Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2017 :  4:21:54 PM  Show Profile
Beth Lohman (Cntybuff, #2591) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I took painting classes in acrylics last summer and learned a lot. In the beginning of December I went to a couple of art museums in Seattle ... amazing.

I so enjoyed earning this badge!!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2017 :  4:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Beth Lohman (Cntybuff, #2591) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“I made most of my Christmas baskets to family this year. Handmade soap, candles, bath bombs, crocheted wash clothes and some dried herbs. Each basket was a little different depending on the recipient.

Everyone loved them. I was surprised at how well they were greeted.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2017 :  4:29:18 PM  Show Profile
Beth Lohman (Cntybuff, #2591) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Furniture Makeover Merit Badge!

“Found this little beauty at a yard sale. All painted a solid black with cheap wood knobs. Sanded down to "antique" it. Found some beautiful glass knobs at an antique shop. Then Decorated with a few items I have collected.

I love how this turned out. Was a little unsure if I would like leaving the black color or not with my bed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2017 :  5:03:16 PM  Show Profile
Becky Gilson (Bearprairiechick, #6695) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“I made a bag from the back pocket of an old pair of jeans for the bean bags I made previously. I made paper boxes for bars of soap. The teddy bears are made out of old towels and I embroidered the faces.

Everything turned out great and everyone loved their homemade gifts.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2017 :  5:07:03 PM  Show Profile
Joanna Green (#5965) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I decided to draw a picture of our neighbour's barn which used to belong to my grandfather. I have taken many photos of it over the years and once tried to do a watercolour painting of it. I took some artistic licence in this drawing and left out some of the surroundings. I am definitely an amateur artist, but I enjoyed doing this drawing very much!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  2:50:13 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Kinder (Tumbleweed, #7236) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Tatting Merit Badge!

“I tried shuttle tatting this past December. I wasn't getting the hang of it. I read the instructions in Mary Jane's stitching room book about needle tatting. I also watched a lot of videos on You Tube. I learned how to do a double stitch and then a chain and then a ring. My first project was the clothespin bag trim. I used a large needle and size 10 thread. I then made the trim for the denim tote with size 3 thread and a large needle. I discovered the smaller the size number the thicker the thread. This is the same as wire gauge for jewelry making. I didn't want the same look as the first project So I went back and added a running chain to complete the "almost" 3ft required for the badge.

To continue perfecting my new fun hobby I made three bookmarks with chains, rings and picots. I attached the other side of the bookmarks using the middle picots from the rings on the base row. This was a little challenging. I had to start over a few times, had to pick out mistakes and tangles and add new threads when the working thread got too short to use. I learned to not pull too tight. Not be too rushed and to be patient because tangles will happen. I am anxious to continue with tatting. It is very relaxing, portable and not expensive. One ball of thread is about 4 dollars and a set of needles about 11 dollars.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  2:50:51 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Kinder (Tumbleweed, #7236) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Tatting Merit Badge!

“I tried shuttle tatting this past December. I wasn't getting the hang of it. I read the instructions in MaryJane's stitching room book about needle tatting. I also watched a lot of videos on You Tube. I learned how to do a double stitch and then a chain and then a ring. My first project was the clothespin bag trim. I used a large needle and size 10 thread. I then made the trim for the denim tote with size 3 thread and a large needle. I discovered the smaller the size number the thicker the thread. This is the same as wire gauge for jewelry making.

To continue perfecting my new fun hobby I made three bookmarks with chains, rings and picots. I attached the other side of the bookmarks using the middle picots from the rings on the base row. This was a little challenging. I had to start over a few times, had to pick out mistakes and tangles and add new threads when the working thread got too short to use. I learned to not pull too tight. Not be too rushed and to be patient because tangles will happen. I am anxious to continue with tatting. It is very relaxing, portable and not expensive. One ball of thread is about 4 dollars and a set of needles about 11 dollars.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  2:54:21 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“For the last two weeks I have had a cup of tea in the living room rocker away from the tv. There is usually a cat on my lap, hope that's not multitasking. Down time is nice. I am enjoying the me time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  2:59:04 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“My five herbs were basil, rosemary, parsley, cilantro and mint.

These are my two favorite combinations so far:
Basil and tomatoes
Rosemary and chicken”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  3:10:10 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“This is a great badge and I am happy to have completed it! I have assembled a bunch of first aid kits! I have one for our pets, which is in the house, but travels with us on trips. I have assembled a big one for us in the house, five medium sized kits, one for each of our cars, for each of our backpacking/camping packs and one for my husband's snowboarding bag, as well as smaller kits for our work desks and my purse.

