Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  3:49:18 PM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“My goals were to: Walk 10,000 steps a day with an 80% average for the month

1. additional activity per day.

At the end of the month I should have over 224,000 steps. But, I only logged 196,632 so 70%.

I lost steps on the weekends I went to my boyfriends & didn't have my Fitbit on me.

Only got in 7 extra activities during the month.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  3:53:54 PM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“I made 33% of by boyfriend's gifts. I made a wooden bread board for him to slice his homemade bread.

I made 100% of the other gifts I at given at his family Christmas (mine went to Hawaii so we didn't give gifts).

I gave his mother 2 small runners for a little nook area. I gave an longer runner as my exchange gift with the ladies.

I own a B&B so I don't put up Christmas decorations. I did make a punched tin lumary series to have out Christmas eve evening.

This turned out really good! Didn't finish the cutting board until I found the correct oil to finish it with. Can't seem to remember to take a picture of it so I just am submitting this.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  3:57:38 PM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I had purchased a embroidery pattern to make for my mother. It was a small sampler.

I had always been afraid to try it. I found a Readers Digest book at the library so used that for the stitches. Got it done in time for Mothers Day!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  4:17:23 PM  Show Profile
Lori Day (#4829) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“My brother wanted an apron for his birthday so when he BBQed with the guys he look fancy. So, I made this one for him and took it to a shop to have the Captain Caveman embroidered on it. He loved it.

He said it looked professional.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 01 2015 :  4:06:44 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Pierson (MossHillFarmMomma, #6269) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I started to read the labels of the products of the items I buy at the grocery, looking for recycled packaging. I compiled a book of DIY green cleaning products and purchased essential oils and other ingredients for natural house cleaners. I started using Seventh Generation dish soap instead of Dawn. I continued to use my shopping bags and started buying less processed food.

I really enjoyed learning more about use of essential oils and DIY green cleaners, reducing packaging, and other ideas to promote a greener environment. I realize that I need to make a set of smaller grocery bags to accompany my larger bags. I keep all of my research notes in a journal.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 01 2015 :  4:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Pierson (MossHillFarmMomma, #6269) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I bought a three bin stacking organizer. I taught my family how to participate in our household recycling efforts. We recycled for a week.

I love the bins! We have more cardboard than anything else I noticed. I have tried to reduce my purchases with excess packaging. I do not have curbside recycling. We have to sort the items and place them in a community collection trailer. I learned that I need to come up with a routine for this.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 01 2015 :  4:13:39 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Pierson (MossHillFarmMomma, #6269) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Our family has been recycling for a month, all members contribute to this effort. I have recruited my mother to start recycling in her household.

Our community collection trailer is removed every Saturday morning and returns sometime on Monday. I have a hard time getting my items to the trailer during the week,with my work schedule, so my bins overflow at home. I will need to set a schedule.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 01 2015 :  4:20:06 PM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I compared checklist of basic sewing kit to my own collection. Assembled the other suggested items.

I practiced seams when doing tests on the sewing machine for setting the tension based on thread & fabrics. Regular, French and flat fell seams.

I realized I had everything for the sewing kit plus. Just didn't have then in one place.

Really couldn't evaluate my French seams since batik and flannel aren't really the fabrics you need that with. The flat fell seams looked right just not really great!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 01 2015 :  4:24:55 PM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“Froze squash, broccoli and tomatoes.

I didn't finish this badge in the fall because I freeze my tomatoes. Then it waited longer again because I knew I was getting a Kitchen Aid for my birthday. I got my Kitchen Aid and was able to process a batch of sauce.

Squash - easy, bake then freeze.

Broccoli - hard!! Blanching was a disaster! To defend myself, I do believe the broccoli was past prime for freezing. It had blown. I ended up with a mushing mess of broccoli buds.

Tomatoes - OMG! I have frozen my tomatoes and "gutted" them to help with the mess of the food mill. It was so quick with the Kitchen Aid. My limited factor was not arm power but colander space. I now know I can process all my tomatoes in a single day if I get them all thawed out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 01 2015 :  4:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level
Quilting Merit Badge!

