Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 527

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2023 :  1:59:35 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (shennandoah, #8578) has received certificates of achievement in Stitching and Crafting for earning Beginner and Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badges!

"For my intermediate project I made a bunch of "fair isle" Christmas stocking ornaments with different designs to give as gifts at Christmas. I had to learn a couple of new techniques including:
Mattress stitch
Picking up the inside loop and then outside loop to start the sole of the foot after working each heel
Purl through the back loop (there was a LOT of cussing with the first couple of stockings with that stitch. Thank goodness for Very Pink Knits and her awesome tutorials).

Even though there was some cursing, they turned out sooooo cute and they were (mostly) fun to make. I love that I could do so many different designs and it was a stash busting project. My father-in-law who is the King of Christmas could not stop gushing over them when he saw my work in progress. Everyone wants one including my boss, so I may have to make more before Christmas! I set out to make 8 for family and close friends, but I am getting lots of requests. I know what I'll be doing those days when it gets dark early."

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2023 :  2:04:10 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching and Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

"I used to have an extensive button collection, but had to sell a bunch of stuff in one of my moves. So I had to rebuild my collection. I of course had all the buttons and thread that came with my new clothes, which I keep separate in case I need to repair a sweater. But when I started looking for opportunities for unique button finds, it was slow going at first. Then I hit the jackpot at a garage sale. This woman was selling huge bins of craft supplies for $5. So I was able to get a giant box of assorted buttons (along with ribbon, binding, all kinds of stuff). I found a few more at our local thrift store and some cute flowers at Hobby Lobby.

My favorites though are the little watering cans I found on Etsy and the Vintage buttons that I found at a local antique mall -- with the original packaging/cards! I love retro/vintage so they were a nice score.

My button collection is well on its way! There were some buttons in the $5 bin that were too traditional for me, so I donated them to the local church thrift shop. I have already had to dig through the buttons to find a replacement for something and found a pretty close substitute. So handy to have around!"

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2023 :  2:06:47 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching and Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

"Since I already knew how to cross stitch, I taught my middle daughter, Kimber how to cross stitch. I had been trying to find creative hobbies for her but she's just never been interested. I thought maybe cross stitch would be a good place to start. We went to Hobby Lobby and looked at the pre-stamped kits and found a Wine the Pooh project that was very simple -- good for a beginner. I guided her throughout the project, showing her how to read the pattern, how to start new rows, how to bind off her thread, etc.

Surprisingly she really got into it! It was the first craft project she was diligent about doing and enjoyed and has said she would like to do another one soon. I'm sharing a picture of her lost in concentration. She has no hobbies or healthy outlets so this is a HUGE deal. And she was so proud of her work!

I don't know that she's got the farm girl bug but at least its not her glued to a device or making bad decisions!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2023 :  2:59:17 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Action Merit Badge!

"For the Community Action badge I donated several days cleaning out a storage unit. In turn we donated the items to a community senior center. They were in need of doing a fundraiser to keep the doors open. With the items from the storage unit we were able to help facilitate two major fundraisers.

This turned out very well the seniors still have their center and the doors are still open."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2023 :  3:09:57 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Geography Merit Badge!

"Beginning in 6th grade, I learned about the four hemispheres, the seven continents and where they were located and the major oceans/seas. In high school many years ago, I was required to learn the countries that called each continent home and their capitals. When I studied geography in college in the mid 80’s, I learned about the cave dwellers who first carved out maps of their hunting grounds. I was fascinated with the history of cartography and how the science was used to map our world. I searched through my storage container to locate the two globes I possess from my 50’s childhood. Each one is different from the other and by comparing with a world map today, I see many changes. Some countries no longer exist, boundaries have moved or the names have been changed entirely. I already know geography very well and keep abreast of the Middle Eastern Arab countries seen in the world news. Now, I have a new area of the world to study. Because of a new hobby, I wanted to branch out to learn something new. I love vanilla beans and have purchased beans from many different countries and islands of the vanilla belt. I wanted to know where these countries are located and their proximity to one another, where the islands existed and the ocean each were in. I wanted to see the terrain and what makes each place grow a certain type of bean, and who governs each country or area. I created a notebook. Each vanilla bean has its own section with pictures and a map of the country/island because I wanted to visually see each region of the vanilla belt. My world continues to grow!

