Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 527

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2023 :  1:35:07 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

"I earned this badge by reading Secrets to Great Soil and composting classes weren't available in my area so I took an online class.

This book that I read on Soil was a fun book and very interesting. It also had experiments that you could do with Soil. I also talked to my garden friends at work about composting and let them know the correct ratio of brown and green to put in the compost pile. This was fun."

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2023 :  2:04:08 PM  Show Profile
Emily L Nellinger (citychick03, #8229) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

"I chose Greece as my country and using Google, researched the Greek government using the questions.

I really enjoyed learning about Greece!

Here's what I learned:

1. Greece has a Unitary Parliamentary Republic.

2. The President is head of state while the prime minister is head of government within a multi-party system. Legislative power is vested in both gov't and the Hellenic Parliament.

3. There are 3 branches of gov't:
  • Executive- the President is the head of state. The Prime Minister is the head of government.

• Vouli- 300 seat members of the legislature.

• Judicial- Supreme Court.
The doctrine of the Greek Gov't- it is directive not representative. Any adult male aged 20 and over can take part and it is their duty to do so. Officials are elected by being chosen in a lottery process called Sortition.

4. Greece has a capitalist economy and uses the Euro as currency.
Their international trade partners include Italy, Germany, China, and Russia."

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  4:25:02 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

"I once attended a writers’ forum to listen to my favorite Southern author, Pat Conroy. He advised his listeners to write down new words and phrases in a notebook and to use them often in everyday speech and in our writings. I have done just that for many years. Yes, I still stumble onto words I am not familiar with or don’t know at all. Word Trivia delivers a new word into my email every day. I often find the base word to figure out a word. I am in my senior years now, but it is fun to find a new word and to add it to my still-growing vocabulary.

I am an English major with a Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of South Carolina. I’ve worked in the education system for many years. I am also an unpublished writer, a former local newspaper journalist, researcher and avid reader. Words have been my life! Compositional semantics depends on using the most appropriate, grammatically correct words. Learning new words is essential to everything I do."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  4:51:03 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Nitkowski (Jennifernitkowski, #8521) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

"I deep cleaned the containers. The kitchen was a mess for a few days.

Who knew I was the only farm girl in my chapter to have too many bottoms and not as many lids?"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  4:52:21 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Nitkowski (Jennifernitkowski, #8521) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

"I made my list for the week before my trip to Amish country to stock up. It was a long long list.

I spent way more money than planned shopping, but I got everything on my list plus extras I didn’t know I needed. I since have not spent nearly as much at the higher end local stores for items. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  4:53:10 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Nitkowski (Jennifernitkowski, #8521) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

"With the help of a local chef I sharpened all my knives.

I was able to invest in a knife stone and plan to help others with sharpening knives also."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  5:06:13 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Nitkowski (Jennifernitkowski, #8521) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Self-sufficiency Merit Badge!

"This spring I planted herbs to make Italian seasoning. I over-planted parsley, but it all worked out. I dried them and will be gifting them at the holidays.

So far works great! I was able to adjust to my taste with more parsley and less rosemary."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  5:09:54 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Nitkowski (Jennifernitkowski, #8521) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Self-sufficiency Merit Badge!

"I had the farm girls over to make applesauce and pie filling. I also served home made pickles and pickled veggies with cheese for a snack.

The pie filling was great. I always love applesauce and who doesn’t love a pickle tray!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  5:10:35 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Nitkowski (Jennifernitkowski, #8521) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Self-sufficiency Merit Badge!

"With locally sourced ground beef we made jerky.

I don’t like jerky from ground beef. I tried another batch with thin lean beef and it was much better in texture for me. My husband and daughter preferred the ground version."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  5:26:24 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#8521) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Her-story Merit Badge!

"I read "The Fun of It" by Amelia Earhart (1932). Amelia Mary Earhart was born July 24, 1897 in Atchison, KS to Samuel Stanton "Edwin" and Amelia Otis Earhart. She had a younger sister Grace Muriel Earhart Morrissey who was a teacher.

