Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  10:22:19 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Connecting Growers and Eaters Merit Badge!

“Cancer is a horrific life altering illness that knows know gender, age, race, or religion. A nearby neighbor is battling for her life as we speak. To help her out, we spent many an hour working in her garden that she planted while she was in remission, before her cancer metastasized and reared its ugly head once again. With our help, her garden provided her and her husband produce, helping offset the cost of food, which in turn they were able to apply towards medical bills.

With our help, her garden provided her and her husband produce, helping offset the cost of food, which in turn they were able to apply towards medical bills. Knowing they were able to eat organically grown produce to help her body fight the cancer and the side effects of the chemotherapy is a blessing! We hope to plant her garden for her this upcoming year and do the same thing again!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  10:22:57 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Connecting Growers and Eaters Merit Badge!

“This past growing season was a truly wonderful one for our area. Generally speaking, we see very little rain. This past Spring and Summer, however, God blessed our area with a wonderful rain accumulation and bountiful growing season! Due to this, many people had more produce than they could use. As such, I contacted a few friends that had plots in the community garden and asked them about picking extras from their gardens to donate. Three of them readily agreed! So every week, after picking my own garden and separating what I was going to donate from my own garden, I went and picked the produce they had left over in their gardens (the agreement was they would pick what they wanted the day before and whatever was left the day I went, I could have).

I think the food bank really appreciates any fresh produce it can get! And even more so, I'm sure the people who get the fresh produce appreciates it even more!!!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  10:35:30 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Pay It Forward Merit Badge!

“One of the local churches houses a food pantry. I've spent many a day helping collect donations and organizing the food. The hard part is seeing how much food leaves! There are so many people in need, and it never seems like there's enough. It's heart-wrenching to deliver the food. Often times there are children in the background, so ready to eat, and needing the nourishment! There are also many elderly individuals that are unable to leave their homes. It's an honor to be able to help these individuals!

Helping those who are less fortunate than ourselves is a great reminder of how blessed we really are! No matter how hard or tight things are, there's always someone who has it worse. I pray my children learn to never take what we have for granted and to continue giving!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  10:41:05 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“By studying the Wilton site, I've begun my cake decorating journey. I've begun to learn and practice the basics of cake decorating. I've also taken the time to read a Wilton cake-decorating beginner's guide, as well as participating in my children's 4H cake decorating classes.

I find learning about cake decorating to be fun and great creative outlet! My oldest prefers to have "control' over this department, but "let's me" play as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  10:41:47 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“Thanks to Joanns, I've begun putting together an extensive cake decorating kit. I have all the basic supplies, but have started adding specialized items as well. The cake I made and frosted was a "from scratch" gluten free cake, filled with strawberries, and decorated with ombre buttercream frosting on the side, piped rosettes on top, and shell piping on the bottom.

My cake may not have been professional level, but turned out wonderful!!! I'm looking forward to learning more and putting a cake in the fair in the summer!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  10:49:04 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“Our family LOVES trying new foods and cuisines! We homeschool, so one of our subjects is geography. Whenever we study a country, we make at least one meal for each week we're studying it, from that country. Right now we are working through Europe again. One cuisine that we don't have much experience with is Swiss. While I didn't find too many differences, the one difference I did find was eating goat...so Capretta, or Roasted kid, served over rice went on the menu!

Learning about Switzerland and Swiss cuisine was definitely enjoyable!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  10:50:00 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“For our Swiss meal, we decided to make a Christmas meal...Capretto, served over rice. Ingredients included butter, ground sage, fresh mint, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper, sherry, cream, rum, and boneless goat kid. This was cooked low and slow. The result was a super tender yummy meal!

The only one of us that have eaten cuisines and foods different than the rest, is my husband. Due to traveling with the military, he's eaten in many different countries. Perhaps the weirdest food as far as what we are use to, is camel. I've eaten ostrich in the past.

