Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  3:43:55 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“Today I took the time to organize our storage containers. We do not have any plastic ones, so instead I organized our glass storage containers. The first thing I did was take everything out of the cabinets. Then I put all the lids on their respective containers. I put our large bowls on top, our casserole dishes on the middle shelves, and our smaller storage containers on the bottom shelf.

I love how meat and tidy the cabinet looks. The big question, however, is if it will stay that way!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  4:04:29 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“My guilty pleasure from the grocery store is soda pop. Oddly enough it is not about the flavor or sweetness, but rather the carbonation that I love! In place of it, I now drink water kefir. It not only has the same bubbly loveliness, but it also is much better for me! It is rich in probiotics and does not spike the blood sugar as the grains "eat" the majority of the sugars.

I am still learning to play with different flavors of water kefir. My favorite so far is made by simply adding strawberries for the second fermentation.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  4:06:37 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“Due to being gluten and cow dairy free, we have to make a lot of our own foods ... or pay an outlandish price. One of my favorite things to make is spaghetti sauce. I love the versatility of adding in a lot of different organic vegetables. And without the preservatives and additives, it is so much better for us, not to mention it tastes better!

The other food I make from scratch quite a bit is "french fries." Rather than frying them, however, I bake the wedged organic potatoes in the oven after putting some olive oil, salt and pepper. Yummy!

I prefer to make as much homemade unprocessed foods as possible. I find that they generally taste better and I do not have to question the used ingredients.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  4:08:28 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“As we were traveling out west, we visited many friends and family. During our travels, we stayed with a friend we have known for years. Their family eats primarily processed boxed foods and drinks. While there, we went to Earthfare and bought ingredients for some of their favorite foods. Breakfast was hashed browns made from fresh potatoes, eggs, and sausage made from a mixture of ground pork and beef with fresh herbs. We also made a fruit cup, using frozen and fresh fruits. Chili was made using dried beans that were soaked and cooked, freshly blanched peeled and diced tomatoes, jalapenos, and other veggies. Cornbread was made from scratch. Dessert consisted of apple crisp made from fresh apples we had recently picked, served complete with homemade ice cream.

Overall, the experience was lovely. While there we also made some seasoning mixtures including taco seasoning and chili seasoning. I also showed her how to make her own jam while there, so that she doesn't have to keep buying it, as well as gave her copies of my recipes for spaghetti sauce and broth.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  4:11:55 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“In order to collect recipes, I contacted my aunts, my husband's aunts, our sisters and brothers, our parents, and our cousins. I also contacted close friends.

Some of the recipes I received were Brad's grandmother's recipes. I must admit, I think I was the most excited to get those! There is something special about the "old" recipes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  4:15:38 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“Using the idea in one of the Sister Issues, I made myself a binder for my recipes that are printed on paper. For my recipe cards, I have two Longaberger recipe boxes that my MIL gave me years ago as gifts. I also made a copy of the recipes for each of my sisters, as well as gifting my oldest daughter with her own recipe box. For hers, I used horse themed recipe cards, as she loves horses!

I was thrilled with how my recipe binder turned out, and my oldest daughter absolutely loves her recipe box. As the younger three girls get a little older, they too will get copies of the recipes in their own box.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  4:20:19 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Music Merit Badge!

“The three basic elements of music are rhythm, melody and harmony. Rhythm refers to the time in music ... the duration of the sound, the beat, and pattern or meter.

There are two different types of melodies. One is conjunct, where the music is smooth, easy to play, and to sing. The other type of melody is disjunct. This type of melody is jumpy in pitch and is difficult to sing and/or play.

Harmony is taking the pitches of the melody and combining them into chords.

The three different genres I listened to was a classical song from Beethoven, traditional Bluegrass, and Southern Gospel. I tried to pick totally different genres :) What fun it was!!!

The children and I had a blast listening to different genres of music. We also ended up listening to jazz, a cappello, latin, hip hop, country, and the blues. So. Much. Fun!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  4:23:49 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Music Merit Badge!

