oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  7:21:46 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I just saw your post! We really are two peas in a pod! It has taken me forever to get signed up to be in the Phat Fiber box, partly because my e-mails I would send to Jessie kept going to her spam folder and she wasn't getting them!

Rae, I would happily move where it's cooler! Today it's 102 and very humid! I do miss snow too!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  9:12:57 PM  Show Profile
Monica, maybe everything will come together soon. Sounds like you will be in business before you know it. If you have a store, you won't need a craft room at home.
It was so hot today. Everyone, including me had their tongues hanging out. I transplanted some green pepper plants that were too thick (planted seeds) and then went out to visit with the sheep before shutting them in the barn lot for the night. I took a package of gramham crackers with me and gave bites out to the girls and babes. They love them. When I raised quarter horses, I had one guy, Jack, that loved oatmeal cookies from Sam's. I would take out my coffee and a handful of cookies and Jack would smack his lips and move his head up and down, as if to say 'come on Lady, give me another cookie." Cinnamon, an older shetland ewe, is quite the little piggy and gets testy if she feels it is her turn again. She nipped me on the arm when I didn't meet her agenda.
Lambs are growing. I plan to retire some of my older ewes from the breeding program this year. I have a couple that are pets and I love their wool so they aren't getting bred either. I would like to make a sweater out of some of my pets wool and when they are bred and having babies, I don't think their wool is as nice sometimes. I have spoken for another blue faced BL ram, unrelated to any of my flock.

I also got a good chuckle tonight. Some of the ewes are weaning their lambs. The little gray girl ran to a shetland ewe and was sucking and in came a big white ewe and she ran over to her, and started sucking her. The white ewe just stood and looked disgusted but let her suck...I know the shetland ewe was her mother...???? I think someone has become a bummer and it is about time to be weaned! Now that is creative eating!

Cleaning and ironing and the heat today has taken it out of me.
I don't think I will need to count many sheep tonight before I go to sleep.

Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  9:40:46 PM  Show Profile
Sarita - I love when you get someone who takes on all the babies when you are trying to wean - I have a few who just can not say no sometimes.... I ironed today too and I hate ironing in any weather but in this heat it was murder - I had many heavy set of curtains to do and they seem to take forever...

I am doing the Happy Dance for you Monica - See I told you the universe sometimes may take a bit but things work out even if it was never in our plans. Sarita is right you do not need a craft room if you have a shop - you just have to make sure everything is organized and personal things do not get mixed up with those things you are selling.. I speak from experience on this. I had such a deal with an alpaca breeder friend of mine - he was only interested in the tax breaks and breeding fees so I got each year 50 fleeces for free if I would assist in his improvements on breeding for better fiber, get his name out at the fiber shows I went to and also assist him in making his operation smoother. It was a great deal for many years - I also purchased several males from him at hardly not $'s which added to my breeding program. A Great Win/Win! I so hope that you are stepping into such a deal. In fact I still have a couple of his fleece I need to process. As for the phatfiber box I had the same problem with Jessie's emails - it took me hours to get the email to stop bouncing and then to get it out of her spam folder. I will read all the files and start putting on my thinking cap.

I am so excited for you Monica and just know I will always pray for you highest good..

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  04:13:14 AM  Show Profile
Exciting day in the neighborhood, oldest daughter coming up for a couple days with her girls!!! My 2, and only, grand daughters!!. Don't get me wrong I love those 5 boys just as much but waited a while for these girls

Grace the sheep were not sheared last year at all which added to the problem. Not sure yet what will do for next year, one day at a time at the moment on this place.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  04:57:37 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies! It is hot here too. I can't get one of the fleeces to dry in this humidity. You should see the flower beds in front of the house. Last year I complained about the baby goats getting in there and eating everything - its beginning to sound like a good idea this year. Good thing we live in the country and I don't have neighbors giving me dirty looks over the appearance of my yard!

Went down to feed last night and noticed the new dorper ram looked funny. His jaw was all swollen. Went on to the next pasture to feed the wool sheep and the new shetland/bl ewe had the same look. Got on the internet and determined it was probably bottle jaw? Both had been wormed as soon as we brought them home, which is the only weird thing. I would have thought this would have happened before they had been wormed. Stan and I played chase with them in the dark and re-wormed them. I will go out and check on them in a little bit. Hopefully it took care of it. Guess we will be re-worming the entire flock tomorrow when Stan is off.