I would LOVE to travel to Thailand and Vietnam as their cuisines are among my favorites! Italian and Mexican foods are also delicious.

For us, this badge was a joy to earn! I'm looking forward to trying more cuisines and trying new exciting recipes!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  11:14:22 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“The Beginner Level of this badge asks 10 questions. Here are my answers:
1. The Constitution
2. It sets up and defines the government, while protecting the rights of the American people
3. "We the People"
4. Bill of Rights
5. Speech and religion
6. Declared our independence as a nation from Great Britain
7. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (all three)
8. Freedom of religion states that we have the right to practice any religion we so chose, or none at all
9. Capitalist market economy
10. No one is above the law, therefore all must follow, be it the people and/or the government and leaders.

This was a great reminder of basic Civics information.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  11:15:20 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“For the next level, here are my answers to the 10 questions asked:
1. Judicial, Legislative, and Executive
2. Checks and balances, and separation of powers
3. President
4. Legislative branch
5. House of Representatives and Senate
6. 100 (2 from each state)
7. Senator John Barrasso and Rep Liz Cheney
8. 6 years
9. 2 years
10. 4 years
11. President
12. President

I'm finding these questions a great reminder of American basics!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  11:16:10 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“For the final level of this badge, here are the answers to the questions asked:
1. President
2. Reviews and explains laws, resolves disputes, as well as making sure that the laws follow the Constitution
3. Supreme
4. nine
5. John Roberts, Jr
6. declare war and make treaties
7. provide education and providing protection and safety
8. Gov Mark Gordon
9. Cheyenne
10. Republican and Democrats
11. Paul Ryan

After reviewing these questions, and asking my children, I have found that they do not know some of these answers and they need to! We will be reviewing these for their civics class :)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  11:17:50 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“For this badge. we are asked to pick out three book in three categories (fiction, non-fiction, and poetry) and read them. Here's my list of choices:

Fiction:
- Love Comes Softly, by Janette Oke
- No One Must Know, by Eva Wiseman
- The Centurion's Wife, by Janette Oke

Nonfiction:
- Kisses from Katie, by Katie J Davis
- The Story of the Trapp Family Singers, by Maria A Trapp
- A Song for Your Honor, by Kay Evans

Poetry:
- I Never Saw Another Butterfly: Children's Drawings and Poems from the Terezin Concentration Camp, 1942-1944
- Longfellow: Selected Poems
- The Poetry of Robert Frost

I'm an avid reader, however, I found this challenge a lot of fun!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  11:18:36 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“For this badge I wrote a fictional story, a persuasive essay, and a poem. I read them to my children as examples of what I'd like to receive from their schooling (we homeschool). I also read "Woe Is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English."

It has been quite awhile since I'd written anything substantial. English, while in school, was an enjoyable class for me, and I was always excited to have the opportunity to write, as well as to analyze various works of literature.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  11:19:25 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“As a homeschooling mom, I have the blessing of teaching my children arithmetic on a daily basis. I was one class from getting my minor in math, so this to me is an exciting thing! My oldest is currently in Algebra 2, and I'm hoping she will continue through calculus. Our favorite curriculum for math is Math-U-See.

Math is one of my favorite subjects, so this was a truly fun experience, and one I do daily. To mix it up for the children and work on their money skills, I gave them each a set amount of money and told them to make a week's menu and grocery list and then to help get those ingredients! It was great!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  12:16:50 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Carpe Cocoa Merit Badge!

“In order to earn this badge, there were two requirements. The first requirement was to read "The True History of Chocolate," by Sophie D Coe and Michael D. Coe. I didn't find this book all that exciting, but it was definitely educational.

The second requirement is to try local chocolate artisan's wares, as well as learning the differences between dark, milk, and white chocolates. Milk and dark chocolate are both made from cocoa beans though varying amounts. Dark chocolate does not have any milk solids added. White chocolate, however, is made from cocoa butter.

