Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  12:48:41 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“I wove my kitchen rug. Setting up the loom took me about a week, the weaving itself took a day, and finishing it (knotting and backing) took about 2 days, all done by hand. at least 40 hours.

I love it, my cats loves to poop on it. It works in my kitchen as long as I am home and watching the cat!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  12:50:05 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Spinning Merit Badge!

“I took a fiber arts class and spun wool from my own sheep, alpaca, bamboo, merino, cellulose, and yak.

I need my own wheel so I can practice more, but I love it, my trunk is full of fiber ready to be processed.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  12:52:47 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I'm finishing up a 5 year cross stitch of mother nature changing the seasons, ive done 2 others but they were much smaller. I just need to do the fine line embroidery and frame it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  1:00:16 PM  Show Profile
Karen Spires (#3975) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“The Mom of my husband's best friend taught me to knit. Very appropriate since it is Mother's Day today and I am remembering the wonder of a great skill and hours of fun she gave me when she taught me. I have made several things but I earned this badge by knitting two pair of what I call Scout Socks(Scout Socks because they are the same color of a 1961 IH Scout my husband is restoring. One pair for my husband, another for my younger son.

They turned out well. Both fit the feet they were made for. They are made with KnitPicks Stroll, fingering weight yarn which launders well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  1:01:28 PM  Show Profile
Karen Spires (#3975) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“Knitting in the round in various pattern stitches, including cables, leaves, flowers, pom-poms, putting together a simple sweater pattern.

The sweater for my younger son turned out very well and fit perfectly. It is a pull-over hoodie style in chunky yarn.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  1:04:07 PM  Show Profile
Karen Spires (#3975) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I saved buttons from worn out clothes since I was on my own. When I inherited my Mom's button tin, I combined those I saved with hers. Some from the 50's and my own baby clothes.

Recently I have bought some in antique stores, don't ask me why but I keep them separate from my "own" collection.

I dig through the tin often to replace buttons on shirts or pants or for decoration. In the picture I am sending you see the family button tin and the store bought buttons in the mason jars. I was motivated to look at buttons due to the MaryJanesFarm issue that talked about the history of buttons.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  1:11:08 PM  Show Profile
Wendy Richardson (Henrietta Cluckington, #5875) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We have had chickens and rabbits for two years now. We live in a town where you can raise chickens in your backyard even in town.

Chickens
Chicken Nugget- Buff Orphington
Rocky- Marran?
Liberty- not sure
Justice- Jersey Giant
Nightingale Jr- Black Australourp?
Our Baby Chicks
Tigger- Red Star
Hemi-?

Rabbits Oh Gosh
My Daughter Paige is in 4-H.
She is on the CO Boulder County Rabbit Judging Team.

Last year we raised Mini Rex Rabbits. We harvested one and decided it was too small to eat. We have now went to the opposite end and are raising Flemish Giants.

We just had a chick die because we let out from under the heat lamp to soon. We did just have a litter of kits. 10 today and we had a litter of 5 last week. We have a good deal with a fellow rabbit raiser, We give her our unwanted rabbits.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  1:16:28 PM  Show Profile
Patti White (P.Ann, #4415) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Dyeing for Color Merit Badge!

“While visiting Shaker Village of Pleasant in Kentucky a year ago, I was fascinated with the weaving and dyeing that was perfected by the Shaker women. They not only used dyes from plants and insects, they also harvested and spun wool from their livestock and kept a worm farm for the purpose of making silk. In their gift shop I purchased a book called “Natural Dyes and Home Dyeing” by R. Adrosko to mark my enthusiasm for trying to dye fabrics when I returned home. An excellent historical account of dyeing fabric, the book also had simple to follow, tried and true recipes to follow. I was committed to using only plants that were growing on our property and to get a variety of colors.

I set an electric hot plate on my planting table in the garage, found an old 2 gallon pot with a lid and set out to plan my ‘color wheel’! My fabric was 100% cotton muslin torn into varying sizes.

Here are the recipes I used and the results:

Fabric prep mordant for berry dyes:
Prepared fabric by boiling in 8 cups water and ½ c. salt for 1 hour.
Thoroughly rinsed but kept fabric wet

Mulberry Dye – 2 c. berries – 4 c. water
Boiled and mashed. Strained through cheese cloth. Put strained dye back in pot and added 2 cups water. Added fabric to dye and boiled for 1 hour. Rinsed off in tub with garden hose and hung to dry.

