Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  4:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate & Expert Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“For the beginner part of this badge I became the parent-teacher liaison for my daughter's preschool/daycare. I attended board meetings and worked with parents and teachers to make sure all were satisfied with the school. I have now held that position for 3 years and this fall became the chairperson of the board. I spend time every month with the board and the teachers. I also work with the preschool coordinator as well as fund raise for scholarships for the kids that could benefit from the school.

We are currently growing our preschool into a full daycare from infant to after-school programs for kids. It is a much needed program for our area. We have so many little ones that need safe education and care. It has been a huge blessing to have this preschool/daycare in my family's life that helping them out has been a great way to help them back. I love knowing I am helping families in our community.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  4:38:21 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I am applying for the Beginner and Intermediate levels of this badge. In this area we can grow carrots, onions, turnips, beets, radishes, and potatoes. I found all of these in the store but only the potatoes were locally grown.

I usually grow carrots and onions in my garden but last summer I grew beets, radishes, and parsnips. I tried sweet potatoes one year but they never got bigger than my finger.

We love growing, eating, and storing our own food so adding new vegetables was fun. I liked the parsnips but my family thought they were bland. The beets were only appreciated pickled. The radishes were for me as my family knows they don't like them.

In researching edible roots in Montana I found there is a prairie parsnip farther to the East and a lot of wildflowers. I know most of the wildflowers and vegetation around my home from numerous hikes and backpacking trips so I was surprised to find that a lot of well known flowers have edible roots. Here we are fined for picking wildflowers so I have never thought to pull up their roots but in a pinch it is nice to know that some of my favorite plants out there could be eaten if the need arose.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  4:42:40 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I worked on this badge in January along side my seven year old who was learning about origami for an American Heritage Girls badge. We looked into the beginnings of origami and how special it was not only for the folding but also for the rareness of paper. I started with a crane then tried five or six animals, my favorite was a parakeet. Then I tried a square, a heart, and a cube. For the last part I folded a tulip and two different roses. The tulip took two pieces of paper, one for the flower and one for the stem.

My daughter and I had a great time learning about origami and trying new patterns. My daughter made some throwing stars for her boy cousins. She sent a penguin to her pen pal and kept a few more on her desk for awhile. I have my parakeet on my desk and a turtle on my piano. I always enjoying learning things and learning with one of my daughters makes it that much better.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  1:36:55 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Build it Green Merit Badge!

“I recycled an old window to use as a picture frame in my front room. I painted it red to go with my pillows. I shared the pictures with our club (Simple Times Farm Girl Club.)

I have my grandchildren in the frame for all to see. It looks really good plus I recycled.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  1:45:22 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Knotty Farmgirls Merit Badge!

“At one of our meetings, we learned how to tie a variety of knots. WE learned how to tie a square knot, bow knot, and a two half hitch knot. We then build a swing with a board using our newly learned knots.

I hung my swing in the tree and the grandchildren loved playing on it on Easter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  1:48:45 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I made two of my granddaughters(ages 2 and 4) small quilts for their birthdays with Frozen material.

The girls loved them so much.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  1:51:39 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“I made at least 25% of my Christmas 2013 gifts. I made recipe books, Cross and initial plaques, and glass blocks for all my daughters and my daughter-in-law.

Everyone loved their gifts and have asked what I am going to make for Christmas 2014.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  2:01:29 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn Hartman Sullivan ([#6318) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I collected my reusable bags for grocery shopping and have been using them for some time.

I have been using sturdy reusable bags for shopping for some time. I generally have had at least one insulated bag to make sure that my cold stuff stays cold all the way home during our warm summer weather here. Also, the plastic bags that come from the grocery store have become more and more flimsy, so the fabric bags are just better all around -- having nice handles that won't break is another good reason to use them.

My bags have come from a variety of sources. Any time I go to a trade show (I work in the automobile sales business) the vendors hand out bags with their advertising on them. I always make sure to keep them so I can use them for my shopping or whatever.

I have also knit and crocheted shopping bags. I have one little bright yellow one that is nice and expandable that I like for produce. We have a great Amish farmer's market in town, and my little yellow bag sees lots of good use during the summer, but will squish up nice and small when it's not in use.

I am attaching a picture of my little family of bags -- I try to get them right back out to the car as soon as I unload them, so that they are always ready.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  2:11:09 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista , #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I went to the Sandy Historical museum and found an old tree book and found a newer copy at the library. My husband and I own a tree farm, and by that I don't mean Christmas trees. I can identify many different types of trees. My favorite trees are Cedars. They grown by streams and rivers. They consume up to 30 gallons of water a day. We also have Douglas firs and Hemlocks.

