oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  09:50:04 AM  Show Profile
Michele, So glad to hear that you are on the mend!

Lori, I am so excited for you! Happy Dance!

It was 115 here yesterday and miserable hot! In this kind of weather it is so hot and sticky that by the time you get up get dressed and get a cup of coffee you are already hot, stinky and in need of a shower! It's supposed to cool down!! We will see!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  11:50:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Monica and Ladies

Glad to hear as well that the nasty bit is healing and that no skin grafts are needed. Amazing what such a tiny creature can do so much harm. That is why I think a Died Spider is a Good Spider. Yes, I know they have their purposes but in my world they just need to stay very far away....

I am hoping to get to some dyeing today but I must admit this heat is just keeping me fried... Monica I really have no idea how you manage. When my mother lied in AZ I would only visit in the winter time even then I was not a happy camper...

Well, I did get that troll house color to work like a charm, now I have spent two days trying to get pictures that would really show all the detail of this - so far no luck. Just about threw my camera across the room last night - had a melt down... So I sat at the wheel and created a wonderful yarn with (soft coral of coarse) with hand tied tiny moss green ribbon bows plyed into it. Oh, I am back now at trying to go a good picture of it...

Monica are you meeting up with the alpaca breeder??? I started cleaning one of my alpaca fleeces I had in my rafters - Is is from Pete Rose - he is a tri color gray with batches of rose gray. He has the most incredible handle - I just love his fleece.. He is now a stud in New Mexico - outside Taos. Anyway - back to work - I am typing as I am eating my lunch so I do not feel guilty about slacking off...

Hope everyone has a cooler day today

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  1:47:52 PM  Show Profile
Grace, Basically all I try to do in this weather is sit in front of the fan! Jerry and I are going to meet up as soon as the weather is a bit more bearable!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  1:56:44 PM  Show Profile
I just keep saying to myself - This is only July - what in the world is August going to be like?????

I just took out of the bread machine some cottage cheese dill bread - Yummy!! I may just eat fresh tomato slices, cheese and bread tonight.
I was gong to make some blueberry icecream but all my energy is gone - NAP TIME!!!!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  2:42:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
Ang made it Friday am about 5am and then we drove about 2 hrs to pick up the baby. He was a very good baby both days, we met Lisa and hubby in Cameron on their way back to Neb. and we dropped off the baby and picked up Lexi, our 11 yo gd. Ang and Lexi are planning a big time, movies, visits to relatives, and driving my car. Ang brought down 10lb blueberries so I plan to make them bb jam to take home with them. Lexi will go back home Saturday.
We had storms go through this morning and we dropped down into the 80s and got an inch of rain. Beats the 110 we have been getting.
I see that Jami hasn't posted for awhile...do you think they are getting ready for a new grandbaby or already here?
I got to get back to my company...later.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  5:10:37 PM  Show Profile
Hello All,
I am new to Farmgirl (just joined today) and new to farming! We have had our Icelandic sheep for just over a month. I read the first couple of pages of this thread with a lot of interest and hope to be able to pick some brains in the future.
It has been my dream for many years to have a farm and raise animals, and we are finally doing it (I am almost 50)! I knew I wanted to raise sheep, horses, herding dogs, and chickens. I stumbled onto Icelandic sheep a couple of years ago and, after some research, knew these were the sheep I wanted to raise. I am starting with a ram and 4 ewes. I hope to be able to grow my flock over the next couple of years. I also want to learn to spin wool. Actually, I have quite a lot to learn! Looking forward to seeing some more good ideas from you pros!

It is not the struggle that determines your character, but how you behave when the struggle is over.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  5:41:53 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, Welcome to Farmgirl! We are very glad to have you here! All of the ladies here are just wonderful and very helpful! I hope someday to have sheep of my own!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  6:00:50 PM  Show Profile
WELCOME Brenda

As Monica has pointed out we all love to help so just say the word. I raised Icelandic Sheep for over 12 years and loved them. If I can be of any help there just shout.. The ladies here are just wonderful and have many talents. No question is silly because we have all been there and if we don't know the answer we will find you someone who will.

Sarita it sounds like the visiting is going great and did I read you right bb jam is going to be made - if you have an extra I am raising my hand first. I never make jam or jelly - never turns out right. Just kidding I know you have many mouths who will be watering there for your great jam - those kids are going to be in for a treat.

