Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  10:59:29 AM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I've been marking pages in my "home eco library," as well as helping a neighbor out with an odd cleaning problem with his tents. I made many new products and am actually having fun cleaning with them. (go figure!) The laundry is so much nicer!

I love it! The house smells so much nicer with clean products!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  11:08:37 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"Difference between raw honey and processed honey. I did some research just to corroborate what I already know. Processed honey is practically devoid of all nutritional and medicinal properties. Honey is the elixir of God! It is yummy, it is useful in providing vitamins, mineral and phytonutrients of all kinds. It has multiple medicinal properties; my husband uses it to help combat seasonal allergies.

Been eating raw, locally produced honey for well, forever!!! Always will!!!

I found "BEES: NATURE'S LITTLE WONDERS" most intriguing. I had no idea that there are 16,000+ species . . WOW!!

The descriptions of the different roles of workers, drones, foragers, queen bees, etc. was totally interesting. I loved the story of watching "Bee 107" and all of her activities. I found the descriptions of their communication system, how they keep the hive alive year round and the analysis of the "dancing" activities to be very well studied.

Thoroughly enjoyed the poems and excerpts from other writing that were interspersed through the book. When we get through passing it around the Henhouse my husband wants to read it.

We have ALWAYS had a local honey producer/vendor.

The photograph is of John and Earline Brock of Brock Bees we buy our honey from them and we are "fellow" Farmers Market vendors with them and good friends!!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  11:18:12 AM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I chose a baby sweater that was knit top down, so no seaming. The yarn was dyed by a friend who also designed the pattern. I loved knitting a small cute baby sweater! This one will be put away into the "someday gramma" box.
Friday night our yarn store had a knit night. I went from 4-9 and gave hand massages as well as knit with the ladies. I am making some good friends and loving it.

I am addicted! I have been heading to the goodwill a couple of times a week to look for yarn goodies, sweaters I can unravel and knit new life out of. (I carry knitting in my bag now.)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  11:27:22 AM  Show Profile
Sally Roeser (drag0nfly, #1668) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"In honor of MJ's father, I finally purchased household oil and took care of all the squeaks in the house. :)

My husband criticized my method of oiling doors, however, it was very effective and there are no more squeaks.. haha.."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  11:46:40 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I've been "green" for years, so I made a gift basket for a young lady I know that has a one year old. We've been talking about green cleaning and this gave her a bit more idea of what was available. I put it in a cloth bag so she also had a shopping bag.

It worked out great. She was running low on cleaners and we even have plans for her to come over next time I make laundry soap."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  11:52:38 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Know Your Food badge.

"I've been eating mostly organic for years. When I travel for work I find it a bit harder, but I try to get a room with a stove to cook my own. I read Omnivore's Dilemma and have introduced my niece and her family to organic by giving them a Christmas package two years in a row now of organic products. I have also introduced my boyfriend to more organic foods.

My niece and her family love the packages I bring, especially the home canned products and fruit roll-ups without all the sugar."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  10:54:45 AM  Show Profile
Vickie Hill (vintagevickie, #252) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"My niece Kayla slept with a cotton shirt of her dads for many years. It was finally in shreds and came to me and asked if there was anything I could do with it. I made a quilt out of the pieces that I could even including the pocket and a button. I purchased some additional fabric to use as other squares since there was not enough of the shirt to use. I found a coordinating fabric for the back and used cotton batting for the center.

Kayla loved it and she can keep her dad's shirt!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  10:59:44 AM  Show Profile
Vickie Hill (vintagevickie, #252) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected several reusable shopping bags from Kroger and Walmart and use them whenever I go. I also had made several from old feed sacks and use them.

I love using the reusable bags. Sometimes I don't take enough in and have to get some ucky plastic ones, but I always recycle them if I do."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  11:03:51 AM  Show Profile
Vickie Hill (vintagevickie, #252) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have been reading "green cleaning" books and magazines. It started with Mary Janes Farm. I have made my own laundry detergent and body soap. I went to John C Campbell Folk School and attended a soap making class. I now use only my soap and give to my family. I also have started selling my homemade soap.