My notebook is a work in progress as I add historical notes, and a plethora of interesting information. It continues to grow as my knowledge grows in “obscure geographical facts.” My hope is to leave a trail for my granddaughter to follow, to learn from me and to always be curious and never stop learning!
Stay tune for my virtual travel in the Intermediate Level of this badge. I’m sure you know the region I will visit!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2023 :  3:26:28 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching and Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

"I know how to quilt a little bit. I made a small dog quilt for my son's dog. In each square I practiced different quilting designs with my new walking foot for my sewing machine.

This turned out great using the new walking foot. I will definitely practice more with it, but it made the material not bunch up as much."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2023 :  2:43:54 PM  Show Profile
Kellie Wade (kelliewade, #8487) has received certificates of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level and an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Badges!

"I have been using my own shopping bags for about 20 years. I have a sort of bag problem. I particularly love when visiting craft fairs, farmers markets or vendor booths that give away a bag for promotional purposes. I have been making my own laundry soap for about 10 years. I received the recipe at an outdoor market and have not turned back.

I have an excess of bags in my trunk. I have Bags for produce, bags for groceries, bags for big box stores, bags for clothing shopping and of course, wine bags.

Here is my laundry recipe: 1/2 bars Fel, 1 C Borax, 1 C Washing Soda, 1/2 C Oxygen Bleach. I buy these products in Bulk from an earth friendly company."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2023 :  2:46:57 PM  Show Profile
Kellie Wade (kelliewade, #8487) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Badge!

"In March of 2023 I built a chicken coop in my Lexington, KY backyard. I purchased two Pullets. I have been enjoying their company and eggs ever since.

I treat them daily from whatever I am currently growing in my backyard garden. They particularly love the figs, berries, and of course, compost worms."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2023 :  11:10:54 AM  Show Profile
Kellie Wade (#8487) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Badge!

"I have a very productive herb garden in my yard. I have mostly planted herbs that I use often in cooking, but I also grow herbs for medicinal purposes.

I usually grow enough garlic to make several braids to share and use throughout the year. I make my own garlic powder and garlic salt. The garlic is also used for medicinal purposes as an immune system builder and to help lower my cholesterol. I grow Basil every year. It is a neighborhood favorite. I make pesto which is very good on just about everything. I make small batches and freeze it so I can eat and share the summer goodness in the middle of winter. This yummy food is not just a treat for my taste buds it also is an anti-inflammatory and helps lower cholesterol. The 3rd herb I grow and use is peppermint. My grandkids love to pick and chew on the leaves. I use the leaves to make mint Julips when entertaining and a warm cup of tea in the winter as a decongestant. The 4th herb I grow and use is Bee Balm to attract pollinators and hummingbirds to my garden. The 5th herb I grow every year and use in my cooking is lavender. The seeds are used for sachets in my drawers. I keep dried leaves around for a calming bath and for cooking. Lavender is a natural anti-microbial, repels mosquitoes and has anti-inflammatory properties. I also grow sage, rosemary, cilantro (for my salsa) thyme and marjoram."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2023 :  11:40:34 AM  Show Profile
Kellie Wade (#8487) has received certificates of achievement in Garden Gate for earning Intermediate and Expert Levels Herbs Badges!

"I have maintained a 1176 foot garden in my back yard since 2001. Inside this garden is a 6x6 foot herb garden.

I grow 15 different herbs year-round and Garlic in the main garden beds, which I braid and share with my family and friends. I also make Sage smudges, Italian blend, and pesto to share. My garden has an open gate policy, so neighbors are able to come pick herbs when they need them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2023 :  12:00:46 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level 3 R's Rule Merit Badge!

"I earned this badge by making a female scarecrow. I used a empty jug from ice tea, some old clothes and some bamboo type sticks plus an old hat.

My scarecrow turned out kind of cute as I drew a face on the jug and made sure she didn't fly away in the wind."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2023 :  12:05:03 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

"I earned this badge by researching different types of wax for candles. I also learned different ways to scent and color candles.

This merit badge was fun as we (farmgirls) made candles together. I never knew there were so many types of wax."