Amelia was the first female aviator to fly solo across the Atlantic. She attended several schools and universities. She served as a nurse's aid during WWI in Toronto tending to wounded soldiers. Her childhood nickname was Meelie. She was the 16th woman to get her pilot's license in the US and one of the earliest and most fervent supporters of the Equal Rights Amendment that was first proposed to Congress in 1923. She set many aerial records and competed against both men and women. She married George P. Putnam on February 17, 1931.

Flying across the Pacific in 1937 she and her navigator Peter Noonan disappeared on July 2, 1937. Her plane has been found not too long ago on a reef which was part of tiny Nikumaroro Island in the mostly uninhabited Phoenix Islands. New DNA information MAY have discovered her remains.

5 other facts about Amelia Earhart: She worked at a settlement house as a social worker; Her father was a lawyer; She was a board member of the Transcontinental Air Transport; She was 5'8" tall; She took a course in automobile engine repair in 1918 in New York.

I have always been fascinated by Amelia Earhart - mostly because my mother was alive during the time that Amelia was famous and then disappeared. Mother even made a quilt with airplanes on it in her memory."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  5:31:23 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#8521) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Lost Art of Letter Writing Merit Badge!

"I read "100 Letters That Changed the World" and found it rather wanting. The title is very grandiose and the letters included do not live up to the promotion. It was VERY verbose and was more of a history book. I did enjoy the letter from young Joan of Arc to the English King letting him know she would prevail over him. And there were some WWII era letters that were pretty amazing.

I also read "When You Don't Know What to Say - Words of Caring for all Occasions" compiled by Doris Rikkers. This is filled with messages you can use, even verbatim, for any of a myriad of circumstances. Each message has supporting scripture. A new book for my reference library.

I sent letters of encouragement to 3 friends who are going through tough circumstances in Washington, California and Pennsylvania.

Of course I love to read. And I am always looking for ways to express my feelings to people in notes. I love to encourage people and let them know they are special."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  5:36:21 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#8521) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Her-Story Merit Badge!

" 2/10-3/19/23 Read "Annie Oakley" by Shannon Garst (1958).

Annie was born Phoebie Anne Moses August 13, 1860 in Darke County Ohio near Greenville. Her parents Suzanne and Jacob were Quakers. She was a natural marksman. She excelled at homemaking skills and needlework skills. I was fascinated to learn that she hand embroidered all her costumes. Annie was sent to a boarding school, but accidentally was farmed out to an abusive couple who beat her and enslaved her. She ran away home. At 14 she competed in a shot-for-shot competition with Frank Butler. Butler was then known as one of the best shots in America. And Annie won! They were taken with each other immediately and were married when Annie was only 15. Frank was 10 years older. They were married from 1876 to 1926 when they both died. She continued to hone her hunting and marksman skills. She was so accomplished she started adding flourishes and jumps and extra tricks to make her skills more challenging. She and Frank had their own traveling show. After 8 years of the Butler and Oakley show they joined the Sells Brothers Circus. That eventually led to Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. They traveled all over the world. Royalty loved her, including Queen Victoria! She even won a match with Grand Duke Michael of Russia (which ruined his opportunity to marry Princess Victoria, the daughter of the Prince of Wales!). Annie was always the top draw. She was only 5' tall, golden hair and the only woman sharpshooter. They decided to settle down in 1901. Enroute to their newly built home in Nutley NJ their train collided head on with another train. Recovery and another go at the circuit. She also taught shooting lessons to women and young girls at a shooting club in New York. While driving to Florida for the winter, the Butlers were involved in a serious automobile accident near Daytona. More injuries. They went to Greenville, Ohio to rest and there Annie was forced to take to her bed. She convinced Frank who was ill to go to Florida for the sunshine and rest. Annie died in Ohio in November 1926. Frank died 3 weeks later in Florida. They are buried in Brock Cemetery near Greenville. She was loved, respected and revered by everyone who knew her or ever saw her perform.

