Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  1:11:25 PM  Show Profile
Jessie Yonkovit (JessieMae, #134) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I collected 6 reusable shopping bags and 1 shopping basket and have used them consistently. The wrinkly orange bag (second from right in the photograph) folds down into its own pouch and can be carried in my regular purse, so I am never without it!

I use the bags with every shopping trip!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  1:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Jessie Yonkovit (JessieMae, #134) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"I assembled a survival kit containing a flourescent rain poncho, combination whistle/compass/matchbox, waterproof matches, first aid kit, nylon cord, a Swiss Army knife, a plastic mirror, an (organic!) energy bar, and a space blanket. I also made a muslin sack to keep it all together in my backpack. In addition, using the book Roadside Guide to Michigan Plants, Trees, and Flowers by Edwin and Connie Arnfield that I borrowed from the library, I was able to identify 10 plants native to Michigan and whether or not they could be used as medicine or food, or if they were poisonous.

The survival kit will be handy on hikes (I won’t have to run all over the house finding stuff, since it’s all in one place now), and learning the native plants was interesting enough that I think I will buy a copy of the book I borrowed and keep it with my pack, so I can identify more of the plants I walk through and hardly notice!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  1:31:49 PM  Show Profile
Anna Vaagen (vaagen, #2074) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I finally opened my real estate firm, after years of planning and wishing! Thanks for the motivation I needed!

I have already recruited two new agents!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  4:02:19 PM  Show Profile
Linda Douglas (lindadouglas, #2117) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I have been around horses my whole life from working at a stable as a young lady and now my daughter owns her own horse (that she keeps at her Poppy's house). She is a bay, and a real beauty, but on Monday the 20th (my day off) I took your challenge and drove around my community (Eagleville, TN to be exact) looking for different kinds of horses...mostly all there were was Tennessee Walking Horses but I was pleasantly surprised when I came upon this one farm that had an Appaloosa...so this has become the breed that I plan to research for my next level. As far as "meeting" a horse up close and personal, I do that everytime I need to help my daughter saddle "Taylor" her bay or brush her, or put braids in her mane.

It was nice to have a drive around in the country with nothing to do but look at horses for a change. I took my trusty goat, Cookie with me. Picture enclosed is of my daughter, Hannah and her horse Taylor."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  4:11:47 PM  Show Profile
Linda Douglas (lindadouglas, #2117) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the trailer and even though I had heard of CCD, I guess I just didn't realize that it spread all the way around the world...I agree with what the one lady said about industrialization, I would leave too. Pretty much sums it up. I read the Secret Life of Bees a couple years ago, and loved it but was very disappointed when the movie came out, it didn't do the book justice. I always plant sunflowers and cosmos in around my vegetable garden, last year my cosmos were pink, this year they are orange, but I don't think the bees mind. :)

I have always loved bees, my grandmother kept them her ever since my dad was a little boy. I looked up my local bee association, they meet the first monday of the month, can't wait to go in a few weeks."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  4:21:00 PM  Show Profile
Linda Douglas (lindadouglas, #2117) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I live in a neighborhood but I have 4 chickens and 4 pygmy goats. I love having farm fresh eggs everyday, my two youngest chickens just started laying last week, yay!

My chickens and goats are the best pets ever, they love me just as much as any dog, and they actually contribute eggs and milk/cheese to our family's diet. The picture is of my oldest daughter taking her chicken "puffalong" for a ride in her Barbie Jeep."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  4:30:25 PM  Show Profile
Linda Douglas (lindadouglas, #2117) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I cleaned out my storage cabinets (now is the perfect time to do it - I have used almost all my frozen food containers freezing veggies from my garden) so the missing lids and extra lids were easy to spot. While I was at it, I also organized the rest of my cabinets, I have been a busy girl. :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  10:09:58 AM  Show Profile
Sherri Reece (slreece, #2090) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"Most of these I got when Hancock Fabrics had their going out of business sale. They were .10 -.25 cents each card. Some I found in my sewing machine that belonged to my great grandmother."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  10:25:57 AM  Show Profile
Sherri Reece (slreece, #2090) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I used a pattern for a clothespin apron I found in a book "One Yard Wonders." It is the second apron I've made, but the first one for myself.

It isn't perfect, but I'm proud none the less. I have pulled out of storage two half aprons that my great grandmother made just for me and one that was my great aunts. I started wearing one everyday at home this week. It just feels right to have one on."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  10:36:15 AM  Show Profile
Sherri Reece (slreece, #2090) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I cleaned out four shelves today and found so much extra space! The trick will be in keeping it this way. It inspired me to start on my closet and pantry too."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  10:44:35 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"This spring I bought seed packets for a dozen heirloom varieties to plant. I read "Gardening with Heirlooms Seeds."

The book was very interesting and I learned about plants I had not heard about before. My planting did not go as well, as I had left after getting starts going and I think the house was too cold. Some survived and that was exciting. I also supplemented with some heirlooms from the nursery. Orange tomatoes! How exciting and they taste less acidic. One difference I did note was the fullness of the plant was much smaller than the "new" tomato plants. Just means I need to plant a few extra. I love the color and how it looks in the garden."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  10:55:09 AM  Show Profile
Eleanor Batson (Ellie Bee, #839) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner and intermediate level Know Your Food badge.