“Made a confirmation stole for my god daughter.

Her older sister got confirmed last year. I noticed some of the other confirmands had sports and hobbies on their stoles. I asked my god daughter what she wanted and it was swimming and basketball.

I asked mom to take her to a paint store and pick out at least 2 main and 1 secondary color chips for me to work off of. I chose tomato red, turquoise and peach!! OMG, the nightmare of putting that together.

Found fabric amazingly! Then had to figure out a pattern. Which isn't something you can buy.

So I used a French Curve to place pieces on muslin. I sewed down the raw pieces. I then hide the stitching and raw edges with ribbon.

Since the child never got me her chosen verse, I wasn't really able to put some wow to this. She had also lost interest in basketball and swimming.

For the machine quilting in the main sections, I did grapes and wheat. I made abstract designs of the date and her initials. I also included various other religious symbols: shell, angel, Chi-Rho, anchor, candle and dove.

I thought it turned out kind of a fun challenge. It would have been disastrous without finding a fabric line in the colors she choose.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 06 2015 :  3:24:43 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I started my blog a few years back but didn't really keep it up. I wanted to blog about the simple things in my life to try and make more of my life simple. I have continued to do so but haven't been blogging it.

I joined girl gab in the last week or so and I am hoping to keep up my blog better. This week I am starting a new project with our camper trailer that I hope to add pictures to my blog about my projects making it a better living space for our family.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 06 2015 :  3:38:11 PM  Show Profile
Becki Pope (#2389) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I learned how to crochet when I was probably 8. My mom taught me. I am left handed and mom is right so it was interesting...Needless to say I am a right-handed crocheter! I have made some rugs from old t shirts and other clothes. This is different then using yarn because it is much bulkier and you have to watch how it is rolling. I have enjoyed cleaning out closets and making these cool rugs! I will say, it takes longer to cut up the shirt and roll into balls then it does to make the actual rug!

They have turned out great!!! I have made a handful of them and have given as gifts. I am working on one that I want to be large enough to be an area rug! They do get heavier the bigger they are though. But everyone loves them and I keep getting people giving me bags of their old t shirts now!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 06 2015 :  3:45:06 PM  Show Profile
Becki Pope (#2389) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have actually been working on this badge the past few months, maybe 6? I have been looking for buttons everywhere! I have found some in my moms sewing stuff that she had forgotten she had. Goodwill, yard sales, church rummage sales, and even was given a bag of old stuff and found a tin full of them! It has been fun and I think I have a new addiction!

I have put all of my buttons into mason jars. I have 3 quart jars full! I just couldn't leave them in a tin or a bag, they needed to be seen and admired! I love looking through them because I always find some that I didn't know I had. (On the finished date, that's just today. I don't think I will ever be finished collecting these treasures!)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 06 2015 :  3:48:30 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (#5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made several aprons from old pillow cases, decorated them with some old doilies and made waist bands from patterned fabrics, matching some to the bottom of a few of the aprons.

I wear aprons in my kitchen whenever I am cooking or baking. I like the full aprons but use the half aprons mostly for gifts.

The half aprons were very pretty and made simple but special gifts for several friends.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 06 2015 :  3:50:35 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (#5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“These are the types of aprons that I enjoy wearing. Maybe it is because I get flour all over when baking breads, or making pies. I have made some special aprons for friends and family. Recently I helped my granddaughter, almost 13 years old, sew a full apron. I wore one of my aprons to her house, and we enjoyed an apron day, making her apron, wearing mine and looking at some of my others, and having lunch that her mom made for us.