Been combing fleece until my hands are tired. Probably my best fleece has scurf about 1 1/2 inches from the butt ends and I am too afraid of ruining it using the amonia thing. It is breaking at that point, too. That's okay because it is about an 8 inch staple to begin with. Been pulling off bad ends and combing and combing. It is sooo soft, but for all the work, it doesn't look like I have made a dent in the pile of raw fleece. Love the soft chocolate brown roving I am getting. Read a thread on another site that said: Finish this sentence: You know you have a fiber addiction when.... Mine was "you get a cast off spinning wheel for Christmas, and think 'what the heck am I going to do with that?', let it collect dust for 6 months before you learn how to use it, and one year later have your own herd of fiber sheep!" Kinda crazy when I actually think about. Stan is so patient with me!

Monica - sorry about your craft room. But I can't imagine living in this heat without AC. I bet you are ready for this to all just be over and done with and be a memory.

Jami~ I found a pattern for coffee cup cozies on Ravelry (its name is Coffee Cuff Six Ways) and thought of you and your farmer's market. They are to use in place of the cardboard thingy they put around the paper coffee cups. I made 2 off of handspun and it only takes a little bit of yarn and a little while to make. The pattern could be easily personalized so there wouldn't be any copyright issues. Might be another good pattern kit to offer with your baby booties.

Well, off to check the sheep. Have a wonderful day!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  08:53:01 AM  Show Profile
Just thought I'd hop over and say Hi to the ladies my Mom (Sarita)speaks so often of. She's always shared your experiences with me, but I'm so excited now that I get to read it all first hand. Plus, Mom and I have even more to talk about over the phone. (Like we needed more, right Mom?)

I'm heading down to Missouri to see Mom and Dad tomorrow. I feel like a child on Christmas Eve. Although I love my new home and surroundings, there's no place like being at Mom's. She's such a sweetie and helped me a great deal after my divorce. It was her farm where I started a new life and I'm forever grateful for that. I love you Mom!

I can't wait to see those sheep! I have my favorites, I'll admit it and I can't wait to get my arms around them. I can't wait to have some of my own. I'm already researching fence prices so we can fence in the orchard on my husband's family farm. Many years ago, sheep roamed that very same orchard. They kept the trees skirted and fertilized a bit at the sametime, but the fence is in disrepair and we'll need to clear it all out for new. What an undertaking! I believe the orchard alone is 40 acres. Anyone up for a Michigan trip? LOL .......Mom....... mom, did you read that last question? hint hint....

I look forward to getting to know you all. Take Care!

Angie

Check out my blog: http://happeningsofangieandwayne.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  09:41:39 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. Hi Angie - glad to see you over here on these pages. How great for both you and your mom that you are getting to go home for a visit.

Hope all is well with everyone this morning. Supposed to be near 90 today - quite a switch from the sweatshirt weather we had two days ago. Good for drying fleeces though. We are lucky as we have dry heat here and humidity is not a problem.

Sounds like things are really falling into place for you, Monica. I am glad to hear it after this house has been such a struggle. Sometimes I think the universe waits for the perfect timing. We are always in a hurry for things to go a certain way but sometimes the timing is just off and we have to wait for a more auspicious time for everything to work. Then, things that didn't seem fesable all of a sudden just magically work. I am excited for you to find such a potentially wonderful fiber connection. I will pray that things work out in a positive way for you all. Hope Gary is feeling better as well.

Today it's back to washing wool and picking fleeces. More strawberries to pick this evening as well. My partner is coming over today and we are working on a cabinet for a friend so will be spraying lacquer today which means one more of my boxes will get sprayed as well.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  10:13:27 AM  Show Profile
Hey Angie, nice to meet you

Ok ladies, filthy wool, try pick and clean a bit and then wash or vice versa???

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  10:31:38 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, If everything goes good with finishing up the house we could be in the shop by fall!

Grace, I am really excited about meeting with Jerry tomorrow about the Alpaca! It could work out really well for both of us! He has a few places that he sells to, but he said that he does have fiber stacking up and they just sheared the end of May! I think we can work out something that would benefit both of us! I think I am going to mark my batts down today and I am thinking of trying to make some mug matts or something out of some of the yarn and then starting over on the shop! I am excited about a new direction with the shop!