3/9-19/23 I read "Jackie Cochran - An Autobiography" by Jackie Cochran and Maryann Buckmum Brinley. Jackie was born about May 11, 1906 in Florida. She never knew exactly when or to whom. She was raised by a foster family who worked the Florida sawmills in the early 1900's. She died August 9,1980.

Jackie trained in several areas. She was a nurse in Canada during the war. She was a beautician. She had her own cosmetics business. She got her pilot's license in 1932.

She was totally responsible in getting the Women's Airforce Service Pilot (WASP) up and running during WWII - the program was cut before the end of the war. She was instrumental in getting the Air Force established as a separate entity from the US Army.

She was married to Floyd Odlum, a Wall Street whiz. He financed a lot of her racing ventures. He was one of those quiet entrepreneurs whose money seemed to be just about everywhere.

She built her own house in the Nevada desert. She once saved Lyndon Johnson's life when he was still a Senator (great story) and was a close friend of Dwight and Mamie Eisenhower (war years, White House years and beyond).

Jackie set out to break aviation records - no women's records per se, but any record.

She and Floyd were close friends of Chuck and Glennis Yeager. She was part of the test program with Chuck and other pilots following the war. There was just about nothing she wouldn't try in a plane. She holds many, many records and was a 15 time recipient of the Harmon Flying Trophy.

And she was a friend - though short-lived - of Amelia Earhart.

Remarkable woman. We actually farmed for a women who flew with her in those early years. Wow !

Loved reading about these heroic visionary women. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  5:40:49 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#8521) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

" My husband and I took 2 drives for this part. The first on January 28 was around Decatur IL. We came across 3 stables and admired the horses from the road.

The second on January 29 was around Arthur IL, an Amish community just 27 miles southeast of us. Here you will find draft horses and a multitude of Amish buggies pulled by Quarter horses. I identified the draft horses as an American breed of Belgians. They are palomino colored with long white main and tails. We often see them during the crop season cultivating, planting, more cultivating and harvesting. We have located one farm where we can stop along side the road to watch and admire these big horses. They just exude strength and self-assuredness. These are beautiful horses. Buggies are generally drawn by Quarter horses. They look so much like what you see in horse races. They are beautifully trained and very elegant at a full trot. There is one particular breeding farm that we love to drive to in the spring when all the foals are born and frolicking about the pastures. The Amish also use Shetland ponies to draw children's wagons. This is also good training for these children learning how to control a horse and buggy rig. I also identified standard bred horses, American saddle breeds and Percheron. In total we saw at least 289 horses that day.

My really exciting adventure was February 28 when we drove about 1 1/2 hours east to Healing Horse Stables. A friend's 11 year old daughter takes riding lessons there. We were able to walk about the stable and watch Braylee during her lesson. I met her horse Toby and her friend's horse Willow. I also got to meet and pet a donkey named Lisa. But the best part was meeting up close and personal a beautiful grey and charcoal speckled horse named Cash. We nosed each other and talked and became friends quickly. He is a gentle, very companionable and soft horse. While there we talked with the owner/instructor about horseshoes - about 2/3 of her horses are barefoot. And we observed the 2 young girls grooming their horses, mucking out their stalls and watched their lesson.

It was fun to really pay attention to how many different horse breeds the Amish use. But I especially enjoyed going to the stable to meet the horses in person."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2023 :  3:00:38 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Fishing Merit Badge!