I think this turned out great! I was able to get most of the items I needed through my FSA, which was great, and I feel good knowing we are prepared if anyone gets hurt.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  3:57:10 PM  Show Profile
Kiersten Childs (AutumnCountryGirl, #7232) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I have started to use Simple Green to clean around the house! It is an all purpose cleaner that smells wonderful, is safe to use around pets and children, and is biodegradable. It works perfectly for cleaning the kitchen counters, wiping down the bathrooms, and cleaning up pet messes.

Mission Statement: I pledge not to use any household cleaners that are harmful to the environment, animals, and myself. When I go to purchase cleaner, I will check the ingredients list and make sure I can reuse or recycle the container.
My ideas for being green:
• I like to set a timer for the shower so I don’t stay in the shower too long and use up too much water. I try to stick to a ten minute shower since I have really thick hair that takes a while to wash and condition.
• My mom is a hair dresser and instead of buying harsh chemicals and poisons to keep deer away from the garden, we spread hair clippings around the plants. The deer smell the hair and stay away. It’s safe and doesn’t hurt any wildlife.
• I try to use reusable bags instead of plastic bags when I shop but I do have a collection of plastic bags. Instead of throwing them away right away, I reuse them. I use them to carry my lunch to work, empty the cat litter box into them, and for storing small items in my closet. I try to throw away as little plastic that I can.
• For Christmas this year, we did a green tree. We have a cedar tree in the our side yard. My mom and I took oranges and hung them from the tree for the birds to eat. We decorated that tree with food for birds instead of putting up lights and fake greenery this year.

The house still stays clean and I don't have to worry about my pets inhaling toxic fumes when I clean. I will continue to clean with green cleaners in the future and I plan on sharing the product I use with my friends.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  4:22:40 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“Aside from a home-ec class in middle school, I had no idea how to sew... so before my first child was born, over 13 years ago, I bought a sewing machine and taught myself. Today I pulled out my badge notebook and looked at the requirements for "Sew Wonderful." I had already earned the beginner level and decided to work on the intermediate. I had never heard of a french seam, let alone knowing how to do it. Oh my gracious it is fabulous!!! I am so excited! I am sure I will still use my serger, but will certainly be adding in french seams as well. I can especially see using the french seams for materials that fray! I also learned how to do the "flat felled seam." So fun and such a different look! I'm not sure when I'm going to use it, but I like it just the same! The other seams I worked on were zig-zag, 3 step zig-zag, self-bound seam, and pinking seams.

I absolutely LOVE the french seam! It is definitely one I will be using in the future!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  4:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“Crocheting and Knitting are two talents/skills that I have always been petrified to try ... I was certain I would fail and never get the hang of it! A little over a year ago, I finally got the courage to attempt crocheting. And surprisingly, at least for me, I succeeded in a relatively square dishcloth! I was thrilled! The yarn I used was even thick enough that it could be a potholder as well!

Who would have thought making a square would be so difficult!? It took many a tries and a lot of undoing rows to get an end product that looked remotely like a square. Overall, I find crocheting to be quite relaxing! Maybe I will find the courage to try a more difficult project... and maybe even give knitting a try!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  4:29:43 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“There are three different types of canning methods. The first type is water bath canning. Water bath canning is done by submerging jars of high acidic foods in boiling water for a given amount of time, which seals the jars. Fruits, tomatoes with added lemon juice, and pickles (due to the added vinegar) are all canned via this method. Pressure canning is for non-acidic foods, such as meats, vegetables, beans, and soups. The third type of canning method is oven canning. This way of canning is controversial in both safety and need. Basically you take dehydrated foods, such as flours and dried pastas, put them in the sterilized jars, then put the jars in a 200 degree oven for an hour. In all three types of canning, heat is needed for food safety. Killing botulism spores is a major concern, which is why higher heat, obtained by pressure, is needed for foods with lower acid levels.

I absolutely LOVE canning! I have both a pressure canner and a water bath canner that I use on a regular basis. I personally do not use the oven canning method, as I just store by dried foods in mylar bags for long term storage.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  4:35:09 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Canning Merit Badge!

“As I mentioned before, I absolutely love to can food! There is something about seeing all the jars lined up of yummy foods that makes my heart sing, knowing I have food stored for our "large" family. I canned three different things in my water bath canner for this badge. The first was salsa. We eat quite a bit of salsa, as I am trying to get all of the high fructose corn syrup, and therefore taco sauce, out of my house. The second thing was apple butter. Our family eats quite a bit of apple butter, so if I can buy apples on sale, I do! The third thing was pickles. I cheated for these and used a packet of pickling spices, and won't be doing that again!

Water bath canning is one of my favorite past-times. My older two daughters, ages 8 and 13 often help me with the process. One day I would really like to get one of the Amish made water bath canners that I can process 15 quarts or 36 pints at a time!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  4:37:54 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Canning Merit Badge!

