Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  1:43:35 PM  Show Profile
Hallie Harris (Hallie, #1112) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Light the Way badge.

"I used fencing wire to make the Outpost Chandelier in the Ideabook. I thought it needed a little more glitz, so I also strung some clear beads on wire to make drops and chandelier "jewels".

In order to develop a video for MaryJanesFarm.tv, I ended up making several and I like the outpost chandelier now more than ever. A few variations, and some experimentation with decorative elements, and I realized how versatile this project is. I also learned that things made from wire can be difficult to photograph."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  1:50:56 PM  Show Profile
Hallie Harris (Hallie, #1112) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I made a rustic bean teepee for my peas this year out of some branches from my plum trees. It kept the peas off the ground and they've been very productive.

I tied a few sticks together to make a trellis, but somebody thought that wasn't very interesting for a video, so I did a little research into the ancient art of willow bending. Willow bending is probably best known in the British Isles where it is used to create baskets, living sculptures, and pleached fences -- the latter are excellent for controlling erosion and keeping livestock out of river areas. It turns out you can use just about any small greenwood branch to make bent willow sculpture.

I ended up making a trellis out of some young willow branches growing by the pond at the farm. I made guides for my willow branches by drilling some holes in a piece of scrap wood. The branches went in the guide holes, then got bent and tied together with floral wire. After about a week, the branches dried out and maintained their shape, although I didn't remove the wire as the open shape of the trellis can use the extra stability. You can see an overview of the process with video on (MaryJanesFarm.tv).

The bent wood trellis was fun and ended up quite pretty if I do say so myself. I haven't actually put it in the garden yet, but maybe next year. As for my pea teepee, well my peas are coming back for another round now, so they seem pretty happy."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  2:18:53 PM  Show Profile
Tera Barton (Tera Barton, #1704) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I dried some texas tarragon that I had grown in my garden. I put up about 1 cup full of dried tarragon and also dried some lemon zest. I mixed the two together to make a chicken, meat seasoning. Also added dried rosemary.

It made my chicken soup and homemade noodles delicious! This will be a keeper recipe for our family."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  2:50:57 PM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd (thebyrdhaus, #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I have maintained a compost bin in my garden for a couple of years. I also have a worm bin in my kitchen for kitchen compost. I have read “Worms Eat My Garbage” by Mary Appelhof, and use it as a reference.

I have more compost and worm tea than I can use, lol. I feel as though I am doing my part in being "green" as well as I have had the prettiest, most productive organic garden in the neighborhood."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  3:11:13 PM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd (thebyrdhaus, #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) badge.

"I made plant markers out of old window blinds. I do sharpen my own garden tools and clean and oil them down well after using them.

I have practiced caring for garden tools for years. My father always kept a lidded bucket of used oil in the shed to dip our garden tools after cleaning and he always stressed how important it was."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  3:25:13 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Schroeder (tea_lady_tammy, #1889) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I decided to start out with a small herb garden and at the same time learn about growing a small vegetable garden for next spring. I planted Parsley, Chives, Oregano, Rosemary, two kinds of Lavender, Sage, and Thyme. They are very forgiving in our soil. Hubby helped me learn how to make our soil richer. We used organic mulch and then we also used old hay as well.

My plants are doing very well. I am now getting ready to transplant a few into pots so I can have some herbs in my kitchen for cooking. I have planted basil and oregano, and mint into pots. But I plan to take out one of each plant for my pots. Then prepare the rest for winter. Hubby has said he will help learn how to do this. I so enjoyed learning about herbs and adding them to recipes. I am looking forward to next spring when I can get started earlier and have more for harvest. This year I mostly have used them for cooking as there is not enough to really harvest for oils, etc. So I hope to expand my plants next year as I will be beginning at the beginning of the growing season rather than mid season."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  3:38:04 PM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd (thebyrdhaus, #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have been collecting buttons since I was a child. Now my granddaughters enjoy sorting and playing with the jars and jars of buttons that I have collected. I never discard clothing without removing the buttons.