I hope you all stay cool today! I was up at 6 and it was already hot and humid! Wouldn't be bad if it were not for the humidity, but it's just that time of year!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  10:55:36 AM  Show Profile
Lori, I will have a/c one way of the other! It looks like things may be worked out!

Sheri, Thank you for the prayers! I am excited about the fiber too! I think it is just one of those things of timing because I have talked to him before, but this time I think because he is piled up from shearing he is trying to find more outlet and we could work together well on this! I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow! Gary rolled his eyes when I told him! Gary is doing better! He is walking with a cane now, but he gets frustrated and what he can't do!

Rae, I would pick out larger bits of hay and stuff and maybe sort it some if there are sections that are cleaner, other than that I would say that the VM may come out better without the lanolin!

Angie, Welcome!! I know what you mean about No place like mom's!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  11:37:06 AM  Show Profile
Happy Dance, twirling in circles dance...Angie is going to be here tomorrow!

"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  12:57:11 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, I typed a entry on the laptop and when I was about finished, I hit the space bar and it disappeared into a big dark hole somewhere...I am at my old reliable desktop now.

Rae, I know what you mean about the grandchildren coming, I am excited but worried that little breaches will be too much for me but Ang will be here to help.
Rae, about your wool: take out the belly wool, neck and head, and possibly all the way down the back if it is full of vm. Toss this and cut your losses right now. Take the side wool and shake it and pick it as clean as you can get it. Put the good wool in nylon bags to wash. After you let it soak the first time and put it in the washer to spin it, take the wool back out of the bag and shake it good, pick out more vm, return it to the bag and let soak again in soapy water and repeat until you have it good and clean and the water is clear. Rinse and spin, take it out of the bags and shake again and lay it out. Sometimes vm will come out after it is dried too. Next year will be better because you will have control of feeding hay lower where the sheep won't get it on their heads and necks. You can put them in a grassy lot that you mow or let them keep the grass short and without weed seeds. Feed grains or sheep feed in pans or feed bunks that are lower to the grow to prevent getting in the wool. I put down some straw in the barn last fall and winter so they wouldn't get their wool as dirty but what I didn't see until I began washing my wool was that the straw had seeds and this got into the wool and it has been a time consumming deal to get it out. I definitely don't want a fleece going out of here with seeds or sticktights in it so I am washing and skirting to prevent a bad reputation from my buyers.

Grace, aren't you glad that ironing is done? I know I am. Today I am cleaning on the kitchen, down on hands and knees to scrub today. I do have a regular mop but just feel like I have got it cleaner doing it by hand. Grace, do you have any rubber or acrylic stamps of sheep that you would want to sell?

Monica, I pray that God will guide and direct your on all your decisions and opportunities.
Hope Gary gets better real soon to make the move into the house.

Sheri, I bet your shelves are getting full of strawberry jam. I definitely want to see a finished box. Pictures please?

Lori, yesterday it was so hot here and the wind was blowing, a real scorcher but it would have been a day to have a couple of fleeces in the wash...I didn't but should have! Today is not as hot but it is very humid.

Ang, Dad just smiled and chuckled and shook his head when I read him what you had written here. You have got me planning a Happy Halloween cupcake pincushion now...and I didn't even sign up for it...ahhh but you got in on the teapot cozy a couple of years ago didn't you! I have out the basket weaving supplies just in case we think about doing some weaving while you are home.

Jami, miss reading your entries, can't get into facebook...I have tried! I confirm you as friends and then wonder what now!

Got to get started mopping that kitchen so I will have time to play with the sheep tonight.

Later fiber friends
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  06:54:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies and a BIG HELLO to ANGIE!!! How exciting to have you hear and your mother is over the moon....

Sarita I will check on the stamps I have many sheep stamps but as you know letting go of them is very hard.... You know that might be a mooment when the will strikes me and I have to make a sheep card - giggle - like I have that time.

Last night was the cooking marathon before the really high temps hit. I did Mexican Pulled Chicken, Summer Chicken Soup with homemade Herb Noodles, 5 Spice Chinesse Chicken, BBQ Pork Tenderloin, German Beef Roladan, Sweet Sausage Garden Tomato Sause, Burbon Pork Roast with Fresh Herbs, and a Pecan and Pinon Nut Pie. I decided to stock the frig and freezer with some good food so I do not do my "Did I eat today" thing that I am known for when the temps start to climb. I also loaded the house with fresh fruit and veggies - so I preped them last night also for quick grabbing...