See the photo below for Tina's research:

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2023 :  12:24:52 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Krug (patty, #8551) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

"Fiction: this is a series I get through the mail. Annies Attic, Creative Woman Mysteries,
1. Recipe for Deception by Rachael D. Phillips
2. What a Picture's Worth by Susan Paige Davis
3. Patchwork of Lies by Sharon Dunn

---Non-fiction:
1. Anything but Simple, My Life as a Mennonite by Lucinda J. Miller
2. Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
3. The Good Old Days by Harold Kringle

---Poems:
1. New Poems of Emily Dickinson by William H. Shurr, editor with Anna Dunlap and Emily Grey Shurr
2. Stag's Leap by Sharon Olds
3. Life on Mars by Tracey K. Smith.

The 3 fiction books were good. Non-fiction books were good but were hard to get into. Poems were good too but the one of Emily Dickinson was really hard to get into and also confusing to me the way it was written."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2023 :  7:41:04 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (shennahdoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

"The items I put on my kitchen needs list were:
  • Pressure canner
  • Improved spice storage
  • Food mill
  • Apple corer/peeler
  • Double oven
I already had a water bath canner. I planned on waiting till next year to upgrade the oven, but it decided to die on us last week. So ordered one and had it delivered yesterday.

For the spice storage, we first took out the icky trash compactor and replaced it with a new base cabinet from Home Depot. That allowed me to move the cutting boards and pans from the skinny cabinet. I then installed a rev slider pull out organizer to hold the spices. It doesn’t fit my husbands giant jars of BBQ rubs, but it handles all the other regular sized jars.

All of my unwanted items I donated to my sister who is going through a divorce.

I haven’t had a chance to use all the gadgets yet. However I will be test driving the pressure canner today so I can put up the last of the green beans from the garden. We’re expecting our first frost so think that’ll be it for fresh green beans till spring.

I have six apple trees that are too young to produce, but I’m keeping an eye out to see if organic apples go on sale so I can make apple pie filling. And of course excited to bake in a double oven!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2023 :  7:43:46 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (shennahdoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

"This is about my greenhouse project.

I started by building a base using old 4x4 posts that were left by the previous owners and filling it with roadbase. A neighbor kindly helped me move the base in place with his tractor.

I bought a greenhouse kit from Costco and assembled all by myself, which took a three day weekend to assemble. Next I took some more of the free upcycled deck wood I had left and built a potting bench, which I painted with the rest of the exterior paint I had left from the greenhouse project. I also had a short piece of gutter left over from installing gutters on the shed so I installed to use for growing micro greens.

It turned out great! We had a couple of 40 degree nights and the greenhouse stayed at 82 degrees. It’s housing my tropical patio plants overwinter and soon will have spring seedlings. It’s going to let me get a head start in spring (along with the hoop houses I built in the garden). The next thing to do is install gutters and rain barrels on the greenhouse!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2023 :  7:45:21 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (shennahdoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

"I ordered a coop and run kit from a small family business. I painted it with mineral fusion paint, then assembled it in the back garden area. I dug a trench about a foot down and two feet out and attached hardware cloth. I then placed some large rocks that I got for free from a neighbor around the edge and backfilled it.

I ordered 10 straight run buff Orpington chicks online. They arrived 9/29. I made a makeshift brooder out of an XL dog crate. One chicken arrived very stressed and quickly declined. I separated her and a friend and nursed her with a slurry for a week. Once she started eating on her own I waited another week then returned them back to the flock.

I put them in the coop full time Thanksgiving weekend. I’ve been feeding them organic fermented feed and grub treats, plus organic herbs and bugs from the garden.

I’ve never raised chickens or been around them before just cows and dogs. So it was a totally new experience for me. They are all healthy, happy, and sometimes a little ornery. I’m fairly certain I have a rooster in the mix. I named him kamikaze because he likes to stage dive on the others. The baby that was sick was named Midge and is doing very well! She’s definitely the runt of the bunch but she’s holding her own. I have one escape artist that was always figuring out how to get out of the brooder and tries to make a run for it every time I open the run.

