Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  4:38:42 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a intermediate level Build It Green badge.

"I have shared some website addresses with the "Farmgirls Southwest Henhouse" girls so that they can do some of their own looking around.

I have also had email contact with all of them, including my daughter, and have talked with some about some of the things I have learned and do.

It has been good to see my daughter take HUGE steps towards creating a healthier environment for herself and her family. She is a member of the Sisterhood and of our Henhouse chapter.

It has also been good to share ideas with some of the other gals in the Henhouse. Even though we are virtual we do a lot of email communication and checking the posts in the Henhouse Forum."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  4:46:04 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"Just made a delicious BakeOver using potatoes and ham. Of course it was eaten before I could get a picture of it. But I also made some White Chocolate Chip/Macadamia nut cookies and they are wonderful. They won't last long either.

I can't wait to try more BakeOver recipes."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  10:39:23 AM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I have decided to give this internet selling a try. I am an avid crafter and would love to be able to sell and share my future heirlooms.

So far it is on paper and I am trying to get items made ahead of time. The name of my business is Grammy's Heirlooms."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  10:56:44 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Organic on a Budget badge.

"I ordered the Budget Mix and made some terrific pancakes this morning. We are committed to buying organic fruits and vegetables at our local co-op. We are getting our beef from grass-fed beef distributors at our local farmer's market and we get free-range chicken and eggs also at the co-op.

We are totally sold on organic. My next project is cooking with the Whole Wheat Budget mix for the majority of our meals."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  11:19:28 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I finally figured out how to make my button bracelet using my Egyptian buttons. I crocheted it.

It turned out really cute and is a lot of fun to wear."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  11:27:24 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the trailer at Vanishingbees.com and read "Secret Life of Bees".
Around the yard, including the roof, I have been planting native flowering plants trying to find those that flower at different times to have flowers all season.

I was expecting a book about raising bees, but was pleasantly surprised with "Secret Life of Bees." I like how the author tied the history and life of bees along with Lilly's story.
The trailer said it all, our agricultural industry is ill and the bees are responding. We are not ready for the uncertainty."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  11:33:04 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I purchased my first two reusable bags in 1989 from the health food store where I shopped for groceries. Since then I’ve collected lots of bags from stores that were giving them away as part of a promotion. I keep several in the car for when I’m out shopping and I’ve given lots away to family and friends.

Besides lessening my negative impact on the environment cloth bags are also great for many other uses such as taking on picnics and carrying around library books. They hold a lot more than the plastic bags stores use so I don't have as many bags to carry in from the car.
I put today’s date as the date I finished but this is really ongoing. Using cloth bags is something I will always do."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  11:37:57 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"The first book I read about using nontoxic cleaners was “Home Safe Home” by Debra Dadd-Redalia. Since then I’ve read several other books and websites about eliminating toxins from the home and making my own cleaners. I still keep “Home Safe Home” as a reference and visit the author’s website for new information. I also found the thread on the MJF forum to be very helpful.

For products that I purchase I generally buy the Seventh Generation brand. They smell nice and work as well as any toxic cleaner I have used. The laundry detergent doesn’t seem to get our clothes as clean but I was able to remedy that by adding some baking soda to the wash."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  11:43:03 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Connecting Growers and Eaters badge.

"My husband and I volunteer to help a friend of ours every summer with his garden. He goes camping and fishing all summer long so we take care of his apple, apricot and pear trees along with his small garden. We are there at least once a week for at least an hour each time.

The benefit is that I get a lot of apples and apricots to can. Plus it helps him out knowing someone is watching his property for him. It's a win-win situation."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  11:48:29 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I have been keeping a journal for about 6 months now. It was very easy to convert it to a gratitude journal since I have so much to be grateful for.

I think I will keep it up since it makes you realize how lucky you really are."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  11:55:13 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"My food journal was a real eye opener. We already eat organic but need to incorporate more fruits and vegetables. We grow our own sprouts so that helps but I need to make more BakeOver's to get more veggies in our diet. We only use EVOO and real sugar and butter. Nothing artificial.
About the book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" - what a GREAT book. Everyone should read this book. It is about a family of four who eat only locally grown food for one year. They have a huge garden and record month-by-month what product comes up and how they use it. They raise chickens and turkeys and also give you great recipes at the end of each chapter.

I will be keeping up with my journal just to keep track of what we are eating."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  11:59:52 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"Just made my own version of ChillOver dessert. We have cherries that grow up in the mountains and we go up every year and buy some cherry cider. I made a cherry cider ChillOver with dried cherries cut up and chopped nuts.

It was delicious - needless to say it is all gone."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  12:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I learned to sew when I was in 4th grade and have had a sewing kit since way back then. I had one of those red store bought pin keepers that was shaped like a piece of fruit. I was never sure what it was supposed to be because it was round like a tomato or apple but had a little thing attached for sharpening needles that made it look like a strawberry. Anyhow I have never had a homemade pinkeeper so I decided to make one.

I enjoyed making my pinkeeper and made it in my favorite color; pink."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  12:12:32 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I've been sewing for many years and have many chances to sew both by hand and machine. When I started sewing I didn't have a fancy machine that finished edges. I'm not sure they even made them then. I learned how to sew all of the stitches illustrated in "MaryJane's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook": plain seam, pinked seam, edge-stitch seam, french seam, imitation french seam, and flat fell seam. For most purposes these days I'm happiest to use the edge stitching that my machine does although it's nice to know how to do the other seam finishings for specific projects.

