Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  11:25:43 AM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addy731, #906) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"Put together a little sewing kit for myself and try to keep things as organized as possible! :-) The pincushion is handsewn by myself and even though it looks like a 4th grader did it, I'm thrilled because its the first thing I've even done without the help of a sewing machine!

I keep my supplies in a little drawer. I'm just beginning to sew and I'm still very intimidated by patterns, so having this little stash of supplies makes me feel like if I ever decide to jump off the cliff of using a pattern, at least supply-wise I'm ready! :-)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  11:35:05 AM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addy731, #906) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"2009 was a very crafty year for me! I've always loved making things for people and anything to do with art. I've always wanted to learn how to knit and have tried several times. I finally learned from a video *ahem* for kids and teens--I'm not ashamed because whatever taught me to knit did just that and I'm jumping into all kinds of projects now!

This particular scarf took me several months because the pattern was very detailed and was kind of exhausting to do. Whenever I worked on it, it was only for an hour or so at a time and usually spaced out a few days. I'd occasionally walk passed it, give it the evil eye, and continue on until I got the nerve to pick it up again. I used a naturally dyed wool which is actually very soft. The scarf has many flaws because it was my first time using a pattern but I still love it!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  11:42:17 AM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addy731, #906) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I've always loved buttons. I'll pull them off old clothes that can't be donated, wacky purses, extra buttons that came with shirts or pants in case another one fell off. I have these visions of making really cool ecclectic outfits for my daughter and myself. (if I ever learn to sew properly) I've got pigs and chickens, itty bitty buttons, giant metal ones, and tons of colors.

I keep my button stash organized by size and color. There are probably over a thousand at least. The pic is only of a few little containers because my Hubby would have had a cow if I got them all out! But, its enough to satisfy the quota for the badge."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  11:49:53 AM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addy731, #906) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"Last summer I made a tee-pee trellis for my pole beans. I used bamboo chutes and twine; did a lot of wrapping and twisting and that's pretty much it!

It was so easy to do and the beans loved it!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  12:02:19 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I kept a gratitude journal for one month.

It was very easy to find things to be thankful for! Sometimes it was hard to choose what I was going to write down."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  12:11:22 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"HISTORY: Our children are now adults with families of their own.
When we were raising our kids we did NOT have a TV until our daughter was in high school.

We spent our evenings reading, playing and singing music, helping our daughter with homework, helping our disabled son with his needs.

People asked us what "we did at night" without a TV . . .we invited them to come over and see!

We played table games, card games, did Bible studies for our kids, craft projects, baking and caring for our animals.

Our kids were able to think for and entertain themselves and were able to identify resources for problem solving and being creative.

We also prepared and ate meals TOGETHER!! We TALKED to each other!

We still do all of the same things and, even though we have a TV, we guard our family time fiercely.

Because our children are adults and our photo albums were lost in a house fire in 1994 there are not photos to share . . . :("
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  12:18:28 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Families Forever badge.

"As stated in beginner application we did not have a TV until our daughter was in high school.

When we did get a TV it was a tiny black and white version that had to be turned on by hand and channels selected by turning the knob by hand.

We had the TV on only for selected programs suitable for our family and ONLY if it did not interfere with other activities.

There was no such thing as renting videos, cable TV, etc. We had established times, in the evenings only . . . and not every evening, when we would watch a particular program.

We did not waste time in front of the TV. Our son has Down Syndrome so our approach with him was different than most children.
Our daughter, who is an adult and with her own family, still maintains the same attitude about not wasting time in front of the TV.

When our family is here we still guard our time in family activities which include:
- reading
- playing, singing or listening to music
- outdoor activities of a wide variety
- craft projects of a wide variety
- table and/or card games
- photography
- sewing
- blacksmithing/welding
- woodworking

(Photos not available of our family growing up due to loss in house fire in 1994)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  12:26:20 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Families Forever badge.

"Our children are grown, our son has Down Syndrome and our daughter lives out of town with her own family.

We guarded our family unit and family time fiercely. There was no TV until our daughter was in high school. She was given privileges of time with friends, outings with church groups, etc. However, she knew when those times were and she knew that our family was of utmost importance.

Our children grew up in a musical, creative and productive environment where they learned they were important members of the family. They grew up in an environment where they were encouraged and assisted as necessary in thinking for themselves, being resourceful, learning good work ethic and learning the value of nurturing relationships with family and other people.

Our son is still a vital part of our family. Our daughter comes home to visit knowing that it will be family!!!

Our kids learned how to:
- cross-country ski
- camp, fish and hike
- "swim" in mountain streams/lakes

Our daughter:
- sang with us in our Christian music
programs, using a microphone
- played the piano
- took care of goats, ducks, chickens
cats and dogs
- learned how to bake

We went on excursions in the Rocky Mountains, including backpacking trips, camping in the Arizona desert, to National Parks, on canoe trips, local museums and historical landmarks.