Fabric prep mordant for plant dyes;
Prepared fabrics by boiling in 8 cups water and 2 cups vinegar for 1 hour. Thoroughly rinsed but kept fabric wet.

I followed the same recipe and proportions used in the Mulberry dye but used these plant materials: spinach; yellow yarrow; walnut sawdust; pink rose petals; and coffee grounds from my kitchen.

I wore gloves while working with dyes and put the strained mash from each batch in my compost pile. I love the muted shades of my dyed fabrics and hope to someday make a mini quilt using just these fabrics. I presented the idea to my 4H quilting girls as an idea for a project for next year’s county fair. We’ll see!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  1:21:31 PM  Show Profile
Patti White (P.Ann, #4415) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I purchased this “Lorax” quilt pattern and kit from an online vendor on clearance after the movie had long been past. I rarely work with kits because I think they tend to stifle creativity but this particular theme intrigued me AND it came with all 100% organic fabric. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on that! It was very much an experience with fabric that has changed the way I think of comfort, feel and durability. It was a dream to work with, no odd smells coming from the iron when I pressed the pieces and even though it left a bit more fibers to clean from the sewing machine the soft feel was a treat for this fabric-aholic! The piecing process was varied because of the rotary cutting on the pieced blocks but scissor cutting on the panels. Instead of adding a binding to the edge, I just cut the backing 1-1/2 inches wider on all 4 sides and machine stitched it all the way around. It needed to be durable and washable for my 3 grandchildren who love to snuggle-up, and make tents and tunnels. This quilt now lives in Switzerland with those 3 adorable kids! It was one of my favorite projects and I loved sharing it with friends while it was work in process.

The proof of how great this quilt is will be determined by the pictures I receive of it's true creative uses! I'm actually hoping for worn corners, and some fading with numerous laundering. Only then, will it have turned out like I wanted.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2014 :  4:01:05 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I am continuing to change over more of my health and beauty products to natural and organic alternatives, or forgoing them altogether. I also made a couple batches of soap with my daughter. One is so mild you can use it as a bar shampoo, the other is a simple castile soap to use in making my own laundry soap.

Performing ones ablutions is an important ritual. Having healthy products makes the ritual even more satisfying.

Adding wintergreen eo to soap at trace causes the soap to trace faster, a lot faster! We had a lot of fun making the soap; chemistry in the kitchen.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2014 :  4:04:12 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I have continued to change over the foods I get for our family to organic varieties, trying a new food each week. I have gotten some pretty strange looks from my family at this, but jicama is great!

Finding new foods, that are organic, to try is challenging, but worth it. With the opening of the local farmers markets, it is a little easier. We are also trying to keep our foods more local and buy things that are in season. Right now we are eating tons of asparagus!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2014 :  4:09:19 PM  Show Profile
Marti Seelye (Marti732, #2684) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I wanted to make dishcloth gifts for my mother-in-law and sister-in-law for Mother's Day but I didn't know how to crochet very well and didn't know how to follow a pattern. So.. I bought a "learning crochet" book and a book of patterns for dishcloths and took off. Since I didn't know what the stitches were, or what they were called or what the abbreviations meant, the learning book was really helpful.

The first couple were not very good, so I'm using them, but I got better with practice, learned how to read the patterns and what the abbreviations meant. I was able to make 2 dishcloths each for Mom and Sis and must say they turned out quite well. They loved them! So I'm making more for others for next Christmas. Also going to get started on a baby afghan.. wish me luck! I don't have a digital camera, but when i get one I'll take pics of the one's I'm making for Christmas 2014!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2014 :  4:15:20 PM  Show Profile
Valene Brewer (#5897) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I started my first button collection 60 years ago when I was married.
As I was no longer sewing the majority of my family's clothing, I gave away my button collection to my daughters a few years ago.

When I joined Farmgirl Sisterhood, I started a new collection. I found buttons that I had forgotten I had. I also checked clothing and found extra buttons on them. I also received a few buttons as a gift.