Alorah's apron turned out wonderful. My latest apron was fun to do, and I like the pattern. I also enjoy the print which I purchased at our local quilt shop, The Hickory Stick, in downtown Hannibal. It is one of the 10 top quilt shops in the nation. Both aprons are nice and I believe we will both enjoy them for years. It also built wonderful memories for us both.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 06 2015 :  3:52:38 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (#5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“My apron is not that frilly, and I do have some frillier ones, but the most recent apron I made has such a lovely print...it has aprons all over it. It makes it special to me, an apron lady. I also made one for a friend for a Christmas gift, so have not given it to her yet. As far as wearing it. I wore it to my families home today, 4/20/15, but I wore it to my knitting circle last week after finishing it. I told them I was working on my Mary Jane Farm merit badges.

The apron turned out well. I like the black bias tape on the edges which make the fabric "pop" even more. I also like the fitted sides and back. It is almost like a dress coverlet. I believe this apron will be worn lots. However, I do have some others I like just as well, simply made, but pretty prints. I even take my aprons, a few, in my camper to wear when cooking over the campfire.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 06 2015 :  4:22:24 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn Hartman Sullivan (#6318) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“To earn this merit badge, I watched the trailer for the Vanishing Bees movie. I have been planting my garden, and included several things that the bees like, including phlox, sunflowers, sweet peas and zinnias. I also read Secret Life of Bees.

It's early in the gardening season to see how many more bees I will have from the things I have planted from seed. I have always planted sunflowers wherever I had the dirt and the bees make a regular chorus of hum around them. And of course sweet peas draw bees. I wanted to put in some plants to help anchor the soil behind a new retaining wall, so I chose phlox -- not just for looks, but also because I knew that their faux-lilac fragrance would be irresistible to my honey-making friends. I got three nice mounding plants of phlox and so far they are doing quite well. A couple of pieces broke off during planting, so I have put them in water and have them on the counter in my bathroom -- so far they are holding up well and perfuming the room nicely! I read Secret Life of Bees with a ladies' reading group. I am not a huge reader of fiction, but as part of a group there was plenty to discuss. I especially enjoyed the rhythm of Kidd's writing and the way she evoked an actual feeling of the South -- that's not easy to do.

As much as I hated running through the front yard full of clover and getting stung by a honey bee on the heel (caught between my flip-flops and my little bare foot!), as an adult I am so much more forgiving of their little stingers, since what they give us is so well worth it. Thank you, Buzzy Bees!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 06 2015 :  4:40:13 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“This year I am planting my entire garden with heirlooms with the only exception of corn. We are trying some heirloom varieties but swaying my husband on the non-merits of GMOs is much harder than I thought. He is a scientist who very much believes that making plants stronger through science is better. I am working on him though. Our tomatoes are much tastier than their hybrid options. I also have sent seeds along to family and friends that have interest.

I love our food and the confidence it gives me that my family is eating well. I have also improved my gardening skills over the last few years as I have learned about heirlooms and the benefits of organic gardening. Working through each step of this badge has been so educational over the last few years. I am so glad to have converted my gardening practices.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 06 2015 :  4:46:42 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“Living in Montana there are plenty of horses to look at. My favorite horses are buckskins. I love their colors. This last weekend we went and met two horses with my daughters's troop. They were learning how to brush and care for them. They also taught the girls how to act around horses, including how fast to move, how not yelling is a good idea, and how to not get injured when moving around horses.

We had a good time. I spent a lot of time around horses as a teenager but haven't really been close to them in the recent past. It was nice to watch them and remember proper horse etiquette.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 06 2015 :  4:53:15 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First-aid Merit Badge!

“This badge took awhile to get done. We have 3 bathrooms, two vehicles, the garage, and a camper. That is a lot of first aid supplies to buy. I made each one a little different depending on where the kit is. The camper definitely the biggest first aid kit. The car kits have motion sickness pills in them. There are now fire extinguishers in the camper and the kitchen. I replaced all our smoke detectors last year and they are all operating well.

It is nice to know I can care for my family no matter where they are hurt. The camper kit is in a very portable case so it can get thrown in a car, the camper, or in the house during the winter so nothing in it freezes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  3:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Beth Lohman (cntybuff, #2591) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“So excited to make this apron. As I am not a sewer it took me a bit longer than most even though it was a kit. Just don't look to close.