Many years collecting and thousands of buttons."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  3:49:33 PM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd (thebyrdhaus, #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I made a button bracelet. Using buttons from my collection and stretch cord. I make many of these. I make all kinds of articles from recycled items.

It turned out fantastic!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  4:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"I looked up the terms f-stop, shutter speed and ISO on this website, http://www.photonhead.com/beginners/
The terms make sense but I'm still a little confused on how exactly to apply it to my camera. My camera doesn't allow for the changing of settings. Instead, I have a dial with pictures for things like Night, Landscape, Close up, Sports, etc. Should be pretty simple but I have gotten in the habit of just using Auto and letting the camera do the best it can. I experimented with the Close up setting with my craft pictures. I used Landscape to get a picture of horses in the pasture. I used Sports to take pictures of my active children. I also paid attention to framing, the rule of thirds, depth of field and leading lines when taking my photos. I learned a lot.

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd268/glutenfreebaby/Farmgirl%20Shutterbugs/"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  4:31:20 PM  Show Profile
Joan Van Roo (Tourguide Joan, #1413) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Know Your Food badge.

"I read "Omnivore's Dilemma." What an incredibly informative book! I tell everyone they should read it! I have eliminated high fructose corn syrup from my diet...not easy. It is in everything! I was alerted to this fact by Michael Pollen's book. For dessert once a week I have unsweetned chunky applesauce or a baked apple.
At the present time I am eating at least 75% organic.

I have learned so much about agriculture in the United States, processed foods. I now realize the importance of organic food for the health of our bodies, my eating habits are radically different."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  4:41:56 PM  Show Profile
Joan Van Roo (Tourguide Joan, #1413) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"Went through my kitchen and threw out storage containers I never use and pans I haven't used in years.

Continued cleaning and my daughter and I had a combined garage sale. We donated the money, $365, to an orphanage in China. (My granddaughter is from China.)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  4:49:00 PM  Show Profile
Joan Van Roo (Tourguide Joan, #1413) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"Watched www.VANISHINGBEES.COM, Read Sue Monk's "The Secret Life of Bees." This summer I planted cone flowers, bee balm and sunflowers for the bees. I saw lots of them.

Love seeing bees amongst the flowers. Also went to the honey and bee area of the Minnesota state fair. Always buy the honey ice cream with sunflower seeds. I learned that Minnesota used to be the number one honey producing state until recently. We have lost lots of bees. Next year I want to plant more cone flowers and sunflowers for the bees."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  5:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd (thebyrdhaus, #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I made a sewing kit for my son's girlfriend. I have been teaching her to sew and she truly needed her own sewing kit. I try to recycle or upcycle as much as I possibly can so I purchased the case at a local thrift store. I made the pin cushion from a glass candle stick I painted to appear as rustic metal. The scissor holder can also be used as a pin cushion and made from a recycled potholder. I made the little needle book from leftover fabric and included needles, straight pins and safety pins of various sizes. I included a small jar of buttons, some velcro strips and iron on patches I made from fabric scraps and heat-n-bond. Also included were common items such as measuring tape, seam ripper, scissors, needle treader, small spools of thread in multiple colors. I previously gave her a leather thimble I am sure she will be more than happy to add to her sewing kit.

It turned out wonderful. I especially loved the little needle book. My son is in the military and my next project is a small sewing kit for him to make minor repairs. I plan on using a black hard eyeglass case that springs securely shut. It will be "manly" as well as effective."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  5:04:17 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"Since February, I have started using "green" cleaners, making more and more on my own as time goes by. We got rid of all the toxic ones last Spring. My favorite ingredient is vinegar! It is my wonder liquid! I use it for so much now. Our family mission statement reads as follows: "We pledge to not use harmful chemicals in our home, esp. for cleaning. We vow to keep our grocery bill low by making our own, our water well clean by not using chemical based cleaners that find their way into the ground and teach our child and family that commercial cleaners are no better than the fresh, non-toxic ones we make ourselves. If we cannot make a product, we vow to purchase a non-toxic earth-friendly one."

