Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  3:35:13 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“Read about relaxation and stress. Practiced deep breathing for a week. 5 minutes of stillness was great.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  3:45:40 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (#7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I recently moved back to Ohio from Utah. Even though I knew most of the native birds when I was younger, I saw a bird I didn't know on my back porch. I looked it up and found that it was a Rufous-breasted Towhee! Since then, all month I have been amazed at the variety of birds that stay around all winter!

I am excited to be a birdwatcher again! This month I have also seen a Kingfisher and, on my way into town, a Bald Eagle by the creek! There is a small flock of Juncos and some Blue Jays, Cardinals, Tufted Titmouse and several sparrows that come to my feeder everyday. Still trying to identify a small pair of bluebirds.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  3:49:02 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (#7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“The only "trees" on my 2 acres at the moment are 9 flowering bushes. I have plans to plant fruit trees in the spring! But across the road is Mohican State Forest, so I went for a walk to see what actually was growing there.

I went for a walk down the road and identified Sassafras, Red Maple, White Oak and Red Oak, and at the forest line, lots of White Pine. Afterwards, I researched how to use them. Can't wait to dig up some sassafras roots for tea in the spring! White Pine has a lot of uses, but I took a handful of the needles and brewed some tea. Tastes like you are drinking a Christmas tree! But it has more vitamin C than an orange! Guess that's how our Native ancestors stayed healthy!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  3:53:08 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (#7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“I made over 50% (!) of my decorations this year and even taught a class for kids at our library. We made 3 different ornaments that were "trees." I also do Native American bead work, so my 4 daughters and 4 grand-daughters got homemade jewelry.

I had a lot of fun! My daughters and grand-daughters loved their gifts. I'm going to start NOW to be ready for next year!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  4:28:12 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“In order to earn this badge, I made my own laundry detergent using Fels Napha, washing soda, baking soda, and borax. I also made my own soap. Using vinegar as my primary base and adding essential oils, I made an all purpose cleaner, window cleaner, floor cleaner, and toilet cleaner.

My homemade cleaners are delightful! I truly enjoy using them and find I will clean something just so I can smell the essential oils! I want to look into making different ones with similar properties, but smell more seasonal. I am also interested in trying my hand at goat milk soap once we have milking goats and an excess of milk. The laundry detergent, however, is not going to work for us. We have taken our washing machine off the septic and will eventually be using this gray water for our garden - but my understanding is that borax should not be used if that is the plan.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  4:31:08 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“With moving to a high desert, we were extremely interested in finding ways to collect and use gray water for our future garden. While we eventually hope to build a more elaborate rain barrel system,at this point in time we have a simple rain barrel system of rain/snow going from the gutters into the barrels. For now, since it is the wrong season for a garden, that water is used to rinse off our boots and water my house plants.

We have also taken our washing machine off the septic and set it up to collect the gray water.

The hardest part about our system right now is what to do with all the water. It is not advised to keep water for months on end, so we are not sure what to do with it all. In addition, everything is freezing right now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  4:32:52 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“In order to figure out my household's water usage for a month, I used the website home-water-works.org, since we are on well water. The numbers were staggering, coming in at about 466.6 gallons A DAY! In order top reduce this number, we started reducing the number of showers we take, started re-wearing our pajamas so that the number of loads of laundry decreased, fixed a leak in the toilet, reduced the loads in the dishwasher, and decreased the amount of water we were using outside by washing our car with rain water/snow (we live down a dirt road, so they get REALLY dirty. When I recalculated, it said we use 224.7 gallons per day... so much better!!! Still probably too high, but we are a family of nine...

Earning this badge has been an eye opener! I am looking forward to seeing how else we can reduce the amount of water we use, or at least reuse the water we are using!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  4:37:17 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“Earning this badge took quite a bit of research...

We have a couple different types of insulation - looks like rolled in the walls, blown in the attic, and only part of the floors are insulated, which is also rolled.

Our windows are double pane, single sliding. These are known for air leakage and drafts, and boy do they leak air! For right now we have covered them with a plastic material on the outside to help insulate them.

