Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  1:30:32 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"This last March, my husband and I grew our first garden! When preparing the soil, we used only the compost pile that we had been building. We planted banana peppers, bell peppers, jalapenos, cantalope, cherry tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, crook neck squash, zucchini, chives, cucumbers, red sails lettuce, and romaine lettuce. We looked into organic based plant food and pest control made by a local garden guru, Dave Owens "The Garden Guy."
I also read "Montrose: Life in a Garden". I found it to be unique because it was like reading the journal about the garden. It was kind of hard to relate to since I live in the Phoenix area and to grow a garden like that is next to impossible. However, Montrose is like the dream garden. It sounded so beautiful! I can say I relate to having cats like hers! As I work in the garden and the yard, my two oldest and most social tabbies follow me around. They lay in the garden on the cool ground while I do my thing or will walk around an sniff whatever I am doing!

We thoroughly enjoy having a garden! Our only grumble this time around, is that most of the fruit and vegetables we saw were quickly burglarized by birds! Next time, we'll do something different to keep them from theft of our garden!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  1:41:40 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Backyard Farmer badge.

"When I was a little girl, my mom milked cows for the lady that we lived next door to. My mom taught me then how to milk cows. Then as I got older, we owned goats, and as much as I could, I helped milk the goats. I do not have cows or goats. I live in an area where I cannot. However, if we had the property and the animals...probably goats...I would definitely get milk that way instead!
Again because of where I live, I cannot have cows! However, my dad raises Texas Longhorns in Colorado. I support my dad in raising this heritage breed. Whenever I visit my parents, I do whatever I can to help my dad out with them. Last spring, he even let me name the newest member, Ebony!

Each school year, we have a theme that we care throughout and to our end of year program. I was thrilled when they told me our theme this year was the farm! Oh I can't wait to share! One of the things I will be doing with my class is taking them to a local farm! One of the activities I will teach them about and that they will participate in is milking a cow!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  1:54:08 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We recently discovered JH Grass Fed meat at a farmers market we started going to. It is a local ranch in Cave Creek, Arizona. They use old ranching methods; no corn, feed grains, animal or industrial feed by-products; no hormones. We have been purchasing their meat and are happy we have chosen to. We actually will be pre-ordering to stock up our freezer!
In my earlier years of teaching, I learned how to make butter using a whipping cream, marbles, and a plastic bag. I don't do this with my class every year however, this year we will be doing it since our theme is the farm!
Since we don't have animals we can take to the farm...not sure the cats would cooperate very well...I have been taking photographs of my dad's Texas Longhorns to make into greeting cards!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  2:03:17 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"While on the Farmgirls on the Loose: Laura Ingalls Wilder Tour 2010, I participated in the project giving at 3 locations.
1. In De Smet, SD my children and I scraped 100 years of wallpaper off the historic school house that Laura and her sister Carrie attended in the late 1800's! We spent 3-5 hours doing it.
2. In Walnut Grove, MN we painted a school house at the museum red! I was covered in a lot of red paint at the end of my 5 hours of painting!
3. In Pepin, WI we cleaned up a flower bed and planted new flowers in front of the museum there. We spent around 4 hours making it look beautiful!

Each site was fantastic! We had so much fun giving back to those 3 communities and I believe they were really happy with the results!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  2:37:30 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made half aprons for almost all the ladies in my family last year for Christmas. I had so much fun picking out the right fabric for each personality!

They turned out really cute and I can't wait to make some more! Everyone loved them!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  2:45:34 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I made a full apron for my mom from a pattern that was a little tricky with piping. There were moments where I felt frustrated, but I kept on!

The fabrics were so cute and the apron turned out beautifully! I tried it on and thought I might keep it for myself it was so cute! But I did give it to her for Christmas because that's who I was making it for and was thinking about while I sewed away...and she loved it!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  3:04:40 PM  Show Profile
Jeanne Mutziger (supernaynay, #1883) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I sewed a double-sided half apron, without using a pattern... I used some new fabric, along with some repurposed fabric from some curtains I made last year. I also added some lace to the bottom to make it a bit frilly! I have attached photos of each side below. I made this as a gift for one of my best girlfriends, as she has never had an apron before (which SHOCKED me!!!)

It turned out really well! I was worried at first that the ties were too short (I used myself for the model, and have a very narrow waist) but had a friend try it on who has the same waist size as the other friend I made the apron for, and... it fits!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  3:14:57 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia Christen (Line Shack Farmgirl, #1570) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I collected 8 bags that I have for my grocery shopping.
Because I don't live close to town I use insulated bags to keep things cool till I can get home with them.

I always carry my bags with me and some times they don't make it into the store with me.
So I am comitted to bring them in always. And not be lazy about it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  3:21:35 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Crochet badge.

"I learned how to make granny squares and now I am addicted! My friend was showing me how to do it with leftover yarn and it's so frugal and a great way to use up the odds and ends! I ended up making a granny square purse/satchel for a Christmas gift.

I think it turned out super cute, but I do know some things I will be doing differently next time! This was such a fun project!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  3:27:36 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have been saving buttons from all my clothes that come with spare buttons and so I haven't "bought" any to get my collection going. It looks tiny now, but when I counted them I had 115 buttons! I know I have more floating around here somewhere and will keep adding them to my new button jar!

I am so happy to finally have all those buttons in a pretty jar outside of their plastic wrappers! I always loved going through my mom's button collection that she made from estate sale finds and ones being passed down! Now I have my own! Yippee!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  3:34:33 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I belong to the online henhouse Farmgirls Southwest. I posted there about the environmental impact of using plastic and paper bags and asked if others were interested in trading reusable bags. Seven of us participated.