We have too many predators for them to free range. So my next project is to build a couple of chicken tractors. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2023 :  3:13:06 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

"It is so beneficial to have bees in your garden. In my area we have bees most of the year. In my yard there are poppies, a native nectarine tree, sunflowers, wild iris, and a variety of local herbs. I have a shallow dish for water, a small lily pond and fish pond with attracts a lot of bees and birds.

Every year I save the sunflower, poppy and herb seed for next years planting. Can't wait for the spring weather to start sowing seeds again!

Being outside and gardening is my therapy..."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2023 :  3:54:54 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

"Raising and showing animals was a way of life for many years. We were involved in 4-H and the grange organization for 20+ years.
So knowing the benefits of pasture and hormone free meat was part of our education in raising livestock. We are lucky to have a local farm that sells at our farmers market. Our local farmers market has been around for almost 50 years.

Fresh farm eggs pasture raised are also a staple as well as a variety of organic produce and products. I also made butter from organic cream is so sweet and creamy, delicious on bread and vegetables.

Going organic as much as possible is always good."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2023 :  3:59:23 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

"Apples, apples, apples that was the theme of the meeting. We had a fun time playing guess the type of apple, the sweetest apple and the most tart.

Trivia and true and false games about apples were amusing and competitive.

For dessert apples with caramel sauce! Learned tart and firm apples are for baking and the soft and sweet are good for enjoying. The Sugar Bee apple contains 20 grams of sugar and the tart Granny Smith apple has just 11 grams!

Very interesting to learn about apples and about the 2500 varieties that are grown in the United States."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2024 :  10:57:32 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

"In 2022 I made all the crochet decorations for my Christmas tree and I made my gifts except for the fudge we do each year, so I had to wait an extra year to get the fudge gifts part done.
Each year we make 50 pounds of fudge from an old recipe that my grandmother's sister had from when she worked for Sees Candies in the 1920's
It takes several days to get that much fudge made. I mail some out of state to relatives. If I let friends and neighbors have samples, they ask for more each year which is how we have to do 50 lbs now. I was so happy to get the tree and gifts done.

It went well except for waiting a whole year to get my fudge gifts done."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2024 :  11:00:59 AM  Show Profile
Patricia Krug (patty, #8551) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

"The 5 herbs are: Basil, leaf and flower are edible and can be used in salads and sandwiches. Cilantro, also known as Coriander, all of the plant is edible and can be used in salads and salsa. Thyme is used as a seasoning, and you can substitute for salt and is a spicy taste to herbal tea blends. Tarragon is used for seasoning and is an ingredient for vinegars and salad dressings.

Sage is used for seasoning, but you can also use it in a bouquet because of its beautiful flower and silvery, green leaved branch. We use basil, thyme, and sage in a lot of our hot dishes in the dried version. Once I grow my basil and cilantro, I will be using them in a fresh salad with fresh basil and cilantro mixed in."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2024 :  11:02:26 AM  Show Profile
Patricia Krug (patty, #8551) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

"A lot of the relaxation is breathing, which I understand. I take deep breathes all the time when I feel stressed. One of the articles even said ask for a hug and if you don't have someone to hug in the moment put your hand over your heart and that has the same effect. If you have an animal in your life hug them and cuddle with them to also reduce stress and anxiety.

Breathing, hugging, cuddling with my cat, and I also read to relax are all good things to do. I just wish I had more time to do them. I'm looking forward to retirement in a few more years so I can do these more often."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2024 :  11:04:59 AM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (Tina Tina, #8551) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilling Merit Badge!

"I earned this merit badge by making different shaped quilling shapes. I made a holiday hat and a little card out of different shapes. I even made a quilling tool of my own to do the beginner badge requirement.

This badge was fun. I was a little intimated by it as I thought it was going to be complicated but found out that it's fun!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2024 :  11:06:37 AM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (Tina Tina, #8551) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilling Merit Badge!

"I earned this merit badge by doing a quilling project. This did take more than 3 hours.

This project was easier than I thought! It was fun and fulfilling because it looked so pretty. I wish I would have done this sooner."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2024 :  11:08:52 AM  Show Profile
Rachel (Naylor) Scott (raynaylor, #8515) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

"I collected reusable bags and started taking them with me to shop at the store.

It actually helped a lot as at one point during collecting I lived in an apartment and having the large bag made it easier to take it up the stairs."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 527 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page