I remember that at the time I learned some of these stitches it was a challenge but with use they came more easily."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  1:04:03 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1485) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"As I replaced all my cleaners with green choices I kept a journal with ideas and recipes for the ones I now use and some that I would like to try in the future. I particularly like adding a drop of scented oils to the all purpouse cleaner and laundry soap.
I have shared my ideas with the other woman in the neighborhood and some have acutally replaced some of their cleaning products with home made, green cleaners such as vinegar and water for glass instead of commercial cleaners! Its been fun to swap ideas and compare how much we are saving.

Has been really fun to see what new ideas my neighbors and I can come up with. Its become more of a mission statement, its sort of a fun competition we now have going. I also think the cleaners work better. Who knew baking soda would be my new best friend?"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  1:09:38 PM  Show Profile
Betsy Bollen (TexBetsy, #1444) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"My husband and I "unplugged" this past weekend. No television, cell phones, video games. It was marvelous!

Friday night we sat on the back deck until dark and watched our cows and horses. Some time in the pool on Saturday, then just relaxing and reading. Sunday we went to church, did a few outdoor chores, and to church again on Sunday night. What a peaceful weekend."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  1:18:07 PM  Show Profile
Betsy Bollen (TexBetsy, #1444) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have been sewing for many years so already have all the tools. So, I put together a sewing kit for my future daughter-in-law using the Mason jar idea from Mary Janes Stitching Room.

I think it's adorable and I know Meghan will love it too."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  1:23:18 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1485) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Going Green badge.

"Making Laundry soap was fun, and very easy, but boy oh boy do you end up with ALOT! There are only two of us, so I came up with a plan to share with a neighbor who agreed that next time she would make it and we would once again share a batch. I enjoyed making soap, but once again, there are only two of us, so truth be told, I think its actually more cost effective to purchase a bar as needed at the Whole Foods as needed. I will however use the extra as christmas gifts. I already use vinegar and water as my all purpose, floor cleaner and window cleaner, and I add a drop of essential oils to add a nice scent.

Sharing with others made this a fun badge to go for."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  1:41:36 PM  Show Profile
Betsy Bollen (TexBetsy, #1444) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I found this old peanut butter jar at a flea market years ago. It had a few old buttons at that time and I've been adding to it ever since.

There's just something about old buttons that I love! But, I had to laugh when I looked at this picture of my button jar. There's a snowflake button that isn't so old - I lost it from a sweater just this past winter. Now I know what I did with it. :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  1:48:35 PM  Show Profile
Betsy Bollen (TexBetsy, #1444) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"The day before payday and I had to use up what we had in the refrigerator and pantry. So I came up with a Bakeover using venison sausage, potatoes, onions, green onions, red peppers, and just a bit of salt and pepper. I used a Mary Janes Budget Mix topping, then put a bit of cheddar cheese on top when it came out of the oven.

I lost count of how many times my husband commented that dinner was so good! So, I think it was a success."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  1:54:10 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1485) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Going Green badge.

"Making our home a "green" zone has taken some work, but fun and well worth it. We recycle all most everything in one way or another. However, I like to re use instead of recycle when ever possible. I re use 99.9 percent of shipping materials. We even wash our plastic take out container so that we can fill them up and send them home full of goodies when we have company. I hang out our laundry most of the time. We have not painted, so using earth friendly paints is not an issue for us and we have all hard wood floors which is nice when it comes to keeping a home clean using earth friendly products. My sister was thrilled after her surgery when I went to her home with my green cleaners and cleaned her home from top to bottom. I was sure to leave one of the cleaner recipe print outs I have made up to share with others.

I have really enjoyed these tasks and feel better for it. I even think my hands look much better sense using my home made cleaning products."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  2:01:12 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1485) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I have a couple journals that I keep at once for diffent purposes. However, my favorite happens to be the one that has the least amount of space to write daily passages in. It's called the "One line a day journal." This is a five years perpetual journal. I began it last January and I write nothing but positive passages in it, along with the tid bits that I am grateful for."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  2:05:58 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1485) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I did a once over to make sure there were no lonely lids or containers hanging around. Although I must say if I should have lonely containers hanging out I save them for crafting if I do not re use them for something else. However, we are not big on using plastic, so most of our storage containers are glass bowls or jars."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  2:10:01 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1485) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"I have a fairly well stocked kitchen, considering my age and catering for years. However, I think there are things we all would love to have. For example, my stove is over twenty years old and I would love a refurbished antique stove... and oh ya, a new crock pot. With my love of cooking however, I would love to some day design the kitchen of my dreams complete with a walk in pantry like I had years ago.

Inspired me to draw the kitchen of my dreams on grid paper and tuck it away."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  2:13:40 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1485) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"I keep our better knives which I have collected one at a time on a magnetic knife bar next to the stove. We sharpen them as needed for peak performance. Its funny how you get used to using a sharp knife and it is so noticable when one begins to become dull.

A sharp knife is not only easier to use, but much safer."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page