"I recently applied and received a SC Senior Lifetime Hunting and Fishing License for $9.00. The license covers the following privileges:
  • Hunting
  • Big Game Permit
  • Wildlife Management Area Permit
  • State Waterfowl Permit
  • Freshwater Fishing
  • Saltwater Fishing
  • Freshwater Set hook Permit
Autumn is the perfect time to fish. The weather is sunny and still warm enough to enjoy the outdoors. I took a friend fishing at a state park in a neighboring county. We each caught several crappie fish and took them back to a picnic campsite. We scaled the fish, gutted them into a plastic bag, rinsed them and wrapped them in aluminum foil to cook on a fire pit grill. We also heated dinner rolls. Delicious! There is nothing like eating freshly caught fish by a fire on a cool night under a Carolina moon!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2023 :  3:11:57 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) Merit Badge!

"Gardening season was in full swing in May and so were the birds and cats! To keep the walking and flying critters out of the garden area, I need a scarecrow. I immediately thought of Tin Annie, a 25-year-old three-foot metal stick-figure with bendable arms and metal hands, wearing a jiggling metal dress, and a rusting yellow metal hat. I first stuffed her dress with pine straw to cover the opening and neck area and cinched a homemade handkerchief around the top of the pine needles. Pine straw is always plentiful where I live. Old colorful socks covered her hands along with a bracelet of bells added to her raised left hand. I then tore an old, worn bedsheet into lengths to make flowing ribbon to attach to her metal hat and cover her metal dress. I added marigolds to the pot she carries. What a beautiful sight she was each place I moved her in the garden. She did a great job as a scarecrow!

Tin Annie has taken on a whole new persona now that the garden has ended. I’m just sorry I neglected to use her for so many years. I decided weeks ago she would be sanded, repainted and repurposed again for use each season of the year. When she is dry, I will decorate her for Halloween, all decked out in black, using an old spray-painted black baseball cap with a flowing veil, a stuffed feathered crow perched on her raised hand, and a old plastic doll head in her bucket. I foresee many years of creative play with Tin Annie, always committing her to the three R’s -- reuse, recycle, and revive. Oh, what fun I will have!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2023 :  3:18:33 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

"I see many more people in my hometown are driving motorized scooters and wheelchairs. Most streets are safely accessible by way of sidewalks, except one long stretch where the new, fancy streetlights were installed in the middle of the sidewalk. Who does that? Along this double lane street, a narrow lane is designated for bike use but not considered safe for wheelchairs due to heavy traffic. Many of us locals have voiced concerns, written letters, and created posts on the town’s Word of Mouth Facebook page. No changes have been made as of this writing.

As a senior citizen I am aware of the changes needed to make in my home if I am injured. A few pieces of furniture would have to be moved and a wheelchair ramp built on the back of my house. Slight changes to the built-in shower entrance/doors would have to completed. When I downsized, I made sure doorways were wide and all areas of my home accessible in case of health changes.

How does what I’ve learned affect how I react to people who might need assistance? Most of my adult life has been spent working in the education field, mainly with special education students and their parents. That alone has made me acutely aware of the needs of handicapped individuals and my willingness to always help others. I am more aware at my age now to see where the elderly can prevent accidents and encourage them to make changes. I also know my strengths and weaknesses so I don’t endanger myself while trying to help someone else. I am still an active but aging woman in relatively good health, willing to help others within reason, and not afraid to ask for help for myself or for others around me."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2023 :  3:24:42 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

"I bought myself a new sewing machine a few weeks ago and am having fun getting to know how to use it. I already knew how to sew a straight seam by hand and on my Momma’s treadle machine since 4-H days; I use to make my doll clothes back then. I had never heard of a French seam or a flat seam before conquering this badge. I googled a video on both different seams and found them easy to do on my own. The French seam created a nice non-fraying seam on the sheer top I was taking up. The flat seam I discovered is used on jeans to create the double thread look on the outside edge. Raw edges are completely hidden with this seam. This is a little more difficult for me than the French seam. It will get easier with practice.