“Some of the most beautiful classical music ever written was composed by a young Austrian, born in 1756, named Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Wolfgang started learning to play the clavier, which is similar to a piano, at the young age of three. At age four he was playing the violin. He wrote his first concerto at the age of six. It was at that point that his father, who was a musician himself, started traveling the world with him and his older sister, Nannerl, who was also fluent in music. It was his father's desire to get him and his sister well known at a young age so that they could provide for themselves financially better than he. During this time frame, musicians were treated as servants and were paid very little.

Money was always an issue for the Mozart family. Often times the Mozart children were paid with gifts, opposed to money. While the gifts were probably appreciated by the children, it did not help their father put food on the table! As Wolfgang got older, his father continued to control much of what Wolfgang did, much like a manager. Part of the reason may have been that Wolfgang was not a good steward of his money. He was married to a singer named Constanze Weber, in 1782. The couple had six children, though heart breakingly, only two survived past infancy. While he wrote more than 800 pieces of music, his most famous are his operas. He died at the young age of 35!

Some of the most beautiful music written today is by the exceptional pianist Jon Schmidt, of The Piano Guys. This son of German immigrants started his composing career at eleven. By the time he was sixteen he was teaching others how to play the piano. In his early twenties, Jon started a successful career as a solo pianist. Unlike Mozart, Schmidt was extremely concerned about music and his ability to provide for his family financially. To help provide for himself, he started a degree in English with plans of getting his MBA. However, once he presented himself to an audience in a concert hall, and was loved, he quit working towards his MBA and fully embraced his love and talent in music. He held his solo career for twenty years prior to becoming a major part of The Piano Guys. Married to his wife Michelle, they have five children.

Both Mozart and Jon's ability to compose beautiful and mysteriously powerful masterpieces using the piano are due to God given abilities. Both men have/had the mindset to do better and improve their works, to the best of their abilities. Both men stay(ed) true to their faith in God, through fame and hard times. Mozart's life was much shorter than that of Schmidt, but I think the greatest difference is in the stewardship of finances. While Mozart liked to spend money by giving parties, buying expensive wigs and clothing, playing games, Schmidt was concerned enough about the financial stability of his family that he was willing to put aside his love of music and obvious talent to obtain a "steadier occupation."

I find listening to classical music - be it famous composers such as Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach, or contemporary classical influenced music such as that of Jon Schmidt and the others of The Piano Guys to be extremely soothing to the soul and calming. The beauty of the notes dancing from their instruments causes ones heart to dance and be light. Our family enjoys having instrumental calming music playing as we go through our daily duties, including school. The result is a sense of peace and tranquility.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  4:29:22 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“There are five main types of meditation techniques... concentration, mindfulness, reflective, creative, and heart-centered. Within the mindfulness meditation technique are multiple types. Vipassana meditation, self remembering, zazen, and Mahamudra all fall under mindfulness meditation. Additionally, so do choiceless awreness, dzogchen, and prayers of the heart also fall under this technique. The purpose of this type of meditation is to embrace the totality of the given experience, moment by moment through a strengthening of our sense of wonder and being grateful for what is happening.

As a Christian, I was drawn to the prayer of the heart meditation. The general idea is to quiet ones mind and be with God. Romans 8:26 says "Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." (NKJV) We are commanded "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!" (Psalm 46:10 NKJV). This type of mindful meditation allows one to be still, wait for God, and let the Spirit intercede on our behalf.

Prior to starting this type of meditation and learning about it, I though meditation was anti-Christian. Wow was I wrong! While there are some techniques that are not centered on Christ, I have found prayer of the heart meditation - a type of mindfulness meditation - to be refreshing and rejuvenating. It is my heart's cry to grow closer to Christ, and this is a way I may be able to do that.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  4:35:11 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (Ginger Dawn, #6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“To earn this badge, I needed to
•Research the benefits of regular meditation on both the brain and the physical body. Research different types of meditation.
•Give it a try: For 7 days, spend at least 5 minutes meditating every day. You may wish to use guided meditations to start.

As soon as I read the email from MaryJane listing the new merit badges for 2017, I squealed in delight when I saw mindfulness. I cannot begin to list all the positive effects of mindfulness. First, my health in general has improved. My blood pressure is lower, I am able to regulate my breathing much better and now only use my inhaler once a day. Moreover, I am sick less often and my immunity has improved greatly. I also feel less stress since I began practicing a mindful lifestyle. I meditate every day and have been using the Insight Timer app. Since Jan 1, 2016! I haven’t missed a day. I prefer the guided meditations but I have also used the bell. For the purpose of this badge I started again on January 1, 2018.