I love love love all types of chocolate. Sadly, I'm allergic to dairy, so I was only able to do this in small amounts. Thankfully, dark chocolate is generally safe. :)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  12:18:01 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I got to play in my garden. :) The first thing we did was make markers out of tin can lids. We connected them to sticks our neighbor said we could get from his yard.

The second thing I did was to sharpen my garden tools. I had never heard of this before, and was excited to learn this!

The third thing I did was wiping down my tools and storing them properly. My garden tools have never looked so good!

It amazes me that these things I've learned to do via this badge are not things that I'd been taught previously. I don't remember my parents or even my grandmother ever cleaning their garden tools or oiling their wooden handles!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  12:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“There were three parts to earning the beginner level of this badge. The first one is to watch the trailer of the movie at www.vanishingbees.com. This trailer was heart wrenching!

The second part was to plant bee-friendly plants in the garden. Other than vegetable plants, we also planted lemon balm, borage, sage, thyme, lavendar, three types of mint, and rosemary.

The third part was to read Sue Monk Kidd's "Secret Life of Bees." This book was not my type of reading, but I read it nonetheless.

I LOVE having bees in our yard! My favorite part of earning this badge was the planting of vegetables and herbs :)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  12:19:59 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Good, Bad, and Ugly ... Bugs! Merit Badge!

“To earn the beginner level of this badge, there are three requirements. The first is to identify at least four beneficial bugs living in my garden. This past gardening season, we had ladybugs, lacewigs, soldier beetles, and ground beetles.

The second part was to identify at least four harmful bugs in my garden.These included Japanese beetles, tomato hornworm, cutworm, and Colorado Potato Beetle.

The third part was to research different methods of organic pest control, along with different plants to grow that attract beneficial insects to the garden. My favorite methods of pest control are rotating crops, picking off the bad bugs by hand, and companion planting. White clover, dill, yarrow, and catnip will all attract beneficial bugs.

The children and I actually had a lot of fun catching and examining the various bugs in our garden. We were studying "flying creatures" for science in our homeschool, so the timing was perfect!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  12:20:42 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level The Good, Bad, and Ugly ... Bugs! Merit Badge!

“One of the greatest problems in our garden this past year was cutworms. We had some ground beetles around, but obviously not enough. To help attract more of them, I planted perennial herbs in the garden. I also did a lot of hand removal!

While I think the perennial herbs helped, I'm thinking I need to get more perennials planted around my garden area. I also let the chickens peck through the soil after the garden was done, in hopes that they would eat the larvae.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  12:21:57 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“Hubby and I were not raised as farm kids. Hubby grew up in subdivision, running around with friends, where having a cat or dog was the norm. I was raised out of town limits in an even smaller town. We owned cats and dogs, and had a large farm across the road from us. But it never occurred to our family to have animals. When hubby and I got married, we started dreaming of having a small farm. When we moved to where we live now, we got goats, chickens, and even had pigs. But even that did not prepare us for what we were about to undertake.

Dear friends needed help... with their hobby farm. Fainting goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, and horses are a few of their animals, not to mention multiple cats, dogs, and miniature horses. For weeks we helped take care of their animals. What we lacked in knowledge and experience, we quickly learned.

Aching muscles was only one of the things we acquired. We also determined that a hobby farm is not what we're looking for. It furthered our understandings of our own desires - of wanting animals that give back, rather than just pets. By no means am I saying a hobby farm isn't a good choice, but rather it isn't the choice for us. If we are going to put the extra time into caring for animals, we would like some return, other than just enjoyment of their company. This means that sheep may be in our future, but probably not horses or miniature horses.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  1:09:24 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Build It Green Merit Badge!

“Our family tries to decorate our house in green ways. This includes natural lighting from the sun, rather than lamps and lots of lights on. We also use essential oil diffusers and beeswax candles rather than regular candles. Plants add color and help clean the air. At Christmas time, though, I think one of the greatest ways to decorate more green-ly, is by reusing items to make homemade ornaments. Our tree is decorated with lots of homemade ornaments, including ones made from tin can lids, empty spools, etc.