I am enjoying the new sewing machine and learning new stitches I’ve never tried before now. I am a lifelong learner who enjoys creating and the challenges it presents. My goal is to sew the numerous cut squares together that my mother started 60+ years ago and eventually complete the quilt in her memory."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2023 :  3:51:00 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

"I bought a shed to be my new potting shed/she shed. First I painted the walls and floor. Then I built a potting bench with free wood that came from someone’s old deck. In between the studs I reused boards from the bunk bed I made for my kids years ago. They outgrew it but now it works well as storage shelves! I drilled cup hooks into some in order to hang tools.

I love it! I can find my garden supplies so much easier and it’s so stinking cute. I also made a little sitting nook for taking breaks using an old chair that a neighbor put out as free. It’s so lovely to sit and work in."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2023 :  3:53:44 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Birds Merit Badge!

"I picked up a tea cup bird feeder at an antique store and loved it so much I decided to make my own. I used old chair legs and scrap wood to make a base for them and painted them with mineral fusion paint. I picked up tea cups and saucers from thrift stores and used exterior adhesive. I placed them throughout the garden and filled them with wild bird seed.

The larger birds (like cardinals) seemed to prefer the hanging feeders. But the wrens, chickadees, titmouse, and finches like the little feeders. That seems to have helped to reduce fighting over the hanging feeders. They feed most in the morning. Im actually having a hard time keeping them stocked they’re are so many birds enjoying all my feeders (and the beauty berry and wildflower seeds across the property).A couple have fallen over in the wind so I’m working on securing them better."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2023 :  3:57:23 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Easy! Merit Badge!

"I reorganized my tool shed. I had it organized last year but with the crazy hot summer, we got lax on keeping up with it. I have ADHD so it’s an ongoing battle to keep things organized.

I needed to make two raised beds for the garden so I did that for my planter. I made the frames out of wood and lined them with scrap tin left by the previous owners.

The beds turned out great! I’m doing Hugelkultur and filling them with fallen limbs from around the property. I’ll be planting bare root strawberries in them this weekend!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2023 :  1:31:10 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“The five herbs I selected and their uses are:

1. Feverfew - many people know it as a filler flower in bouquets, but it is also an ancient remedy for migraines. It has been shown to reduce the frequency and severity of migraines. I take it in pill form and would like to grow it.

2. Rosemary - one of my favorite culinary herbs, I also love the essential oil. It is an aromatherapy for headaches, but it also can help strengthen hair and combat thinking/hair loss. My mother in law and sister in law both used it with great results.

3. Rosella hibiscus - this tropical member of the mallow family is what is used to make hibiscus tea. The tea is made from the calyx after the flower petals fall. Hibiscus is used to promote healthy circulation, to cool the body in summer, and also as a migraine remedy.

4. Fennel - it has long been used as a digestive aid and is often added to meat dishes to improve digestion of animal protein.

5. Spearmint - has many uses, including as stress relief and a digestive aid. Mint is also used for pest control, and is beneficial to many animals like chickens.

I have used all five herbs both for cooking/tea as well as medicinally. I grow rosella hibiscus, rosemary, and spearmint in my garden. I tried to grow feverfew but it struggled in our intense Texas heat this summer. I’m going to try again but in a shady location and see if that helps.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2023 :  1:34:44 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

"I actually apprenticed as a car mechanic in high school and my father made me do my own car repairs, including changing breaks, oil, tires, etc. I maintain all of our cars and regularly check the fluids and manage the air pressure. We have a small air compressor that I use.

I work from home and the past few years hadn’t traveled much so had gotten out of the habit of tracking mileage. However this month I did have to drive to many events, so I tracked my mileage this month for work reimbursement. Obviously I used more fuel than normal, but luckily the price of gas went down almost fifty cents a gallon.

Because of the temperature change our tires needed airing up. Our fluids were good, though my car was due for an oil change (more on that for the next badge!)."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2023 :  1:42:32 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

"For this badge I took some more of the scrap/upcycled wood I got for free from Facebook and built an apron for the potting shed and a deck. The apron keeps critters from making homes under the shed (especially copperheads eek!).I had to level the area by hand, which took one day, then I built the frame and attached the base boards on another day. Day three I painted it a nice bold turquoise.