There are many benefits to regular meditation. For one, the health improves. I am a great example of this. Interestingly one of the central benefits of meditation is that it improves attention and concentration: One recent study found that just a couple of weeks of meditation training helped people’s focus and memory during the verbal reasoning section of the GRE. In fact, the increase in score was equivalent to 16 percentile points. In 2013, I participated in the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn at Winchester Medical Center in Virginia. It was an 8 week course that taught me how to meditate and live more mindfully. Our class, had a nun, several doctors, a retired preacher, and a few who were battling different medical challenges or learning to practice mindfulness within the public school and health professions. There’s been increasing interest from educators and researchers in bringing meditation and yoga to school kids, who are dealing with the usual stressors inside school, and oftentimes additional stress and trauma outside school. Some schools have starting implementing meditation into their daily schedules, and with good effect: One district in San Francisco started a twice daily meditation program in some of its high-risk schools – and saw suspensions decrease, and GPAs and attendance increase. Studies have confirmed the cognitive and emotional benefits of meditation for schoolchildren, but more work will probably need to be done before it gains more widespread acceptance.

http://www.ineedmotivation.com made a wonderful list. I will share it with you now!

100 Benefits of Meditation!
Physiological benefits:
1- It lowers oxygen consumption.
2- It decreases respiratory rate.
3- It increases blood flow and slows the heart rate.
4- Increases exercise tolerance.
5- Leads to a deeper level of physical relaxation.
6- Good for people with high blood pressure.
7- Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate.
8- Decreases muscle tension
9- Helps in chronic diseases like allergies, arthritis etc.
10- Reduces Pre-menstrual Syndrome symptoms.
11- Helps in post-operative healing.
12- Enhances the immune system.
13- Reduces activity of viruses and emotional distress
14- Enhances energy, strength and vigour.
15- Helps with weight loss
16- Reduction of free radicals, less tissue damage
17- Higher skin resistance
18- Drop in cholesterol levels, lowers risk of cardiovascular disease.
19- Improved flow of air to the lungs resulting in easier breathing.
20- Decreases the aging process.
21- Higher levels of DHEAS (Dehydroepiandrosterone)
22- prevented, slowed or controlled pain of chronic diseases
23- Makes you sweat less
24- Cure headaches & migraines
25- Greater Orderliness of Brain Functioning
26- Reduced Need for Medical Care
27- Less energy wasted
28- More inclined to sports, activities
29- Significant relief from asthma
30- improved performance in athletic events
31- Normalizes to your ideal weight
32- harmonizes our endocrine system
33- relaxes our nervous system
34- produce lasting beneficial changes in brain electrical activity
35- Cure infertility (the stresses of infertility can interfere with the release of hormones that regulate ovulation).
36- Helps in building sexual energy & desire

Psychological benefits:
36- Builds self-confidence.
37- Increases serotonin level, influences mood and behaviour.
38- Resolve phobias & fears
39- Helps control own thoughts
40- Helps with focus & concentration
41- Increase creativity
42- Increased brain wave coherence.
43- Improved learning ability and memory.
44- Increased feelings of vitality and rejuvenation.
45- Increased emotional stability.
46- improved relationships
47- Mind ages at slower rate
48- Easier to remove bad habits
49- Develops intuition
50- Increased Productivity
51- Improved relations at home & at work
52- Able to see the larger picture in a given situation
53- Helps ignore petty issues
54- Increased ability to solve complex problems
55- Purifies your character
56- Develop will power
57- greater communication between the two brain hemispheres
58- react more quickly and more effectively to a stressful event.
59- increases one’s perceptual ability and motor performance
60- higher intelligence growth rate
61- Increased job satisfaction
62- increase in the capacity for intimate contact with loved ones
63- decrease in potential mental illness
64- Better, more sociable behavior
65- Less aggressiveness
66- Helps in quitting smoking, alcohol addiction
67- Reduces need and dependency on drugs, pills & pharmaceuticals
68- Need less sleep to recover from sleep deprivation
69- Require less time to fall asleep, helps cure insomnia
70- Increases sense of responsibility
71- Reduces road rage
72- Decrease in restless thinking
73- Decreased tendency to worry
74- Increases listening skills and empathy
75- Helps make more accurate judgements
76- Greater tolerance
77- Gives composure to act in considered & constructive ways
78- Grows a stable, more balanced personality
79- Develops emotional maturity