The power company does not offer any rebate or credit for upgrading the insulation in our home. Be that as it may, we plan to update over the years to come.

Earning this badge helped us see what areas we need to work on overtime. Eventually we will probably replace the windows, and we will be adding insulation to the floor via the basement. We will also be updating the insulation in the attic. The walls, other than in the basement, will be left alone.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  4:40:28 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“Our family volunteered our help at a local goat farm. We helped put up fencing, milked the goats, trimmed their feet, moved mulch, weeded the blueberry patch, and so much more. We went every Monday for over three months.

I know we were a help to the farm, but even more so, the experience helped our family! We learned so much and built a wonderful bond!!! We miss her so much! (We have moved away).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  4:43:50 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“Sadly, my oldest living immediate relatives are my parents. Though I am only in my thirties, all of my grandparents have passed. I still miss them terribly!!!

Anyways, I enjoy talking to my parents about their past and what they remember. My mom's side of the family was/is Old Order Amish. My grandmother left the church after joining, and therefore was shunned. I have had the pleasure of meeting and fellowshipping with some of my cousins that are still part of the Amish faith. This past Fall my aunt blessed me with my great grandmother's black Amish bonnet. It is something I treasure and will pass along to my children and/or grandchildren.

My son actually has gotten my dad to speak more about his past than I ever have, especially when it comes to the Vietnam War. He was a Marine Combat Engineer, and was shot twice during the War, and as such became medically retired.

I enjoy learning more about my parents' past, but have found it difficult to really learn much. Instead, I have found that they are very closed to sharing too much information... be it due to their upbringing/generation or they just don't remember or know much.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  4:45:25 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“Unfortunately my parents were unable to help me much at all with information about my ancestors. However, with that said, I discovered quite a bit of information for both my and my husband's side of the family via familysearch.org It is a great website to research - and it is free.

I have thoroughly enjoyed researching our family heritage. I'm German, Swiss, Irish, and multiple Indian tribes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  2:50:37 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“After learning more about my German side of the family for the "Know Your Roots" badge, I decided I should take the time to learn some German myself. Luckily, my husband has been to Germany multiple times and can speak some, and a dear friend of ours is German. With their help I have started learning some German.

My favorite saying is Good Morning or Guten Morgen, which I say on a regular basis. One thing I learned is that Germans prefer a handshake and eye contact, which I could see being an issue here in the United States with the mass majority of the people.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  2:55:39 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“The influential German that I researched was Martin Luther. He is renowned for standing up against the Catholic church, and its errors in beliefs and teachings. He is considered the initiator of the Protestant Reformation.

I have learned numbers one through ten, good morning, bye, How are you?, please, thank you, and I'm sorry.

There are two major blessings to working on this badge. The first is that it helps teach me the language much of my mom's side of the family speaks on a regular basis (they are Amish). Secondly, it has opened a new door to an already close friendship with a dear friend who is from Germany.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  3:02:07 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I chose Queen Elizabeth II. She was born in London England on 21 April 1926. She is the world's oldest monarch and is the longest reigning monarch in 1200 years! She has seen and dealt with a lot of ups and downs in her life!

I admire Queen Elizabeth II greatly. Life has really been hard on her at times, yet she stays true to her beliefs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  3:08:27 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“Our family already eats quite a bit of fruits and vegetables, so adding more in was a little difficult. However, the ten ways we incorporated more was in spaghetti sauce, using spiraled vegetables instead of pasta, adding another vegetable to our dinner rather than a starch/grain, frittatas, breakfast casseroles, soups, omelets, fruit salads, salads, and fruit pancakes (such as apple, pumpkin, or butternut).

I have sprouted lentils and added those on salads, as read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle." Our oils include coconut oil, occasional avocado oil, and olive oil.