I love it and am wearing it all the time!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  3:25:12 PM  Show Profile
Beth Lohman (cntybuff, #2591) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“Received two beautiful chickens for my birthday last October. Have been learning a lit about how to take care if them and improving their pen.

I love having chickens. So does my granddaughter. We love watching them free range in the backyard. I haven't had to buy eggs in months!!! Ready to add a couple more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  3:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Beth Lohman (cntybuff, #2591) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“Bought a book and looked up information on five herbs. OK maybe more than that but will stick to top 5 I liked. Sage, lemongrass, lavender, spearmint, rosemary. Since I happen to have lavender in my yard so I looked up some recipes and tried them. Lavender lemonade and lavender jelly.

The lemonade was fantastic. The jelly was different but good. Not what you would expect. The leaves made it darker than I expected.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  3:36:06 PM  Show Profile
Joanna Green (Joanna, #5965) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I used a book called Outdoor Canada and the website www.allaboutbirds.org. I was also very excited to find the website ebird.org where you can look at sightings of various birds on a map (anywhere in the world). In southeastern Ontario, I found at least 9 species in the waterfowl, seabird, and shorebird category; 42 species in the perching bird category; 5 species in the birds of prey category; 3 species in the hovers and climbers; and 7 other kinds of species. I am sure there are a lot more than these, which I hope to discover eventually! Out of all of these birds, the following made my wish list: eastern kingbird (which is suppose to be quite common), purple martin (also quite common in my area), bobolink (a few seen in my area), scarlet tanager (a few sightings in my neighbourhood), rose-breasted grosbeak (very common, I saw one a long time ago), and belted kingfisher (fair amount of sightings in my area).

I enjoyed doing the research for this badge, and I found out in the process that there is what is considered a "hot spot" for bird sightings just a few minutes from my house. I hope to utilize that area to complete my wish list!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  3:41:58 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn Hartman Sullivan (#6318) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I kept a daily gratitude journal for a month and read an entry from The Book of Awesome every day for a month.

I had done gratitude projects before. Every November there's a Gratitude Project on Facebook, and I have participated in that. So when I got ready to do this one, I wanted it to be a little differently.

In the first place, I decided I wanted the journal itself to be a little different. I thought about a pretty notebook. I thought about decorating a plain notebook. I thought about journaling on the computer. Then as I was carrying a box of paper from my desk to the recycling bin, a little lightbulb clicked on over my head! All the envelopes and unsolicited faxes, etc., etc., etc. that come through the office daily -- I could use those! So I started by cutting up some envelopes from my recycle box and used one piece every day to write down my little grateful thoughts.

I tried to think of small things to be grateful for, as The Book of Awesome focuses on the tiny, rather than the obvious. I mean, I think we are all grateful for our health, and we should be, but I wanted to exercise my gratefulness muscles in a new way.

I began by trying to see something new on my morning walk every day. The little new violets blooming in the lawns here in town...the high school kids doing a clean-up project around the senior housing...the smell of coffee coming from the coffee house in the middle of the block.

I found that the more I looked for the tiny, the more I found to be grateful for. We have been doing a big remodeling project at home and the day that we got home and found that the electrician had installed the light switches!!!!! That was a fabulous day of gratefulness. Those little things all add up.

One of the high points of my month was a week or so ago. I had been thinking about how much more alert to the "good" I had become through the course of keeping this journal. My mind was wandering over all the wonderful and very small daily surprises that I have always enjoyed but maybe had not recognized. A cousin posted a picture on Facebook of the daily offering of a local bakery and I thought "Wow! I really LOVE that bakery smell that comes out into the street and you can smell it when you walk by." The very NEXT MORNING, that was the topic in The Book of Awesome! So I was grateful for the little drops of coincidence that make life so interesting.

I am rattling on here, but this has really been a fun month of gratitude for me.

You can see from my picture that each individual day of gratitude grew to become a "lovely" flower! Something to remind me that you never know what will grow if you plant the seeds of gratitude.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page