“Pressure Canning is enjoyable, though not my favorite. The primary foods I have canned in my canner are dried beans and broths. In the past I have also canned vegetables. As of yet, I have still not canned meat.

Thankfully, all my jars sealed this time around. Canning beans is so much cheaper as is broth, compared to buying them from the store, not to mention more nutritious. In the picture, there are three types of broth - turkey, chicken, and beef. I really would like to try to make some venison stock as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  2:23:12 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“We implemented a weekly games night, which happens on Sundays. It started out as a weekly games night, but has turned into almost daily!! For daddy, particularly, it's a great way to connect with our three children.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  2:25:51 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“My list of 10 things to do with our entire family (we don't have TV):

1) Have one family over each month
2) Community event each month
3) Skiing every other Friday in winter
4) Snowmobiling one time each week
5) Family woodcutting/stacking one time each week
6) Family devotions every day
7) Family Storytime every day
8) Family baking every Monday
9) Family kitchen experiments every Wednesday
10) Family Prayer time 5x/week

We have had at least one family over each month for dinner. We have enjoyed getting to know other families! We attended a Woodlot Tour as a family community event this month, and our favourite station was the trapping station. We really enjoy skiing - very convenient as we have a little hill just down the road.

Snowmobiling is a great hit - it happens almost every day while the snow is still around. Our family time wood cutting/stacking is great as we help Daddy work, and he really appreciates it. We really enjoy adding a new element to our family devotions - where each person shares one verse/part that was their favourite and why. Story time isn't just at night before bed - it's on top of that. We are reading "Swiss Family Robinson" as a literature book together every day. We bake together every Monday - which has brought joy to all of us as we share the treats after making it together. Kitchen experiments have been so fun. Our theme for the month of January is snow: we experimented with which salt melts snow faster, how much water remains after snow is melted, and dying snow. We also have family prayer time, where not just Daddy prays, but everyone has a chance to pray.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  2:39:14 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“One of the biggest things I learned about cruelty free products is that it is not vegan. They often contain ingredients that require the death of an animal to produce. Cruelty free does ensure that there is no testing on animals at any point of the process of making the product. If you wish to have a product that does not contain any animal products, be sure it is labelled vegan.

I now have all organic products in my home - shampoo, lotion, hand soap, dish soap, laundry detergent, cleaners (Dr. Bronners lavender is my favourite!) etc.

I made a homemade aftershave for my husband with completely natural ingredients - vegan friendly.

I really enjoyed reading about cruelty free, as hard as some of the articles were to read. I feel more informed when I purchase products now. I also enjoy knowing everything in my home is safe for my family to use. My husband loves his aftershave more than any other he has had in the past and I loved being able to use essential oils (balsam fir and lavender) to scent to our preference.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  2:47:21 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I have completely replaced all products in our home with natural organic or homemade products. I have worked on two additional homemade items - laundry soap and bath bombs.

The bathbombs were a bit tricky to make sure they molded, but once I got them wet enough (but not too wet!) they turned out lovely and we gave them as gifts to many friends and family members. The laundry soap is wonderful - and I love scenting it with just a touch of lavender.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  2:52:30 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“With an enthused son, we sorted out our storage containers, found lids, threw away broken items and stacked everything neatly.

I love organization, and I loved doing it with my son! I loved making more room to get around in my cupboards. I also discovered I love working on the "Farm Kitchen" badges best so far! I think I found out what may be a passion.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  2:54:47 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“I made homemade crackers. I had no idea they would be so easy, and would taste sooo delicious. I never bought them in the store, as I'm scared of all the preservatives on the lists. This badge encouraged me to make my own - and now my entire family loves our homemade crackers with cheese and homemade pickles!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  3:01:40 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We started raising our own chickens and turkeys and pigs. The chickens and turkeys are for meat and eggs. We butchered all three ourselves and fed them organic food as much as possible. Our freezer is full for the winter, and we have plenty of egg-laying hens.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  3:03:12 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I learned how to milk a dairy goat. We also have switched over to heritage breeds for our animals - Berkshire Pigs; Columbia and Plymouth Rock for our Chickens; Bronze Turkeys.

The milking a goat was fun. I loved doing it. I enjoy having our own heritage breeds that weren't genetically modified for production increase.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  3:26:51 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“This is something that I've been wanting to do for a long time. I've done research on the internet and I have bought books on how to make my own cleaners, bath products and anything else that I might be able to make myself. I will be writing a journal and keeping track of what works and what doesn't so that everything I use in the house (and beyond) is as natural as I can possibly make it. I think that this is going to be challenging, I also think it is going to be fun!

So far, so good. I can't believe all of the things that I can make healthier than what I can buy in a store. I made a vinegar cleaner, which I love, Some bath salts and a few other things. From now on, this is going to be my only way to go!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page