I love the bag I got from the swap and everyone else was happy with the bag that they received."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  3:39:59 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"I learned how to sharpen knives using oil and a sharpening stone. I also have a sharpening steel that I use after every use.

I rarely need to sharpen with the stone as I keep the knives sharp by using the steel with every use."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  3:45:07 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I started a compost pile this spring using a bin that was given to me by a friend. I borrowed the book "The Earth Moved" from the library.

I'm not totally happy with my compost bin as it's hard to turn the contents. I'm considering purchasing a new one that rotates.
I didn't realize there was so much to know about worms and found the book very interesting, especially the part about worms converting toxins into usable product."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  3:49:46 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I knit two hooded sweaters using the "Wonderful Wallaby" pattern.
I have a friend with whom I get together around once a month to knit and chat while our boys play games.

The sweaters turned out well and will be to keep at our house so my granddaughters have a jacket when they come over. Lots of times when they come the weather is warm and quickly changes to cool. Now they will have a jacket here if they want to go out and play."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  3:56:19 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"I made a lap size quilt and included some hand applique this time. I also experimented with some machine quilting around the borders. It took me around 25 hours to complete the quilt and part of the hand quilting time I did while visiting with friends.

Learning to quilt with the machine was a challenge but I think I will try more of it in the future. For now I prefer the old-fashioned method of hand quilting. For one thing it's more portable and I'm able to quilt while being with family and friends."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  4:03:12 PM  Show Profile
Jeanne Mutziger (supernaynay, #1883) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"My husband and I have had a garden composter for the past four years - it is great, and keeps critters our, and also eliminates any stinky bits... I also have read and own “Worms Eat My Garbage” by Mary Appelhof, I won it at an Earth Day celebration in our small town a couple of years ago, along with a giant cistern that we gave to our town nursery as a donation. :)

By continuously putting our plant-based kitchen waste in our little compost container, and by reading the book by Mary Appelhof."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  4:14:07 PM  Show Profile
Jeanne Mutziger (supernaynay, #1883) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I made a garden trellis out of old wood and jute to hold up my organic tomato, eggplant and asparagus plants... I also made a little tee pee from some bamboo sticks and jute.

So far, so good! I anchored to the metal railroad ties next to our irrigation for extra stability and think they will hold up even when the tomatoes get really heavy!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  4:29:18 PM  Show Profile
Jeanne Mutziger (supernaynay, #1883) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I made a very pretty scarf - I have known how to crochet since I was a child, but never actually ever finished any of my projects, other than some granny squares that just got really big... kept me busy over Christmas vacation while we had heavy rains one year. :)

I have also taught my sister how to crochet, which was a little challenging since I am left handed and she is right handed! But she also made a nice scarf!

Pretty good! I wear it, and every time I do I get at least one compliment...

My sister has surpassed me in crochet, and has moved on to knitting which she likes better... I can't figure all those needles out though."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  4:48:59 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Buttoned Up badge.

"The buttons you see in the picture came from an area around Ft. Craig. This was an active site during the Civil War. The Battle of Valverde took place here on Feb. 20, 21, 1862. Kit Carson was involved in that battle and the Confederates won. There were 389 casualties before the Confederate soldiers moved up north and fought the Battle of Glorieta Pass. These were the only two battles fought here in New Mexico during the time of the Civil War.

As you can see the buttons are covered in patina due to being in the ground for so long. I'm very proud of these buttons."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  11:19:20 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I tried to make bobbin lace but too befuddled with it. So I decided to try Punch Needle instead. It was a challenge to get the needle to make the exact design and not lose the thread in the meantime. I started with a little Christmas stocking (maybe I'll make some more for my handmade tree). It took me about two days to learn this new technique.

I spent more than 25 hours making this but I think it turned out quite cute."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  11:26:10 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Nellie Make-do badge.

"I made this cute little hat out of recycled grocery bags. I call it plags for plastic bags. It took me two days just to cut the bags and tie them together and then wind them into a ball. Then another two days to crochet the hat.

I think it turned out really cute."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  11:34:56 AM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I found a pattern and material that I really liked. The lace I chose looks like crochet, it's really pretty. This simple pattern took me about four hours to complete. I look forward to my next project.

I am extremely proud of how this turned out. I NEVER sew, so I take extra pride in my little apron, can't wait to put it to use."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  11:40:25 AM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"My husband sharpened a couple of knives to show me how. My first attempt I think I actually dulled it (oops), but I quickly got the hang of it and sharpened the rest myself I even sharpened my scissors.

I did it, I sharpened my own knives.. Yay me! I learned another usefull skill. I very proud of all the things I am learning and I am always looking for another project."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  11:45:27 AM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I always sew by hand, while making my first apron I learned to use the machine and it was eisier than I thought it would be. I had no idea what a french seam was, I had to look it up online. So I used left over fabric to practice on.

I really enjoyed sewing, I had no idea I would like it so much."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  12:00:56 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Grow Where You're Planted badge.

"I collected yellow wildflowers to make paper (from your DIY video), very fun and easy project. I used Mexican hat, Climbing Cucumber and Coneflowers. I’m going to use it as a wall hanging in my dining room. Some of my favorites are: Horsemint, Indian Paint Brush, Mexican Hats, Coneflowers and of coarse the Texas Bluebonnet. Some of the endangered flowers in this area are Ashey Dogwood (small yellow flowers), White Bladderpods (white delicate flowers )and Sand Verbena (purple flowers that have blooms in clusters). All three like sandy soil.

I learned a lot about wildflowers and making the paper was very fun. A project I will definitely do again."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page