Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  12:46:02 PM  Show Profile
Beth LeRoy (BlackHorseFarm, #1159) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I did a lot of reading on Eat Wild website. Plus I have some personal knowledge of the topic. I thought the best way to write about it was on my blog.

http://strawbalegarden.blogspot.com/2010/02/merit-badge-post-whats-your-beef.html

I have tried to eat local and buy beef from our local butcher, I am going to be looking more closely at if it is corn fed or grass fed."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  12:57:33 PM  Show Profile
Juanita Massey (Needy, #1020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I knitted neck scarves, using two strands of yarn (Fun Fur). I did two of these one in black and one in multi-color.

They turned out really cute and every body that sees them wants one."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  1:16:10 PM  Show Profile
Wende Wagner (Wende, #660) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I had the opportunity to meet and greet a number of different breeds last year.
The palomino, like Roy Rogers rode, paints, percherons, belgians, mules and english shires to name a few.
I was most impressed with the draft horses since that is what was on the farm.

I went to the Iowa/ Minnesota Plowing Association plowing contest and to the field plowing for the corn maze in the Fayette County park.
It was amazing to see the horses with gang plows, sulkey plows and walk behinds. Some had two and three horses up. The amish in the local Hazelton community use four belgians for their large plowing, etc equipment. What a sight to see.

This is a photo of the thoroughbred horses at the full size chuck wagon races. It was fast and furious."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  1:25:37 PM  Show Profile
Wende Wagner (Wende, #660) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"This apron is made from a pattern (or directions) from the internet. The original apron featured Valentine fabrics. Since I was late with Valentines I decided to use fun and colorful Easter/Spring fabrics.

Used my treadle machine and a lot of hand sewing went into this project.
Treadles are hard to use. It helped when I read the fragile manual.

This is for my secret sister.. shhh don't tell her.

Not practical for the kitchen, but fun for a hostess, outing to town or a friend's house for a visit."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  1:34:25 PM  Show Profile
Wende Wagner (Wende, #660) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"This was a Halloween swap apron from last year. It was made on my treadle machine. Button hole was done separate. I had a vision for the apron and it had to be just the way I wanted it.

The towel was a challenge, but my Farmgirl swap sister said she liked practical and full aprons. Practical was the towel part. This was my first project on my treadle machine. The seam ripper was my best friend for this project."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  1:41:10 PM  Show Profile
Martha Weichman (Wellswillow Marcie, #1114) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I have chosen to be a driver for Meals on Wheels. We deliver meals three days a week in Penn Yan, NY. That is six hours a week so in the past two weeks we have worked 12 hours. We generally have 14 to 16 clients.

The clients are happy to have someone come with a cheery hello and their meal. On Valentine's Day we took each a little chocolate treat."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  1:53:09 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"I've de-cluttered my kitchen supplies! It's a small space anyway, so it wasn't too bad, but things have a way of creeping in.

I made a list of what I needed and have bought the few items I was missing. The extras were donated to a local charity."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  2:10:44 PM  Show Profile
Molly Greenwood (#789) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"My aunt has been making chrocheted market bags. I love them for putting my toddlers toys in... they magically grow. I also use them for grocery shopping along with some canvas bags I've gotten various places (I've always loved them and jump on any freebies), and a big black bag that our local waste managment was giving away at fair this last year- great for bulky or canned goods.

Our local market gives a five cent credit for every bag you bring- even if you don't end up filling them all. Many department stores, etc are also starting to give credits. It all adds up and I'm thinking of starting to keep track of my savings- then using that to buy more yarn for my aunt to make me more bags!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  2:29:27 PM  Show Profile
Ann Lierz (Ann Bernadette, #847) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"This is a quilt I created for my niece's baby shower. My sister-in-laws threw her a baby shower and everyone there had to make a block. Some created the block there with fabric markers, while others took it home to stitch and mailed it back to me. This was intended for each person to give a sentiment of love to the baby.