I enjoy walking through our Forrests and looking at our trees, so this was a very enjoyable merit badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  2:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista , #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Breadmaking Merit Badge!

“I looked up the difference between baking soda and baking powder. We also had a chat about it at our sisterhood chapter meeting. Basically acid, baking powder has two acids which means what you bake will rise for a longer period of time. I made banana bread, popovers and brownies.

My banana bread is made with buttermilk and is light and really moist. The popovers and brownies were yummy.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  5:18:46 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received the distinction of being a Chapter Guru Farmgirl Legend!

“I am applying for the Chapter Guru status. I shared with our members how to make homemade power laundry soap, a simple table runner and how to crackle paint a plaque at three different chapter meetings. Each member made their own at the meetings. They also were given instructions to take home with them. Here is how I did it.

Powder Laundry Soap-
• 1 bar (or 4.5 ounces) of shaved Fels-Naptha bar soap
• 1 cup of borax
• 1 cup of washing soda
Directions
Used a food processer to break the bar soap up into small bits. Then add the borax and washing soda. Stir together for 5 minutes to blend really good. Store in a sealed container with a small scoop.

Crackled Plaque-
Take a board and painted a base coat on it and allowed it to dry. Then take elmers glue and spread it thickly on the board with a paint brush. Add a top coat of paint with a different color. Allow to dry. As the paint dries, the crackles will appear. (The thicker the glue, the bigger the crackles. The thinner the glue, the smaller the crackles.) Take a piece of burlap. Cut it so that there is an inch of board showing on each side. Use black paint to make the letter. Tack the burlap to the board using upholstery tacks. Add a cross. Be sure to add a hanger to the back. On one, I put horseshoes instead of a cross.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  12:44:26 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“For the Intermediate badge I chose to volunteer as a 4-H Adult Volunteer for our county and local club that my children are a part of. To be an adult volunteer for 4-H you have to submit an application, have references, and a background check. It seemed kinda daunting to do, but it really wasn't a hard process with almost everything online now.

I applied to be a screened volunteer and was accepted in May of 2012. I spent the rest of the year helping out in our local club anyway that I could and also with the county dog project at their training nights. The fall of 2013 I was elected to be on the adult advisory board for a one year term for the Dog Project Development Committee that is comprised of the Dog Project 4-H members and their families. I served on the board helping guide the students in making good decisions to make our county dog project a great one.

We also made some huge improvements to our county dog project. One of the improvements was by generating more enthusiasm with having an event to share what the dog project was all about for the public. The kids did an amazing job and were very proud of their accomplishments in the great turnout for the event. We had new families join the dog project that year because of the event. The other improvements were setting goals to promote reinforcement of positive interaction between everyone involved, open communication with the members, and making the meetings more fun for the kids.

Part of my duties on the board was to be at the 6 meetings during the year, attend all dog events for the county, help at the fundraisers, and the dog show for the county. Other duties were to encourage the young 4-H Dog PDC Officers in leading the meetings with parliamentary procedure, be a support to them in planning special things for the group, organizing the fundraisers and other events with the other 2 adult advisers, and making sure we were abiding by the 4-H conduct policies.

I also coached the Junior Dog quiz bowl team for the 2014 Project Bowl tournaments. We had a lot of fun studying about dogs together to prepare for the tournaments and those 4 kids were so inspired and had so much fun that they are now very prominent student leaders in the Dog PDC.

I know I did way more than 20 hours for this badge, but it turned out really well in the end with a lot of positive outcomes for the families involved. For the Dog Project there was a definite struggle and lots of work to turn things towards the positive, but it slowly started to turn that first year. The enthusiasm has been building and I will share more when I apply for the experienced badge!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  12:53:00 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I have been an adult volunteer for 4-H since May 2012. In that time I have grown into my role in numerous ways. As I mentioned in my previous badge application, I have been involved with our local club and at the county level for 4-H. During these years as a volunteer, I definitely picked up on things that needed to be fixed, improved, or added.

Here are 5 of some of the things that I helped with in serving our community better:

1. Make Quiz Bowl fun for the kids.
2. Improving Dog Training Sessions.
3. Making 4-H club meetings more fun.
4. Getting other parents involved as project leaders in our club.
5. Suggesting a better venue for the 4-H performing arts night.