The hardest part of this badge for me as reading the book ... it took a lot of stopping and starting to finish it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  3:26:51 PM  Show Profile
Jill Yelland-DeMooy (#6748) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I learned a lace stitch to do this cardigan that I made for the expert level badge. I also knit it top down which was rather interesting, it meant that you had the whole thing in your lap by the time were nearly done, so I was glad I wasn’t trying to finish it in the summer. The advantage was that there was very little sewing up to be done. The cardigan probably took well over a hundred hours as the yarn is relatively fine and there were quite a few stitches on the needle.

I also made a sweater for a Barbie for a grandchild. I hadn’t tried knitting anything quite so small. You made the whole body as one piece and then inserted the sleeves, sewed up the sleeve seams, then picked up the neck stitches, and knit the neck edge. After all that was in place you sewed up the back seam, and sewed in a small snap in the back neck.

I have taught a couple of adult friends to knit at a craft evening that I host as well as a number of 4-H woolcraft members.

I’m really pleased with the cardigan, I like the plainness of the body, with the touch of lace at the yoke. I think it will be something that I wear a lot.

Barbie is also really pleased with her sweater and is just waiting for a pair of jeans to go with it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  3:33:18 PM  Show Profile
Jill Yelland-DeMooy (#6748) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“I collected up 6 UFO’s, most of these are knitted projects where the knitting was finished, but they just needed blocking and/or buttons sewn on. My husband needed an item for a warm clothing collection at his gym and I had a scarf in there that just needed to have it’s ends woven in. That maybe took me a whole two minutes. I also finished my cardigan for the expert knitting badge. It had been sitting waiting for the finishing for a couple of months. I blocked it and then sewed on the buttons and wove in all the ends. That took me a couple of evenings, but I am really pleased with how it looks now that it is finished. I have posted the picture of the cardigan in Merit Badge chit chat.

I am really pleased with getting a couple of UFO's finished and out of the way. I'm going to set a goal for myself to finish up some more before starting on any new projects in 2017.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  3:39:41 PM  Show Profile
Jill Yelland-DeMooy (#6748) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“I learned about the following forms of yeast:

Dry Yeast – It looks like small pellets. It is best to proof it with warm water and either some honey or sugar for 10 minutes before mixing it in with the rest of your ingredients.

Instant Yeast – It looks like a fine powder. You can mix it in and used it without proofing it. It may not be 100% yeast as there may be additives.

Fresh Yeast – Looks like an eraser and is crumbly. You can use it right away without proofing it. It is 100% yeast.

Engyvita Yeast – It is an inactive form of yeast used as a nutritional supplement, grown specifically on beet molasses.

Brewers Yeast – Brewers Yeast is made from a one celled fungus and is used to brew beer. It has been used as a nutritional supplement for years. The form used as a supplement is a by-product after the production of beer.

I made French bread using dry yeast. I proofed the yeast for 10 min with sugar and warm water before adding the rest of the ingredients. I altered the recipe and used 40% multigrain flour and 60% unbleached white flour. This is a favourite of our family, especially with a hearty soup for dinner. Add picture (on camera).

I made a whole wheat loaf that I have made frequently. This one also used dry yeast.

I remade the French bread with baking soda. Unfortunately, while my husband tried it, that was the only piece that got eaten from this loaf. It was not even comparable to the French loaf using yeast. The chickens got to finish it off. It was much heavier and the flavour wasn’t as good either.

Making bread is something I really enjoy and do most weeks. I much prefer the yeast breads to those made with baking soda. The flavour and texture are so much better. The photo is of the French loaf made with baking soda.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  3:42:38 PM  Show Profile
Jill Yelland-DeMooy (#6748) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“I had tried making sourdough “mothers” in the past, but they never really worked well. They either overflowed all over the counters, or tasted bad or didn’t stay alive. However I really wanted to give it another go. I used a recipe from Jean Pare’s bread recipe book and it has worked beautifully. I have made it once a week for the past four weeks and each week it has developed more of a good sourdough flavour.

I am also gluten free and I bought a sour dough culture from Cultures for Health. It is quite different from the wheat sourdough. I have also made it for each of the past 4 weeks. It doesn’t taste as much like sourdough, but very pleasant. It is also doing a very good job of holding together which is often a challenge with gluten free loaves.