Spiritual benefits:
80- Helps keep things in perspective
81- Provides peace of mind, happiness
82- Helps you discover your purpose
83- Increased self-actualization.
84- Increased compassion
85- Growing wisdom
86- Deeper understanding of yourself and others
87- Brings body, mind, spirit in harmony
88- Deeper Level of spiritual relaxation
89- Increased acceptance of oneself
90- helps learn forgiveness
91- Changes attitude toward life
92- Creates a deeper relationship with your God
93- Attain enlightenment
94- greater inner-directedness
95- Helps living in the present moment
96- Creates a widening, deepening capacity for love
97- Discovery of the power and consciousness beyond the ego
98- Experience an inner sense of “Assurance or Knowingness”
99- Experience a sense of “Oneness”
100- Increases the synchronicity in your life

Meditation is also completely FREE! It requires no special equipment, and is not complicated to learn. It can be practiced anywhere, at any given moment, and it is not time consuming (15-20 min. per day is good). Best of all, meditation has NO negative side effects. Bottom line, there is nothing but positive to be gained from it!

Oh and after you have meditated for a while, you might enjoy a Mindful retreat! Can you believe that I have done this and went an entire weekend with NO TALKING! I encourage everyone to give Mindfulness a try!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  3:06:59 PM  Show Profile
Donna Kouri (#6893) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Safe Toys Merit Badge!

“I have made bean bags for each of my students for Christmas for several years. I made the bags, painted their names on each bag and then copied different games the children can play using their bean bags.

My students loved them. Recently, a former student contacted me and said she still had her bean bags!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  3:20:21 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“One of my favorite traditions for Christmas are the Christmas Eve pajamas. I'm not sure where I originally heard of this tradition, but all of us, even hubby and I, get a new pair of pajama pants and a matching t-shirt. We watch a new movie in our Christmas Eve pajamas, after getting home from the Christmas Eve service. Then, as we open gifts, all of us are still wearing our Christmas Eve pajamas, until after breakfast.

This year was slightly different, only because we didn't have the funds to buy t-shirts, so we didn't all match. But our pajama pants did! I always serge the seams for the reinforcement, as well as using my regular sewing machine. Overall, I think the pants turned out great!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  3:24:17 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“After moving to Wyoming, as we waited for our belongings to arrive, we started the process of finding new doctors. This included finding a veterinarian for our dog! Due to the area we live in, our options are limited! The closest town that has any services is 45 minutes away. Thankfully we have found a vet clinic that isn't necessarily holistic, but is open to natural veterinary care, when the owner has done their homework :)

The other thing we searched for was food - both for us and the dog. We moved from an area that had a Whole Foods, Costco, and EarthFare within a 30 - 45 minute drive. Here it is different. We are still figuring out how to handle our dietary needs, but we fortunate enough to find some great dog food for our dog. It is GMO, soy and grain free. Yay! Best of all, the price is reasonable as well!

When we bought Zoey from a German Shepherd Rescue, we vowed to take the best possible care of her as we can. A couple years after adopting her, we lost our other dog, so Zoey became an even more essential and important part of our family. I'm thankful for the companionship and protection she offers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  3:35:51 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Wild Game Merit Badge!

“There are six types of wild game. The first is venison. This meat is delicious and lean! If it is from a buck, expect a more gamey flavor. Generally speaking you do not want to overcook venison, as it becomes dry and more like leather than succulent meat. The second type is game birds. Turkeys, quail, pheasants, ducks, doves, and partridges are all types of game birds. Games birds cannot be served rare yet have the same issue with overcooking – they become dry. Elk, moose, bears, and buffalo all constitute the large game category. Most of the time, wild game has a stronger more bold flavor. Small game, the fourth category, is made up of rabbits and squirrels. These you want to wait until after a good frost to kill any worms that may be present. Exotic game depends on where you are hunting. Alligator, wild boar, kangaroo, antelope and ostrich all make up this group. Again, the flavor and concerns regarding cooking these animals depend on the animal themselves. The last type of wild game is game fishing. This is for those fish that take a lot of skill and to capture, generally offshore. Tunas, sharks, marlins, and swordfish all fall under this category.