I thought I read that the grand baby was here but I must admit so many folks are having babies right now my fried gray cells might be wrong.... I know she is also up to her eyeballs with the farmers market so I am sure she is hopping around...

Well, hope everyone has a great cool night.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  6:45:44 PM  Show Profile
Good evening all!! So nice to have a rookie in the group I have been out in the country now 3 years and came out at 50 so understand! This too is my dream come true

Strange weather here too. CLoudy and cool, then sunny, then raining and about 7 this evening up to 80 and now cooling! Sheep were complaining as hubby mowing and I wasn't out fast enough. They get the mowed grass as well but got kind of spoiled as we have gone out on a field "over yonder" and been cutting some really good stuff so noses went up a bit, kids now a days!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  06:38:36 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Brenda!
Grace, can't wait to see some pictures of your creations!
Well the fair is finally over and I must say it was too hot to live being at the fair grounds in 100 degrees and humid weather every day with no trees for shade!
The sheep show was on Sunday and boy was I proud of my 4Hers. They really did a super job. The big news is our black lamb, Lily, got reserve champion natural colored ewe! The judge also said she had the best overall fleece in the fair. Our white Romney ewe, Heather Bell got champion white wool ewe and then reserve supreme champion ewe. The kids were thrilled. But the best of all was the look on the face of one of the boys who got a big champion trophy for his chicken. Because of the funny story behind his bird. I went to the poultry auction and bid on a carton of fertile blue eggs or at least i thought that was what I was bidding on but turns out I won 3 dozen eggs for 90 cents. Anyway we incubated them but only 3 hatched and two were roosters. The eggs at the auction are not necessarily fertile, that is a legal loophole they use since they have no refrigeration. Anyway this little bird we hatched was the one that won the champion chicken trophy! Best 90 cents I ever spent.
Now I am going to put my energy into building up Calypso's strength and then going on my road trip before the State Fair...Sara
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  07:47:34 AM  Show Profile
BIG CONGRAT'S to your hard working kids, sheep and dear MOM!! How exciting and I know that feeling when it is finally over, but wait now you should be going to State Fair - that is a whole nother set of excitement.... I love that your lone chick won your hearts and the big win..

Yes, I will attempt to get photo's that do the yarn justice - Wished I could just shove it thru the computer to everyone so they could have a look and a feel...

I am cleaning out my bookshelfs in the shop today along with some VHS - have some great VHS on Sheep Raising, Llama Raising and then I will have to see what will go from the lending library of fiber and crafts... Just need to start somewhere and get going on destashing..
I'll keep you all posted... Might be some things in there for you girls.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  08:16:35 AM  Show Profile
Sara, Congrats! Great job for the kids at the fair! I just love the story about the chicken!!

Jami is a grandma now!!! She posted a pic on Facebook the other day! Here is a link to the pic of Grandma and Kellen! http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=30754771&id=1487300632

Hope you all have a great day and stay cool!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  08:23:28 AM  Show Profile
Sara, Congrats! Great job for the kids at the fair! I just love the story about the chicken!!

Jami is a grandma now!!! She posted a pic on Facebook the other day! Here is a link to the pic of Grandma and Kellen! http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=30754771&id=1487300632

Hope you all have a great day and stay cool!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  09:32:33 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Brenda, you aren't too far from me. Maybe we can get together sometime.
Congratulations Jami! I have not been to face book yet.
We were on the road alots yesterday exchanging grandchildren. We were very hot and tired last night. Storms hit, the radio said they were 5 tornados spotted on the ground in this area. We had two spotted very close to us, and I think I heard that Brenda's area was also under the gun. Lightning was awful, in fact, Ang was by the kitchen widow and lightning hit the CB antennia beside the house and she let out a scream and rolled on the floor and her right side was numb and tingling. She is OK but it was a close call. We couldn't go outside due to the lightning, we just put all the cushions and pillows we could find on the big dining room table and kept monitoring Ang's condition...did I tell you when I went to go 911, the phone had been hit too and was dead as a doornail? We had a very stressful night. This morning we were able to get out an access the damage. The top of the cb antenna was scattered in tiny pieces all over the front yard, the phone man was here and the box on the side of the house was fried and the modium box in the house was rattling so the phone man set us up with a new one. One of the lights over the bathroom sink was broken and the base of the light bulb is in the socket and the rest blew out. There is a hole in the east side of our house and you can see how the insulation was melted. The TV satalite dish is fried and repairman will be here tomorrow. We are very lucky that our daughter is still alive and that our house didn't burn.
I checked the sheep this morning, I was so afraid that we would find livestock stuck by lightning but everybody was OK. I feel blessed.
I will have to read and get caught up with everybody later.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  09:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. Welcome, Brenda. It's always good to have a new farmgirl. Just jump right in - everyone here is so helpful. It's so nice to have one's dream finally come to fruition.