I’m really pleased with the way both of these mothers are working out. My family certainly likes the wheat one and I’m enjoying the gluten free one. I will keep these going.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  3:52:55 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“In a separate calendar year from my Intermediate badge completion, I decorated a full-size Christmas tree using the ornaments from your Beginner Level, but this time decorate the entire tree in your own hand-made ornaments, made ALL the Christmas presents that I give.

I can honestly say I am glad to be done. It was a year's worth of frenzied crafting. I posted photos of most everything in the chatrooms. Some of the ornaments on my tree were made by my mother and grandmother.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  4:06:30 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (#7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I've been wanting to organize the cupboards since moving in with my son and his family! They moved in two years ago. My daughter-in-law, Brandy, laughed and said before they moved she had gone through the bowls and lids but she thought the wrong box made it to the new house because she can never find a lid! Wanting to start the new year out with a better organized kitchen, I spent all of Saturday afternoon taking everything out of the cupboards and sorting/matching up everything.

This turned out wonderful! I threw away a whole pile of lids! Got a new set of glass bowls with lids washed and put away. Then I kept going and did the pots and pans too! I am going to attach hooks to the cupboard door for the pan lids. I found an old refrigerator crisper compartment to store the lids in for the bowls. Now we can actually find what we need!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  4:25:10 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (#7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I can't believe that at my age I've never made buttermilk! I had a new recipe that called for a cup, so I googled "can milk be substituted for buttermilk" and got directions to make my own. I used lemon juice and it worked great!

I've been wanting to learn how to make my own mozzarella cheese, so I'm excited to start this merit badge. Thanks for the motivation!

I was making German Kringlas. Besides buttermilk, the recipe called for baking powder and baking soda, so I researched that too! (I'll have Bread Making done soon!) The dough is hard to work with (even after putting it in the freezer for an hour!) but they tasted good! Also used a new spice that I had never heard of - cardamom. Now on to making cheese!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  3:29:53 PM  Show Profile
Marie Bostwick (MarieBee54, #7185) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“I spent some time thinking about emergencies that might impact our family, including personal medical emergencies and natural disasters - earthquake being the most likely in that category. Then my husband and I talked about how we ought to respond in each instance.

Since we are new to this area, we picked a rallying point in case of an earthquake that would mean we had to get out of our apartment building. We also figured out the nearest hospital and made sure we had phone numbers for our family doctor in our wallets.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  3:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Marie Bostwick (MarieBee54, #7185) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“Having established that the most likely natural emergency we would face is earthquake, I prepared 72 hour kits for both our apartment and to keep in our car. I also printed made emergency contact cards for both my husband and myself to keep in our wallets.

Knowing that if "the big one" ever hit our area, it could be many days before help arrived, I determined that it might be necessary for us to walk out of the area. Because of that, our emergency kit has supplies for either sheltering in place for three days, or hiking out, including drinking water and portable personal water filters, emergency rations, sleeping bags, personal care items, first aid kit, crank flashlight and radio, Swiss army knife, extra socks, work gloves, etc. I went quite a bit farther than what I saw suggested online but it feels good to know we can are ready to take care of ourselves should the worst happen. But I have also realized that we will need to update our emergency plan when we move to our new house, where the most likely emergency would be fire that could require a rapid evacuation.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  3:39:17 PM  Show Profile
Helen Ettlin (Grandma Helen, #7130) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Over several years, I have acquired about forty cloth bags. About thirty of these bags reside in the trunk of my car for shopping days.

Since moving to Missouri, I have been shopping at Aldi’s (they out-Walmart Walmart…yay!) where no shopping bags are provided. You either take your own bags or dump everything into your vehicle loose.

Since we keep them in the car, they are pretty available whenever we go shopping. On the occasion when my husband has the car with the bags, I recycle the store plastic bags into doggy poo bags or cat litter bags ... I haven’t found a reasonable non-leaking alternative for those yet.

The nice thing about having so many bags is that I have no hardship giving one or two away if someone else needs them. My husband says he is pretty sure they multiply in the trunk when it is closed anyway.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page