Decorating green is so much easier than people think! Just reusing old materials rather than sending it to the landfill is a great way to decorate green!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  1:10:12 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Build It Green Merit Badge!

“For this level of the badge, I was to share with my Farmgirl Chapter what I have learned. Since I don't have a local chapter, I shared it online with the Wildflower group. This is what I wrote...

Most of us probably already have started decorating our house in a green manner and do not even realize it. My first thoughts were decorating with house plants. Then I thought about using beeswax candles and essential oils, rather than those plug ins you can get at the grocery store. But then it dawned on me... perhaps one of the greatest ways we decorate in a green manner is simply by reusing items to make things! Our Christmas tree, which will be up until after the 16th, is decorated with homemade ornaments made from wooden spools and tin can lids, and so many other reused items. When I decorate for Valentine's Day after the tree comes down, again there will be items that are reused or recycled into a new craft. Rather than throwing things into the landfill, we use them to beautify our homes. This is a great way to decorate green!

While I'm sure each of us have room to grow in decorating green, I think it is also important to realize where we're starting - and that more than likely we have already begun without even knowing it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  1:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Through the Looking Glass Merit Badge!

“When one thinks of stained glass, most of us automatically think of churches and cathedrals with their intricate stained glass windows. It's believed that stained glass actually originated in ancient times, with credit being given to both the Egyptians and Romans. The first known stained glass window in a church/cathedral is from 675 AD.

The most famous stained-glass artists are Louis Comfort Tiffany (deceased), Harry Clarke (deceased), and currently Brian Clarke and Tom Fruin.

I think my favorite artist is still Louis Comfort Tiffany. I find his work to be exquisite and almost comforting.

Here in our area, there doesn't seem to be much stained glass artwork. With that said, when we were in Maryland in May, we looked at many of the windows there and enjoyed looking at the intricate details that some are able to accomplish! I'm hoping to one day find a local class to learn to make stained glass art.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  1:11:57 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Through the Looking Glass Merit Badge!

“After doing quite a bit of searching, I learned that stained glass art has not been taught in this area since 2016. However, I did find a few tutorials online on youtube.

It looks like the closest place may be in Denver, CO to go check out an exhibit. However, we did find a catholic church that allowed us to check out their windows that are stained glass.

I think due to where we are located, stained glass is not as prominent. Growing up, I was always fascinated by the stained glass windows of the the church we were members of, and I hope my own children will learn to appreciate the beauty of such pieces.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  1:12:49 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Music Merit Badge!

“While not an expert by any means, I've begun to learn to play the piano. I've also attended some piano recitals of individuals much better talented and gifted than I!!!

For the second requirement, I've been attending some choir concerts as well as musicals put on my our local theater.

My dear mother-in-love gave me a keyboard for Christmas this year. I'm thoroughly looking forward to learning more about playing the piano and practicing on my keyboard!

I've also been enjoying the local choirs and musicals put on by our theater company. I have a couple children that are actually interested in possibly being in one of the future musicals.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  1:13:49 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“This past year in our garden, we needed two types of trellises... the first would be for the cucumbers, and the second was for my peas. Due to my allergy beans, including green beans, we don't grow many beans.

For the cucumber trellis, I had my husband help me with some cow panels a previous owner had left here. We bent them and put them on either side of the raised beds, so that the cucumbers actually grew over our pathway. This worked great!!!

For my pea ladder, I used scrap wood, some twine, and some leftover goat fencing. his didn't work as well as I had hoped, but it helped keep the plants off the ground. Next year we may need to try some teepees instead.

I LOVE having a arched cow panel trellis for my cucumbers, and am debating trying to use it for other plants as well, such as my birdhouse gourds and mall pumpkins.

My pea ladder, however, was less successful. I'm debating trying a teepee next year.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page