Monica I don't know how you take that kind of heat. If it get's in the 90's I'm toast!! It's been pretty warm here but only high 80's. The sheep hang out in the shade all afternoon and eat in the pasture at night.

Lavender is finally starting to bloom but I harvest a little at a time. Managed to get a couple of wands woven yesterday. There won't be too many this year as everything is so stunted from the strange weather and it takes such long stems to manage them. So far the wind it light today so plan to finally get back to washing some wool. It's impossible with the high wind as I will end up chasing it around the yard as it drys on the racks....

Can't wait to see what "Troll House" looks like. I hate trying to take pictures that do my art justice so I sympathize. Stay cool if you can.

Glad to hear that Angie got there safely and you are having a great time, Sarita. Blueberry jam.....yum. I put in some bushes a couple of years ago but they never took off. I should move them as they obviously don't like it there but haven't gotten around to it....there is always so much that needs to be done.

Congrats on your success at the fair, Sara. I'll bet you are glad it's over and you are home again.

Guess I should get to work. Have a productive and happy day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  09:47:34 AM  Show Profile
All I can say is WOW - Sarita!!! Thank God that Angie is ok. What a close call you all had. I am so happy that it came out with a good ending. You were VERY LUCKY. Obviously God was really looking out for you. I am so sorry to hear of all the damage but at least it is only stuff and not people or animals. I will send some peaceful energy your way to help you relax after such an ordeal. If you were closer, I'd give you a big HUG and a neck massage....Know you are all in my thoughts for a quick recovery and repairs.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  11:30:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Everyone,
I am enjoying all the interesting things contained in these forums. I feel like a kid in a candy store and don't know where to look next! LOL!
Grace, you said you had some books on Icelandic sheep. Any chance you stil have one available? I would definately be nterested in that. I am working my way through Storey's now and will get Laura Lawson's books soon so that I can be prepared for breeding season.
I do have a question: My husband wants to know why we sheer the Icelandics in November and March. I have tried to explain it the best I can, but he is still not getting it. He says it doesn't make sense to him...sheering them right before winter and not during summer. So, I said I'd ask!
Sarita, we got a lot of rain, but didn't see any tornadoes, thankfully! We have had way too much rain and are waiting patiently to have the hay cut on our pastures. I will be so happy to be able to see my land again! I am happy when the temps stay fairly low, but the humidity is hard to take. I am with Sheri...when it gets into the 90's I am toast!
Happy Farming, Ladies!

It is not the struggle that determines your character, but how you behave when the struggle is over.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  12:14:08 PM  Show Profile
Sarita I am so glad you are all O.K. I know what terrible things Mother Nature can do to your things but as long as every person and four legged is O.K. the rest if just a pain in the you know where... Hugs and prayers all around and remember to breathe...

Sheri I so agree the weather has played such a roll here too. My mint has gone crazy but way too early and so I think I will cut some back and see what happens... We do the best with what Mother Nature give us - she has given me nothing more then tons of repairs...

Brenda - I have some wonderful books about the Icelandic Sheep - they are what folks received as part of their purchasing packages when I was selling Icelandic. I also have some great knitting books and patters along with a great poster of all the color patters... Would you like me to email off forum or answer here???

As for why they are shorn twice it is because before spring they will break their fleece and it comes off like you are unzippering a coat. When I was in Iceland this shear was done right before birthing because it is Mother Natures way of given those babies like a next on the mom's back for the babies to be protected for the harsh weather. The fall shear is also because that is when the sheep are brought into the barns and they take their coats, get them ready for breeding and indoor care. I would ask when you breeder shorn and their schedule. Depending on the genetics and their weather you may not have to shear times - Also remember if your genetics are correct the two shear times will be needed otherwise you will have matted horrible fleeces. Here we shorn twice a year... Hope that helps. Remember do not treat this breed like other sheep they are far from it...