Safe handling of wild game is even more crucial than that of domestically raised meat. Bleeding the carcass and carefully gutting the animal right after a clean shot is necessary. Cooling the animal is crucial to inhibit the growth of bacteria. The desire is to get the internal temperature less than 40 degrees as quickly as possible. When preparing the meat for cooking, soap and water needs to be used to clean all cutting instruments extremely well.

Our family LOVES wild game! We were gifted four deer this year that were shot by a farmer who gets free tags from the state to protect his feed for his cows. He gave them to us in quarters, that we then butchered. My brother also gifted us with some antelope steaks and ground elk. I am looking forward to being able to provide our family with meat through that which we raise, a locally pastured cow that we pay to have butchered, and wild game.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  3:51:25 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Rocks & Minerals Merit Badge!

“Rocks and minerals are more often than not confused. A rock is made up of one or more minerals, as well as mineraloids (mineral substance that does not have the required crystal form or definite chemical composition) and organic remains. A mineral has a definite chemical formula, as well as a geologically process formed crystalline substance.

There are ten characteristics of minerals which are used to identify and describe them. These characteristics include their shape, color, hardness, sheen, powder color, density, cleavage (break of a crystal and a new crystal face is formed), fracture (chipping of the crystal, tenacity (reaction to stress such as crushing or bending, etc), and crystal habit (external shape of the crystal or group of crystals).

There are three primary classes of rocks. The first is sedimentary. These are formed from small particles of shells, sands, pebbles and other small fragments of organic material. The second is metamorphic. Metamorphic rocks are the result of intense heat and pressure under the surface of the earth. Igneous rocks, the final class, are the results of cooled magna.

Minerals and rocks are used Every. Single. Day! When building a house, the following are used - bricks and tiles are made from clay materials, clay, limestone, and other minerals are used in cement, walls are made of gypsum, bolts, nails, and screws are made of steel but are coated with zinc, copper is used in plumbing and electrical wiring, and glass is made from quartz.

In the kitchen, more minerals and rocks are used. The cutlery is made from chromium and iron, some dinnerware is made of clay, glasses are quartz, pots and pans are metals be it stainless steel, cast iron, or aluminum, cans from the store are aluminum, and there is also of course salt. Around the house there are light bulbs made of tungsten, pencils made of lead, and clay and ceramic flower pots. Iron, magnetite, and hematite are used to make cars; Flourite is used to make flouride for toothpaste; watches and jewelry are made from many different minerals, including titanium, gold, silver, emeralds, diamonds, rubies, etc.

Even when it comes to health and medicine, minerals and rocks are used. Plaster casts are made from gypsum. Kaolinite is found in some medications. Blood pressure machines also have mercury in them.

It has been many years since I have looked at rocks and minerals. I had forgotten how much I enjoy studying them. Some of the information was more a reminder of what I had learned before, but other portions of it was completely new information for me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  3:56:00 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“Unplugging for a weekend was not deliberate ... The end of October, we moved to Wyoming from South Carolina. In South Carolina I had T-Mobile. Out here, there is no T-Mobile ... which in turn meant no cell phone. Not only did we not have cell phones, but we do not own a television, did not pack any radios, and had no access to internet. We went a couple weeks like that.

Though not deliberate, being unplugged was a BLESSING! We spent those days scrubbing the house, cleaning the yard and building a fence. It was absolutely lovely and I look forward to being able to do it again soon...”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  3:59:45 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (#7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First-aid Merit Badge!

“I assembled first-aid kits for my truck, the kitchen (including an aloe plant!), and the bathroom. We have a wood burner and needed a fire extinguisher! We now have three. I check smoke detectors and flashlight batteries every time there is a time change.

I feel much better prepared for an emergency now that I have supplies in the different areas where they will most likely be needed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  4:07:46 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (#7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Stargazing Chicks Merit Badge!

“I love looking at the night sky, but other than knowing the Big Dipper and how to find Polaris, I hadn't really learned much about astronomy. I got a new notebook to record my observations in and a book on "Astronomy" and a beginners book called "The Sky Observer's Guide". Learning about degrees of arc was something totally new!