We still do these things together on a very regular basis. We are on the move and we are resourceful and we are out and about . . . and off our couch!!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  12:36:26 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"I did order ChillOver powder!!!

And I have been looking over recipes in the Ideabook and the Special Recipes Issue of the MJF magazine.

And we did have a "tasting party" of some of the recipes . . . WOW!!!!

And we talked about a LOT of ideas of different things we could do with ChillOver powder!!!

We tried several of the recipes using fruit and the Chocolate & Cayenne Chillover.

WE LOVE CHILLOVER POWDER!!!!

WE LOVED THE RECIPES!!!

WE WILL USE CHILLOVER POWDER!!!!
THANK YOU!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  12:52:39 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"I was tickled with the ChillOver powder that I have been trying to come up with my own recipes.

My first "own" recipe is

PEACH SPICE CHILLOVER!!!

The recipe is on the Farmgirl Connection "Farm Kitchen".

It was easy, using homecanned peaches from our own orchard. Refreshing, yummy and will do again . . .and try variations on the theme

We are sold on ChillOver Powder!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  1:00:41 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"Can't get enough of this ChillOver Powder and ways to use it!!!

Created TWO new recipes:

VERY BERRY CHILLOVER PARFAITS . . . a wonderful dessert for our Valentine's Day Dinner

BUTTERSCOTCH CRUNCH
cool, creamy butterscotch with crunchy nutty topping . . . yummmmmm!!

Recipes are posted on Farmgirl Connection under Farm Kitchen.

The powder is easy to use, is tasty and the results are fabulous!!!

These two desserts were absolutely wonderful, tasty and my family is sold!!!!

We will be making more and I will be creating as many ChillOver recipes as I can!!! And I will order more powder when I'm close to running out!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  1:13:49 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge.

"HISTORY: I have a son with Down Syndrome who is now 36 years old. Because of the learning challenges he had I had to come up with some creative ways to help him learn and grow.
I made soft toys for him, bean bag style, in different colors so that he could learn: colors and how to count fine and gross motor development and eye/hand coordination. His older sister and dad were also involved in helping him use these.

RECENT: Made simple folksy "huggy bears" for giving to kids at Christmas.

Sent a "box of bears" to Pennsylvania to help a church with their Christmas gift project at the request of a MJF Farmgirl.

Teaching a developmentally disabled child is a challenge. It was rewarding to see that these things helped Jeremy learn.
It was also rewarding to see how it drew us together as a family for him.

It was such fun to make the bears to send off for these needy kiddos for Christmas!!!

The picture shows the bears with embellishments. I made mine without embellishments no buttons or other parts or items that could be an issue."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  1:21:15 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Safe Toys badge.

"At the request of a friend and coworker I made a "country" style ragdoll for her to give to her granddaughter.

The doll was a 12 inch cloth doll with yarn hair, embroidered face and handmade dress with pinafore and bloomers and a ruffled bonnet.

The doll was beautiful and I was so very pleased with the finished product.

My friend was so impressed and appreciative. She told me, "if anyone could do this it would be you".

It was an total sucess!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  1:34:16 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Safe Toys badge.

"BABYDOLL RESTORATION AND REBUILDING.
A close friend and Special Education teacher for my son asked me to restore and "rebuild" a babydoll that was hers from the 50s.

This doll's eyes did not work, she had been "snatched bald" and was very dirty, in terrible disrepair and had no clothes whatsover.

It took quite a bit of work to clean her up and get her "surface" restored back to "doll" quality. I removed every tiny little remaining fiber of her hair and replaced it with brand new hair.

I had to take her apart and repair the parts that made her eyes move and reassemble her body and repair damage to her torso, arms and legs.

I made her a new dress with pinafore and bloomers and bought her some new shoes. Her new hair was so beautiful that I didn't want to cover it with a bonnet but did put in bows to match her dress.

This was a tricky and tedious project but she came out absolutely gorgeous!!!

When I carried her to my friend . . . who wanted to pass this heirloom babydoll on to her granddaughter . . she was awestruck at the tranformation.

I took great pride in this project because it was a challenge and the outcome was above and beyond my expectations!!

A TOTAL SUCCESS!!!

ADDITIONALLY: I have made many child-sized aprons in the past 2 years and I have made at least two doll-sized ones to match some custom ordered aprons for daughters of friends."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  1:42:11 PM  Show Profile
Beth LeRoy (BlackHorseFarm, #1159) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I have loved horses since I was a young girl so I always seem to know where the local horses are. I pass two halflingers and a donkey at one house on the way to work. I also pass a boarding facility. My favorites out there are two little buckskins. My last favorites on the way to work are a mare and her foal. The foal is a little sorrel blanket appaloosa. On the way out of town is a standard bred farm. I love to see them out practicing.

I identified some of my favorite horses above. As to why, well, I love the standardbreds because I used to own one. A really sweet breed of horse. I also really love to watch them at the county fair racing. We had some good times at the country fair watching the races. I like halflingers because I am learning how to drive one. They are a nice old bred of horse that is known for it's good temperament.

