Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  2:45:59 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“My son lives in Morocco, so I researched traditional Moroccan food in cookbooks, on the internet, and even took some cooking classes in Morocco. I purchased all the ingredients for rabbit tagine with apricots and chickpeas over couscous. It was fantastic! Definitely a keeper!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  2:47:01 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“I made the Moroccan Rabbit Tagine with apricots and chickpeas over couscous. Couscous is traditionally served on a Friday, but is also acceptable on other days. I shared pictures and comments on social media, and talked with my son about unusual foods (we have tried a bunch together--sea urchin, alligator, octopus, head cheese). It's an excellent recipe and turned out super yummy!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  3:20:03 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“I helped a farmgirl sister who was sick with cancer. I helped her on the phone, cooked meals and took them to her family while she was out of town getting medical help, and gave her information on herbs, etc. when she asked. My efforts were thanked and I believe very helpful during a difficult time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  3:21:25 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I dreamed up our new farm, 1850 Farm, and we made it a reality. Our house was built in 1850, hence the name. While maintaining and updating a property this old is challenging, we are loving our piece of Heaven.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  3:22:18 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I researched the legal aspects of our farm business, including getting a tax exempt ID number. I had business cards printed, showcasing our farm and what we provide.

The hoops to jump through for the tax exempt ID were a little challenging, but very much worth it. I LOVE our business cards, although the dark printing is a bit hard to read against the greenery. I may switch to white text next time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  3:22:56 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“We launched our new business, which includes breeding and selling goats, sheep, pigs, rabbits, poultry, dogs, canned goods, soap, and body products. We could make this business bigger if we had more man (woman) power.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  3:24:07 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“I unplugged for more than a weekend, thanks to Hurricane Gustav. No electricity. We had stocked up food and I kept busy with handcrafts and busyness like polishing silver. We were spared devastation and had planned for an unplugged series of days. So it was fine. It provided us time as a family and to unwind.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  3:24:43 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“I went with several girlfriends to Henry Horton, a rustic camping gathering spot. We did not use cell phones or any electronics, We took walks, talked, and studied the Bible. It was a nice weekend--mostly the walking in the woods.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  12:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I grow a lot of vegetables, including root vegetables such as carrots, radishes, turnips, beets and onions. Even more root vegetables are for sale at the local grocery store, including parsnips, rutabagas, garlic, ginger, daikon and jicama. Root vegetables are easy to grow in deep, sandy/loamy soil.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  12:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I grew carrots and onions in my raised bed garden. I cooked the carrots in butter and honey, the onions went in many, many dishes. Wild garlic, ginger, and onions all grow wild natively. I find carrots easy to grow, I don't have as much luck with onions.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  12:19:33 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I grew turnips, beets and radishes. I found the best way to store was simply in the refrigerator. I also pickled beets. I also cooked the greens (turnip and beet) and froze for later use. All are easy to grow--especially radishes, which germinate very quickly and early in the season. I love to pickle veggies and I use my freezer a lot.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  12:20:45 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make It Pretty Merit Badge!

“I did some drawings with pencil. I don't like drawing with colored pencils, although I do like coloring with them. Pretty well--I like to draw.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  12:21:33 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Make It Pretty Merit Badge!

“I painted in acrylics, 11 paintings and have most of them displayed in my house, the rest of them in my husband's office and my son's apartment. I went to the Museum of Modern Art in New York. They turned out great. Acrylic is a great medium to use. MOMA is a fabulous museum and the self-guided tours are very interesting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  12:22:32 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman-at-Arms Merit Badge!

“I looked up gun safety rules and hunting regulations in my state. I took a Hunter's Safety Class (shotgun). I think it should be required for all.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  12:23:29 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Woman-at-Arms Merit Badge!

“I spent a full weekend at Primland in NC, shooting skeet on their course. I tried a couple different shotguns.

I had a fabulous weekend, making great friends and honing my skills. 3 of the women I met at that event are forming a foursome with me to attend and compete in another shooting weekend in March, 2019.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  12:44:03 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“I grew up with pets--cats, dogs, rats, mice, hamsters, gerbils, snakes, a ferret, birds. I've continued to have pets and currently have both pets and livestock--cats, dogs, birds, pigs, horses, a cow, sheep and goats. My favorite pet ever was probably my dog, Muffin, with whom I grew up. Pets are just an integral part of my life. I could never live without them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  12:44:55 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“I've helped out our farmer friends across the road by taking care of their chickens, cat, and dog. I don't really have a favorite--cats are easier, but dogs are wonderful. Pets are wonderful for lowering (and sometimes raising) blood pressure. It's nice to have something to care for and something that is so excited to see you at all times. Overall, my pets are high maintenance because there are so many of them! I wouldn't have it any other way.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  12:45:43 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Wild Game Merit Badge!

“I researched our state's wild game, the laws pertaining to hunting and processing the game, and the hunting dates. This was easy--our state (Tennessee) has a good website.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  12:46:38 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Wild Game Merit Badge!

“I completed a Hunter Safety Program. I went hunting--birds, squirrels, deer. I made venison jerky and rabbit jerky (teriyaki). This was great. The scope on the rifle really helped and I dropped my first buck with one shot. Making jerky was fun but I have to research how to keep it from going rancid.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  12:47:19 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Wild Game Merit Badge!

“I went hunting and learned how to field dress (as much as possible), transport back to the base and finish dressing out my deer. I learned about the different cuts, and took part dressing, smoking and curing meats in a safe, clean, and cool temp. facility.