It has been great. My nails are long from not having my hands in chemical cleaners, my home smells fresh but not bleach-y, and we've saved money and the environment (and not exposed ourselves to toxic cleaners!) I have shared my ideas and recipes with my friends in my chapter, and with my family."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  4:32:03 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"This was a great exercise for me. My 8 year old gave me a little notepad with a dog on it as a gift, and I have used it for my gratitude journal. What started out as something for a Merit Badge, has become so much more. 2010 has been one of the most difficult years my family and I have ever faced, and keeping this gratitude journal forced me to see the good, the blessings, and to see the glass half full, not half empty.

Wonderful. My little book still has pages to go, and I write a "gratitude" in it several times a week, if not every day. When it is all done, it will be a little keepsake."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  4:43:49 PM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd (thebyrdhaus, #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I not only always use reusable shopping bags, I make my shopping bags out of feed bags. I try to recycle any items I can. :)

I keep the bags in my car and truck so I always have them. My husband has even joined forces and shops with our recycled shopping bags."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  3:30:00 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Parodi (elizparodi, #1979) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner and intermediate level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I learned how to milk a cow years ago when I was a little girl. My family lived near a dairy farm (Grants, owned by Jack Perry), and the farmer was always so nice to the children that came to visit, and he taught me how to milk a cow.

Years later, at the Cumberland Commonground Fair in Maine, I taught my son how to milk a goat.

My husband and I have a small flock of chickens in our little city lot, in our back yard. We became very interested in having our own fresh eggs, and I can tell you there is nothing like it!!!

We have a variety of chicken breeds, Auracana (that lay the pretty blue eggs), and a Buff Orpington. Two of the breeds we have are listed in the Slow Food USA Ark of Taste and the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy.

The Delaware is listed as critically endangered and a heritage breed in danger of extinction.

The Plymouth Rock we have is listed in the recovering catagory, but is still in need of support, promotion and conservation.

We love all of our chickens equally, and a couple of them do little tricks for pieces of milk-soaked bread.

Attached is a picture of the two heritage birds. Cleo, the white one in front is the Delaware. The Buff Orpington, Aida, is on the left. On the right is a full grown Auracana, Bobbler, as you can see, she is sporting her "whiskers" on the sides of her head, which Auracanas are noted for. In the very back is our Barred Plymouth Rock, Ashby. Ashby thinks she rules the roost. The three Auracanas beg to differ."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  3:37:06 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"I oiled doors, bikes and garden tools.

I'm so glad I ever came across this program, because I have not been taking care of our garden tools properly. I have however, oiled doors and bikes over the years."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  3:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Sheena L. Keenan (Rural Lady, #2156) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner, intermediate, and expert level Going Green badge.

"I first started on the beginner level by ridding my home of harsh cleaner and all cleaners and products that were not green. Then I started dabbling in making my own face soaps, bady washes, perfumes (all with natural green substances), then I went on to making laundry detergent. At first this was a disaster, and my clothes did not come out clean at all. But after meeting with a few old time country girls in my area they shared with me some of their tricks to make laundry soap. I found that good old fashion baking soda works for just about everything, you can mix in some natural plant oils to add scent and for the bars of soap, I used fresh all natural cows milk. (I have acess to a green dairy farm over the hill from me.) Then after doing all this I then proceeded to give my in-laws home a green chemical free over haul. At first my father in-law thought I was nuts and said why make life harder on my self but then he came around after I sat with him and shared all the benefits of living chemical free and greener. I then showed them how I use a indoor wooded drying rack to dry my clothes in stead of my noisy clothes dryer. My mother in-law saw this and also seeing that she could save money and the enviroment she gladly accepted this greener life style change. After doing all this for my in-laws I moved on to my parents. They were a bit harder to convince and it took me a whole week of working with them and me having to make the green cleaners for them to join in and accept it. I however could not get my grammy to give up her Pledge or Clorox Clean Up. But thats okay I got her to use the store bought Green Works brand now.
For my own home we already have natural hard wood floors, but I threw out all my fake non-natural rugs and replaced them with hand made wool or coconut fiber ones. This has been a very busy and productive two weeks for me.

