a couple of weeks. Here’s where you can buy a NEW 2-qt. cast iron saucepan:
www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_k?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=cast+iron+saucepan

Okay, the double batch was consumed before I had time to take any photos. So last night before I went to bed, around 10 pm, I put a single-batch together in my 2-quart saucepan. I set it on my counter to rise through the night. I checked the temperature where I keep my mother and where I raise my breads--70.4 F to be exact.

The next morning, bright and early (I keep farmgirl hours so it was 5 am) I preheated my oven and put some water in a pan on the bottom shelf. Here’s a pic of the bread before it goes into the oven to be baked WITHOUT A LID.

Here’s a bottom shot after baking and a top shot. I had it in the oven for 20 minutes before I checked the internal temperature with my thermometer. Even though it was 195 F after 20 minutes, I left it in another 5 minutes to make the crust more crispy. (I love a chewy, crisp crust and white bread takes a bit longer to get nicely browned and crisp.)

Here are a couple of my thermometers. Please note the price on my new one, $7.49--a wise but cheap investment.

Here’s a “still warm” slice about to be eaten! Please note the texture. It’s moist but not doughy at all. If you’re going to eat your bread warm, use a serrated bread knife to cut it.

Here’s a shot of my mother after sitting since yesterday morning’s additions of purified (distilled for me) water and white flour. Please note all the bubbles but also note that she’s starting to slow down. Throughout the night she was even more bubbly and the bubbles were bigger. I can tell by the small size of her bubbles now that she’s starting to use up all her food.

Okay, now I have a treat for my husband and two sons who work here. This morning I’ll butter some slices, then drizzle honey and cinnamon on each slice--perfect for their morning coffee/tea break.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~

P.S. I’m going to offer members of my sisterhood a one-time Valentine’s Day special that includes some of our organic bread flour that we use in things like our budget mix. We can’t go into the business of selling “just” flour on a regular basis (our plates are mighty full) but I do want you to experience organic flour that I know performs perfectly for making “Bread the MaryJane Way.” So sistahs, stay tuned for that offer via email sometime next week. If you aren’t a member yet, here’s a link that explains who we are and why we’re the proud members of an official sisterhood.

www.maryjanesfarm.org/farmgirl-sisterhood/

P.P.S. Today’s lunch! (You’re in for a treat if you’ve never tried orange-juice sweetened cranberries on a sandwich.) Sourdough bread holds together tight when you slice it thin for sandwiches. It doesn't fall apart and because it isn't "cakey" it doesn't get soggy like most breads do when you make your lunch in the morning. It has a nice chewy texture and makes, I think, the BEST sandwich bread. And when you're eating a nice, big fat sandwich full of chicken, cheese slices, lettuce, mustard, and mayo, the slices hold the whole thing together without cracking apart.

P.P.P.S. One more thing! In my experience, true sourdough bread that is kneaded (my method doesn't requiring any kneading) often ends up with largish holes in it but my no-knead bread never ever creates big holes in the slices. I think the holes are thought of as an artisan trademark thing. The bread still tastes mighty fine but the holes sure can leak honey, mayo, etc. all over the place.

Go to Top of Page

whimseyc
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Jill
Riverdale GA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  3:57:22 PM  Show Profile

Jill - above is an explination about the liquid on top.
Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com

Thanks a bunch for the explanation - it makes me feel much better. Although I dumped the starter because I thought it had gone bad LOL, I'll start another one this weekend and try again. Again, thanks much!

Sometimes you just have to take the leap, and build your wings on the way down.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  4:52:18 PM  Show Profile
OK, I have a maybe dumb question. I've noticed a lot of the first bread that is baked mostly is not good or didn't rise or was too gooey in the middle or something. So, the organic flour I bought was nearly $9.00. Quite expensive to be wasting. So for my very first batch do ya'll think I could use just plain ole all-purpose flour just in case mine doesn't turn out? I just hate to waste the good flour. But then am I maybe anticipating that mine will not turn out good? Oh, what a dilema! I just got to thinking about this and thought I'd ask anyway.

My mother looks good so far. Nice and bubbly. No smell yet, though.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  4:58:18 PM  Show Profile
Kris I would say you should stick with organic all the way. If you are concerned about the first week results go with pancakes or waffles instead and wait to make bread the second week.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  5:55:24 PM  Show Profile
Here are my two small loaves of bread I just took from the oven..

They were the size of grapefruits when I put them in two 6 inch cast iron skillets to rise...this morning. They have a nice hard crust..baked them to 200 degrees inside.. We shall see how they taste at dinner.
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Jan 27 2009 5:56:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  6:31:27 PM  Show Profile
They are beautiful Cheryl...
And I can tell you now that they are going to taste wonderful.

Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  6:33:49 PM  Show Profile
Yum Cheryl! They look great and I am sure are gone by now! I read the article yesterday and got really excited, one by the simplicity of it, but be cause I have so often had to dump my starter because it would turn black and smell weird. Now I know why! I will be starting a MJ starter tonight. Can't wait!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  6:39:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie. I guess I'm just thinking ahead too much.

And Cheryl, your bread is so shiny. Or is it just the light ? They look good.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  7:51:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh Mary Jane Thank You!!! YUMMY.. It tastes So good.. I could really taste the sourdough ..I did slap on some "butter" on top when it came out of the oven,
Kris, That is why it is so shiny. As it cooled it looked more cracked & rustic. The butter made the crust a bit more pliable I think.. We ate only one loaf...but I bet it is gone tomorrow.. Dh asked me if I could make some more by the weekend to take to his brothers house with us..( he didn't pay much attention did he to what I was doing every morning adding to the "Mother".) I guess I will make more next week..double the recipe... Now that I know better of what to do..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

Go to Top of Page

gardenmaam
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cathy
Moreno Valley CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Send gardenmaam a Yahoo! Message
Good Morning everyone ! - I mixed up my first batch of starter Monday and have kept a dry thin towell on it. This morning I noticed a thick crust on part of the top of the batter. I mixed it in then remembered NOT to do that. OOPS
I live in Southern California and air is dry now. My kitchen does get warm too. I do keep it covered. I am wondering how to prevent this thickening? Or is it OK to remove the thick part when it occurs? Anyone having same issue
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:19:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cathy,
You can do either one. I've had luck mixing it back in and it seems to just dissolve. Or you can take a wooden spoon and remove it. If you are at home all day, keep your towel wet with purified water and that won't happen. Right now, your starter needs to be capturing airborne yeasts so you can't use my wet towel/plate trick just yet.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

gardenmaam
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cathy
Moreno Valley CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Send gardenmaam a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mary Jane~
Thank you for the responding to my question. So quick too!! Now I can rest easy and let it bee!
And thanks to Pam and to Julie for responding to my question earlier in the week about the towell (wet or dry). Appreciated your help.
I will try the sourdough waffles too when my starter is ready for it. I am really enjoying reading everyones posts. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:47:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yummy! I baked my second round of bread today! I let it rise over night in my office where I have a space heater going to keep my plants from freezing. I used my bread pans, one of which is clear/purple glass so I looked underneath and saw lots of promising looking bubbles right before I put them in the oven! They cooked beautifully! Nice golden crust all around and beautiful centers! Firm, stable and delicious just like MaryJane said it would be! Nora and I both had a slice when it was fresh out of the oven with just a smear of butter. It was so good!

While my first baking did have some rise to it, this one had a lot more. Keep at it ladies! You will be richly rewarded!

Oh and I let my bread develop a bit of a crust as it rose, so I put a little butter on it while it baked and a tiny bit more when it came out of the oven. The crust was thin and so yummy!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  10:49:45 AM  Show Profile
Hey guys. My power is out and I was able to get up to the school and get on the computer for just a few minutes. They are saying it may be Friday before we have electricity again! Anyway - I will probably not be around to answer questions until the weekend. Hopefully sooner! I will try to answer them ASAP.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

maerwert
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Mary
Mulino OR
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  11:11:04 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,
I started my Mother last week and am trying Ronna's recipe this first time around, although I did remove a half cup for a quick batch of pancakes. The pancakes were great.
I have had good luck with Bob's Red Mill unbleached flour and my well water, which I leave out overnight to come to room temperature. If any of you have a store that sells in bulk you can often find organic products very reasonably priced. Here we have Bob's RM products at both Fred Meyer and Winco Foods.

berrypatchmom
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  12:40:24 PM  Show Profile
OH NO! I started my mother on Monday this week and just found out I have to go away this weekend, Sat is the only day I won't be able to feed and stir - how will this affect it?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  12:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the forum, Mary! MM I bet you pancakes were wonderful! I need to try that next!

I am using Red Mill brand as well since that was what my organic store carries. I am so glad that Winco has it, though when we lived near a Winco I think I do remember seeing that brand now that I think about it.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Meadowflower
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lisa
Harrisburg Pa
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  5:20:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm looking forward to trying this bread. I've read through the article twice (and also saved the internet article to my Evernote notes!)

I used to buy this particular very basic whole wheat sour dough bread with raisins. It was my diet staple! LOL So wonderful. Then the breadmaker went out of business. I was heartbroken. I've always wanted to make my own sourdough but never knew how and breadmaking always seemed difficult. So I'll be learning this, then will try it with whole grains (with raisins!) when I get confident in breadmaking with the white flour.

*~Lisa~*

My farmish blog: http://meadowflowerfarm.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Meadowflower on Jan 28 2009 5:24:17 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page