I own some horses of my own but in the spirit of this badge I will not use them. I'll talk about Bill. Bill is the halflinger I am learning to drive. He is a crabby old man, but he is a blast to learn with. Bill had a crummy life before my trainer got him. Bill was an Amish work horse, unfortunately Amish work horses are not the best pleasure driving horses. When Bill was sold he became a run away and was just put in harsher and harsher bits. Finally my trainer got him and has retrained Bill. He now goes in a simple snaffle. I am having a blast learning how to drive with him.

It was fun to think about the other horses in my life, the ones I am not in contact with all the time. The photo is of Bill."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  1:50:10 PM  Show Profile
Irene Mele (#1027) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I have been crocheting for years, but I just finished crocheting a soap bag. I make these every year as gifts for my friends. I use thick, silky thread from Greece. Then I crochet flowers to sew onto the bag and place a bar of soap in it. I sew a snap on the front to keep it closed. I put them in my drawers to keep my clothes smelling nicely.

It looks so cute. Sorry, but I can't get photos on here as I don't know how. I can mail it to you though after I take a photo of it with my 35mm camera. I don't have a digital camera."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  2:02:11 PM  Show Profile
Shari Dodd (Ms. Hannigan, #1158) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I have a backyard flock of 40 chickens. We let them have the run of our 5 acres, and feed them all the veggie scraps we can get, as well. I cannot currently get organic feed locally, but I do purchase feed with all natural ingredients, and I am reading up on how to grow my own grains for them.

I LOVE having chickens! We made the move from the 'burbs to the woods two years ago, and within 2 months of getting here, I got my first batch of 25 chicks in the mail. We raised another batch of 25 over the fall/ winter last year, and added 18 more from the feed store last spring. We even had one hen set & hatch out 3 roosters, who had a good life until they were big enough to go in the freezer. I love knowing where our food is coming from, and the chickens are great company."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  4:47:50 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Greenfield (BoiseGardenGirl, #1163) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I ordered recycling service from our local trash removal company. I've replaced the laundry detergent and glass cleaner with New Generation products and I use white vinegar, baking soda and Dr. Bonner's peppermint soap for everything else.

I started a green journal- first idea noted; buy all meat from meat counter wrapped in paper, no Styrofoam or plastic wrap.

Simple changes but big impact. Also the house smells wonderfully pepper-minty."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  11:42:39 AM  Show Profile
Daizy Bailes (Daizy, #1093) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have both of my grandmother's buttons from their sewing rooms. No one else wanted them when they passed away and you should see some of these! I think that some are from the civil war era. I have three large butter tubs of buttons.

It's the most awesome pile of buttons you have ever seen... Each grandmother would remove the buttons off shirts, skirts, etc. to reuse. The clothes became rags but buttons were precious and were saved."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  11:52:28 AM  Show Profile
Daizy Bailes (Daizy, #1093) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have many bags and have been using them when shopping for approximately a year now. Sometimes I forget to return them to the car once emptied. My solution is to pack all bags into one and before the milk is put into the refrigerator I run to the car and put bags there. Of course, then I must run back in to put the milk away before it spoils.

Turns out great....Just my way to get it done!!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  12:06:07 PM  Show Profile
Karen LeRoy (Catnana, #1124) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"When I was taking my daughter to OT we would drive by a halflinger farm. Driving to the south to my favorite my book store we pass a field of Percherons and Norwegian fjords.
I particularity like the percheron breed. They are so large and yet graceful. In particular I love the blacks ones.
My daughter owns some miniature horses and a percheron. I enjoy going out to meet them

My daughters Percheron, Abby, took a carrot from my hand and nuzzled me. Then her minis gathered around and wanted some too. I felt like a teenager again, remembering the horses I rode as a kid.
My picture is of Abby waiting at the gate to greet us."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  12:20:10 PM  Show Profile
Shari Dodd (Ms. Hannigan, #1158) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have 10 reusable bags I keep in the back of my car (including one insulated bag) for trips to the store.

Here's a link to the bag I made from a recycled feed bag:
http://www.lifegetsmessy.com/2010/02/feed-sack-market-tote.html"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  12:26:40 PM  Show Profile
Shari Dodd (Ms. Hannigan, #1158) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have switched my dishsoap to Planet, we make our own laundry soap powder from Borax, Washing Soda, and Fels Naptha Soap, and I use Vinegar for EVERYTHING from Counter Spray to Fabric Softener."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  12:27:51 PM  Show Profile
Shari Dodd (Ms. Hannigan, #1158) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I'm currently working with other farmers from our small farmer's market to have reusable bags available for our shoppers.

Since my local chapter is still starting up I have asked if anyone would like to swap bags with me on the forum thread I started about this project."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  12:38:19 PM  Show Profile
Shari Dodd (Ms. Hannigan, #1158) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I made a scarf! I started at Christmas, and finished at Valentine's day. WAY more than 3 hours, but I'm very happy with how it turned out!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page