"I have read all of the following books:
Nourishing Traditions, Animal Vegetable Miracle, Real Food: What to Eat and Why, Devil in the Milk (I highly recommend this one!), and In Defense of Food. This journey began for me 3 years ago when my youngest son was diagnosed with an extremely rare auto-immune disease and my sister with Ovarian Cancer. I have always been a conscious consumer/foodie, but those two health wake up calls galvanized my education about food as medicine. After going on a strict gluten and casein free diet with my child, I uncovered my own food sensitivities and intolerences. That required 6 months of journaling everything he and I each ate! We purchased a side of grass fed beef from a local farmer/rancher. I only buy my eggs from our local chicken guy (I bring back my egg cartons and collect them from friends for him too). You will not find hydrogenated oils, genetically altered or engineered foods here in my home. We mostly buy locally and seasonally, though I do utilize the local Fresh Market and Whole Foods at times.

It's been quite the journey. Gluten free and casein free are not the cure. Sprouted grains and goats milk are the way to go. I've learned how to make my own yogurt, sprouted grain breads and grow my own herbs and tomatoes! I've learned that here in Louisiana farmers are being prosecuted for selling raw milk! That cow shares have been outlawed! That our governments' incestuous relationship with the food industry giants is making the United States population incredibly unhealthy! I am taking part in a food revolution that I didn't even know existed until I saw with my own eyes the damage that can occur! As mothers and daughters, sisters and aunts we need to wake up and smell the coffee (or green tea!)!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  11:03:00 AM  Show Profile
Linda Douglas (lindadouglas, #2117) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"A while back I bought a small picnic basket at a yard sale (before that I was using an empty copy paper box). Lined it with recycled mint green satin and made a pin cushion on the lid. Filled it with all my sewing stuff and have enclosed a picture of it along with my button collection.

I think it looks like a real sewing box. :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  11:13:16 AM  Show Profile
Linda Douglas (lindadouglas, #2117) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have alot of buttons. Everytime I need to recycle a shirt (use it for scrap material) I cut off the buttons as well to use for another project. I have more buttons in my craft bag but these were the one I had in my sewing basket."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  11:26:24 AM  Show Profile
Chelsey Lewallen (#2097) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I made a pin cushion out of a green and white cotton / linen blend print, cotton batting, and finished it with two buttons on the top and bottom. I gathered the remaining materials from my collection and organized them into an old Harrods Tea box.

It looks great and is full of my grandmothers old buttons and small thread spools. I also added beeswax, a needle threader, a tape measurer, seam ripper, and marking pencils."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  11:33:09 AM  Show Profile
Denise Kleppe (dkleppe, #1600) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"•Watch the trailer of the movie at www.vanishingbees.com - completed on 8/17/10.
•Plant bee-friendly flowers in your garden. - planted 2 rose bushes 8/23/10.
•Read Sue Monk Kidd’s “Secret Life of Bees.” - completed reading the book on 9/21/10.

I want to become more involved in understanding how to save the bees.

I will be renting the movie Secret Life of Bees - I saw it before, but I would like to see it again after reading the book."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  11:41:01 AM  Show Profile
Christine Deal (Drafty, #2099) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I gave up plastic bags completely, even sewed my own version of produce bags.

Great! So much less waste!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  11:53:34 AM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson (Babynurse, #831) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I went through all of my major household cleaners and chose an eco-friendly alternative for each. I switched my laundry detergent to Arm & Hammer Baking Soda detergent; my dish soap to Ecover Ecological dishwashing liquid; my all-purpose cleaner to Clorox Green Works all-purpose cleaner; and my floor cleaner to Murphy's Oil floor cleaner.

Not only have I enjoyed the knowledge that all of my cleaning products are eco-friendly, I have felt a great sense of peace knowing that the items I clean our home with are safer than the others I used to clean with. I have 5 children, and for a busy working mom, peace of mind is priceless!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  12:11:40 PM  Show Profile
Deana Miller (dmiller2003, #1118) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I learned to cross stitch in junior high and in the past year learned to embroider. I have embroidered days of the week tea towels. I will be giving them as a housewarming gift along with a basket of homemade green cleaning products.

The tea towels are cute. They have a western cowgirl theme. I am getting better with the embroidery, but still have room to improve."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  12:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Deana Miller (dmiller2003, #1118) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"My pledge is to my family. I want the best for my kids and husband and have already made my home green for them. I encourage everyone to go green. Some think that I am nutty others are interested enough to try some of my suggestions. Recently a relative of my husbands moved into her first home. She has always been so sweet, she has hosted my bridal shower and both of my baby showers. She made my oldest son a quilt as a shower gift. So to return the favor I will be hosting a housewarming party for her. My basket (which is a wicker laundry basket) includes days of the week tea towels that I embroidered, baking soda, salt, bottle of vinegar, a book on uses for baking soda, a book on uses for vinegar, and a book on uses for salt. As well as a bar of Dr. Bronners lavender castile soap (LOVE THAT STUFF) and a recipe for the homemade laundry detergent that we make ourselves.