I think it turned out very well. There is a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors. I found out that I have not lost the habit of saving buttons.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2014 :  4:20:14 PM  Show Profile
Amber Warfield (awarfield, #4582) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“I had researched a few heirloom varieties and seed companies before starting my seeds this year. I then chose Botanical Interests and purchased a variety of seeds from them. I also read the book, Gardening with Heirloom Seeds by Lynn Coulter. I have planted at least 5% if not more from Heirloom varieties this year. All of my tomatoes are Heirloom and a good variety of my flowers I started from seed are also.

So far so good. I can't wait to try and save seeds this year from my tomatoes. This will be my first year of doing that.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2014 :  4:25:28 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Mathis (Andi, #5199) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“For this badge I spent time researching different different health and beauty product. It was interesting to see that even products labeled organic or natural didn't mean they were good for our plant. It was also interesting to learn more about testing health and beauty products on animals.I didn't know there were special labeling on products for that.

I choose to make deodorant out of baking soda and coconut oil.

I do not mind the new deodorant at all. I use it everyday.I am glad I made the switch.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2014 :  4:32:50 PM  Show Profile
Carole Prevost-Meier (ceridwen, #3610) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I knitted my first pair of socks. I used a yarn made of 85% Merino super wash wool and 15% mulberry silk. I took them apart quite a few times (restarting from zero) because I had a difficult time understanding decreases on the gusset. Then there was the kitchener stitch!!! I'm all good with that now! They feel so soft and nice on the feet! I'm hooked. I can see wearing only hand knitted socks in my future!

Although I like how they turned out for my first pair, I would like to change the shape of the toe. Perhaps create a pattern with a more rounded toe. I would also extend the sock cuff from 6 in. to 8 in. I have since purchased a couple of sock books and am looking to create my own design!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2014 :  4:32:54 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4901) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I earned my badge by making my own laundry detergent,bath bar soaps, window cleaner and an all purpose cleaner. I put all my recipes in a folder and made also made a second folder and gave to my daughter.

I have tried all of the recipes and I am pleased with all of them. My daughter was excited about trying them too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2014 :  4:37:06 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4901) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“I have raised beds and each Spring I plan out my garden on graph paper and I keep a journal of what I plant and in which beds. I've read the book "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds.' I use heirloom seeds in my garden.

Keeping my journal helps me to remember what I've planted so I can rotate my crops.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2014 :  4:38:45 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4901) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“I earned this badge by using seeds that I saved from last years plants and more than 25% are heirloom seeds. Using heirloom seeds from previous years insures me of a good crop this year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2014 :  4:40:22 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4901) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“This year all my vegetable and herbs will be heirloom plants and seeds. I shared seeds from last years plants with family and friends and hope they to will continue to use heirloom seeds.

My son planted over half of his garden with heirloom this year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2014 :  4:45:44 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4901) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level 3 R's Rule Merit Badge!

“At our Farmgirl meeting we made plant markers using tin can lids.I mounted them on tree branches to stake them in the ground.We discussed how to keep our garden tools sharp and the importance of taking care of our tools.

I store my tools in sand with oil during the winter months and oil my handles in the spring.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2014 :  4:49:21 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4901) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“I installed shelves in my sewing using metal wall brackets which I screwed to the wall and metal arms and wood boards for shelves. I read the book "Dare To Repair' by Julie Sussman and got all kinds of ideas.

The shelves added lots of storage for all my fabric.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2014 :  4:51:57 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4901) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“To earn this badge I redid my frontroom. I painted the ceiling and then I wallpapered the walls. It all turned out really good.It made the room look more country.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  3:53:41 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Johnson (#5773) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Waste management, Double D, and Curbside Recycling are some of the businesses that have recycling bins that can be brought to you house to use, the dumps hand recycling containers 2 dumps in town. Pacific recycling and Van Gunnies take metal,plastic and glass.

We use the dump 2 times a year and use the rec center weekly.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  3:59:35 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Johnson (#5773) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We recycle newspapers in the summer. In the winter we use them to start the wood stove, as that's how we heat our house. We recycle all scrap metal and cans at the recycling center. All plastic and glass that we can we take to the rec center or the dump to put in the recycle bins. We have a compost bin that we put leaves, grass uncooked veg and fruit in.

Works well for us my daughter in law says i'm one one the most green person she knows.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page