The quilt turned out fabulously. The family members were a bit intimidated at first but once started found it to be fun. The new family loved the quilt and use it, which I wanted them to use it instead of saving it. It was meant to wrap him in love and to read as he grows up of all the love his family felt for him even before he was born."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  2:43:09 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I crocheted the cloth pictured in front (sorry I forgot to take separate pictures) for a dishcloth swap. It's in earth tones, and my son likes it because it looks like desert camo. I must say I agree! It took right at 3 hours to complete.

I also taught my daughter how to make the little Tawashi flowers shown in the picture. They're very simple and are great make-up removers!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  2:57:15 PM  Show Profile
Yvonne Hamilton (yquiltsalot, #1074) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"All right, I've been quilting for about 3 decades now, but since I have to start at "beginner" with this merit badge and make a doll quilt--I can do that! The pattern I chose is called Bowtie and I had fun picking out different fabric for the bowties, and adding buttons to embellish it!

It turned out pretty cute and is now hanging in my quilting studio."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  3:12:26 PM  Show Profile
Yvonne Hamilton (yquiltsalot, #1074) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"This quilt is for a friend who is having a baby girl soon. It's always fun to make baby quilts--they are like potato chips, can't just make one! I accessorized this one with a stuffed bear and bunny (one is for baby-to-be's older sister so she doesn't feel left out).

It turned out cute and has already gone to live at it's new home."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  3:22:33 PM  Show Profile
Juanita Massey (Needy, #1020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I quilted a hot mat for Valentines day.

It turned out good and real pretty."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  3:41:12 PM  Show Profile
Juanita Massey (Needy, #1020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have been saving buttons for a good while now and here is the photo of my buttons, I have several jars full.

I love buttons and I collect some every where I go, I also take them off of old clothing when it is going to be recycled. The date I started has long been forgotten, probably some time in the '60s."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  3:54:06 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Flehmer (chaddsgirl, #639) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made this Valentines Day 1/2 apron from a pattern I have used before. I did borrow a heart-shaped pocket from another pattern and added lace in the ruffle to make it more festive. It took the majority of the day to get it done, I worked on it for about 6 hours.

I thought it turned out pretty cute. Not perfect, of course, but I really liked it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  4:07:42 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Montoya (EastTXFarmgirl, #549) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I was surprised to find there is a lot of information on using non-toxic or organic cleansers in the home. Some of the ones I have tried are: baking soda - used in the laundry for freshening and brightening clothes, great counter, tub, shower and toilet cleanser, carpet freshener, the list goes on; vinegar - coffee pot cleanser, fabric softener, window cleanser, odor eater, floor cleanser...; vodka - a great all-purpose cleanser, it can clean floors, windows, tubs, counters, refrigerator, just about any item in the house. It's a great sanitizer too.

I have tried to commit to using these items for the past 6 months. I plan to make my own laundry soap but will not be making a batch of soap until the weather warms a bit. I did switch to a commercial organic/green laundry soap about 6 months ago and I'm very pleased with the results."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  10:49:12 AM  Show Profile
April Johnson (April Showers, #972) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"The book is volume 1 of "Quilting Academy," by Harriet Hargrave. We will go up to and finish volume 6 which teachers say is equivalent to a PhD in quilting. Lol! Here are my hot pads and squares that I cut and sewed together for practice all day."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  11:02:44 AM  Show Profile
Rose Coffman (HorseLady, #965) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"My favorite breed is American quarterhorse, which is the same breed that I have."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  11:03:54 AM  Show Profile
Rose Coffman (HorseLady, #965) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Horse Dreams badge.

"I found the book on amazon and ordered it. My favorite breed is American quarterhorse, which is the same breed that I have."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  11:09:12 AM  Show Profile
Rose Coffman (HorseLady, #965) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Horse Dreams badge.

"I am involved with a local horse rescue called Second Chance Equine, their website is www.secondchanceequine.com. Recently eight horses were rescued and placed in the quarantine barn. I helped for five hours total on three different ocassions to bathe, groom, and apply medication to one horse and on another two visits, I fed, turned out, and cleaned stalls for the eight horses. I was part of a team of other volunteers who helped with the horses. I also regularly do craft items which I donate for their fund raising auctions and I am currently doing a Xmas tree skirt for a auction later this year. I donated a large basket of hand made and purchased items for their chance auction at their annual fund raiser. I know this is in the future, but in April, I will be participating in an annual horse clinic that they sponsor to raise money for the organization, by making and helping to sell food, selling tickets and just generally helping out any way needed.