No waste in this project even the basket is reusable as a laundry basket. It turned out so cute. We have not had the party yet. But I think she will love it. I will take pictures and upload them to the site."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  12:27:03 PM  Show Profile
Deana Miller (dmiller2003, #1118) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Going Green badge.

"We finally did it. We made our own laundry detergent! My husband and I have talked about it for awhile and finally took the plunge. We are using vinegar for the fabric softner and a mixture I found on your website for the laundry detergent. Borax, castille soap, washing soda, hot water(I think that was all). I put it into half gallon mason jars. My 3 year old son and I made our own all purpose cleaner the other day as well. He loved it. And made my own dish washing soap. Also using vinegar for the rinse aide.

Love the laundry detergent. The half gallon mason jars look so cute in the laundry room. And we do so much laundry that we estimate we will save about $800-$1000 a year by making our own laundry detergent and fabric softner. We bought the more expensive brands before that were green and for sensitive skin, my son has excema. The all purpose cleaner is working great. And I love it that my kids can help me clean now and I don't have to worry about smelly and harmful chemicals. Thanks for all the great ideas in your magazine and on your website. I love my MaryJane magazines!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  12:45:19 PM  Show Profile
Sue Frelick (Sunshine_Sue, #2133) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner and intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I’m not sure I have earned the merit badge for Entrepreneurial Spirit because I already have a tiny studio in my home where I taught about 7 elementary school children how to sew last year. However, here are my experiences over the last week.

I had closed the studio doors at the beginning of August due to my being so overwhelmed by disorganization and not knowing in which direction, or how quickly, I wanted the business to grow.

I had written part of a business plan a couple of years ago, but got hung up on the money part, and left the document uncompleted. This is why I chose to start working on the Entrepreneurial Spirit merit badge. Deep down I knew I needed to finish the business plan to understand how to proceed with the business, and believe it or not, the thought of having my work recognised by someone other than family was just the incentive I needed.

To finish the business plan I had to change and add information to the first draft because my goals have changed. After making the necessary changes to the original document I spent several hours poring over the numbers and finding out costs etc.

After the money information was organised I started working on a timeline. Although most of the necessaries are already in place I want to make several improvements in the physical arrangements of the studio and book keeping in time to re-open in October.

Let me tell you, working out a projected business budget was a huge eye-opener for me. It has helped me realize that I need to seek ways to make better use of my money and time, and to get my paperwork better organized (I mean to actually have it organized with a proper place to put it ;-).

Working on the badge has given me a reality check too. I am not going to make independent living teaching children to sew if I stay in my little studio.

This means that now I have some serious thinking to do – how to proceed from here. As you can see, this exercise has created a paradigm shift for me. A wonderful one!

I am so grateful to MaryJane’s Farmgirl Sisterhood for providing the motivation to get my business ducks in a row and recommence classes on October 18, 2010. I would have been spinning my wheels for months had I not found the incentive I needed to move forward. Here is the link to my studio blog if you would like to see photos

http://southshoresewingstudio.blogspot.com/"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  1:16:47 PM  Show Profile
Linda Douglas (lindadouglas, #2117) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"This past summer I replaced all but two (a big boy and a better boy) of my tomato plants with heirloom tomatoes, and that was because my husband likes them better. I also planted my watermelons and sunflowers from last years seeds.

My tomatoes did wonderfully. I didn't care for the ones called mortgage lifters. they were light pink and mushy, but I think it was just the type(not that it was an heirloom). My sunflowers fell down and broke the second storm I had, but again that wasn't necessarily because they were last years seeds. My watermelons were great!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  1:25:37 PM  Show Profile
Linda Douglas (lindadouglas, #2117) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I only learned how to milk goats a few years ago. This past spring my two nanny goats both had twins. Gertie had a buckling and a doeling, and Lily had two stillborn bucklings. They both have been in milk since Mother's Day. I attempted to teach my six year old how to milk.

She was a little scared at first but eventually did get some into the mason jar. :) Still won't do it by herself and now it is time to freshen them again, so there is always next year. I have enclosed pictures of Gertie's babies just a few hours after they were born. How sweet!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  1:33:59 PM  Show Profile
Linda Douglas (lindadouglas, #2117) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I did go to the website but did not find much info that I wasn't already aware of. I will always have at least two chickens running around in my backyard for the reasons stated at the website. My chickens eggs are so much better than grocery store eggs and we have a locally owned butcher company that offers grass fed organic meat for sale...we usually buy several pounds every month or so. I also raised all organic free range turkeys this year at my best friends farm. Thanksgiving dinner is looking better and better all the time.

The only thing is I wish I could find is fresh free range poultry meat that wasn't full of antibiotics and steriods. I know, I know. I have it right outside my back door, but my six year old would be so mad at me if I ate her "baby." Lol!
The picture enclosed is my 2 year old holding one of our sweet little egg layers."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page