Hopefully the dyes come today so I can finish my yarns that I started and also get a few more fleeces done. I have all these ideas in my head and hate that I am now waiting - see that is how we get these huge stashs of stuff - we need to work when the creative juices are flowing.

Rae I agree with the ladies instructions of fiber prep - Also I look at what the VM is - somethings will just fall out after washing but others will make a bigger mess if you do not get it out before washing. Also, skirting hard is the best - you can not make anything work if you are trying to save every bit of fiber... You have to learn to be harsh on the skirting to save you time, money and heart ache not to mention your fingers.... Good luck and just remember we are all sitting and picking, pulling and saying words we should not say in front of folks - it is part of the charm of raising fiber animals and processing their fleeces...

Well ladies have a great day and I am back to work... Hope the weather is kind to all of us I know I will be working in my underwear and trying to stand on concrete all weekend.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  12:11:44 PM  Show Profile
Hello all! Just came in from weeding a row, just gets too hot but a little is better than nothing!! Haven't had a chance to touch the wool but brother leaves on Monday so thinking new week will be better time for me to start attempting

Grace I think your place it the one to be at hot or or not, you have FOOD!!! Sounds awful good to me My freezer is getting a bit bare but good to get the old stuff out I guess and make room for new. Trying really hard to use up and not waste anything.

Brother is playing at a concert tonight so will go to that. Should be just a couple hours long. He is doing 7 songs. An old band mate/classmate of his is doing a show and asked him to come be one of the star guests.

Later all....
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  1:20:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!
Just a quick note to let you know how the fair is going...
HOT (100 degrees today, exhausting and lots of hard work!
And of course we had an electrical storm and a big tree limb came down and smashed the fence, laid across the driveway and then smashed the fence on the other side, so after transporting two sets of sheep and a third transport of chickens to the fair we were out until 9 p.m. chainsawing and doing fence repairs...
Spending time helping the youngsters fit their sheep and making sure they are doing their feeding jobs and other fair responsibilities.
Today I had to man the information table so I decided to comb wool at the same time to pass the time.
Yesterday was Shepherd's Lead line and one of the judges had a last minute emergency and couldn't come so I roped a friend in to be one of the judges. She was nervous but ended up having a great time.
The economy is really having an effect on the County Fair. Entries are way down and the girls in Shepherd's lead line either won their fabric to sew with or bought clothes to wear at the thrift store.
Wanted to describe one cute little 8 year old's outfit: It was her first time showing a sheep and doing shepherd's lead and she went to the thrift store and got a lemon yellow 100% wool sweater that was way too big for her. She rolled up the sleeves and wore it with some old jeans and cowboy boots. She found a black wool purse at the thrift store too to sling over her shoulder and to top the outfit off she had a BIG bright pink felt cowboy hat with silver rick rack and sequins. She was so proud of her ensemble! She put it together all by herself...Cute as a button. It has been long days and evenings. We bought all the prizes for Sunday's sheep show today and we are taking a rest now for the big day Sunday.
Little worried about Calypso - she is looking a little peaked. Hope she will be okay.
Sara
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  2:54:57 PM  Show Profile
I hope everyone is staying cool today! It's 106 right now in the shade and it's so humid that there is not much else to do, but to stay in front of the a/c!

Sara, Sorry to heat about the fence! The outfit sound way to cute!

Grace, Jerry and I decided to try and meet next week because it's just too hot to drive up here! Hopefully we will meet Monday or Tuesday! I have just recently discovered gossamer lace weight yarn! I have seen some that is 40/2 so I have a new goal for how thin I can spin! I guess all of the time spinning silk thread will pay off after all!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  8:18:02 PM  Show Profile
Rae, Your spindles are on their way! Sorry I didn't get them out sooner, but it has been so hot, I have tried to avoid going out!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  04:37:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh Monica thank you and thank you again!!! Today is supposed to be in the 90's which is getting pretty hot for us. Humidity is supposed to kick in as well and the good old thunderstorms

Enjoyed hearing my brother play again last night, been a long time. He was nervous coming back home to sing but the crowd was wonderful and happy to have him!