My soap is great and I love making it. I have sensitive skin, so my soap is great for me. My friends love it too.
My laundry detergent works great too. I have started using green cleaners in my home as well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  11:09:24 AM  Show Profile
Vickie Hill (vintagevickie, #252) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"A friend at work asked me if I would make a quilt from her deceased mothers t-shirts. I brought them home, cut them out in 14X14 squares and found some coordinating fabric to go with them. I ironed some interfacing on the back of the t-shirts to keep them from stretching. I made strips and small squares to join all the t-shirt squares.

It was beautiful and I received a beautiful note from Melissa telling me how much she enjoys her quilt. It really does tell the story of her life with the things that she enjoyed being on her t-shirts."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  11:16:44 AM  Show Profile
Vickie Hill (vintagevickie, #252) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I love aprons, so I started making my own. Some for gifts and then started selling vintage looking aprons. I try to make them using vintage style patterns. I made these using a old clothespin style with a large pocket in the front and another with 2 triangle pockets, one on each side.

They are beautiful. I love the look of old vintage ones. I love my aprons and have had many good comments. They make wonderful gifts for my friends."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  11:23:08 AM  Show Profile
Vickie Hill (vintagevickie, #252) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I used a vintage pattern and made a pattern from it. I cut out the fabric and pieced it together. I have made several of them.

They are beautiful, at least I think so. I wear one every day."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  11:29:45 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Woodson (kangaroo kate, #1506) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I needed to make a gift for my mom for Christmas. My budget was tight so looked in my fabric scraps and went to work on a simple quilt for her, luckily I had enough to make it.

I was pleased with how it turned out, Mom liked it says it is really warm and cozy."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  11:37:52 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Woodson (kangaroo kate, #1506) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"I wanted to make something special for a friend of mine. She is also a kangaroo breeder. A time back she lost her most special roo. I designed a quilt in memory of Pee Wee.
I designed it around the poem "The Rainbow Bridge". This was one of those projects you sort of jump in with both feet and not sure what your going to get until your done. (smile) I do a lot of appliqué in my quilt designs. This one was a bit challenging but with patience I got it done.

I was actually quite pleased with how it turned out. I sent it to her as a surprise gift, she was sort of speechless when she called me to say "Thanks!" I knew it would hold a special meaning to her. I enjoyed the many hours I worked on it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  4:52:13 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Woodson (kangaroo kate, #1506) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I had a chance to get 12 baby chicks when I got a goat a week ago and so now I am raising my little ones. They are thriving nicely. I need to do my homework now, I don't have a clue what kind they are. There are at least three different kinds of chicks. I am also hoping that I end up with more hens than roosters.

I can't wait for my first eggs to show up! That has been one of my goals for this year get chickens and have fresh eggs.

I am holding my breath, though in the past I have had awful luck with chickens, prone to have raccoon problem around here. But now I have a
pretty solid cage I think will keep them safe. It is an old bird aviary.

I am anxious for them to grow also I need some natural fly control! The flies are awful this year for some reason."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  4:58:29 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Woodson (kangaroo kate, #1506) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have a sewing area fairly organized but I'm working on making it better so thought it is a good idea to have a basic sewing kit handy to grab. I found a plastic organizer container that works well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  09:50:33 AM  Show Profile
Cindy Blommer (CindyLou's, #1770) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I am so excited to go green with my shopping. I have been able to rescue two of my bags from a thrift store and the others I have had fun crocheting myself. I learned some new techniques and am now making up my own pattern for a bag. I have other bags, mostly from stores that I can also use. I have even gotten a comment from my husband to use these bags.
I plan on making some bags as Christmas presents this year."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  10:03:13 AM  Show Profile
Heather Richards (Heather Nicole, #1473) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"While my grandmother was in town visiting for a few days I decided it would be fun to sit down at the end of her trip and make a button bracelet for her, my mother, and myself. So off I went to pick up some jewelery supplies and a few pretty "extra" buttons. When I got back, I brought out my button collection and got to work on the kitchen table. It was a great evening project!