*This is just a side note--unfortunately 2 horses were sent back to the abusers, and all but one has been adopted*"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  11:31:28 AM  Show Profile
Anne Schmidt (aschmidt, #772) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Tatting badge.

"I learned to tat with a needle. I wanted to tat but could not get the shuttle to click despite lots of help from several dear friends, one who is gone now. My mom found an article in a magazine about needle tatting and we had one of those mother-daughter moments and I learned to needle tat, (she had to learn too because she didn't want one of her five daughters to know how to do a craft she didn't)!

Sorry was digressing there!

Any way I have a four foot tatted lace piece draped some what artistically above my sewing machine on the motto a friend gave me. "Creative Women Have Messy Homes!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  11:35:10 AM  Show Profile
Anne Schmidt (aschmidt, #772) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Tatting badge.

"I made several doilies, book mark crosses, and butterflies with buttons, all quick little things to give as gifts.

I have made several hankies with tatting around them as you can tell I have been at this for awhile, the tatting not the typing!
I have been at it for maybe ten years. I tatted around a hanky for my mother in law. I worked on it in every spare moment the two weeks before the wedding, even giving it to her at the shower unfinished and taking it back to complete it in time for the wedding! The border was about 2" deep and had a fancy cut off corner that was all lace. Each year I tat around a hankie for the school benefit sale. This year it sold for $40."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  11:39:10 AM  Show Profile
Anne Schmidt (aschmidt, #772) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Tatting badge.

"I have made baby booties, it took three of them to get two the same size! Then I used the third one for a pin cushion by putting stuffing in it. I have worked on teaching my daughter to tat though I'm not a good teacher, more the "here, just watch and do it!"

There is just some thing relaxing and therapeutic about hand work in a car, hospital waiting rooms, quiet evenings at home, about any where, and the idea of a project that you can finish! When I had small children my mom sent me a needlework project and told me to work on that and see actual progress!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  11:57:29 AM  Show Profile
Carla Garner (phonelady, #1186) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"Here is my half apron! The significance of this is I – at 46 years old – can finally use a sewing machine! This proves it! For years I have been using power tools to cut wood, drive nails, sand surfaces and so on. And for years, whenever I got near a sewing machine, the bobbin would become a tangled mess. So I would just run away again. It seemed ridiculous that I could use all these power tools and not a sewing machine! I told my Aunt Kathy three weeks ago and she said, “Come on out on the train for a visit. I’ll show you how to use the sewing machine since I have the same one.” One train ride to Aurora, CO, and two fun days later, I knew the secret to the machine! Finally, when I found MJ’s Farmgirl site I decided I wanted to participate. While I was waiting for my registration to go through I spent time working on the apron.

For me, it turned out wonderful! It was sewn on my mom, Judy’s, sewing machine using teachings given to me by her sister, my Aunt Kathy. The pattern is basic because I figured I better start small and because I’m dyslexic. I’m not much for ruffles and such, but I do like old cars and farm machinery! So I used some of the soft sparkley denim that I’d gotten from the local “save-a-pet” thrift and matched it to some nifty 50’s Route 66 fabric I got special and then used a matching color ribbon that I have from an older lady’s stash of ribbons that I rescued.
I am very jazzed at starting and finishing such a task. It took me longer than two hours but I did it!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  12:06:20 PM  Show Profile
Carla Garner (phonelady, #1186) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"Buttons have always been a draw for me. I love all the little shapes, sizes and colors. Better yet, I have found that buttons have a history! So when I inherited my mom’s sewing basket and my dad gave me his “button box,” a tin with mending bits in it, I decided that these little works of art needed to be gathered in one place.

So here it is, an old Folgers jar. I have been using some of the buttons to repair an old quilt I rescued from the local “save-a-pet” thrift, but I am always on the hunt and when I take apart old clothes to use in quilts and the like, I know there will be buttons to add to my jar."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page