1. When my girls first joined the quiz bowl team, the coach had them meet and go over questions without any fanfare and rarely any kind of method or organization. The kids weren't very excited about it and didn't feel overly prepared for the tournaments. They thought those practices were boring and didn't like going.
The following year when I stepped up as coach the numbers were down and I only had 4 team members to coach. But I was determined to make it a fun time and learn a lot in the process. The kids had a great time and they were so excited about it that they wanted to keep meeting occasionally throughout the year in the "off" season. I loved their enthusiasm and they were so successful in sharing that with other dog project members that our quiz bowl team jumped from 4 to 12 for this year. We had 2 junior teams and 1 senior team participate. It has been a really amazing experience and the kids are representing our county well! In fact in a practice tournament, one of our junior teams took 1st place!

2. For a couple of years there had been grumblings amongst the parents about the dog training sessions and so I suggested that we put together an official survey to send out and get some action points in place from the results. After I put together the survey, we did get back a ton of results and the new adult advisory team has presented some new action plans to make the training sessions better. Time will tell, but things are rolling.

3. Our local 4-h club has great families in attendance, but it was lacking in some of the fun factor for the kids. While the kids were definitely learning how to run a business meeting well, they weren't too excited about coming to the meetings. The other issue was that the kids weren't participating in the meetings as much as they should, so I held a meeting with the 4-H officers in our club and the club leader and we had a brainstorm on how to fix these issues. This year has been a lot of work upfront, but I have to tell you...seeing these kids own the meetings and having the parents rarely need to say much speaks volumes for a little bit of coaching on the front end. They are enjoying the meetings a lot more and definitely have ownership.

4. As always, there is a never ending need for parent participation to help get things done. This year I really wanted to see our local club have more parents step up and be project leaders. We had a sign up sheet and got several new parents going. We also passed a motion of the club funding 1/2 of the cost of project workbook materials to make it more accessible for the kids and parents. We utilized photography books this last meeting and it was great. I'm also happy to report that we have a very enthusiastic Rube Goldberg project leader to help the kids have a blast this summer in their design and implementation. The last thing I did was I put a call in to our county extension agent to talk about support for parents who need project help for their kids. There are things in the works to make project leaders more accessible to families because of this.

5. The performing arts category for 4-H is a fun night of seeing all sorts of acts perform (kinda like the gong show...only no gonging and a positive judge giving helpful feedback and blue ribbons out). Our first year that our kids participated they all played piano pieces, however, the piano that was provided was a miniature keyboard and very difficult to play on. There was no microphones for people who were vocalists and it was just in a regular room instead of on a stage. Our family thought the kids deserved a better situation so that they could really shine, so I contacted the extension agent and we talked about some great solutions. This year they had us in a local high school auditorium with a stage, lights, a real keyboard, microphones and everything! It was a huge improvement! I think all the kids were much more enthusiastic about performing again.

Sometimes all that you need to do is make a call for a change and others you are in up to your elbows making it happen. It is a lot of sweat equity, but making a community stronger in the end is worth it.

Being a 4-H volunteer is very rewarding, exhausting, and fun. I have grown as a leader in our community and have had a blast meeting new people, taking online training, attending meetings with the kids, watching the kids shine and grow, and the best part are all the lifelong friendships we have made. I love being a part of this community of people. I hope that more people take the time to invest in their kids and communities.

40+ HOURS
I think I passed up the 40 hour mark a long time ago! ;) Between all the meetings, events,fundraisers and practices, preparing for practices/meetings and more...I sometimes thought I was in the midst of a full-time job. It was worth it though. Action must happen to produce change! Now it's time to take a short break and charge up for the next big thing!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  12:58:33 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Spirit Merit Badge!

“Last year, my husband, kids, and I went across the street with an Easter Lilly and a dozen of our farm fresh eggs and introduced ourselves. We gave them our contact information and let them know if they needed any kind of help to let us know.

After that initial introduction, the past year has been a whirlwind of fun! From helping them get the lowdown on all the best places in the area for food and shopping, to where the local voting location is, to becoming fast friends ... we have enjoyed our new neighbors and are so thankful to have introduced ourselves that day last year. The husband is best buds with mine and they enjoy brewing beer together, and the wife and I are great friends too and she is one of my newest Farmgirls. We've been trying out different recipes, swapping books, sharing sewing knowledge and even sharing cultures for our ferments! We get together at least once a month for game night and every time anything is going on here or there we are making a hang time out of it! We prayed for God to bring us some super neighbors and He did!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  1:10:52 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl Spirit Merit Badge!