We all love our button bracelets! It was a great evening sitting there at the kitchen table visiting while we decided what colors we wanted and where to place our buttons. And the results speak for themselves! Fun, funky bracelets we will all enjoy! The photo is of my mother's bracelet and my own, we couldn't get my grandmother's off her arm for a picture! Isn't that great? She is so funny!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  10:18:26 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"As a kid my parents knew the benefits of providing raw & unprocessed honey for us. They purchased it from a neighbor who I always called the "beeman".

After I grew up, married and then moved back to Colorado and my hubby and I built a house on acreage my dad deeded us from the family farm.

Mr. "beeman" passed away, my dad bought all of the beekeeping equipment, hives and honey processing equipment. We then set the hives, tended them and got them going, built a 2-level "honey room" in a section of the farm's apple barn.

Eventually we were able to harvest honey. Learned how to tend hives, harvest the honey, use the extractor, etc. We were then able to sell some of it and share with the family, friends and neighbors.

After my dad passed away (my mom was already gone) we had to sell the equipment. However, my hubby and I do purchase our honey from our current "beeman" John. We also are involved in helping him with his honey, promote his business, obtain containers for his honey and enjoy the company of him, his wife and family as fellow local Farmers Market vendors.

Shared the story in the FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE Project Discussions "Sweet Stuff."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  10:25:19 AM  Show Profile
Jessica Oakes (joakes1111, #910) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I blogged daily for all the things I was thankful!

Sometimes it was easy to think of things. Other times I felt like I was leaving something out.

But overall I'm glad I did it, it made me think about all the great things I have to be thankful for!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  10:33:41 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Woodson (kangaroo kate, #1506) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have been collecting some fun buttons which are going in this jar. Somewhere I have a jar that has been used in our family since I was a little girl FULL of wonderful buttons. I hope to find it soon and put it on my craft shelf. When I was a little girl I used to empty the jar and play with all the pretty buttons. Some belonged to my great-grandma and my granny and my mom threw in a few over the years. Now I am starting my own jar."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  12:38:03 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the movie trailer that was required, dug up bee friendly flowers and spread them around to several areas of the yard, and read the "The Secret Life of Bees."

I ordered the book from our inter loan program at the library, but when it arrived it was a digital book. I took advantage of having it as a digital book and took it to my daughter's horse riding lesson, and listened while exercising. I even borrowed the movie and watched it as well. I did enjoy the book much better, but both were wonderful."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  12:47:31 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I decided that it was definitely time to clean up my storage containers. I actually did the whole kitchen! I ended up getting rid of over half of the storage containers that were in my kitchen!

There is A LOT less clutter! Ahhh! I think that it will be more manageable for the family to neatly put the dishes away!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  12:55:22 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"As previously stated in my beginner level for this category, I decided to clean the whole kitchen out! It was time...we also needed to deal with unwanted guests! I searched online for a checklist of items needed in a kitchen. I gutted the cupboards out and used the checklist to put back only what was needed for our kitchen. The extra storage containers I gave to our school cook. She likes to have them for serving food. The rest of the excess dishes we are donating to Goodwill!

I found that not only was the checklist helpful in weeding out unnecessary items but it also helped in placing our kitchen more appropriately. It was mapped out on the checklist to put cooking/baking dishes, etc. between/around sink and stove and appliances and dishes used everyday between sink and refrigerator. I like that the kitchen is organized in a manner that runs more fluidly."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  1:18:51 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"This started with my dad. He crafts knives and for some time, I would drag my knives to him, in Colorado, twice a year. Then one day, when he was visiting, he noticed how horribly unsharp my knives were. He didn't like it! He bought me a knife sharpening set and taught me how to get it done. He also said that twice a year wasn't enough! Oops!

Our whole family likes knives sharper...easier to cut stuff with! In the picture, the two knives to the left, my dad crafted for my daughter and I. The sharpening set is the one Dad gave me!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page