Besides the Big and Little Dippers I can now identify Cassiopeia, Cepheus, Draco, Orion, the Great Dog or Canis Major, Gemini, Auriga, and Taurus and I know the names of their prominent stars.
I can't wait for summer so I can see the summer constellations!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  4:10:58 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (#7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I researched on windbreaks and how they are useful. I went to town to our little park beside the Clear Fork River. Identified the Black Cherry as a native tree and also the Red Maple. I thought Sycamore trees were native, but to my surprise they are originally from Europe. They grow along the rivers and streams in Ohio because they drink 300 gallons of water a day!

I found out that our house is 14 years old. The previous owner planted "rocket trees" on the north and south sides of the house. They are now too close to do the job they were meant to do. Because of my research, I will be able to plant a new windbreak.

I hadn't been to our little park in a long time! It was nice to have a quiet time to enjoy the trees!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  4:13:36 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (#7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I am lucky to have as my veterinarian my best friend from high school!

I checked the label on the dog food and was surprised by the ingredients. We have four German Shepherds. Their breed is prone to hip problems.

After consulting with the vet, we gradually switched the dogs over to an organic feed. They seem to like it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  4:57:42 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“We have been very aware of the potential emergency situations that could occur in our community since moving back here in the 70s.
Fires would at the top of the list to occur around our house, in our community and across our state.

While our house is not likely to be caught in a flood because of location, a town just 5 miles away could be because it is located in a river valley.

We do have considerable wind in the spring and sometimes in the winter which causes damage and could be worse. Several winter could also bring heavy snowfall to deal with.

We lost our house in an arson fire in July 1994 and since that time we have been more aware of the potential for fire from lightning, drought, etc. When we have irrigation water we have 2-inch fire hoses hooked up to our irrigation risers to use around the house and shop. We also are diligent about keeping a perimeter around the building with weed control, mowing, etc. Because of our fire there are no trees around the house that pose fire hazard potential. We are ALWAYS on “fire watch” in our community.

There is minor potential for tornadoes in the dry land farming area, but that is miles away to the west of us.

No matter the time of year we have, in all vehicles, shoes, jackets, blankets, tools, snacks, water, a phone book (in case we need to call someone and don’t have numbers in cell phones... or we have to go to a phone booth) ... whatever we need should we be out on the road. In the winter we also carry a small shovel and cat litter to aid in getting unstuck! We are diligent about making sure gas tanks are full, other fluid levels are what they need to be and tires are properly inflated and are in roadworthy condition.

It’s an ongoing process to be prepared and we try to stay on top of that preparedness so that the damage or shock is minimal, hopefully nonexistent.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  5:01:57 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“For me “meditation” means a lifestyle of prayer and Bible study. For some that could sound stiff, stuffy and boring but because of my life long faith I find that to be my rock, foundation and peace for everything in my life

My Bible study is daily, and I use a Bible reading schedule through the Navigators organization that helps me read through the Bible in a year. Once I get to the end of the year I start over, as I know I can get new meaning out of it each time.

My prayer life is daily, through the day, focusing on talking with God about Him and thanking Him. I also consider myself an intercessor, lifting others up in prayer as well. I keep a prayer journal with names of those I can pray for and specific prayers needs. This is my “mindfulness meditation."

I am aware of other forms of meditation but this is what I find to be the most meaningful for me.

Philippians 4:8: “Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things””

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2017 :  4:12:25 PM  Show Profile
Beth Lohman (Cntybuff, #2591) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“While my mother was in the hospital for six weeks I crocheted her a blanket and made a scarf. She loved them especially knowing the love and time that went into them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2017 :  4:15:43 PM  Show Profile
Beth Lohman (Cntybuff, #2591) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“Working on my small craft business. Natural Peace. Start with Soaps then get a cottage permit for tea mixes. Hope to have permit and teas in place for this summer's farmers market. Soaps did well for christmas. Now for the next step.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2017 :  4:19:48 PM  Show Profile
Beth Lohman (Cntybuff, #2591) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“Played with a collage idea and multi media and had a blast. I love how it turned plus I love sunflowers.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page