Enjoy your weekend!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  06:22:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh Rae I sure wished I could have been a fly on the wall - I bet it was a magical night to have your brother singing and you being there. What type of singing???

Monica I understand about the heat - I do all my outside stuff so early or so late just to not go outside. That was until Maggie got her head stuck in a panel - you know needing that one blade of grass while standing in a whole pasture of it.. I was out in the heat for what seemed like forever takeing the whole thing apart because she just would not relax for my to put her head back on the other side. So after I did all that I was so sweaty that I had to wait a while before I could even peel the clothes off me to wash up.. THIS IS JULY, RIGHT???

Sara, everything sounds like to are getting thru fair. Sounds like a typical fair - week. I really do not miss those days - great memories but a ton of work.. Sounds like that little gal put together some outfit - I almost think it is better that way because I hated when the parents did everything and you knew the kids did not have a say in anything... I required my boys to do their own projects - how else are they going to learn.. Also, when they did win they knew "They WON" - I did not need another ribbon in my world - they needed to know that hard work, pride in the talent would carry them thru. State Champions they were in every project but it was because I required them to step up to the plate and work!!! Now in adulthood the put that to practice each day. I hope the rest of fair runs smoothly - or as smoothly as fairs go...

Is Angie here yet??? Bet your having tons of fun... Give her a squeeze from me..

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  07:26:42 AM  Show Profile
Morning all. Supposed to be hot today here too. I am taking a break from outside work to do some house cleaning - things like laundry and ironing get away from me when I am spending so much time outside.

How is your dying going, Grace? Did you ever get your "troll house brown" to turn out? Did your dye arrive? Sorry to hear you had to "unstick" Maggie from the fence. It's so frustrating when they won't cooperate.

What was the final verdict on the house issue, Monica? Will you get moved soon? How exciting to have your own shop.

What kind of music does your brother do, Rae? It's been years (since my husband died) since I've performed in public. We used to do the small fairs and the local festivals - mainly a mixture of folk and light rock. Once you get those spindles you'll be hard pressed to put them down.....

Did Angie arrive yet? I'll bet you are having a great time. My daughter is in NYC so I only get to see her every other year - I'm jealous! Enjoy.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  08:11:31 AM  Show Profile
Rae, You are so welcome! Anything to help further the addiction!!

Grace,I know all to well what you are talking about with peeling clothes off! We generally have hot weather and humidity, but usually not at the same time! We have actually had a fairly mild summer up until just recently! I can't wait to meet up with Jerry Monday or Tuesday!

Sheri, We are going to get 2 large window a/c heating units so that part of the house is settled! Steve is supposed to be in town on Tuesday so hopefully if they have them in stock at Lowe's he will go and get them! I wish we could have gotten this settled months ago, but it will all work out! Once we get the a/c in it may take about a month or so to finish everything else up! Maybe less! I am so anxious to get moved! /right now I am trying to clear a bunch of stuff out! I am in one of those moods to get rid of everything that is not fiber, fabric or nailed down!!

Hope you all have a great day and stay cool!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  09:09:05 AM  Show Profile
My brother does country/country rock. His inspiration was Waylon Jennings. He does a lot of his music plus Tony has written a lot of his own music. It was fun.

Getting pretty warm for MN already and not noon!! If I decide to go to art in the park business going to be sure and go very soon as sure not going around 3 when it starts peaking out in heat, too much for me!!
Who knows maybe one of these years in near future I will have some art for the park
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  05:48:17 AM  Show Profile
A warm sticky hello to all! We got almost an inch of rain last night, luckily the bad storms broke up before they got to us. The last storm flattened my sweet corn. Sure hope it comes back up.
The wound is healing up nicely, from that spider bite. No futher signs of infection, still keeping a close eye on it though. It looks like no skin graft will be needed. Hopefully it stays that way. But I am changeing dressing now, and I can get it the shower!!! Yippee. Baths were just no fun, trying to make sure to keep that wound dry!
Got my dyes a while back,(paradise fibers) fast shipping. But one of the lids was busted, and what a mess all over. It was the red too, so my fingers were pink. They did send a new bottle, which was nice. Can't wait to start playing with it. Thanks again to all that wrote down suggestions here. I will post some pictures.
When my aunt is here, she will be showing how to use an inkle loom. If my husband gets them made! He did make one for my sister, and my niece is going to town on it. Not that I need another hobby, but diversity is fun! The garden is starting to produce now. And will be harvesting some honey this week.
Sounds like all have been busy and having a little fun too. Fair time is fun----but tiring. Enjoy making memories!
take care Michele
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  09:00:44 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. Glad to hear your bite is healing up ok without any undue complications, Michele. I use a product called ReDuRan Special from Dharma Trading to take dye stains off my hands. It comes in a tube and works like a champ. I haven't jumped into dying wool yet but I do a lot of fabric and wood veneer dying and this stuff is a God send when it comes to getting dye off your hands.