I LOVED wild game hunting but it also touched my heart when that big, beautiful buck dropped to the ground.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  1:48:22 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“I collect milk bottles, milk signs and advertisements, churns, creamers, milk cans, a portable milker, stool, small scale milk truck, cow figurines, milk glass, milk pitchers, and most anything dealing with farm life. As I worked through the Intermediate Level of this badge, I culled out what I could part with in order to downsize, and began truly organizing what I wanted to display.

My favorite additions have been two display shelves, 8ft long repurposed boards from the torn-down old school house beside my house. My Carnation collection (milk bottles both clear and amber, framed advertisement from the ‘40’s, toy milk trucks and a shadow box frame that holds coupons from evaporated milk cans from the early '50's) is on one 8ft. hanging shelf in my study. The other 8 ft. shelf resides in my kitchen. It holds an eclectic display of all things farm related i.e. creamers, egg basket, farm figurines, advertisement, my mother's old sifter, grater, and hand beater. I enjoy seeing my displays, filled with my favorite pieces!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  1:49:48 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Scrapbooking Merit Badge!

“I must confess, I've been a scrapbooker since I first watched my Grandmother Miley work on her own scrapbook at least sixty years ago. I own her scrapbook with its black sheets and crumbling glued photos of yesteryear! I've also been a consultant for Creative Memories, so scrapbooking is not a new adventure for me. I've always wanted to create a scrapbook for my brother. For years, I've collected childhood pictures, old school memorabilia, his first engagement announcement and wedding pictures, pictures of his two sons and daughter, anything and everything signifying his life. I decided on Christmas afternoon when I was celebrating the day with Ray and his family, I would start the scrapbook when I arrived home that very night! And so I did.

I've worked every night on my brother's scrapbook. Just when I think my brother’s scrapbook is complete, I think of something else that can enhance the experience for him! His life, in photos and clippings, handwritten notes, and all sorts of memorabilia create a 25 page scrapbook that will be gifted to him on May 9, 2019--his 70th birthday. Until then, I will probably continue to add pages. Isn’t the find what creates the joy in the journey?! I will share a very special and favorite page when I complete the intermediate level.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  1:51:16 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“I visited the site adata.org today. As a compliance monitor for twenty seven years with the Department of Special Education Services, I dealt with students with all kinds of disabilities. Over the years, the wording became less offensive as students were included in regular classrooms and activities. I saw the change on the IEPs in recent years that adhered more to the adata.org terminology. I'm retired from that job now, but am still conscientious of how I address anyone with a disability.

My greatest challenge has been with a neighbor living with bipolar disorder and is unable to take medication. Her behavior is often erratic. I know she has an active support group of family and a few friends. I send homemade goodies with short notes and prayers for her and am sometimes included in their family functions.

My nephew was in a car crash in October on his job and lives with the resulting temporary injuries daily. Furniture had to be moved to make way for a wheelchair and walker. He sat and slept in a special recliner. A portable potty chair stood close by so he could maneuver to it. After several surgeries, his dominant hand is healing and stable enough for a soft cast. He can put on a work boot and walk outside with the aid of a walker. His plan of action this year is to tear out the bathtub and put in a level floor shower with handrails. Something to think about for us aging individuals!

Because of the job I had for twenty-seven years, I am well aware of challenges of daily living for people with disabilities. Since my nephews accident, I'm even more aware of my own surroundings (clutter, too much furniture, easy access to all essential rooms including bathroom and shower, and the changes I need to make, just in case.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  1:52:28 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“I live in the house I grew in, remodeled in 1964, with barely any insulation. Since then, insulation has been added to the attic except for directly over my large bedroom. Imagine my surprise when I discovered this just recently! Did they run out of insulation? Who knows! The insulation in the attic has settled; I don’t know the R-value now but it should have an R-value of 38.

I replaced all 22 windows in the house about 10 years ago. After much research, I installed the best windows for this region at the time. They are all triple pane with a built in tint and shatterproof! It gets hot in the summer here in SC! I have zero air leakage around the windows.

The three outside doors have been replaced with ones of superior construction. The floor isn't insulated but a new sub-flooring was placed over the original flooring when it was remodeled. The additional rooms that were added to the house have thick sub-flooring with oak flooring on top. The outside walls of the newer rooms are insulated, don’t know about the older rooms. The entire house was bricked in.

I originally replaced the electric baseboard heat with a unit that should have operated with circulating water but it never worked properly and ran my pump bill up tenfold. I replaced that unit with a heat pump, the best on the market 10 years ago and serviced annually. When I contacted my local power company I was told the only credits or rebates available now are for solar and hot water heater. I'm already enrolled in the hot water program where my unit automatically shuts off during peak periods.

I've requested an energy audit from my power company and was put on a list. I've read the 101 tips on Coastal Electric Cooperatives’ website. In the meantime, I'll purchase the insulation and have it installed over my bedroom. I'll also work on the Intermediate Level of this badge and test for tightness. I already know some areas that leak! After the audit is complete, I'll also discuss solar with my power company. First things first, get the house insulated properly for my region! Caulk where needed!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  4:21:50 PM  Show Profile
Ruth Kutemeier (Ruthie218, #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I set up a tote bag swap at work for part of our Christmas party. I'm also going to trade a tote bag with a farm sister, which has a mail out date in February. The swap at work turned out well. I work at the local head start so we teachers always need a new bag to carry all our junk.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page