“In September of 2012, we had a huge Farmgirl event at my house and one of the items on the list to do was participate in the Dozinky Parade here in town. We decorated our float, got flyers and candy ready, put on our aprons and headed out for some fun.

Getting to the parade with this huge trailer/float was exciting as I had to park at our designated line-up spot and there wasn't an easy way to turn around, so I did a huge turnaround ... with multiple point turns.... stopping traffic and other floats and feeling the heat creep up my neck and face as I maneuvered this long craziness in town...Farmgirl style! I was so glad it went just fine without anything scraping, bumping, or flipping over! I felt very satisfied that I could handle this long of a trailer! The Farmgirls all climbed aboard and when the parade started we had a grand time handing out flyers about MJF and being a Farmgirl along with candy and some people got a peek at some cute chicks in a basket. My dog was even along for the ride. At the end of the parade, we were all hot and sweaty and exhausted, but we handed out the Farmgirl love to hundreds of people!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  1:15:08 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Plant it Forward Merit Badge!

“Last summer a local food bank asked our 4-H club if we would plant some things in our gardens to then bring back to the food bank. Our family took some pepper plants and tomato plants. They were a little late in blooming as we had an off year for tomatoes and peppers, so we didn't end up with a lot to share with the food bank from those plants, so I did share a lot from our regular garden. I shared with them beans, squash, zucchini and cucumbers. Each time we brought produce in, they would weigh it for us. I didn't write it down...wishing I had now, but I'm inspired to do even more for them next year. The woman said they had huge lines every Saturday for their food bank and I'm glad some of our produce went to where it was needed.

I want to do more for this year and our "sister" 4-H club was chatting about possibly setting up a "community garden" that is near the food bank so they could have even more available right there. We'll see what happens this year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  1:20:26 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“What fun it was to try bakeovers. I make a bake over every few weeks and we seem to love them all. We have tried regular biscuit like dough with veggies, meat, and potatoes. We really like the cornbread batter over taco seasoned meat, corn, chiles, and pinto beans. We have also tried a strawberry shortcake type dessert and a peach cobbler with scone batter topping.

My family and friends loved the Mexican style the best. We had fun making it and loved how fast the cleanup was.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  1:23:12 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“Over the weekend I read all about cake decorating on the Wilton website. I have always been amazed by beautiful cakes. I am really excited to try some new techniques for my daughter's cake this weekend.

Reading so much about cake decorating has really helped me gain some confidence with trying to do something new and fancy. I now feel a little braver about making a fancy cake for her.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  1:27:58 PM  Show Profile
Connie Warren (#3392) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“I researched Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee!It was amazing the Number of Visits made by the Royal family to the surrounding Commonwealth Countries!

2,012 Beacons were lit across the United Kingdom with The national Beacon being lit by Queen Elizabeth! 1,000 boats lined up on the Thames for The Diamond Jubilee Pagent! Everyone was encouraged to have lunch with friends and neighbors to celebrate" The Big Jubilee Lunch!"

Jubilee means The anniversary of an event usually marking 25 or 50 years!

I have made a Mary Jane Farm Jubilee Banner! Proudly hanging on my clothesline! I Have planted a Rose Bush in Honor of our Fabulous Farm Girl, Mary Jane! and also have seeds planted for a Garden Tomato In Honor of Mary Jane's Farm Jubilee! A Tea Party is Planned May 1st in Honor of The jubilee!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  1:37:24 PM  Show Profile
Linda Olivera (#1919) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“1. Jubilee - (n) noun. A Jubilee is a specially celebrated anniversary, especially a 50th anniversary; the celebration of such an anniversary; or a season or occasion of joyful celebration.

I remember attending the 50th wedding anniversary of my maternal grandparents in the fellowship hall of their church when I was about 9. I remember playing with all my cousins while the adults visited. This was many years ago, but I remember it well, and I've included a picture of me and my cousin (l to r) taken at this Diamond Jubilee Celebration. My parents also held an open house for their 50th wedding jubilee at their home in Illinois and many friends and relatives attended. For this special celebration my cousin had baked a copy of my parents' wedding cake and brought the cake layers on the plane with her from California and decorated it before the guests arrived. I have a family picture from this celebration.