Glad to hear you got your A/C issue worked out, Monica. Hopefully you will be moving before you know it.

Today I am back to trying to clean. Some days it's just a lesson in futility - it was a "phone day" yesterday - I swear just about everyone wanted to talk so I didn't get nearly as much accomplished as I wanted to. I need to get the house back into shape so I can get back to work on what I love "guilt free".

Have a great day everyone and stay cool - if it's even possible.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  3:09:04 PM  Show Profile
Whoopee!!!!!!! I got a new wheel! Mom got me an Ashford traditional from the 1970's as a very early birthday present! I am so excited! I sat down to spin after church today - some beautiful shetland from the lady in Missouri that has sold us several sheep. I plan to try and catch the historical museum open in the next week or two and volunteer to spin, if they want me, at their next historical days gathering. It spins like a dream!

Hot, hot, hot. While I was spinning, Stan said the thermometer showed 103 degrees. Local radio station has our heat index at 117 degrees. Ugh. I got sweaty just walking from the sanctuary to Sunday School this morning. 'Scuse me...my granny would insist that I was glistening, not sweating, that is what working men do. :) We got up at 4:00 yesterday morning and were worming and vaccinating sheep by 5:00 to beat the heat. Sooooo much easier than working cattle. That is usually an all day affair - luckily we do it in early spring and fall. The little dorper ram and the new ewe are doing fine after their swollen jaw incident. We think he was needing to be wormed and she got stung by something. Totally different types of swelling happened. The new Boer ram is a yelling little thing. He was hand raised by the lady we got him from, so any time we step outside he cuts loose! Avery named him Drummer - where do 10 year olds come up with stuff? Leaning towards Oreo for the dorper.

Went shopping with our kids Friday. Decided to hit second hand stores instead of buying new. It is amazing what nice clothes people get rid of. (I am being a hypocrite by saying that. Been known to take items to the crisis center with tags still on them.) Managed to generously outfit all three kiddos for school this fall for a tiny fraction of what the items would have cost new. Only have jeans for the boys to still find. None of them at resale shops - apparently all little boys destroy jeans before they outgrow them, not just mine. Then, one of the outlet stores in the big city had a sale on sweaters that were in need of repair. Most of them just had seams that had come un-sewed or one row of stitches that had raveled down. Jess and I managed a few more super-expensive name brand sweaters that will be easily fixed for only $3 each. I love the fact that my mom and granny took the time and patience to teach me how to use my hands!

Angie and Sarita~ Enjoy your time together! I can't imagine. The furthest I have ever lived from home was when I was at college 70 miles away. The best mother in law in the world lives 100 yards down the driveway, and my mom is 10 minutes away. I get a kick out of people asking if we are travelling for Thanksgiving every year. I tell them "Yep. I am taking the turkey out of the oven and walking down the hill with it!" I love going to mom's and working alongside her. I am still learning things!

Sheri~ I hear you on the cleaning. Since it turned off so hot, the three house dogs are shedding like crazy and I need to vacuum everyday just to stay ahead, and then we all are yucking up clothes double time in this heat. I love caller ID. It comes standard with our phone service. I just don't answer the phone some times.

Tomorrow will be busy. I have a basket full of Esther's wool all nice and washed and combed that I want to get carded and up in the shop. I want to start washing the suri that came in the mail Saturday. I plan to get the last few items out my classroom (grinning great big here) and get my small fridge tomorrow - I plan to use it for chicken eggs. We are getting 1-3 a day now. Hopefully Stan will let me drive my new bus route, too. I want to get some bread baked tomorrow morning before it gets hot and probably something in the slow cooker for supper tomorrow night.

Keep Cool!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page