I am still working on the pictures - got side tracked with phone calls - see that is why I am on the computer all the time it cuts down on phone calls - NOT YOU MONICA - I always feel horrible that you called and I am busy away on this box...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  1:42:55 PM  Show Profile
Grace, thanks for the info. It is fine with me to answer here, if you are comfortable with that. If not, you can email me the answer. I am very interested in the info. about the sheep. I wish you were still raising them so I could get more sheep from you later! Two of my sheep came from Susan Brigg's flock (via the lady I bought from), and the other three are offspring of some others that came from her flock. I feel blessed to have sheep that originated with her.
I crochet more (better) than I knit, but I do some knitting. I also do machine felting. The fiber color chart would be great, too. There is a lady about an hour from me who has offered to teach me to spin...which I am VERY excited about. I am meeting her this week and hope we can make arrangements to begin my lessons soon.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  2:33:50 PM  Show Profile
My flocks came from the beginning three - Stephania Dignum, Susan Briggs and Barbara Webb. I had over 50 different bloodlines and spent 6 months on genetics with the team in Iceland to give me the wides bloodlines around. I went to Iceland with a group of the first 24 breeders here in the US - what a time we had. Learned tons and placed my on a path that I never could have imagined. I still think that breed has the most potential for the small breeder and fiber business...

I will email you off line with all the books, prices and such but if you could give me a day or two to gether them I sure would appreciate it. I hope that your spinning will be as much of a life purpose as it is for many of us. With Icelandic you have the chance to work with two fibers on each sheep and once you get into understanding the breeding part the fun really begins....

Ladies I am still working on pictures put I did place some of the newest yarn up on my blog and also on Etsy - would love to know what you think of it????

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  2:58:36 PM  Show Profile
Grace ~ I love the pink yarn! So pretty and feminine!

Sarita~ We had lightening hit our house when I was a teenager - caught the attic on fire. It was really scary. Mom had said before this happened that she wondered if the house ever caught fire what she would save. She said that night that all she could think about was getting my brother and me out, then getting her purse. I am so glad your daughter is okay!

Well, went to the school today to meet the lady that took my place and pick up the last of my belongings and last check. It was kinda bittersweet. I put in a lot of work to make that cirriculum usable for the kids through the years. I called my best friend, Jan, when I left and got the advice only a best friend could give "get over it. You are going on to better things and what the Lord intended for you to be doing." Good ole Jan, never one to mince words. I can always count on her to set me straight!

I have made three sales in the shop this week! Yipee! Well, one of them was to mom. She does all of our mailing, so once I finish items they go to her house. She left the roving made from Ruth's wool, one of our shetlands, sitting out on the table, and couldn't leave it alone, so she decided to keep it! Works for me! I think once this next show is over I am going to have a big contest in the shop. I will let you know how it turns out.

Hope everyone and their livestock is doing okay. I am checking on mine throughout the day - this heat is relentless! It has been 100 or above for days in a row now. Naomi, one of the dark brown BL crosses, just looks at me as if to say, "mom, please let me in the house." You can hold your hand over her and just feel the heat rising. I will be glad when fall arrives.

Take care everyone!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  3:04:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sarita!!! I am so happy you are all fine!! I probably wouldn't sleep for a week if that happened here!!

Monica the spindles came today I will keep you all updated once I start. Really made my day as a little down in the dumps, not sure why but ...

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  3:59:37 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I am so glad to hear that Angie is okay! I would have been scared to death! Give her hugs from us!

Grace, I know what you mean about the phone and I don't take it personal at all! The yarn is very beautiful!

Rae, I am glad you got the spindles safely! I think that God has a wonderful timing thing going on!! I am glad that they made your day better!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jul 20 2010 4:00:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  4:48:47 PM  Show Profile
Grace, that will be fine. And take all the time you need. There is no hurry.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

It is not the struggle itself, but how you behave when the struggle is over that determines your character.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  10:16:59 PM  Show Profile
May I ask you all to please keep my friend Mary, her daughter Angela and their family in your prayers! She lost her 8 month old grandson this afternoon! That is all I know right now! Sarita, it is Mary, that I put in touch with you for wool just recently.

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page