2. The British Diamond Jubilee was held to commemorate and celebrate the 60-year reign of Queen Elizabeth II. She is only the second monarch to reach 60 years in her reign. This celebration was 4 days on - from June 2-5; Derby Day was on June 2nd, a Jubilee luncheon was held on June 3rd, and a concert was held on June 4th. The commoners celebrated by flying Union Jacks, and attending street parties with their friends and neighbors - partially to celebrate having days off work. They enjoyed all the pomp and patriotism shown by the flying of the Union Jack flags. On the 5th the celebrations culminate with a memorial service at St Paul's Cathedral, a carriage procession through central London, and flypast by present and former royal air force aircraft.

I posted a few of the things I have planned to celebrate the Jubilee in the Merit Badge thread, but here are the main things:

3. I am making a banner for my porch and an apron for me. I also plan to make a mini fairy garden, with the center being a travel trailer birdhouse. I have made an apron for my neighbor and will make cookies and take them over to she and her husband during the Jubilee dates.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  1:55:02 PM  Show Profile
Lynette McPherson (Aalea, #6300) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I reclaimed 3 pair of my husband's work jeans, made 3 garden aprons and 6 shopping bags.

This worked amazingly well! Not only did I use all of the jeans but I cut off the belt loops, labels and other smaller pockets for use in future projects. The reusable bags were made by opening the seam on the legs of the pants, sewing back together adding a bottom and cutting along the inseam for the handles.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  1:56:12 PM  Show Profile
Lynette McPherson (Aalea, #6300) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I am a board member of the Azalea Park Foundation which runs a local park. I also am the president for the local community theater and the garden coordinator for our school garden in Brookings Oregon.

All my community service hours (6 per week!) are non paid volunteer hours. I've followed my passion which is growing food. With 2 community gardens and one large farm to table school garden....I am kept busy!

The picture shows the first 4 beds or what will be a 40 bed Farm to table school garden!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  2:16:01 PM  Show Profile
Lynette McPherson (Aalea, #6300) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Plant it Forward Merit Badge!

“Each year we grow a large garden inside our hoop house. Our local Food bank has tons of chard and kale donated. I always try to think outside the box and grow something unusual that most food bank visitors don't get. This year it will be sugar snap peas. The trellis are up and the peas have sprouted!!

I plan to donate approx 20 lbs of peas over a 5 week harvest period to our local Food Bank.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  2:21:34 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I decided to make a shaped cake for my daughter's birthday. She requested a pink flower with a yellow center and purple spirals on the petals. I decided to add some trim and petals with the extra icing. I also made my own icing from Wilton's butter cream recipe and added almond extract instead of vanilla. I also used cherry juice for the red/pink coloring for the petals.

I think it turned out well. The kids were excited and the two that don't like chocolate were excited that half of the flower was yellow cake, again with almond flavoring, and the other half chocolate.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  3:31:24 PM  Show Profile
Cj Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I live in a rural area that has quick and easy access to the woods of the San Juan Mountains which are part of the Colorado Rocky Mountains. We also live in an area where there natural wooded areas that are considered “high desert”.

I grew up here so I’ve spent a tremendous amount of time in the woods and mountains and learned long ago the different types of trees and other vegetation. Because logging is a common industry in this area and my husband is a wood turner, I’ve also learned a lot about the differences in the types of woods in the trees that grow here and which are better for building construction, wood turning projects, etc.

Because of my love for the trees that grow in our mountains we decided to plant some of the same in our yard. We have some beautiful Colorado Blue Spruce trees (our state tree) and some clones of quaking aspen trees. It wasn’t until recently that I learned that one way aspen trees grow is by “clones”, meaning they send out runners to start more trees and those in a clone are growing of the same root system. Those in the same clone will have identical characteristics such as leaf shape and size, bark markings, etc. I already had learned a lot about how the spruce and other evergreens grew.

It is also interesting to see how the wildflowers, ferns and other foliage grow in relation to the trees and I love it all! Always have and always will!

As for picking up garbage/litter, that is another always have and always will. If there is glass or aluminum I keep it separate and put in our recycle containers when I get home to recycle. Cleaning up is just part of what I/we do, in the woods, in the mountains and along our road and property.

I love going into our mountains, hiking, camping and just spending time sitting on a rock, wading in the river or listening to the breeze in the tops of the spruce trees and the rustle of the leaves of the aspen trees. We enjoy the outdoors so much and try to take good care of all trees as well as any other vegetation or terrain!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page