This all worked out really well, the only problem was getting others to understand my passion for this and how it would better them and the environment."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  4:02:28 PM  Show Profile
Sheena L. Keenan (Rural Lady, #2156) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner, intermediate, and expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I started off a while ago by ridding my home, and close friend's home of plactic bags. Then we got together and had a green shopping bag party. I love the all natural cotton tote bags that LL Bean sells, a little pricey but I think they will last forever. Then after doing that, we pledged to make sure that we always kept them in our vehicles and use them every time we shopped. I also carry extras (not my LL Bean ones but cheaper cotton ones just in case some one needs one). I do a monthly swap with my neighbor on my road. It gives time to catch up and swap new ideas and seeds that we have collected from our summer gardens.
I have made little flyers to hand out to the ladies in my Claysville, PA chapter on the positive uses of going green and using all natural cotton bags. We pledged to never use the plastic bags or any other shopping bag that is not 100% cotton.

This went very well, I love my resuable shopping bags, they are great and really pretty too. I think that everyone that received a resuable shopping bag is very happy with it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  4:36:00 PM  Show Profile
Sheena L. Keenan (Rural Lady, #2156) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner, intermediate, and expert level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I have been a bee keeper for 3 years. I have Buckfast bees which come from Bee Weaver apiaries. They are a hardy mite resistant strand. We have fields upon fields of clover, golden rod and many other flowering plants and trees. I collect my own honey in the spring and fall and leave them with plenty to get through the winter. I also go to schools and the local fairs and craft shows to sell my natural honey and educate others on the need and importance of honey bees. Keeping bees benefits our hay fields with pollination. I promote the many health benifits of honey, I eat only and sell only raw unpasteurized honey. It contains all the propolis, pollen and tasty bits that are all very healthy for you. Processed honey is lacking all of these healthly tid bits. I currently have 6 hives that I manage and maintain, I already have my order in for 3 more in the spring. I am planning in the spring having all my neighbors, and any one else that is interested in keeping honey bees, come to my farm so I CAN GIVE A EDUCATIONAL SEMINAR on them and how to hive your new bees.

Raising bees has been a fantastic experience and a very tasty one at that."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  12:21:38 PM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (Beverly44, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I have just put my garden to rest for the year. I did not use pesticides or chemical fertilizers. I use tabacco water, ground hot pepper, and such for pest control.

Due to weather conditions my garden was not up to par, but will see me through the winter."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  12:28:02 PM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (Beverly44, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Grow Where You're Planted badge.

"I have always watched for our native wild flowers. Such as Indian Paint Brush, Mt. Laural, Wild Violet, Iron Weed, and my favorite Queen Ann's Lace. I have pressed samples of these, but can't say they are endangered. I also read "Bloom Where You Are Planted."

Watching and gathering the wild flowers is always a great pleasure, I use some on my Christmas tree every year."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  12:32:31 PM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (Beverly44, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I have always wanted a compost pile, so this year I have one. I put it in a home built box beside my garden. Wonderful, thing to have, so useful.

I will always have a compost pile, by spring it will be ready and waiting for me. Works perfectly. I read "The Earth Moved."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  12:37:18 PM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (Beverly44, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We raised chickens and turkeys as a 4H project this year. We fed them our own grain and vegetables. They make great pets, and there are eggs for everyone.

Was a good project. Won 2 ribbons for 2 turkeys."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page