It turned out great! Nice and solid and a great platform for adding cute pots. I am on the hunt for a little chair and side table to put on there now."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2023 :  1:46:34 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

"Five root vegetables that can grow in my area include but aren't limited to:

1. short day onions (I'm in the south)
2. carrots - primarily Nantes and danvers varieties
3. sweet potatoes (plant in May, harvest in November)
4. Soft neck garlic
5. Peanuts - the town just south of us has a peanut festival every year and there are lots of peanut farms. Most people don't know that peanuts are a root vegetable (legume).

I went to the grocery store and saw about a 12 groups of root vegetables, each with multiple varieties. For example onions are a group and there were white onions, sweet onions, red onions, Visalia onions, etc. A few came from Texas, like the sweet onions and one type of sweet potato. Many of the others, however, came from Mexico, California, etc. We also don't have much of a selection of organic veggies.

I love root vegetables and growing them -- though I have more success with some than others. I grow carrots in spring, winter, and fall. they store really well and are so versatile! I also started my sweet potato crops three years ago from a sweet potato that ended up shoved behind the microwave. I discovered it covered in slips when I deep cleaned the counters. Stuck it in water and ended up with enough sweet potatoes for the year (after I transplanted them to soil). I just keep making new slips each season of the same ones. Gave some of my excess sweet potato harvest to my neighbor last year who had never tried them and now she is a fan! I'll be harvesting this year's batch Thanksgiving week and have some carrots growing finally (the heat pushed back my planting times this year)."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2023 :  1:52:38 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Water Management Merit Badge!

"Native plants provide a number of benefits, including the following:
1. They are adapted to our local conditions, so they can withstand the extreme heat, drought, and freezes we get here in South Texas.
2. Native animals/insects and plants evolve together. Native plants provide the best habitat and food sources for native wildlife.
3. Natives tend to have deeper root systems, which helps improve drainage as well as to better anchor the plants.

Three south Texas native plants to add for water management are:
1. American beauty berry - favorite food source for birds and deer. It puts down a deep tap root which helps it anchor in our sandy soil. It can stand extreme temperatures and is very drought tolerant.
2. Texas Lanatana- a favorite of pollinators, its very hardy and drought tolerant
3. Texas Sage/Cenizo - another great all weather plan that is extremely drought tolerant

Our soil is pure sand. We bought the property 3 years ago. It was pretty barren and had no organic matter in the soil. Sand drains well -- too well unfortunately. We got 7 inches of rain on Thursday and had ZERO puddles. Sand is also prone to erosion and makes it difficult for plants to anchor. Water and nutrient retention is very poor. It also gets everywhere!

The best times to water to avoid evaporation is early morning, usually before 10am, and evenings after 7/8 pm. It's also important to water at the soil surface instead of by using elevated sprinklers. I use a rain wand for hand watering the vegetable garden and have a round sprinkler attachment that I use like a bubbler for watering in beds when needed.

Deep watering is generally a very good technique to promote heartier plants and to get water down past the soil surface, where it can easily evaporate. With sand though, it drains far behind root surface very quickly, because the deep watering can push the water too far down too quickly. However, in the beds where I have been using a lasagna mulch approach and adding organic matter, I am able to use the deep watering method and it stays where its needed.

The three natives I mentioned above I planted in my garden when we first moved in. All three have survived freezing temperatures, record heat waves (110 degrees!) and months of drought WITHOUT supplemental watering. I have been using a number of techniques (which I will share with my Intermediate submission) that have SIGNIFICANTLY improved the water retention in my pollinator/ornamental and edible beds. I was able to go several weeks without watering the ornamentals in the middle of the drought."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 527 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page